Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Our Mental State

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> Our Mental State
Page 1 of 3123>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/4/2018 9:22:42   
Arcturus96

So @Greyor_42 brought up a good point in a discussion post that I think merits its own section. How stable do you think our Hero is, mentally speaking? We have seen the worst possible things imaginable, and we still keep on fighting. I mean, at the least we are bound to have a touch of PTSD. Are we healthy enough to go back into the fray without some rest/special magical help?
Post #: 1
4/4/2018 9:45:27   
dragon_monster

The hero is far more emotional now and got some fear of being enclosed in ice again but it did not stopped him from beating Caitiff watching over his dragon then killing some ghosts so yeah he is healthy enough. And to add to this he is an far better person now he kills far less, steals far less pranks less he cares more for non human creatures. In book 1 he once killed an entire group of those harpy like creatures because why not now the hero protects them.
I think he is more stable in some ways like not killing indiscriminately and more fearful then before.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
4/4/2018 11:47:49   
requiem.exe

We ABSOLUTELY have PTSD, as shown in the Calamity quest. We also have heavy chains of guilt around our necks, probably some residual damage from Kathool breaking and entering our heads, and Doom weapon looking to spread the good word of the Shadowscythe. The fact that our hero can function at all is a borderline miracle.
AQ DF  Post #: 3
4/4/2018 11:55:13   
dragon_monster

I wonder and this is just an theory of mine could it be that the hero adventuring and doing heroic things is what keeps him sane and the corruption at bay as the hero fill his mind with other people's problems and how to solve them and because doing more good things keeps the corruption suppressed as it does not have an way to plant roots like no desire to save someone at expense of everything no goals that are impossible to reach with current abilities and skills and friends and connections and so forth?
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
4/4/2018 12:34:48   
requiem.exe

That makes the version of us in the Inn at the edge of time REALLY dark. If that's how we cope, then that version of us is so far over the edge of despair that they are addicted to helping others due to it being the only thing maintaining their sanity.

Thanks, this is my new headcanon.
AQ DF  Post #: 5
4/4/2018 12:43:11   
dragon_monster

you mean the time classes?
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 6
4/4/2018 12:54:24   
requiem.exe

Yeah, specifically the one that I can't remember the title of that's to the left when you first enter the rift.

https://i.imgur.com/wNHNqr5.png

My new headcanon is now that she became addicted to helping others as a method of keeping herself sane, and now the Avatar of Time us is trying to get her to find another way instead of impulsively saving everyone to run away from her own problems.
AQ DF  Post #: 7
4/4/2018 17:55:06   
Xyrie

Pretty sure the hero's method of coping has always been returning to their spot to relax, a moment of peace is rather precious in such a chaotic world. Stress can eat a person alive so taking some time to relax is a good thing.

That one guy who pulled his dragon amulet out of a cereal box.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 8
4/4/2018 18:08:22   
Greyor_42

@requiem.exe

Wow..... that is a really depressing interpretation of ChronoZ us. If she's addicted to helping others because it's a way of coping with her own issues, how badly messed up must her own timeline/life be?

If our version of the hero does heroics as a coping method, the only thing I can think of that would lead them that far off the deep end would be if they lost their dragon, Falwynn, Artix, Aegis, and everyone else in Falconreach, all while watching on, unable to do anything.

Though, at that point, I think they'd become more apathetic than anything, and just give up on heroics to instead find solace in bottles of moglinberry juice, like Roirr did.
DF  Post #: 9
4/4/2018 18:12:59   
requiem.exe

quote:

Though, at that point, I think they'd become more apathetic than anything, and just give up on heroics to instead find solace in bottles of moglinberry juice, like Roirr did.

Thank you too, Greyor. This is now my headcanon for Chronocorruptor us.
AQ DF  Post #: 10
4/4/2018 19:43:03   
PurgeXZ

Well...

I'd say that it would just take one more tragedy for the hero to completely snap.
I mean, they've Kathool in their minds, the residual effects of Black Winter, and they've witnessed Tomix and Serenity die. Their guilt is probably very overwhelming, and just like Sepulchure, spending time with Gravelyn acts as a sort of therapy.
Post #: 11
4/4/2018 20:09:06   
Eric Greydawn
Kensai

If I may, this discussion reminds me of my favorite High Fantasy author.. Micheal Moorcock. His eternal champion cycle tells the tale of Elric, Erekose, Duke Dorian Hawkmoon, Etc.. the various incarnations of the Eternal Champion. Generally speaking, they tend to be tormented heroes, carrying the burdens imposed on them by their endless duty only rarely finding peace.

As far as the burdens OUR hero carries, I'm sure there are events that weigh heavily on our Hero. Of course, that's the problem with most great destinies. They are seldom easy, and are seldom without burden.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 12
4/4/2018 22:51:29   
Arcturus96

^Most definitely. But that has to be affecting us in some way. I mean come on: we watched a Doom Weapon attach itself to one of our oldest friend's body, float around as the flesh rotted off, had it inter our minds and twist everything, and then torture our dragon that is bonded to us on a deep level. If that has not scared us in more ways than one, nothing will. Surely SOMEON in the game's word is noticing the Hero is acting/behaving a bit off.
Post #: 13
4/4/2018 23:14:18   
Greyor_42

^

The problem is, while the hero is very messed up in the head right now, most of the people they interact with frequently are a bit.... odd as well(not all of them to Cysero's degree, but you can't deny that people like Artix, Warlic, and even our dragon all have their own brand of crazy). Arguably, the most sane person in the entirety of the(currently alive) dragonfable NPC cast is Lim, and he's a mad scientist! Another problem, the hero is very good at internalizing their issues, only revealing them in three moments ever: During the cryptic training quest, where it's revealed that one of the Hero's biggest fears is themself, and their inability to save literally everyone ever, where only his teacher saw, and was merely impressed that we could face up against that; at Tomix's grave after everyone else had left, so nobody could see; and during the calamity war, where we kept repeating "no ice" to Aegis, something which literally nobody there would blame us for, and honestly probably weren't that shocked by our reaction, since we had just recently thawed out after being a hero-sicle for five whole years. Though, I guess I can count a fourth instance which also happened during the calamity war, where we threatened caitiff with destruction so severe that even the darkness won't reclaim what was left, one which we followed through with. It could be argued that our Doom Weapon nudged the little "aggression" dial in our heads up a couple notches there, since statements like that are incredibly out of character for the hero. But again, nobody could really blame them, or expect them to act otherwise in that scenario since caitiff had been egging us on the entire war, constantly using our memory of Serenity against us, and, as you mentioned, messed with our dragon.
DF  Post #: 14
4/4/2018 23:57:47   
SoullessButProud

I wonder if there will be a quest in the future where the hero loses it at an enemy and crosses a line?
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 15
4/5/2018 0:33:19   
Greyor_42

With one of Book 3's focuses apparently being "breaking the hero", it's a very definite possibility.
DF  Post #: 16
4/5/2018 0:49:17   
megakyle777

You know, I'm just going to throw this out there... but I don't think our hero in book 3, off the top of my head, has had anything of what you could call a 100% success. Everything so far has been either near disaster or tinged with loss, and most of our jobs have in some way or form failed (protecting the king went south, saving Serenity went south, we barely saved our dragon with Seppy's help).

Consistant failure can really get to a person, and while we've pulled though it all so far by the skin of our teeth... it's ONLY been by the skin of our teeth. And I can see way more potential risks for failure in the horizon. (Falwynn, keeping Seppy's secret, making sure the king stays alive and not dethroned ETC)
DF  Post #: 17
4/5/2018 3:03:58   
Greyor_42

^We've had exactly one success that wasn't tinged with loss, and arguably went almost exactly as planned: destroying the Oculus tower and saving Crest(and I actually had to think for a couple minutes to even come up with that). And that's pretty much it. The closest thing after that is the Atgassedd questline, and the actual success of that is very dubious, as, it clearly could have gone very, very wrong if that orphan didn't say anything to cheer the soldier up.
DF  Post #: 18
4/5/2018 3:10:28   
dragon_monster

Do you mean only in the main questline going exactly as planned?
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 19
4/5/2018 8:48:38   
BluuHorseOfficial

Yes, that is what Greyor_42 means, the Oculus saga is the only one that was even thoroughly planned out and executed accordingly to anticipated success, and I doubt there was anything much else that fits said criterion...

You could even say that despite having discharged given valid point at the end of Calamity about voting for the Roseís help, they still seemed to have had Caitiff take a toll on their sanity. However, the Heroís sanity would have been restored via Serenityís haunting and Amadeusí Purification of their dragon...
DF  Post #: 20
4/5/2018 8:53:27   
dragon_monster

What about when we saved the wife of that orc dude in Soulenska? Or when we won the tournament and meet Alteon. Or when we gathered the things needed to be accepted in the base of the Vind? Or when...........................................
Well that is about all.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 21
4/5/2018 11:14:35   
Greyor_42

quote:

Or when we won the tournament and meet Alteon.

You mean where we also got nearly apprehended by the rose for going near Alteon? Pretty sure that goes into "near disaster" territory.
DF  Post #: 22
4/5/2018 11:23:56   
BluuHorseOfficial

Well, saving Elanee was actually a success (though a very minor one), the meeting with Alteon didnít go as we planned due to the Rose being idiots, and we didnít really plan to meet Kara like that, it wasnít even implied in the story, TBH. If Iím honest, I was the stupid kid that thought people who met Kara were hacking because I never got it to work XD.

Wow, with what @dragon_monster said, Iím really beginning to wonder about the actual things the hero thinks of as accomplishments...

Unfortunately, the infamous Lynn Tea Party doesnít count, because no Lorian anticipated result was mentioned besides having tea...
DF  Post #: 23
4/5/2018 11:26:27   
Shiny_Underpants

quote:

~original: @requiem.exe
My new headcanon is now that she became addicted to helping others as a method of keeping herself sane, and now the Avatar of Time us is trying to get her to find another way instead of impulsively saving everyone to run away from her own problems.

The most disturbing thing about this is that most of the subtext (at least for me) was exactly the same, with the one exclusion of the sanity thing.
Though there's also a possibility that she comes from a more enlightened time. But that's less interesting.

quote:

~original: @SoullessButProud
I wonder if there will be a quest in the future where the hero loses it at an enemy and crosses a line?

Well, we know from Timelines that our method of coping involves going out to the forest and beating up forest creatures. Then, when confronted by a boss (who, I might add, is our one weakness) who was stealing our spot, we crossed a line and shouted at a kid.
Given this, it would seem Jaania really is good at spreading her mental state to other people. Just think how many forum members she converted to fascism.
DF MQ  Post #: 24
4/5/2018 11:40:38   
Greyor_42

@BluuHorseOfficial

quote:

Unfortunately, the infamous Lynn Tea Party doesnít count, because no Lorian anticipated result was mentioned besides having tea...

While it definitely had two resounding successes(we engaged in fun and tea to make a kid happy, and we survived a confrontation with Sepulchure), it most definitely didn't go as planned(we had a confrontation, with Sepulchure).

So I would agree with you there.
DF  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> Our Mental State
Page 1 of 3123>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition