Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=AE= Artix Games Launcher Official Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> Artix Entertainment General Discussion >> =AE= Artix Games Launcher Official Thread
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
6/16/2018 11:04:23   
  Phantasmia

Phantom Knight of AQW GD/Q&A

With the end of Flash coming in 2020, The AE Team has been working on a new launcher program that allows you to play AE Games without the need for a browser or the Flash plug-in!

Play Artix Entertainment Games without a Browser or Flash!?
Want to help us test our new Artix Entertainment Games launcher? We built this to future-proof our existing games. Using this launcher removes the need for a browser or the Flash Plugin.

ALPHA TEST
  • Yes, this is an early access Alpha Test
  • Help Test
  • Hunt for Bugs
  • Suggest Features

SUPPORTED GAMES
  • AdventureQuest Worlds
  • EpicDuel
  • AdventureQuest
  • DragonFable
  • MechQuest
  • Oversoul
  • AdventureQuest 3D (Sorta - the button will open the game in STEAM)

DOWNLOAD
    Visit this link to download the launcher!

ALPHA TEST UPDATE #1
    AdventureQuest, DragonFable, and MechQuest will not be available over the weekend, while the team looks into a few bugs we just got in.
    Please download the application and test all the OTHER things!

Report bugs issues with the launcher itself at Artix Bug Reports
    Select 'Artix.Com' as the Game, then 'Artix Game Launcher' as the Category.

If you see issues with individual games played through the launcher also go to Artix Bug Reports
    Then select your game, then choose 'Artix Game Launcher' as the category.

ALPHA TEST UPDATE #2: Monday Morning

Thank you to everyone who downloaded and helped test in the Artix Games Launcher Alpha over the weekend! The team is reviewing all bug reports now, and fixes will start rolling out this week.

Many of you sent screenshots showing all the new/returning heroes on OverSoul, and requests for more updates. To dedicate more of the team's time to creating new updates for OverSoul, we need to see steady and increasing activity.

Your quest: if you want to see OverSoul gets new updates, encourage your friends to log in and play OS on the game launcher or through the web at http://oversoul.artix.com/

ALPHA TEST UPDATE #3: Monday Afternoon

The AdventureQuest Worlds screen has a new layout. Thanks to everyone who shared their feedback on the design! Close and re-open your launcher client to see the new art.

Warlic, Captain Rhubarb, and the launcher team have a fix for MechQuest's launcher game client in testing (we had to disable it for the weekend after a bug report came in). Once we see the fix working, we'll re-enable MechQuest in the Artix Games Launcher.

At this morning's launcher update meeting, Artix, Miko, and I talked about the upcoming stages and features as we continue evolving the project. We want to get design notes posts directly inside the launcher, along with the ability to comment directly on them. We tossed around some other feature ideas (like including an idle game), which is why we want to know...

FEEDBACK POLL: What new features would YOU like to see in the Artix Games Launcher? Tell Artix and Alina on Twitter!

ALPHA TEST UPDATE #3: Friday, June 22nd

Thanks to the combined efforts of your bug reports, Captain Rhubarb, and the DragonFable team, you can now play DragonFable right through your game launcher! Let us know if you encounter any issues by reporting them to the Bug Tracker.

ALPHA TEST UPDATE #5: Wednesday, June 27th

MechQuest is now available through the launcher! Warlic is beginning work on the Mac version of the launcher client and - by popular request - is investigating the feasibility of a Linux version. Let us know if you encounter any issues by reporting them to the Bug Tracker.

(PS: Rolith is working on MechQuest to permanently return the G.E.A.R.S. games and permanently return some of the existing holiday content and storyline wars.)

< Message edited by Phantasmia -- 7/21/2018 20:03:39 >
  • DF AQW  Post #: 1
    6/16/2018 12:46:15   
    Cedrei

The launcher looks awesome

That said, the "not running flash" thing was a bit over-hyped imo. I mean, I had kinda expected that we wouldn't get it off flash already, but it was still somewhat disappointing to see after all the "no, it's not going to run flash" we've been told beforehand. That said, I think that it is reasonable to not have it already ported, I just hope that they will be in the future. It's not without good reason as to why flash is killed from browsers, with flash being very laggy and insecure (and all issues will grow exponentially after the death of flash in 2020), so I hope that we can still get everything ported off flash within the next few years
    DF  Post #: 2
    6/16/2018 15:57:07   
      WhiteTiger

Majestic Feline of AQ3D & ED

I rewatched that video where Artix mentioned flash and the game launcher, and I think people are confusing "you won't need flash" with "it's not running flash". I'm pretty sure it just embeds flash with the installer so you won't need to install it yourself (and maybe so that when all browsers permanently kill flash in 2020, you can still play AE's flash games from the launcher), but it was unrealistic to think they could've rewrote all their games off flash in time for the launcher release. For all intents and purposes, the launcher is just a browser that wraps some website, not too different from what Electron does.
    AQW Epic  Post #: 3
    6/17/2018 2:59:44   
    Cedrei

No. Browsers doesn't kill flash in 2020. Browsers remove flash in 2019, for all intents an purposes (it'll still be possible to go through it for power users, but you won't get 99% of the player base to do that). Flash dies in 2020. Some people don't seem to get this, but there's a reason for flash dying. Actually two. One: It is very laggy. Two: It is highly insecure.

As computers shift more and more to using powerful GPUs and a-lot-of-cores CPUs, flash is just horribly inefficient. Flash cannot use GPU. Flash can also not utilize more than one processor core. As someone with a computer with high reliance on GPU, as well as a hexa-core CPU, I experience this very much. I have to play DF at low graphics+70% zoom for the game to even be playable from a lag perspective. For context, I can run many modern AAA titles on full screen and okay graphics settings without breaking a sweat. This is already terrible, and over time the problems will just grow, and grow, and grow. Won't be too affected by flash dying though.

Insecurity, though, is a big one. Already today, there are countless trainers for every AE game. And once flash dies, the number of security errors will increase exponentially. And trainers aren't the only issue. It is irresponsible for any company to utilize flash after it stops getting security updates, and it would be 100% reasonable for users to stop play AE games just because of that reason. Seriously. Kids, if you see anything running flash after 2020, close it down immediately, uninstall it, whatever. It is a serious security risk for your computer.

Of course, the launcher is a brilliant move. It is great for potential future out-of-flash ports, and it also buys time. Previously the deadline was the Summer of 2019, when most major browsers makes it really hard to run flash in them. Now it is moved forward by more than a year, to November 2020. But I really hope that AE decides to port things over by then.
    DF  Post #: 4
    6/17/2018 3:46:19   
      WhiteTiger

Majestic Feline of AQ3D & ED

quote:

No. Browsers doesn't kill flash in 2020. Browsers remove flash in 2019, for all intents an purposes (it'll still be possible to go through it for power users, but you won't get 99% of the player base to do that).

Chrome will still support Flash the same way it does now until the end of 2020. Microsoft will do what Google's doing now with Chrome in 2019, then remove Flash completely in 2020. Safari is also removing support in 2020. Firefox is the only major browser that's removing Flash in 2019 and will only support Flash in 2020 in their ESR version.

quote:

Flash dies in 2020.

This is greatly exaggerated by the media. All Adobe's doing is stopping updates and distribution, that doesn't mean Flash stops working in 2020. That's why I say browsers are killing Flash, because they're the ones actually preventing people from running Flash in that particular browser. Of course, that doesn't apply to browsers that still support Flash beyond 2020, or standalone clients that embed Flash (which I presume is what the AE Game Launcher does). If you remember, Microsoft "killed" Windows XP in 2014 when they stopped providing security updates and definitely stopped distribution ages ago, yet 3 years later in 2017, Windows XP was still the world's third most popular operating system.

quote:

Some people don't seem to get this, but there's a reason for flash dying.

Yeah, I know all the reasons for Flash dying and I'm all for it. I'm just being pragmatic here.
    AQW Epic  Post #: 5
    6/17/2018 13:26:47   
    Cedrei

There will happen a major thing for Chrome's flash support in July 2019: You will have to go to settings and enable flash before you can do it by-site like today []. I remembered wrong, I thought it was going to browser flags like it was for Unity web-player in the end, so 99% was vastly exaggerated. But I'd say that 50% of people may not realize to do that/won't be willing to.

Yes, I never meant to imply that flash was going to magically stop working in 2020. It will stop receiving (security) updates. And, just like with XP, this means that it is a huge risk for the user to run anything with flash, especially if they are new to AE and don't know that AE would never try to break into their computers or whatever. The same thing is true with XP: No one should have kept running it after 2014. Of course, not everyone knows their cybersecurity 101, but my personal opinion is that it is highly irresponsible of any company to get said cybersecurity illiterates to use things that are discontinued.

AE has talked about converting their old games off Flash in the past, which is very nice, all that I'm worried about is that they decide not to because they think that the launcher is "good enough". If they end up not meeting the deadline of 2020, that's not very awesome, but as long as they try, that's fine by me. If they end up failing because the technical difficulties are too big, then that is very unfortunate, but not much that can be helped. But if they just stop trying because "Hey, we will technically not have to shut down in 2020 now!", then I will be very disappointed.
    DF  Post #: 6
    6/17/2018 22:31:26   
    Shiny_Underpants

Yes, flash is risky enough as it is, once it's abandonware it'll become a major threat.
    If there's a major exploit found after Flash stops receiving updates but before the stated deadline for the browsers, the browsers will be forced to immediately remove it, even before schedule.

The legacy rendering is a problem, too-- I run a quad-core brick, but it can run multi-threaded animation software better than Flash. Plus, other browser websites often use the first core.

AE often overhype things, so I had a suspicion this would happen. However, I'm still disappointed in them for this.
    DF MQ  Post #: 7
    6/18/2018 6:30:19   
    Jecht Dracopyre
    Original Hybrid

I think the sheer potential of this launcher could be amazing. The flash issue I feel is a dead horse so I won't beat on it instead, I'll touch on the fact that this launcher could be the battleon portal site on steroids. Battleon Portal was AE's attempt at a one log-in to rule them all approach check out Adventure Couch #7 with Miko for more on that, the launcher is done to future-proof the games but it could be so much more. Imagine running the launcher having ONE login after linking all of your accounts having the latest AE news right there at your fingertips with all of the games, clicking on a game having the latest news for that game as well as a one click log-in. Eventually there could actually be one currency that could be exchanged for amounts of the individual games currency futher into the future it could have some sort of achivement tracker from all that games that allows you to turn in points or levels for rewards and ect.

It wouldn't be quick but it could be pivotal it would give the games a stable home while re-writes and such are going on AqWorlds and other games shouldn't just be ported they should be expanded upon making sure that when 2020 comes the game is safe will give the team the freedom to improve in other areas of the game to make it better not just keep it alive. I believe they can pull it off and hope to see this thing get pushed to the crazy level of potential it has.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 8
    6/18/2018 10:07:57   
    Shiny_Underpants

Is having a single login so important? A single currency (Artix points) is handy, I suppose, but other than being able to convert ACs to DCs, there's no real additional benefit other than not typing in as many passwords. And the ability to convert AQW or AQ3D currency to anything else won't be done, I can promise you. If they lock your currency, you're more likely to spend it on that game, and pay for more currency for the other game, if you really want it; maximum spending methods are, so openly as to be admitted by the devs, at the core of AQW and AQ3D's design.
    Artix points are different, since they're like gift cards, and their spending is locked to AE content.
    DF MQ  Post #: 9
    6/18/2018 14:49:17   
    Jecht Dracopyre
    Original Hybrid

I believe it could be, Alina made a post on twitter about people returning to OS and if we want to see it updated ect. encourage people to log-in and play I could only imagine what could happen if things were consolidated (ED and others could see a huge boost in activity) as an older player half my passwords and such I can't even remember just to log-in play a specific release forget it and do it all again. In the old days, everything supported itself times change nowadays AQWorlds and AQ3D support everything with mobile dev/gaming blazing a path forward having one currency could be beneficial if your a fan on a specific game great buy that game's currency directly but if you play multiple games buy the multi-currency and get exactly what you need (specific armor, class, bundle) for each game the money supports AE as a whole. And as I stated before there could be some sort of reward tracker or system that can give you multi-currency for playing AE games "x" amount of hours or reaching milestones in the stories and such prompting players to be active. The end goal is to have AE as a whole flourish bring back old players attract new ones gain activity in each game to ground the company as a whole because as it stands now if AQWorlds slows down more things will get bad and quick AQ3D updates will be slower and less frequent and that game still has a way to go before it will be a standalone killer.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
    6/19/2018 16:07:31   
    Cedrei

AQC and DF can sustain themselves very well, thank you very much. If there's any active AE game that is struggling financially compared to its cost, it is AQ3D.
    DF  Post #: 11
    6/19/2018 20:38:16   
    Jecht Dracopyre
    Original Hybrid

^^oops, have to be more careful about what I say I didn't mean that they couldn't(DF has much better story content IMO) I mean that for AE to venture out and take further steps as a whole. Since it's inception until the Kickstarter the AQ3D project has been funded by AQWorlds (prbly battlegems and biobeasts as well) I'm just saying I think that it's still the AE cash cow for now and most future steps tech and game wise will probably be funded by AQWorlds until AQ3D takes off.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 12
    6/20/2018 0:37:39   
    Lord Noonien Soong

^Gonna be pretty interesting considering about 5k of their playerbase has dropped off since 2018 began.
    AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 13
    6/20/2018 2:57:00   
    Foulman

It'll be interesting if AE somehow makes a better version of Flash
    AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 14
    6/20/2018 3:58:30   
    megakyle777

I asked Artix by twitter PM if it was possible to covert the games from flash. What I got was:

quote:

The old games can not be magically converted out of flash. The underlying technology that drives them is flash.actionscript. The launcher removes the need for the browser/flash plugin-- sao the games are now future proof. Which will allow us to go back to building the mobile and cross platform versions of the games.

It seems to me as though the idea of the launcher is to remove the need for browser/flash plugin so as to remove the security risk and futureproof the games for possible further development via crossplanform/mobile tech. I have no idea how this would work or remove the risk, so don't ask me.

Also, go play Oversoul and the other non updated games in the launcher to try and revive them. Artix and Alina recent said in one of the launcher dns if they see a sustainable playerbase we may see updates.
    DF  Post #: 15
    6/20/2018 11:43:58   
    One Winged Angel1357

Just for some frame of reference Artix Entertainment is not likely to resume paid support of a game unless it puts more at the very least more than a good month of sales. Might be able to convince them to throw some volunteers at the projects with less but given the questionable return on investment for the projects it would be hard to justify using payroll on them.

EpicDuel has recently regained support from NightWraith but that is due to special circumstances and not what was described by Alina. If anything the player support seems worse then when the developers were put on AQ3D so don't use that in your benchmarks
    AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 16
    6/20/2018 14:29:01   
    Ninjaty

quote:

Yes, I never meant to imply that flash was going to magically stop working in 2020. It will stop receiving (security) updates. And, just like with XP, this means that it is a huge risk for the user to run anything with flash, especially if they are new to AE and don't know that AE would never try to break into their computers or whatever. The same thing is true with XP: No one should have kept running it after 2014. Of course, not everyone knows their cybersecurity 101, but my personal opinion is that it is highly irresponsible of any company to get said cybersecurity illiterates to use things that are discontinued.

AE has talked about converting their old games off Flash in the past, which is very nice, all that I'm worried about is that they decide not to because they think that the launcher is "good enough". If they end up not meeting the deadline of 2020, that's not very awesome, but as long as they try, that's fine by me. If they end up failing because the technical difficulties are too big, then that is very unfortunate, but not much that can be helped. But if they just stop trying because "Hey, we will technically not have to shut down in 2020 now!", then I will be very disappointed.

By taking Flash out of the browser and putting it into a customized launcher, many of the vulnerabilities it would have had in a browser are already removed. It is also possible that AE, with its new launcher in hand, will be willing to make updates to the Flash version that comes with the launcher themselves, allowing development of this specialized version to continue. This alone would have the potential to make it more secure than a distributed version of Flash could ever be, with or without Adobe's involvement.

You cannot really compare this case with the XP scenario either, as that was still just the OS being used in it's natural environment, where as here Flash now exists outside of the environment in which it would be most susceptible to exploits and attacks. XP also continued to see wide use after it discontinuation, not just because people were unaware of the dangers, but because of how much had been built upon it. Uprooting and moving elsewhere is not always an ideal choice, nor always the most sensible one, despite the dangers the local environment presents.

I for one celebrate this launcher as a huge step for AE, and hope that they will one day be able to use it to its full potential.

< Message edited by Ninjaty -- 6/20/2018 14:37:23 >
    Post #: 17
    6/22/2018 5:39:18   
    Rayimika

I keep asking on deaf ears cause launcher is a simple program - why are system requirements so high? I am using single core WinXP laptop and while flash version system can run is over 10(!!) above required (22.0 vs 8.0) for the game: what we're talking about returns non 32 bit error. What if I used limited bandwidth and this file was 50GB like modern age games - atleast post what it is compatible with if you don't speculate on lowering the plank.

< Message edited by Rayimika -- 6/22/2018 5:52:51 >
    AQ AQW  Post #: 18
    6/22/2018 12:41:59   
    Grawlix

@Cedrei AQ3D is actually self-sustaining nowadays or so I heard. If anything is struggling financially its all the dead and abandoned games they made like OS and MQ lol.
    AQW  Post #: 19
    6/22/2018 18:29:46   
      Phantasmia

Phantom Knight of AQW GD/Q&A

DragonFable is now playable from the launcher! (again). AdventureQuest Classic was made playable a few days ago and MechQuest is still being worked on.
    DF AQW  Post #: 20
    6/22/2018 19:50:26   
      Alina
    Battleon Sorceress

quote:

Might be able to convince them to throw some volunteers at the projects with less but given the questionable return on investment for the projects it would be hard to justify using payroll on them.

Greetings! A small update to clarify this: Artix Entertainment does not use any volunteer/contributor developers any longer. All content creation (writing, art, coding) is done by employees, regular contractors, or piecework contractors on a per project basis. (This includes the featured player/guest artists in AQWorlds.)

Artix and I would love to see enough players on OverSoul to justify weekly updates again, and we are looking at what we can to do help make that happen with our current team and resources.

We have already seen a huge upswing thanks to the efforts of the current playerbase and the game launcher release. To acknowledge their efforts and to give players more incentive to log in and support OverSoul, we'll be hosting an official tournament (once the current unofficial one hosted by OS player Ursys ends). I would like to see us host monthly or bi-monthly tournaments to help keep the current momentum rising.

< Message edited by Alina -- 6/22/2018 19:54:13 >
    AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 21
    6/22/2018 23:58:29   
    One Winged Angel1357

@Alina thanks for the update it's been awhile since I've been in the loop. Also if the community Black list of mechanically broken cards still exists possibly take a look at that so we don't have to use honor rules for all the tournaments. But it's been awhile since I've done an OS tournament as well so I'm not sure the current state of the game
    AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 22
    6/23/2018 1:47:40   
    Dr Disrespect
    Helpful!

quote:

o acknowledge their efforts and to give players more incentive to log in and support OverSoul, we'll be hosting an official tournament (once the current unofficial one hosted by OS player Ursys ends). I would like to see us host monthly or bi-monthly tournaments to help keep the current momentum rising.

I'm in heaven. Thanks A LOT.
    Post #: 23
    6/23/2018 2:48:13   
    megakyle777

quote:

We have already seen a huge upswing thanks to the efforts of the current playerbase and the game launcher release. To acknowledge their efforts and to give players more incentive to log in and support OverSoul, we'll be hosting an official tournament (once the current unofficial one hosted by OS player Ursys ends). I would like to see us host monthly or bi-monthly tournaments to help keep the current momentum rising.

I 100% support this idea. Question is do we go monthly or bimonthly?
    DF  Post #: 24
    6/23/2018 4:56:40   
    Shiny_Underpants

quote:

~original: @Alina
    Greetings! A small update to clarify this: Artix Entertainment does not use any volunteer/contributor developers any longer. All content creation (writing, art, coding) is done by employees, regular contractors, or piecework contractors on a per project basis. (This includes the featured player/guest artists in AQWorlds.)

That is very welcome to hear. Does this extend to forum moderation? Edit- and testers?

Provided the details are open/discussion allowed, is this a result of EU regulations, or the company taking additional steps?

< Message edited by Shiny_Underpants -- 6/23/2018 4:58:37 >
    DF MQ  Post #: 25
    Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> Artix Entertainment General Discussion >> =AE= Artix Games Launcher Official Thread
    Page 1 of 212>
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2017 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "WarpForce.com", "Artix Entertainment", "Artix"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY | Forum Home

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition