Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

~The Lady's Helpful Hints~ (updated & mini tutorial added)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> ~The Lady's Helpful Hints~ (updated & mini tutorial added)
Page 1 of 3123>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/15/2008 15:14:44   
Lady Alora

Hi Everybody! Since opening my rating shop, I've learned that a lot of newcomers don't know what some of the basic terms/concepts mean. So, I've decided to make this in hopes of helping people to better understand a couple of the terms. Hopefully I'll be able to add to this in the future. Enjoy!

Focal

Focal (adjective): Of, relating to, being, or having a focus.
Focus (noun): A center of activity, attraction, or attention. A point of concentration.

The second definition pretty much sums that up. In most cases it will be a render or a specific person or thing in a stock photo.

Let us take a look at some examples:

Here are some cookies.

^
This is an undefined focal. Both cookies appear to draw the same amount of attention.

^
Here, the cookie on the left is a much more defined than the one of the right, making the cookie on the left the focus.

^
Here, the cookie on the right is the focus.

Depth

Depth (noun): The condition or quality of being deep. The extent, measurement, or dimension downward, backward, or inward.

Depth has a lot to do with your perception of something. How we look at a picture, in other words.

Another example using a sprite. The sprite on the right is sized down and blurred to appear to be in the background.

Determining how your going to add depth is based on your focal.

Another example in an actual picture. I'm going to make the center building my focal.

After blurring most of the details in the background you can now differentiate the background from the foreground because we've created depth.

Flow

Flow (noun): The act of flowing.
Flowing (adverb):To move or run smoothly with unbroken continuity, as in the manner characteristic of a fluid.

In other words it's a continuous motion or effect that leads in a certain direction. That of which is flowing. For most of us the direction in flow is dependent upon the focal.

The focal here is the sprite. This is a demonstration of outward flow spawning from the focals foot.

<------------------^------------------>
Flow

Let's look at other examples of flow:

The flow in this image is coming from the upper left corner and going down towards the focal.

The flow in this image is coming from the bottom and going up past the focal.

Can you see the flow and depth in this tag? ~Thanks trip and glorious

Vector

Vector (noun):A straight line segment whose length is magnitude and whose orientation in space is direction.

Your thinking, "huh?". I believe a vector, in the way that we use them, is a geometric shape (circles, rectangles, etc.) that are placed in a tag to create a "vectorish style" piece.

Vector Graphics: Is the use of geometrical primitives such as points, lines, curves, and shapes or polygon(s), which are all based upon mathematical equations, to represent images in computer graphics.

quote:

linkman88
Vectors will never be come pixelated if they are resized.

My Examples:

From Bone_Funny:

For a more specific and indepth explanation of Vector and Raster Art, click here.

C4D

CINEMA 4D is a "commercial cross platform high-end 3D graphics application produced by MAXON Computer GmbH of Friedrichsdorf, Germany. It is capable of procedural and polygonal/subd modeling, animating, lighting, texturing and rendering, and is noted for being very easy to use and artist friendly among high end 3D applications and having a very flexible interface." -WIKI-

There is a very good definition in "The Sigmaker's Dictionary", thanks to Nicky.

Basicly, it's a 3d model image that we use in our signature to create unique effects. There are mulitple types of C4D's made that can give you different results when using them. I will go over each and explain them as I know them.

Render
Typically used to create substance in a tag. Most can also be used to create lighting effects.

Take this render for example:
Sized down for tutorial.

I used it in this tag:

In gimp, I had two layers. One set on normal at a lower opacity and the other set on screen.

A couple of other examples:

In gimp, I smudged the render I used here for the background, and left it normal for the foreground.

Same idea here.

Wireframe
A less popular render. As soon as I get an example of one used in a tag, I'll include it.
Here is an example of a wireframe render.

Effect
Typically used for, well, effects. :) Most common use is for lighting but can also be manipulated more of a variety of uses.

Take this c4d for example:
Sized down for tutorial.

Used in this tag:

Set on screen, in gimp

A couple of other examples:

A number of effect renders were used in this to create the effects behind and in front of the focal.

Same idea as above

Bubble c4d's
Used the same as effect c4d's, but come in bubble-looking shapes.

Take this for example:
Sized down for tutorial.

Used here in the background:

I used it for extra detail in the bg. Set on screen at a low opacity, in gimp.

Tutorials by Me

Midnight Ninja Tutorial - teaches a little of vectors and a simple techinique of creating backgrounds and effect s.

Results:

Affliction
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/christine21486/assassingirl.png

Gimptalk results:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/christine21486/BerserkerIce.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/christine21486/cloudsig16hp6.png

Mini Tutorial on Sphere's in Gimp
Here is a mini tutorial on how to make sphere's in gimp.

The main tools that you will be using is the "ellipse tool" and the "gradient tool". In order to get this to look like a sphere, your going to have to use a light color and a dark color. Dark blue and light blue for example.

Start in a new layer. Click on the ellipse tool and create a circle on the new layer. In doing so, you are selecting only the circle area on that layer to manipulate.

Select your gradient tool. Choose your two colors that your going to use. I'm going to use light and dark blue. Keep your lighter color in the "foreground" selection. Make sure that your gradient is set on "fg to bg".

Now take your mouse, click and drag the mouse to a little less or more than half way down the circle.

You should now have a sphere.

I hope this helps!

< Message edited by Lady Alora -- 6/16/2008 11:29:51 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 1
4/15/2008 15:20:03   
Bone_funny

mabye ad "focal"since you use it alot in your explinations.

and possibly "C4D".

nice tut tho
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
4/15/2008 15:21:42   
Lady Alora

good idea SOE. I think I will add that.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 3
4/15/2008 15:29:23   
Cool Dragonz

Four letters: HAWT! I wuv you! Thanks LA! <3!
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
4/15/2008 15:31:17   
master

Thanks, finally an explanation on flow other than in the dictionary thread

@below- Question. In the second focal pic does the gradient of white help with the focal to be more defined?

< Message edited by master -- 4/15/2008 15:40:45 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 5
4/15/2008 15:37:27   
Lady Alora

I'm very happy it helps!

<3 CD!

I added an explanation of focals! Check out the cookies on top. :p
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 6
4/15/2008 15:40:53   
Bone_funny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Dragonz

Four letters: HAWT! I wuv you! Thanks LA! <3!

i saw her first!:D

the thing on focals is short,but gives a very good explanation on focals.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 7
4/15/2008 15:41:12   
Cool Dragonz

XD, lol, I wuv your cookies :P
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 8
4/15/2008 15:43:55   
ShyTrake

Ooh, koolio. LA only did this because I PMed her asking about it. Koolio once again.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 9
4/15/2008 15:44:11   
Lady Alora

lol, I suppose I could be more indepth but I figured it wasn't too hard to comprehend with the focal thing. If there's anything else I can add let me know!

edit: I actually had a few people say things like.... "I don't know what flow is, but okay", or "what's depth"

edit2: I added another picture in the depth section at the end to help explain that last part.

< Message edited by Lady Alora -- 4/15/2008 15:53:34 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 10
4/15/2008 15:55:51   
master

quote:

ORIGINAL: master

Thanks, finally an explanation on flow other than in the dictionary thread

@below- Question. In the second focal pic does the gradient of white help with the focal to be more defined?

Maybe I shouldnt ask questions in the same post.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 11
4/15/2008 15:56:50   
Jev

CD aren’t you a guy? Whats with the little girl talk lol.. anyways nice job ( super deep low man voice!) Huggzz! Lol

{Ch@/\/\p}
DF  Post #: 12
4/15/2008 16:04:23   
Cool Dragonz

[takes a good breath and talks as low as possible]Nice job LA, get on another work now.[puts out the breath]
Erm, I liked my first way of saying. It's a perfect tutorial. :D
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 13
4/15/2008 16:19:09   
zenron the great

quote:

i saw her first!:D

nope...that'd be me :P

nice tips LA. Im sure there gonna help some people in the future. I knew this stuff but I bet alot of people didn't. You should add lighting to it.

DF  Post #: 14
4/15/2008 16:22:48   
Mo

I finally understand depth. Flow I kinda get now.
AQ MQ  Post #: 15
4/15/2008 16:23:04   
Lady Alora

@master~ it makes a slight difference because of the light and dark areas, but since you mentioned I added another flip-flopped picture up top.

*snuggles everyone*

@Zen~ good idea about the lighting. I'm gonna have to think on that a little bit. I'm trying to focus on an indepth explanation of things rather than "how to's". I'm sure I'll figure something out.

< Message edited by Lady Alora -- 4/15/2008 17:08:05 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 16
4/15/2008 19:12:03   
BreeMote

There is a sigmaker's dictionary for this kind of thing, in exactly the same place as this. Stickied, even.
Don't mean to put a damper on anything, but I really don't think this is necessary.
AQ  Post #: 17
4/15/2008 19:16:05   
Trip

Lady flow is also like, picture a String thats in front of you and goes At the end.. for get that
heres a Tag,

^GLORIOUS TAG, not mine

see how its get bigger when its Closer, and Smaller when its far away, thats another Technique for depth
Post #: 18
4/16/2008 8:25:11   
Cool Dragonz

quote:

ORIGINAL: BreeMote

There is a sigmaker's dictionary for this kind of thing, in exactly the same place as this. Stickied, even.
Don't mean to put a damper on anything, but I really don't think this is necessary.

Bree, we all know that, but Lady Alora just explained to people. This is really helpful if you wouldn't know this :D. Well, I know it already, but I can't really explain in words. But now, I can just link to LA's Helpful Hints :D.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 19
4/16/2008 12:49:58   
Lady Alora

@Bree~ I happen to think it is necessary. I've had multiple people say that they didn't completely understand the terms. I'm also well aware of the sig makers dictionary Bree.

Definitions such as these offer no in-depth explanation of the use or execution in a tag for these terms.
quote:

Depth
The extent, measurement, or dimension downward, backward, or inward--provides a sence of verisimilitude in the sig (is used to give the appearance of reality).

Flow
An effect in which the sig blends to a point of giving the appearance of motion.

Focal Point
The part of an image that your eyes first notice, or is the most prominent part of the artwork. Minimalistic styles are mainly the style that uses it. Chaotic styles usually do not have a focal point. This is also where people would (or should, in your opinion) look when they first glance at the image.

I'm trying to help newcomers more easily understand these terms and even offer dipictions to help them comprehend. If your against that, then go ahead and be against it.

@Trip~ Nice choice, I'll ask the artist if I can use it. Are they on this forum with that name?

@CD~ thanks for the support.

< Message edited by Lady Alora -- 4/16/2008 12:51:29 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 20
4/16/2008 12:54:06   
Dragon.
UCaG Contest Winner Feb 09

brilliant. really helpful
thanks
Post #: 21
4/16/2008 13:00:53   
Cool Dragonz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lady Alora

@CD~ thanks for the support.

*huggs* :D. You don't know how many times I got the question: "What is depth?" Thank you for making this :).
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 22
4/16/2008 13:01:04   
Lady Alora

Your very welcome!
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 23
4/16/2008 13:47:01   
Trip

Lady Alora i dont think there on this forum, il ask them on the forum i got it from.
Post #: 24
4/16/2008 17:04:28   
Lady Alora

Just let me know trip. I'll credit you for the idea and the artist for the work.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Artists of Legend >> Art Academy >> ~The Lady's Helpful Hints~ (updated & mini tutorial added)
Page 1 of 3123>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition