Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =DF= Design Notes January 26: Sir Jing's Weapons, Reimagined

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= Design Notes January 26: Sir Jing's Weapons, Reimagined
Page 2 of 4<1234>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/26/2018 19:59:14   
The Jop

Oh, yeah, that brings me back. It looks much more epic this way. Also, it reminds me that we need more puns. Serious story lines are enjoyable in their own right, but a crucial part of AE are the puns!

As for reimagined quests, how about the Amityvale Pumpkin Field or Well quest? I remember doing those a bunch of times.

< Message edited by The Jop -- 1/26/2018 20:16:35 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 26
1/26/2018 20:08:54   
rycarflare

AHHHHHH I LOVE HOW BACON SIZZLES!!!! Amazing job on the sounds guys! The quest is very stunning visually and it looks like a lot of work was put into it but, flash just doesn't do it justice unfortunately. I'll make sure to return to it once this game makes use of our graphics cards to see it in it's full glory.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 27
1/26/2018 20:17:41   
LadyYennifer

Is no one talking about this secret thing that Tomix might of slipped ingame? I could be wrong however.

https://twitter.com/TomixDF/status/957051376638595074

quote:

Ah, then you have most likely found one of Secundus' soulthread vials. Good luck following his threads! May the Avatars forgive you!
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 28
1/26/2018 20:28:02   
SilverAngel
Friendly!

@LadyYennifer: I've been trying to figure out what's been going on with that Twitter thread. It seems someone found something hidden ingame and is following the trial, but I'm not quite sure what it's all about aside from it's connected to Secundus.
DF AQW  Post #: 29
1/26/2018 20:29:27   
steambin96

Nice release, would asking for a reimagined technomancer be asking for too much?
Post #: 30
1/26/2018 20:31:58   
Greldracion

Quest was fantastic, and I'm glad to see that Sir Jing was all crit, no supplemental stats In terms of sounds, this is what I think of em:

Fire: has a nice swoosh, so pretty good, but could maybe use some punch.
Energy: Sparks fly, and my ears are happy.
Ice: sounds perfect, the cold will halt our foes.
Water: same old, so meh
Stone: sounds like a landslide with multi hit attacks, but by itself it almost sounds a little to tumbly-y if that makes sense.
Nature: Possibly my favorite sound and what I think could be used for wind too.
Wind: sounds like the startup to a gust, but it sounds a little weird.
Darkness: sounds pretty menacing, might need to work on it but pretty solid.
Silver: sounds great, you're chopping down creatures of the night, and this is the sound they'd most likely fear.
Poison: sounds caustic, A++
Disease: sounds like a coiled spring, but I don't know many sounds that could indicate disease.
Evil: souls of the dead work very well for this sound effect.
???: I think this and Fear could be switched.
Fear: switch with ???
Light: I like this sound, it's joyous and fun, though I do agree it might not be the most appropriate choice..
Metal: Ol' thunk is still here, could probably be changed.
Ebil: old darkness sound effect
Good: same ol' same old.
Bacon sizzles, it's good.

< Message edited by Greldracion -- 1/26/2018 20:34:03 >
AQ  Post #: 31
1/26/2018 20:50:30   
LouisCyphere

This would be the first time I would praise a game for the lag.

The new sound effects are really nice and the revamped quest really give that atmospheric feeling.
Hopefully, we get one week every month dedicated to revamping old quests.

Thanks Tomix and Verly!
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 32
1/26/2018 21:00:05   
Emrys

So beautiful! all i have to say

For most of the sounds i reallly like the update (shoutout to silver and stone) but the new darkness and light i feel don't really fit. They sound more out of mechquest, they're very laser-y. I guess it's just the years of having them but i'm really sad to see those old darkness and light sounds go, especially because they weren't doubled up. Maybe i'll get used to the new ones, but i feel like there could be better options. I think the rest of them are really cool though, and will definitely add to a new player's perception of the game!
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 33
1/26/2018 21:02:54   
Greyor_42

The only major complaint I have for the update to this quest is the wind at the top of the mountain. It's a bit.... overbearing, and kinda drowns everything out while it lasts.
DF  Post #: 34
1/26/2018 21:03:14   
mahasamatman

NOOOOOO!

Usually I'm super supportive towards new changes and improvements, and I love how much better DF has gotten over the last few years, but too many things have gone wrong here.
This truly is a classic quest. It was the obligatory second quest to countless players, who later used these weapons to defeat the bridge hydra, and it deserves to be remade better.

First of all, the rain. Too much. The game went SO SLOW, and looked so bad. On a computer that runs Shadow of Mordor on high settings. Sure, Flash is to blame, but it was still just too much.
Second, the traps. As a quest for starting players, I think they are unnecessary. I definitely support adding more challenges to quests than just fights, but this isn't the place (Also, lightning ALWAYS striking in the same place? Really?).

The scaling enemies and rewards are great, the new setting and graphics are awesome, but the rain and traps really ruined the remake for me.
DF  Post #: 35
1/26/2018 21:16:51   
Flabagast

Was was that about last week's quest being the most beautiful quest yet? The lightning effects, the traps, the twist at the end! I'm blown away (heh).
Thunderhead's new look is fantastic too. Hopefully we'll be seeing more of them in future releases!

I certainly haven't heard every new sound yet, but I really like nearly every one I've heard so far, Light being the only exception. Speaking of Revamped Dragonlord's sound effects, I feel as though the Light Dragon Spirit skill's sound might make a good replacement.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 36
1/26/2018 21:55:36   
Chazero

I, for one, welcome our new battle sound effects. In all honesty, I missed the incredible sound effects that revamped DL had but had to be removed because it turned every other sound effect off for whatever reason and these new sounds fill that void. As for the quest, beautiful. I do, however, worry about those with lower-end hardware.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 37
1/26/2018 21:59:19   
Gabriel Castro

It's unfortunate that they have been removed. If that bug was fixed, I'd love to have them back. Unique sounds such as DL's revamp sounds were amazing.
DF AQW  Post #: 38
1/26/2018 22:28:48   
S Prime

It is rather unfortunate that I've been playing Dragonfable with no sound for so long, especially since it appears a genuine effort has gone into improving them.

Might be because it took so long for any of them to be added besides the vanilla ones. The sheer volume of the clips on logon or within Falconreach might also be somewhat responsible for that. Actually, one of the thing I love most about Dragonfable is the fact I can watch other stuff on my second monitor while farming, which probably isn't the intended user behavior.

I'm actually surprised more attention is being given to old quests, the first revamp that was done to Oaklore many years back certainly threw me into a loop. Still, revisiting some of them might be a real treat!

---
The Great Pumpkin

< Message edited by S Prime -- 1/26/2018 22:32:58 >
DF  Post #: 39
1/27/2018 0:05:38   
GammaCavy

Mkay, I definitely like the old sound for light better than the new one. Ice I recognize from Aegis' teleport, Good and Evil are perfect, and silver somehow seems... nerdy.
DF  Post #: 40
1/27/2018 0:12:31   
Sakurai the Cursed

I personally love the lashing rain, it was one of my favorite things about this quest; it's all just so beautiful, it really feels like a terrible storm and it's so unique, plus it makes the surprise for beating the bosses feel really satisfying and impressive. I also don't see why a new player shouldn't be taught about traps early on, I dare say they'll learn not to step in them pretty quick. :P

As for the sounds, most of them are great but I feel Light and Silver at least are over-done, especially for multi-hit skills. Maybe Energy too. I also find it odd that Water is unchanged.

< Message edited by Sakurai the Cursed -- 1/27/2018 1:24:52 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 41
1/27/2018 1:06:00   
lastspartan

Called it
Post #: 42
1/27/2018 2:41:35   
LurkBlackSmith

So with the new sounds and retro sounds,as there'll probably be a lurking new music loop coming together after the revamp of Sir Jing's weapons and other areas?
DF  Post #: 43
1/27/2018 3:09:24   
Ninjaty

I was still under the impression that the poll, which allowed players to determine if book 1 content should have its graphics changed, was won with a "no, keep new graphics in new books" kind of answer. Why even give us the poll if you had no intention of honoring it?
Post #: 44
1/27/2018 3:34:53   
Arthur
How We Roll Winner
Dec14

I have a question!

So, if I already have Sir Jing's Sword in my inventory from back when I won it in the beginning, will that automatically change into the Reimagined version now?
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 45
1/27/2018 4:50:51   
Shiny_Underpants

This was a beautiful quest, although my framerate was... interesting. Given that this computer even lags Microsoft Word, perhaps that shouldn't be notable. The graphics do appear to be pushing the limits of Flash, though. I'm not particularly proficient with Flash, but from what I do know, I may tentatively suggest that more bitmap assets might be a good thing.

I prefer most of the new sounds. The old ones always seemed sort of tacky. Silver, in particular, actually sounds like metal now (although quite crystalline). The actual sound of metal clashing (like in a swordfight or spearfight) can be pretty deafening however, so possibly realism shouldn't be the goal...

In regards to the next quest for a revamp, potentially the potion training quests from Reens and Alina? How they are currently is very tedious and off-putting.

quote:

~original: @Baron Dante
As far as revamping old stuff goes, I feel like the Dragon Egg Saga itself would be a good place to work at. It's basically the first major thing a player will do in the game, so it wouldn't hurt if it was updated to be up to newer standards. Of course, an entire storyline like that would take a long, long time to do if it was one quest at a time.

I'm thinking if you were to go to that much trouble, it'd be better to just make a new introductory questline. The dragon egg saga's graphics wasn't the only thing that's improved in recent years.
I considered bringing this up in its own thread, but as things are Dragonfable doesn't really have an introductory questline that reflects its current quality. It's an issue that's been causing me some difficulty in recommending the game to new players.

Unfortunately, though, there are, as far as I am aware, some six questlines currently in progress; I know the staff are working as well as they can with the limitations, but... new players aside, I really just want to see the continuation of these storylines (especially the main one). The release schedule so far has been just a little too slow for my interest.
DF MQ  Post #: 46
1/27/2018 5:32:38   
Necro Bradford

First off I would like to say Tomix is one sneaky dev putting them vials in there and are they pure genius especially the secret it holds. Well played.

Secondly Sir Jing's quest: Words can't describe how happy it is to see old quests that i havent played in forever get a revamp like that. It was beautifully crafted, the "traps" were sneaky and keeps ya on ya toes, and the ending of that quest with that ambiance...it was amazing. Ya really out done yourselves. Even more amazing are the new scaled weapons as well as their redesigns. If this quest was like this when I first started out, -insert take my money for a DA meme here-.

Finally the new sounds: I got to say to be able to swing a Bacon weapon and make it sound like it's Bacon or any weapon alignment must be difficult, but most were realy spot on. However, when it comes to Ice, Ebil, Good and Water, they can use a bit of tweaking like make Ice the sound of ice crackling under heavy weight or how a glacier breaks off from its ice shelf, Ebil although I will really get annoyed with the "meh", it would fit pretty well. Good....anything better than the Victory theme. Finally Water, the sound is iconic but would be better if it sounds like how waves crash against rocky cliffsides. Other than that I love these new sounds.

This what as pretty amazing release and I hope for more like these for the coming revamps of quests.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 47
1/27/2018 6:08:49   
Dratomos

Got a say, after hearing for 9 years these "good old sounds", it' odd to hear them. They are not bad, just odd.
DF  Post #: 48
1/27/2018 6:56:12   
dragon_master

The weapons are a little weak for their level (no offense),but i'll keep them as ''rares'',but as for the quest...

Everything looks just gorgeous... also the sounds are great.

Too bad i have to endure lag on my amazing-average gaming rig,since flash is still an unoptimized piece of [insert profanity here].

But keep this going i like it.
'
DF  Post #: 49
1/27/2018 7:02:59   
ChronoEye

Personally, this quest were awesomely reworked, even though the first shock to the new sounds happened. A lot of them has changed, even Darkness, which should not have in my opinion; I excepted it to keep it's intentional sound. Overall though in the end, the release were epic, and I hope that the filler releases would be replaced shortly with these ones. Now this is something approve worthy in between of story quests/wars/events.

Though on the other side about this remake of the quest - it had too much effects in it. So much awesomeness, that it now lags for me (and presumably many others) - so much to exact, that it can be counted as the "slowest quest of all time" - a fix for that one would be awesome to see. The animations sure are great and everything and I hope to see them being kept, but the quest... it is extremely laggy as of right now at least.
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= Design Notes January 26: Sir Jing's Weapons, Reimagined
Page 2 of 4<1234>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition