Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Dueling Timelines Paradox

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> Dueling Timelines Paradox
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/8/2018 11:46:15   
brotherinlaw

This thread will be focusing on the inconsistencies surrounding the canonical ages of Alexander, Warlic, and Jaania.

It is suggested previous to the Alexander saga that the duel happened centuries ago, with various irregularities. While design notes have said he was apprenticed 200 years ago, Nythera is said to have been apprenticed to WARLIC 200 years ago, and to have been considered her father's "old friend".

Yet, during the saga itself, we meet several people still alive to this day, back during the reign of King Slugwrath. it's also worth noting, Xan owed a favor in Bassalt's Assault. Perhapse he helped with Xan's recovery post-duel?

To make things worse, Doug Digg, a dwarf who was there for Xan's burning down of the villiage as a child, arrived in Lymcrest a mere 89 years ago, setting the Duel less than 80 years previous, supporting the idea that it happened shortly before Alteon's revolution.

(I can't thank the numerous players for their contributions individually. To see who contributed, look at the thread titled "Continutiy goof up?" )
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
11/8/2018 12:10:27   
TFS

The explanation is simple; they didn't plan ahead while writing Book 1. There used to be a similar situation involving a line of Izaac's dialogue in Book 1 and Edelia's age, but Dove actually went back and changed it after a conversation on Discord.
DF  Post #: 2
11/8/2018 12:40:04   
blowthemandown

There are still tons of inconsistencies with Edelia and soulweaving even after that, but that sort of thing's for the other thread, I guess.
DF  Post #: 3
11/8/2018 14:20:24   
HORRIOR

Space is broken and time is bendable.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
11/8/2018 17:18:56   
Malarik the Caster

On the topic of Edilia, we cross the ocean in the Tomix Saga in what appears to be a very short matter of time. We have been on Azeveyr multiple times, and yet our hero still acts like a tourist. If we could cross it using whatever path Tomix took AND WE TOOK when we went to get our clothes for the gala, why did we need the help of Mazurek and pirates this time.

And still on the Xan thing, Doug says the town burned down, but:
A) Alexander did not like fire, at all, and
B) He had a thing for cryomancy, nor pyromancy
And I'm sure the above is hinted that time he became Xanta with the whole using both elements thing

These inconsistencies are great. Did Artix plant that scene in the Necropolis years in advance knowing this would happen.
Post #: 5
11/8/2018 17:21:12   
Lujikul

I really wish I knew what this necropolis scene this is people keep mentioning. I played through it in its entirety ages ago, and I remember only one thing that may be fire related.
Post #: 6
11/8/2018 17:23:12   
Malarik the Caster

Oh it's the quest 'The Gatekeeper' where we try to sneak in using Zorbak's ID and we respond to every question with 'Magic!'
And of course, because Artix, we end up slaughtering them anyway.

It's one of the better quests actually, just in how it flows and feels. The Darkness orb in general is just a great saga. Really miss those kinds of questchains. I suppose Sulen'Eska is similar, but book 3 just lacks that RPG feel that made those early quests so enjoyable.

< Message edited by Malarik the Caster -- 11/8/2018 17:26:29 >
Post #: 7
11/8/2018 17:30:41   
Greyor_42

quote:

And still on the Xan thing, Doug says the town burned down, but:
A) Alexander did not like fire, at all, and
B) He had a thing for cryomancy, nor pyromancy

Yeah, why do you think he didn't like fire and chose Cryomancy? because he burned his village down.

quote:

Oh it's the quest 'The Gatekeeper' where we try to sneak in using Zorbak's ID and we respond to every question with 'Magic!'
Which was legitimately only meant to be taken as a joke and not actually serious lore, you do realize that, right? And it's not even "every question", either, it's specifically plotholes. Which also shows that it's bad storytelling because they just wave away things that would legitimately need explanation with "a wizard did it".

quote:

These inconsistencies are great. Did Artix plant that scene in the Necropolis years in advance knowing this would happen.

That's precisely the problem. He didn't plan. That's why the inconsistencies are there, and his carelessness has left the current writing staff now scrambling to tie up all the issues and plotholes.
DF  Post #: 8
11/8/2018 17:56:25   
dragon_monster

Its not like this staff is perfect they sometimes sacrifice consistency for advancing the story like staying an whole day down an trap in spite of having ways to get out that where possible in cutscenes. Or writing that Jaania was an amazing prodigy before she was frozen as she was frozen an short time after joining the mage academy?

But honestly can we not go with new info beats old info? What the dwarf said was before what Nythera said because Nythera said it later is it not the true info? Also no design notes and I searched said that the Alexander saga happened 200 years ago.
http://www.dragonfable.com/gamedesignnotes/date/2011/12
No mention of any 200 years.

< Message edited by dragon_monster -- 11/8/2018 17:59:57 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 9
11/8/2018 17:57:54   
Necromencer

I think during our first visit to Edilia the concept of it being on a different continent wasn't a thing yet. For our visit to get the clothes we used Kara's wind magic. I guess we didn't use her for our latest trip because she is busy with the king. As for us being a tourist, we were busy the last few times we were there and as far as we know we only visited Edilia, not the surrounding places.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 10
11/8/2018 20:14:00   
blowthemandown

quote:

On the topic of Edilia, we cross the ocean in the Tomix Saga in what appears to be a very short matter of time. We have been on Azeveyr multiple times, and yet our hero still acts like a tourist. If we could cross it using whatever path Tomix took AND WE TOOK when we went to get our clothes for the gala, why did we need the help of Mazurek and pirates this time.

Yeah, that's the big one. It was only decided what continent Elelia was on a long time after we visited it. If you look at that cutscene again, they're clearly crossing a lake, not the sea.
DF  Post #: 11
11/8/2018 20:32:53   
Tomix
Soulweaver

The greatest inconsistency is the misspelling of Edelia by you guys :P
Oh, wait... that's a constant thing.
Nevermind!

On the subject of your very first journey to Azaveyr, I took some artistic liberties of speeding up the travel time for the purpose of the cutscene. I could have shown night and day quickly shifting and changin, but that could have caused epilepsy.

quote:

We have been on Azeveyr multiple times, and yet our hero still acts like a tourist.

Not counting the time you are now properly exploring Azaveyr, you have been on the western continent only 2 times before, and you've only visited Edelia, without doing much exploring. You had a clear goal and you stuck to it.
Now, you are truly exploring Azaveyr, but you are still a tourist!

Fun fact: the first draft name for the western continent was Somweyr, as a homage to Elder Scrolls "Elsweyr", but that didn't catch on, so it was changed to Azaveyr!
DF  Post #: 12
11/8/2018 21:28:28   
Da Awesomancer

@Tomix If I learned anything today, it's that none of us can keep anything straight.

In all seriousness, it's kinda hard to expect the original dev team to have planned out everything to have a singular cohesive storyline, what with DF being an AQ prequel that went wildly out of control and spun into its own separate timeline and all. The level of popularity that DF garnered was unexpected, the decision to make it its own entity was unexpected, and so the existence of a massive timeline that extends through multiple dev teams and story writers was unexpected. Combine that with the fact that the story wasn't taken nearly as seriously back then as it is now, and it's no wonder that various events that exist in a past that we have very little insight into and interaction with are kinda loopy with an uncertain grasp on exact chronology.
DF AQW  Post #: 13
11/8/2018 22:00:36   
TFS

quote:

There are still tons of inconsistencies with Edelia and soulweaving even after that, but that sort of thing's for the other thread, I guess.

How so? Ignoring some early Book 1 inconsistencies such as the aforementioned Lymcrest saga and the Storm War, DF's lore is pretty airtight and the so-called Weaving Saga is one of the game's best examples of consistent/developed storytelling. The fact that later installments to DF's story manage to be so consistent despite the myriad of writers is nothing short of astounding.
DF  Post #: 14
11/8/2018 22:05:15   
blowthemandown

quote:

In the dead of night, you and I grab some provisions, hijack one of those longboats, and then we row back to Azaveyr like there's no mañana!

Back to Azaveyr? In a rowboat?

As long as you're here to clear things up, Tomix, why do soulwoven clothes never changes color with the wearer's mood? The fact that it's supposed to was, I think, its only stated property for like two whole books. That ridiculous tryhard greatcoat was made of the stuff, I recall, and there's a dramatic Book Three quest where the hero wears a whole outfit that would've been a really great time to finally showcase it.
DF  Post #: 15
11/8/2018 22:57:46   
Tomix
Soulweaver

Gameplay and story segregation.
DF  Post #: 16
11/8/2018 23:23:58   
ergotth
AQW Lore-titician

quote:

The greatest inconsistency is the misspelling of Edelia by you guys :P
Oh, wait... that's a constant thing.
Nevermind!

That cracked me up more than it should xD

Also, I think we only wore soulwoven clothes about... twice? I mean, we had the gala outfit which was more of a temporary outfit to hide our weaponry, and I think the SW/MSW outfits could have been soulwoven, or have soulwoven elements, and they ARE all colour custom (well, MSW is intended to be, give the staff time to work on that) which answer you about "changing colours with our mood", just pay a visit to the colouring fairy et voilá, fits your mood.
DF AQW  Post #: 17
11/9/2018 5:47:59   
BluuHorseOfficial

@blowthemandown, the issue is, if the clothing kept changing based on our mood, people at the gala would notice it happening and brand it as magic, duh. Taking note of how the Gala occurs in a place where magic is absolutely forbidden, it is a pretty obvious assumption that Danyel specially had it enchanted in order to not change colour.
DF  Post #: 18
11/9/2018 8:44:45   
Greyor_42

quote:

The fact that it's supposed to was, I think, its only stated property for like two whole books.
Y'know, aside from it's stated property of growing with the wearer. And being virtually indestructible from physical imapcts. And never gets dirty...... All of which were stated at the exact same time as the changing color thing...…

@Ergotth SW and MSW outfits are indeed soulwoven. SW has been confirmed by Dove to have been woven with threads from Aspar, while MSW is woven with threads from Pandora.

< Message edited by Greyor_42 -- 11/9/2018 8:47:13 >
DF  Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> Dueling Timelines Paradox
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition