Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=DF= Archivist Armor Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= Archivist Armor Discussion Thread
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/6/2017 20:54:56   
  Karika
Level 1 Laughing Tog

This is the discussion thread for Archivist.

Now for the rules of this thread:

• All =AE= Comprehensive Forum Rules apply.
  • On suggestions: The DragonFable staff offer specialized suggestion threads from time to time and you may post your suggestions when those events occur.
  • Please keep discussions to Archivist.
  • Most importantly: Have fun!

< Message edited by Karika -- 12/6/2017 21:30:40 >
  • AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
    12/6/2017 21:24:22   
    Da Awesomancer

Oi, Karika, How are we supposed to keep the discussion to Icebound Revenant if this is an Archivist discussion thread?

Whoops! Fixed. ~Karika

I'll admit, this isn't very good class. Even in quests that are nothing more than a single boss fight, the class still falls short of its competition by requiring set up to utilize any skill amongst its set, aside from the Ultimate Orb one.

On a note that's less about mechanics and more about animations, I can't help but feel that the Archivist's movements feel really stiff. That's probably just a personal thing though.

< Message edited by Karika -- 12/6/2017 21:31:52 >

Yo, I'm a person who says things sometimes.

Pretty cool, right?
    DF AQW  Post #: 2
    12/7/2017 1:04:42   
    Decrogath

Will Archivist receive new skills soon? Class feels really incomplete imo.
    DF  Post #: 3
    12/7/2017 1:38:13   
    LurkBlackSmith

@Decrogath: It will recieve the last skill after Tomix(named Dove now) gets time to do it.
    DF  Post #: 4
    12/7/2017 11:18:53   
    snakehulk21220

it needs way more than just one more skill, but it wont get any more, its very sad its the only calendar class thats only half a class
    AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 5
    12/8/2017 0:03:07   
    ergotth
    AQW Lore-titician

I dont think one new skill will redeem all the mistakes made with this class... in fact, allow me to copy/paste my complete feedback on the class:

Compared to all calendar classes and even non-calendar classes, Archivist is the weakest and least-practical, not to mention very circunstancial class, with this AWFUL cooldown mechanics that, IMO, simply ruined what was going to be the cutest, nostalgic and ingenious class of all the calendar collection. It's simply ridiculous how the balancing screams "DO NOT USE THIS CLASS", how the decisions made it a waste of time (pun intended) and even the mechanic of some skills are unpractical, such as the stun. It's not a full chance, the chances are not each hit, but the total of the auto attack, and it's one turn, so you have to use it again and again to keep the enemy down, which ALSO means you have to first pick other skills to complement your attack with the stun being the last to, well, last longer. It's basicaly a setup hell. If I could "fix" this class in a rebalancing...

-CUT OFF the cooldown carry-over. There is no argument, not a single player agreed with this mechanic. Just remove it entirely, there is no one asking for it to be kept.
    -Reduce Celestia's heal and also give it a proportionaly normal cooldown. Or make it a "reset heal" like Pyromancer's Phoenix reborn, that have a good excuse to carry over the cooldown.
    -Give it a sub-par useable heal maybe a 10% HP HoT or a leech.*
    -Give it a shield*
    -Give it a blind (optional)*
    -Give the stun a 100% chance like all the normal stuns in game but cut the empowerement from 5 to 3 turns to make it fair.
    -Reduce the Ultimate Orb turns from 5 to 3 or 2 to make it fair.

the skills with * are to be suggested with these "memories"
    Shield: Aegis casting a shield on us, Ash defending us from Caitiff's blast, or better yet, Dove doing the same. That "belly shield" would be awesome to use it whenever avaible xD
    Blind: Sek Duat, quite easy. Using any of his usual skills in the bossfights.
    Heal/Leech: Nythera using her void skills. Frydae draining Thursday. Anything that goes well with draining HP.
    DF AQW  Post #: 6
    12/8/2017 3:43:21   
    Winters Key

This is the worst calendar armour in the game, and it was a huge letdown. See my thread (http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=22304135) to know why it's weak in terms of its' strengths.
    But it's not just that.
    Archivist was supposed to, as ergotth, said, a CELEBRATION of the most heart-wrenching, memorable moments in Dragonfable - and it ended up being this underpowered, incomplete jumble of weak skills that takes several turns to set up. As many people have already said, 1 skill isn't going to fix the class. It needs a HUGE buff. Here's what I'm thinking:

(Option #1 - Let's say they only want to introduce 1 new skill to save time, so the staff can still say it's "complete")
    > REMOVE THE COOLDOWN CONTINUATION< It's a dumb mechanic, and I have no idea why the staff this thought it was a good idea.
    > Make the FIRST attack of the Destroyer's Hunger enchantment a guaranteed stun. The others could be a 45% chance to stun for 1 turn.
    > Reduce Celestia's Sorrow cooldown to 30, make it increase your health to 30% with each attack, but remove the shield to make it balanced.
    > Maybe add a "defensive" Celestia's Sorrow move, being a stackable +25 shield move on each attack. Maybe it could last for 6 or 7 turns.
    > Remove the cooldown on Wrath of Wargoth, it's already terrible and forces a slow playstyle.
    > Xan's Madness could use a slightly higher damage boost.

Or let's say the staff actually admit that the class is incomplete (which won't happen, but we can dream) - ergotth's buffs would really fix this class.
    DF AQW Epic  Post #: 7
    12/8/2017 10:57:05   
    Da Awesomancer

Yeah, the class needs a real overhaul for it to become even remotely worth using. The carrying over cooldowns are its most crippling factor, since they render it almost entirely worthless when going from fight to fight.

The lack of a full skillset is also something I dislike. As the others have said, this armor was advertised as a celebration of the story, of its most critical junctures, but instead we get some rather lackluster animations and effects.

Even the events the skills cover aren't the most important or memorable ones. The ending of Book One was one of the most intense events in DF, but all we got from it was the Ultimate Orb skill, even though the SMUDD was finale's showstealer.

And, maybe it's just me being a slightly newer player, but was the Pirates v Ninjas war really important enough to earn a skill spot over anything else in the story? I can't help but feel like a sidestory the Tomix/Weaver/Ravenloss saga would be a much better fit for a skill slot than an old war that had, as far as I can tell, no actual impact on the story as a whole.
    DF AQW  Post #: 8
    12/8/2017 21:24:34   
    Bamzalot

Throwing in my own thoughts on this, I agree that Archivist is quite underwhelming at the moment.

Playing around with, it is blatantly clear that this class is fantastic against bosses. Being able to skip several turns while dishing out fairly high damage is pretty good. Requiring a damage buff skill and a critical increase skill lowers the overall potential, but it doesn't totally kill the class. What does kill the class is the carry over cool downs. Every skill has a moderate to insanely long cool down time, and having them carry over between battles does nothing but hurt it.

To make the class more enjoyable, the best thing to do is to just drop the carry over cool downs. I really have no idea why that was ever a thing, because the class really wouldn't be that over powered without it. The class relies on a lot of setup to make the best use of skills. Every turn you spend buffing your attack is one less turn you have to use it. That, adding onto the cool downs, just makes the class tedious, boring, and weak. Kathool's madness does kind of help, but the cool down time of that skill is ridiculous, and in a lot of encounters the fight won't even last long enough to fully benefit from the skill.

Ultimate Orb Creation could keep a carry over cool down simply because that is such a powerful skill, and Celestia's Sorrow would probably be best off with a severe nerf in defensive power in exchange for being accessible at the start of every fight. As for a new skill, I think it would be good to have a skill with a long cool down that does NOT carry over that pauses the currently active affects from ticking down. This would help cover in the absence of Ultimate Orb while also giving an opportunity to build up skills and unleash a fully powered barrage.
    Post #: 9
    12/8/2017 23:11:35   
    ergotth
    AQW Lore-titician

actualy Awesomemancer, I find the choice of events quite fitting, maybe because I'm an older player, I found all the animations on the skills the rightful nostalgic events, and yes, Pirates vs Ninjas was an EPIC orb saga.
    DF AQW  Post #: 10
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= Archivist Armor Discussion Thread
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition