Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =DF= Date Design Notes: Six Heroes: The Apprentice!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= Date Design Notes: Six Heroes: The Apprentice!
Page 2 of 3<123>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/10/2018 3:20:14   
Shiny_Underpants

quote:

~original: @dragon_monster
Why do you complicate things messy timelines and what did the hero did for several week while villages burned? More important will we have to go back to the interval of those several weeks to find out? Does it matter that it was before and not after?

Interludes are often done in different timeframes. Generally, they follow the progression of each character's story. Since the main focus (of the beginning, at least) is still the Hero, wouldn't it be odd to begin with something about Faust?
I'm sure Aeon has other reasons, but it's an accepted convention.

I'm liking the new Riftwalker fix. I didn't even realise the damage buff was supposed to last two turns... no wonder the class seemed underpowered.

I think I like ahoge-Faust better. He's nicer. Real Faust seemed pretty angry that we were in his forest. Or perhaps it's Gretchen's forest...
I love how neither the Hero nor Falwynn can get down when tied at the ankles. Perhaps the Hero accidentally powered the rope up when trying to untie it, giving the rope the advantage--

About the pale skinned lady with burns; her clothing is not anachronistic, unlike Faust's. In fact, the plain dress, corset, and particularly the sleeves are reminiscent of the Renaissance, though this seems in line with other recently designed book 3 characters. The face mask implies a human profile, but the skin colour is so pale, I wonder-- while it may just be the burns, the visible ear doesn't look very ear-shaped.
Lydia is reminiscent of her; perhaps this was Faust's motivation in rescuing her.

It was a fun quest. Now I really want to know what happens next...

Edit: Ninjas

< Message edited by Shiny_Underpants -- 2/10/2018 3:21:04 >
DF MQ  Post #: 26
2/10/2018 3:36:18   
Hermitpriest

@dragon_monster
spoiler:

Frieza being left alive twice is more ofa niceness thing than a dumbness thing, and Goku did eventually kill him in Super and in RoF. Letting enemies power up is more so cockiness and most characters in anime in general do it, Super Vegeta VS Semi-Perfect Cell is a perfect example since were on the topic of DBZ. We've NEVER seen the Distructo Disk kill anyone, the closest was Nappa and he dodged it. Frieza didn't die from his own version and sliced himself up, it did nothing to Perfect Cell when it was used on him, and in Super's current ark we see Jiren destroy multiple Destructo Disk with his bare and throws one back at Goku again with his bare hands. And since I'm using Super for a lot of this, the Final Flash HAS COMPLETELY REPLACED VEGETA'S GALICK GUN, and like the Galick Gun before it, it does
almost nothing.

I do agree that the hero deciding to hang in a tree for several hours is very dumb, but I'm going to chalk this up as not just using the model that has no weapon on the hero. As for not summoning the dragon, when the hero is in a situation where they're dragon is not currently with them, summoning them is not the smartest of ideas, seeing as the fasted way to get there would be to fly, which would most likely alert any rose on the way there of a dragon flying around, thus putting the them and subsequently the hero in even more danger. Aside from that, and I'm not trying to sound rude with this, using the Dragonball Franchise as an example is a god awful decision when the series is notorious for having consistences in almost every aspect of it Now let us please refrain from getting into a long winded debate about Dragonball on a forum that has nothing to do with it.

< Message edited by Hermitpriest -- 2/10/2018 3:38:10 >
DF  Post #: 27
2/10/2018 3:48:35   
dragon_monster

spoiler:

Actually it makes an good comparison because of what the girl said of the hero powering up villains you know like some other dude does. But about the dragon flying towards us well not really an problem if he flies lows in the forest like he did in his training not above the forest. Also we have an hawk you know an nice hawk we could call the hawk to free us. Honestly there is not logical explanation of why we where trapped in an animal trap for hours an hours besides being dumb. Hell we know the hero can use magic why not burn the trap there many ways so many ways but the hero acted on none. This is one of my best evidence now as the hero is dumb as an brick right next to almost eating the dragon egg and not knowing Cinquefil is Robina.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 28
2/10/2018 3:49:07   
Vaalirus

Oh my gosh this quest was so darn cute and that call back to the ice orb saga was funny as hell.

That being said based on the events at hand I wonder if one of the lessons we'll teach Falwynn or for her to learn for on her own is to not be so reliant on her crossbow because to me that looks to be her problem in terms of combat and it being a common solution when she gets into trouble as she appears to stand now. She posses other skills, but she goes to great lengths to use it whenever she can to the point that when it is broken she will do all she can to make sure it's as good as new and desperately try to reach for it when it clearly was out of her reach...alright that first bit is a little unfair since it is her only primary weapon at this time, but I'm curious as to how she would react if it was broken beyond repair.

I guess my point is that she currently isn't working out all of her options and that she could benefit from flexing out her muscles without the crossbow or learning how to use other weapons and fighting techniques as we do. That is the point of sparring of our sparring I guess, but for the moment her weapon of choice can lead to some development. At least from my point of view anyway.

Heck we could just give the crossbow tons of upgrades so that our apprentice has access to UNLIMITED POWAH!...I'm sorry I had to do it

Yesterday's loss leads to folly
DF  Post #: 29
2/10/2018 4:30:20   
Hermitpriest

@dragon_monster
spoiler:

Chances are the hawk wasn't used, and the same goes for the magic, so that the scene works for all players and all classes, remember only the ranger class actually uses a hawk and not all , so players that either don't have or don't use a specific class don't have to question why their version of the hero would do something they shouldn’t be able to do, a good example would be “How can a warrior shoot fire from his hand when he’s never shown that ability before?” It’s simple RPG design, leave a scene just ambiguous enough as to work for all players. Dragonfable does this constantly due it being not as big a game as other RPGs, since in those it’s much easier to design scenes after how you play. I'll use Skyrim as an example of this, when you go to battle the dragon Alduin in Sovngarde at the end of the story there’s a part of the quest where you need to convince a guard to let you pass, and you can only do so by answering his question about why you should enter, and then battle him. Now when you answer him one option will always be there but there are others depending on how you played through.

When you have a bigger budget and a better engine it’s much easier to make a game fit peoples play styles. And besides, I thought we knew the hero was an oblivious idiot, that’s been one their most defining qualities.

< Message edited by Hermitpriest -- 2/10/2018 4:32:52 >
DF  Post #: 30
2/10/2018 4:40:48   
dragon_monster

spoiler:

That does not change the fact that there many ways to get out of the trap including the dragon which is for any class sure there are limitation of what you can do in cut scenes but there not in lore so in lore the only explanation is that the hero is dumb especially since he used his dragon once to get out of an trap before. He could also use Aegis for that matter which again it was shown he can come from you no matter the class.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 31
2/10/2018 5:07:22   
Shiny_Underpants

You know, 'several hours' could be exaggeration. It could have been twenty minutes without making any difference to anything (though if I recall correctly, the background did change...).
It's a lighthearted quest, so more cartoony methods of telling won't actually make much difference. Y'know... in place of a cardboard box falling on someone's head, an anvil. Instead of twenty minutes, three hours. It's just a style.
As Aeon himself said in the DNS,
quote:

The style of humor in that quest [Olaf's Party] is really one of DF’s hallmarks.
DF MQ  Post #: 32
2/10/2018 5:20:44   
dragon_monster

This kind of humor messes consistency I get it in an April Fools or Cysero quest but not in something that is canon. It takes me back to the time of Cysero when DF was not so serious and any inconsistency was as Cysero put it magic. It worked in the past sorta not really well Cysero did came in the forum and when this kind of inconsistencies where discusses he said magic. Basically do not think about it.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 33
2/10/2018 5:35:48   
Shiny_Underpants

I suppose it depends on the reader.
In this case it's just use of emphasis to convey a feeling (of Falwynn's clumsiness). I prefer this; comedy is an element of pacing. Think Pirates of the Carribean; there's an overall serious tone, but... there's also this.
I do agree about some of the previous quests, though...
DF MQ  Post #: 34
2/10/2018 7:46:55   
bossofmagic

I'm really happy to see more Falwynn. I'm always happy to see more of her. I hope that we get to invite her as a guest soon. Also would be interesting to add our dragon to her quest chain, maybe to encourage her getting a battle pet or something!

PS: The Faust imitation was pretty funny. I like how her face when she says she's not a pushover is practically the same as her Faust one, cause it means she's serious about it :P
AQ DF  Post #: 35
2/10/2018 8:07:01   
lastspartan

Why do I have a feeling that falwynn and Faust gonna end together.
Post #: 36
2/10/2018 8:11:12   
Rio3678

The return of the Squirrel who says No, my life is complete.

Master of Light and Darkness
Rio Skyron
with Bianca, my blade of Destiny
theme song
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 37
2/10/2018 8:35:44   
Sneevillord

i think the light hearted quest is very well placed if we remember the one that came before it. You have burning villages and attempted massacres, then if you are playing through the whole six heroes saga at once you have a cartoon-ish quest to lighten the tension.
I genuinely laughed at falwynn's face after she saw the squirrel, it was a brilliant call back. I really want the squirrel as a pet. It just says "no" and increases block.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 38
2/10/2018 8:46:42   
mahasamatman

I'm immensely disappointed of our hero. Seriously? A rope trap takes US out for HOURS?!

1) We can talk to our dragon with telepathy to come help.
2) We can possibly call Aegis.
3) We have a boatload of weapons in our backpack, which might be long.
4) Any magic-using class should be able to get out in no time. Mage, Pyromancer, Riftwalker, Necromancer, and a dozen others.
5) with our skills, we could probably pull off Riddick's way of getting out

The squirrel was the best thing even happening in DF, by the way.

< Message edited by mahasamatman -- 2/10/2018 8:47:04 >

His followers called him Mahasamatman, and claimed he was a god.
He never claimed to be a god, but then, he never claimed not to be a god.
Circumstances being what they were, neither admission could be of any benefit.
Silence, though, could.
DF  Post #: 39
2/10/2018 8:55:34   
Shiny_Underpants

^I think we've just, uhh, been over this.

quote:

~original: @mahasamatman
The squirrel was the best thing even happening in DF, by the way.

It was the best, until Roof Guy came along...
DF MQ  Post #: 40
2/10/2018 9:02:39   
Sneevillord

@Shiny_Underpants Roof Guy may find his perch vulnerable to the marauding climbing squirrel. Will his defences hold? I believe I can answer this:

"No."
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 41
2/10/2018 10:51:45   
Rio3678

I too like the light hearted quest as one of the things I really love about DF is the balance of Comedy and seriousness. We have come a long way from punting Moglins into the faces of Gorrillaphants.
DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 42
2/10/2018 11:25:51   
Kresnik

A nice light-hearted quest. Loved the slowed down pace and humour.Also pretty sure chugging that many potions cant be good for you.
DF AQW  Post #: 43
2/10/2018 13:20:57   
Shadow X Ascendant

@lastspartan.
spoiler:

Don't worry with that, Faust already has that "Masked Woman" that takes care of him in her house on that forest"

< Message edited by Shadow X Ascendant -- 2/10/2018 13:21:08 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 44
2/10/2018 14:02:04   
Hermitpriest

I'm surprised how many people have said Falwynn healed a lot during there fight, she never once healed for me... though I did have her stunned for 5 out for 7-8 turns.
DF  Post #: 45
2/10/2018 14:14:55   
dragon_monster

Yeah the hero should teach her the first lesson do not get stunned if you want to have an chance against the hero. Also defense skills are better then potions and stunning the hero is useless. if you can not keep him constantly stunned.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 46
2/10/2018 16:43:28   
Fire alandry

Falwynn is so cute. I really liked this quest:)
Somehow the little aprentice got 3500 hp, while I have only ~2000. It's weird. Didn't stop me from winning pretty easily with SW, though...

I hope we'll get more quests in this Saga soon. It looks very interesting.
DF  Post #: 47
2/10/2018 17:56:30   
Raphael 777

The quest is short, but funny. Falwynn's expression when the squirrel said "no" is absolutely priceless.
Birthday on April 7th and likes green huh? Guess we have two things in common.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 48
2/10/2018 18:23:11   
S Prime

Can't wait to see the Hero teach her about Clawkins and Minx Fairies! (Which is where I thought that first part of the quest was going...)

@Vaalirus
quote:

I guess my point is that she currently isn't working out all of her options and that she could benefit from flexing out her muscles without the crossbow or learning how to use other weapons and fighting techniques as we do. That is the point of sparring of our sparring I guess, but for the moment her weapon of choice can lead to some development. At least from my point of view anyway.

Not that surprising, given that's she's supposedly a new adventurer. Always carry a knife or secondary weapon is one of the things fantasy adventurers learn really quickly. And with her having a rogue-ish thing going, I actually find it difficult to believe the crossbow was all she had.

@Hermitpriest
quote:

I'm surprised how many people have said Falwynn healed a lot during there fight, she never once healed for me... though I did have her stunned for 5 out for 7-8 turns.

Yeah, I went in as Pumpkinlord without particularly trying to destroy her and she only took one. She also has immobility resistance too and yet it seems Enfeebling Scythe got her twice anyway.

---
The Great Pumpkin

< Message edited by S Prime -- 2/10/2018 18:26:15 >
DF  Post #: 49
2/11/2018 13:24:16   
Sakurai the Cursed

@hermitpriest -
quote:

Second, the scene of them in the trees, top quality art of the heros side of things(not trying to sound rude or mean, I just find some of the scenes with the hero funny due to the lack of possible animations and poses that they can be put in).

I actually found it perfectly fitting. The inexperienced novice is loosely hanging there with her arms dangling down while the battle-hardened hero keeps their composure and even their posture, as if it didn't even matter that they were upside down. :p
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: =DF= Date Design Notes: Six Heroes: The Apprentice!
Page 2 of 3<123>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition