Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=DF= February 8th Design Notes: The Nest: Reinforcements and Autoshow!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= February 8th Design Notes: The Nest: Reinforcements and Autoshow!
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/8/2019 23:15:36   
Chaosweaver Amon
Friendly!

quote:

Verlyrus:

The Nest: Reinforcements and Autoshow!

Hey there, heroes!

A word from San Robin about this week's quest release:

Hey! Hi! Howdy!

I never know how to start these! But hey! After quite some time, it’s time for a new quest about the Rose-Ran orphanage “The Nest”!

Last time, we learned a bit about Timmy and the motives of Siofra! But what does Siofra want exactly? Why does he want it? FIND OUT THIS TIME ON DRAGON BA- *Copyright strike, please hold* ON DRAGONFABLE!

You can find the Nest in the book 3 travel map, Click the kingdom of Greenguard and then the Greenguard province! You’ll find the Nest in the top of that area.

Also new this week- Autoshow!

No, it's not the latest in new cars on Lore- Dragon Amulet holders will now have their saved shown items automatically loaded when they log in!

Once you save your shown gear using the button in the inventory, it will be saved to a cookie on your computer (along with other options like sound, UI, etc). Then, whenever you log in to that character on that computer, your shown items will be loaded automatically.

We're excited to finally have this feature- go wild, fashion fans!

Shown items still do not appear on character pages, unfortunately, but this is a step in the right direction.

Have theories about The Nest storyline? Have feedback about the story or new features? Want to discuss all things DragonFable?

Join the discussion on the official forums!

Want to play DragonFable without using an internet browser?

Check out the Artix Games Launcher!

Follow us on Twitter for sneak peeks and updates (and feel free to tweet us your fan art and feedback too!)

Verlyrus Twitter

Tomix Twitter

Tags: Verlyrus San Robin The Nest

Tagged! ~Peachii

< Message edited by Peachii -- 2/8/2019 23:52:43 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 1
2/9/2019 0:49:37   
lastspartan

This looks great to play thanks.

With every loss we have in our lives, it only strengthens us to get us to our best. Out of failure comes success.
Post #: 2
2/9/2019 0:59:21   
GammaCavy

Soo, Messimy understands draconic. And knows a thing or two about dragonlords. How interesting...
DF  Post #: 3
2/9/2019 1:37:18   
lastspartan

She may have been a dragonlady or she is a Dragon locked in human form with no memory of her last life.

With every loss we have in our lives, it only strengthens us to get us to our best. Out of failure comes success.
Post #: 4
2/9/2019 1:54:01   
ergotth
AQW Lore-titician

Maybe that was a slight oversight from the writer, it happens. Also, loving our dragon's personality, the dialogue was priceless xD Siofra was quite a tough boss when I started with MSW, but a second try with Necro paragon (or necromancer) made it actualy a breeze with Ward, Terror and Dark Intent, he barely landed me a hit and not once he managed to "poison" me :D
DF AQW  Post #: 5
2/9/2019 2:27:15   
Vaalirus

I don't know what was funnier in this quest our dragon's dialogue or Siofra trying to get a hold of the keepsake (which we totally could have stopped him from getting...or you know at least help the weirdo put it on his crystal arm...thingy).

I guess the question is now is what Siofra plans on doing with the necklace obviously he's coming back to clobber and squash us as he claimed but I wonder why the object itself is important my guess would be another means to grasp power at the end of it all, but given that Siofra said he was adding it to his collection I have to wonder what else he has stored in there.

Yesterday's loss leads to folly
DF  Post #: 6
2/9/2019 5:44:53   
Raphael 777

I read out loud the part where Siofra was trying to get the keepsake and man, I can actually feel the frustration when he started saying gibberish. Wonder what he's gonna do with that dragonbane keepsake. I'm guessing he collects gems, amulets, pendants or any fancy trinkets made of rare material or imbued with elemental power and use them for his transformations. Maybe that's the collection he's talking about.

< Message edited by Raphael 777 -- 2/9/2019 5:46:09 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 7
2/9/2019 6:44:21   
HORRIOR

"Orphanage!? That's where I keep my FUTURE MINIONS!"

Never change, Destroyer XD (my dragon)
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 8
2/9/2019 9:16:17   
mahasamatman

He said we'll feel the results of him getting the dragonbane. Probably gonna poison all dragons? Hurt all dragonlords? Undo all dragon-lord connections? I'd guess something along these lines.
DF  Post #: 9
2/9/2019 10:50:24   
Flamerider345

note to self- ask kids where they scratched our dragon so we can use it in case we forget to feed him or something.

other than tat awesome release.....after numerous quests of some wat depressing stuff (jaania, thorns, frostval) its nice to hav a quest with such adorable and funny moments like this.

not tat i dislike the way the story is goin....but we just need stuff like this occansionally (especially after we return to the land of dragons...stuff is gonna go down).

i was just sitting there trying not to laugh too loud, but by word was tat hard....cant wait for the nxt quest in this series.

also isnt telepathic communication between dragon nd rider pretty common info? alot of the riders we hav seen can do it...even among those in the rose, so why did she try to cover it up as if it was some secret?

and how does sofira change forms (i no its magick)...like wat determines his form and to wat extent can he "shift" himself? (pun intended)
DF MQ  Post #: 10
2/9/2019 12:55:41   
TFS

Messimy is totally a dragon. She understands Draconic and whatnot, and when she tried to touch Timmy's dragonbane necklace in the last quest her arm turned into purple scales. Interested to see where this goes, hopefully we'll get another update this year.
DF  Post #: 11
2/9/2019 13:38:20   
Lujikul

The dragon's dialogue in this quest was just wonderful, had me laughing the whole time. And the acknowledgement of Siofra's minor difficulties with his transformations just makes it even better.
Post #: 12
2/9/2019 15:19:33   
GammaCavy

Flame, we've seen several dragons and dragonlords speak to each other, but not many speak mind-to-mind at the kind of distance we can talk with our little lizard. Mrithra's Odgne was never far away when they spoke mind to mind, Cryozen and Vilmor never spoke by mind or voice at all that we have seen, and at the end of the dragonrider war, Sentrhis was definitely using her voice instead of minsdpeech. Mrithra and Saellah were both replying to what she said.
DF  Post #: 13
2/9/2019 17:29:16   
Commander_In_Red

Oooh, new feature! Let's see what this is--

Oh, wait. Didn't we already have this? I'm confused.

Can't pass comment on the new "The Nest" quest yet, but based on that title card, it looks awesome.

EDIT: Okay, now that I've played the new quest, I can safely say I love it.

I said a while ago that I had hoped that our dragon would meet the children at the orphanage and for hilarity to ensue as a result.

spoiler:

That happened, and it was exactly what I'd hoped it would be. Thank you AE!

Siofra is back, and he's just as crazy as before. And a tad funnier. Thank you AE!

Potential foreshadowing of Messimy's past? Interesting implications, to say the least.

Overall, a very good release. Thank you AE.

< Message edited by Commander_In_Red -- 2/9/2019 17:51:50 >

The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

By these defininitions, I must be a pessimist. Thank you, TFS.
DF  Post #: 14
2/9/2019 19:12:45   
GammaCavy

^That feature was something we had to activate before. Now it's automatic.
DF  Post #: 15
2/9/2019 22:28:37   
Necromencer

There is definitely something dragony with Messimy. Her reaction to dragonbane, her knowledge of dragons and dragonlords, and that she can understand our dragon. That said she doesn't seem to be a bad person or has her own agenda.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 16
2/10/2019 10:02:15   
Flamerider345

@gamma..oh i didnt notice tat. I guess i didnt pay attention to which is speak bubble or thought bubble...my bad.

i guess the theories the other guys posted r the most believable at the moment...i just thought of this but rather than wat she is im kinda curious as to WHY she tried to mislead us.she could hav said her piece and go along since ,correct me if im wrong, we didnt doubt her for knowing tat.

we r the heroes of lore and r known (especially by the rose) to treat things magical and non magical properly, also she trusts us to help her with the orphanage tat she personally manages....makes u wonder just how bad her past must be.
DF MQ  Post #: 17
2/10/2019 16:14:20   
Monarch

@Flamerider345

Yeah but remember, she's there to look after the kids, and does anyone honestly think the Rose will let her if it gets out that she's related to dragons? Chained and imprisoned, and someone else gets assigned to those kids, someone less understanding no doubt.
Remember that while not ALL Rose members are prejudiced, JAANIA is, and she WILL have Messimy restrained, and likely out her to the kids as a "monster".
Post #: 18
2/10/2019 19:33:21   
Commander_In_Red

@Monarch

Which no one there (Cole being a possible exception) would buy for a second.

Besides which, given that Messimy was willing to report kids who wanted to learn magic to help people to Jaania, I get the impression that there's more to Jaania than just her obvious prejudices.

Which should be fairly obvious at this point, but more evidence of the fact is always nice.
DF  Post #: 19
2/12/2019 22:59:25   
Requilac

So this Sofira character has to find a dragonbane amulet to add onto some yet unspecified collection. While Rapheal, and I am sure many others also, theorize that Sofira's collection consists of magical jewelry, but I propose a different theory: Sofira is collecting the Dragonbane Amulet to add to a sort of "Dragonslaying Equipment Collection". I don't think it's necessarily more likely that his collection is this over anything else, but it is something work considering. Don't quite know what dragon he would be so keen on killing though, except for the hero's perhaps.

And I couldn't help but draw a remote parallel between the use of a dragonbane amulet and the dragon-exiling history of the Magestertium. Some part of me thinks it would be very interesting if this amulet was an ancient Magesterium artifact used to drive away dragons, but even by my standards that is quite a bit of stretch.
Post #: 20
2/15/2019 10:23:06   
Ninjaty

Again with the cookies for this system?

C'mon you guys, save the shown/hidden items in the database instead of using cookies, so we can actually show off the look with our characters pages. If our shown items are not saved server-side, there is logically no reason why equipped items should be either. Clearly the equipped items aren't using cookies because saving it in the DB served as the original version of showing off our looks to all viewers, but now that we have the actual ability to determine our looks without sacrificing our stats, suddenly it's not important for us to be able to show it around anymore?

I really love that the feature has been implemented and that we can now have it auto-load on login, but compared to how the original equipment saving was made with the community in mind and this is made just with the individual player in mind, seems like a very odd and concerning shift in priorities to me. Maybe I am just reading too much into this, but I think I speak for everyone when I say that having it saved server-side would only be an improvement.

< Message edited by Ninjaty -- 2/15/2019 12:52:33 >
Post #: 21
2/15/2019 16:19:37   
  Verlyrus
DragonFable Boxcat

Saving things server side would be great, but it would require a pretty major revamp of how equipping and showing and hiding weapons works. As well as adjusting every single item on every single character in the game to fit the new system. Such a system would also come with its own huge pile of technical issues.

Now, there are ways to do this that don't just end up crashing the database. And it's still something I'm planning on working on.

I agree that doing this in the database would obviously be the better choice, but given how things were implemented years ago, and that we're also working on releasing other content at the same time, this was the best compromise, since I really wanted to release this feature, and I found a way to do it using cookies.

It's not a shift in priorities. I didn't do this thinking "ahaa, now people won't be able to share their character looks on their character page".
It's more that I have a lot on my plate that I'm working on and have planned. So the cookie system seemed the best way for me to release new features while also having time to work on other things.

Believe me when I say that I'd love- absolutely love to have this set up in the database. But that's still quite a ways off.

EDIT: Just had a new idea of how to implement this database-side, but again, it may not happen any time soon.

< Message edited by Verlyrus -- 2/15/2019 16:32:48 >
AQ MQ  Post #: 22
2/15/2019 16:50:00   
GammaCavy

We understand and appreciate the work you've put into it immensely, Verlyrus. Even as far as it's come is a HUGE step, and one that five years ago we never would have thought was really possible. Thank you for all the time you've put into this game from every direction and angle.
DF  Post #: 23
2/16/2019 15:03:25   
Ninjaty

@Verlyrus: Thank you for addressing this. Given that no details other than the feature being live was put in the DNs, I did not find any reason to assume this was anything other than the final implementation, and as such based my argumentation on that assumption. It is good to know that this implementation is not a reflection on new priorities and that a more community-friendly approach will be explored in the future.

As for suddenly coming up with a new potential solution after having released the initial version, I can relate to that as well. Sometimes we just need to create a first version before a new take on it becomes obvious to us. I myself had such an experience on at work last week.

< Message edited by Ninjaty -- 2/16/2019 15:29:54 >
Post #: 24
2/17/2019 2:26:25   
Malarik the Caster

So I'm going to do the impossible and try to predict what in the void is going on in a DragonFable plot. Let's see if I can get at least within a ballpark, eh?

Ok, so Siofra has a specific set of elemental-related abilities. We know exactly what type of elements he uses thanks to a certain Inn Fight (not cannon, but he was designed with the character in mind. I doubt there will be too much difference). He favours your more 'real' elements, nature, silver, metal, the like. If he were a standard elemental, he would be restricted to the base 8. Thus, we can conclude that his powers come not from elements, but from some other source. My grand theory is that he is an 'absorber' taking on the qualities of things he interacts with. Things like fire, stone and gems, as with the cannon occurrences. This also partially explains Uber Mode siofra in the Inn, as his 'shifting' could be a form of desensitising to the element. His referencing a 'collection' implies he has a bunch of artifacts that give him power.

So plot wise, he needs the dragon bane, as he said, because of how refined it is. He needs it specifically so he can have a heightened level of power against a dragon. Now, story wise, as Messimy (notevengonnatrytospellthatone) and our dragon (because we need that level of firepower) are going to be taken out, and our hero will probably have some sort of blackwinter flashbacks (that is before this cannonically, yes? timelines are confusing).

Not sure which dragon he wants out, probably ours and we just walked into a trap. Or it might be someone we don't know. Either way, we got some more taking sides against humanity incomming. Always good to see our hero slay people from dragonback in the name of dragon lives. Good times.

Edit: Ok, so upon reviewing the timeline (which I totally noobed and forgot was a thing) our dragon hasn't even gone full doom yet. This nest stuff occurs between Madness and Weal. Which is even more confusing, because now these upbeat events are happening in a time when our hero is just about to lose their dragon. Wait, no, that's potential foreshadowing. Reverse foreshadowing? Or is it referencing? Dear Avatars, timelines are confusing. I can't wait for the fleshweaver stuff to break our puny, mortal perceptions; like cause and effect, and logical reasoning!

< Message edited by Malarik the Caster -- 2/17/2019 2:35:48 >
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= February 8th Design Notes: The Nest: Reinforcements and Autoshow!
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition