Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=EC 2018= Twilight Arena

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =EC 2018= Twilight Arena
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/15/2018 12:01:57   
  Starflame13

If Bren’s people had learned anything from the ever-changing, exceedingly powerful, and highly fickle arena complex that dominated their city, it was how to adapt. Quickly. Of course, the giant horde of strange, formidable, and otherwise insane competitors that visited every year probably helped with that as well. So despite the rampant destruction and piles of debris which still littered the streets, everyone was already consumed in revelry by the time hopefuls started to trickle in.

Music permeated the air, punctuated by the calls of innkeepers and shop owners. Delicious aromas of fine food and finer drink wafted about. Laughter and excited shouts grew louder as the sun warmed the city, illuminating the water droplets which clung to the walls of Bren’s homes and businesses until the city itself seemed to glow.

Still, as the trickle of newcomers turned into a flood of entrants and spectators, the air grew heavy. The first storm may have passed, but now it merely felt like the calm before a second, greater one. The Arena thrummed with power as the doors swung open to welcome the crowd. They yawned like the maw of some great beast, hungry and savage and ready to swallow those who dared accept its challenge. Even the seasoned officials, people whom had attended to the tournament’s needs for years, felt unease as they passed into the complex itself.

This would be a fight to remember.

Footsteps echoed loudly along the smooth stone passageway as the sounds of the spectators slowly lessened. Cool air caressed the faces of the people traveling deeper into the complex, further away from the blazing morning sun. Shadows lurked in every corner, seeming to pulse slightly as they passed out of sight. The passage halted suddenly before a heavy, teakwood door, across which crept mist and fog, though not heavily enough to entirely obscure the entwined sun and moon inlaid in silver and gold across its center.

Belonging to neither the brightness of day nor the gloom of night, Twilight still possessed traits of both while ever remaining its own enigmatic entity.

With a flash, the sigil blazed into life, blinding those standing before it. By the time their vision returned, the door had dissolved into the mist surrounding it. Tendrils of fog reached out, twining themselves about the limbs and torsos of the competitors, beckoning them through the haze and into the Twilight of the arena. Their task complete, the feelers seemed to almost melt away, leaving an unpleasantly cold feeling where their grip had been moments before.

Fog swirled and spun along the dark walls of the arena, occasionally revealing a bright flash of the entwined celestial emblem before hiding it just as quickly. It snaked its way across the ground, curling about the ankles of the competitors without quite touching or tripping. Still, it managed to hide how slick the dark grass underfoot was until the first steps were taken across it.

Overhead, the spectator-filled stands could just be made out through swirling black mists, as could glimpses of a full moon, rising overhead where the late-morning sun had been moments before. Curls of moonlight, silver and eerie, slipped through shadows above to illuminate the writhing fog below, creating a stark dance of Light and Dark that refused to blend. Lawless and chaotic, the conflict between the two filled the arena with tension and discord. At any moment, it felt as if the elements themselves would join the melee that had drawn all of the assembled into their midst.

A laugh, as chilling as the surrounding air, echoed from the stands above. A voice accompanied it, harsh and foreboding. “Let the Trial of Twilight: Nightmare, begin. Fight with valor, adventurers, or else forfeit your lives!”
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 1
7/16/2018 9:11:58   
nield
Creative!

Here she was, for the second time. The city of Bren. Its architecture no longer an amazement to Ineria, though she took note of the signs of hurried repairs, obviously some manner of disaster had recently struck the city and Ineria snorted. It would do them and all the citizens of the world well to be faced with the true nature of things, destruction and devastation, happy endings only for stories.

She had arrived not a week in advance this time, but a meagre few days. She had no desire to spend any more time here than she had to, even if one of the potential outcomes harboured that she may never leave again at all. She found herself at the same inn she had been 4 years prior, with even the same innkeeper, though age now more heavily marked his face.

“You’re here to compete.” He said. Taking one look at her. It was not a question she knew, for her appearance now brooked no argument that such would be her reason to be in Bren at this time of year. Ineria handed over money for room, and he made to protest, but it died aborning on his lips, with a single look into her remaining eye.

Ineria could see his brain working as they interacted, clearly trying to place her, but unable to reconcile her with the beauty she had had in their previous interaction, and she smiled at this reaction, or rather she snarled, and he repulsed slightly, causing her grimace to widen further. He made an excuse to pardon himself from her company, clearly discomforted by her.

She ate in silence, and in solitude. There was no-one who even dared remain near her, the nearest tables emptying, in what was attempted inconspicuity. Ineria noticed, of course, but she pretended not to. It sat well enough by her to remain isolated. You never knew, after all, just who people were beneath the masks they wore. She had learned well enough in recent years that not all masks were readily visible, that naked emotions could not always be trusted.

And so, the few days afore the Championships begun passed by quickly and in relative peace. Her sleep was haunted by visions of what had been and what had never been, but should have, but this was nothing new. Such had been the case for over a year at this point, a nightly occurrence. Her days passed by with people gawking at her and whispering and pointing when they thought she could not see.

Then, it was the day. She had not been entered into Cellar, which she felt would have been the ultimate perfect irony, but instead to Twilight. It made no difference, truly. Any arena would do, she was here to win, or die. No other options existing in her mind. As the flash dulled and vision returned, Ineria felt the cool tendrils of the fog reaching out and welcoming her into the Arena proper.

The coolness of the arena surprised her, but she welcomed it, as it loosened a few bothersome stress points in her body. It was not really cold enough to give her a legitimate edge over the other competitors, whom she gave her attention to, roaming her eyes for who she would target.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
7/16/2018 11:08:59   
roseleaf320
Creative!

I was not prepared for the city. Imagine a colorblind person not knowing they’re colorblind, and then suddenly being able to see normally. Then you might get an idea of what it felt like for me. I’d been cooped up in that tiny little neighborhood all my life, and everything there always stays the same. But the city had all KINDS of extremes. So many colors that I’d never seen in my life. Even besides that, all these different colors in one place! I’m ashamed to admit that I was a tiny bit overwhelmed. It was the BEST THING I’D EVER SEEN!! If this was just the entrance to the city, there had to be so much more! I was going to go see all of it!

What drew me to movement, though, was not actually my sight, but my hearing. There was a couple next door to me that sometimes played music together, but I’d never heard a full professional group. Their song came wafting down the street, like freshly-baked cinnamon bread. Fiddles, four of them, playing a really bouncy jig. I practically ran.

I spit out into a big plaza, with the fiddlers coming to view standing on a big circular platform in the middle. I was so excited, I couldn’t help myself: I ran out onto the ground in front of them and started to dance! I have no clue what I actually looked like, it might have seemed a little silly to people walking by, but I didn’t care, not one bit!

But as I started to get used to the music, I noticed something hunched over against a building on the edge of the plaza. There were people all over the place, but they were all moving, they all had somewhere to be. And the hunched figure was definitely living. Maybe it was just enjoying the music too? But something felt off, its temperature was incredibly low. Sure, I’d seen a few things walking around that had a much lower temp than humans, but this thing gave off the air of sickness that came with it. And it was shivering. Slightly, but I could tell.

“Hi there, what’s your name?”

No response.

I tried again. “I’m Bei, I’m not from around here at all. What’s your name?”

It noticed me this time, and lightly tapped a cardboard rectangle leaning up next to it. Which probably would have told me something, if I could read. I shake my head. “I can’t see.”

It seemed to think for a second, and then reached out for my wrists, placing them over its ears.

It was deaf.

How does someone that can’t read communicate with someone that can’t hear?

I pointed at it, and then wrapped my arms around my waist and shivered. Was it cold? I knew it was, but it was still polite to ask, really. It shrugged and shook its head… and then proceeded to suppress a shiver. Yeah, it was cold. I could fix that. I held one hand up, trying to ask it to just wait, and then lightly placed my hand on its shoulder. It jerked away from me and a startled noise came out of its mouth. Taking a deep breath, I tried to figure out how to convey that I was trying to help him. “I…” pointing to myself, “can heat…” rubbing my hands together, “you.” I pointed at it, and gathered a tiny bit of energy from the area around me to send a really small, gentle wave of heat to its face. It looked surprised and I nodded, placing my hand on its shoulder again. This time it just looked at me and stood still. Closing my eyes (fat lot of good that always does me, right?) and turning my focus inward, I pulled some of my own heat up from my chest and through my arm, watching it slowly enter at the being’s shoulder and disperse throughout its body. The smile that spread widely across its face in that moment took my breath away.

I stood up and reached my arm out to it, asking for its hand. It took my arm and together we got it standing on two legs: something it seemed like it hadn’t done in a while.

We danced together until long after the sun had gone down.

Approaching the door to her designated arena, Bei remembered how skeptical those in charge had been when she first stepped up to the championship table to register. They’d seen all different species, powers, sizes, and yet a sixteen-year-old blind girl gives them pause? Well here she was, and man, would she show them! She would laugh in their faces once they saw what she-

As she moved past the door, her thoughts of certainty and laughter froze, and a wave of panic rose up in her stomach. Blackness. There was nothing but blackness. She couldn’t tell where she had come from. She couldn’t see if there was anything surrounding her, she couldn’t see the colors the air always gave off, she couldn’t even sense her own body heat. For the first time in her life, Bei was truly blind- and utterly trapped.

Her worst nightmare had come to life.

Her breathing echoed through the hall, labored and quick. She flailed her arms around, feeling for something that might give her an anchor, some kind of indication that the world around her still existed. Her fingers slammed against a wall to her right and she snatched her hand back, shoving the injured fingers into her mouth in an attempt to soothe the pain. She reached her left hand out to where her right had impacted, slowly laying her palm against cold stone. There had to be an end to this somewhere.

After what felt like hours of walking, with only cold stone and echoes as her companions, she reached something solid blocking her path. Feeling through a heavy layer of mist, Bei realized it was made of wood. Was this the door into the arena? Iif it was, there was no handle, so she couldn’t open it. Was she just going to be stuck here, in total emptiness, forever?

She didn’t have long to entertain that idea, though, before she saw a flash of pure white heat burst from the metal sigil on the door. She stumbled backwards, a grin plastered on her face as relief washed over her. “That was awesome!!” She whooped and jumped, starting to make her way to the opening the door had created. She could still see!

Shivers ran down her spine as tendrils grabbed at her, pulling her forward into the arena. She shrieked and squirmed, but no amount of movement seemed to do anything. Soon she gave up, feeling slightly light-headed. She faintly wondered if they were just leading her off the edge of a cliff, or into a pool of acid, or something equally deadly. The flash of energy had been merely a way to toy with her before leading her to her grisly demise. But soon they dissipated into the air. Bei knew better than to sigh with relief this time; although, surprisingly, Bei felt her sight slowly returning. She could see her own body heat again, as strong as ever, though a little dulled at the edges. Bei shivered at the thought that maybe the air around her was slowly stealing her energy, though she couldn’t feel it dropping at all. Around her, her sight was mostly blurred, but every once in a while she sensed a flash far away from her, like the one that made the door open.

Different colors slowly began to show themselves as Bei realized she was out in the open. The air itself swirled with every color imaginable, possibly even more than she’d seen in the city itself. She was stunned both by amazement and apprehension. Part of her would have been happy to sit here the rest of her life, admiring the swirls around her, but a different part was ready to turn around and run as far away from here as she could get. She wasn’t safe in this arena - and that wasn’t just because of her fellow competitors.

But the enchanting show in the air reminded her why she was there. This was incredible, and yet no one but her could see it. All her life she’d been pushed away; abandoned and considered useless just because she couldn’t see the world her parents and her uncle saw. They just didn’t get it. She was here to finally show them what she could do, how awesome and smart of a daughter she really was. They would have to take her back after this. She didn’t even really need to win. But if she won, they’d be even more proud of her, and she’d get her wish. A wish for anything she wanted. A wish to show them this incredible rainbow she’d just walked into.

To her right, she sensed a tall man with incredible levels of energy, paired with an incredible amount of metal. How could he even carry all that? She could have vaguely sensed the ensemble from a hundred feet away! But he was still vague, even though he was much closer than that: Bei’s sight hadn’t been fully restored yet. Or maybe the many colors in the air were clouding it. Either way, it amounted to the same. She could see again, and after her ordeal in the hallway, that felt like finally coming up for air after being held underwater until she'd almost pass out.

She could sense something to her left, but it definitely wasn’t as bright as glowy-man (an appropriate nickname in Bei’s eyes. Though that’s not saying much, as her eyes don’t work). There was definitely metal, something long, maybe if she strained….

It was a gigantic spoon.

No, that, has to be wrong, it’s probably a hammer of some sort… right? Bei shook her head out and focused again and, no, it was still a spoon. And she could now see there was a man holding it, wearing… a cowboy hat? And a poncho?

...sure, why not.

Bei was still a bit frightened, and she couldn’t tell whether the two men beside her made her feel more or less so. These were her competitors - people trying to win just like she was - and they wouldn’t hesitate at her age as some of the officials did. Either of these men could very well be her killer. But they were oh so interesting! She knew she could really show off here, and have TONS of fun doing it! She couldn’t wait to see what the other competitors were like!

With her left hand over the sack of metal balls tied to her waist, and her dagger bound behind her right wrist, blind little Bei took her first step inside the arena of Nightmares.

I wonder if the glowy man can see energy just like I do! I can’t really ask him about it here, of course, this isn’t exactly the place for a friendly chat. But after this is all over with I’ll be sure to catch him, maybe take him out for lunch and we can talk about it over… macaroni and cheese. Mmm yeah, that sounds good right now. Wow how long has it been since I last… focus Bei, focus!

Post #: 3
7/16/2018 23:12:58   
brotherinlaw

As the wind carried me to the city, I felt a strange...twinge.... Upon entering. More so than the strong bonds to the Elemental Planes, the area had a strong yet complicated connection to the spirit realm. Interesting, coming a week early would, no doubt, prove bountiful in my studies.

Grabbing a man by the arm, apparently late for work, based on his state of disarray, I asked him for the location of an inn at which too rest. He took a moment to answer, perhaps taken aback by the skulls on my neck or my discolored eyes, I could not tell. He shook his head and pointed out a large building near the gate. I thanked him and handed him a few good coins (I have always believed politeness is a necessity), then took off for the tavern.

With the permission of the barkeeper, I posted on the local 'odd jobs ' board, offering my services. As it turns out, clearing out spirits and curses was in high demand, as most magic users only seem to come for the Championship and then leave. Interestingly, most of the spirits I encountered were brought back, hitch hikers from when a villager had left and picked up an unwanted ghost or nature spirit. Apparently the Arena was a sort of sinkhole of spirits, sucking souls directly to the afterlife and preventing undeath. This was a relief for me, as I had allways feared becoming a Lich. Though my level of Necromanctic power meant I could not prevent it myself, a long life had taught me that mortality that ends with a finality is a necessity for a happy human being, and I would enjoy the rest at the end of it all.

It was quite obvious when a competitor would enter the city, each one harried by a menagerie of spirits. It made sense,or course. Personal strife could summon all kinds of malevolent entities, from ones that cause headaches to a kind that works in threes, tripping someone, skinning them, and sewing it back on not quite right within a microsecond. Meanwhile, being in the company of death or upsetting the dead is a good way to be plagued by human spirits. I assume one of both would be the case of people so desperate for a wish that they would die for it. If any should survive, perhaps I should ask to cleanse them.

As I enter the arena, my suspicions are confirmed. Necromancer's are at their weakest here. A few lesser spirits would have to suffice. Luckily, the staff had allowed me to light my burner before entering, so I had ample smoke for my first three summons. The arena setting was of little issue to me, my interest far more drawn by those around me. As I instinctively adapted to the motion (monks have quite the history of spinning, let me tell you!). To my one side there appeared to be some kind of food-based technomancer, to another an Illistrian that I had seen in the inn, her body so surrounded by dark emotion and the spirits feeding on it I wondered how she had not died yet. And were those....childred? I gave my head a firm shake. The kind of people who are entered are so varied and powerful, who knows what these 'children' really are ? Such thought could get me killed, better to fight now and, if possible, commune with their spirits later and apologize.

I quickly summon my spirits around me and wait. I will not be the first one to attack, but I ready my dart for the fight!
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
7/17/2018 20:33:56   
TormentedDragon

“Whither walks the wanderer?”
“Where the whimsy winds.”

They gather in the street, children gawking and parents staring, as the notes of the violin and concertina wash over them. The music grows steadily louder, the chorus of bone marching upon the city’s limits. Bleached hands pull bows across the strings of their instruments: viola, violin, and cello, held beneath the ever grinning chins of the band of skulls. At the fore of this procession walks the Checkered Fool, swaying back and forth to the rhythm of the waltz, robes flowing this way, and that, a mesmerizing cascade of black and white.

The Fool twirls, a hint of foot revealed as robes rise, and bones snap together to the music, another body built by the beat, until drakel skull faces that of deer, and hands of bone rest within those of flesh. They dance, then, as the high strings enter, a waltz of the living and dead, parting the crowd before them.

A flourish of one gloved hand, and gleaming skulls pop from their necks, lifted into the air by the hands they govern. A drum resounds, and jaws drop open to lend voice to the music; a wordless chorus, calling to all who can hear. The Fool dances on, their partner’s tail sweeping wide as they spin, onlookers shifting to give them way.

As the music winds down, the chorus begins to scatter; skulls vanish into dust, their instruments following with the end of each part. The Fool remains, but their partner, less and less with every turn. As the last notes play from the lonely violin, the waltz ends, and there is only the checkered robes beneath the skull, movement stilled in the sudden silence.

The crowd waits, breath held. The Fool bows, head dipping down to touch the tip of the skull to the stone of the road, then rises, whirls about, and is away, vanishing into the warrens of Bren’s alleyways.

Only then does sound return, the Noise of life filling the streets once more as the gathered crowd disperses.

The gloved hand twitches, fingers wrapped in string contorting beneath the confines of the heavy robe. Below, the bones of another hand grasp the quilled pen, dipping the point into ink. The puppet’s human skull turns, eyeless sockets pointed at the puppeteer. “It wants a name,” a voice rasps, the puppet’s jaw moving with the words.

The robed person tilts their head, ever so slightly; the deer skull rises, revealing more of the pale, masked face beneath. Eyes of clouded green stare back at the puppet’s skull. Wires twist, and the feather taps against the puppet’s jawbone. “You’re right,” rasps the voice. “We can’t just use one name.”

“We’re all ‘ere, innit?” another voice growls, deep and sonorous, seemingly from within the robes themselves. “We’n all got a stake in this’n.”

“Correct,” a third voice adds, this one weedy and aged. “No name of ours suffices.”

“Then what,” the puppet rasps, arms pulled wide by attendant strings, “shall we tell the paper? Is there a name for all of us?”

“Ask ‘r strings,” growls the second voice. “Migh’ be a thought in ‘ere.”

“Well?” the puppet asks, one finger bone placed above a socket, mimicking the motion of an eyebrow raising. “Do green eyes have an offering?”

For the first time, the mask shifts, the mouth hidden behind black and white seeming to move; though no words are spoken, the puppet nods. “It works,” it rasps, and whips back around, quillpoint dashing with alarming speed across the proffered page, supported as it is by bones directed by dancing string. The pen alights, finally, within its holder, and the puppet bows to the wide-eyed official. “Fare thee well, messere,” the voice rasps, and the skeleton collapses, bones vanishing beneath the robes of the puppeteer.

It’s a long moment after the oddity has left before the official moves to read the name. “OZ” the letters read, scribed in a fanciful, flowing script, and ended with a flourish. “Yet another loon,” he says with a shake of his head, and puts out a new page; this one’s name had taken all the space left.

The corridor stretches before them, its walls naught but a vague suggestion, a sketching of the limits of reality. Their feet touch lightly on ethereal stone, taking them, step by step, towards the only bit of reality available: the great edifice of a door, painted in an ever-shifting ripple of shadowed mists.

Light plays at the center, then blazes, a blinding sigil of sun and moon, pulsing in their eyes and in their brain. They raise an arm, to block the writhing gold and silver, feet never stopping. A final step, and they stand where the door should have been, golden strands of fog streaming across their robes, catching their gaze and pulling them along. The streams shift silver, the hundred stars and moons flickering before their gaze, multiplying into suns of countless number, weaving, even waving, as they wander once more forward.

They close their eyes, shuttering all within the curtain of blindness, fingers twitching at their strings. Their bones shift, a subtle clattering as they re-arrange, a certain skull resting at their hip. They see its grin within their mind, teeth and bone masked behind a bushy beard, the frown barely visible beneath the hair. “Overmuch to see,” this voice rasps, beard rustling with the movement of his lips.

They nod, and take a breath, eyes opening once more. The cascade of sigils has gone, long past its crescendo, and only mist remains, dotted here and there by patches of light and shadow. Their fingers twitch again, and another skull shifts, eyes of amber staring past a long, hooked nose. “We’n not alone. See ‘em others?”

They narrow their eyes, brow furrowing beneath their guardian’s head. There were blurs, suggestions of figures dotted around this plain, across and beside them. Their guardian twitches, shifting side to side, and they turn their head to follow. To their right, the figure flickers, edges sharpening and scratching, points of grey exploding across what should be the face. There are goggles, there, loose about the shape of the neck, resting on the darkness of a former life. They turn, their guardian pulling their gaze left, to see a figured limned in darkness; at its waist, shimmering and shining, a disk of purest silver.

They shudder, and their guardian nods, tooth dipping forward. “For’ard, us,” the hooknose mutters, and they walk, robes sweeping the mist before them.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 5
7/18/2018 22:09:50   
Ultrapowerpie

Mail Moogle of AdventureQuest

“Here we are, big city. Remind me again why the heck I’m here instead of serving out on the range?” a gruff voice asked.

“Mr. Grease, you know the bounty here was too big to pass up. CowCo is offering a fortune just to test out C.H.U.C.K. in extreme combat conditions!” a rather distinguished voice responded. The voice came from a rather distinguished looking gentlemen with a distinguished looking mustache and a distinguished looking suit. Very distinguishing, overall.

The rather strange pair were walking down one of

“Yes, but why HERE? This competition’s rowdier then a snake locked inside a juneberry bush, and that’s saying something,” Silas responded.

“Elemental Championships are a great marketing opportunity...”

“Of course, I should have reckoned that another job of yours was all for the promotion of CowCo. Remind me why I’m friends with a snake-oil salesman like you again?”

“It’s not snake-oil, it’s Basilisk-Oil...”

“They’re just big snakes, you city slicker,” Silas interjected, lightly whacking the other person on the head with Lad.

“Ouch, Silas, watch it, will you? That thing’s still warm too...”

“Quit yer whining Travis, you’re the one who got me into this mess, you’re the one who’s going to take my gruff until we get to this poorly lit arena!”

“It’s the Twilight Arena, Silas. Supposed to be about darkness and light colliding… I think. CowCo’s intelligence division said these arenas shift every year. Some a bit, some completely overhauled. CowCo has been fascinated with the entire competition for years...”

“Tarnation! Travis, quit yer caterwauling. I don't’ care about your high end job with CowCo, even if it did land me this fancy pants wagon on my back. Is the boiler operational on this contraption?” Silas asked, looking over his shoulder at the C.H.U.C.K.

“Yeah, it’s chugging along on low back here. I thought the left console had the setting on it...”

“Just cuz it SAYS it’s set to very low doesn’t mean it’s actually doing it, yer varit,” Silas retorted.

“Actually, yes, it does. See that purple light on there? That thing lights up if there’s an internal problem with the console and C.H.U.C.K.”

“And how in the name of the Water Lord does this thing know when it’s not working? It’s a machine, or so you keep claiming,” Silas asked, glaring at Travis.

“Yes, yes. It is completely mechanical. Possibly a bit of magic to help with stability… It’s most certainly not anything else. Nope. There’s nothing suspicious about it’s ability to detect malfunctions at all,” Travis stammered.

“Again, why am I friends with you?”

“Reno, 86” Travis nodded with an heir of nostalgia.

“Ah, yes…” Silas smirked, remembering fondly.

“There’s the entrances to the arenas down that path” Travis pointed out.

“That seems mighty convenient considering you still haven’t answered my question,” Silas scowled.

“Look, I’ve made the necessary… adjustments. C.H.U.C.K. will work flawlessly in whatever arena you go in. Worry less about him and more about the other contestants,” Travis assured.

“I’ve been in plenty of tussles before, this won’t be any different. It’s not like this is the first time C.H.U.C.K. has seen action” Silas responded.

“Yes, but it IS the first time you’ve been in an death arena filled with unearthly magickz and other contestants putting their lives…”

“Can it, Travis. You’ve never been in an actual scrap, I don’t want you lecturing me on it. Now tell me exactly what you need me to do before you get a sample of the Reaper,” Silas growled.

“Whoa, easy, easy, I do not need that!” Travis backed away with his arms up. “CowCo just needs you to survive the Paragon Phase. You don’t even need to get chosen. Just survive long enough to showcase off the merch, and you can do whatever.”

“And what if I win?”

“I hear you get one wish. I’m not privy to the details of the rules, if any to it, but I’m sure that’s enticing,” Travis pointed out.

“Stuff it, I’m heading on in, you just make sure you don’t get run out of town hawking junk, cuz I ain’t savin you from another mob. Not this time,” Silas warned.

“Right, right, well good luck in there, and remember, mention CowCo!”

“I’ve got a few choice things to say about CowCo,” Silas growled.

The spectacle of the entry to the arena did not impress Silas. Blinding people just to make a door disappear is one of the oldest trick’s in the book; Specifically “How to make people think you’re magical with doors.”

Foggy Tendrils were at least a bit more original, and were at least kind enough to escort contestants into the arena. However the unpleasant feeling afterwards was just plain rude, and Silas Grease would not stand for a rude tendril of any kind. Just ask Travis about the story of CowCo’s short lived Calamari Canned Chowder boom when Silas ran into a pit of desert squid. Yes, they were a thing. Thankfully you will never have to worry about that nightmare again. You’re welcome.

He vowed that there would be a reckoning, but that would have to wait until later.

Observing the surroundings, Silas felt the fog at his feet. It seemed innocent enough, but after the previous reckoning vow he was immediately suspicious of it. That and possibly that he had that run in with that cave that wasn’t a cave… (No, it’s a long story, we won’t get into it now. Just rest assured, you won’t have to worry about that particular cave any more.)
Fog’s as thick as pea soup… hmmm, turning fog into soup… N’awww, place ain’t right; feels like a married couple’s fighting while the children are running around crazy. Silas thought. Definitely going to need to add this to the list…

Next were the competitors, or at least the two near him. On one side was a teenage girl, which automatically told Silas that she was trouble. That and her clothing combined with the lack of an actual weapon screamed mage to him. Why can’t people wear proper attire for combat? He thought.

The other one looked like a monk. I mean, he had a monk getup and was even bald like one, though the shaved eyebrows seemed a bit much. One thing for sure, that meant a close combat fighter; most likely one with some sort of elemental ability. Everyone in this tournament HAD to have SOMETHING with the elements. Just cuz their self proclaimed lords and ladies don’t mean they need to be rude to those who don’t want to align. Silas thought. Ain’t right, even if it is called an Elemental Championship. Ain’t they the ones saying the elements are all hunky dory and married to each other? This sure doesn’t feel like a proper marriage, that’s for dang sure. Least not a happy one.

Silas let out a snort and spit out his trademark toothpick onto the arena floor. A few squelches of the grass was all he needed to know that this place would be a giant playpen for him.

After a final cursory glance at the gauges and whatnot on the control arms, making sure Lad was firmly holstered, Silas gripped both control arms and stood ready for a ruckus. Whatever came his way, he swore he’d show them the best cooking this side of the nearest river.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 6
7/19/2018 6:02:55   
nield
Creative!

Ineria looked around at the other competitors arrayed around the arena. One across the arena was a child… or, more likely, some creature PRETENDING to be a child. She’d fallen for that particular ruse once and would not make the mistake again. She could not quite make out the competitor directly opposite her as a shadow had chosen that instant to obscure them from her sight. Moving on showed a decrepit looking individual wearing the skull of some animal. A necromancer then, evil magics moving the bones of the dead to the sick amusement of the puppet-master. I’ll have to make sure to deal with that one.

The next competitor was suffused with shadow similarly to the being directly opposite her, so she swung her gaze back to the right, stopping for half an instant on a man who seemed to be dressed for what she assumed was desert weather, wholly out of place here. Directly to her right was some manner of monk. Directly to her left was some masked man wearing clothing rather than armour. She made to lock her gaze on the necromancer, when she froze.

A beam of light had struck the cap of the man to her left, the symbol emblazoned there blazing brightly for a single moment, but it was all Ineria needed. She had seen the symbol before, in connection to some paladin or other. She felt it rising up inside her chest, the unrelenting fury, hatred born of the past few years’ experience. PALADIN-WORSHIPPER What had become the second worst possible insult in her mind roared forth and her hand clenched by her side as her teeth clenched and she snarled, her face overtaken by a perfect mask of ugliness.

PALADINS! Self-righteous, arrogant, pompous dastards, all of them hiding behind the delusion of the masses of their being bastions of peace, enemies to evil, while they themselves ravage the unsuspecting! And this cretin would worship such filth![ Her single eye blazed bright in her head, signifying her naked fury, were any close to resolve the sight. She tightened her grip on her tower shield, hefting it up, as her right arm snaked to her waist and collected one of her throwing daggers.

And then she was off, her powerful legs pumping her across the relatively short distance ‘twixt her and the masked man, her right arm held such that it appeared she was using both arms to maintain her shield height. When she was a few metres shy of him her right arm arced away and around, loosing the dagger held in its grasp towards the man’s midriff, before snaking, not to her sword sheathed across her left hip, but the ugly, mottled looking spiked ball of a mace secured to her right leg. She fully intended to smash into the fiend with her shield, but if he dodged she readied fit to cave his skull in.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 7
7/19/2018 8:14:56   
Starstruck

"So there I am, topless, sitting on an excavator, in an abandoned mine somewhere, so I'm sitting there, barbecue sauce on my torso, and I'm just like, what on Lore...Again?"

Uproarious laughter followed Vir around Bren, sailing out of bright taverns and filling the air with warmth and good cheer. These were the days Vir lived for - bright sun, starry night, tavern after tavern filled with smiling faces, old friends and new. It was more fun, of course, to toss around his heavy iron discs for the completely unsuspecting, but Vir worked hard to ensure that the magic of the performance never truly died. Shapes, patterns, crackling lights - he'd gotten good, lately, at that one, and finally led a few of his noble friends to catch on that he might not be actually slinging the discs with physical strength alone - it was a masterpiece every time. Some places it was tough to keep from destroying the furniture, some places it was encouraged to carve gouges out of the ceiling and demolish the fireplace. A wandering entertainer must be able to know his audience the instant he enters the room. Vir might have been a jester, but he was no fool.

"Well, you folks have been JUST lovely, but I'm afraid I have to retire now. You know what tomorrow brings!" Vir gave a merry salute, wrapping his discs back around his waist and jaunting off.

A voice drifted from the corner of the room. "Wait, stay! Have another drink! The Paragons aren't worth watching, Vir, you can sleep in tomorrow and still catch the finals!"

Vir grinned, lithe and carefree, the picture of youth and innocence. "On the contrary, my friend. I've got a good feeling about the Paragons this year."

He hadn't expected the arena to be so...distracting.

The dappled shade of the Twilight Arena was scattered haphazardly across its fog banks, refracting the glittering beams of moonlight? sunlight? something else? in unpredictable directions. The cold mist coated the floor and walls, flashing with light and dark, dazzling Vir's senses. As he stepped out into the damp arena, careful not to skid on the damp grass, feeling VERY underdressed, his magnetic field blazed to life and the coils of iron and copper unwound themselves from his waist like cobras readying to strike.

OUT, came the old exhortation in his mind, and he felt the discs respond instantly, finding their ready positions spinning around either side of him, pulled by gravity in lazy circles. His boots sought purchase on the slick grass as he took wary steps forward. His eyes sought targets. There, to his left - a young girl, sweet as morning dew, uncertainly taking a few steps into the arena grounds. Perhaps he could enlist her aid with a smile and a wink. He'd charmed smarter before. Wait! To his right, movement. A towering presence, black and white blended together in twilight tones, striding confidently through the mist towards the center of the arena. Something to hit.

"Right then." Vir crouched. A moonbeam ran across his face, flashing across white teeth, and then he was running freely, feet thudding against whatever peculiar earth the arena had summoned, taking a lazy spiraling path that started to the left and veered harshly towards his checkered target. As he approached, his arms and mind yanked at the heavy cables, iron shadows making lazy figure-eights through the air. The momentum was intoxicating - each swing of a disc carried him forward and pulled him back, body confidently twisting and reacting to find each new surefooted step. These were the moments that he lived for. The dull hiss of iron slicing through dead air. One heartbeat. Two. The dull thud of boot on firm earth. Four steps, ten feet. Inhaling and exhaling in rhythm. Eyes locked on the walking catacomb before him. He would strike, and soon.

A red glow, embers rising and fading into ash. Just him and his discs. Whirling, whirring, magnetic field humming and whining. He had just seen two men walk twenty-five feet across hot coals barefoot, unhurried and flat-footed. The idea made Vir kind of nauseous, truth be told. Fire and pain, burning and death. Unnecessary.

Whirling back and forth, showing off his strength and skill. Flashes of dim iron in the dark, glowing red in the firelight. Back, forth, back, forth back, forth, BACK. Stepping nonchalantly up to the coals in a lurching gait.

Why would you ever walk when you can fly?
DF MQ  Post #: 8
7/19/2018 21:42:54   
TormentedDragon

This place is cold; a chill that nips at their heels and toes. Mist seeps beneath their warding robes with every step, eddying around and below the fabric’s edge. Streaks of pointillated lightning shoot through the mist with every step, crackling and leaping towards the bodies that had joined them in this darkness-dappled battleground.

One flashes, and they wince, eyes drawn inexorably towards the burst; the tallest of the figures, a crouching titan, painted in scattered strokes of white. Its outline screeches, a wild stuttering of its very definition, and they look away. “Do not be under-wary,” rasps the beard, shifting against their hip. “That is one to watch.”

They nod; but there is movement, the disc- nay, two of them, twinkling through light and darkness around the darkened runner, silver death on hidden wings. Silver moves to strike at them! “Punish them,” says the weedy voice. “All death must be denied.”

They turn and fling their arms, wires humming through their chorus. Robes flutter, revealing the bones beneath, already shifting at the hands of the puppeteer, skull and spine and claws clattering together as the darkened figure charges. The puppeteer’s throat bobs, the wolf bones snarl, and both leap forward; deer skull ducks, body bending to a crouch as strings command the wolf to bite, a leg for its pointless dinner.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 9
7/20/2018 3:15:32   
Sanctus

The city and its denizens were as strangers. He had known them once. Or was it one before? Were officers born on the battlefield, or in towns like this? Probably the former. The boy beneath the mask laughed. The god within laughed too. It was a joke made better in its bittersweet memories, troubling as the loss of them might be.

“Can I not be merry while playing the game?” said the boy.

“As you wish.” said the god.

The officer said something but he could not be heard.

Those before him were quiet, not in silence, but because their pieces were long out of play.

“Today we will revel in the game then. Today we will not be heroes, but what comes after. And together, we can laugh some more at doing it all out of order.” said the boy.

“As you wish.” said the god.

The officer shouted this time, not in anger, in worry. But he could not be heard.

The northern gatekeeper of Bren stared and thought he might be better off letting this one through without a toll. In fact, sizing the fella up, he ought to finally take his commander out for a few drinks, just in case.

Cobblestones and dirt shook the pawn. He had long been used to a different kind of playing field, but the boy took each step in stride, the smell of straw, smoke, livestock, filling his lungs with familiarity, with home.

“Truly this is a night for champions! Surely we’ll find a tavern fit for one, aye?”

“As you wish.” said the god, smiling, finding the effort more difficult than he’d expected.

The officer grimaced. But his men paid little heed.

The farmer of Bren could only point to the nearest bar, and wonder whether his taxes were really helping the local guard.

The boy stared at the ale, and realized he’d been a man for so long, yet had not done all that father said would make it so. The pawn brought the mug forth in salute, and the boy remembered his father in its amber, laughing again, grasping it as well.

“Let us drink! To the game!” said the boy. Yet in truth it was to another, one he hoped to see at the cup’s bottom.

“As you wish.” said the god, far too pleased with the game to see its end.

The officer shook his head, steeling himself. But this call to iron could not be heard.

The bartender of Bren waited to see how his new customer would drink with a mask on. Table four started taking bets.

This new gate shuddered as it rose, soft mist disrupted, parting, as the pawn stepped forth into the mix of light and shadow, dancing across the mask, careful only to do so in pairs. The new pieces stepped into view. But the pawn could only gaze ahead as memory struck, the true game yawning before him.

The boy suffocated as the years returned. As his childhood left him.

The god retreated beneath the stairwell, realizing the greater pain he had dealt.

The officer waited. Inside he wept for them all, glad he could not yet be heard.

The Twilight of Bren saw the dark in the pawn, perhaps recognizing the mask, parting the fog for but a moment, seeking to pay light in exchange, to recognize what dwelt beneath. The beam cast its way forth, alighting upon his cap.

The boy steadied himself in its assurance.

The god returned, called by the light, and was surprised to see an Illistrian, a people whose prayers paid him and all ends heed, charging forth, shield raised, eye alight with rage. Indeed this was a day for blindness.

“As you wish.” said the officer, readying the rook, its unseen towers raising to meet the Illistrian’s shield. Her blow would find no solace this day, and her balance no quarter. The game had begun anew.
Post #: 10
7/20/2018 8:50:11   
brotherinlaw

Chanting in time with my ancestors, my mind gathers focus as the smoke swirls around me. A few more minutes and I would have enough to summon another spirit should one fall. As those already summoned circle lazily around me, formlessnes hiding the danger they pose, I observe my foes.

The Illistrian woman is charging, rage obvious on her features as she flew at the Paladin across the way. While my first instinct is to interfere, I must remind myself these are enemies. Besides, should the warrior's appearance be fact, it is better that she remove or exhaust a zealot that specializes against my kind before we fight.

Another necromancer appears to have entered the fray, though he seems to specialize in a different form than I. Still, several encounters had already taught me that those practicing the more banal forms of the dark art were by no means less dangerous than I.

Yet another, appearing to be engaged with my fellow practitioner, seemed to wield weapons strange, wire and disks moving around in a strange manner. Perhaps he was a geomancer wielding metal, or a ferromancer with magnetism? I'll have to keep an eye on him...

The technomancer of food seemed to have the same idea as me, holding back and waiting until the time was right. He would be a challenge, then. The hardest ones to fight weren't the most powerfull, but the most cunning.

The rest has become hidden in the shadows, a thing that worried me more than the power of those I saw in combat. This unnatural merging of light and darkness is dangerous, easy to get lost or to lose your enemy. I must be careful, not just of the combatants, but of the arena itself!
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 11
7/20/2018 10:51:27   
roseleaf320
Creative!

One; She felt her right foot sink into the soft earth underneath her. Two; the mist reclaimed her left, a dense layer of coolness clouding its heat. Three; she felt a chill down her spine as the colors around her stilled. The arena itself stood frozen, holding its breath. Four; the breath was let go. A sigh not of relief, but anticipation, an arsonist watching from a bush as the first flames begin to lick through the windows. Her fellow energy competitor took off in her direction, metal disks swirling from the thick chains that bound them to his waist. Bei jolted, surprised at the sudden movement, but recovered quickly to plant her feet firmly into a defensive stance, gathering air around her right hand to use as lightning if it became necessary. But, just as quickly as she braced herself, she noticed him swerving away from her, towards the center of the arena.

“Hey, wait!”

Bei stood for mere moments, frozen in indecision, her focus flicking between the man streaking past her and the being on her other side, who seemed to be tinkering with a weird contraption of some sort. With both hands on what seemed to be handles for the device, Bei saw the gigantic spoon was actually holstered, and wondered if everyone in the arena was weighed down by this much metal. While the ensemble was certainly interesting, she decided she’d rather fight with someone who’s methods may be more understandable to her. She darted after the other man, struggling to keep up with the extra push he was able to get by swinging his metal chains. A few steps in she heard what seemed like a miniature lightning crack coming from far in front of her, but she saw nothing indicating it had come from the man she was following, or been directed at her, so she kept up her sprint.

Soon, a second man came into view, slightly thin and gangly. He was covered head to toe in some kind of cloak, with lots of weird, cool armor underneath it. On top of his head was a helmet made of the same material, and shaped like… an animal skull? Was all that armor made of… bones? She was about fifteen feet away from him by the time her metal boy caught up, and she watched him spring off the ground to attack the cloaked figure. Bei again readied for a fight.

But then the puppet came.

Slipping out of the cloak came a small wolf, poised to bite at the leg of its attacker. It was pulled with strings of- Bei didn’t even want to think about what that material might be- and the puppet itself was entirely the same material she had seen underneath the cloak. Bones.

Bei had imagined all kinds of magic and fighting that she might be faced with in the arena. She wouldn’t have been phased by attacks of pure fire, or tremendous ice giants; she’d even heard there was a ferret in the championships this year, though she didn’t think it was in her arena; but puppets made out of bone? Holy….

Bei couldn’t decide if she was more horrified or curious. I guess, maybe it’s a little cute? If you get past the bone part?

“Wow, that’s amazing!”

Well I’ll have to attack at some point. When that happens, should I help the man with the bones? Glowy man? Neither? I want to make friends with Glowy, but in terms of the championship, he’s my direct competitor to get into finals. Plus, whatever he has around him is really distorting my vision, it’s kind of pretty but it makes things a bit confusing. But gosh, that puppet is really cool! I want to see if he has any others! I should also probably figure out their names at some point. But hey I need to stop talking quick so, the question remains unanswered, dun dun dun!
Post #: 12
7/20/2018 11:56:09   
Kooroo

A mouse scurried somewhere within one of the old cabin’s walls, its feet echoing through the cracked elm boards. The dusty head of a hippogriff loomed above, its glassy, unseeing eyes gazing at the pair below; a tall, tanned fellow leaning back on a rickety chair, and a young, bright-eyed youth, standing next to the table.

“Can you explain it once more? I just want to make sure that even you understand what you’re saying.”
“Daford…”

Daford sighed and swung his legs off the table. His dark eyes met Elias’ golden ones, and Elias held his gaze as the older man got up from his seat.
“Okay, fine. I’ll summarize the main ideas and explain your plan back to you, and you can correct me if I’m wrong.”

“... If you want? It’s... It’s not exactly a recipe for triple-layered faerie cakes, so I don’t see what needs explaining.”

“Honestly, I’m just hoping that if I tell you what you just told me, you’ll realise just how stupid it sounds and change your mind about, well, changing your mind.”

It was Elias’ turn to sigh. “Fine, but let’s walk as we talk. It’s about time for dinner, and I’m starting to get hungry.”

He turned on his heel and walked from the room, listening to Daford’s grumbling as he followed. Elias went outside the cabin and stretched, admiring the setting sun’s rays from their raised position on the edge of the mountain. Trees and forest sprawled out below them. In the distance had been their destination; a fortified city, its many spires and fluttering flags visible from behind its walls.

Elias looked away from the view, and started down the mountain trail with Daford beside him. They continued walking for a good five minutes before Daford broke the silence. “Did you speak to the others?”

Elias gave a small grin. He’d been expecting that question. “I have, actually.”

“And how’d that go? The news that after two months on the road, just as we’ve paid a deposit on that ancient shed and are approaching Amberworth, you’ve had a change of mind.”

“Well, you can guess,” Elias said, the grin vanishing. “They all reacted the exact way you’d expect. Tylia asked about a dozen questions and then went to pack her gear and regents. Reuben just nodded and walked off to sharpen his sword. As for Annette-”

“Roasted you? Grilled you?”

“Grilled. Like a fish, though I managed to slow things down a bit. For once.”

“Oh? And did you use some secret carpenter technique to persuade her?”

“Uh, no. Nothing quite like that.”

“Ninjitsu?”

“... I think you need to read up on what carpenters or ninjas actually do, but I'm pretty sure that one doesn’t mediate and the other one sneakily stabs things. And i’m pretty sure that stabbing is the opposite of mediation. But nah, all I did was point out that whenever we’re doing one of her jobs and she gets cold feet we don't make a song and a dance about pulling out.”

Daford looked mildly surprise. “Not bad, kid. I was expecting her to just nail you with the spell book and drag you to the doctor.”

“Uh, yeah, that still almost happened. Like I said, I managed to slow things down, but,” Elias grimaced at the memory, “I don’t think she was particularly happy. She thought about it and then said ‘but I’ve never thrown away two months of hard work’, and then she threw the book at me and I ran out of the room.”

“Well that’s more like it! Keeping with tradition.”

“Oh shut it. Weren’t you going to give me a poetry recital or something?”

“Well, you can call it a poem if you want, but if I have to read up about ninjas then you have to read up about poetry. But anyway, the new plan. As proposed by Elias Iivonen,” Daford said, kicking a stone on the path. “Step one, leave Amberworth.”

“We technically aren’t in Amberworth, but-”

“Step two, travel to Brin.”

“Bren, actually. Brin is only a short trip over those mountains. From what I gather, Bren’s a bit further away, so there might be-.”

“Step 3, you enter the annual free-for-all tournament with us cheering you on from the stands.”

“You don’t ha-”

“Hush, Elias! Let me finish.”

Elias held his tongue and trudged on. The remaining daylight in the sky was fading fast now, darkening rapidly as a small village came into view.

“And step 4, you win, or hopefully win, and say it for me… What do you win?”

Elias gave another sigh. “A wish.”

“Right, a wish. Genie-in-a-lamp solution, huh,” Daford scowled and stopped walking. “So what’s the difference between winning this tournament or blowing out the candles on top of your next birthday cake? I’ve told you before, Elias, there are some things out there that even magic can’t fulfil. Acts of divine intervention are few and far between, and even then I’m sceptical. And even then, what would a wish get you that money couldn’t?”

Elias didn’t break stride. “Answers.”

Daford opened his mouth to argue, but didn’t say anything and kept walking.
When it became clear that there wasn’t going to be a counterargument, Elias continued. ”I know that you’re against anything that seems like a longshot, or involves ‘hocus pocus’, as you often put it, Daford. But whenever I’ve gone with the conventional options — the investigators, information brokers, agencies and whatever — they’ve come up empty handed. I’ve wasted a lot more than just two months of our collective time by running around and throwing gold at the regular options. Surely even someone as conservative as you can see that there might be some merit in trying something else?”

“Your parents have been gone for 13 years, Elias. We’ve discussed this. Either they’re alive and out there still, and therefore leaving a trail of breadcrumbs. Or—”

“Or they’re alive, and are universal champions at ‘hide and see’, I know,” Elias yawned. “I still don’t understand how ‘ownership of insane weaponry equals amazing survival skills’. I also don’t want to know where you learnt math.”

“Magical weapons plus insane carpentry skills equals amazing survival skills,” Daford corrected. “Plus, I don’t want them to come back and find out that their good friend Daford Roze kept their son safe, but let their daughter run off on her own. That probably won’t look too good.”

“Casimira can take care of herself. She always pulled me out of trouble when we were kids.”

“Your Elder Sibling worship is commendable, considering she was the one that usually got you into trouble in the first place. And that you haven’t seen her for nearly 12 years.”

“Well I guess that’s what happens when one of your parents’ good friends doesn’t keep an eye on the rebellious child, yeah?”

“The least she could’ve done was left a note,” Daford grumbled. ”And I’m not sure how good a friend they consider me, since they apparently expected me to babysit their kids and never told me they were moonlighting as… hitmen, or whatever they actually do.”

The pair approached the town gate. Daford nodded at the guard who let them through the gate, and they trekked in, their shadows stretched by along the ground. The sun had almost set now, its last light sending a crimson flare across the clouds and the horizon. A steady stream of villagers was gathering near the town’s singular tavern; raucous shouts and hearty laughter could already be heard from the patrons within. Daford and Elias trailed behind the final few; an older gentleman in a wide-brimmed hat and a couple of young women discussing wood working.

Elias made to follow them in, but Daford put a hand on his shoulder. “Hang on, we’re not done.”

“Can’t we finish this at the table?” Elias asked, placing a hand on his stomach. “I didn’t skipped out on lunch, because… well. Annette.”

“You know I prefer to get all the serious talk done away from the dinner table. I’m almost done with you, anyway, since… Well, I guess I have to admit that you do have a point.”

Elias raised an eyebrow. “And what would that happen to be?”
Daford conceding a point was rare occasion, like a lost memento back from the beyond.

Daford was silent for a while, staring unblinkingly at Elias’ chest. The pressure from Daford’s hand increased and for a few tense moments, Elias thought the older man was having a stroke. Then Daford looked up, and met his gaze and gave a toothy grin. “Well… Let’s just say I agree with you. And it’s an excuse to have to not scale the Amberworth’s wall, but mainly because I agree with you. In part, at least.”

“... Only in part?”

“A big part,” he insisted.

Elias returned the smile, thoroughly relieved that he'd won the stubborn red of man over and that he wouldn’t have to scream for the village’s healer. “But which part?”

“Well, it involves more maths. If I’m add it all up properly, then at the rate that you’ve convert gold into proper answers and useful information, and when you put that over the number of questions you undoubtedly want answered, then by my calculations… we’d all long dead and forgotten by the time the Iivonen mystery was solved,” Daford chuckled.

“I think this might be the first time your maths has been correct, Daford,” Elias said, a smile beginning to form.

Daford snorted. “Nonsense, my maths is always correct. Well, almost anyway. So how’re we getting to Brin?”

“Bren. Uh, what about Annette?”

“Don’t worry about Annette. She’ll see reason when she hears what I think. I’m a persuasive guy, after all.”

“But it’s Annette?”

“It’ll be fine!” he insisted. “She’s the only one that hasn’t agreed to going, right? Majority of the group is for it anyway, and she’s a fair woman.”

“I’m not sure we’re talking about the same Annette,” Elias said, confused. He was honestly unsure who Daford was trying to convince at this stage. The older man was beginning to sound as unsure as Elias felt. Maybe senility was catching up with him.

“I’ll wear a helmet, it’ll be fine! So hurry up and tell me when how we’re getting to your Championship before I lose my nerve. Lords, that woman is scary when she’s annoyed.”

She’s always annoyed.

“The Championship starts in the middle of next week, so we only have one real op-”

“Are we flying?” Daford interjected, losing what little composure he had left. “Please don’t say flying.”

“Well, there’s not really any other choice. I mean, do you know have any clue how far away Bren is? You won’t find it on a regional map, that’s for sure” Elias explained, clearly amused.

Daford said nothing. And then he cursed, and pushed the door open into the hubbub. Elias laughed, and followed him in.

“No, I’m sorry. After what I’ve heard about the Championships, your parents would probably kill me if they knew what I’m letting you enter.”

“Are we heading back then? Sightseeing over?”

“Wait, now you’ve changed your mind? You were the one who convinced me to come along to this, old man!”

“Daford…”

The shouts of merchants and bustle of the crowd drowned out the arguments from most of the group, while Daford merely raised his arms in an effort to calm them down. Not that any of the citizens of Bren cared that a rag-tag group of foreigners were bickering outside the Arena complex.

After all, the Championship was about to get underway.

The group of companions had arrived just a mere day earlier due to a few setbacks.
The first and most obvious problem had been Annette. Either convincing Annette had been as difficult as Elias had thought, or Daford wasn’t as persuasive as Daford himself had thought. Regardless of the reason, the tall-in-stature, but short-in-temper cleric had finally given in after another two days of hurling both verbal abuse and her tome at Daford and Elias. Though to be completely truthful, it had been the diminutive Tylia that had gotten through to her after a single attempt.

The second major obstacle was getting to Bren. A single day’s journey had been sufficient to take them to the nearest city with a dock. Boarding fees were generally quite cheap at this time of year in the region that they had been in, but the main issue was finding an airship that was fast enough to reach Bren before the Championships started, and also heading in the same direction as Bren.

Not a single ship in the city had been suitable. Most were heading in the wrong direction or just not as far up. The few that had been going in that direction were either too slow or, in Elias’ opinion, unfit for a single person, nevermind half a dozen.

He’d just been about to give up hope of reaching the fabled tournament when Daford found a suitable vessel on their second day in the city. Or more precisely, he’d found the captain of such a vessel — a white-haired fellow who wore red glasses, a scarf around his face, and an heavy aura of self importance. Daford paid him an extraordinary sum of gold and the man welcomed the aboard after reciting an extensive list of do’s-and-don’ts. “Just don’t say I never do any favors for you, kid. Now you might have to do me a few, and buy me meals for the next few months,” Daford told him, as they boarded the ship. ”Oh, and please find me a sick bag.”

The trip to Bren had been a fast one. A very fast one. Much faster than he had expected. Elias had been expecting a three day journey at least, but the sleek, black vessel they had embarked on had managed the trip in a single night.

“I thought Bren was far? How’d you manage a single night?” he’d asked the captain as they disembarked.

“It is. Extraordinarily far, actually. But the price was right, my ship is fast and the crew is just that good,” he’d replied, turning and high fiving a crew member.

Elias hadn’t liked him very much.

After arriving in Bren, Elias had signed up for the tournament and the group had then spent the next few days wandering around the city, taking in the sights; watching the repairs being carried out and all of the oddities within the town. Nothing unusual had happened, though Annette had nearly gotten into a fight with what appeared to be a giant, sentient avocado.
Those last few days had gone by rapidly; the past week had practically vanished at the snap of a finger.

And then the day had come. The morning of the tournament. Elias had gotten out of bed, dressed, brushed his teeth and gone to breakfast. After a hearty meal of porridge with cranberries, the group had gone to the Arena complex to see Elias off and throw some last minute encouragement, advice and jibes when Daford had gotten second thoughts.

Which had then them to their current impasse.

“Daford. Explain. Now, before I ram my tome right into your—” Annette shook the leather-bound volume in front of his face. The spellbook was a watermelon-sized monstrosity that most of the crew unintentionally used for dodge practice.

“Okay, just… calm down, Annette. Please.” The older man sighed. “I was just in a bar last night, meeting some of the locals and seeing if I could suss up some hints for Elias tomorrow.”

“Was one of the hints something along the lines of ‘you can’t get hurt if you don’t enter’, or something stupid like that, old man?” The auburn-haired cleric growled from between gritted teeth.

“Well no, but I heard stories about the previous games and I thought… Well.” Daford sighed again, and turned to Elias.

“Listen, Elias. One of the other reasons I decided to let you have a run at the tournament was I felt I owed it to your parents to at least help their little boy achieve his dreams.”

“I’m 25 years-old, Daford.” Elias bluntly pointed out.

“You’re still pretty young though. And little ain’t putting it that far off the mark.”

“Hey, I resent that!” Tylia piped up. Elias looked down and smiled at her, catching the mage’s eye and earning himself a wink in return.

Daford continued, ignoring the interruptions. “Some of the stories I heard didn’t exactly sound… pleasant. Apparently a couple of years ago, an armored tundra bear tore a hole through one of the other competitors. Last year, somebody was split in half by an angry orc, or something. I don’t know the exact details, but the horror stories don’t sound pleasant.

“Horror stories aren’t meant to be pleasant. That’s the point of a horror story,” Tylia countered. ”Plus I’ve been doing a bit of digging myself. Apparently most of the participants survive? I’m sure Elias will come back to us in relatively one piece; hopefully complete enough for Annette to heal at least.”

Annette punched her tome in emphasis whilst continuing to glare at Daford.

“Tylia has a point as usual. Plus a bear doesn’t sound too bad. I’ve fought monsters, people and even monsters wielding people before,” Elias reminded.
“You’re definitely making the last one up,” Tylia remarked.

“Well okay, maybe not people. But I fought that one guy with a chainblade. Surely that’s as dangerous as an armored bear?”

“That bear went on to be a dual-victor that year, Elias,” Daford said exasperatedly.

“I promise to stay away from bears then. Come on, Daford, it’s almost time to enter. If I’m late they might even send a bear after me.”

“I don’t really think so,” Daford doubted.

“I’ll make like a bear and tear your arms off if you don’t let him go compete, old man,” Annette threatened.

Daford was respond to her when a deep, baritone spoke.

“Just let the boy go, Roze.”

The voice had come from Reuben, their resident swordsman. Usually seen but not heard, the gargantuan man only usually spoke when he had something of worth to say. Elias smiled at him in appreciation.

Daford groaned. “I’m clearly outnumbered here, aren’t I?”

“Yes,” everyone else practically shouted, save Reuben who had gone back to silently leaning against the wall.

Daford was silent once again, then took a deep breath before speaking once more.
“Fine, then. Sure, go on ahead Elias. We’ll be right behind you. Metaphorically, at least.”

Elias made to go, but a dark hand on his shoulder stopped him.

“But stay the hell away from any bears or any of the… weirder looking ones. It’d probably reflect poorly on me if you got your lungs punched out or your skin flayed off by any psychopath that got ahold of you.”

The soon-to-be Wind entrant rolled his eyes, and pushed his way into the crowd surging into the Arena, his companions and their well-wishes trailing behind him.

Though Elias had wanted to abide by Daford’s wishes for the his own well-being and the older man’s peace of mind, he soon found that promise broken. For it was effectively a bipedal bear in a uniform that led him to his Arena entrance.

The entire ensemble that greeted him was exciting, to say the least. The fog, the glowing door and the name; Twilight Arena. All of those together added on to both Elias’ excitement and his nerves.
There was no denying that he was nervous, though about half of the nerves was because of the atmosphere and the other half was due to the enormity of the event. Elias had only fought in one gladiatorial deathmatch before, and he hadn’t been a willing participant on that occasion. There was also the whole magical feel about the event.

Magic was a common occurence back where Elias and his friends came from, but that didn’t mean there that weren't those without it or who shunned it. Daford was one of the latter, though as to why, Elias had never bothered to find out. He had a feeling that magic just creeped out the older man, but as tough as he might act at times, there were certainly plenty of things that creeped Daford Roze.

There was a blinding flash and Elias shut his eyes. When his vision was clear again, a few strands of mist lay where the door once was. The tendrils seemed to reach for him as Elias strode into the Arena and stood in front of his entrance, his boots squelching into the turf. Right, this is a bit more uh.. Fancier than the other gladiator pit…

The stands for the spectators loomed ahead, mostly hidden by the mists that filled the Arena. Daford, Tylia, Annette and Reuben were all probably there, unless Daford was leading. His ability to follow directions was probably on equal footing with his maths skills; which was to say, as steady and reliable as a person born without knees.

Elias looked around at the competitors around him. To his right, a figure with a coat and a face that appeared flat in the moonlight. A mask, or magical surgery perhaps.
Elias glanced briefly down at his goggles, then back up at the masked man.
Weirdo number one.

He then looked to his left, to see the robed figure with a… Was that an animal skull? Goat? A deer?

A tall lanky figure in robes with a deer skull on his head. Ok, crazy psychopath detected.

What did his mother used to say?
Never accept candy from strangers.

And what did Daford say on the airship flight?
If you’re up against a cultist, the best way to get them angry is to insult their god or their imaginary friend. Whatever it is they worship.

Was that thing even human, though? If it wasn’t, then hopefully Elias wouldn’t have to-

A menacing voice called out, signalling the start of the contest. The words went in one way through Elias mind, and then straight out the other as his natural instincts quickly went to work.

Drawing his blade in his left hand and the handcannon in his right, Elias then raised his right foot slightly and thrust it down, giving the air a slight shunt. The air rushed out into the floor and fanned out, though the fog around his ankles moved very little. Or a lot less than he had expected or wanted, at least.
So that’s not going to work without some effort.

He looked around him, watching as the other competitors around him… did very little. Then movement, as the skull-wearing figure began stalking forward. Another figure from the otherside came towards the center to meet him; a large figure that was somewhat obscured by shadows—that might be a problem later—and that rivalled Reuben in height and stature.

A glance to his right, and the flat-faced man was being rushed by a rather scarred blue woman.
... Like a really ugly elf-smurf half-breed?

Elias quashed down the distracting (and incredibly rude) thoughts as a monstrosity of bone in the shape of a wolf materialized before him, lunging at the cultist’s foe. Or not a cultist, but more of a necromancer? Regardless of what it was, it was something to stay clear of for now. Hopefully his foe put up enough of a fight so that a summoned bone minion army didn’t just flatten all of the foes in the Arena.

Everything around him was happening really fast, but Elias was sure he was faster still.
Staying still and letting the fight come to him had never been his style, and he wasn’t going to change that now. He’d never understood that anyway; being on the backfoot just didn’t seem like an especially good tactic, nor was it very fun. If you fought a lot on the job, then why not get some fun out of it?

Elias raised his right arm and took aim at the chest of the masked competitor to his right. The voice had mentioned ‘valor’, but it had never said anything about ‘honor’. An uneven 1v1 to start off the battle seemed fitting.
His left hand came up, bracing the back of the gun with the flat of the blade’s handle and he pulled the trigger.

A loud crackle filled the air, and, the handcannon bucked, and then the discharge was on its way. Elias lowered the gun and sheathed it with a click, and then he strode forward, heading for the currently empty ground between the two fights.
Well. It's back to work I guess.
AQW Epic  Post #: 13
7/21/2018 16:21:15   
nield
Creative!

Ineria saw the paladin-worshipper seem to steady himself, seemingly not even noticing her dagger and she allowed the briefest smirk, which disappeared the instant the dagger harmlessly rebounded off the man’s clothing. Oh… her train of thought was derailed there. Her left foot found purchase on the ground, as her right lifted off, and then her shield touched the masked man’s clothing, and in an instant, momentum reversed itself.

Her right foot drove into the ground as the rest of her body moved back. Her left foot raised off the ground, that whole leg flailing uselessly as she sought to arrest her momentum, to no avail, as she continued backwards, before her right foot raised off the ground again and she landed flat on her back. After a half-second’s winded daze, her mind restarted, whipping her legs up into a curling position as she covered herself with her shield.

That… That was bad. Use your anger, don’t let it control you. It was at that moment she realised she had let go of her mace in surprise when she rebounded off the masked man and she swore. Looking for it was no point she knew, but also she knew it would have gone sailing at speed towards the monk. Her legs were shaky beneath her and it would take a few moments more to steady herself enough to raise to her feet, so she peered over the edge of her shield at the man before her, ready to intercept whatever counterattack he launched.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 14
7/21/2018 19:59:01   
Ultrapowerpie

Where there was once deathly quiet on the battlefield... well things just got all rowdy mighty quickly, didn't it? Quite a big ruckus everyone was making. The witch girl had gotten tangled up with two others. One of them was a... horned figured, with the ability to spawn some sort of... bone wolf puppet thing. Great, some sort of odd necromancer, or bizarre puppeteer... ehh, I've seen worse. Far worse. Like that one traveling sideshow with the marionettes... THAT thing was just wrong. Especially that soul stealing bit. Nasty stuff. The other contestant was.... some sort of nutter with wires and disks. Wires AND disks? Working in conjunction at once? No self respecting telekinetic would use wires like that, the disks alone are deadly. Ferromancy's unlikely, the ability wouldn't need wires to power the discs... I suppose it could be that, but doubtful. Most likely it's going to be some odd form of magnetism, only reason to explain cables. With my luck it'll be a second energy user in this arena... assuming the bruja was also one. He hadn't really deduced that yet, though he swore he had saw some sort of flash in her hand...

The other fight was between... a battle scarred blueish elf that the term "onery" seemed to fit quite well. That one was going up against a masked drum major. Clearly a member of a band of some sort, except there was no instrument there at all and... deflected it with some sort of blast. I swear that insignia is some sort of weird Paladin thing I've seen once... That's lovely... oh look there's a mace flying towards the monk...

And then he saw it. Walking through the middle of the two brawls was some punk with a handcannon. Some low life, desperado walking into the arena thinking he's using guns in here, but it WASN'T a gun, was the worst part. He knew the sound and smell of gunpowder, and that thing did NOT have either. I cannot STAND punks who think they're high off the hog cuz they got some fancy piece they can't even use properly. The Fog can wait, this hombre is going down.

Until now, there had been no P.O.D.S. loaded into C.H.U.C.K. yet in order for Silas to load up whatever he needed at a moment's notice, and it was just for this occasion that Silas popped out form his P.O.D.S. belt one of his favorite flavors, the Slippery Soap. Silas always wanted to know what his opponents could do before actually getting serious with them, and the best way to do that was to make the field a great big greasey deathtrap. Heck, the field was already wet thanks to the fog, this soup would simply just add enough to it to make it a big ol' slip'n slide.

Setting the spray for maximum width and range to cover as much of the field as possible, Silas let loose a healthy round of soup spray on the entire battle field (that he could cover anyways), centering the spray on the poser walking between the two fights. He wasn't sure how much of the other two fights this would impact, but the city-slicker would be in the middle of a giant slippery field. The soup itself wouldn't do anything really unless it somehow got into someone's eyes, as it was merely warm.

First round's on the field.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 15
7/21/2018 20:12:26   
brotherinlaw

As the mace flew towards me, over a century of martial arts training caused a plan to flow into my head. As my father once told me, "be evasive and on the defense, then, when your opponent shows their first mistake, strike their weakest point as fast and efficiently as possible."

I began acting in quick succession. My summons received their first orders. For the first, Claw, causing it to rush the paladin. The second, collide, was to smash into the paladin, but it's path would first intercept the mace. Hopefully, after he was distracted by the first spirit, the paladin would find himself hit by a large mace and a second spirit, who would then dissipate into a mind-numbing cloud. The third received no orders, instead following me as I move in on my target and throw my dart, aiming for the weak spot in between his chest plate and pauldron, his armpit. With my momentum added to the dart's, The strike should occur right after the spirit dissipates, and I should be able to get close enough to gather the smoke to me and summon two more, assuming my opponent falls.

I'd like to say I had planned ahead, for if my opponent didn't fall, or if the two other combatants decided to decline my olive branch and, instead of accepting a temporary partnership against the others, strike at me instead. However, combat is not so clean that you can just plan for any contingency. You act as quickly and judiciously as possible, and you work from there.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 16
7/22/2018 12:41:06   
Starstruck

"Hey, wait!"

There was no time to stop.

Back.

The towering figure in front of him whirled its cloak - It, for Vir was suddenly very sure that this thing was some kind of ossified monstrosity. Bones whirled and flew, and a shape took form.

Forth.

Long-dead jaws snapped and snarled. Were they scavenged from some moldy old corpse, or forcefully assimilated into the macabre parade? No time to guess. It rushed him down, mimicking its master's movements as it leapt for Vir's bare leg.

BACK.

Momentum made a liar out of him. He came to a dead stop, discs threatening to rip him clean in two from the yank on his belt. In front of him, the amalgam's jaws snapped at air, teeth scraping and sinew twisting. Vir thanked the Energy Lord no flesh lay in between. Dead eyes with empty sockets. An emerald flash behind. A puppet, and nothing more.

"Come and get it, you bony son of a Sneevil," he hissed through a gritted grin.

FORTH.

There was no time to be startled, but the roaring of water nearly interrupted Vir's concentration. He'd forgotten about the other fighters. No matter! Iron would fix the grave-robber, and then other matters could be attended to. The discs lashed out almost of their own accord, kicking the whelp smartly between the eyes, sending it airborne. The puppet collapsed unnaturally, losing its shape as it was launched back towards its horrific master.

Vir pulled the cables confidently with lean arms, watching the calcified construction fly. As the heavy iron discs swung out in front of him, robbed slightly of momentum from the hit they'd delivered, Vir readied for his next strike. With a confident smirk, he leapt forward, abusing his momentum to close the gap somewhat. The discs swung almost lazily. Back, around, overhead, aimed at the big convenient target the bone man had provided for him: A deer skull, jaundiced and leather-bound, where its head ought to be.

He couldn't wait to hear that satisfying clang.
DF MQ  Post #: 17
7/22/2018 21:49:23   
TormentedDragon

Teeth strike, but close on nothing; a streak of white splits the darkened runner’s face, a mouth spouting nonsense marked in flashing flecks of red. Wolf bones growl as the Fool rises, hands twisting at strings to prepare the second leap; but silver strikes, a battering of bone by unrelenting metal. They grunt, and heave, boot sliding back on silk-smooth grass, weaving wire to call the bones home or leave them where they lie.

Green eyes track the darkling’s silver sentinels, a keening trail of danger guided by shimmering cords of light. The guardian hisses, a warning of impending doom; they pitch forward, right arm sweeping down with one clenched fist as they duck into their crouch. Silver screams above their head, metal’s edge skimming sable leather, the breath of its passage pricking needles on their neck.

Wires strain, and robe billows, fabric sliding ‘cross the rounded hull of safety, a mottle shell that scrapes across silver’s second streak. “Nay death!” wheezes the weedy one, and left heaves as well, wires whipping the heavy shell at the leaping darkling.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 18
7/23/2018 19:06:39   
roseleaf320
Creative!

“Who are you writing to?”

“You wouldn’t know them.”

“How do you know that?”

“It doesn’t matter, and it’s none of your business anyways.”

“Is it my parents?”

“Why would it matter if it was your parents?”

“I just… didn’t know if they would ask how I was doing.”

“What makes you think they would bother with that?”

“Well… they’re my parents.”

“Wow, they’re the people that pushed you out into this crooked world. How wonderful of them.”

“But that means they care about me.”

“They don’t give a damn about you, kid. They tossed you onto me because they couldn’t be bothered to take care of you themselves.”

“That’s not true! They had me, they have a good reason for sending me here!”

“You’re blind, you can barely do anything. You can’t even read and write. How good is a kid like that? And frankly I don’t even think they wanted you before they figured that out.”

“How do YOU know what they wanted!”

“Because I’m an adult. Now go back outside and finish piling up the wood.”

“But it’s really heavy, I can’t-“

“Do I need to ask twice?”

“...no, sir.”

The sight of Glowy Man smashing the wolf puppet to pieces caused Bei more grief than she’d like to admit.

As he wound up for another jump, Bei realized this was her chance to make herself known to the two combatants. Reaching inside her bag, she pulled out a dense metal ball, barely the size of a copper piece. Bei held it between her left thumb and first two fingers, and, flicking her wrist to give it a spin, launched it at the small of the man’s back. Just before it left her fingertips, it drained a small amount of heat from them, and Bei could feel it crackle with electricity.

At the edge of her focus, she saw the puppet master brace himself with some kind of shield as the metal disks swirled closer and closer, brushing him enough that Bei could feel the ever-so-slight heat transfer between the cloak and the metal. She kept her focus on the ball, expecting it to strike the small of Glowy’s back, most likely causing enough of a reaction for him to halt his attack but not enough to really hurt him.

Instead, the ball began curving upwards, almost unnaturally, and struck the man right on the back of his head.

Why am I acting like this? This is a fight to the death, who cares about some stupid puppet. I have to show my lord that I’m better than this other energy guy. I need to start actually taking this seriously. I could die here. And I’m NOT a child anymore. I have to show them that.

Anyways. Magnetism! That’s what he’s got around him! That’s why the metal ball moved, and why my vision’s all screwy around him. Yes, magnetism actually can alter the flow of heat, it’s even been able to reverse it, make it flow from a cold area to a hot area. That just feels unnatural but it can happen. Bei’s fun fact of the day! I hope that ball doesn’t hurt him too much though, ouch. No hard feelings, dude! I’m still up for some Mac after this!

Post #: 19
7/23/2018 22:52:18   
Sanctus

The officer, the god, and the boy had little in common and spoke not of what bound them. Instead they tell each other stories, and the pawn is an excellent actor to the delight of them all. Fraught as battle may be, the officer was a rallier for his men, whether they be children or omnipotent or both. As the Illistran-shaped wall grew closer, the officer recounted thusly:

“Soldiers try to forget war. Scholars make sure everything that needs to be forgotten is written down. Kings forget so well that the soldiers remember. The scholars write that down too. The other players are the memories, but everyone seems to forget the rules, except for one. That there must be kings. So all the pieces do their best to become kings and see whether they can remember by doing everything over again, which they claim isn’t the same as forgetting. After all, they say, if you just look over there you’ll notice that this time I used different blood. The other pieces nod in agreement, and even make sure to check after the guillotine comes down, but so far nobody seems to have figured out what the difference was. Many of the pieces that want to be kings suspect it has to do with the angle, and eventually try it out themselves.”

The god nodded sagely as he repressed a chuckle.

The boy could not, and his merriment filled the pawn to burst, even though he did not quite get the joke.

Once the shield neared the stairwell, the pawn thought it must look very similar to what the kings saw, albeit flatter and sharper, and of course behind him, much like the dagger before it. He wondered why war was something those soldiers said was nothing but blunt cruelty and violence, since the shield was, that is to say was in the past, quite beautiful, perhaps even illustrious. What strange irony indeed, for war to make a thing of beauty less so, yet nonetheless remind us of such allure. Is all ugliness a casualty?

At this, the shield arrived, and while the world had promised a grand clash, where solid steel met bone, where the body took unnatural form, where agonized screams shattered the ephemeral silence, there was nothing. The order upended, as did the Illistrian, cast backward, in both distance and pride.

But the world was not so easily cheated. Unearthly screeches, the sound brought to the mind’s ear by their visage alone, followed by the windy spirits themselves as they approached the pawn.

If only it would leave me be, said the boy.

And so it will, said the god.

And the officer strode toward the Illistrian, closer so that they could be farther, welcoming the spirits even as he refused them.

The rook beckoned forth his towers, their castle doors slamming shut, power reverberating outward. The last order was force and the purity of its damning weight struck his foes.

A mace clattered to the floor.

But this disruption was not final. In the wake of the rook, Sanctus prayed. As most prayers go it was born of a story and a wish.

“I hope you find the angle enlightening dear Illistrian.” said the king as he turned his back to the winds and its giver. Suddenly the air blurred around him, the effect aided by the dim light and fog, hiding him from sight.
Post #: 20
7/24/2018 9:09:28   
Kooroo

To be frank, Elias’ gunmanship needed practice. His accuracy with the handgun was about average at best, and he was well aware of it. Personally, he didn’t think his accuracy was that bad, but it wasn’t something that his friends—nor Elias himself, for that matter—were willing to stake their lives on.

Annette had probably put it the most aptly. “If I had to leave my life up to either your shooting skills or Reuben’s public speaking, then I’d probably be helping usher in the audience,” she’d told him once.

Elias had thought that’d been fair. Reuben was a very succinct speaker.

If accuracy wasn’t an issue, however, then there was usually the slightest of chances that range was going to be an issue. As had been the case, by the looks of it.
When Elias had fired off the shot at the flat-faced man, he’d been sure that he was going to hit. Missing a shot was one thing, but missing a shot on a stationary target under zero pressure? Hopefully not.

So when his target had remained perfectly still and his coat hadn’t even ruffled slightly to a passing breeze, Elias had grimaced and reddened at the cheeks ever so slightly.
Typical, that was.
The others, if they’d been paying attention, were not going to let that one down anytime soon. Daford especially, considering that the older man’s main modus operandi usually involved either a great axe, a hunting rifle or an inordinate amount of talking.

Considering his attack hadn’t done anything, Elias quickly decided to follow up in a more effective manner.
Satisfaction guaranteed. Probably.
A quick glance over his left to make sure that the boneheaded necrothing and his opponent were still where he thought they were—yup, not behind him—and then he looked back, just in time watch the smurf-y elf go hurtling away from the masked man.

As Elias turned and began to walk faster towards the pair, he felt something enter the air above him. Many in number, small in size, fast… droplets? Rain?

He looked up as he took a step, watching as a cascade of thick, warm and unnaturally heavy droplets fell on to him and the ground around him, looking down to stop whatever it was from getting into his eyes. He skimmed the arena, looking for the stuff’s source. The source was… there. On the other side of the Arena, a man with a hat, spraying a light curtain of the thick liquid into the air. Elias took another step forward, applying pressure as he got ready to run and then his boot lost its grip, and he flew forward, hurtling towards the grass.

... Excuse me?

Sleeping on the job and slipping on the job—whilst completely different things—were both completely unheard of for Elias. It wasn’t something he’d experienced before, even on ice. While his mind processed what had happened, his instincts reacted faster and immediately flung out his free hand. His palm caught the air, and as the ground rushed up to meet him, and Elias pushed down hard, and across his body.

His direction shifted, and he rolled on to his side instead of flopping on to his stomach. Elias continued the roll, coming up in a low crouch with one knee and half of the other foot on the sodden ground. The young man looked slightly annoyed, which was fitting as he certainly felt quite annoyed. The top of his head had gotten wet in that roll, and a good amount of soapy... thick, sticky liquid had soaked through and gone down the back of his top and the band of his trousers. Which was really, really uncomfortable and Elias didn’t want to imagine what the stuff actually looked like in proper daylight. At least it wasn't cold.

He made to get up, one boot finding purchase on the ground, and then as he got up on the other foot, the front-half gripped for a moment... and just a moment, before it slipped as Elias put his weight into it. He cursed as he fell forward and rolled again, but this time he was ready and used a forearm to direct his roll.

This time he finished in a kneel, and when he put his weight on to his forward foot, he didn’t slip. Apparently the soapy slick had only been in the immediate area around him, and his boots had refused to adhere to the troublesome stuff. It was rare for his boots to ever have issues with a surface, and it wasn’t an experience he wanted again for a few more years.

Elias slowly stood to a half-crouch, swapping his blade to his right hand as he shot a glare across the field at the perpetrator. There would be some stern words for that one at the very least. Not right now, though, as Elias had no particular intention of rushing the man from a distance with a range disadvantage. But after his horrific display of gunmanship earlier, he did not need any more help adding to his highlight reel. Some help hiding his face from the public eye or his friends for the next fortnight or so would be more appropriate and better appreciated, honestly.

Speaking of hidden faces.

Where was that masked one? He should’ve been right in front, but all that was there was… Elias frowned slightly as he looked around, spotting the battered blueberry elf cowering behind her shield, and a ways behind her, a… monk. Well that could be fun. Monks were usually fun.

The masked one, though. He wasn’t quite there, though Elias could’ve sworn he had been and should’ve been. There was a strange, blurring effect right in front of Elias, where the fellow probably was, but that didn’t mean he was actually there.
Misdirection and all that; a close friend of all illusionists. Around for tea every other day.
Elias squinted. It was like… a heat haze, only worse and without the heat. When outlined in the moon’s light, it was more like a… There was a time and place for similes, and this wasn’t a certainly wasn’t a good time.

A field trick, though. Now was probably the right moment for one of those; the one to search through stubbornly obstinate arcane smoke specifically. Reaching out with his left hand, the young blade-for-hire made to touch and grab the air within the center of the distortion before him… Only to find that he couldn’t. There wasn’t any air in it.

Ah. Gotcha.

Elias sprang, rushing towards the ethereal deformity at a terrifying speed. A few steps forward and he was practically there; the soapy ordeal having done little for his comfort but plenty for his positioning. Maybe this’ll ruffle his coat a bit.

A shunt on that last step before the end, increasing speed, momentum and force. His right hand tight, his left arm balancing.
Elias drew the blade back to his hip, and as he lunged, drove it before him, aiming for the epicenter of the haze.
AQW Epic  Post #: 21
7/24/2018 10:06:41   
nield
Creative!

The masked dastard walked towards her and she readied for his assault, only for him to stop a short way away. Then force slammed into her shield and she was pushed backwards across the grass, a few metres at least and at most and then he spoke to her, and her mind sputtered, backed up and stopped. “I hope you find the angle enlightening dear Illistrian.”

A second’s stunned halt, all the world seemed frozen, then her mind roared back to life. WHAT!? How does he know I’m an Illistrian?! That’s… I’m the first to have even left Illistria in at least the past hundred years! How could he… focus regained in her mind, the paladin-worshipper’s quip having, at least temporarily, dispelled the anger within her. He… He’s got to be old, under that mask. Rather remarkably old. But how still does he recognise me…? Ah, not me. No other Illistrian would even recognise me to be such, not with skin this dark. But did I not emblaze the symbol of my people on my shield? That is how he knows, that is what he recognises.

Her mind then rewound, examining the ethereal spectres that had flown past and over her at the man before. Ghosts, of some ilk… from the monk? Then a monk he is not and two necromancers step foot in this Arena. Reverie done, she looked up, but the masked deviant had vanished and her eyes narrowed. where does he seek to flee? She made to stand up, and found, much to her surprise, her hand had found the grip of her mace. Taking hold, she used it to steady and rise.

Narrow-eyed, she searched. Her eyes alighted first and foremost ‘pon the man beyond where the other had been, taking in his form. Has he switched shapes? No… this would be one of those I could not see at the start. And he is also searching. and then he rushed forward, in her direction but not at her. She followed his path and saw it, a ghost in the fog, a blur that hurt her only eye. The masked man must be hiding there. Seeking to hide away from those who seek to harm him, a coward. Should I ever have expected any less from one who reveres a paladin?

She re-strapped her mace to her leg and drew another dagger, turning as she did to regard the fake monk. He had launched his own attacks at the masked man, and she puzzled for the why. Does he mistake the man to be a paladin himself, with that symbol on his cap? Aye the possibility is there. Thus he makes a useful pawn for now, if he does not turn on me. And when the worshipper is down, I will end him for his vile practices. She turned back further around, back to the haze, as the man beyond was just reaching it. She launched her dagger, not at the haze, but to its left, ready to intercept a dodge attempt.

The dagger launched, she drew her sword and made to advance - slowly this time - forward. But as her left foot left the ground, pain shot through the right and she cried out, as it threatened to buckle. Steadying herself, both feet back on the ground she cursed. Three paladins and a fire mage… I injured my leg when I bounced off that thrice accursed dastard. A few quick tests showed the leg would not be able to support her whole weight by itself, so she began limping, readjusting her positioning so that she could intercept the necromancer if he, sensing her weakened state attacked. Hmph, dare I jest myself. Scum like him? It’s not IF he attacks me when I’m like this, it is when.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 22
7/25/2018 20:32:27   
Ultrapowerpie

Silas was by definition, a gruff person. He may have been thirty, but he'd seen enough out on the range to last a lifetime. This being said, he did have a wily sense of humor, and was always a fan of "slap-stick" comedy (He wasn't sure if that was the proper name, but he did know it involved slapping people with sticks, at the least). So the shenanigans of the failed gunman slipping and tumbling brought a smile to his face, and even a light chuckle. That'll teach the varmint from displaying poor gunmanship in a life or death stakes. If any of the boys in the posse'd seen that they'd have shoot the bugger dead on sight. Hopefully that'll dissuade him from...

As Silas watched, still smirking as he saw the desperado glaring at him, he saw him darting at high speeds off towards the fight on his left, towards the paladin and the rest there. He also noted that the monk had decided to head into that direction as well due to a mace incident. This left Silas jarringly out in the middle of nowhere while two brawls were going on. While the actual prize of the match didn't particularly interest him, as he had dealt with a djinni back a few years ago. It did not end well, especially since he had ask Travis to get him a... well the only thing known to man to outwit a 50,000 year old djinni. Fortunately the bill was on Travis as it was Travis' lead to get the bottle... It's a long story that at least made itself whole.

The speedy amigo and monk off to the paladin, there's one fight that involves half... Only fair to get involved in the other brawl. Also it'd make a decent cover up in case the speedster wanted to get revenge at some point. The only downside to this plan was the fact that after what he had seen from that fight, at least one of the competitors was energy, the wire disc guy. He thought he had seen some sort of ball being released by the small girl towards the former, which confirmed his original theory that his luck had put him in with two energy users in the same arena. The other thing in that brawl was the horned... oh, no, there was NO horns there. Clearly a fog mirage. The arena would pay for it's insolence. Regardless, the bizarre deer-skulled puppeteer was the only one who was not an elemental threat.

Guess the only way to settle this is to continue the chain reaction. If the puppeteer and wires are at each other, and the bruja is attacking wires, who was attacking her? No one at the moment, he thought. The big issue of course, would be that if she was an energy user, she could most likely zap, as was the case. Fortunately, water was a two way street, and being wet was a two way street when it came to electricity. And more importantly, wearing something that ill suited for combat would be a perfect chance to try out one of the more exotic brews.

Silas checked his console and noticed a... magenta light? He thought it was magenta. Whatever color it was, it was definitely blinking, and based on it's position, it meant that he wasn't going to be able to use the longish range wide spread trick he did before was out. Too much pressure on the nozzle and pipes at that. He could still use the rest of C.H.U.C.K. just fine within operating parameters, but that move was out.

Walking around the outside of the arena counterclockwise, Silas set up himself in position, taking advantage of the chaos going on in the arena and the fact that no one had really noticed him up to this point. Keeping an eye on things , Silas injected a new P.O.D. into the system, this time the coldest one in his aresenal, the Brrrr Brrrr Borscht. Unlike his standard stock of PODS, this was one of the special brews. As such, he only had a few of these PODS on him, so he had to use them sparingly. Still, this particular situation called for the usage of such a brew, as a shivering opponent was far less likely to be able to launch a lightning counter attack effectively.

Focusing the nozzle back to it's normal spray width, Silas aimed at the young bruja, and fired a powerful jet of water at her. Very very veyr cold water. Well I mean, it was part of the point. However, instead of using the C.H.U.Ck.K to spray consistently and possibly try to knock her over, the spurt was only for 5 seconds. 5 seconds of high pressure water barreling right at her. Yes it could possibly knock her over if she was completely off guard and it managed to hit her square on. Most likely it would drench her completely in cold cold cold cold soup. Sometimes, soup is best served cold. Only under specific conditions, but it is true.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 23
7/25/2018 20:49:38   
brotherinlaw

I was quick to stop myself upon sensing the explosion, but shouldn't have. I was far enough behind that I could have missed the explosion and hit true. I nstead, I stopped and yanked the dart back to me, while I observed the spirits fly. It was almost comical, the way the flew and landed with a spineless splat, before they renewed the attack regardless of my need to regroup.

As I took in my bearings, I noticed the Illistrian woman giving me the evil eye, as my mother called it. I had heard that her people were particularly bigoted against those who would the darker arts, not realizing they could be used to better mankind. I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes, frustration was a puerile emotion, and ignorance too common for me to succumb to their number. Either she would realize I meant no malice through my actions, or she was oblivious.

I had thought she might have been an outlier, having attacked the 'paladin'. Realizing my mulling had distracted me, I turned toward the warrior and saw, in his place, an illusion. The fact that I was it so clearly, considering the enchantment on my eyes, confused me, until I realized the simplicity of the enchantment. He had merely blurred his figure, a strange practice when you could still see where he was.

Deciding he was in the middle of something far bigger than a simple illusion and that I was better off waiting to see how the spirits dealt with him, I waited and chanted as ever. The spirits would estimate where he was and attack, they would no-doubt use up their last two commands shortly. All for the better, as my smoke now was built up enough to summon one more.

As to the woman, who had apparently taken a disliking to me, I shifted my final servant directly in front of me while moving so she was slightly behind me, a position of trust and submission. This was a farce, or course, I would be a cool to trust the actions of one who fears and hates me. I held my rope with my right hand and the dart from my left, watching her out of the corner of my eye as I focused on our opponent. If she attacked, I could swing it around and behind me for an unexpected angle of attack. Now, all I had to do was wait for an opening.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 24
7/26/2018 13:27:36   
Starstruck

This one was swift! The discs whistled through the air. It was a near miss, but a miss nonetheless. The puppetmaster had ducked faster than he'd thought possible and pulled a turtle shell from Lord knows where, lashing out with unnatural quickness. Vir felt the cables slip from his grasp as he was knocked backwards, discs completing their arc only to bounce off the wide shell and clatter to the ground. There was time to catch himself; he brought his feet underneath his body and kicked out to

BONK

The metal object that had collided with his head crackled to life, sending shivers down Vir's spine as the current flowed harmlessly along magnetic pathways into his conductive belt. He couldn't see, could barely breathe - that hurt! He felt the back of his mind spring to life instinctually, guiding the sparks into the conductive cables and to the copper plates in the center of each disc. As Vir landed, knocked away from the tall clown, dazed and unsteady but upright, he heard the splash of water and the sizzling of energy. He'd touched down in a massive puddle, discs carelessly energizing it with whatever weak shock he had just received.

Okay, that didn't work so well. Let's try something else.

His eyes couldn't seem to focus, but his mind was active and humming, pulses of magnetism zipping back and forth through the wound-up copper cable. Sparks began to arc between the two discs, now beginning to rise up and float of their own accord. He tottered a bit, unsteady, but kept his footing, watching warily for something to happen.

A peculiarly dressed man, a cowpoke with some contraption strapped to his back, offered him an opportunity for his next move, firing a stream of water at the young girl behind him - the girl who, he was pretty sure, had just chucked something at his head. His arms splayed out, the discs mimicking their movements, crackling with power. As the stream connected with his competitor, Vir lashed out with the discs, stopping just as the copper plates at their center made contact with the water, praying that it was conductive. Let's see how this goes.
DF MQ  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =EC 2018= Twilight Arena
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition