Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Poetic Alchemy-Comments III-NEW~The Ascent

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> RE: Poetic Alchemy-Comments III-NEW~The Ascent
Page 4 of 7«<23456>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/18/2008 21:39:01   
Firefly
Lore-ian

That was a typo, sorry. I know how to spell it, but I typoed the correction, lol. Really phail in my part, sorry.

EDIT: Claimed for typoing typo corrections. Crazy, eh?
No page-claiming. - Cow Face

< Message edited by Cow Face -- 6/3/2009 15:49:35 >
AQ  Post #: 76
9/18/2008 21:44:39   
garnetdragoness

i figured it was a typo but found it funny anyway. darn it! you claim another of my pages!
AQ  Post #: 77
9/19/2008 17:58:23   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Just wanted to let you know that the poetry I used today in class was a hit and the kids were grateful for the examples you allowed me to use they took home. I can't wait to see their stuff next week. Their assignment for the week: 1 one stanza silliness Limerick, 1 story limerick at least 3 stanzas long and at least 4 Haikus!

Again, my gratitude.

*hugs*
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 78
9/21/2008 9:00:23   
garnetdragoness

You are quite welcome, Eukara! *big hugs back. I am so glad the kids liked my stuff! You will have to keep me posted on their assignment results for sure! Well, ok here I go. I have a new poem. It is a slightly different rhyme scheme than I normally do but am working on some more. It is also about something I pretty much never write about-love. OMG!!! She wrote about love? The death and darkness obsessed lady dragon has wrote about love?! THIS you gotta see-lol.

New!! Heaven-Sent
AQ  Post #: 79
9/21/2008 15:44:22   
Firefly
Lore-ian

quote:

I've looked everywhere I've went.

"I've went" makes no sense grammatically. Perhaps change the two "I've's" to "I"?

quote:

One who touches my very soul.

Imo, makes more sense and flow better as "The one" here.

I like it. Nice variation from your usual. My next task: vary the stanzas in addition to the rhyme. =P (Nah, you write what you want. Don't have to listen to me).
AQ  Post #: 80
9/21/2008 18:56:12   
garnetdragoness

thanks FF! I fixed that and so glad you liked that one. there will be more to come. will work on getting different type stanzas soon. let me get used to this type of rhyme scheme first tho.
AQ  Post #: 81
9/21/2008 21:17:08   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Yeah, I wasn't really serious. I say you keep working on this rhyme scheme before you venture into other stanzas. I think there's a saying in martial arts practice or something: "I fear the one kick you practised a thousand times, not the a thousand kicks you've practised only once." ;)

AQ  Post #: 82
9/22/2008 21:58:15   
garnetdragoness

all in good time my friend, all in good time
AQ  Post #: 83
9/22/2008 23:50:23   
Brynn Summers
Winter-Spring 2009 Honoured Writer

I love your poem "I Believe." It truly is magical and fun.
Post #: 84
9/23/2008 6:17:58   
garnetdragoness

Wow, thanks Brynn! I so appreciate your comment.
AQ  Post #: 85
9/23/2008 23:42:55   
Brynn Summers

I read more of your poetry... all the way down to Imagine. I think my fav would be still have to be I Believe. Keep it up!
Post #: 86
9/24/2008 20:16:39   
garnetdragoness

Thank you again, Brynn! I am so glad to see you take such an interest. Some get a little intimidated by the number of poems I have up....I say....rejoice in all that reading material!
AQ  Post #: 87
9/25/2008 21:21:05   
Brynn Summers

Lol... the numbers don't bother me. I've written lots of poetry but just have posted some of my favs. I would be interested in your opinion of them. Instead of posting another thread, I just stuck them under Princely Chains under Other Works. I think I have about four up and they are fairly short...
Post #: 88
9/25/2008 22:42:13   
garnetdragoness

i have read your poems and left you a comment, Brynn.
AQ  Post #: 89
9/25/2008 23:56:08   
Brynn Summers

Thanks!
Post #: 90
9/28/2008 16:27:59   
garnetdragoness

you are most welcome!
AQ  Post #: 91
10/6/2008 0:17:59   
garnetdragoness

New!! Why?

This is something totally different for me to post here. not sure if it even qualifies as poetry as it does not rhyme and has no stanzas but it is something I wrote a while back that I came across today and thought I would share it with my friends here on the forums. call it free verse, contemplation, whatever you want. just let me know what ya think!

< Message edited by garnetdragoness -- 10/7/2008 9:44:37 >
AQ  Post #: 92
10/7/2008 17:41:12   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Usual disclaimer: All my comments are suggestions. Feel free to ignore them; I won't be the least bit displeased. ;)

quote:

It's not just the human spirit that gets broken bit by bit, but all the animals, plants and every living thing is affected.

The grammar here is a bit weird, and the "all" kinda makes the "every" redundant. I'd go with a regular: "...all the animals, plants, and living things are affected." You can even take out the "the"

quote:

For example; we take a small puppy or kitten and raise it to bend to our wills and kill its natural instincts just because they are things we cannot accept in "our" world.

The semi-colon should probably be a colon because it's an elaboration, not a joint of independent clauses (for example isn't independent).
I find "just" a bit unnecessary.

quote:

WHY is it that no matter what we have, it's never good enough?

"it is" seems to flow better.

quote:

It's so sad that the "gifts" each of us have been given are never appreciated.

I find those words unnecessarily wordy. Plus, you use "given" in the next line so this is a bit repetitive.

quote:

Life has given us so many questions to ask, but it has not provided us with any answers to a great deal of them.

Y'know, I'd like to be really bold to ask you to trim this to something very short and simple. I think that's more powerful... "Life has provided us with question, but no answers" or something to that effect.

quote:

There is nothing one person can do to change the things that are there.

"one" might be a bit overused in conjunction with all the "no-ones" Maybe "a" here?
Just a thought, but the last part could be summed up with a single word "anything"

quote:

Sometimes I wonder if that's the reason WHY things get so messed up.

"become" is probably a stronger word here.

quote:

The whole world has gone insane and it is taking everything on it with it.

Doesn't seem necessary.

quote:

I write of my inner-most thoughts and feelings because it makes them more real and thought provoking to others.

I dunno if the "of" is necessary.
"thought-provoking" probably needs a hyphen.

quote:

There are many things inside me that I have only scratched the surface.

"...are so many..." probably makes this statement more powerful.

quote:

Can there be anyone or anything out there that can be considered as truly sane?

Maybe just the way I talk, but I dunno if that's needed here.

quote:

I pretended that I lived in a perfect place where all dreams come true and there was no such thing as monsters.

The rest of the sentence is in past tense, so maybe this should be too. "came"?

quote:

I see such hope in his eyes and wonder if i ever had that look.

I'm sure you can see what's wrong with this. =P

quote:

They see the world as it is with wide open eyes and hearts.

Now, the "wide open" part applies to both eyes and hearts. I can see it applying to the former, but I'm not sure if the image fits with the latter, so I suggest you take the "wide" out.

quote:

We all want to have the answers, but sometimes there are none to give.

"They" might fit better here in conjunction with the previous sentence.

quote:

The pain of being "different".

Heh, might be the difference in our dialects, but I was taught to place the closing quote after the period. ;)

quote:

Just to hear your own voice in that kind of silence can be a comfort, yet, also maddening.

I'd change it to "comforting" to balance it with "maddening"

quote:

To be that alone and empty is just so unthinkable.

I'd take one of these two words out 'cause it seems unneeded to have both.

quote:

But, there are ones out there that live with that every single day of their lives.

Maybe change the second one to "it" to avoid repetition?

I like the voice and style you wrote it in and how you made it full of raw emotion. Powerful stuff, and you've once again demostrated your talent at those magnificent last lines. It's a bit wordy in places and can be trimmed, but it goes along fine with the style. Also, you can try splitting it into stanzas if you want. There are many topics and subject matters explored. If you want to consider stanza splits, I'll be more than happy to help you with them if you need. ;)

Keep up the good work!
AQ  Post #: 93
10/7/2008 23:20:06   
garnetdragoness

thanks bunches Firefly! I told ya it was written a long time ago and figured it would need some doctoring. I just copied it word for word off an old paper. will get the parts you suggested fixed up tomorrow. I am glad you still liked the voice and emotion of it. I found it in a drawer slipped inside a book I had forgotten about. who knows what other treasures I may find if I start digging through more stuff-hee hee

< Message edited by garnetdragoness -- 10/8/2008 23:18:27 >
AQ  Post #: 94
10/8/2008 6:25:03   
garnetdragoness

edited all the places you suggested Firefly. If you think it could be split up into stanzas I would love your assistance in doing that as I never even thought about how to split it up. but I had a feeling it would be liked here so I just had to share.

< Message edited by garnetdragoness -- 10/18/2008 10:03:29 >
AQ  Post #: 95
10/18/2008 10:05:01   
garnetdragoness

New!! My Angel

short, sweet, and oh geez, another lovey-dovey one....this is gettin scary-lol.
AQ  Post #: 96
10/18/2008 11:06:54   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Oh crap... I just realized I never helped you on the stanza breaks like I should... I'm sorry for forgetting, Garnet. It might take a bit longer, and I'm kinda busy today (editing short stories... it hurts, lol) I've got some time to read your newest one:

quote:

That's when we met.

"That is" seems to flow better.

quote:

You take me to another place.
And shower me with your love.

Due to the stanza before it, this might be better in past tense...

I liked the flow and imagery of this one. Some of the rhymes were insanely clever. My only iffy moments were how the tense seemed to change at times. You started in present, went to past, and went to present again. If you take my second suggestion above, it'll be okay. Might be better if you made the whole thing in one tense, but that requires a tweaking of a few rhyme lines. Overall, it was a beautiful piece. If you have the time, you can try uniforming the tense.

I'll get back to you about the stanza breaks next week. I'm sorry Garnet. I'm just kinda busy this weekend...
AQ  Post #: 97
10/18/2008 11:24:47   
garnetdragoness

ok, all edited Firefly. I think I got it all in the same tense and thank you. I know you have been busy, that's why I have not bugged you about the stanzas for "Why?". Whenever you have the time is fine. So glad you liked this one. Still getting used to this kind of rhyme scheme.
AQ  Post #: 98
11/2/2008 18:47:57   
pollme

Though I can't give much advice, let me tell you that your poetry is simply ...undescribable. Amazing. I would go to laughing to practically crying. My only advice is keep writing!
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 99
11/3/2008 20:03:01   
garnetdragoness

thank you so very much. always love to hear from those who appreciate what I write and how I write. I have been working on some new stuff but I have not completed anything for posting as of yet. keep watch tho!
AQ  Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> RE: Poetic Alchemy-Comments III-NEW~The Ascent
Page 4 of 7«<23456>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition