Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Where Did You Learn... Your Grammar?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: Where Did You Learn... Your Grammar?
Page 2 of 4<1234>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/20/2008 17:10:48   
Mo

I learn most of it from here, the commas and stuff from school
AQ MQ  Post #: 26
7/21/2008 6:59:25   
Firefly
Lore-ian

*laughs*

I remember when I went "Le gasp! Eddy used a semi-colon /correctly/!" in one of my edits. =P

I'd say that how much care one puts into grammar is based on their innate feelings. Example: I used to say that I didn't care about grammar, but the moment I stepped into L&L, I got the grammar-Nazi title. =P I tried to work past that grammar-ish side of me, but it was hard... I printed out something to read the other day before I left for Washington and though I wasn't reading to critique, I ended up scribbling all over it with a red pen because I couldn't control myself...
AQ  Post #: 27
7/21/2008 8:28:14   
Mistermafio

That something wouldn't happen to be something of me now, would it Firefly?

Grammar isn't my cup of tea, nor any other beverage for that matter. I often typo a lot of words or just plain write them wrong.

/But/ the ammount of basic-ish grammar I have learned came from this place. I don't think I ever really had a lesson on grammar in school, nor do I doubt I ever will.
AQ  Post #: 28
7/21/2008 8:35:30   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Actually... Do you really wanna know? 'cause, that something was your contest story... I'm really sorry. I couldn't control myself. I even left the red pen in the other room, but I just had to run to get it...

Meh, I can never post anything without a few typos. It takes around 2 or 3 rounds of my own editing and 3-4 rounds of editing from others to make something typo-free. Less if it's something shorter...

Most schools don't teach grammar anymore past junior or middle school, to my knowledge.
AQ  Post #: 29
7/21/2008 8:44:22   
Mistermafio

Heh, as long as you actually read the entire story... And pass me along those edits for future use I'm glad enough.
'twould help if you liked it too though.

Seeing how I didn't actually /get/ english properly until middle school. And the amount of grammar I got there was next to nothing. I'm ever surprised I /can/ write the way I do. :^P

Most of my lessons consist(ed) of translating words or sentences. And the teacher won't even /check/ if things are spelled and punctiated correctly.
AQ  Post #: 30
7/21/2008 8:49:57   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Great, even more edits to type up... Ah well, won't happen 'til judging's over. And I can't tell you whether I liked it or not until we finish judging. =P

Hehe, then you're doing awesome. Sounds like my French lessons, lol. I wouldn't /dream/ of actually being able to write in French the way you write in English...
AQ  Post #: 31
8/8/2008 20:45:46   
Lux

Everywhere. I then checked it with my teachers and books, and here I am.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 32
8/8/2008 21:14:04   
time losh

Me learn grammar? Thats unpossible
AQ  Post #: 33
8/10/2008 17:25:19   
SoulSeeker

Who woudn't say the Good ol School? and Reading
Post #: 34
8/10/2008 17:35:19   
Mr. Safety

Picked it up myself
Post #: 35
8/20/2008 17:34:16   
.::oDrew

I certainly read quite a bit when I was younger. Many people fail to recognize how reading is a skill. You can practice reading just like you practice archery. And I'm a very accomplished reader, as strange as that may sound - I got a perfect score on the Reading section of the SAT.

In addition, I entered several creative writing contests in my elementary-age years; in high school, I transitioned to research papers. In my Junior year, I placed seventh overall at the National level of a historical research paper competition.

In my opinion, it is abundantly clear that a young child who learns proper grammar - and learns it well - is almost guaranteed to possess a deep mastery of the skill later in life.
Post #: 36
8/22/2008 10:12:19   
Sinf

School and WoW ( Not everyone talk 1337 in there :P)
Still my grammar isn't perfect.
AQ DF  Post #: 37
9/2/2008 18:42:23   
Fenrir Wolfsoul

I read... books... a lot... and... it made me talk all... proper... lol

Idk really just living just outside town in Ohio I guess no real dialect influence
AQ  Post #: 38
9/2/2008 19:45:20   
Sentharn

I learned mine from two sources, one of which was immensely more helpful than the other.

The first source was (ugh) school. I breezed through that book on grammar and forgot about it.

Then when I started really heavily reading I began to take notes and eventually got better and better at it.
Post #: 39
9/2/2008 19:47:49   
Firefly
Lore-ian

@Fenrir
People say I talk like a writer, lol. It's more than just grammar. It's more like I use words that are more in literature than actual life.
AQ  Post #: 40
9/2/2008 20:31:32   
Necromander

I read a lot. I have incredibly good grammar now, and have acquired a reputation for being a Grammar Nazi. I have a Grammastika too. It's a little headband I put on whenever I correct people's grammar.
DF MQ  Post #: 41
9/3/2008 17:29:07   
Arthur The Brave One

I learned it in my never ending travels around the world on a flying dictionary/grammar book. What?

On a more serious note, I took things up from verious places. And it all started with... *dum-duh-duh-dum-dum* Pokemon trading cards. Not kidding. To be honest, I've never learned a single thing from English classes at school. When I was 13 (start of dutch middle school/high school, not exactly sure :P) I actually was about the level guys who were 4 years older than I am. Now I'm fifteen, and I'm pretty confident I'd be able to clear an English exam (for graduation and stuff) with at least a 6. If not a 7/8. So yeah, I'm pretty confident in my grammar. :P (remember, pokemon cards = dah pwnage:P)
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 42
9/3/2008 22:22:13   
SL

Hehe, forums were a big thing for my father. ^^ He taught me most. Though I must give some credit to english teachers. :P
AQ DF  Post #: 43
9/4/2008 0:50:50   
rakkety tam

My grammar quality comes mostly from reading, with a little help from english teachers over the years. When I actually try I think I do well with it.
AQ DF  Post #: 44
9/5/2008 15:49:32   
ChaoticFlame

I taught myself, I guess. I was always ahead of other students, anyhow...

My main source of knowledge comes from my personal library (Which happens to have about... *counts quickly* 200 books in it...), and I'm still learning. I can ONLY improve...
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 45
9/8/2008 6:59:52   
Mittoo

I type with (aaaalmost) perfect grammar, even on mediums like WoW, MSN or IRC, where everyone seems to use chatspeak.

I picked up most of it naturally, and those I didn't know about were taught to me by a fantastic English teacher. You can actually see, in one of my first RPs, when he taught a lesson on, say, direct speech, because it's reflected in how well I punctuate the story.
AQ  Post #: 46
9/12/2008 13:06:57   
styles1005

I picked up most of my grammar from... uh, I don't know exactly where. Most likely somewhere between Earth and Mars. Oh, that's not what you mean? Why not? I like to type with absolutely perfect grammar unless I am trying to fit in (i.e. playing a multiplayer game or in a chatroom), where I might use shorthand. Otherwise, I get *really* ticked off when either I or somebody else makes a grammatical error.

quote:

I taught myself, I guess. I was always ahead of other students, anyhow...

My main source of knowledge comes from my personal library (Which happens to have about... *counts quickly* 200 books in it...), and I'm still learning. I can ONLY improve...

200 books? Geez, can I read them? It'll only take about a month, depending on their size! No really, my reading (keep in mind I am three years ahead of my age level in school) is PHS (post high school, meaning college level)
AQ  Post #: 47
9/12/2008 16:05:48   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Bah, fast reader and good reader aren't exactly the same. I don't consider myself a slow /or/ a bad reader (just my opinion; I won't be offended if you tell me I'm a sucky, snail-paced reader =P), but there are 12-year-olds who can read faster than I can. =P

I might've forgotten to mention this, but I also learned a lot of grammar from L&L. Yes, I wasn't a grammar-tard when I came, but I've learned quite a bit here. Before, I simply knew what to do subconsciously. I didn't really know the rules of /why/ so, while my writing didn't look too shabby, my critiques contained things like "Comma after 'sometimes,'" with no real explanation because I simply /couldn't/ explain why. All I could do was give an example and know by gut feeling that a comma was needed. =P

200 books? I envy you... I've read about half the spinner in the fantasy section of my school library, but I own only about a dozen or two books.
AQ  Post #: 48
9/14/2008 12:16:40   
Coyote

Same here. It was only shortly after I came here that I started tagging reasons on to why stuff should be that way. That helped my own proofreading abilities /immensely/. I speak from experience when I say that explaining something to a person who doesn't know about it will help you with it so much, it's not even funny.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 49
9/14/2008 13:04:17   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Yeah. Actually getting them to understand is rather helpful to critics too. =P For example, if I could explain why commas have to be there on those occassions (eg. it's joining an independent clause with a dependent one) said person will be able to find those places themselves instead of forcing me to point out every mistake I see, lol.
AQ  Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: Where Did You Learn... Your Grammar?
Page 2 of 4<1234>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition