Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 9 - the Armour behind the Magic by Ronin of Dreams

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 9 - the Armour behind the Magic by Ronin of Dreams
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/17/2007 16:50:53   
Reens

quote:

The Armor Behind the Magic
A brief guide to the components of Armor
By Ronin of Dreams

Ah, it pleases me to find that you have returned to the Silver Stone Forge and to myself, Arcadius Corosco. Now in the past my lessons have briefly elaborated upon those methods with which smiths and artisans like myself use to create the curved blade of katana, the multi-pronged spearhead of a trident, and the heavy-handed mace. Today, my friends, I shall begin to diversify my instruction of the Forge Arts by focusing on the basic styles and materials of various armors; before I begin with the essences of forging them, though, I shall start with explaining the various components that can make up any given suit of armor.

Now even the most thread-bare and piecemeal set of rags can, by manner of chance or essence of luck, prove to turn a blade just enough to spare a man's, or a woman's, life. However, given my emphasis on the Forge Arts, please forgive my leanings towards describing those pieces born in metal design, and therefore named under metal's scheme. Many of these components do have the same name when made of leather, but cloth almost as a rule widely differs in name almost as much so as in fashion. Maybe another time I shall briefly lay out such differences in names, but for today, I hope that metal alone will slake your thirst for what knowledge I might pass on.

In all things, the mind is as key as the body, so I shall start with the protections surrounding the head itself and then descend along the body to describe each piece in turn. Upon the head, all manner of crowns, helms, and circlets may rest, made by order to be as stylized or as protective as the owner wishes, but do not think a crown of pure filigree would be pointless. Even the most decorative and thin circlet can still support the skull and keep a blow from splitting it. Sometimes even long enough to reach a cleric for healing, at that, depending on the blow. For those more paranoid or desiring to be more immovable than a mountain on a battlefield, a chainmail cowl or coif can be worn under a helm for just the slightest bit more protection of the head... and, more importantly, the neck as well.

From the neck to the shoulders, we are brought in our examination to the pauldrons. Do you think Artix himself would look the same as a paladin without them? Nay! For they, too, bring an essence of style and individuality alongside protection from the thick plate. Or, depending on the choice, thinner plates layered over each other along the curve of the shoulder. As for the bicep, simple plate armlets have been made on occasion as well, but more often the expanse between shoulder to elbow is more easily covered by a swath of chainmail which also keeps a fighter more mobile on the whole. Now, the lower arm has more options, partly dependent on their style of combat. Both vambraces, often with gauntlets attached directly to them, or bracers instead. The differences are relatively minor between them, with gauntlet attachment points and mobility of the wrist being the key difference in style. Archers, however, will always prefer bracers by design, given the trickery in aiming a bow, pulling the arrow, and not spoiling the shot.

Protection of the arms is all well and good, but is meaningless if the torso can easily be run through after all. For that, there is a wealth of armor varieties, many of which you already know about. The breastplate is a practical standard, whether or not it includes a symmetrical plate for protecting the back. A cuirass is similar on almost all fronts, being more a cultural naming difference than anything else I can tell, as the forging of one is inherently the same with the other. Hauberks manage the same, if being loose on the body as is chainmail's usual nature, and tends to be lighter to a degree. For the waist and groin, a solid tasset can turn a low blow meant to spill your guts and gizzards on the floor. Sadly, it is often ignored, being called the "armor skirt" after all... it seems to offend a few more "manly" types.

Below that, well, I did promise a full explanation of components, now didn't I? The legs are far from short of protection in the more complete suits of armor, and the thighs have their own component. The cuisse, despite its odd name, serves in function of design similarly to armlets but is forced to fit slightly more loosely given how the muscles of the thigh can bunch up in complex movements. The kneecap, like the elbow, does not have its own component per se, but attachments to cover the joint with an articulated armor plate is possible in both locations. Greaves are, again, fairly standardized and universal components to armor, much like the breastplate is by design. They can be made as part of the boot itself to cover the upper foot, and depending on what is desired, can wrap around the entire calf or simply provide protection for the shin as a standalone piece. Now if you would rather not wear a boot, a lesser known piece of armor called the sabaton can be slipped over a moccasin or shoe.

I thank you again for your time with me, and I ask you forgive my longwindedness this lesson. However, if I might just state one thing more, armor is best worn when it has been made and fitted specifically for the wearer. It can provide quite the immense protection, but an ill fit can lead just as easily to catastrophe as a lucky strike. While I recognize everything I forge can and likely is used in warfare, it still saddens me to hear of the deaths of both buyers and friends in such affairs. Take care, my friends, and please pay some heed to my warnings.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 9 - the Armour behind the Magic by Ronin of Dreams
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition