Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

DEX's style bonus

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> DEX's style bonus
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/17/2024 12:16:28   
Sapphire

Each of the 3 main Archtype's style bonuses were created to help separate the identities as well as allow them to crossover to hybridization. INT and STR as implemented accomplished this. However, DEX's did not.

Here's what I mean:

The INT style bonus is clear. Wallbreaker provides a damage boost to any element sub-100%, with a greater ROI the closer to 0 you go. This works for spells only and is always there... and works for any STR+INT or DEX+INT hybrid.

The STR style bonus was more damage and the counter-strike effect. So this exists always for anyone with sufficient STR training, and it works for STR+DEX and STR+INT hybrids.

However, Proc Mastery was DEX's style bonus. This provided a scaling damage bonus to only proc'd damage. This creates 2 issues:

1. 0 Proc Ranged weapons gained absolutely nothing. 0 proc weapons are the META for offensive gameplay.
2. The scaling damage from proc mastery doesn't make any sense. Special damage already scales based on rate.. The result is lower style bonus the lower the proc rate goes.

The end result is Rangers don't have an always-there style bonus, when Warriors and Mages do. Using a 10% proc weapon means that Ranger isn't getting the full 15% same for any weapon type outside bows/guns. Some have argued that the STR+DEX hybrid has zero synergy or reason to hybridize in this fashion.

So this needs to change in 2 distinct ways:

1. Change the proc mastery damage bonus to be +15% regardless of rate. 5%, 10%, 15% 20%--->100% all get +15%. Remove the convoluted and lack of common sense scaling formula that still makes non 100% rate proc'd specials bad and doesn't actually give rangers the full style bonus that they should have.
2. Add proc mastery to 0 proc via a +15% melee EFFECT buff to all 0 proc weapons that have an effect. This includes damage scaling, as well as other New age procs that are on newer weapons. (See Nickelclad, eternal champ weapon) and can include effects such as what trickster's weapon has, etc. You could possibly also allow imbue'd effects on weapons to work.

By changing proc mastery in this way, it solidifies it in such a way that there is the +15% in much more of Ranger gameplay than it is currently, and it actually makes using 10%, 20% procs much better . They already scale based on rate, so IMO it makes zero sense to also scale the style bonus too.

While using 0 proc weapons w/o any effects would still be the lone instance that there is no style bonus, the changes outlined above will make for a much wider allotment of the style bonus allocation considering INT's and STR's are essentially always there. This still wouldn't be completely equal and fair, but it would make the style bonuses more fair in implementation.

Locked. Your assumptions are incorrect. 100% proc weapons get +15% bonus all the time. A 20% Proc weapon always gets a ~10% boost on its special whenever it procs. No DEX Style Bonuses for 0 procs is fully intended. ~ Ward.

Edit 2: Unlocked and shifted into GD.
1) Your assumptions are factually incorrect. See above.
2) This isn't a Game Balance issue as it is more about the Stat Identity, which I felt was fully discussed and fleshed out during the week of extremely intense debate. Regardless, you are free to discuss it. ~ Ward.

< Message edited by Ward_Point -- 3/17/2024 21:44:42 >
Post #: 1
3/17/2024 12:23:25   
Dreiko Shadrack

Note: STR's damage component of the style bonus only works on direct weapon damage, it specifically ignores weapon specials and bow type attacks, it can hardly be argued that it exists "always" for warriors if you're using any weapon that isn't 0 proc. Likewise the style bonus for INT only exists on spells of which you're only expected to cast 4 over the span of 20 turns.

The inclusion of a nebulous concept as what's "META" is entirely opinion based and not actually relevant.

AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
3/17/2024 21:46:07   
CH4OT1C!

This is trying to solve a non-existent issue.
  • Warrior's style bonus doesn't apply to Weapon Specials, Bow-type attacks, or spell-type attacks. The Warrior's tower demonstrates such spell-type attacks exist
  • Mage's style bonus doesn't apply to Weapon type attacks, weapon specials, or bow-type attacks, and only applies to spells if they fall below 100% resistance.

There's scope to discuss whether we should relativise the boost to the rarity of the special (right now, a 20-proc only gains e.g., 10% damage 20% of the time, whereas 100-proc gets 15% 100% of the time) but the central point used to justify the proposed change is incorrect.
  • AQ  Post #: 3
    3/18/2024 10:38:04   
    Sapphire

Fair.

But the fact still does remain that the Ranger isn't getting their style bonus on the same consistent level as the others. At minimum, it should be the same boost on every weapon special. If you want to keep it to specials only, then it should be the entire style bonus to all specials.

< Message edited by Sapphire -- 3/22/2024 7:45:42 >
    Post #: 4
    3/18/2024 12:43:10   
    Dardiel

I do feel that on the hybrid front it feels a bit off for STR+DEX to not work together, especially since INT gets the "gimmick" of being able to hybridize to ignore its attack damage reduction; there's more benefit from going INT + anything hybrid than going STR+DEX hybrid. Not that there's necessarily a ton of options for fixing that, but I do think it's relevant when assessing style bonuses as a way to promote hybrids.

Eg mages deal 75% weapon damage, getting another mainstat means they're getting 100% plus a style bonus for 15% - putting them at +40% relative to their baseline. Meanwhile STR+DEX have non-overlapping bonuses, so they're at a constant 20% via the 5% bonuses from each (mini caltrops and BtH) and the 10% that's applying to whatever weapon is being used.
    Post #: 5
    3/18/2024 13:15:54   
    Sapphire

Also, I completely disagree that meta is not relevant. The style bonus as it is currently applied, Not only is it inconsistent throughout all weapon specials, but the nature of weapons with specials is already less attractive than zero proc. The end result is catering to the bow user and nothing for the full offensive ranger who will not be using weapons with specials. While that may not change if they corrected the bad implementation of scaling the style bonus based on special rate and make it a universal boost, at least it makes using weapons with specials more attractive, especially if staff designs some of these weapons in such a manner that actually makes it more attractive. You also have the new age special that does not require additional animation, but rather it's a proc within the normal damage that seemingly has gone unaffected and I believe that that type of special needs to be included. For example, if the ranger uses the nickelclad weapon and it gives a baseline heal per hit, and then also has a special that boosts the heal... Then in my opinion, the dexterity style bonus should give that special boost an additional plus 15%. It's a special. It's just a different type. In addition to that, while it's not quite as much power as hybridizing from a mage baseline, it would provide some better reasons to become a warrior ranger hybrid because then they could choose weapons that specifically gained this type of boost. For sure meta matters. You've given a style bonus to a weapon type nobody uses, and it's not even the full bonus. Hilarious

< Message edited by Sapphire -- 3/18/2024 13:37:09 >
    Post #: 6
    3/18/2024 14:38:21   
    Ogma

STR+DEX hybrid pro/con:

FD + Melee:
    * (STR Base) Warrior Lean (so you can use 0% proc, +9% weapon damage, for *1 outgoing damage rather than *0.8)
    * (STR style) +10% weapon damage
    * (STR style) Counterattack
    * (DEX style) +4.25 BTH
    * Because of Warrior Lean, you can use weapon skill without damage penalty from armor's lean.

FO + Melee:
    * 0% proc (+9% weapon damage)
    * *1.25 outgoing damage
    * (DEX style) +4.25 BTH
    * Weapon skill synergize even better

FD + Ranged:
    * 100% proc (+5% weapon special damage and dealing 100% regardless of armor lean)
    * (STR style) +10% weapon damage (I believe that special benefits from this too right?)
    * (DEX Base) Adaptive BTH
    * (DEX style) +15% weapon special damage
    * Spell type skills are favored

FO + Ranged:
    * 0% proc (+9% weapon damage)
    * *1.25 outgoing damage
    * (DEX Base) Adaptive BTH
    * (DEX style) +4.25 BTH
    * Weapon skill synergize even better

Is this advantages summary for each type correct?

Also got several questions while writing this, does STR's counterattack (use weapon's type) interact with DEX's adaptive BTH?
    Does DEX's style make proc weapons (20% or less, ranged or melee) worth using in FO?
    DEX's adaptive BTH "freeze" when not using ranged, so technically you can use ranged weapon to gain good BTH/damage ratio then switch to melee weapon?

< Message edited by Ogma -- 3/18/2024 15:18:54 >
    AQ  Post #: 7
    3/18/2024 17:17:37   
    Grace Xisthrith

I think if we're talking about style bonuses goal of giving stats unique identity and encouraging hybridization more than was previously the case, it's worth stating that:
    STR does the same exact thing with or without its style bonus when picked alone. It does not gain a new identity. Warrior lean opens up the identity, but that is not the style bonus. There is further motivation to hybridize with INT as Dardiel pointed out, but as various players have pointed out, none with DEX.
    INT's style bonus does nothing to encourage hybridization for the vast majority of players (I'd struggle to believe anyone is excited enough about getting placebo boost on STR or DEX scaling spell type skills). INT was already an option to hybridize because of the MP bar, the style bonus does next to nothing to encourage hybridization. It also does nothing to build INTs identity, but that's okay, because INT was the one stat staff believed already had an identity, so didn't need changing.
    DEX's style bonus boosts Proc weapons and gives BTH. There's what I'd assume a very small fraction of people taking DEX to get 4.25 bth, just like there were what I'd assume a very small fraction of people taking strength pre third revamp to get 5% damage. This isn't in my books motivation to hybridize. Bonus damage to weapon procs, given there are no melee 100 Procs, and every magic 100 Proc released in the last year (with the exception of the 2 most recent ones) is a clone of a mathematically superior DEX 100 Proc, there is not motivation from the style bonus to hybridize.

I want to respectfully critique the initial locking of the thread, and its current location in general discussion. First of all, Sapphire's base statements about DEX are correct. His assumptions about warriors always getting 10% damage and Mages always having access to Wallbreaker are not, but his statements on what DEX currently does are, and those are the cited reasons for locking the post. As a forums user, I'm a little confused about that. If it was locked for some other reason, that would be different, but the listed reasons for locking the post seem entirely incorrect.
    Secondly, I can't see why this thread is in general discussion. It's a discussion about suggested change to game balance of a specific game mechanic. GBI would seemingly be the only correct place for it to be. Again, I'm confused about this choice. One could argue it isn't mathematically involved, I would counter that the last 4 GBI posts (as of this message) contain little to no accurate mathematical information in their first posts. As such, I think this post should be moved back to GBI, and I think that future posts should be much more carefully read through, and if they are to be locked, locked with the actual reasons for the locking listed, rather than reasons which by my best reading, don't apply to the post.

To the topic though.

As for saying the meta doesn't matter, that's a valid point, the devs shouldn't pander to the meta with every update. That being said, I'd argue that for STR, they weakened the style bonus to have a part of its power unaffected by lean and unable to stack with other boosters (backhand), so they were considering the meta with that. For INT, they weakened the style bonus to be mathematically super underpowered, and only applicable in relatively niche scenarios, so that it would be decisively unmeta. For CHA, they weakened booster guests directly by decreasing their average output by 1/6th compared to every other guest which stayed the same. So, the meta was definitely considered in style bonus design, from my perspective.

Building on Dardiel's point, the only stats that you had almost no reason to hybridize with pre revamp were STR DEX. The only stats you have almost no reason to hybridize with post revamp are STR DEX. This is a failure of that initial goal of encouraging hybridization. I personally don't think that's a bad thing, since getting free power outside of item variety with hybridization is kinda powercreepy, but it's a point to be made.

Ogma: You've got some good parts, I'm gonna note some parts where I think you made a mistake.
    FD Melee:
    All true, but all of these are true without DEX and with only STR, barring 4.25 bth.
    FO Melee:
    All true, but again, all of these are true without DEX and with only STR, barring 4.25 bth
    FD Ranged:
    10% weapon damage is not active on weapon specials / bows. Also you have an extra +5% weapon special damage here from somewhere, unless I'm misunderstanding.
    FO Ranged:
    Yes, they'd benefit 10% damage and 5% counterstrike from having STR.

DEX's style bonus does not make 20 Procs worth using in FO. 20 Proc specials deal 150% melee, and gain a 10% boost. Since they proc every five turns, you get 15/5% melee per turn, or 3% melee. This is before accounting for losing your FO armor lean, and before accounting for losing your 1.08x damage multiplier.

I think if they wanted to make DEX style bonus more interesting, they could have its damage bonus applied to proc weapons / proc chance. IE, a 100 proc would get 15%/1, a 20 Proc would get 10% / .2. This would make the style bonus actually beneficial for sub 100 Procs. If they don't want super massive procs, they could instead apply a boost to all attacks with the proc weapon, specials and normal attacks. This would make 20 Procs theoretically optimal for FO rangers, and FO ranger / warrior hybrids, since these hybrids would now actually want to use normal attacks. I don't think it's a great idea because it's more abuseable though, I'd support the randomly strong special procs much more than this other iteration.
    AQ  Post #: 8
    3/18/2024 19:24:42   
    Sapphire

Most definitely locking that thread and the reasoning behind it is questionable. And having it in general discussion is also questionable, but at least it was unlocked.

To me, if we are to honestly call this proc-Mastery, then it should be boosting all proc'd specials to the point that mathematically speaking, using these types of weapons are actually optimal. It already was/is for bow users, but it isn't for the old school special. It would actually create a more inconsistent damage identity compared to the warrior's consistent damage identity.

But again, I also think it should apply to 0 procs with the new age special and have it boost the power of whatever effect is there, since typically it's effect based procs. These changes would still be less "there" than what warriors have.

Then we'd need to see some item support in the form of damage boost misc, for example, that only boosts specials. Or an armor that has a special booster, etc designed for Rangers. This doesn't detract from anyone who wishes to use bows or 0 procs, it just creates a wider swath the style bonus comes into play.

And IDC what anyone says, meta matters. Creating a style bonus that all FO rangers aren't even using isn't a style bonus. Their isn't enough motivation to use the style, because the old school style weapon with the special fell out of favor ages ago. It's a faux bonus outside bow usage for the majority of players. Yeah, you could hop in some beast form or zerker or wingweaver/trickster which all enhance everything weapon-wise, but that's a feature of the armors, not the style bonus.
    Post #: 9
    3/18/2024 19:33:54   
    CH4OT1C!

quote:

Fair.

But the fact still does remain that the Ranger isn't getting their style bonus on the same consistent level as the others. At minimum, it should be +15% on every weapon special. If you want to keep it to specials only, then it should be the entire style bonus to all specials.

This is incorrect. Mages only receive their style bonus if the use a spell (1/5 turns assumed) and only if using it to strike against sub-par resistances, which is a far smaller niche than whether or not weapon has a special. Your proposed solution is also mathematically inaccurate; you would want to boost damage by +15*log(Proc%)/log(100)/([Proc%]/100) to normalise properly.

I agree with @Dardiel that more support for STR/DEX hybrids is needed. We're past the point of fixing style bonuses, but item-based support is definitely an important area for future work.

quote:

First of all, Sapphire's base statements about DEX are correct. His assumptions about warriors always getting 10% damage and Mages always having access to Wallbreaker are not, but his statements on what DEX currently does are, and those are the cited reasons for locking the post. As a forums user, I'm a little confused about that. If it was locked for some other reason, that would be different, but the listed reasons for locking the post seem entirely incorrect.

To justify a DEX style bonus rework on his basis would also necessitate reworks of the Warrior and Mage style bonuses because they possess the same unevenness. This is obviously not possible, meaning another justification is going to be necessary to explain why DEX needs the change but it's fine for Warrior and Mage to remain as they are.

< Message edited by CH4OT1C! -- 3/19/2024 16:14:08 >
    AQ  Post #: 10
    3/19/2024 15:18:37   
    Grace Xisthrith

You have responded by quoting my talking about the reason for locking the thread. With that being said, I can't tell if you actually disagree with my analysis on my perceived mistake in locking the thread, since you don't mention the locking, and instead attack other points of Sapphire's post, which aren't relevant to what I've said in that text you quoted me from. If you do disagree with my view on the thread movement, I can restate the points in another way, if it was too confusing the first time. That being said, I'm not really too bothered about it, since there are many threads and few moderation hours on payroll, I just wanted to bring it up to hopefully see if I was mistaken, or if someone else was mistaken, and the thread could be moved back to GBI
    AQ  Post #: 11
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Artix Entertainment Games] >> [AdventureQuest] >> AdventureQuest General Discussion >> DEX's style bonus
    Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
    New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
    and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
    PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition