Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =L&L Community= "Recommended Reading"

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: =L&L Community= "Recommended Reading"
Page 2 of 3<123>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/24/2008 19:48:09   
Lady Eliac

Title: A company of Swans
Author(s):Iva Ibbotson
Genre:Fantasy, I think..?
Short Summary:A girl who lives in nineteen fourteen escapes from her oppresive british family into the amazon jungle, where she becomes a marvelous ballet dancer. She falls in love with Rom, with whom she believes her love is one-sided, only to realize she's being pursued by Edward:
Her would-be fiance...
Personal Opinion:I adored this story. I love meek Harriet, I love Marie-Claude's love of moustaches, I love Rom, and I love who gets picked out by the main guy in the end. Very original, I adore this work even if it was written in 1981.
Rating(Optional):10/10

Open time is wound in endless night,
And only Siren's Song escapes such sorrow:
To the shore we take you mortals' plea,
We take it to--your wasted gift--
your clear, free-hearted sea...
AQ  Post #: 26
11/5/2008 20:48:32   
15cman

Title:Ranger's Apprentice The Ruins of Gorlan.
Author(s):John Flanagan
Genre:I think it is fantasy.
Short Summary: A young 15 year old orphan who lives in the ward,named Will, at Castle Redmont suddenly finds himself a member of the mysterious cloaked Rangers, King Duncan's Special Intelligence Force.They are skilled in surveillance,they fight the battles before it happens, and Will soon learns that a battle is almost upon Araluen.The Dark Lord Morgarath is rallying his Wargals and his assassins,the Kalkara to attack the kingdom.
Personal Opinion:This is definitely a book for mid evil fantasy lovers.It's got some slow parts but they are necessary to explain whats exactly is what and who is who.Very thrilling.A good read especially if you get to the other 3 sequels.
Rating(optional):9/10
DF MQ  Post #: 27
11/11/2008 17:10:04   
leon lionheart

Title: A clockwork Orange
Author(s): Anthony Burgess
Genre: Crime, realism.
Short summary: A teenage boy is extremely violent and unlawful, he goes on a rampage in the first part, used by the system in the second part and lastly badly damaged in the third part. Alex the main character, writes about his life and tells you of how he was used and abused by the state and how he himself ends up becoing a victim due to his own violence.
Personal Opinion: Brilliant book, way ahead of it's time literally as it is set into a not too distant future it bing done in 1962 means that the future that the book is set in would have been and gone by now, but if you read it you'll realise how amazingly accurate this guys predictions were and i strongly reflects todays western modern society revealing it for its true corrupted self.
Rating: 10/10 <<<< Tis a cult classic hardly gonna be any lower
AQ DF  Post #: 28
11/14/2008 21:04:50   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Title: Interview with the Vampire (Book I of The Vampire Chronicles)
Author(s): Anne Rice
Genre: Fantasy/Horror
Short Summary: A boy goes to interview a vampire, who narrates the story of his long immortal life. Readers are whisked off on a journey exploring the definitions of humanity--or rather, the lack of it, as well as the impact of emotions, of being an outcast, of hiding the truth, and everything else that's part of being blessed and damned with vampirism. Louis's journey takes him to meet a cast of vivid characters: the vengeful Lestat, the adorable yet deadly Claudia, the alluring Armand.
Personal Opinion: This is really one of those "I can't put it down" books. I read it all in one night. The characters are colourful and interesting, the plot is powerful and manages to engage readers with Rice's vampire lore without resorting to infodump, and the style is very distinct without being too hard to follow or relate to. I have not even read the other books of The Vampire Chronicles, but this alone manages to attain my approval. I especially loved the characterization and the near perfect balance of outside forces and inner turmoil. The technical writing, while not flawless (some -ly adverbs, misplaced semi-colons, ect.), has numerous merits, including her beautiful descriptions and solid narrative voice.
Rating(Optional): 1/2 (falls short of a five due to my nitpicking at some of the technical writing)
AQ  Post #: 29
1/3/2009 13:06:24   
Alixander Fey

Title: Wizard's First Rule
Author(s): Terry Goodkind
Genre: High Fantasy
Short Summary: Richard is a woods guide in Westland. In the lull after his father's death, he finds a woman in the forest, a woman being pursued by four men. They defeat the men (did she use some form of supernatural power?) and then he finds a startling truth: she is from the midlands. The land of magic. And she's searching for the Old One, the great wizard, to stod D'Hara from rising again.
Personal Opinion: This followed the Hero's Journey pretty straight through in the beginning. However, this genius author did little things here and there, just small things, that made it seem as if I had never read this plot. I knew who the wizard was the first time they mentioned him--it was easy! But he tearned everything around just perfectly to make it original.
Rating(Optional): 5/5 This was the best High Fantasy book I have ever read in my life. Ever.
DF  Post #: 30
1/7/2009 12:52:44   
weatherseed
Ribarg!
Contest Winner

Title: Kalevala
Author(s): Elias Lönnrot
Genre: Epic Poetry
Short Summary: The entire mythology of Finland.
Personal Opinion: Really rather perplexing at times. The poetic style takes some getting used to. When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, it's still really good.

Title: Shadowland
Author(s): Peter Straub
Genre: Horror
Short Summary: I can't put the novel to words without disgracing it.
Personal Opinion: A bit childish at times, but that is to be expected when it is a novel about children.

Title: Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth
Author(s): J.R.R. Tolkien
Genre: Fantasy
Short Summary: Everything, and I mean everything, you would ever want to know about Middle-Earth.
Personal Opinion: If you want to delve deeper than the Lord of the Rings allows and far beyond the Silmirilian, than this is a must. If the prospect of such a tome is frightening, there is an alternative,

Title: The Book of Lost Tales I, II
Author(s): J.R.R. Tolkien
Short Summary: The important parts of the previous book mentioned, but told in a more acceptable form.
Personal Opinion: Short. Neither book is very long and cover similar material. If you want a reference novel, go for the above. If you desire a more light hearted and interesting book, these are perfect.
Personal Opinion:
AQ  Post #: 31
1/11/2009 23:00:11   
jerenda

Someone's going to kill me for this first one, but here goes...

Title: Cyrano de Bergerac
Author(s): I have forgotten, but it was a French name.
Genre: French Poetry (is that a genre? I have no idea...)

Short Summary: Cyrano de Bergerac is about a poet/swordsman with a huge nose and a brisk temper. He is unmatchable in a fight, and strongly maintains his values, like honor, courage, nobility, and chivalry. He is a great patron of the arts, and an excellent poet- but his quick temper and quicker sword mark him as an outcast of sorts in the society. The story is all about how Christian, a handsome, though brainless, young cadet wins the girl of Cyrano's dreams, Roxanne, with Cyrano's words- Cyrano, believeing himself to be too ugly to love, gives Christian the words to woo her.

Okay, so my summary was incredibly lame. I'm sorry, but trust me it's good. =)

Personal Opinion: I loved it. I relate to Cyrano, on an abstract deep level, and the ending scene was heartrending. I also love Cryano, or rather, I love the ideal he represents. The poetry was good, too- it captured my imagination, and was quite wonderful.

Title: Hexwood
Author(s): Diana Wynn Jones
Short Summary: A girl most probably named Ann, a strange 'death-headed' man called Moricant, and an ancient time-warping alien device known as the bannus... at least, that's what the story pretends to be about. The bannus has been turned on by a foolish clerk from an off-world storage base, and now appears to have a mind of it's own. As inside the bannus field things "don't have to happen in the right order," Diana turns your perception of time around and then gives it a sharp yank, until she has you completely lost within the organization of time. A word to the wise: read this with a pencil and paper close at hand, and take notes on all the characters as you go. It'll save you a lot of trouble later on, as you start encountering the supposedly secondary characters again, but with a completely different point of view. It's complicated. Just read the book.

Personal Opinion: Once again, I loved it. I found myself needing to read it a second time, this time to take notes on everything that happened and figure it all out. The intense complexity of the plot was very exciting- I believe that it started, chronologically, in the middle of the story, and went on to tell you the end through the beginning. I think. I'm not entirely sure. Also, the way she introduced the same character several times in very different ways, and kept you from realizing for quite a while that it was the same character, was actually kind of scary. Even now I'm not sure I fully understand it- so I need someone else to read it and PM me, okay, so I can discuss it with someone else. =)

< Message edited by jerenda -- 7/15/2009 0:55:45 >
AQ DF  Post #: 32
1/12/2009 17:48:36   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Since none of the other fans has beaten me to it yet...

Title: The Dark Tower Series
Author(s): Stephen King
Short Summary: Roland, the last gunslinger in a world that has "moved on," searches for the legendary Dark Tower, the nexus of all time, space, and size. Suspecting there is a sickness in the Tower itself which is affecting all the worlds, Roland and his band of followers trek across many wheres and whens in search of this Tower. A blend of epic fantasy, fast-paced western, and chilling horror, The Dark Tower blends imagination and reality while introducing a tight-knit plot and unforgettable characters.
Personal Opinion: I could rant for hours about how powerful the plot is, how haunting yet beautiful the world is, how flowing the references to popular culture are in the fantasy backdrop, but I'm not going to. The best part about the series, in my opinion, is the characters. While the other elements are good, the characters are what really keeps me in for the ride. Roland, determined and deadly but fully human in both his heroics and flaws; Eddie, a junkie-turned-gunslinger with an uncanny ability at wit, humour, and care; Susannah, on a wheelchair and having multiple personalities but still strong and observant; Jake, betrayed but still loving and willing to help his betrayer... I can go on about this forever from many aspects, but the characters were what made me forgive all flaws and praise all the good points.
Rating(Optional): 1/2 (I considered giving it a 5, but my conscience cannot allow me to say it's perfect. There were parts that were less exciting than others, plus at least one noticeable plot hole. However, I can assure you that, even if it's not a "5-star" story--in my opinion--if the characters captivate you as much as they captivated me, it'll definitely be as enjoyable as one)
AQ  Post #: 33
2/6/2009 2:51:12   
superjedifighter

Title: Screwtape Letters

Author:C.S Lewis

Genre: Christian satire

Short Summary: it is about the Devil writing to a lesser Demon how to tempt men to sin (the temptation changes depending on the person's weaknesses and the situation that they are faceing)

Personal Opinion: this is a Christian based book but is a classic that is a good read for no matter who you are
Rating truely a great read for anyone who enjoys reading

Edit: Nevermind. Did not realize those smileys represented rating. ~shreder

< Message edited by shreder110 -- 2/9/2010 9:21:11 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 34
2/7/2009 22:00:10   
Smalls

Title: I am America (and So Can You)
Author(s): Stephen Colbert
Genre: Non-Fiction
Short Summary: A hilarious tour of modern day things from sports to family life, with that Colbertish look to it
Personal Opinion: I love it, though some of it may be inappropriate for 12 under, it's a great book, that you can also make a sticker saying "America in training" on, I *cough* did that, and wore it to school :D
Rating(Optional):***** out of *****
DF  Post #: 35
2/17/2009 1:00:23   
marvin_the_robot

Title: Flowers for Algernon
Author(s): Daniel Keyes
Genre: Classic Sci-Fi
Short Summary: It's about a retarted man who undergoes a procedure that gives him super-intelligence. Gives insight on how the mentally or otherwise disabled are treated, among other things.
Personal Opinion: A very good book, very sad. Has some great insight and provides deep discussion topics IMO. Is banned in some areas.
Rating: 1/2

< Message edited by marvin_the_robot -- 4/10/2009 18:02:50 >
DF  Post #: 36
2/24/2009 0:38:44   
Baker

Title: Agincourt (Azincourt in the UK, I believe)
Author(s): Bernard Cornwell
Genre: Historical fiction
Short Summary: A story of Nicholas Hook, an archer in King Henry V's English army that rises up its ranks as the king attempts to seize the French throne he claims as his own.
Personal Opinion: I'm not even done with the book yet, but it's great! I'd recommend it to anyone that enjoys historical fiction.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 37
2/26/2009 21:16:41   
Firefly
Lore-ian

I don't know why I didn't mention this earlier, but here comes...

Title: Silverwing Series
Author(s): Kenneth Oppel
Genre: Children's Literature/Fantasy (progressively less of the former and more of the latter as the series goes on)
Short Summary: The series, consisting of three books (Silverwing, Sunwing, and Firewing) plus a prequel (Darkwing), follows the journey of a bat named Shade. He struggles against devious predators, disapproving elders, relentless nature, enigmatic humans, and his own past. In the course of his adventures as he tries to triumph over the cannibalist Goth, Shade encounters many circumstances and characters that causes him to see the world in a different light. Themes include conformity vs. individuality, nature vs. nurture, life vs. death, others vs. self, and a variety of other explorations that are integrated into this simple story so subtly that the themes speak without hammering the audience on the head.
Personal Opinion: While it is classified as a children's book, I think anyone of any age would be able to enjoy it. The very concept is a unique innovation; Oppel completely changed the concept of "talking animal stories" by making his bats human in their attitudes and feelings while still retaining their bat instincts (you will find no animals drinking tea here!). The result is something utterly believable despite its later ventures into the realms of fantasy. Oppel's prose is engaging as he uses words that are understandable but elegant to create the atmosphere, be it in northern forests or southern jungles. His best characters, in my opinion, are his side characters and villains that are ingenius in many ways yet fallible in others. While Silverwing could be seen as nice, comfortable fiction book with just a few variations from the "template," Oppel soon delves into some very touching themes in the animal world that still apply to his human readers. Sunwing is a magnificent blend of fantasy and believability while Firewing (in my opinion, his crowning achievement) breaks boundaries by challenging many of his own themes in earlier books. I love the series because it can be enjoyed as a few hours' entertainment, but it also offers themes to think about after closing the book if the reader so chooses.
Rating(Optional): 1/2 (As brilliant as the series is, it does have one noticeable flaw: in some scenes, the main character does suffer a mild case of escaping from situations where he should not, logically, be capable of escaping but does escape from because he's the protagonist and thus cannot be defeated at that time)
AQ  Post #: 38
2/28/2009 21:04:18   
Alixander Fey

quote:

Title: Wizard's First Rule
Author(s): Terry Goodkind
Short Summary: Richard is a woods guide in Westland. In the lull after his father's death, he finds a woman in the forest, a woman being pursued by four men. They defeat the men (did she use some form of supernatural power?) and then he finds a startling truth: she is from the midlands. The land of magic. And she's searching for the Old One, the great wizard, to stod D'Hara from rising again.
Personal Opinion: This followed the Hero's Journey pretty straight through in the beginning. However, this genius author did little things here and there, just small things, that made it seem as if I had never read this plot. I knew who the wizard was the first time they mentioned him--it was easy! But he tearned everything around just perfectly to make it original.
Rating(Optional): 5/5 This was the best High Fantasy book I have ever read in my life. Ever.

Well, I read the sequel, Stone of Tears, and quite frankly it was the best book I had ever read in my life. EVER. And then I read Blood of the Fold, the sequel to THAT book. (The plot to Stone of Tears is only barely related, although it begins the same second WFR ends. WFR is a complete story and you don't need a sequel. Stone of Tears you can really feel the sequel coming. And Blood of the Fold ends that part of the story, kind of, but you know more is coming.) Blood of the Fold was really interesting and really awesome but didn't blow my pants off like Stone of Tears.
DF  Post #: 39
4/13/2009 7:54:59   
demolitiondragon
Constructively Friendly!

Title: The Seeress of Kell

Author(s): David Eddings

Short Summary: It all started with the Belgariad (Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit, Castle of Wizardry, Enchanters' End Game), but this book is part of the Malloreon (Guardians of the West, King of the Murgos, Demon Lord of Karanda, Sorceress of Darshiva, The Seeress of Kell). The Malloreon follows the continued story of (Bel)Garion, who is out to find his son, who has been captured by Zandramas to fulfil the Dark prophecy. In the process, Garion realises he will have to fulfil the prophecy of Light if he is to have a chance at defeating her. The final choice of who shall triumph in the end rests in the hands of the Seeress of Kell.

Personal Opinion: I like this writer's ability to write memorable characters (trust me, you won't forget them... I mentioned one of them to one of my friends, and they remembered them perfectly--having read the book several years ago) and character interaction (the banter... oh, the banter! XD). I admit that I found the Belgariad slow, but the Malloreon was better plot-wise, imo. Eddings balances serious moments and humour well. If you have the patience to stick with it, I think it's worthwhile.

Rating:

< Message edited by demolitiondragon -- 4/13/2009 7:55:40 >
Post #: 40
5/7/2009 13:51:40   
LordAidan

Title: The bartimaous Trilogy
Author: Jonathon Stroud (Hes my penpal!)
Genere: Fantasy
Summory: THis follows the career of the mgaician Nathanial A.K.A John Mandrake and his demon Bartimaous form when he was a child to the age of 17. I love these books I reccomend them highly
Rating: 15/10
AQ DF  Post #: 41
6/20/2009 23:18:37   
Arzamol

Title:The Silverwing Trilogy (now a quadrogy?)
Author(s):Keneth Oppel
Genre:Um, not sure.
Short Summary:A newborn bat (named Shade) sees the sun (thats illegal). As a result his colony's nursing home gets burned down by owls, forcing them to migrate early. On the way, thay encounter a storm that seperates Shade from his colony and sends him to an island. On a quest to rejoin his family, he gets chased by a carnivorous vampire bat prince with a three foot wingspan who plans to bring an armie of his species and enslave his colony (and every other bat colony). On top of all this is Nocturna's Promise. The promise that one day, bats would be allowed to see the light of day (they are not blind, thay are color blind) and would be free from the tirany of the owls.
Personal Opinion:Best book ever. Something you must read to see the good in it.
Rating(Optional):9.37989.../10(nothing is perfect)

< Message edited by Arzamol -- 10/7/2010 17:59:26 >
DF  Post #: 42
6/23/2009 14:28:49   
Falerin
Legendary Loremaster

Title: Replay
Author: Ken Grimwood
Genre: Sci Fan
Short Summary: 1998's World Fantasy Award winner and short list contender for the Arthur C. Clarke award; Replay is nonetheless a little known book, in spite of inspiring at least one major motion picture (Groundhog Day) and a whole generation of people. Replay is a deeply spiritual book, even through its temptation and darkness and goes down with the likes of Stranger in a Strange Land when it comes to depth of message.
Jeff Winston, a busy business man, too busy to live his live, dies of a massive coronary heart attack right near his birthday. Inexplicably he awakes in bed in Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia in 1966. He then begins to relive his life with his memories of whats to come fully intact. He changes his life around living a healthy live and maintaining his cardiac health but in 1999 he once again is cast back in time to 1966 this time arriving several hours later in the day then in his first time through.
As subsequent replay's occur he recognizes a film that appears that never existed in his other lifetimes and seeking out it's producer finds Pamela, another Replayer in much the same situation. Jeff then deals with these repeating lives with Pamela but struggles when faced with the fact that her replays occur months or even years later then his own. Pamela for her own part must learn to forgive Jeff for pursuing a life changing relationship with her pre-replay self.
Personal Opinion: Foundational. Poignant. Moving. Replay raises fundamental questions about the nature of self and self determination. Each replay presenting new questions, including in at least one what happens when one gives into the voice of futility and emerses one self fully in drugs, sex, and escapism. Replay offers a final conclusion that despite offering no real answers is profoundly well written and deeply satisfying the lack of an answer almost answer enough in and of itself.

< Message edited by Falerin -- 6/23/2009 14:30:57 >
Post #: 43
7/15/2009 0:39:15   
Coyote

Title: How to Read Novels Like A Professor
Author(s): Thomas C. Foster
Genre: Well, a guide, I guess. Non-fiction.
Short Summary: The title says it all. The book explores the novel, the conventions of the novel, and how those conventions have been broken. Lots and lots of insight on various aspects of the novel -- not just how to read them, but how to write them as well.
Personal Opinion: Very, very, very helpful for aspiring novelists who've gotten past their "How to show and not tell" stages. While Foster has this nasty tendency to pile example after example on you, hammering the point in a little bit too much (I personally believe each and every chapter can be cut in half and still have the same content), he brings up a lot of valid points in every chapter. This book will certainly make you rethink what you think about novels, and about writing in general. I will even go as far as to say that you will be a different person after reading this book -- both in reading literature and in writing it. The guy has a killer sense of humor, too, so that's always a plus.
Rating(Optional): As awesome as the book is, I believe I've mentioned how Foster tends to ramble. Makes for a very boring half the chapter for a lot of chapters. >.>

< Message edited by Coyote -- 7/15/2009 0:41:02 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 44
7/24/2009 15:02:22   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Title: The Name of the Wind
Author(s): Patrick Rothfuss
Short Summary: After his disguise is uncovered by the historian Chronicler, wizard-turned-innkeeper Kvothe agrees to to tell his story. This novel, the first of a forthcoming trilogy, relates Kvothe's earlier adventures as a travelling performer, a beggar, then a student at the University. The beginning of a legend unfolds on these pages, told in the hero's own voice.
Personal Opinion: Seriously, the backcover of the book and the numerous praises it garnered sum it up much better than I could. It is truly a magnificent tale told in an original voice. Kvothe is a rounded, 3-dimensional character who doesn't fall into either the knight-in-shining-armour cliche or the angsty-and-depressing-anti-hero trap. The plot unfolds at a flawless pace, and the prose is clean, lush, and clever. The way the story is told is unmatched in its concept and execution--a wonderful mesh of third and first person, objective and close point of view.
Rating(Optional): 1/2
AQ  Post #: 45
8/30/2009 17:53:08   
Goldstein

Title: 1984
Author: George Orwell
Genre: Hmmm...satire, I suppose, fiction, for sure...I hope...
Short Summary: This book follows the man Winston Smith, who lives in the year 1984 in Oceania, or the collective presences of North and South America, the British Isles, and some of Western Europe. The world is divided up into three parties-Oceania, Eurasia (Russia, and most of Eastern Europe), and East Asia, the rest of the world. All are ruled by a party that is oppressive and Communist. In Oceania, it is known simply as the "Party", led by an enigmatic man known simply as "Big Brother". Smith quietly rebels against the party through free-thinking and making a relationship with a woman for means outside of reproduction.
Personal Opinion: An excellent read, some material may be inappropriate for readers under 13, but it is brief. A great satire of Stalin's Russia, and the "evils" of Capitalism. I'm not Communist, but I loved this book. One of the great things are that Orwell isn't biased-he points of the flaws of both Communism and Capitalism.
Rating: 9/10
Post #: 46
3/26/2010 0:31:37   
alexmacf

Title: Fullmetal Alchemist
Author(s): Hiromu (sp?) Arakawa
Genre: Shonen manga
Short Summary: (Note: Summary not mine, but the official one from ANN.) After losing their mother, Alphonse and Edward Elric attempt to bring her back using the forbidden science of human alchemy. However, alchemy operates on the theory of equivalent trade, and breaking the human alchemy taboo carries a heavy price. Ed loses his leg, and Al loses his body. Ed is able to seal Al's soul inside of a huge suit of armor, at the cost of his arm. Years later, Ed (now with two mechanical limbs) and Al (still trapped in the armor) leave their childhood home, each brother concerned with the other's happiness. Ed, who has a natural talent and skill for alchemy, becomes nationally certified and is soon known everywhere as the "Fullmetal Alchemist." Their true objective is to search for any information on the fabled Philosopher's Stone, hoping it will allow them to regain their old bodies. All of their hopes rest with this mythical stone, which may not even exist at all. However, the brothers soon learn that they are not the only ones after the powerful stone.
Personal Opinion: Great story, great characters, and their world feels real. Great introduction to shonen manga (from experience, as it was my person intro) and it's a hugely popular series beloved by (most - someone's mileage will always vary) people who read it. There's a thread in the Entertainment Forums, if you want to check that out.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 47
3/26/2010 14:55:36   
Reaper Sigma

Title: The Templar Legacy
Author(s): Steve Berry
Genre: Action/ADenture
Short Summary: Retired US operative Cotton Malone, now a bookstore owner in Copenhagen, Denmark, finds himself thrown into the midst of things after an unusual series of events sparks it all. A man attempts stealing his former superviser's, who had been planning to visit him, purse. The thief jumps off a building, but utters one last word before doing so. Beaseant. The warcry of the Knights Templar, one of the most powerful organizations of the Middle Ages. Now, Cotton has to help solve a centuries old secret: the location of the lost cache of wealth the Templars left behind. And there's someone trying to find it first.
Personal Opinion: One of the greatests books I've ever read. It takes a lot for me to say this about a non-fantasy book, but this book meets the requirements. I find myself wanting to read it again and again. Not for people who don't like cursing, though.
Rating(Optional):
Post #: 48
4/20/2010 16:19:44   
Postmaster General

quote:

Title: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Author(s): Tom Stoppard
Genre: Play
Short Summary: An addition to Shakespeare's Hamlet. Follows the story of the two characters, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. These two characters are often mixed up, pointing out the existentialist views of author, Tom Stoppard.
Personal Opinion: Great story that can be used for examples when learning about the philosophies of Existentialism.
Rating(Optional): 4.5 out of 5

quote:

Title: Animal Farm
Author(s): George Orwell
Genre: Satire
Short Summary: A story used to point out the flaws of the Communist Russia's government during the reign of Stalin and Lenin.
Personal Opinion: A great story, one of the reasons I began to love satire so much. Now it is my favorite style of writing. The book itself was unappealing the first time I read it, because I was forced to read it in school. But now, I read it voluntarily and enjoy it so much, I read it again!
Rating(Optional): 5 out of 5

quote:

Title: Where the Red Fern Grows
Author(s): Wilson Rawls
Genre: Narrative
Short Summary: A story about a boy and his two hunting dogs. It's a touching story, and one of the only books that have ever made me cry.
Personal Opinion: A heart warming story of the bond between boy and his pups.
Rating(Optional): 4.5 out of 5

quote:

Title: Spark Notes: No Fear Shakespeare
Author(s):
Genre: Play
Short Summary: This is a series of books printed by Sparknotes. These books place the original Shakespearean style writing right next to modern interpretation to help gain a better understanding of the story. As is custom with Sparknotes, there are other points of interest that can help with any school work related to Shakespeare.
Personal Opinion: A very helpful way to fall in love with Shakespeare, if you haven't already.
Rating(Optional): 5 out of 5

< Message edited by Fleur Du Mal -- 4/23/2010 15:37:20 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 49
8/2/2010 19:37:05   
Xplayer
Roaming the Web

Here I go being a fanboy again

Title: The Haruhi Suzumiya Series
Author(s): Nagaru Tanigawa (illustrations by Noizi Ito)
Genre: Light Novel. Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Slice of Life/Who knows?
Short Summary: The eccentric Suzumiya Haruhi wants nothing more than to meet aliens, time travelers and espers… but she’ll have to settle for the everyday Kyon instead! Along with the mysterious Itsuki and the vacant Mikuru, the duo forms the SOS Brigade – a club whose mission is to discover the mysteries of the world. Armed with a razor sharp wit and a skill for manipulation, Haruhi will stop at nothing to have fun at all costs, even at the expense of Mikuru’s dignity!
Personal Opinion: This novel is a quick read that is hilariously sarcastic and perfect for the cynical teenager in many of us. "Trope subversion" does not even begin to describe the story.
Rating(Optional):

Title: The Chronicles of Narnia
Author(s): C.S. Lewis
Short Summary:The Chronicles of Narnia presents the adventures of children who play central roles in the unfolding history of the fictional realm of Narnia, a place where animals talk, magic is common, and good battles evil. Each of the books (with the exception of The Horse and His Boy) features as its protagonists children from our world who are magically transported to Narnia, where they are called upon to help the Lion Aslan save Narnia.
Personal Opinion: Along with the Middle Earth saga by J.R.R. Tolkien, this may be the most influential set of fantasy novels in the 20th century. While written for children, people of all ages can find literary value and entertainment in all these books.
Rating(Optional):
AQ AQW  Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: =L&L Community= "Recommended Reading"
Page 2 of 3<123>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition