Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Flash Q&A Thread 4

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> RE: Flash Q&A Thread 4
Page 18 of 30«<1617181920>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/25/2007 21:21:29   
EragonZZZZ

...uh....while I'd love to lie and say I do, I don't know any web-based programming languages/markup languages/style sheeting-things.

No html, no asp, no CSS, no pHp. meh. Gotta learn soon.
AQ  Post #: 426
11/26/2007 16:06:05   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

Oh, kk.
btw anyone who knows: how do i make a shop thingy in my game?

Sig deleted.
Post sig only once per page.
Post #: 427
11/26/2007 16:08:53   
Darklord517

SirScmoopy, i dont think "shop thingy" describes the concept very well. I understand that you want us to help make a Shop Engine. However you probably want us to just give you the code, let you copy and paste it, then you can say you did it.

You need to sometimes try it yourself. If it doesnt work, try again. Thats how i got my walking engine first walking.
AQ DF  Post #: 428
11/26/2007 16:12:59   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Comrad D

SirScmoopy, i dont think "shop thingy" describes the concept very well. I understand that you want us to help make a Shop Engine. However you probably want us to just give you the code, let you copy and paste it, then you can say you did it.

You need to sometimes try it yourself. If it doesnt work, try again. Thats how i got my walking engine first walking.

I don't like getting excact code. I hate getting exact code! I just wanna know how i do it. I tried making a movieclip that was plain forst frame, but filled second frame, then converted to a button, but that didn't work:(. i'v tried making the alpha 0, then makig the alpha 100 when u bought it, but that doesn't work either!

Sig deleted.
Post #: 429
11/26/2007 16:14:33   
Darklord517

For what?

For a weapon?

Idk try doing something with the parameters and variables so that when an item is "bought" then that item is set to play(); or whatever. Its been a while since ive done AS however that might work.
AQ DF  Post #: 430
11/26/2007 16:31:08   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

thanks m8, but its turn by turn
i dont know if thatll work
ill try thanks m8

Sig deleted.
Post #: 431
11/26/2007 17:36:24   
EragonZZZZ

Erg, I can't answer your questions because you don't code anything similar to the way I code and I STILL haven't figured out what you're asking :\

Sorry man, I want to help, but I just can't ahha.
Nothing personal.

I'd suggest taking a step back and learning Object-Oriented Programming. That could make your game a lot simpler to code.
AQ  Post #: 432
11/26/2007 18:32:08   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

1.what's object orienting?
2.how do u code diffrntly?

Sig deleted.
Post #: 433
11/26/2007 21:48:41   
flsg

SirSchmoopy: sorry but what are you trying to prove here? lol XD
basically you just wrote a sentence
AQ  Post #: 434
11/27/2007 4:34:47   
Taerzik

oooooohhh....*sighs* Ok, helps here please: I need to be able to call a videoclip instance via a function.

here's my problem:

I need to call the instance by using a variable that holds it's name. I can use the variable to name the instance when I create it but not to call the instance.

like so:

player = "User"
... //other code
attachmovieclip (Avatar , player, _root.getnexthighestdepth)
player._x = 500
player._y = 300

Therein lies the trouble. The instance is created but it can't be called by using the variable that holds it's name and I have to use a variable to get it's name in the first place. Any ideas?
Post #: 435
11/27/2007 18:03:47   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

quote:

ORIGINAL: flsg

SirSchmoopy: sorry but what are you trying to prove here? lol XD
basically you just wrote a sentence

whut am i trying to prove, why d u think im trying to prove something?(not sarcastic!)

Sig deleted.
Post #: 436
11/27/2007 21:17:53   
EragonZZZZ

Object Oriented Programming is a style of programming revolving around bits of memory with specific 'functions' called objects.
Google it.
AQ  Post #: 437
11/27/2007 21:23:07   
flsg

SirSchmoopy: well you just wrote like 3 lines of ASP code to write something on the screen...so I didnt get what you're trying to prove lol

Taerzik: first of all, you need to use _root.getNextHighestDepth(), which the caps, and the () at the end, maybe you did
second, you can't use player._x blah blah blah here, because here flash considers "player" as the INSTANCE NAME of a movieclip, not a variable of the same name
in AS2, you can use :_root[player]._x=500

it should work. BTW, _root["player"] is the same as _root.player. but _root[player] is not. It reference a variable.
AQ  Post #: 438
11/27/2007 21:25:40   
Jadugarr

Can someone recommend something somewhere that can teach me the basics of AS 2.0?
DF MQ  Post #: 439
11/27/2007 21:27:22   
flsg

Jadugarr: kirupa.com
or buy any of colin moock's book

My flash gallery
my game thread

flsg, proud old member of AQ(still playing :O)
AQ  Post #: 440
11/27/2007 21:45:39   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

quote:

ORIGINAL: flsg

Jadugarr: kirupa.com
or buy any of colin moock's book

who said iWuzz trahin tu proov sumtin? i just wanted tp know if he culd elp meh since3 i heer he noz lootts of codin langugez

Sig deleted.
Post #: 441
11/27/2007 21:54:42   
EragonZZZZ

Dude i KNOW you like typing that way but can we please try clearer speech? when I'm tired it drives me nuts.

Nah, he wasn't trying to prove anything, he was just showing me basically what it was.
AQ  Post #: 442
11/28/2007 1:45:27   
Taerzik

Thanks flsg , I figured that was the nature of the problem but I didn't know how to do it right. I'm going to go fix it now.

Edit: That did it!

Edit2: Finally! I've been having a problem with player avatars messing up when new players enter the rooms. Turned out it was because I didn't call to the root for the sign-in text box's contents. I found this out by adding a text box to display player's names beneath them and kept getting "level0_undefined" for a name. Basically, because I didn't get the code right, the user's name wasn't being assigned at all. Anyway, a few more steps and I'll have working multiplayer operation!
(I actually HAVE a working multiplayer environment but I'm still trying to get visual representation smoothed out)

< Message edited by Taerzik -- 11/29/2007 23:10:18 >
Post #: 443
12/1/2007 1:05:48   
ll_BLACKPANTHER_ll

is there a tutorial that teaches how to color and shade in flash?

Please and Thank you!
AQ DF  Post #: 444
12/1/2007 3:48:52   
Darklord517

www.flashkit.com

I think thats it.

Its an incredibly detailed site with tutorials for virtually everything about Flash.

I suggest you go there.
AQ DF  Post #: 445
12/1/2007 5:46:58   
Taerzik

^
^Might try the art tutorials at NewGrounds.

I'm getting further along now. I'm having a problem getting the other player avatars to update their position and I don't know why... I'm going to go sleep on it. Wait, I may have just landed an idea.

< Message edited by Taerzik -- 12/1/2007 5:49:18 >
Post #: 446
12/1/2007 13:26:03   
Taerzik

Double post for attention +

I wouldn't have but I felt like sharing this with you. I've been having a problem with testing multiple users logged into my program at once. (see previous post) Now I know why. I was doing the compile/test thing and then opening an instance of the flash file separately (in Flash Player) to test two users on the server sending and receiving data. What I didn't know was that even when the window focus is on another object (like the flash file being run by the flash player) Flash itself is still listening for key commands. Thus when I had the second users window up and pressed a key, the first user (being run in test mode in Flash) would respond as if IT had been given the command as well. And here I thought it was a mistake all along in my code... oh well.
Post #: 447
12/2/2007 12:29:48   
flsg

Taerzik: are you good at AS? I'm asking ONLY because I want to know, it's not an insult

BTW, I added a handraw thing in my gallery, anyone wanna comment? XD

My flash gallery
my game thread

flsg, proud old member of AQ(still playing :O)
AQ  Post #: 448
12/2/2007 13:53:22   
TreadLight

I made a button from this tutorial here: http://www.lukamaras.com/tutorials/menus-interfaces/easy-pixel-buttons.html

When I tried to upload it, it turned out saying this: (I uploaded with .swf)

What am I doing wrong? What does it mean?
MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 449
12/3/2007 0:54:13   
Taerzik

Unfortunately I don't know what constitutes 'good'. I'm certainly not very experienced in AS, but I studied some Java previously and that helped me pick up other similar languages. I think I'm probably decent, but not 'fluent'. This that I've been working on is my first serious project in Flash. Previously I just read and practiced tutorials learning how to do the various things needed to make a game.
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> RE: Flash Q&A Thread 4
Page 18 of 30«<1617181920>»
Jump to:

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition