Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Starting to lose the fun

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest Q&A >> Starting to lose the fun
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/6/2018 5:56:55   
apophis324

I recently managed to get myself to level 135, the max level of an adventurer, and now I pretty much lose every battle I face. I know my build is terrible, compared to what people who know what they're doing are doing, but is there something else, besides restarting with a new character, that I can do to once again enjoy the game? I'm really losing my drive to even log in once per week to play the new quests..

This is my character:
http://aq.battleon.com/build30/charview.asp?temp=12960603

Any tips on how I can re-enjoy the game?
AQ  Post #: 1
12/6/2018 6:11:59   
Aura Knight

Well one thing to do is update your stats. It's a bit trickier for an adventurer but doable. Once you decide which build you wish to use, lose a fight, then travel around Death's Domain until you get the Un-Trainer. And then do some untraining. Once you're done with the build, your next focus should be to optimize your equipment. Once you do that you should enjoy the game more or at least not die too often.

Remember to have your Ready Inventory Before Battle option toggled in case it isn't. That should be helpful.

Here are a couple useful links too:

https://sites.google.com/view/adventurequestequipmentguide/home

https://www.reddit.com/r/AdventureQuest/comments/77skqu/general_equipment_levelling_info_thread/

I realize this is hardly any decent advice, but truthfully, I can't say how you could enjoy the game again. I just find it easier to play when you have the good items and hopefully you can find the best ones for you. This month is also a great time to play because of the donations. You never know what you'll get. I do hope any of this helps.

Oh yeah, there's nothing wrong with taking a break either. Sometimes games aren't meant to be played forever. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and remember that you can always ask for help. There are a lot more knowledgeable players than I willing to assist.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 2
12/6/2018 6:49:18   
Primate Murder

Well, my first advice to people who grow bored is to try out a new build. No offense... but you don't even have a build. My first and foremost advice is to choose a specialization. With your current stats there's nothing surprising in loosing your fights.

You don't have boosters, so it's probably best to have 200 Cha to make use of pets. 200 Dex is necessary for pretty much any build. The other 200 should go into either Int (for spellcasters) or Str (for warriors and rangers).

Afterwards, I suggest picking either an FO or FD lean and sticking with it, since it affects what weapons and armors you use. An FD build specializes in 100-proc weapons (or tomes for mages) and pet/guest damage. An FO build uses weapons and spells to end the battle as quickly as possible. At the moment you have a mishmash of armors and weapons for a variety of playstyles and that leaves you underequipped for any particular battle.

Next, you'd probably benefit from studying the stun meta in the link Aura Knight provided. You can use Shadowfeeder Pendant for celerity; switch to werepyre subrace for a set of guests that can regen your sp; get that Anniversary Cupcake before it disappears from the LTS for a skill's worth of sp once per battle.

If you're more into storylines, I'd suggest Bizzare Flecks and Chessmaster Saga (we got 2 new chapters for it recently).

Finally, I notice that you've got a package or two, so if you're willing to spend money on the game, you're best off buying guardianship. You unlock a wide variety of quests and items, not to mention the remainer of the subrace abilities.
AQ  Post #: 3
12/6/2018 8:22:53   
apophis324

Wow, those were some quick, yet well thought-out replies. Thank you for considering my predicament worthy of reply~! :P

First of, I would like to point out that I would prefer to make due with the equipment I gather, instead of sticking to "those weapons that are generally considered to be very good overall". I think it's more fun to try out new weapons, especially seasonal ones and see if they work for me :)
Second.. I do have to mention I find it a bit of a pity that the only way to be good at this game is to tank some skills while completely ignoring the others.. I would have prefered to keep my 110 points overall, since I like how uniform it looks ^ u^ But I might give the re-trainer a roll, whenever I can find time to un-train all my stats in one sitting. I do hope it helps. I mean, if I still kept missing about 40% of my attacks, it would be nice if the 60% that did hit actually hit hard.

So, thank you for the suggestions and I'll see what I can do with them. If anyone has any other ideas, and it's not against forum rules to post them after the fact, I would love to hear more ideas~!

PS. Missing out on events?! Are you mad?!! What if the Thanksgiving event of this year holds the key to my future victories?! :P
J-Just kidding with this, of course..
AQ  Post #: 4
12/6/2018 9:00:58   
Primate Murder

Well, I would suggest at the very least trying out a variety of different weapons (including the best ones) then just getting whatever comes in the next event. I mean, if you dislike them, nobody's stopping you from selling them and getting new ones. There is an enormous amount of weapons across AQ! (and it's also a way of trying out a lot of old and forgotten quests, so win-win).

The game expects you to have an 85% hit rate, so 40% miss is kinda bad. Also, if you don't have max Str (or Int if mage), your 60% hits aren't gonna hit worth much. I mean, you're loosing out on 45% stat damage!

Not Thanksgiving, maybe, but you're just in time for Frostval (Giftboxen coming out today barring any delays), and some of the best stuff in the game is from Frostval sets.

On a more personal note, my first character also wanted a 'try out everything' approach, so I made him a hybrid with 200 in Str, Dex and Int. That allows you to use literally any weapon in the game (at least lean-approporiate ones), while your skills hit hard and cost less. The only downside is that you'll lack Cha to make the most out of your pets and guests, but that's life, I guess.

Edit: Alternatively, you can try out FD beast builds. Stacking 20 turns of paralysis and never taking a single hit can be pretty fun.

< Message edited by Primate Murder -- 12/6/2018 9:32:13 >
AQ  Post #: 5
12/6/2018 13:29:42   
Aura Knight

Well, if you wish to keep your stats as they are, you should probably considering getting things which boost them temporarily. Such as certain armor skills (subraces come to mind) and misc items.

A couple useful miscs to have in your inventory include:

- Pendant of the 'Galin
- Bell Shell
- AQ 16th Birthday Cupcake
- Osiris Set Misc

There's a lot more and they would be listed in either of the two links I included in my first response.

You might also wish to consider weapons that have auto hit. Some of these include a weapon from the Fujin Set, and the weapon from the Kindred Set. There is also the sizzler earth spell from the introductory quest for the Geocastellum set which I recommend you get too as it's a fairly decent utility armor.

Spells to consider include Purple Rain, MoonWalker's Grace. If you can get them pick up Buffalot and the Arcane one from packages to help boost your strength and intellect. Also, the subraces can give you boosts to certain stats too. Vampire subrace boosts your charisma as an adventurer, Werewolf boosts your Dexterity I believe, and Werepyre boosts both Strength and Intellect. You should already know what the Neko subrace gives you.

Oh and for an armor set, Kindred should be your best friend. I'm sure even with your stats you could hit fairly high. Just not as high as someone with optimized stats.

You could probably even do okay with certain old weapons. Raynar's Blade's are great for a bit of extra healing. However, this weapon is not always so reliable.

A few shields to consider to help boost your stats further include the Celtic Wheel (whichever variant is the 135 on), Pies (level 135 version), Chieftain's Ironthorn (not sure if this would be a good idea since your BTH would already be low enough. CIT also doesnt provide stat boosts, just a damage boost. Not for spells though.

Since your luck is not at 200, I recommend getting Whispering Raiment, which is the assassin class armor. At the 5th level you unlock the +105 initiative bonus and that may be helpful for you.

If you could get it I'd recommend the Omega Astramorph misc but the quest for it is unfortunately now locked to Guardians. Regardless, it's a good misc to consider if you do eventually upgrade. Can change your stats temporarily into that of a warrior.

And I guess that's all I can think of for this second response. Good luck!

AQ DF AQW  Post #: 6
12/6/2018 14:35:19   
apophis324

Woo~! More helpful tips! I adore the Fujin Set for its design, so that would definitely be a keeper. Problem is, I currently can't really get anywhere (unless I'm extremely lucky with rolls and random monster picks), due to not having the stats. I would have to work on those first, before I can get the highest level available in that set again. Same goes for Geocastellum and pretty much all other Mastercraft/Über sets, since they all feature a continuous stream of lvl 135 monsters that hit harder than I can handle.
Kindred Set is indeed a good one too, or so I've noticed. It is what got me to level 135 during that water-themed war some weeks ago. Definitely a keeper since its rework. Also still a big fan of the Overlord Set, also for aestethic reasons. I just love wonderfully designed outfits! I think I'll hang on to the Angel of Souls as well.. It looks amazing, is pretty strong, I think, and it took quite a bit to get to it ^ w^

I think going for 200 Str, 200 Dex and 200 Cha isn't a terrible idea. Once again, I might give that a try if I can find the time to do so.

A-also, the 40% miss might have been a slight exaggeration.. I don't.. really count how often I miss.. it just seems like a while lot, compared to what the opponent does..
AQ  Post #: 7
12/6/2018 14:45:21   
Aura Knight

Oh if stat rolls are a problem just make sure you have enough SP before them. Nowadays you can just defy any roll if you can pay SP for such a thing. And this is why I recommend you get the kindred set and the 16th Birthday cupcake misc. The shield provides a quickcast sp heal if you have at least 40 focus and the misc gives around 300 SP once per fight.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 8
12/6/2018 15:12:40   
apophis324

Drats, if I had known the cupcake was THAT volatile, I would've purchased it.. now it seems no longer available, even though it is still seemingly sold at the Limited Time Item Shop..
AQ  Post #: 9
12/6/2018 15:27:47   
Aura Knight

That's weird. Well at least you have the kindred shield for SP regen though it would be a lot slower unless you stack a bunch of focus at the combat practice trainer.
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 10
12/6/2018 15:33:05   
apophis324

Yeah, there is always that :) Thanks for the suggestions :)
AQ  Post #: 11
12/6/2018 17:00:40   
Legendary Ash

A major contributor to your win/lose ratio is item power level, notable severely underleveled items in your inventory include King's Reign/Epic and Prophet which are -30 Lvs below your char's Lv.
Can start improving your char's performance by buying starter armors and shields from the NPCs in Battleon to replace those that are more that -20 from your char's Lv. Then you may redo MC quests to purchase the Lv 135 versions of Reign, Kindred and Taladosian.

With a flat spread build, your damage and accuracy will be less than expected levels, therefore weapons with higher proc specials are ideal due to them assuming stat damage and accuracy substitution. However if the preferred lean is Offensive, you may decide to use medium to low proc which still is better than no procs for your char.

Note that its good idea to save the below rating's links using the Fwd button on the right of a post's date, as the Q/A topics are deleted after a month of no replies and since some items have to wait until next year.

Blade of Agony's Blood/ Grakma Butcherer location > Blunderlass returns next year's Blarney
Kindred's Enlightenment Lv 135
Sacred Kusanagi Sword updated to *.7 penalty
Snownic Screwdriver from upcoming Decorate Frostval Tree
Evil Jim's Guitar Blade from Sail East, Stonerule, Riona, What do you feel, War of Giants Part 3
Kopesh of Thoth/ Spear of Thoth
Nocturnal Knight Edge from Yulgar

Fire Plate > Overlord's Dynasty
Kindred's Valiance
Offensive Test Armour > Tyrannochicken Rex Rider returns next year's Grenwog
Ice Plate > Horo-show Void Vigilante
Energy Plate > Oracle's Taladosian Robes
Sell jacket, King, Ventus, Eidolon, Tradition, Prophet, Guise and store Uniform

Cerebus Ward location > Fireworks Buckler returns next year's July 4
Vata for Dex toggle to increase accuracy
Father Time for Rewind ability returns next year's Father's day
Morningstar Bulwark
Oracle's Taladosian Ward
Sell Tartan, Epic, Prophet, Palette, Eventide, Crest as seasonal and store Yata

Call Windzard
Call Icezard
Call Rayzard
Ninja Lawyer Assassins Contract returns next year's Blarney
Purple Rain from Vault
Sell Galrick, Vines, Gate, Golem and store Jaania

Floating Pie click to toggle between 5% dmg or Paralysis
Plush Quibble click to toggle between 5% dmg or Paralysis
Ice Cream Golem click to toggle between 5% dmg or Daze
Pikazard click to toggle between 5% dmg or Paralysis from Frogzard Hunter's shop
Skele-Brain a Darkness click to toggle between 5% dmg or Paralysis from Chessmaster: Dark Tidings
Sell Zorbak, Twig, Soul, pup, Protector to Mau, Drac/Gween as seasonal

Grakma Harbinger location to compress Fire guest
Layard's Loyalty/ Sedna's Feast
Feather of the Roc
Void Visor
Bell Shell location
Irt of Osiris
Mecha Knight Power Core location
Sell Wasabi to Gift, Axe to Hallmark, Eye to Jewel and store Mindlock
AQ  Post #: 12
12/6/2018 21:31:07   
ruleandrew

A good rule of thumb: avoid hybrid build

Set STR (or / and) INT to zero, trust me on this. Also decide which type of weapons you wish to use.

Most builds are better than hybrid build in term of battle performance.

< Message edited by ruleandrew -- 12/6/2018 21:35:29 >
AQ  Post #: 13
12/7/2018 0:28:29   
Primate Murder

That's not actually true since the release of the werepyre subrace.

The lvl 0 toggle allows even adventurers to use a Str-Int build with 0 Dex, and Werepyre swords and spells allow you to use that stat build even outside the werepyre armors.

Admittedly, you'd need to be a guardian to take advantage of the Beast Mode (strongest damage among the subraces), but you can still use the Dual Fangs for an ele-comped skill and Superior Claw for Bleed stacking.

Edit: With sp-regen guest, immunity to stuns and a dual stat-boost, werepyre may actually be the best subrace for adventurers.

< Message edited by Primate Murder -- 12/7/2018 0:30:01 >
AQ  Post #: 14
12/7/2018 0:57:55   
ruleandrew

This link explain why (STR and INT pair) do not usually go well together, this pair is even worse than (CHA and LUCK pair)

http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=19845366

Note: some information in the link is now out of date
AQ  Post #: 15
12/7/2018 15:29:27   
KingInTheNorth

>linking a guide last updated in 2014 to argue that werepyre hybrids in 2018 are bad
ok

< Message edited by KingInTheNorth -- 12/7/2018 19:35:46 >
AQ  Post #: 16
12/7/2018 19:58:22   
Willowofwish

For reference check my character page for how and why hybrids are now not only viable but also pretty powerful.
AQ  Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest Q&A >> Starting to lose the fun
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition