Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Flash Q&A Thread 4

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> RE: Flash Q&A Thread 4
Page 23 of 30«<2122232425>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/5/2008 7:28:50   
The Illusive Man

BR's right. You can only save one version back if you're going for backwards compatibility. It's lame
Post #: 551
1/5/2008 11:31:24   
flsg

mathus the seconth: sorry, I always forget to reply to your PMs XD
you can always save your file into an older format than the version of flash you have. For example, in flash MX 2004 you can save a file into flash mx, flash 5, flash 4..., in flash 9 you can save a file into any type of flash document, since it's the newest version. Just choose the type you want to save in the save window

Taerzik: one question, what server hosting site are you using? Or are you using your own computer(IIS) to host your files? Because I don't know a dedicated host which costs less than 100$ a month. Maybe I asked this question before, sorry I forgot the answer >_<
BTW, it still says connecting for me

My flash gallery
my game thread

flsg, proud old member of AQ(still playing :O)
AQ  Post #: 552
1/5/2008 14:56:23   
Taerzik

I'm trying to do the hosting myself. OSX comes with the Apache server built in. Unfortunately I seem to have missed a setting because no one seems to be able to connect.
Post #: 553
1/5/2008 21:31:09   
Jokerman

is there such a thing as a non 400$ flash system

My Non-Forum Gallery

If Abercrombie&Fitch said breathing wasnt cool 92% of teens would die in about an hour. post this in your sig if you would be the 8% laughing
MQ  Post #: 554
1/5/2008 21:33:03   
biG frend

Yes Its called A Student Package. Roughly $160 or £80.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 555
1/6/2008 4:17:49   
mathus the seconth

quote:

ORIGINAL: flsg

mathus the seconth: sorry, I always forget to reply to your PMs XD
you can always save your file into an older format than the version of flash you have. For example, in flash MX 2004 you can save a file into flash mx, flash 5, flash 4..., in flash 9 you can save a file into any type of flash document, since it's the newest version. Just choose the type you want to save in the save window

Taerzik: one question, what server hosting site are you using? Or are you using your own computer(IIS) to host your files? Because I don't know a dedicated host which costs less than 100$ a month. Maybe I asked this question before, sorry I forgot the answer >_<
BTW, it still says connecting for me

I can't seem to be able to save as flash 6 because it only gives me the option of flash 8 in CS3. How exactly do you save it as flash 6?
AQ  Post #: 556
1/6/2008 17:39:24   
EragonZZZZ

quote:

ORIGINAL: biG frend

Yes Its called A Student Package. Roughly $160 or £80.

That's your best bet. Technically you can't make money off it, but a 'donation' isn't making money, per se.... ^_^
AQ  Post #: 557
1/6/2008 20:33:33   
flsg

Jokerman: are you talking to me? XD
Taerzik: lol! You know what made me stop dreaming in creating a multiuser application? exactly what you said. It's super hard to configurate everything >_<
I even learned the SFS methods, events, properties by heart...what a waste
AQ  Post #: 558
1/8/2008 0:05:39   
Taerzik

Well, I'm looking into a possible solution to my current problem. According to Lap, the SFS Admin, some new security features have gone into place that may be the cause of my troubles. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a nice "Get your server up n 33 easy steps!" walkthrough available yet so I'm having to do my own research. Lord willing, I'll have an answer soon.
Post #: 559
1/11/2008 11:14:36   
KickingFriedCats

Theres this button everytime I open Flash 8(Just noticed it!), its called "Macromedia Flash Exchange".

Due to my curiosity, I was brought to this thread by some unknown force to ask this question. What does the button do?
AQ  Post #: 560
1/11/2008 16:16:42   
flsg

I've never used it, but I think it's an expansion for more functions
AQ  Post #: 561
1/12/2008 0:32:32   
EragonZZZZ

It won't break your Flash, just push it to see what happens. xD
AQ  Post #: 562
1/12/2008 8:51:39   
zenron the great

I haves a question

How do you make what your drawing on bigger? right now its at a default size so I can't draw anything thats quite big.
DF  Post #: 563
1/12/2008 11:01:50   
flsg

there'a zoom option at the buttom right corner of the time line, select a different percentage or enter one
AQ  Post #: 564
1/12/2008 11:05:06   
zenron the great

yah dosent matter. flsg I didnt want to zoom. I wanted to make the canvas bigger. Big told me before
DF  Post #: 565
1/12/2008 11:08:22   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

theres a little button thing on the botom of screen. clik it & change height or width

Sig deleted.
Post sig only once per page.
Post #: 566
1/13/2008 3:34:39   
Taerzik

Alright yall, I said I'd keep you up to date on my progress with my multi-user client and here it is: SUCCESS!!!
Follow the link banner below in my sig. and then click the half-moon icon on the right.

Yup, it was an easy solution too. I was having a problem with getting users to be able to connect to the game server; reason: new security measures in Flash. The solution is to serve the users a socket policy file when they try to connect, however it's not as easy as it sounds... but almost. The quick and easy solution is to initiate an XML socket connection via AS. In my case I had a special Socket Server running that they needed to connect to(SFS).

Here's how to do it with SmartFox Server.
1. Install/Setup your web server (a Web server not the SF server)
- The complexity of this process varies based on what server you use. Be sure to specify a port for your XML connection, probably a high numbered port.

2. Install/Configure SmartFox Server. It's not hard, be sure to configure the connection port and your IP number as per the instructions.

3. Get it all arranged and try to run the SF server. This is just a test. If something doesn't work then tackle the problem now.

4. If you don't have a 'working' multi-user game/app yet, get it ready. The folks at gotoandplay.com have lots of helpful advice, not to mention the examples that come with SFS. If nothing else, use one of the examples that came with the SFS files.

Ok, you're just about ready. Go prepare a 'crossdomain.xml' policy file. Poke around gotoandplay.com for details. Also, be SURE to use the link they offer that goes to Adobe's pages about the latest security measures. It's boring and technical but you need to read that stuff, well, about half of it.
The key to making the connection is to have your Flash file first make a generic xml socket connection, since the crossdomain policy file is (supposed to be) at the root of your server files, it auto-loads when a user makes an xml socket connection with AS to the default port (80 I think). Once that's been done, THEN make the SF connection and close the original socket connection. By that process your client can gain permission to connect and establish a connection.

5. Everything ready? Test it!
___A. Turn your web server on if it's not already.
___B. Turn the SF server on if it's not already.
___C. Try to run your file. If it works, put it on a web page and try it from there. (If it fails here then your crossdomain policy file is probably messed up)
___D. If everything looks good at this point, try to connect from a separate machine that's not on the same local network as the host machine. You may need volunteers for this part.

6. Congratulate yourself, go celebrate or something.

7. Ok code slave, party's over, back to the keyboard.

That's about it in a nutshell. It's taken me a few months to get this far but I worked very sporadically in little bundles of hours and only about once or twice a week at the most, maybe less. All told there's probably not even 48 hors of my effort in the thing so far. (And it probably shows.)

Anyway, the link is in the banner and through the half-moon icon on the right hand side.

< Message edited by Taerzik -- 1/13/2008 3:35:55 >
Post #: 567
1/13/2008 13:11:04   
flsg

very nice taerzik, really
congratulation
AQ  Post #: 568
1/14/2008 1:02:50   
Sledge Hammer

I just started working with Flash (takin a class) and I wanna know how to make a weapon. So can some1 make me a wicked looking schimitar and write me a tutorial so i can make the exact same thing? I just wanna get the hang of it...I want you to message it to me.
AQ  Post #: 569
1/14/2008 4:19:20   
Taerzik

Thanks flsg and anyone else that tested the client for me. From now on I'll be posting progress on my project under the GoCA itself. The thread is "MO client test, everyone welcome (...)".
There's a link there in the first post.

A side note - I just fixed the chat so it works now. Turns out I had been trying to 'fix' the wrong part of code all along
Post #: 570
1/14/2008 19:03:34   
SirSchmoopy
Banned Multi

taerzik - i tried it, it rox!!!

Sig deleted.
Post sig only once per page.
Post #: 571
1/14/2008 22:25:02   
flsg

we could perhaps make a project together, you and I...lol
I've always wanted to create a multiuser application but it's was too hard and expensive for me(still dont understand how you've done it)
AQ  Post #: 572
1/15/2008 4:28:35   
Zoltan

Flsg!

Hey,,, good to see a grizzled ancient Flash user still keeping the Flash Q&A thread in tact. You been working on any projects lately, or life only leaving you time to post replys?

Post #: 573
1/15/2008 10:46:46   
zenron the great

Ive got a question peeps...this will sound really noobie...

where do you put action script.

and what can you do with it
DF  Post #: 574
1/15/2008 18:31:23   
Taerzik

@Zenron: I'd tell you but anymore I just hit F9 to call up the code editor. Look it up in the help section.

@ flsg:
Hrm, good point.
Here's how I tackled the cost issue:

Web server - came with Mac OSX, built in. There are other free ones avaiable.

Game server - this is a virtual host running under the web server. I used SFS lite (it's free, limited but free) and well documented.

Flash - student version.

With the exception of Flash and my Internet (using roadrunner) connection, I'm operating free of charge. I'll upgrade to a higher verion of SFS when I have the money and enough people online to make it worth while.

In consideration, making the project was fairly easy... if only I had known what I was doing. The hard part was dealing with not-quite- explained issues. That's where this stuff gets tricky. At that point its sometimes 'try and see'... and hope you can remember what you changed so you can undo it if it doesn't work. The other thing was remembering to re-load the various apps and such when I made a change to see if they worked. If you don't remember to reload the web server after altering the configuration then the change won't work (But I KNOW I followed the directions precisely! Why won't it WORK !?!?!?)
Post #: 575
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> RE: Flash Q&A Thread 4
Page 23 of 30«<2122232425>»
Jump to:

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition