Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=DF= February 14th Design Notes: Hero's Heart Day 2020: The Monster and the Tower

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= February 14th Design Notes: Hero's Heart Day 2020: The Monster and the Tower
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2/15/2020 1:25:05   
  Jay
Marauderator
🧭

quote:

Verlyrus
Heart-Shaped Cat

Hero's Heart Day 2020: The Monster and the Tower

Hey there, heroes!

This year's Hero's Heart Day release is here! Falconreach's Guardian Tower is under attack from a giant sea monster, and Big Daddy needs your help!

Do you have what it takes to help out the Guardians and Big Daddy with this massive problem?

Play this year's Hero's Heart Day quest from the Hero's Heart Day Storybook to find out!

Also this week, changes have come to Pandora's Gauntlet and more!
  • A solo Pandora fight has been added to Pandora's Challenge. Completing this will allow you to access the chibi cape shop and the merge shop.
  • A solo Pandora Extreme fight has been added to Pandora's Challenge. Completing this will allow you to access the Pandora's Scythe shop.
  • The No Heal challenge has been removed, and completing the gauntlet as such will not provide access to Pandora's Scythe. (If you cleared this previously, you wil still have access to the shop).
  • A badge has been added to the Book of Lore. This Badge is earned by completing Pandora Extreme, or will be unlocked if you have completed the previous No Heal gauntlet challenge.
  • The number of Fragments of Woe required to forge the 7 Spirits trinket has been reduced to 5 from 10.
  • The drop rate of the 7 Spirits trinket has been increased significantly.
  • Pandora's Scythe now has a 5% on-hit special to increase damage of that hit by 20%.
  • Heart's Whisper now has a 5% on-hit special to reduce both your enemy and your Avoidance by 50 for 3 turns (including turn used).
  • The Elpis cape now has non-cosmetic stats.

Have feedback about today's release, or the game? Having trouble with any fights? Want to discuss all things DragonFable?

Join the discussion on the official forums!

Want to play DragonFable without using an internet browser?

Check out the Artix Games Launcher!

Follow us on Twitter for sneak peeks and updates (and feel free to tweet us your fan art and feedback too!)

Verlyrus Twitter

Tomix Twitter

Tags: Verlyrus
DF  Post #: 1
2/15/2020 3:13:45   
Flabagast

spoiler:

I guess even ancient sea monsters need that special someone on Heroes' Heart Day huh?

Also... Did Big Daddy always have wings? I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering he's a little.. love cherub...person... thing.

I'm definitely motivated to get that Corrupted Seven chest open now. Thank you for these changes!

Emergency edit: AAaagh I forgot it was your birthday Verlyrus! Happy belated! : |

< Message edited by Flabagast -- 2/18/2020 2:51:09 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
2/15/2020 4:55:20   
Dratomos
Helpful!

Very enjoyable release, I liked that quest a lot. Storybook quests are usually one of my favourites.

And big thanks for hearing our feedback! Pandora seems much more interesting now and that EX version is a Epoch-killer.
DF AQW  Post #: 3
2/15/2020 14:58:03   
Ultima29

Has anyone beat pandora EX
Post #: 4
2/15/2020 16:39:50   
mahasamatman

I was actually disappointed, as from what Big D said I expected a survival challenge (survive X turns against the monster without killing it), which would've been interesting.

Oh well. Still a good release.

His followers called him Mahasamatman, and claimed he was a god.
He never claimed to be a god, but then, he never claimed not to be a god.
Circumstances being what they were, neither admission could be of any benefit.
Silence, though, could.
DF  Post #: 5
2/15/2020 17:28:57   
TFS
Helpful!

Loved this release! The complexity + difficulty of Pandora EX makes it extremely fun to fight and map out, and it feels very rewarding to defeat. Finally, a fight where the mechanics of the corrupted seven synergize with each other andget a chance to shine

Also, happy birthday, Verlyrus!
DF  Post #: 6
2/15/2020 17:39:25   
Ultima29

I like post nerf pandora it was fun
did anyone beat it pre nerf though

< Message edited by Ultima29 -- 2/15/2020 17:41:46 >
Post #: 7
2/15/2020 18:16:44   
Caesaris
Void Walker

Big Daddy sure is a mad lad, spill the beans, your Celes--!

also thanks Verly for the recent changes on ExPandora and happy bday! :^)

< Message edited by Caesaris -- 2/15/2020 18:18:44 >
AQ DF AQW  Post #: 8
2/15/2020 18:29:47   
Marthe

I'm very happy about the Pandora EX fight (even though it means I had to buy my friend 20k DCs because of a bet I made), because it's such a mechanically interesting and difficult solo fight. It's also really nice to be able to admire her animations, which are gorgeous. Elpis getting stats is really nice as well - another thing to carry in my inventory. One thing I do wish, though, is that guests were banned from the challenges inside the box. It was stated last week that they should've been banned from the gauntlet, and I'm still hoping that ban will come through.

On the subject of Hero's Heart Day, it's a pretty neat quest. There's not all that much more to say. I like the appearance of the weapons. I get kind of annoyed at really long unwieldy staves, and this one is baton-sized. It's cute.

< Message edited by Marthe -- 2/15/2020 18:30:15 >
DF  Post #: 9
2/15/2020 18:44:48   
Pelly2500

First of all Happy birthday to Verlyrus! I liked the HHD quest, very charming! I also think that the changes made to the Pandora challenge make it much more rewarding and enjoyable. You dont have to go through all 7 spirits before fighting her if you don't want to which makes learning her rotation and skills much less frustrating.
On a side note is Underworld Epoch in it's final state or are there still changes to come?

< Message edited by Pelly2500 -- 2/15/2020 19:16:02 >
DF AQW  Post #: 10
2/15/2020 19:35:06   
  DemonicDarkwraith

ArchKnight DragonFable

Really cool release. The HHD release was wholesome, but the real meat of this release was the Pandora changes and the extreme version. Pandora feels like fun since it finally utilizes the mechanics of the previous Corrupted Seven compared to last week's, which I forgot to mention that she feels more a victory lap than an actual threat. This feel that you need to memorize a lot, but very rewarding once you get the picture. As for the extreme version, everything goes up to eleven as your debuffs will go against you and honestly makes Ancient Duo and Unraveler EX makes a run of its money of becoming the hardest fight in the Inn.

Also, Happy birthday, BoxCat!
DF  Post #: 11
2/15/2020 20:38:08   
FMan

Awesome release.
Now I do have motivation to finish the gauntlet. Really into the trinket.
The hero's heart day quest was enjoyable too.
Post #: 12
2/15/2020 22:09:12   
Kurtz96

Haven't had a chance to fight Extreme Pandora, what changed? Is it just higher damage/more health or are there mechanic changes?
Is there any RNG (from Pride) in the fight?

< Message edited by Kurtz96 -- 2/15/2020 22:10:38 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 13
2/16/2020 1:15:27   
Raphael 777

A new inversion and reversion mechanic. One gives her a bunch of buffs while the other one puts the debuffs given to her back to you (at least, that's what I think they do). Well, you can now check the DF Encyclopedia for info about her if you're planning to fight her EX version.

< Message edited by Raphael 777 -- 2/16/2020 1:38:32 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 14
2/16/2020 7:41:19   
TFS
Helpful!

quote:

Haven't had a chance to fight Extreme Pandora, what changed? Is it just higher damage/more health or are there mechanic changes?
Is there any RNG (from Pride) in the fight?

The biggest change is that Pandora EX will alternate between Reversion (standard) and Inversion attack phases in addition to cycling between the passive mechanics of each of her children. The Reversion phase uses the same offensively-oriented mechanics as regular Pandora, while the Inversion is more defensive and trades off damage for healing. There's no obnoxious RNG; the fight is tough but fair.

quote:

A new inversion and reversion mechanic. One gives her a bunch of buffs while the other one puts the debuffs given to her back to you (at least, that's what I think they do). Well, you can now check the DF Encyclopedia for info about her if you're planning to fight her EX version.

When she reverses a debuff, she'll invert its effects for the duration of the inversion phase. So if you, like, try to put -50 Boost on her during an inversion phase she'll instead recieve +50 Boost. She'll only invert status effects that result in an increase to her stats, kind of like how Greed chooses which status effects to steal. Given this information, you'd think it would be a good idea to just not debuff her, right? Think again, if she doesn't have any debuffs to invert upon entering an inversion phase, she'll instead gain a massive HoT; so you're forced to keep feeding her, kind of like Gluttony. Managing Inversion is a trade-off where you have to decide which kind of buff is going to provide the least amount of benefit to her next attack phase; don't give her offensive buffs on offensive phases like Pride, and don't give her defensive buffs on defensive phrases like Sloth.

This is easily the most complex boss in the entire game and I love it. There's so much going on to map out and experiment with, it's a lot of fun to play through. The combination of complexity and difficulty means you'll have to learn and memorize a LOT if you want to conquer this last boss, and as someone who loves this kind of stuff this release is very, very satisfying.

< Message edited by TFS -- 2/16/2020 7:42:26 >
DF  Post #: 15
2/16/2020 12:09:55   
spirit of greed

Nice release even if it's a very short one. First of all when i saw the picture for this quest i totally thought we get to fight with the dead Dracolich bone corpse which crashed in the dock during the Final 13th war way back in book one. I was excited but also confused what does that has to do with love? XD
spoiler:

I hope we see the monster couple later as allies. Imagine how much of a help they could be. Also i'm curious if we meet with another one of them leter on. We never meet them before but Big Daddy found one pretty fast so i'm curious if there's many more of them out there? So long we got Cathul and these old monsters from the sea. I'm excited to found out what else creatures live at there waiting.

I'm still (and probably forever) hoping for a Hero's heart day event with Lust as a villain, she was born (rather created lol) for it. She's the perfect main villain for Valentine. Like Greed was for Mogloween and Gluttony is for Thankstaking, Wrath for Frostval etc..

Anyway maybe it's just me but Hero's heart day as event is kind of ignored in these years. Either not getting a quest or only getting a short one. I get that Mogloween and Frostval is a bigger event because the holidays are which they are based on is big ones. I also understand that DF is a small game with limited resources and a small staff but i still can't help thinking that HHD can be a big event too.

The fact that all quests are comedy ones always bothered me a little. Like i know it's about love but love is not always a beautiful thing. Sometimes it's ugly and dark (rejections,unrequited love,obsession etc...).

Anyway sorry if it sounded like whining. Again i loved this release, it was something new and i loved the monster design pretty much.

< Message edited by spirit of greed -- 2/16/2020 13:59:12 >
DF AQW  Post #: 16
2/16/2020 18:11:37   
Sneevillord

@spirit of greed
quote:

Like Greed was for Mogloween and Gluttony is for Thankstaking, Wrath for Frostval etc..

Frostval at yours must be something to behold! I really like the idea of elemental spirits for each holiday, though Greed was knocked out in his first innings
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 17
2/17/2020 6:33:06   
Raphael 777

Finally managed to defeat Pandora EX. This is one beautiful scythe and I love the added on-hit special ability. Failed several times because I keep messing up and losing track on the turns. Was really nerve wracking when she was left standing with 300+ hp. Good thing my dragon and Sir Leon took care of that last bit.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 18
2/17/2020 9:07:36   
spirit of greed

quote:

Frostval at yours must be something to behold! I really like the idea of elemental spirits for each holiday

Well ever since we first meet with the corrupted spirits i had this idea about spirits being the main villains for each holiday:

HHD:Lust
Lucky day:Pride
Moogloween: Greed
Thankstaking:Gluttony and Sloth
Frostval:Wrath and Envy

In fact when we first saw Lust at the end of the part 1 Tomix storyline i was 100% sure we get her as villain next HHD lol

quote:

though Greed was knocked out in his first innings

Greed took over Falconreach, brainwashed everyone even the sisters, got a new body and we only could defeat him because Tomix helped us. His boss fight was easy (unfortunetly) but i think it's because it was made in 2009, boss fights was way easier back then not like now (mana sucking things, corrupted dragon amulet). Overall i think Greed was a good villain for Moogloween back then, not a super threat but still a threat what almost destroyed Falconreach.

DF AQW  Post #: 19
2/19/2020 1:26:07   
Primate Murder

Finally finished all the Snugglefest quests and got to the Monster and the Tower!

You know, if the Guardian Tower is now fully repaired (and is it me, or is it a little shorter than it was before?), when will the Guardians actually get around to kicking out Zorbak and settling in? It's been awhile since he settled in, after all.
AQ DF  Post #: 20
2/20/2020 10:52:00   
BluuHorseOfficial

I really liked the HHD release. It was a fun light-hearted quest and felt nice to play through. I hope the Guardian Tower finds love someday, though...

On another note, I absolutely love the Pandora Ex fight. It's such a well designed and complex fight in which you have so much to learn about and design your rotation based on. Having to know about the gimmicks of each phase and the cycle of Inversion and Reversion made you wary of what you want to do next. I had a lot of fun brainstorming ways to do it with Eternal Epoch and I managed to succeed without Food, Extra Potions, Guests, VIK/Hamstorm, or a lucky proc on Dragon Fumes! This was genuinely a fun fight and I felt really accomplished on beating it, and I really hope we'll have lots more fights like this in the future! Kudos to Verly for designing such a nice and fun fight!

On another note, however, I think that the healing during the Sloth phase is a bit much. 20% every 12 (?) turns is a bit much and it would be better if it was bumped down to 15% or something, but it's been done with BSW despite this so it isn't absolutely necessary or anything.
DF  Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [DragonFable] >> DragonFable General Discussion >> =DF= February 14th Design Notes: Hero's Heart Day 2020: The Monster and the Tower
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition