Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

[GIMP] Persuading GIMP problems

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> [GIMP] Persuading GIMP problems
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/15/2008 23:22:06   
Forever1712

Ok.....I don't know where this belongs, but does anyone have any persuading tips for me so i can persuade my dad to let my download GIMP?(he might get mad if i keep asking a lot).
AQ  Post #: 1
3/15/2008 23:39:33   
4jj11
Banned

well idk...maybe just do alot of work, good grades, ALL homework. and tell him it is free, and show him what people make with it.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
3/15/2008 23:40:58   
Forever1712

I'll try that.....I just asked him at least 30 minutes ago, and he sounded a little irritated when he said no.
AQ  Post #: 3
3/16/2008 2:24:34   
Trip

uhh its free, Wont take up that much of memory, many people use it and comes out great.
all i can think of :\
Post #: 4
3/16/2008 4:45:40   
zenron the great

What I can think of is:-

• its free
  • dosen't contain viruses
  • GIMP stands for GNU image manipulation program(just to know it isn't ctually called GIMP)
  • won't take up much memory
  • show him this thread.
DF  Post #: 5
3/16/2008 8:40:19   
Bling bla

Hmm, tell him that:

It is like a photoshop but is free and easy to learn
It can be used to edit photos or make images
It improves your skills about digital artistry
It occupies small space in your memory and is worth the space
Show him this thread, just like what ZTG said
Show him also the Signature and Art Requests Section where GIMP is mostly used for some examples
Post #: 6
3/16/2008 13:11:20   
Bone_funny

free,no viruses,lots of people use it,easy to learn,fun,outcomes great
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 7
3/16/2008 13:22:43   
.Silver

2 main things
GIMP=Free
GIMP=no viruses
AQ DF  Post #: 8
3/16/2008 13:45:31   
Mc_srewball
Banned

It's also one of the best 'image manipulation'/digital art programs on the net.
AQ DF  Post #: 9
3/16/2008 16:00:53   
Forever1712

I have an idea.......what if i could ask him on my birthday to download it?
AQ  Post #: 10
3/16/2008 16:07:04   
LightningIsMyName

Do this:

security: GIMP is made by GNU organazation which means it's known in public, and have no viruses
Price: it's free
Abilities: right now it's the only free alternative to photoshop so if he doesn't want to spend 600$ to make you happy he can just download this
Usefulness: you will be able to edit family photos in order to make birthday cards, calenders or just enhance important moments
Also, if someone is a photographer or likes the subject (hopefully your dad) you will be able to help him fix his work

Educational: it's better then playing violent games on the internet
Learning: GIMP has an advanced scripting engine - most people learn to use it to help their graphic abilities so this will improove your thinking, logics and programming abilities

GIMP get's updates all the time to make sure it's safe and matches your operating system
Can convert between an insane amount of different filetypes, and can also do batch conversions (I'll provide some batch scripts if necessary)

EDIT: i also asked this for my birthday and got it - it's the best solution for parents since it costs nothing and make their kid very happy

< Message edited by LightningIsMyName -- 3/16/2008 16:14:25 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 11
3/16/2008 17:51:04   
Forever1712

Thanks a lot LIMN.

< Message edited by Forever1712 -- 3/19/2008 18:17:31 >
AQ  Post #: 12
3/16/2008 17:55:20   
.Silver

thats what LIMN do he helps us nooblets
AQ DF  Post #: 13
3/19/2008 18:11:52   
Strawberryluvingciss

Did you say please? (I know this might not work, lolz)
DF  Post #: 14
3/19/2008 18:17:15   
Forever1712

Your not supposed to be spamming.
AQ  Post #: 15
3/19/2008 19:40:42   
relykswalton

M'kay, guys.

GIMP is a free image editing program.
Gimp is what the majority of people here use.
Gimp is not as good as photoshop, imho.

Now, I don't know if any of you have ancient computers, or just don't know that much about computers.
But GIMP is a very small program. I was able to get it down to about 40 MB, a year ago when I still used it. You don't need to worry about it taking up space unless you have a very old computer.
As for the psychological effects, let's not go into that. You don't need to worry about it. I'm sure some of you take FOX's perspective on anything related to the internet, but please. It's not a big deal.

Lightning:
I would like to respond to a few of your comments.

security: GIMP is made by GNU organazation which means it's known in public, and have no viruses
- GNU is a license, not an organization. It's about free software.
Abilities: right now it's the only free alternative to photoshop so if he doesn't want to spend 600$ to make you happy he can just download this
-It's not the only free alternative to photoshop.
Educational: it's better then playing violent games on the internet
-This is a bit extreme, that doesn't really relate. Even AE games are more violent.
Learning: GIMP has an advanced scripting engine - most people learn to use it to help their graphic abilities so this will improove your thinking, logics and programming abilities
-Not really. To an extent, but so will everything else in the world. And it won't improve your programming abilities, trust me. Heheh.
GIMP get's updates all the time to make sure it's safe and matches your operating system
-Yeah, if it's an exe it runs on windows. "matching your OS" doesn't really mean anything.
Can convert between an insane amount of different filetypes, and can also do batch conversions (I'll provide some batch scripts if necessary)
-Eh, can do just a few more than MS Paint. If you don't count native filetypes, it's about the same.

Kids, if you want to try Gimp, just ask your parents. I don't think it's a big deal; and I don't think it will be with your parents.

Back to the original question, anyways.
"Ok.....I don't know where this belongs, but does anyone have any persuading tips for me so i can persuade my dad to let my download GIMP?(he might get mad if i keep asking a lot)."
First off, I don't see it as a big deal. Has he said no multiple times? If he has, then you've probably asked too much. Once is really all you need, pestering never gets you anywhere.
Try asking him. I'm sure he'll support your interests. You can tell him you like art. I mean, you have the right to follow your 'dreams'. If it's something you want then go after it.

So, anything else you want to know about it? I don't think there's anything else I need to say here.

< Message edited by relykswalton -- 3/19/2008 19:48:24 >
AQ  Post #: 16
3/19/2008 20:48:02   
Mo

rely, the new versions of gimp take roughly 16mb. Not 40. And on topic, the way I got my dad to believe it was by showing him what people did with it, and the site itself. And now, I randomly show him some stuff that I made
AQ MQ  Post #: 17
3/20/2008 7:16:02   
zenron the great

I didn't even tell my mum and dad. I have my own comp.
DF  Post #: 18
3/20/2008 10:13:17   
.Silver

quote:

ORIGINAL: zenron the great

I didn't even tell my mum and dad. I have my own comp.

hehheh i dont tell'em either but im on the family comp so its a little harder but im homeschoooled and my sibilings go to school so i have no problems :D
but if you do want to get it and if you download stuff from deviantart.com(brushes etc.)always scan it for viruses just a tip
AQ DF  Post #: 19
3/20/2008 19:17:18   
Strawberryluvingciss

Try to ask him really nicely(parents) and try to sound nice.
DF  Post #: 20
3/20/2008 22:42:09   
Forever1712

Rely,if you r referring "kids" to me,im not a kid.
AQ  Post #: 21
3/20/2008 23:07:13   
relykswalton

Forever-
I'm not referring to you in particular. I'm reffering to the younger people on this forum(AKA "Kids")
I was assuming that the OP (thread started) is a kid, considering that he is asking for help on asking his parents if he can install gimp.

Mo-
I took into account all the brushes, etc. I had with it before. And I'm sure now it's smaller, I haven't used it in about a year.
AQ  Post #: 22
3/20/2008 23:08:08   
Bone_funny

tell him why u want it,then show him what ppl can do with it.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 23
3/20/2008 23:08:46   
Forever1712

um...excuse me,but i start this thread,I'm not a kid,and i'm a "she."
AQ  Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> [GIMP] Persuading GIMP problems
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition