Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=DF= Design Notes January 26: Sir Jing's Weapons, Reimagined

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= Design Notes January 26: Sir Jing's Weapons, Reimagined
Page 1 of 41234>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/26/2018 16:40:28   
  Karika
Level 1 Laughing Tog

quote:

Verlyrus
Sir Jing's Weapons, Reimagined

Hey there, heroes!

This week in DragonFable, we've revisited an old quest from the early days of DragonFable and given it a complete makeover!

Find the two knights messing around with a catapult in Oaklore (Book 1 or Book 3), and ask them about Sir Jing, then trek your way through the storm to earn powerful items!

This is the first in DragonFable's "Reimagined" series, where every month, we'll try to do a release where we revisit old content and modernize it. Let us know if there are any old quests that you'd like to see reimagined!

Also this week, the sounds of combat have been changed up. Every element now has a unique sound, and most have gotten new sounds added. We'd love to hear your feedback about that as well!

Have a quest you want to see reimagined? Have feedback about new sounds? Want to chat about all things DragonFable? Join us on the official forums and follow us on twitter!

Join the discussion on the official forums!

Verlyrus Twitter

Tomix Twitter

Tags: Verlyrus
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
1/26/2018 16:46:10   
Sanani

Looks Gorgeous all i can say.
Also love new sounds, especially lighting, and curse.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 2
1/26/2018 16:52:37   
Aura Knight

That was quite nice. I never expected to see an update to such an old quest but it sure was a great one. Loved the environmental sounds and the new element sounds are quite nice. This game keeps improving and that's one of the reasons I keep coming back.

spoiler:

The only annoying thing was that I got struck by lightning too many times and eventually ended up with 0 hp. Didn't know this was possible. I suppose the constant rain animation was a little bit annoying. Perhaps the speed of the rain could have been a tad slower. But overall it was a nice release. Getting higher levels for the weapons most of us got first in game sure is great.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 3
1/26/2018 16:54:38   
ergotth
AQW Lore-titician

the quest looks AMAZING! The storm looks genuinely threatening with the way it becomes worse the closest you go to the top, the lightning "traps" were really ingenious, and I loved the surprise at the end when you defeat the elementals, was really well-though.

Now, the gorilaphant in the room: THE SOUNDS!
Seriously guys, wonderful job on the new sound effects, I especialy loved the one for ??? since I have 2 weapons with this "element", having this new sound instead of the usual "thud" is a refreshing change. The only one I didn't like was Light xD I kinda like the old one more, this "zing!" sound is just so corny, like those old flash games from the 2000s trying to show something "magical". Unless it's purposely tacky, then I'll probably be giggling a lot when fighting enemies weak to light.
DF AQW  Post #: 4
1/26/2018 16:54:53   
Kchaos

Let the nostalgia flow!
Post #: 5
1/26/2018 16:55:29   
Trigurax

this new sounds hurt my ears, i miss the old sounds already :(((
DF AQW  Post #: 6
1/26/2018 17:05:12   
Sanani

@Trigurax
Don't worry you will grow to them, but i must agree it is weird to listen to new sounds after so many years of good old ting, tung and zing.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 7
1/26/2018 17:07:38   
SilverAngel
Friendly!

I love the idea of going back and updating some of the old quests, especially if they all look this amazing. The mix of the rain and lighting did cause some slow down on my laptop but I'm loving the visuals.

Sound wise; I'm liking the new sound effects, though Light and Ice don't really fit IMO. It's nice that each element has it's own sound effect now.

DF AQW  Post #: 8
1/26/2018 17:19:21   
Tomix
Soulweaver

Yes, this is a big change and might take a while to get used to.
Also, if we'll feel like some sound effects really do not work, we'll listen to your suggestiong and either change or revert them.
DF  Post #: 9
1/26/2018 17:41:19   
Baron Dante

Hm. As far as revamping old stuff goes, I feel like the Dragon Egg Saga itself would be a good place to work at. It's basically the first major thing a player will do in the game, so it wouldn't hurt if it was updated to be up to newer standards. Of course, an entire storyline like that would take a long, long time to do if it was one quest at a time.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
1/26/2018 17:43:15   
Wizardlife

Absolutely amazing. Beautiful visuals and even if it did cause some minor lag, I really loved the rain and thunder animations too, and the music fit perfectly. Also cool that the chest has higher level tiers now, and that the quest now scales to your level. The lightning strikes taking away your HP if you got hit was a clever idea too, although I think the healing pad might be too far away since I was losing HP pretty fast and almost lost by the time I got to the pad, then again, I was using Master Soulweaver and didn't use the evasion skill until my HP got super low, so that might be on my end. Just worried about lower level characters getting defeated too quickly before they reach the pad and then give up on trying to do the quest again.

As for the sounds, they're not bad, but I personally prefer the old ones, though that is probably because of nostalgia. I'd like if there was an option to toggle the new/old combat element sounds in the options menu so we can choose our preference.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 11
1/26/2018 18:02:44   
Vahn_Kaichi

I remember going through this quest lots of times. Nice to see it updated. Maybe the Vurr Man quest, from Oaklore, could be next? Would love Floating Cave, too.

Really cool work, guys.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 12
1/26/2018 18:03:18   
Stephen Nix

Undead Penguinmancer
DF Pedia

Thunderhead's new look is awesome. It's nice to see those weapons get an update too.

Great work DF Team.

Totally forgot: Favourite sound is Evil.

< Message edited by Stephen Nix -- 1/26/2018 18:07:15 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 13
1/26/2018 18:04:05   
Strength

Overall, I really like the release! I really appreciate that you guys haven't forgotten about the quests that came out over ten years ago and are revamping them. The quest looks great, and most of the new sound effects, I really like! The only bad thing in the quest though, is that I think the rain really slows down performance. I had to put the game on Medium for it to run smoothly. Maybe there could be less/slower rain? For the element sounds, the only ones i don't like are ???, Stone and Silver. I don't think Stone and ??? really sound right for striking with a weapon, and IMO, Silver sounds more like Ice from AQ :P. Also, there is a volume discrepancy between the new and old sounds. The new sounds are louder than the old ones.

Shadow Warrior is Best Warrior!

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgabmote5Nwv0GJ4QWfYGfQ

http://www.dragonfable.com/df-chardetail.asp?id=22405731

https://twitter.com/StrengthDf
DF  Post #: 14
1/26/2018 18:31:08   
GammaCavy

The volume level was inconsistent, with the thunder louder than the sound effects, music that didn't quite seem to fit, and I usually got the old sounds, thunk, thunk, thud. The graphics though.... breathtaking.
DF  Post #: 15
1/26/2018 18:39:02   
Vonix

I guess there isn't that much to say by now. The new sounds are really good, although some don't fit. The light element sounds like a magical girl attack, LOL
Yeah, and the rain causes some lag. Maybe it's too much for the game to handle right now. But, anyway, everything looks really great now. No mixed feelings, just... so good (x)
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 16
1/26/2018 18:41:22   
GammaCavy

I think I prefer the old sound for Light attacks.
DF  Post #: 17
1/26/2018 18:41:30   
katcult

wow .. major upgrade. Love the lightning and new sound effects!!
AQ DF  Post #: 18
1/26/2018 18:47:22   
GammaCavy

Another thought as I continue up the mountain, is that the new healing pad design seems a but out of place in this environment. Anyone else have that reaction, or is it just me?
DF  Post #: 19
1/26/2018 18:52:27   
rock364

Will it be possible to alternate between sound effects?
Post #: 20
1/26/2018 18:58:57   
GammaCavy

Rock has a good point there. Maybe Retro sounds to go with the retro Armour in the librasaem?
That moment when you beat the third boss and the whole sky clears, after the threat and menace of fighting your way there.... amazing.
DF  Post #: 21
1/26/2018 19:03:08   
rock364

Thanks Gamma, I'm sure many of you like the new sounds but it's a bit of a mixed bag for me, the sounds make think of something that would come out of futuristic weapons, although I like the energy one.
Post #: 22
1/26/2018 19:36:02   
GammaCavy

^ Eh, I like some of the new sounds, but prefer the old sound for light and the thunk of stone.

< Message edited by GammaCavy -- 1/26/2018 19:39:27 >
DF  Post #: 23
1/26/2018 19:54:56   
Gabriel Castro

When it comes to sounds, I much prefer contextual sounds rather than a standard for every element. A good example of this would be the DragonLord revamp sounds. They were a very good addition to the game, but were removed unfortunately. I hope to see more unique/distinct sounds on important enemies as well in the future.

Today's quest was incredible, and I'm looking forward to more revamps. Dante's suggestion is a good one. As for the lag, I'm happy to endure it, because the finished product was just amazing.
DF AQW  Post #: 24
1/26/2018 19:57:25   
Christophoses
AQW Tester
&
Lore Adept

The nostalgic feels. Sir Jing's Weapons is one of the most vivid memories I have about early DF. I love this!

The sounds... ARE AMAZING! I'm having a tough time choosing a favorite sound between Fear, ???, Evil and Bacon. I have a couple of feedback comments, but it's nothing major. First, I was a little disappointing that there wasn't anything for Ebil or Magic. They are the least used elements in the game, but it would have been funny to hear "Meh" every time you attack with an Ebil weapon. Second, I feel like Light's original sound was more appropriate. It just had a certain feel to it that was... right.

Overall, this is such a great update. It's the little things that make a huge difference.

< Message edited by Christophoses -- 1/26/2018 20:02:21 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= Design Notes January 26: Sir Jing's Weapons, Reimagined
Page 1 of 41234>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition