Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=DF= Design Notes September 30: The Burning Village

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= Design Notes September 30: The Burning Village
Page 1 of 3123>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/30/2017 21:28:57   
  Karika
Level 1 Laughing Tog

quote:

Tomix
The Burning Village

Journey to the village of Entwhistle this week: a quiet, unassuming town far away from the dangers of the world…and discover that not all is what it seems to be. A dark scheme threatens to envelop Entwhistle in a sea of flames—and you’ll be there to witness its first steps.

Discover what lies in store for you in this burning village…right now!

(HINT: For the people who normally disable their in-game sound, turning up the volume a bit might add to this quest’s ambience!)

Head over to Ash in Book 3 to play this quest!

Hey there! I’m Aeon, one of DragonFable’s volunteer writers. Hope you guys are enjoying this quest chain so far!

This week, I thought I’d give you a little background detail on how “The Burning Village” was written. Putting some “design” back in the Design Notes, essentially!

• Chronologically, the main part of this quest happens shortly after the Tournament of Champions—but before the Gala.

• The idea of a burning village was based on a story I had written up for AQWorlds in 2015. Originally, it was only just a forest—no village was involved. In addition, the forest would have already been burnt to cinders by the start of the quest.

• The walkthrough and the battle at the end are the only parts of the quest that never changed. Everything else was either revised or moved to a subsequent release.

• Barring two characters, every new NPC in this quest has had at least one name change.

• Assuming you’ve turned your sound on, the person you play as and the unsettling atmosphere are supposed to clash. On one hand, you’re walking headfirst into an unknown danger. On the other hand, you’re playing as someone you’re equally unsure of—which can result in one of two things. You might either feel more at ease from what you know (or don’t know) about that character, or end up being gripped by their fear as well.

• The Hero was originally supposed to make an appearance towards the end of this quest, but it was unnecessary and would’ve ended up like the Tournament finale.

That’s pretty much all I had for you this week! Thanks for reading, and see you next time!

Tags: Aeon Six Heroes Tomix
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
9/30/2017 21:34:49   
Strength

spoiler:

Aw lordie... Gareth looks so cool! I want his sword SO BADLY!

Edit: Hm, why is Lysander bombing villages? I don't see how he would benefit from riling up us, the Rose and the Shears.

Maybe he wants the Rose and the rebels to start a war with each other? It seemed like it was inevitable anyways, so I'm not really sure.

< Message edited by Strength -- 9/30/2017 22:06:22 >

Shadow Warrior is Best Warrior!

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgabmote5Nwv0GJ4QWfYGfQ

http://www.dragonfable.com/df-chardetail.asp?id=22405731

https://twitter.com/StrengthDf
DF  Post #: 2
9/30/2017 21:42:59   
Melrakki018

spoiler:

Faust runs with his hands in his pockets...

This may be one of the most weirdly amusing things I've seen lately. Definitely worth the extra day.

< Message edited by Melrakki018 -- 9/30/2017 21:44:20 >
Post #: 3
9/30/2017 21:58:27   
GammaCavy

Ah man, I haven't heard that music in ages!
DF  Post #: 4
9/30/2017 22:07:42   
SilverAngel
Friendly!

Whoa, good call on turning on the sound; the ambience was amazing.
spoiler:

Of all characters to play as I wasn't expecting Faust, I wonder if the 6 Heroes storyline will reveal more about him.
So the blue haired man from the Gala is named Lysandr? I first thought he was a part of The Rose but now it seems he's a part of his own group and possibly the big bad of this storyline.

This was a really good quest, I'm excited to see more of this story ^^

DF AQW  Post #: 5
9/30/2017 22:08:15   
Greyor_42

spoiler:

who is this lysander fellow? also, this seems to mean that he is NOT xan, as some had previously believed

only time will tell, i guess...
DF  Post #: 6
9/30/2017 22:15:18   
ergotth
AQW Lore-titician

@Greyor
spoiler:

to be honest, I wouldn't think it was Xan, he might be crazy and all, but he kinda have a focus for his madness, a grudge with all the people he met, so burning a random village seens out of his general focus, like, "why would I burn a random village I've been at?"
DF AQW  Post #: 7
9/30/2017 22:19:17   
Greyor_42

@ergotth

spoiler:

like i said, "previously believed". like, back when he was first introduced at the gala, there were a bunch of theories going around about how he might actually be a cured xan.
DF  Post #: 8
9/30/2017 22:23:14   
docblade

I dunno wich of all the things i want to say counts as spolier, so i will put6 everything in it and decide afterwards

spoiler:

So Faust is the next hero...or at least it seemed like it.
The muscle oaf he was talking about...i think that refers either to Akanthus or the Hero.
A strange group that wipes out villages with...bombs? and kills the survivors...i dont like them

But what is with his attack far on the right? I played through every combination (low hp, other skill used before etc) but nothing worked
Almost unneccessary to say, but i want to see him travel with the hero...with snazzy and sarcastic remarks on every action.
Nice work. Totally worth it
DF MQ  Post #: 9
9/30/2017 22:45:11   
Vaalirus

spoiler:

I wasn't sure at first, but Faust definitely feels like a conglomerate anime character. The way he runs, the multiple punches in a blink of an eye in a style much like that of other anime, that hairstyle that reminds me of certain angry little shorty killing bigger naked humanoids, and then the absolute idc approach he takes with his enemies. Then there's his red eyes being his most distinctive feature besides his clothing, close up they seem pretty normal but I swear there are times where I thought the pupils turned into the pissed off version of Sage mode from Naruto. I don't maybe it's just me.

But back to other topics I wonder who this Lysander guy is as I personally never though he was Xan since, if my memory serves right, we were told he was still off sulking in his fortress. However, it'd be a cool twist if he somehow found about Xan's flowers and left them with Jaania to mess with her, unlikely possibility at the moment though. Though I'm interested in what his group overall goal is by blowing up these areas.

In either event, things are getting juicy for the six heroes!

Yesterday's loss leads to folly
DF  Post #: 10
9/30/2017 22:49:35   
LouisCyphere

spoiler:

DF once again proves that it has the best stories and execution out of AE games.
At least we have a name for the cyan-haired guy. Lysander.
Not much info has been revealed aside from Lysander being the one behind the bombings and the reason why Faust was being followed by the soldiers at the end of the Tournament

Also, the Bargain skill is probably a foreshadowing and also cements that Faust was inspired by the Germanic Folklore Faust.

Another thing to note, it was probably some kind of magical bomb. I didn't expect Burning Zombies out of a regular bomb.

< Message edited by LouisCyphere -- 9/30/2017 22:51:18 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 11
9/30/2017 23:37:17   
Kyros127

spoiler:

I noticed a curious detail that some might overlook. One of Faust skills was called The Bargain. So far I have not figured out how to use this skill or what it does but does anyone else think it might be related to the term Faustian bargain and his supposedly name sake?

spoiler:

As for Lysander being Xan I still wouldn't rule it out. Lots of fire in this quest. Burning down a village is kinda Xan's M.O.
Post #: 12
9/30/2017 23:57:03   
GammaCavy

Please tell me I wasn't the only person thinking "These guys are like comedy copies of the hero who make snap judgements of people based on eye color."
DF  Post #: 13
10/1/2017 0:27:07   
Axumeus

spoiler:

Am I the only one getting a bit of a Constantine vibe from Faust?

spoiler:

Lysander is a derivative name of Alexander, lending further credence to the theories that he is either Xan or trying to make people think he is. My money's on the former, since Xan has never been the crafty and composed type in either of his "incarnations"
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 14
10/1/2017 0:31:43   
ShadowStarr5

spoiler:

It seems Faust won't be joining our group quite so soon.

I definitely appreciate the lack of musical accompaniment for the majority of this quest. Listening to the crackle of flames consuming lost futures as Faust, a character we know next to nothing about, searches through the wreckage, definitely confuses one as to his moral/ethical standing. Not that it would have changed anything, I suspect, I am still annoyed that he didn't even try to explain his presence near the village.

Lysander...welp, there goes the Xan theory.

In other news:

I've been noticing this since the Destiny Weapons update: has anyone else had insane framerate issues with flash on Firefox as of late? At random times while going through the game it just starts to chug really badly, like 7-10 seconds of delay bad. Anyone know if its a browser, flash, or PC problem?

~Regards,
A Rampant AI~
AQ DF  Post #: 15
10/1/2017 0:44:08   
docblade

@^ I've experienced it too, together with something more: Every time i go into fullscreen and leave the mode again, the screen is all black and i have to refresh the side. When i think about it, both symptoms started to occur at the same time
DF MQ  Post #: 16
10/1/2017 1:38:05   
Greyor_42

@axumeus

spoiler:

still most likely NOT xan. and i have three things supporting this.

first, we know that xan still lives in his fortress of fire and lava, as we saw rose soldiers searching it, and panic when they got news he was coming back home. meanwhile lysander is sitting in a office that is most obviously NOT on fire, nor has any trace of fire having ever been in contact with anything in there.

second, xan only has fire elementals as minions, or at least creatures aligned with the fire element. lysander clearly has an army of regular humans of sorts, something xan would never be able to have.

finally, we have aeon himself, the CREATOR of lysander,hinting, if not outright confirming, that lysander and xan are NOT the same character
DF  Post #: 17
10/1/2017 2:46:16   
fxmybrute13

quote:

Chronologically, the main part of this quest happens shortly after the Tournament of Champions—but before the Gala.

But doesn't the servant ask, "How was the Gala?" Unless he/she is referring to another gala other than the one the Hero attended. Which in hindsight, is probably the case. Because in our gala, the King got assassinated, and I doubt anybody would describe that as uneventful.

On another note, DF's music always accompanies the story way too well. It's almost a crime to have the sound off option available. I only turn it down when farming. The sound effects, I'm not a fan of, but they're not overdone and are fine.

< Message edited by fxmybrute13 -- 10/1/2017 2:54:39 >
DF AQW  Post #: 18
10/1/2017 2:53:21   
TheFarReach

quote:

main part

That and the "Days Later" screen makes me think that happened after the Gala.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 19
10/1/2017 2:59:58   
Lord Alsvinich

spoiler:

I wish someone had recorded my reaction when it was Faust who stopped the axe, I was incredibly excited for some reason, this quest was extremely well written and fun. Well done Aeon
Post #: 20
10/1/2017 4:14:22   
mahasamatman

spoiler:

1) Was that rose soldier... Sexually harassing Lydia? Those guys are real ****s. This quest was significantly more violent than previous ones.
I quite like the new mature, slightly darker style DF is getting.

2) I think the "Muscular oaf" was Fangblade... Are they working together?...

< Message edited by mahasamatman -- 10/1/2017 4:41:11 >
DF  Post #: 21
10/1/2017 5:25:34   
Alamiran

@Above
spoiler:

Maybe Faust thought Fangblade would be in the finale of the tournament, and that by getting to the finale with him, he could ask him where "it" is. Maybe "it" was in that box with the uoside down heart?
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 22
10/1/2017 5:26:22   
lastspartan

Things are really heating up. Punks are punny
Post #: 23
10/1/2017 5:31:59   
Sneevillord

Wow, I honestly thought DF was going to kill off another child. I was genuinely caught off guard. What trap are we being pulled into by the Insufferable Royal Army?
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 24
10/1/2017 6:32:59   
Skullkyopi

As if the last Six Heroes quest didn't already drive it home, Aeon does some good work.

spoiler:

Didn't expect an actual terrorist bombing in DragonFable, but then again, I probably should have. You guys have been growing up along with the fans, so of course the story is gonna grow up/mature with us. I love it. The story. Not the bombing.

I'll be eagerly waiting for the continuation of this saga. Also, for Falwynn. Can't have enough of her, quite frankly.
DF MQ  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= Design Notes September 30: The Burning Village
Page 1 of 3123>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition