Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

In memory of Falerin

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> In memory of Falerin
Page 1 of 41234>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/28/2019 3:07:23   
damonraven

I usually take things posted on reddit with a pinch of salt, but a user who claims to be Falerin's RL wife has posted on the AQ reddit that he has passed away:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AdventureQuest/comments/cijn4u/it_is_with_great_sorrow_that_i_must_announce_that/

Please read Cray's official announcement here. ~Zyrain

< Message edited by Zyrain -- 8/26/2019 15:35:40 >
Post #: 1
7/28/2019 4:25:27   
Lord Noonien Soong

Guess there's a possible grain of truth to it. Seems he was a William E. Donges III, and the birthday matches up with his profile.

Assuming that this is valid it truly is sad to lose such a key member of AQ Classic and AE's history and hopefully he passed in peace. I wonder what the circumstances were?
DF  Post #: 2
7/28/2019 5:53:13   
  Zyrain
The Arcane

The entire community has been shaken by this very sad news. The AdventureQuest that we love would not be the game it is today without Falerin's incredibly creative mind. Falerin was an integral part of the AE team, the forums and the community from the earliest days of AdventureQuest - he will be sorely missed, and we ask that you keep his family in your thoughts.

Artix has been in touch with Falerin’s wife and AE will be helping the family in any way we can with the arrangements as they move through this difficult time. Flowers will also be sent from the Artix Entertainment team. AE will be making an official announcement to commemorate and recognize him and his contributions.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
7/28/2019 8:21:40   
stratuscone

:'(

i was not ready to read stuff like this today, but man is it really disheartening. i too grew up in the devourer saga and fal's stories, which kinda makes him a really important part of my AQ experience. he brought so much depth and wisdom to his stories.

my thoughts and prayers to his family, may you carry on through this hard time and may Fal's soul BATTLEON!

*kneel*

< Message edited by stratuscone -- 7/28/2019 8:35:58 >
AQ DF  Post #: 4
7/29/2019 2:57:53   
SIGMUND

Falerin will be missed.
We lost another legend with his passing.

My sympathies to his family and friends.
AQ  Post #: 5
7/29/2019 3:10:15   
Glais

Such a shame. He was a very talented and dedicated writer. Even if I never played the original AQ much, I thought about the sheer scope of his writing almost constantly since childhood. He influenced a lot of people in a positive way and I wish his family the best in light of such a tragic event.
DF MQ  Post #: 6
7/29/2019 3:25:15   
AliceShiki
Helpful!

That's truly sad to hear... I just hope his family can cope with it somehow... Those are horrible news.
AQ  Post #: 7
7/29/2019 12:44:17   
JanusHoW

A shame I wasn't around to know him that well. Still, best wishes to his family and loved ones.

The pen is mightier than the sword, and it also doesn't shred the paper.
AQ  Post #: 8
7/29/2019 17:53:51   
Lorekeeper
And Pun-isher

Ladies and gentlemen, players and fellow staff members, companions all in our virtual journey:

It is with great sorrow that I share this announcement with you.

For those unaware, Falerin was the Loremaster for AdventureQuest for many years, writing such great storylines as the Carnax saga, the Devourer Saga and the many stories branching from it, such as Bizarre Flecks, Dracopyre Legacy (Including the Hall of Memories), and many more quests. He was also influential in the creation of the Truphma saga’s lore, an essential part of the creative process of multiple writers, and a creative wellspring that would inspire years upon years of content for the wonderful world of Lore.

Were one to write a shallow eulogy, one could end this announcement by expounding on his commitment to the mindset of turning any liability into an asset. But Falerin had an uncanny ability to sometimes know us better than we knew ourselves — To see in us what we would not, and believe in what we could be, no matter how many setbacks we suffered, or how many steps back we took. So on behalf of the AdventureQuest team, it is my distinct honor to tell you what he really meant to so many of us.

After all, the Loremaster and his grieving family deserve so much more than so trite an enumeration of accomplishments and traits to commemorate his passing. Along with our support in this most trying of times, his memory and loved ones deserve a celebration of his life, and of the impact it had on so many of ours.

A loving father and husband, legendary Game Master, glorious cook and insightful mentor, Falerin was also a friend and teacher to many of us. Even as his heart weighed heavy with sorrow, he was so often able and willing to make us smile and learn. So vast was his creativity that he did not only populate our shared fantasy world and create many of his own, but he ignited that very drive in others. He sparked the imaginations of many and inspired the creation of world after world beyond the boundaries of his own writing; a wonderful and still growing universe of untold pages with his memory at its heart.

He was a sincere believer in the importance of the bonds we share throughout any distance, refusing to treat the virtual world as trivial or immaterial, as any less real than the physical one, when so much true emotion is invested in its enrichment. He explained that such a trivialization would be blind to the power of the imagination and the mind. About his commitment to this endeavor, he once said to a friend: “If I have lived any life fully, then I have lived.”

So as he was such a pivotal part of our Lore and of our many worlds — both of our stories and of the world that is each of our hearts, we can say with the utmost gratitude that Falerin lived. And he lives on in each individual touched by his stories, as well as everyone whom he sincerely believed in, even when we had not yet learned to believe in ourselves.

Putting any remaining professional distance aside, I would like to share that I was one such person. Falerin was the first major influence on my writing, and the man who believed in my potential enough to be validated in seeing me take this position after so many years. Talking to him again after a decade, he was still every bit the same mentor figure who could as easily wax philosophical as he could paternal.

When I joined the team, I chose the title of Lorekeeper in homage to his work and impact. It is with a heavy heart that I now retain the name in memory of it.

Jonathan Swift once said that vision is the ability to see the invisible. Per these words, all too fitting when remembering his ability to see the good and the potential in those he met, Falerin was a visionary. So, as a closing statement, allow me to offer you a vision in honor of the Loremaster’s memory:

Ever onward, ever upward. Let us all live as he knew we could. No matter how rough life gets, no matter how many mistakes any one of us has made by this point, or how many we make in the future — And believe me, I have made my fair share —, Falerin firmly believed that we can realize our potential and make a positive impact. And if we make a habit of following that teaching, then no amount of setbacks will keep us from making this great teacher proud.
Post #: 9
7/29/2019 18:05:06   
Xplayer
Roaming the Web

Although I never had the chance to work with him directly, Falerin's storytelling had an incredible influence on me. The Devourer Saga was a story I had followed from the very beginning, and my first real exposure to a long form interactive roleplay of its kind. The story inspired me to dive deeper into this community which has impacted my life in countless ways. Whenever I saw him interact with this community; it was always with genuine passion of story and character.

He will be genuinely missed, but his legacy will live on in the stories he told and the people he inspired. May he rest in peace.
AQ AQW  Post #: 10
7/29/2019 18:06:14   
Conspiracy

Gone at such a young age. I (and thousands of others) grew up reading his stories for the better part of a decade, more or less. Very sad news.
AQ  Post #: 11
7/29/2019 18:19:33   
kors

Yeah.... I loved his stuff but man. That just hurts even though I don't play nearly as much anymore. He was one of the people that first inspired me to write thanks to his own amazing story lines.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 12
7/29/2019 20:19:41   
Kilvakar

I...really don't know what to say, this comes as quite a shock, as I'm sure it did to everyone. As someone who started playing Adventure Quest right around the time the Devourer Saga was getting started, Falerin's writing has been a part of my life for over a decade. Thank you for your inspired words, Cray. May we all remember him and honor his legacy as we continue to journey in the wonderful world he helped shape. My deepest condolences and best wishes to his family and friends. He may be gone, but he will never be forgotten! Wherever you may be watching us from now, Loremaster, Battle On!
AQ  Post #: 13
7/29/2019 22:55:13   
AliceShiki
Helpful!

I honestly don't know what more to say at this point, it's hard to articulate how much Falerin's stories mattered to me, and how much these news shocked me, it was a far larger blow than I expected to receive when I never even talked to him.

Hearing more from the people that actually knew him only makes me appreciate all the hard work he put throughout the years even more... He was truly a great man, and I can only hope he could live his life without regrets.

For me, he was a major influence that made me realize how much I love stories and that also pushed me towards a career in writing that I'm trying to pursue... I can't thank him enough for all that he has done for me, even if we never met our talked to one another.

I'd like to close this small message by replying to a specific part of Cray's post on his beliefs.
quote:

He was a sincere believer in the importance of the bonds we share throughout any distance, refusing to treat the virtual world as trivial or immaterial, as any less real than the physical one, when so much true emotion is invested in its enrichment. He explained that such a trivialization would be blind to the power of the imagination and the mind.

Hearing this kind of thing just makes me even sadder I never had the opportunity to interact with him, for I couldn't agree more. As someone that went through 2 different Long Distance Relationships and that has all of her closest friends as people she met online, I definitely believe in the importance of bonds made regardless of distance... Just because there is a screen between us, it doesn't make our relationship any less real.

His story may have ended, but the stories he made will forever live on in my and in many others' hearts, may them give birth to lots of wonderful new stories.
AQ  Post #: 14
7/29/2019 23:12:59   
Kaworu

I’m sorry for all of his family and friends and for all of battleon.
AQ  Post #: 15
7/30/2019 4:02:04   
Sqwall

Truly horrible news His stories are in deed great and brought so much to AQ...Hope whoever comes after would aspire to such great quality.

On a side note - it's great that the staff are helping his family however it is not from the employer that the appreciation of a writer's ability comes - where it truly comes from is all the people who's souls his writing has touched and the lives he has hopefully changed for the better trough his work.

I say this to AQ staff - think of a way how the players who love his work so much could make donations to help out his family - whether a separate site or whatever method there is for that. Two years back i lost 3 members of my family in 1 year so i know all too well how taxing those events are (and not only mentally but financially as well). So please - make it so those who appreciated his art could help out as well.

Rest well Falerin, you will be missed.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 16
7/30/2019 8:41:30   
weatherseed
Ribarg!
Contest Winner

Very sad to hear. I can't say I've been the most active member of the community and was gone for a large part of when Falerin's works were released, but he will be missed all the same. Was he the first staffer to pass away?
AQ  Post #: 17
7/30/2019 14:14:24   
Sano

OH wow! So there is truth to it.

It is very unfortunate to hear that he has passed away, and may this difficult time pass with relative ease on his loved ones
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 18
7/30/2019 14:37:04   
theosenia

This is so sad! I really don't know what to say...he WILL be remembered with love!!!
...My condolences and my deepest sympathy for your loss...
AQ DF AQW Epic  Post #: 19
7/30/2019 19:12:17   
Macho Man

Oh my god. Fal was probably the main reason why I loved AQ as much as I do. His storytelling was amazing and he kept me so invested in it. I remember trying to decipher his cryptic words and then getting my mind blown by the following release. This news hits me hard. Thank you Fal for everything and my thoughts are with his family and friends.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 20
7/31/2019 6:45:00   
Phlox Lover

in tears after reading that. his art has changed the lives of many for the better. may we quest on well in his honor.
Post #: 21
7/31/2019 8:21:11   
Eldron

To everyone who posted here:

Many do not know that in RL I, Eldron the Good, am Falerin's father. I have had the honor and privilege to see him grow and change over his short lifetime. He was truly a remarkable individual. I will miss him terribly.

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. As long as we remember the words, deeds, and stories Falerin will live on. Let us say not that Falerin has died or passed away, let us say that he has moved on to a high, better plane.

Battle On my son.
Post #: 22
7/31/2019 9:36:03   
stratuscone

@Eldron - we are with you, through and through, may Fal be blessed by Lorithia herself. He will truly be missed :"(
AQ DF  Post #: 23
7/31/2019 10:33:34   
badboyhe

I knew Eldron and Falerin were connected in some way but never imagined I'd find out like this.
He'll live on with the rest of us.
AQ  Post #: 24
7/31/2019 10:56:40   
Solar Boy
Vorpal Edges Biggest Fan!

That’s an absolutely massive bummer. As an artist myself, I’ve always been drawn more to the visuals of AE’s games rather than the writing. The vast majority of my time on these forums was spent in the Gallery. I was originally drawn there by legendary artists like The Hollow and especially ReverendWyrm who served as massive inspirations to young me. I didn’t stick my head into Legends & Lore too too often, but I know for a fact that Falerin was to many young writers there what Hollow and Wyrm were to me. So thanks for being an inspiration, man. And the Carnax saga too, good times there, hehe. :(

Battle On forever.

< Message edited by Solar Boy -- 8/1/2019 19:30:11 >
AQ AQW  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> In memory of Falerin
Page 1 of 41234>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition