Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Flash Q&A Thread 4

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> RE: Flash Q&A Thread 4
Page 16 of 30«<1415161718>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/5/2007 16:12:13   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

flsg: i'm not taking any chances, mostly becuz, the second i send or even type anything abouyt my game on this forum, the info oficily b longs 2 AE

Sig deleted.
Post sig only once per page.
Post #: 376
11/5/2007 19:34:35   
flsg

quote:

ORIGINAL: somebody621

Aren't variables declared with var deleted after the frame? Also, it can't be stressed enough that the main game code should be on ONE frame (unless you need to spread work over multiple frames or you know what you are doing).

Done some work recently, but haven't gotten to uploading yet because photobucket... yea...

no, variables declared with var on any frame belongs to that clip's scope
but I DO disrecommand declaring variables in a frame other than the first one

< Message edited by flsg -- 11/19/2007 20:31:43 >
AQ  Post #: 377
11/5/2007 20:08:13   
EragonZZZZ

SirSchmoopy, AE is running three immense game projects right now, maintaining a minigame site, managing a forum, and directing a full-length animation on top of who KNOWS what else.

I highly doubt they're going to really cause you any trouble there.
AQ  Post #: 378
11/6/2007 17:54:10   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

yuh never kno, besides, what's a variable scope nyways????

Sig deleted.
Post #: 379
11/6/2007 18:34:00   
EragonZZZZ

ergh, and now you have a game thread with positively nothing in it :\
come on man, how are you going to run a game without posting anything on the forums? dude.
AQ  Post #: 380
11/6/2007 19:16:55   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

fine, check in a day and there ll be my game
in the emkty thread

Sig deleted.
Post #: 381
11/7/2007 20:07:42   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

ok, duz any1 need help? if noot can any1 help me on shop system? i made it subtract munny and i made munny that u can get, but when u spend it, im not sure whut to do next.....
Also Helping!!!!!(wow i said that too many frickin time!)

< Message edited by SirSchmoopy -- 11/13/2007 19:56:11 >

Sig deleted.
Post #: 382
11/15/2007 15:51:22   
flsg

wow calm down, and stop saying system please, if you consider something as small as exp or money increase/decrease a system, then you'll get lots of trouble making your game lol
I also don't understand what you mean, if you're not sure what to do next, at least tell us what you WANT to do next XD

BTW, Eragon: are you finished with your AS2? Come to AS3 with me and somebody man lol
In order to encourage you, I remade one thing in my gallery into AS3, now be amazed by AS3's speed...lol
AQ  Post #: 383
11/15/2007 15:56:02   
EragonZZZZ

Erg I CAN'T be finished with AS2 as I don't OWN CS3 nor can I purchase it yet. :P

I'm sticking with Java for now, will start AS3 when I have access to it.
AQ  Post #: 384
11/15/2007 16:43:01   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

quote:

ORIGINAL: flsg

wow calm down, and stop saying system please, if you consider something as small as exp or money increase/decrease a system, then you'll get lots of trouble making your game lol
I also don't understand what you mean, if you're not sure what to do next, at least tell us what you WANT to do next XD

BTW, Eragon: are you finished with your AS2? Come to AS3 with me and somebody man lol
In order to encourage you, I remade one thing in my gallery into AS3, now be amazed by AS3's speed...lol

The reason im saying please so much is becuz iv ben asking for so much lately, and iv been sorta annoying.... also, all i want to do is make it so u spend ur muney, then the attack appears in the attack screen, that's it.

Sig deleted.
Post #: 385
11/17/2007 14:24:55   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

can any1 tell em whuts wrong with these codes?
on (release) {
_root.pos = sharedobject.getLocal("game");
_root.pos.data.levelXP = _root.levelXP;
_root.pos.data.HPmax = _root.HPmax;
_root.pos.data.level = _root.level;
_root.pos.data.EXP = _root.EXP;
_root.pos.data.seed = _root.seed;
}

on (release) {
_root.pos = sharedobject.getLocal("game");
_root.EXP = _root.pos.data._root.youm8.EXP;
_root.HPmax = _root.pos.data._root.youm8.HPmax;
_root.seed = _root.pos.data._root.youm8.seed;
_root.levelXP = _root.pos.data._root.youm8.levelXP;
}

Sig deleted.
Post #: 386
11/17/2007 16:10:59   
flsg

doesn't sharedobject takes caps?
and the second code is weird
AQ  Post #: 387
11/17/2007 19:27:46   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

howz the 2nd 1 weird?

Sig deleted.
Post #: 388
11/19/2007 3:41:03   
Taerzik

Greetings everyone.
I need some help, preferably of the tutorial kind but anything will do.
I need to know how to set up the basics for an online multiplayer Flash game. I don't need nitty-gritty details but I do need some advice on it. Also, here's one that's bugging me: writing to a file on the host server to update player info.

I've figured out how to send data to the server and I'm thinking that I can use an actionscript file to process it and write to the storage file, but, how do I get the script to update the storage file so that it over-writes obselete data correctly?

Like I said, anything will help. Also, please PM me if you respond to my question.
Post #: 389
11/19/2007 6:05:27   
The Illusive Man

Would this be massively multiplayer? Because that is very hard indeed. And especially hard to make it work well. It's well out of my ASing league. To be honest, you'd be better off asking a pro
Post #: 390
11/19/2007 15:20:37   
Taerzik

No sweat. Actually, I went hunting and came across something in the older flash tutorial posts that might propose a solution: the SmartFoxServerLite. I haven't looked into it much yet but apparently the lite version is free and the site says that there are tutorials to help get started.

Anyway, we'll see. If it works out I'll post some stuff on it here.

In answer to your specific question, yeah, my project is meant to be more than just a mulitplayer environment but less than an MMO.
Post #: 391
11/19/2007 15:47:41   
The Illusive Man

i see. I havent heard of this smartfoxserverlite, but guessing (being a webmaster myself), you'd have to actually own a server box. This isn't going and buying freewebs premium either. Neither is it going to a site like streamline.co.uk and buying hosting there. This is the full deal. The £50 a month deal. Full server control. Unless you can get a dedicated internet connection to your server. I wouldn't use your current because it slows it down. It's a horrible ordeal and most ISPs don't allow it.
Post #: 392
11/19/2007 16:23:22   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

i kno wut ur talking about, goto gotoandstop.it(its a website) and there is a multiplayr section.
i posted the code from the smartfoxserver onto the forum, however dont try it, its so confusing.

Sig deleted.
Post #: 393
11/19/2007 18:17:28   
EragonZZZZ

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirSchmoopy

howz the 2nd 1 weird?

its like _root.whatever._root? dude...not possible and with all those '_' object references, that's incredibly messy code that's a pain to debug :P

EDIT: and just because it confused YOU (or me or flsg or whoever) doesn't mean you shouldn't use it, btw.

ALSO, bad news if you want to work with the lite version, the most you'll ever get out of that is a few simple chat rooms, let alone a MMORPG or whatever.
Plus, I'm not certain if they've been ported (they being SmartFoxServer) to AS 3.0, which is the kind of speed you'd need for a MMO-Anything. I'll get you more info as i recall it.

< Message edited by EragonZZZZ -- 11/19/2007 18:45:28 >
AQ  Post #: 394
11/19/2007 18:26:14   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

quote:

ORIGINAL: EragonZZZZ

quote:

ORIGINAL: SirSchmoopy

howz the 2nd 1 weird?

its like _root.whatever._root? dude...not possible and with all those '_' object references, that's incredibly messy code that's a pain to debug :P

EDIT: and just because it confused YOU (or me or flsg or whoever) doesn't mean you shouldn't use it, btw.

but u and flsg are the best flash users i kno! so if u guys dont knbow it, then who would?

flsg: whut does flsg mean, does it stand for anything? I think it should be Flash Loving Scripting Guru. Tell me whut u think.

Sig deleted.
Post #: 395
11/19/2007 18:46:53   
EragonZZZZ

Didn't say I didn't know it, I was just making sure not to single YOU in particular out, I was showing how 'you' referred to any person whom I might be addressing.
Although I don't know it and I've never needed it and thusly haven't tried to understand it xD
AQ  Post #: 396
11/19/2007 19:06:59   
somebody621

SirSchmoopy: Dude, you shouldn't put code on movieclips- its just a pain...
Put your code on frames instead. I personally think _root everywhere in your code is just ugly. Use with() or tellTarget()(faster) also when accessing a target multiple times (Don't know really how to say it lol)

Taerzik: Wow, another flash user here that knows his stuff! Greetings!
And besides Smartfox, there's electroserver as an alternative...

And some quick thing I threw up.
1000 things on the screen at once. It's kinda slow though...
Post #: 397
11/19/2007 20:31:31   
flsg

SFS is better and easier to use, and electroserver costs way too much
the lite edition allows 5 ppl's connection max I think, I tried to just build a chat socket and I failed badly lol
it's really complicated

somebody621: half frame speed for me, ouch

My flash gallery
my game thread

flsg, proud old member of AQ(still playing :O)
AQ  Post #: 398
11/19/2007 21:07:36   
somebody621

Both demo versions allow 20 connections max.
And electroserver is about the same price as SFS Pro if you convert the currencies. I still like SFS better though

For my example, most of the problem is not the rendering, but the math. I could use faster integration algorithms that are not as flexible, as the example uses VERY primitive physics, but verlet is by far one of the easiest to handle and code. It was a quick prototype >_< Don't get on me too much lol. And for 1000 objects where they are spewed out with random angles (means a sine+cosine has to be calculated for each one, as just choosing random x and y velocities would produce a different result), it's not THAT slow... I can probably speed it up a lot though.

I agree... socket servers are above my head. Maybe I'm just too lazy to figure them out. I've LONG given up on multiplayer stuff.

Post #: 399
11/20/2007 0:57:01   
Taerzik

Wow, thanks for all the responses yall!

Anyway, here's the latest: SFSLite says that it hosts up to 50 connections simultaniously. It should be just about what I need. I've downloaded the server and (finally) figured out how to launch it but I've hit a snag. When I load up the 'start' file it can't find the 'SmartFoxServer.class' file. I know that file is at where it's supposed to be. I think the problem is in the path designated by the 'start' file but I don't know what to tell it to solve the problem. RRRRRGH!!!
Anyway, thanks again. If anyone has a bright solution for this dimwit he'd like to hear it.

4 SB621: Hrm, I wouldn't mind trying electroserve but the mac download page is broken so... until it's fixed I'll have to wait.

Edit: I have since found a fix for my loading problem. The server appears to be working just fine.
For those who are interested in learning about socket connections, just read EVERYTHING in the Flash help files about handling external data. That should get you started.

< Message edited by Taerzik -- 11/20/2007 1:20:01 >
Post #: 400
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> RE: Flash Q&A Thread 4
Page 16 of 30«<1415161718>»
Jump to:

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition