Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Flash Q&A Thread 4

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> RE: Flash Q&A Thread 4
Page 28 of 30«<2627282930>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/21/2008 1:45:45   
Taerzik

@ Eragon and flsg:

Could I make a suggestion? Come up with a formula randomly reshapes/colors and alphas some on-screen 'flames' within certain basic parameters to create the dancing flames, then have the 'spark' particles released in (x) quantities for (x) amount of time and wait (y) amount of time for more to be released.

By using a system like that, you could either specify your variables to get the animation to operate in a specific manner or you could let it go completely at random. The reason for having the sparks go 'on and off' is that fires generally operate that way, somtimes sparking and crakling, sometimes just dancing.
Post #: 676
2/21/2008 10:55:31   
EragonZZZZ

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taerzik

@ Eragon and flsg:

Could I make a suggestion?

Come up with a formula randomly reshapes/colors and alphas some on-screen 'flames' within certain basic parameters to create the dancing flames,
Already done.

then have the 'spark' particles released in (x) quantities for (x) amount of time and wait (y) amount of time for more to be released.
Not a bad idea. Some continuous particles, some random particles...I'll look into it

By using a system like that, you could either specify your variables to get the animation to operate in a specific manner
Already done. :D

or you could let it go completely at random. The reason for having the sparks go 'on and off' is that fires generally operate that way, somtimes sparking and crakling, sometimes just dancing.

Excellent point, I'll poke around with it

AQ  Post #: 677
2/21/2008 18:29:06   
flsg

good ideas, too lazy to do it lol
how's your multiuser app?

My flash gallery
my game thread

flsg, proud old member of AQ(still playing :O)
AQ  Post #: 678
2/22/2008 2:32:05   
Taerzik

It's on hold, sort of.
I've left the server off until I finish a side project: that book display app.
Once I've finished the current project I'll continue on the multi-user client itself. The book app is actually designed to load into the client for users to access, however, it's also a stand-alone app. The idea is to be able to use the book display on a PSP, or anything else ( The PSP will load Flash I hear). I'll have it up for download on my site once it's finished.

Right now the problem is figuring out the code to sort through the text file. It's really not hard, but the text file is 4.6 mb of pure text and I don't want to re-format it (for the app to read) by hand.
Anyway, new ground, as usual.

Oh, right, Eragon, your flame looks more like a regular fire for the most part, I was thinking mostly of apparent circles in flsg's version. All I'm suggesting with that point is that the 'flame' part look more like the traditional tear-drop flame shape, though perhaps it is and I just can't tell it. The only tweak to the 'flame' on yours, Eragon, might be to get the flame to dance a bit more wildly, that way the individual flickers of flame are more distinguishable.

Whatever though, I have no experience with that kind of effect yet, so really, congrats doing what you've got.
Post #: 679
2/22/2008 19:52:43   
somebody621

Meh... I came here to deliver a post

Coming back to particles? Mathus the second, flsg, lBB, and I messed around a bit. Guess we can always make it better

I'm bored of physics for a long time. INERTIA + MOMENTUM + TORQUE gets confusing

Trying make a strolling engine, but I've been slacking.

flsg, how many particles are in your fire? Are the graphics premade or all actionscript? Just wondering, I wanna see if I can make a fire.
Post #: 680
2/23/2008 9:16:20   
flsg

how many particles? Dunno, I just randomly create some, unlike eragon I don't need to recycle them, AS3 FTW
the fireball is drawn
AQ  Post #: 681
2/23/2008 10:21:48   
EragonZZZZ

Blah, you didn't understand, even if you use AS3 it's better to recycle your particles so you don't have a huge amount of variables being declared and destroyed as time goes on.
AQ  Post #: 682
2/24/2008 13:15:42   
flsg

so what, at a certain time there will be a fixed amount of variables lol
AQ  Post #: 683
2/24/2008 18:22:34   
Mo

I installed adobe flash professional's free trial but I can't use it
AQ MQ  Post #: 684
2/25/2008 17:27:44   
flsg

how? could you be more specific?
AQ  Post #: 685
2/25/2008 19:17:45   
Mo

Never mind. I got it to start working
AQ MQ  Post #: 686
2/25/2008 21:00:24   
Awsome Teh Cake

I have a queston: is there any possible way to declare a variable in all frames except for globals or making a frame the same length as all the other frames, and in it declares the variables?
AQ  Post #: 687
2/25/2008 22:11:05   
Taerzik

My experience says that if you make a variable in the main timeline (assuming AS2 here) it is available just about everywhere. If you need to, I think you can declare a variable from elsewhere to the timeline by :

_root.myVariable = Value

but I'm not absolutely certain about that.
Post #: 688
2/28/2008 19:52:00   
Awsome Teh Cake

I thought declaring a var is done like this:
var Thingy:Number = 0;
AQ  Post #: 689
2/29/2008 18:03:52   
flsg

yeah he's talking about the old AS2 without the type checking thing(:Number)
also _root is considered as a movieclip, so to declare a variable for dynamic object like a movieclip can't include the type checking
AQ  Post #: 690
2/29/2008 21:59:18   
Taerzik

True, unless you declare that all references to root in that object refer to the object itself. I did that for my current project, and like flsg said, I'm still in AS2.
Post #: 691
3/1/2008 1:22:09   
mathus the seconth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taerzik

I'm still in AS2.

You're not the only one. I cant seem to grasp the AS3 syntax. Oh well.

I made a cheap 1 level RPG engine (In AS2, of course). Someone making a game might find it useful.

Look at it here.
Fla source is here.

quote:

ORIGINAL: somebody621

Meh... I came here to deliver a post

Coming back to particles? Mathus the second, flsg, lBB, and I messed around a bit. Guess we can always make it better

I'm bored of physics for a long time. INERTIA + MOMENTUM + TORQUE gets confusing

Trying make a strolling engine, but I've been slacking.

flsg, how many particles are in your fire? Are the graphics premade or all actionscript? Just wondering, I wanna see if I can make a fire.

Particles. Those were the good days... In fact, here's some old junk I found on my HD:

Flame
Volcano
Tornado
Waterfall

< Message edited by mathus the seconth -- 3/1/2008 1:57:34 >
AQ  Post #: 692
3/2/2008 20:54:54   
EragonZZZZ

After doing fire, I'm going for water next.

Obviously this is going to be incredibly difficult to get it to look as realistic-ish as the fire and not lag immensely...so I think I'm sticking with some core ideas:
-Water particles retain properties of transparency and light blue, as well as highlights (white)
-Particles "split" when they hit a surface (emit smaller particles)
-Particles get smaller during their lifetime

I may try to make particles near each other 'merge' but we'll see how it goes.
Any other suggestions?
AQ  Post #: 693
3/2/2008 22:43:43   
mathus the seconth

EragonZZZZ, let me know if you need any help. I love challenges.
AQ  Post #: 694
3/3/2008 2:49:19   
Taerzik

Here's a dumb question. How do I write variables to a text file? (AS2 please). I just can't remember and I haven't had the time to look for a while.
Also, anyone done anything with search and change in a long string? I could use some pointers there.
Post #: 695
3/5/2008 7:55:42   
Awsome Teh Cake

I have another Q (sorry if I'm bothering you, you don't have to answer, but if you can, please do): when I write this code:
Enemy_HP = Enemy_HP -= random(15);
How would I make it so it subtracts a number between 15 and 5 or something close to that? would i make it like this?:
random(5-15); ???
if you know, please either pm me or tell me on this forum.
ty in advance :D

...Better...Stronger....Faster...Chunkier...?....BEEFIER!
AQ  Post #: 696
3/5/2008 9:04:00   
flsg

BeefStew
first of all, Enemy_HP = Enemy_HP -= random(15); will return an error I think. remove the second "="
the code is random(11)+5
random(11) returns a number between 0 and 10
+5...gives you +5 to the result lol

Taerzik: you must use a server-side language, like asp or php. If you work with SFS, they have already done a bunch of flash codes that helps you do the same effect(php already coded by them). But your server needs to support a server-side language

for the string stuff...use CharAt() and indexOf()
I'm too lazy to search if it's the right function name, sry XD
AQ  Post #: 697
3/6/2008 19:45:51   
Taerzik

I looked into it, your right, flash apps can't just write to a file, even text. I'm going to skip it and just format the file by hand, cutting out the fancy stuff for the app. It'll just be a plain viewer I guess.

Alllrriight... well. I've done some work and the program is nearing completion. Now, either I need to load my text into a flash file, auto-format it and paste it back into the file, or else I'm going to have to do all the changes by hand... hmmm, hard decision. One choice takes effort and thought, the other takes effort and... alot of time. I'll try option 'A' I think, if I can figure out how that is.

< Message edited by Taerzik -- 3/8/2008 3:32:34 >
Post #: 698
3/8/2008 14:14:28   
Sephiroth12

I need help... I don't know if someone already posted this, but... :

Is there any way to make an invertation in Flash MX using actionscript? Because Flash 8 would KILL my computer and I only have flash MX...
AQ  Post #: 699
3/8/2008 21:20:16   
Taerzik

Seph. what do you mean by an invertation? You mean flipping an object mirror-view like?

Whew, alright, breaking old ground here I know but still... I'm trying to get my program to work on a PSP however, as I found out today, the PSP Flash Player is basically version 6 with some specialty stuff removed. I tested my app and the buttons won't load, I think it's because I used 'getnextHighestDepth ()' which is supposedly only available as of player version 7, so I'm going to have to come up with a substitute method of setting depth smoothly. That's ok though because something else I discovered was that the PSP has only 2mb of memory given to the browser to run on AND that memory is shared between a number of things, including the Flash player. The good news however, is that the PSP F-Player DOES retain the functions for contacting a server, I just don't know which ones yet so...
Looks like I need to overhaul my programs specifically for the PSP, basically from the ground up.
Post #: 700
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> RE: Flash Q&A Thread 4
Page 28 of 30«<2627282930>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition