Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =DF= Design Notes January 26: Sir Jing's Weapons, Reimagined

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= Design Notes January 26: Sir Jing's Weapons, Reimagined
Page 3 of 4<1234>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/27/2018 7:55:01   
Boxer2380

The quest was pretty awesome, although the weather effects were a little too much for Flash.

As for the sound, I love it! I noticed that Ebil, Good, Metal, and Water weren't changed, though, and I unfortunately don't possess a Fear weapon (I think someone also mentioned Magic as an element. If that exists, I don't have it either), so I haven't gotten to try that out.. It seems pretty unanimous that the sound effect for Light didn't quite hit, and personally I think Stone sounds a little... wet. It needs to be rockier. That being said, I think most of the new sound effects are really cool, and I can't wait for more.

Great job, guys!
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 51
1/27/2018 8:26:49   
Shiny_Underpants

^You can try any of the quests involving Tomix in book 1 Ravenloss. They're quite simple quests, and Tomix deals 'evil' damage.
DF MQ  Post #: 52
1/27/2018 8:51:19   
Lord Run

that was great you maded a generic quest to be so epic it warms my heart when they return and fix the classics and updating them.
i was all ways the nostalgic kind of dude thank you AE team ^_^
it was a true gift for me to play this quest and doing it in an epic and intance way all so when i reached like the midle of it i turned off the sound and puted the song Cry thunder of DragonForce
and the quest felt even more epic!
you did great job guys and agine thank you!

Post #: 53
1/27/2018 9:40:34   
xelessarx

I was quite shocked to see all those effects didn't make the game lag for me even when I am playing in the best quality. I am leaning towards the idea that only fire effects make DF lag for me :S (BK3 Amityvale duhhh) The storm was very beautiful and lagless tho.

About the new sound effects, I loved nearly all of them! Silver sounded just like "Glass" instead but I don't know what would be appropriate sound for Silver anyway. The only thing sad was that the old Darkness elemental was gone forever. (No, I know Ebil still has the same sound but it is a very unique element that not all players can obtain) I don't care about Fire and Light much as Darkness' sound was literally what would come to people's mind first when thinking about DF's elemental sounds(Because of the Doom Weapons ofc. And it was a good sound effect anyway :P). I actually liked the new sound for Darkness quite a lot but I would prefer at least that the Doom Weapons maintained the same old Darkness Effect as those weapons and the old sound had become inseperatable from eachother.

Anyway, that is just my thoughts. Maybe the Doom Weapons (I don't care about the Destiny Weapons tho. I always felt like they were fake light versions of Doom Weapons since they were released. But some people might think the same for Destiny Weapons, I dunno) are not as inseperatable from the old Darkness sound for the other players, especially the newer ones but as someone who has been playing this game for more than 10 years, even though that I am very open to the change and improvements of DF, I don't think that I can ever get used to the new sound for the Doom Weapons.
Post #: 54
1/27/2018 10:23:41   
FagLord

The quest was awesome , but the weather effects were heavy .

I didn't enjoy hearing the new element effects , especially light element

Other than that , good job
Post #: 55
1/27/2018 10:27:55   
King of Zards

I think Book 1 contents should be left mostly untouched. The book system is undoubtedly one of the best inventions of DF as it allows the old content to coexist with the new content without having them all mixed up. Don't make the same mistake as AQ did and start revamping everything.
Post #: 56
1/27/2018 14:39:04   
Hermitpriest

@above

Yeah I agree, while I personally loved the revamp it does make sense to leave for the most part Book 1 stuff untouched.
Though if we could get the quests revamped buy still keep the feel of the original intact that would be a good why of doing this.
DF  Post #: 57
1/27/2018 15:13:36   
catay59

Old sounds better i think. Making sound effects choiceable from options menu will be better i think if its possible.

And Weapons are awesome -.nostalgie.-

Also after pressing Guests section in Quest Log suddenly 10th anniversery menu opened idk how
Post #: 58
1/27/2018 16:03:09   
Chaosweaver Amon
Friendly!

SO HYPED! These weapons have been my favorite since the day I started Dragonfable. Words cannot describe how thrilled I am about this. Can't wait to see more in the future!

EDIT: Played the quest and WOW. Loved the soundtrack, and the lightning traps were a nice touch. I liked that little surprise at the end too; after we defeated the elementals. The only real complaint I had was the CRAZY amounts of lag I had due to the rain, so maybe next time I think the area animations needn't be so...intense?

Other than that, I was definitely a huge fan of this release. :)

< Message edited by Chaosweaver Amon -- 1/27/2018 17:23:40 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 59
1/27/2018 16:23:25   
chisagen

A Swimming Good Time ( AQ3D / DF Q&A )

Have to say, the revamp was really awesome! Loved the effects! Keep up the great work!
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 60
1/27/2018 17:08:01   
Adyw11

First thing first, this revamp is amazing, the sounds for the weapons are great (even if the light one is a little eh) and the look of the area is gorgeous. I really want these songs downloaded because they are also phenomenal - the look of the area and the linear design is on par with the new content. Overall I've really enjoyed this quest, the weapons still dont compare to DA ones (which I have) but they are nice looking. Keep up the great work!
Post #: 61
1/27/2018 17:33:58   
Greldracion

I love where this idea is going, and can't wait to see further revamps. But, I will say that what I, personally, would like to see done with these revamps is to either enrich, or stay faithful to the original work.
I believe this revamp does both well, and I actually like the inclusion of the lightning traps, in light of discussing this aspect of the quest with a friend. This inclusion helps to inform a new player that these hazards exist in the game, and so players may watch out for these in future quests too. The inclusion of the visuals and sounds also enliven what, to me, was a fairly standard and boring pillage and plunder mission. The weapons and enemies themselves have practically stayed the same, and so it makes me so much happier that I can relive a part of my earliest time playing this game.

I truly think that the purpose of these revamp weeks is not to undermine or taint our nostalgia of these areas. Instead, they're meant to give us vet's something to re-experience, and new players something new to explore with excitement, and I am happy to see what may lie in store in the future

Places I'd like to relive
(Quest For Moonglow, The Waterfall, Quest For Ore, The Cave, and The Farm)

< Message edited by Greldracion -- 1/27/2018 17:35:01 >
AQ  Post #: 62
1/28/2018 1:29:11   
Mylorite

My default weapon is Light, and I found the new sound rather harsh on my ears. The new graphics are speccy though!

EDIT: Having played it right through (it locked up on me the first time). the Light sound is definitely too harsh for me! Will probably turn the sound off. The Fire sound is a bit odd too.

< Message edited by Mylorite -- 1/28/2018 1:53:26 >
Post #: 63
1/28/2018 2:10:15   
Cedrei

I really liked this release, especially the vials hunt, but also the quest. It was very laggy though...

My main problem with the Sir Jing revamp is that it's impossible for new players to do. Seriously. I made it a challenge to complete the quest as a "New Player", that is no DA/DC, and a level 2 character straight out of the introduction. I tried ten times(!), and the best I managed to get to was the sixth enemy, and that was using things that a new player really wouldn't know. Mainly stat training (even if they stumbled upon Rolith's stat training they wouldn't know what stat to train), but also the fact that you can use potions outside of battle.

I assume that these revamps is made to give new players a better experience, but for that to happen they also have to be able to beat the quest...

As long as the staff makes sure that the quests are still beatable by new characters, I'm really hyped for the revamping. I think it would be a good idea to focus on revamping the early parts of the main story, especially the Dragon Egg saga. It will take time since there will only be one revamp a month, but I think that the end result really will be worth it.
DF  Post #: 64
1/28/2018 3:03:12   
Tr4pD00r

I logged in to say the new element hit sounds are really awesome. Each element feels unique now and for me this is a very welcome change :D

I agree with the above post about the difficulty of the revamped Sir Jing quest. I think the monster stats should have just been kept the same for it being an introductory quest, and its kind of out of place at that difficulty among the other quests in Oaklore.
DF  Post #: 65
1/28/2018 3:17:02   
Hermitpriest

Yeah, I went in there with a level 8 character with a good weapon and even accessories and I still died on the water boss. While I do like games that offer a challenge to new players if they want to try it, I feel that with how Dragonfable, and classic AE games in general, do things in terms of builds its makes more sense to dumb early quests down for lack of a better term. Heck it took me an unholy amount of time to figure out how things work in Dragonfable when I started, I can only imagine how it will be for new players nowadays.

EDIT: And while I'm here might as well join the bandwagon of bashing on the new light element sound. I personally wished that the replacement sound would be the one that played when the destiny weapon's DoT activated but thatís just me.

< Message edited by Hermitpriest -- 1/28/2018 3:19:28 >
DF  Post #: 66
1/28/2018 3:30:22   
Gabriel Castro

What Cedrei said is very important and should not be taken lightly. I hope the difficulty is lowered on Sir Jing's Weapons, at least on lower levels.
DF AQW  Post #: 67
1/28/2018 11:24:20   
Commander_In_Red

A while ago, I had mentioned (not here) that it would be great if efforts could be made to modernise Book 1ís Story Quests. This isnít a story quest, but I feel itís a great start.

Though I am a little concerned that newer players would find the extremely dramatic contrast between this quest and all the other quests in the Oaklore area/entirety of Book 1 a bit...jarring. At least until some more quests undergo modernisation.

As for the new sound effects... I dunno. Most of them sound too close to the pre-made sounds you get with RPG Maker MV. Not particularly bad-sounding, just too...familiar.

I do feel it was a necessary release, but I would be lying if I said my feelings were anything other than extremely mixed.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
DF  Post #: 68
1/28/2018 12:54:35   
Hermitpriest

@above

I think the reason they sound familiar is because some of them are reused from AQ Classic.
DF  Post #: 69
1/28/2018 13:34:03   
Greldracion

Just finished the quest with a level 9 character, however, I must address that I had a low level DC helm and cape, as well as 1 weapon from Falconreach and the Pridelord pet. I made it through with 140 HP and 1 MP, and I know that if I didn't have the pridelord pet, I probably would not have been able to beat the final elemental (wind for me). One thing I believe should be changed is either have a 1 time heal, or the ability to go back to the healing pad from the boss area. I feel that there should maybe also be a water set and a stone set, as well as maybe touching up on the early game gear.

P.S.
I used the Legendary Magma Dagger, Deep Current, and NO stats trained
AQ  Post #: 70
1/28/2018 13:39:00   
Baron Dante

quote:

What Cedrei said is very important and should not be taken lightly. I hope the difficulty is lowered on Sir Jing's Weapons, at least on lower levels.

I'll also vouch in on this. Even at the lowest levels, the normal monsters either have the same helth as before and hit multiple times harder, or have nearly the double the health and similar damage output.
Definitely something that should be adjusted. (It's also worth noting that it's likely a player would level up during the quest, and due to it now being scaled, the monsters would possibly get stronger during the quest)
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 71
1/28/2018 15:15:03   
Bamzalot

A beautiful revamp to an early quest, new sounds, and an unexpected scavenger hunt leading to some big things in the (kind of)near future. Excitement all around! This was way more in a single release than I was excepting.

Most of the new sounds are great in my opinion. Disease is my favorite. I have to agree with some others about light being a little grating though. Also, all of the classic sounds are much softer compared to the new ones. In fact, in-game music is often drowned out by the new sounds. May I suggest toning the volume down on the new sounds to match the classic ones?
Post #: 72
1/29/2018 1:29:01   
docblade

Well the quest Looks good. Thats the only good Thing i have to say. My PC is just ONE YEAR old....and in good shape. But even on low, this quest causes so much lag that my pc crashes. I tried it 20 times now..and i am only able to get to the healing pad before it crashes. So no thanks
DF MQ  Post #: 73
1/29/2018 4:57:55   
Tr4pD00r

I don't think the new light element sound is that bad, in fact I quite like it. Pew pew pew pew!

This now with all elements having unique hit sounds which being a seemingly minor change has struck me as having made a really really huge difference, as far as the attractiveness of weapons goes. Speaking as a kid from a long time ago when I was still new at this game, one thing I was fascinated by was all the different element types, their icons and sounds. When I was attacked by a slime with the poison element it was the first I had ever seen it and that immediately made me go 'Wow!'. I would tell my other (kid) friends (at the time) about how I met a monster with a unique attack icon and they were surprised too. Maybe this seems a bit silly now and while trivial from a gameplay perspective, this kind of perception towards the idea of elements and their icons and sounds has kinda stuck with me. Cool element/icon and cool sound? Awesome weapon!

When the 'Ancient Weapons' shop was open I bought the Good element and Evil element weapons, but if the '???' element had some cool looking icon and this sound that it has now I think I wouldve picked that up too. And I know that if a Fear element or Curse element weapon ever gets released I'm definitely going to want to get my hands on that.

Imagine a kid who has 15 elemental essences at Warlic's shop given the choice of picking a Fire, Water, Stone or Wind element weapon to have, my guess is before this update they wouldve ended up choosing either the Fire or Water weapon over the other elements because "Stone and Wind just have the same dull ping sound as my default longsword". Something along those lines me as a kid would have thought.

I just wanted to bring up these points and draw attention to what I think was a minor change but has made a really huge difference. I love it.
DF  Post #: 74
1/29/2018 16:14:03   
Sakurai the Cursed

@docblade - Well, my PC is over 3 years old but I can run this quest on Best with no problems, even when running other demanding games at the same time. The age of your components is important of course, because newer architecture will be faster and more powerful even at lower clock speeds/frequencies, but Flash depends almost entirely on your CPU and doesn't really utilize multiple cores, so even a new and expensive PC can run it poorly if it has many weaker cores rather than a few stronger cores. In other words, assuming the same architecture, my 3.5GHz 4-core CPU is much better for Flash than a 2.5GHz 8-core CPU, even though the latter has more processing power overall. It's a limitation of Flash, not something Tomix can control.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= Design Notes January 26: Sir Jing's Weapons, Reimagined
Page 3 of 4<1234>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition