Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: How did you come up with your character's name?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: How did you come up with your character's name?
Page 2 of 3<123>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/10/2018 20:07:48   

Yeah funny story actually. I created my character as a test character for the DF beta (back in 2006 I think) and just chose the name Dragon cuz it was meant to be a test character to try out the ropes/get the feet wet which I would then delete before creating my "real" character later. That is until I discovery how tedious the grind for levels was and thought ok since I've sunk so much time into this guy there's no way I'm gonna delete them now.

So the name stuck and I hoped the DF team would implement a name change system like AQ in one of their later updates which they eventually did (albeit at the cost of 1000 Dragon Coins). To this day my character remains named Dragon cuz I never managed to earn the Dragon Coins required for the Black Market Moglin. They're like level 83 and still stuck with a name I chose for a test character.
Post #: 26
3/10/2018 20:21:22   
Chaosweaver Amon

Anything to do with the Legend of Korra villain Amon?

Nope, nothing to do with LoK, even though I do love that character.

I even pronounce mine as Ae-mon as opposed to that character’s Ah-mon.

< Message edited by Chaosweaver Amon -- 3/10/2018 20:24:16 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 27
3/10/2018 21:18:48   

Funny story. I played AQ before coming to DF, and when naming my AQ character, the image on the character creation screen was artix, holding his axe.

The axe was large, and looked powerful. Hence, Axpower was born.
DF  Post #: 28
3/10/2018 21:37:05   
Sakurai the Cursed

My main is Fenris, named after a character in the Ragnarok manga which was a favorite thing of mine at the time over 12 years ago, and I keep it because Norse mythology is still cool (and hell, I still like Ragnarok even if it's been canceled for a decade :P ). Her dragon is fittingly named Nidhoggr.

I also have Loki and Taulin from Ragnarok/Norse mythology. My other two with actual names are just cool names, Onyx and Noessa. And my final character is the incredibly imaginative "classtest" because I delete and re-create him for DCs to test classes and other DC things too often to bother coming up with an identity past that.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 29
3/10/2018 21:43:14   

My name (which I use in every game I play) comes from a character in Shin Megami Tensei although I changed the spelling a bit.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 30
3/10/2018 21:47:17   

Anytime I see a name like Louis Cypher in a story, I always shout at the characters: "That is Lucifer, how do you not see that, don't trust him/her/it!" Also with names like Morgenstern and similar.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 31
3/10/2018 22:04:21   

Ironically, if I have to set up a background for my character, it would be a before his fall to grace sort of story.
But I'm not really good at creating stories so I'll just stick with the cool sounding name.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 32
3/10/2018 22:41:42   

Made my first character when I was pretty young, and choose, "Misterio", because it sounded like, "Mysterious." Yeah. Deep.

Lost that account, sad day.

Second (and current) account was created during a period in my life where had I fallen in love with the vowel combination, "ae", due to its rarity and exotic-ish-ness. I was using it in a variety of character names across platforms, including, yes, Dragonfable. Thus, "Aeronyx", was born, using both, "ae", and, "nyx", like the primordial Greek darkness.

I basically did this emotional cycle over the course of the following years:

Yay! Great Name!

It seems a little pretentious...

What was I thinking?!

How much for a name change...?

Guess I'm sticking with it...

It.. is not terrible...?

Am I... liking it again?

Wait. Yes. Sorta.

Alright, fine, I like it again. You wore me down.

. . .

The Harvest approaches

I am the Reaper

Sing a song of Crows...
Post #: 33
3/10/2018 23:23:20   

I didnt want a name that was just me smashing my head on my keyboard

So I just got a random name and changed it to that
AQ MQ  Post #: 34
3/11/2018 1:16:51   

Actually, both Glaurong and Smaug had a great deal of meaning to me.
Before I could read, I was listening to the Hobbit as an audiobook on tape in the backseat of my mom's car. I can't even remember a time I didn't know Tolkein. I could recite the entire "The world was young, the mountains green" poem, while I was still learning to read, I just loved it that much, and made my parents help me learn it. I was determined to understand death and listened to Thorin's death over and over, they say, and then was very upset when Gandalf returned as the White, because that wasn't right! I found Glaurong the most interesting character in the Children of Hurin, and to this day, I find Turin irritatingly overdramatic about the wrong things. So yes, they represented- I don't think nostalgia is the right, word, but I can't really find many words at all for what those names still mean to me. To me, they are the original evil dragons, and as the hero got the world destroyer...
*shrug.* It would have been appropriate, but I think, in the end, Veritas suits him better.
Also, the whole thing states that I do like symbolic names from old languages. I mean, I have Truth, Whirlwind, Earthquake, and an ancient queen of Persia.

...but if I ever make a fifth character, I'm totally going to name the dragon Féanoro.

< Message edited by GammaCavy -- 3/11/2018 1:56:04 >

sincerely, your friendly neighborhood warrior thespian dark lord and counter guardian Gamma Cavy
DF  Post #: 35
3/11/2018 4:21:29   

Originally Sir Lancelot because I was really into the story at the time, and because I felt I was a traitor as well.
These days the character is female and named Mango just because I was eating mango pudding and rolled with it. Also, after years of looking at the same armors and hair it's fun to see the other side of them.
DF  Post #: 36
3/11/2018 6:49:30   
Legendary AdventureGuide!

I named my first puppy "Lucky" from Disney's 101 Dalmatians and since he was the first puppy I got to raise he became my favorite puppy ever. When I started playing DF back in 2007, he was already maybe 4 years old I think, but he was still my best derp-y fur baby. Since I wanted my character to be a guy, the first guy name I thought of was my pup's name. He's been gone now for 5 years but I will always remember him whenever I play DF.

My dragon's name Glayden was based from "Glaedr" the golden dragon in the Eragon novels, which I read when I was younger.

< Message edited by Pinwheel -- 3/11/2018 8:28:41 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 37
3/11/2018 7:27:13   

One my cousin told this game to my sister and we started this game in 2008 wow 10 years.I was very small and i don't know how to write or read.Just know some keyboard letters.My nickname in game is very similar to my real name.My nickname is catay, and since i wrongly created the catay nickname i usually use this nick in other games

Post edited. Please do not include real-life information on the forums. ~Gingkage

< Message edited by Gingkage -- 3/11/2018 10:51:29 >
Post #: 38
3/11/2018 7:44:54   

Well, my forum name is just based on my favourite colour and animal (obviously red and dokeys :p)

My DF name Carmond, if a combo of Carbon and Diamond: Carbon gets compressed or something to form Diamond, which just goes to show that the once light gas carbon which is considered a waste, when compressed, can be one of the most expensive and useful things ever. Okay, yeah, I know, I was a nerd back in, like, third grade when the fire war, I think, was going on...

That is until my brother came along with Dragon Ball Z and named him gogeta (yes, no caps). And to rub salt on the wound, I have, like 30 DCs left...
DF  Post #: 39
3/11/2018 11:06:10   

Well, Gogeta actually isn't in DBZ, that was Vegito.

Gogeta only appeared in the non-cannon movies and DBGT
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 40
3/11/2018 11:06:21   
G Man

Well, my characters initial name was G Man, after my IRL nickname. (My name begins with a G)
Then I changed it to Galkoss, to match more of my characters in other games.
I got that name from the random name generator in SWTOR quite a while ago, back when I used to play it.
I just liked the name, so I kinda stuck to using it.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 41
3/11/2018 13:15:24   

jvnenem is an abbreviation of jao nenem, which was a nickname my uncle gave me when i was a child (by the time i created my adventure quest account. Later, I used the same name for dragonfable, mechquest, aqw and the other games, until aq3d when i changed it to iron beard due to the thick facial hair i had grown by that time )
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 42
3/11/2018 14:10:13   

The first name I used was a nickname I had when I was little. When I got back into playing I changed it to the name people call me online, which is half my forum name.
DF  Post #: 43
3/12/2018 12:39:05   

I named my character after myself. The first version was ''ernests'' as that is how my name is said in my language. I was like 6 years old when I made my account, so I didn't even think about anything like caps or special names. I only recently changed it to the English version with a capital letter (Ernest).

I honestly feel like the Hero is an extension of me. He's been such a great part of my childhood and he is like an alter ego for me now. I used to think up all kinds of stories when I was a kid, with him as the protagonist (and I still sometimes do :o).

Everything the Hero does, it matters to me a lot, since it is also happening to me, in a way. Makes it easy to get in ''RP-mode''.
Post #: 44
3/12/2018 17:45:09   

ernitis and I did the exact same thing, garbled versions of our names, even taking years before adding the capitol letter. Cool.
DF  Post #: 45
3/12/2018 19:09:14   

Well, As i created my first gaming char for the game RuneScape, i thought like this: "I must be careful. Just like working with a scalpel. Every decision i make can have fatal consequences, just like a surgeon. The scalpel is the blade a surgeon uses. What the doctor uses. Its the DOCtors BLADE. I stopped playing RuneScape soon, since i found out about AQ..and only a short time later, i came to DF. The name stayed.
DF MQ  Post #: 46
3/13/2018 0:51:34   
Demdon Niomet

For each character I have made, I remember clearly:
New Life: Named for a Mage I had in RaiRO.
Naomi Aimable: Biblical first name, also used for my sole MQ character. Second name, en francais, can mean either "friendly" or "kind", translated into English.
Maria Cappella: First name is Latin for a woman who became a mother of kings. Her surname, translated back from Italian, means "Chapel".

As I have no Dragon Amulet, my dragon's name translated means simply, "Dragon". This is not a request for a DA or DC's, just to let you know. I intend to come by those honestly, not by begging on the forums (which I am quite certain is illegal, unless the source that I have read is faulty, which I highly doubt).

Hoping that this thread shows up on AQ (WF) and AQW,
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 47
3/13/2018 1:13:00   

I kind of wish I could change my name without having to pay any money, but whatever. It's hydranoid and I chose it because I was reallyinto Bakugan at the time (probably grade 5?) This was when it was popular and I named my character after one of the Bakugan from the antagonist in the first season. Honestly, the only thing I really hate about the name is that:
a) it's not capitalized, and that bothers me.
b) I didn't even like the character that much, but only realized that after I watched the second season of the show (which had new characters)
c) I'd rather have Draconius for a name since it's what I go by everywhere else.

Otherwise, I don't mind it all too much. Confession time: I actually still like the show quite a bit, more than I would like to accept, but it's less embarrassing than other things, I guess. I actually only have one character since I don't feel like making more. I do have a special character slot, but I've never used it. Don't have the patience to.

I do have a DA and purchased it a few years back (2015ish) using my own card. I always come back to this game for some reason, despite it's flaws.
Post #: 48
3/13/2018 1:26:31   

My character reached a point in his study of Power Words, where he managed to unlock a power that had not been seen since around the dawn of time. This was the peak of what his body and mind would be able to contain. Using this power, in order to further his studies past this point, he split into several bodies, each with their own mind, and each taking on the name Ninjaty as a way of recognizing each other.

This name is itself a Power Word he created, and will sound different when uttered by people who are not him, unless he intentionally reveals it to someone. When revealed to someone, the people intended to know will be able to say it to him, but still not sound right when heard by other people, and those who have learned the word cannot themselves pass it on.

The name was chosen to reflect someone staying out of sight, doing his work undetected. The -ty suffix was chosen to add a third syllable to the name, differentiating it from the word ninja, while at the same time deliberately throwing off the intended pronunciation.

< Message edited by Ninjaty -- 3/13/2018 1:34:43 >
Post #: 49
3/13/2018 13:46:49   

My character's name, Slaymore, was a title assigned to me by an old AQC guild I was in a long time ago. I rather enjoyed my time there, and still use the name even after long since abandoning AQ.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> RE: How did you come up with your character's name?
Page 2 of 3<123>
Jump to:

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition