Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

[A RisingStars Tutorial] - Tips for the Approval Thread and Beyond!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> [A RisingStars Tutorial] - Tips for the Approval Thread and Beyond!
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/4/2008 20:36:30   
_Depression

I know the new Approval System is a little daunting, and there is some fairly strict requirements, mostly for the second step. So, in order to help those that are either unsure as to how to go about getting approved or that have been rejected for one reason or another, I decided to break down what your post should include, and how best to type out each part.

First Step - Your Examples
Well, here's probably, in my opinion, the easiest part of the entire process. Though it could be the toughest.

What is Grafh asking for?
Don't stress this too much, it isn't a trick question. Pick two of your best examples of art (that you made, of course), and simply post them.

Is there a best way to post them?
There is no set way to post your examples, but unless you are a sig/tag maker, you really don't want to use images at all.
I would suggest using a style like what you see below, the link disguised as text:
Example 1
[link=http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/lozocara/assassin2.png]Example 1[/link]

As an aside, I would just use text like "Example 1" or "Art 1". Don't give any title like "Assassin Tag". If you want to say it's a tag, or a flash weapon, go ahead. But still, be generic. "Flash Weapon 1" works just fine.

Second Step - The Criticism
Here is, without a doubt in my mind, the most complicated process of the entire approval.

What is Grafh asking for?
In theory, it's simple. Grafh is asking you to look at two images and critique them. Simple right?
Not exactly.
For those of you who say, "I'll just steal a critique someone gave earlier", you should know that the arts you see when you open the link is actually a randomly chosen image from the big man's photobucket. So just reposting another person's criticism is fairly useless. Besides, I have seen Grafh saying that the status of "Approved Artist" can be revoked if you show you cannot give proper criticism.
It's better just to do it yourself, and do it right.

How am I supposed to comment on this tag? I don't make sigs!
Whoa, hold your horses.
First, you aren't being asked to give any in-depth criticism, just what you think. This test is not biased to sig makers at all.

So how should I comment on it?
USE PROPER GRAMMAR AND SPELLING. I don't care how horrible your English is, do your best here, because it counts for so much.
As for the "how" part of the commenting, I have devised a small, five step program for this exact problem.

1. Comment on the colors and render.
Do you think the colors are too dark or too bright? Do they work with the render, or do you get confused when you see a happy anime girl against a black and blood-red background?

2. Talk about the general appearance.
Is the overall tag really empty? Too cluttered? Is the amount of bright lights so overwhelming that it burns your eyes?
What about the flow of the tag? Is everything going in one direction smoothly, or are there huge differences in direction every fifteen pixels?

3. Comment on the text and border, and other additions.
When you read the text, does it feel right? Or does the text confuse you because it's so different from the tag? Is the font and color good, or is it hard to read/too contrasting from the sig/overall bad? What about the border? Any other little things, like lines around the text and stuff?

4. Point out any things you thought were really good or really bad.
Did a certain part of the tag make you go "Wow!"? Or was there something you saw and gagged at? If so, comment on that right here, right now.

5. Give an overall opinion.
After talking about all of that, what are your final thoughts? Was it good? Could it have been better? If you have any suggestions, put them in here with your conclusion.

Third Step - The Agreement Clause
Well, sure just copy and paste it all, right?
Go ahead, bud, but Make Sure You Read It First. That's all I have to say on that.

The Last Step
Congratulations, you have just posted your application! Now what? No, there's no Disney for you just yet. First, you need to join the Approved Artists group.

How do I get to the place to join the AA?
Well, here are the steps to solve this puzzle:

1. Click on the "Members" button below the Google ad in the top left corner of the forums page.
2. Click on the "View All Groups" button in the upper-middle of the screen.
3. Click on the "Join" button next to the Approved Artists group.

And you're set. Congratulations to you, you have only to wait for Grafh to approve you! Yay!

Part II - After You Are Accepted

Making A Gallery
Well, you've done it! You are now officially an Approved Artist. But wait, the fun is just beginning. Now we have to make a gallery, get some viewers, and integrate ourselves into the community. ...Where to begin?

Step 1- Picking a Title
Well, how are we going to pick a title? Are we going to make one that talks just about what we make? Or do we want to make it snazzy?

"Absolute" Art Titles
A gallery title like: "Tags in GIMP" is fine. Mozart and Bach, those famous music guys, titled their music with names like "Toccata and Fugue" or "Symphony No. 25". There's nothing special about those names, but there's nothing wrong with them either.

"Program" Art Titles
Beethoven didn't want to name his piano works "Sonata No. 8 for Piano". He decided to go with a name like "Moonlight Sonata." What he did was give the listener an image, what to expect when they listened to the music.
So how do you want to have your gallery's viewers think? Is it something like "Chaotic"? "Old School"? Are you trying to make a name people will remember, like "Rising Stars"?

Art Tags
Remember to tag your gallery with your program! There's a list of the program tags in the Gallery Rules thread. Here it is, just for you:
[3D] - Any sort of 3D program (Maya, Blender, etc.)
[EDIT] - Edits
[FLASH] - Flash
[FW] - Fireworks
[GIMP] - The GIMP
[ILL] - Illustrator
[PAINT] - Paint, or similar programs
[PS] - Photoshop
(if you have another program, feel free to abbreviate that instead!)

NOT ACCEPTABLE!!
Remember that your gallery's title isn't completely void of restrictions. 1337 5p33k is completely unacceptable. Don't even try it. Also, try to avoid using million-word titles. Keep it readable, buddy.

Step 2- The First Post
This post, where you introduce the thread, is for you to design however you want. Change the font size and color, put everything against the right side, it's all up to you.

The Banner
Some galleries have an image that they use as a sign, kinda like a "Welcome to ______" sign. Well, you can have one too. Just make sure it follows a few rules:
-The banner cannot be over the size of 750x500.
-Make sure the image's filesize is under 100kb.

Other than those two rules, however, you're only restricted by the AE forums' PG-13 rule.

The Introduction
Want to introduce yourself? Well, feel free. Not everyone wants to do this, but a little biography isn't the worst thing in the world. Keep it reasonable, sure. Don't go putting up your Social Security number, home address, telephone number, or anything too personal.
What you can add:
-Forum Name (or what you want people to call you. For example, I go by _Dep instead of _Depression)
-Program Experience (how long you've been using the program to make the images you're showcasing. This is not how long you've had the program)
-Age (I've seen this, but don't find it all too necessary)
-Country living in (Don't get too specific, but feel free to tell us you live in Russia. Or the Czech Republic. The USA. Wherever)

What you shouldn't add:
-Anything too personal (phone #, Social Security #, home address, mother's maiden name...)

Intro - cont'd
Now, I know some people like to put some other things into their introduction, like their goals on the forums and stuff like that. Feel free to include a list of things like:
Goals:
-Get Creative! title
-Get to 30 pages (new gallery)
-Get a post from _Dep

Other things are fine too.

The Artwork
Well, now you get to post your art! Finally! Just remember to follow a couple rules:
-You can have ONLY 6 images in your gallery. And yes, the banner counts as one.
-Other pictures/art can be put in link form
-Try not putting your biggest pictures as images. The mods WILL edit your first post if it takes up too much bandwidth.

Other than that, here are some suggestions for your art:
-LABEL them. Which is your favorite? Best? Why did you choose that image to be in image form?
-Don't feel the need to put up six images. If you only have two you like, leave the rest as links.
-Spice things up. If you have different types of art in your gallery, show a variety.

Make Your Gallery Interesting
DON'T settle with keeping everything on the left side. Put some parts on the right side, stick others in the center.
DO use the different font/size options to your advantage. Change up the colors, boldness, italics, font, size... make it FUN!
DON'T clutter the first post. Put spaces between different areas.
DO remember proper grammar. This part of your gallery is what viewers see first. Don't put them off by speakings like this to they.

Step 3- Getting Noticed
Well, your gallery title will get you some publicity, but not all that much. How are you supposed to get more?

Visit Other Galleries
Comment on the art of another artist, and be especially sure to talk with people who use the same program as you. Be nice, and they just may give your gallery a visit in return!

Know What You're Talking About
When you go to another gallery, don't just say, "Hi, come see my stuff!" Comment on their art, critique it, or at least mention things you liked. An artist isn't going to go to your gallery if you ask them/tell them to. You need to make a good first impression, and that all starts by knowing two things:
-How to critique the art you're viewing
-How to comment WELL

I cannot stress the latter enough. When you speak, try your best to comment on the art with good grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Act like you care.

Offer Advice
Be sure to help out the new artists! Show them the ropes, give them tips, and be friendly. Don't be haughty or obnoxious, but kind and helping. By being a mentor to others, you can boost your own reputation and gain a couple new viewers in the process! I mean, it's wise to be nice to everyone, but being nice does have its benefits.

Step 4- Get Involved
The Gallery is full of opportunities to meet with other artists, whether it be through competition, discussion, or collaboration. What can you do? Here, let me show you:
Competition
The Gallery Battle Area has all the competition you can get. Whether it be through an Art Battle, where you can pit your own art against another artists, the Sig of the Week (for those of you who make sigs), or the current tournament. There's always a chance to show your prowess and have fun doing it!
Discussion
The world of art is not without its debates. Feel free to add your opinion to the latest topic in the Black Rose Cafe. You can always let yourself be heard! If you have an idea for the Gallery, don't hesitate to tell it in the Suggestions. And don't forget about the Artist of the Month! Congratulate the current winner (you're listening to the winner in April '07), and just think: one month, it may just be YOU!
Collaboration
There are a few collaboration galleries in the Gallery. You can combine your gallery with a peer and showcase your stuff together! This is helpful if you aren't the most productive, or if you just want to have a mutual gallery that could get more posts and views than if you were solo. And, even if you don't want to have a collab gallery, you can collaborate on a piece of art with a peer, which can be a great way to learn some things from your partner, and also can get you another viewer or two!

Step 5- Enjoy
The Gallery is a social place. A place to showcase your work, along with a place to browse through the art of others. Look around, you may find yourself liking another artist's work!
Remember to be nice, and take full advantage of all The Gallery has to offer. We are a community of artists, a place to meet and mingle with colleagues, make friends, and have fun.

My name is _Depression, and I hope to see you around! And, if you have any problems or questions, about anything, I'm always open to PMs. Just drop me a line, and I'll do my best to help out!

Sincerely, and with all the luck in the world,
_Depression.

< Message edited by _Depression -- 5/24/2008 3:33:50 >
AQ  Post #: 1
2/4/2008 20:55:16   
VampireHSS

Good tutorial, but the approved artist title is gone.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
2/4/2008 21:00:09   
_Depression

I'm talking about becoming an approved artist. You still need to join the group to be able to post...

This tutorial is for the actual application process. =)
AQ  Post #: 3
2/4/2008 21:05:31   
VampireHSS

I know. I meant this:
quote:

Besides, I have seen Grafh saying that the title of "Approved Artist" can be revoked if you show you cannot give proper criticism.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
2/4/2008 21:08:52   
_Depression

oh. Well, I guess I phrased that badly. I meant to say that the status of "Approved Author" can be revoked...

quote:

Original: Grafh

When replying to galleries you need to be posting CC. Fail to do so and you can be removed.

^^That's where I got the whole "revoked" idea from, when Grafh posted that in CursedWolf's application on page 2.

< Message edited by _Depression -- 2/4/2008 21:11:44 >
AQ  Post #: 5
2/4/2008 21:56:50   
Grafh
Jade Rose

Nice job Dep.

Cheesefreak and Andres lent me some of their work for the images to give CC to. People are now able to give CC to other non-sig works.

I FAQed, this. I may sticky it. Nice job.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 6
2/5/2008 3:42:25   
Trip

nice tut might wanna take off the approved artist title..
lol i never even got one lol but im approved xD
and add that it takes a while to get approved its not instantly
Post #: 7
2/5/2008 3:53:05   
Nicky

Nice, Dep- as everyone above me has said. :P

Great idea, cause I would think the approval would be very daunting for anyone new to the board, or art in general. Even to some of the regulars.
AQ DF  Post #: 8
2/5/2008 7:59:11   
Grafh
Jade Rose

_Dep has it right Trip.

"the status of "Approved Artist" can be removed" - Once you are approved, you are part of the group. I can remove people if needed.

And "you have only to wait for Grafh to approve you" - Is right again, depending the time of the day, it may take awhile.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 9
2/5/2008 18:47:09   
_Depression

xD Wow, three of the four DAaS AKs saying my tut is good? Wasn't expecting that, lol.

Thanks to Grafh, Nicky, and Trip. =)
AQ  Post #: 10
5/24/2008 1:52:14   
_Depression

Well, I decided to update this tutorial with a Part II:

Posting a Gallery and Beyond!

I'm hoping to continue with a further update, probably on how to give proper critiques, and how to be a helpful member of the Gallery.

=)
AQ  Post #: 11
5/24/2008 8:17:24   
Cool Dragonz

Hehe, we know this already, but alot of people don't ^^ Very nice _Dep.

@ Below: ^^ Yw

< Message edited by Cool Dragonz -- 5/24/2008 8:28:51 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 12
5/24/2008 8:21:27   
_Depression

Thank you, cd. *bows respectfully*
AQ  Post #: 13
5/24/2008 17:20:12   
_Affliction_

Very Nice _Dep.

I am still relatively new to the GoCA. I've only started making some art in GIMP. This will definitely help me on my way to getting my own gallery. Very helpful.

Thanks!

AQ DF MQ  Post #: 14
5/24/2008 21:49:19   
_Depression

You are very welcome, Affliction. =)
AQ  Post #: 15
7/4/2008 22:09:48   
Corrupted Paladin

Thanks! I wasn't approved, then I looked at your guide, Grafh didn't answer yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be! :D
Post #: 16
7/5/2008 23:52:00   
_Depression

Good luck! And be sure to consult Part II when you do get accepted!
AQ  Post #: 17
7/6/2008 22:29:17   
Corrupted Paladin

Not approved, accidently forgot to use the images that are pulled out of photobucket.
Post #: 18
7/7/2008 9:33:13   
_Depression

Ahh... well, you're not the first. Good luck this time, then! =)
AQ  Post #: 19
8/4/2008 16:04:40   
Demosthenes

Just one small thing. While yes, the images you critique are randomly generated, they're based out of a limited pool. So technically, it's very possible for two people to have the same image to talk about. I'm not advertising cheating, but it's still highly possible to just reword what someone has said, especially if they have a reference to which tags they're referring to.
AQ  Post #: 20
8/5/2008 14:49:36   
_Depression

I understand that, but I find that, by saying the images are random and that a cheater will get caught, it may deter some potential cheaters. Granted, I'm not sure if anyone really reads this, and even then, people will cheat anyway, but it's better to address it than let it sit.

There's really not much that can be done to counteract the cheaters, except to hope that in the Gallery they learn how to critique. I'll let Grafh deal with the cheaters, and I'll stick to helping the ones who look for it.

=)
AQ  Post #: 21
9/30/2008 20:12:50   
Steel Fire

I know this is kinda a stupid question, but, what is CC?

Graph did not approve me, and said i need to work on my CC.
So i wanna do my best and get in.

~S
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 22
9/30/2008 20:41:57   
ShyTrake

CC meens Constructive Criticism, you need to critisize the image Graph gives you.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 23
1/20/2009 0:20:18   
Quick Taco

CC is kind of tough, but this guide helped me understand it better, so just maybe I might become an Approved Artist. Thanks for the guide _Depression.

AQ DF MQ  Post #: 24
1/20/2009 7:53:29   
BadHulk

I had a quick question(As I see this is mostly for Picture gallery's):

Does this work the same for the Multimedia and still need to show 2 pictures or do you need to add 2 clips.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> [A RisingStars Tutorial] - Tips for the Approval Thread and Beyond!
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition