Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Flash Q&A Thread 5 - Flash Has Shares In Your Soul

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> RE: Flash Q&A Thread 5 - Flash Has Shares In Your Soul
Page 9 of 18«<7891011>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/14/2008 11:53:22   
tauguy

What would I put the variable in the dynamic text box as?
AQ  Post #: 201
7/15/2008 17:06:12   
flsg

check the changing variable of course.
In this case it's supposed to be num

My flash gallery
my game thread

flsg, proud old member of AQ(still playing :O)
AQ  Post #: 202
7/20/2008 3:44:07   
Taerzik

Hey all.
Been a while since I wandered into this place...
Anyway, I've got a couple fun ones for ya:

I'm trying to load one swf into another and somehow the thing keeps ending up magnified to it's maximum limit... by accident. I don't know what's causing it but it's like the height and width have been ignored. Any ideas?
Solved that one. Instead:
Is there a way to pass variables to an SWF that's been loaded into a clip? I'm thinking - 'clipname.variablename = value', and I'm going to go try it out right now, but just in case, anyone got a for-sure answer on this?
Nevermind, the Lord let me see that one.

The other issue is with cutting down on loadtime by loading only what's needed - which is what has caused the previous problem. I've managed to break my project into a few parts but I still haven't gotten around to dealing with the game parts. I think what I need is to be able to load external files containing artwork, code, arrays, etc. Any particular advice or pointers on that would be appreciated.

Give me a few more hours and I'll update the VSE system... no really new content yet but it looks alot sharper.
^ Done.
Oh, and Eragon - congratz on joining up with ROFL! I eagerly await the next one!

< Message edited by Taerzik -- 7/24/2008 14:29:59 >
Post #: 203
7/24/2008 16:39:23   
flsg

try loadVariable, loadVariableNum, etc

assuming you're using AS2

BTW what is ROFL(in your context)
AQ  Post #: 204
7/27/2008 17:01:59   
Awsome Teh Cake

I think he means the little animated web-comic in the multimedia section of the "Gallery", i think its short for called Reality of Fabulous Lore, or something similar to that...

Also, what are the advantages to having CS3, is it worth getting? I really don't wanna waste my money XD

edit: Woot, i just made a pause and play system from scratch, within a matter of seconds.....That was a bit....too....easy....lol

< Message edited by BeefStew -- 7/27/2008 17:14:18 >
AQ  Post #: 205
7/27/2008 20:56:48   
EragonZZZZ

Beefy called it.

CS3 -- advantage = AS3 + new animation tools?

But the main advantage is an easy way (if not the best-best way) to create and code in AS3.
AQ  Post #: 206
7/28/2008 22:46:40   
Awsome Teh Cake

Wait, are u saying that CS3 is better for animating, like if I wanted to make an animation, it would be better in CS3?
AQ  Post #: 207
7/29/2008 5:12:49   
biG frend

I think he means it adds more shortcuts to animating, e.g lazy tools like shape tweening.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 208
7/29/2008 7:48:15   
Awsome Teh Cake

Shape Tweening's also in Flash 8 pro, lol XD, I would know, cuz I'm that kind of a lazy animator XD
AQ  Post #: 209
7/29/2008 10:37:38   
biG frend

Yes I know it is. I use flash 8, I was just using it as an example of something that you would know about.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 210
7/29/2008 10:43:37   
Awsome Teh Cake

o, kk, srry, i misunderstood what u were saying
AQ  Post #: 211
7/31/2008 16:14:46   
ll_BLACKPANTHER_ll

Hello..I've got a question..

How do I link a button to an MC that's in a different scene?

I'm new to scripting and have been googling for a while how. Hope you guys can help :) thnx.
AQ DF  Post #: 212
7/31/2008 16:38:25   
The Illusive Man

You want it so that when you press a button, a movieclip that comes later in the timeline changes?

Only way i can think of is to declare a variable.

var myVariable = false;

and when the button is pressed

on(release){_root.myVariable = true;}

When it comes to the frame with the mc in it add this in the frame

if(myVariable == true){_root.mc.gotoAndStop(frame);}

That's all I can think of on the spot without you going into more detail
Post #: 213
8/1/2008 11:09:01   
Shattered Oblivion

Hey, I have a quick question regarding the pen tool. When I use it in Photoshop, it's easy to see where I can differentiate my pen tooling from shapes or from lines. However, I just downloaded Flash CS3 and I don't see an option to do shapes instead of just lines. I'm sure I'm missing it somewhere, so I'd be glad if someone pointed it out.
DF  Post #: 214
8/1/2008 14:19:04   
The Illusive Man

I think that's the white arrow tool. Click that and then click the shape.

I think that's right.

-A
Post #: 215
8/1/2008 14:33:00   
Shattered Oblivion

Alright, so I make a random triangle to see if it works using the pen tool. I click the white arrow (which says it is the subselection tool), and then I click on the shape, but it doesn't seem to give any options of filling the shape in whether I right-click or not. Is there another white arrow I don't know of here, or am I just looking for the option in the wrong place? Thanks so far, by the way.
Edit:

Hmm, scratch that, I guess I just fill in the shapes with the paint bucket tool. This works pretty well, except I run into a major problem (by the way, I have been looking at many tutorials, but they don't really help). Basically, I can't fill more then one part of a layer, it doesn't let me. For example, if I'm making a hand, it will let me color one finger but not the rest. I suspect this has to do with how I made the shape/lines, since I just pretty much, in the same layer, made a new pen tool and latched it on to the rest. I don't know how to fix this though. Thanks for all of your help so far ^_^

< Message edited by Shattered Oblivion -- 8/1/2008 17:48:56 >
DF  Post #: 216
8/3/2008 7:37:46   
Shattered Oblivion

Scratch that again XD I got around the problem. (should I just delete that post?)

Um, now I have another problem :P Annoying, aren't I? Anyways, I can't seem to change my animations when I create the animation symbol. I can do basic things, like moving the symbol around and whatnot, but not anything else because I need to double-click it again to be able to change points and whatnot. This creates a problem, though, since then I'm not in the animation symbol but in the "group", or whatever. I know I'm messing something up here XD Is there a way to either have what I do in "group" change what happens in the animation symbol without altering the previous frames? Because that's what happens. When I just do the animation symbol, it runs smoothly and all, but I can't change any points.

Help is appreciated :D
DF  Post #: 217
8/3/2008 8:04:25   
Tormenter

Whats a variable?
AQ  Post #: 218
8/3/2008 20:01:16   
Nicky

Variables are like pro-numerals in algebra (like, x, y, all those other things you use in equations and such). They are things that you can change through Action Script at pretty much anytime.

In your Action Script code you can create one using the basic syntax of:

VARNAME = VARVALUE

Orr, see Eragon's post a few below me. More advanced syntax :P

So if I wanted to make a variable called "nickyiscool" (Yeah.. first thing I could think of :P) and give it a value of "yes", you would type into your AS window, "nickyiscool = yes".

Once you have given it a value, you can call upon it at anytime in your AS code using the variable name (in this case, "nickyiscool"). You can even use variables in variables. So if you wanted to set a new variable, let's say one called "testvariable" to the same value as our "nickyiscool" variable, then you would type into your AS window "testvariable = nickyiscool". After doing this they would both have the value of "yes".

Variables are also used to control things like Dynamic Text. You can assign your text with a variable in the properties manager and then change it in your Action Script using the same code that I've written above.

I pretty much use Action Script 2... But this would probably work similarly in Action Script 3. Hope this clears it up :). This is my understanding, anyway :P

< Message edited by Nicky -- 8/4/2008 19:51:26 >
AQ DF  Post #: 219
8/3/2008 21:41:52   
TreadLight

quote:

var musicPlays:Boolean = false;
var loopTune:Sound = new Sound();
loopTune.onLoad = function(success:Boolean) {
if (success) {
loopTune.start(0, 999);
musicPlays = true;
_root.musicPlayer.gotoAndStop("playing");
}
};
loopTune.loadSound("other.mp3", false);
musicPlayer.playStop.onPress = function ():Void {
if (musicPlays) {
this._parent.gotoAndStop("stopped");
loopTune.stop();
musicPlays = false;
} else {
this._parent.gotoAndStop("playing");
loopTune.start(0, 999);
musicPlays = true;
}
};

I got this code from a tutorial, and it only loads the file that I save in the same folder as the .swf and .fla.

How do I make it so that I load an imported .mp3 insteads of the folder file? I want it to so that I can actually the load the sound if uploaded.
MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 220
8/4/2008 17:04:23   
EragonZZZZ

Nicky, that's a fine example. But horrible coding syntax :P Shush, it's what I use! :P ~Nicky

It's much better for Flash, you, and the universe if you follow the following (lol) syntax:

var variablename:variabletype = variablevalue;

In other words...

var goodVariable:Number = 0;

Don't worry about memorizing variable types. It comes in time, and it's pretty simple to boot.

Plus, Flash brings up a nice list of all the variable types when you finish typing the colon (:).

< Message edited by Nicky -- 8/4/2008 19:50:46 >
AQ  Post #: 221
8/5/2008 4:19:43   
The Illusive Man

Eragon - I try to do the var variablename:variabletype = value;, but flash always doesn't want me to lol. It always says that I put the wrong information in. A number variable for a count... hmm. I think it's flash's problem there xP
Post #: 222
8/5/2008 10:04:36   
flsg

variables are for losers. In AS3 we call them...properties, lol

and no althorne it's your fault :P
your variable value must be of the variable type's class.
for example, 3,567 for number, "hello" for string, etc
but not 2.3464 for int, etc
AQ  Post #: 223
8/6/2008 15:55:58   
Awsome Teh Cake

I'm not sure I understand the concept, or should I say "Purpose/Need" of classes, what are they used for, and why would I ever use them?

< Message edited by BeefStew -- 8/6/2008 16:00:24 >
AQ  Post #: 224
8/6/2008 17:50:49   
Shattered Oblivion

Hmm, I don't believe anyone has answered my question yet. I know it's simple and it doesn't have anything to do with AS, but I'm still lost :P

quote:

I can't seem to change my animations when I create the animation symbol. I can do basic things, like moving the symbol around and whatnot, but not anything else because I need to double-click it again to be able to change points and whatnot. This creates a problem, though, since then I'm not in the animation symbol but in the "group", or whatever, after double-clicking. I know I'm messing something up here XD Is there a way to either have what I do in "group" change what happens in the animation symbol without altering the previous frames? Because that's what happens. When I just do the animation symbol, it runs smoothly and all, but I can't change any points.
DF  Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> RE: Flash Q&A Thread 5 - Flash Has Shares In Your Soul
Page 9 of 18«<7891011>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition