Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: The Cries of the Wind ~Comments~Prologue added 31/7! I allow you to read now!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> RE: The Cries of the Wind ~Comments~Prologue added 31/7! I allow you to read now!
Page 2 of 2<12
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/16/2008 10:03:02   
Recar Dragonlance

@FF and DD: /me supermegaultrasnuggleattacks Thanks! XD

@Crimzon: Ah, thank you my friend...

1. Naa, that changes the meaning on what she's saying. Think of this sweet yet playful voice saying "I'm not your mother." Sounds more playful than "I'm not even your mother". But thank you. XD A blatant hint towards their relationship. There was supposed to be a bigger pause between me and I'm but the style I'm using for that restricts me. So, it's up to the reader to establish that.
2. XD Oops. Fixed. Since you pointed that out, I realised I didn't like the spacing there. So I changed it slightly so that it indicatees a pause.
3. XD Oops again. Fixed.
4. XD Why?
5. Hehe, that is loose with an s... What was I thinking? XD Fixed.

Thank you very much.

ZOMG! Second page, this story is getting serious now.
DF  Post #: 26
8/18/2008 17:13:09   
Recar Dragonlance

Chapter 5 added. It took so long because it is from Rachael's POV, and for some reason I find it hard. So, enjoy!
DF  Post #: 27
8/19/2008 17:29:25   
mastin2

I'll read it as soon as I catch up. I'm still way back on chapter two, you know. :P

Continuing on...
quote:

She had run for over half an hour, so her breathing had grown to a large gasp for air. Only
a large gasp of air? She only breathed once? Should be 'large gasps'.

quote:

She was at the end of the village, not much could capture her there.
I'd make the comma a semicolon. It seems to need it, though it is just my opinion.

< Message edited by mastin2 -- 8/19/2008 17:35:27 >
Post #: 28
8/20/2008 1:58:11   
Crimzon5

No prob

Anyways... you seem to have interesting titles. Maybe I should add that to my SHVE (Secret Hidden Visions Edits). Heh, when I edited Visions... it had 5+ more pages in MS Word compared to one I posted in the forums. But hey, Visions aint the topic here...

Why does the heartland thing make me laugh? Reminds of those care bear stuff...

quote:

ZOMG! Second page, this story is getting serious now.

Heh, I have 3 (heh, I have conscecutive posts)

quote:

If you wish, I have no objection,” He replied bluntly before returning to smirking at the passing environment. “We are rendezvousing with team Beta at the end of this road.”

If there's one thing that I learned in this forum... it's that a comma should be used there instead of a period.

quote:

I am Sophia; I am a friend of you and a friend of Jason.

*Imagines his baby sister talking* Err... scary. Anyways... I /think/ you mean 'yours' instead of 'you'

quote:

A pair of indigo eyes attempted to penetrate the soul of her opposition. Rachael knew that it was no use – how could you do it to someone who has no soul?

Reminds me of GhostRider. All he had to do was let his opponent steal the contract and merge with a hundred million souls so that he could use his penetance stare.

< Message edited by Crimzon5 -- 8/20/2008 2:00:25 >

Can you see the Visions?
AQ DF  Post #: 29
8/20/2008 16:39:26   
Recar Dragonlance

@Mastin: XD Take your time, don't worry. You have a lot of stories, and I want to pay you back so tell me which one to read and I'll do it : ) Anywho:

1. Ah, that would be wierd. Fixed.
2. I think it needs one too, thank you.

Thanks Mastin...

@Crimzon: I'm taking that as a subtle hint to read Visions. I shall tomorrow. :P

1. ... Fire of the Soul is on its second thread... Yeah, I resorted to that. XD
2. Ah, my bad. Fixed.
3. ... I prefer "you" for the time being... If someone else objects, I'll change it. Stop thinking of your sister... Jason = 17 year old boy. 17 year old + your baby sister = NO. XD

I like the chapter names... My favourite is the Prologue, since that sounds kinda cool.

Thanks guys.

Anyway, map shall be up... hopefully tonight, so you know exactly where the characters are trecking... and the world they are in.

< Message edited by Recar Dragonlance -- 8/20/2008 16:41:07 >
DF  Post #: 30
8/21/2008 8:01:28   
Crimzon5

There we no subtle hint... I dont have hidden agendas and messges unless I'm playing chess :D
AQ DF  Post #: 31
9/17/2008 9:14:06   
demolitiondragon
Constructively Friendly!

Heya! Haven't abandoned you. ^_^

It's a bit late to start critiquing now, but tomorrow is another day... and reading, another matter. ;]

The soundtrack I've got playing in the background /really/ fits with this story.
... Just had to say that. ^_^

*applauds*
I don't know if you'll see this before I get to it tomorrow, but you've left out all italics in Ch. 5.
Post #: 32
9/18/2008 2:30:39   
demolitiondragon
Constructively Friendly!

Don't forget, these are all just suggestions. The numbers are just for reference purposes, not for score, k?

Ch1, after the stars
quote:

A boy, about the age of ten, scrambled across the floor, his eyes wide and his breathing faster than a marathon runner’s at the end of a race.

How about, "A boy of about ten scrambled..." ?
quote:

Nobody was in the street, so no one was there to witness what was going on – of course, if anyone had seen it, then no one would do a thing.

Keeping tense consistant. You're using past tense, so the underlined bit needs rephrasing. "if anyone had seen it, no one would have done a thing, anyway." ?
quote:

Blue eyed and blonde-haired, he was a perfect Yayolite.

Apparently, blonde = girls, blond = boys. Learned that from Crimzon5.
quote:

Except a loaf of bread laid beside him, which the pair of Yayolites seemed pretty annoyed at.

This doesn't really make sense. He was a perfect Yayolite, except for the bread? And what pair of Yayolites?
quote:

The two Yayolites wore long, azure coats that trailed down their bodies and stopped at their ankles.

Nice description.
quote:

A blade was gripped in one of their hands: a long sword, with the words ‘The Heaven’s Will is in this Blade’.

This sounds like you mean only one of them is holding a sword. "Each gripped a blade in one hand: a long sword, with the words 'The Heaven's Will is in this Blade' etched into the metal." ?
quote:

At the bottom of the hilt, a cerulean gem was embedded into them.

How about, "A cerulean gem was embedded into the bottom of their hilts." ?
quote:

Only one of the Yayolites pointed their blades at the young boy, though both of them frowned with condemning, judgemental eyes.

Nice...
quote:

“I said, Boy,” the man holding the blade, with bleached blonde hair that waved in the bitter autumn wind, said in a stern, harsh voice,stand up. You are coming with us.”

The underlined part seems cluttered. Would "the man repeated in a stern, harsh voice, " and then "His bleached blonde hair waved in the bitter autumn wind." after what he had to say, be better?
quote:

Tears dripped down the boy’s young face, his body shaking all at once.

You could say "his whole body shaking" or "entire", if you want to emphasize that.
quote:

His eyes shot from one Yayolite to the other, his heartbeat growing stronger with each glance.

I'm not sure that's the best word... "faster", "beating harder" perhaps? Anyway, that paragraph really captured.
quote:

“He said, stand up!The woman standing next to him bent down and reached for the boy in a rapid movement.

The exclamation mark gives it more force than a full-stop, which is what that comma should be if you decide not to use the !
quote:

However, before the hand reached the trembling young boy, a bullet tore through the air, slamming into the gauntlet of the woman.

Did it go through? If so, "piercing" might fit better. "Slamming" makes me think of other weapons, but not a bullet. You could also say "of the woman's gauntlet." to be less wordy, but what you have is fine, too.
quote:

Both of them turned in unison to see the mysterious attacker, their blades pointed in my direction.

Wouldn't that be "All three" or "Both Yayolites"? It sounds like you're talking about the woman and the boy, until you mention the swords... somewhat confusing.
quote:

“You are under arrest by the Order of Yayole. Place the gun down, Heathen!”

Nice.
quote:

I took a moment to gaze into his eyes, to see the overconfidence glowing in the blue irises.

Keep the tense. The tension's good, too, btw. (Sorry for the pun! =] ) You might also want to substitute "the blue irises" for "those blue irises", but it's up to you.
quote:

My left foot slammed behind me and I raised my hands that were shaped as if I was holding a sphere.

Slammed onto/against what? And the hand shape can be described as "cupped hands" if you'd prefer that.
quote:

But soon he realised what exactly was going on and started to panic.

Could switch those two words, or take out the "exactly".
quote:

His grip on the blade grew tighter, causing a strange aurora to flow from his hands and up the length of the blade.

Need a comma there, and there's a suggested inclusion.
quote:

The words engraved onto the sword started to light up in the azure glow, before the entire blade became this light.

When you have "light" there, it sounds as if it's referring to weight. You could say something along the lines of, "became swamped in this light." or something to make it clearer.
quote:

He pulled the blade back and swung the blade.

Please change the second blade to "it" to avoid repeating the word. You might also want to say how he swung it, too.
quote:

An azure shockwave the size of a house grinded through the ground, tearing it apart on its pathway towards myself.

"Grinded" should be "ground". May I suggest changing the second "ground" to "earth", or "road", or whatever it's cutting through? And a plain old "me" would probably be a better choice than "myself", imo.
quote:

I took a few deep breathes, blocking out the world around me for just a few seconds.

Breathes = He still breathes. Breaths = He took a few deep breaths.
Breath = one inhalation and exhalation. Breathe = the natural pattern of taking breaths.
quote:

It moved fast, like a rush of horses scrambling away from their home when someone let them out.

Horses = more than one. So the other references have to be plural as well.
quote:

Goosebumps appeared on all the skin it flowed past, causing a tingling sensation to spark throughout me.

Passed = It has already passed us. Past = It has gone past.
quote:

This was until it reached their gateway: the palms.

The tense is muddled in this sentence. Perhaps "The sensations continued until the power reached it's gateway: my palms." ?
quote:

In the void between my hands, the energy began to swirl in every random direction.

You mention how it moves in the next sentence. How about, "The energy began to swirl in the void between my hands."?
quote:

The shape had just materialised when the shockwave struck me.

How about "solidified" instead of "materialize", to give it a more solid feel?
quote:

It felt like running headfirst into a wall, except when you run into the wall, it explodes.

Tense, again. "It felt like I had run headfirst into a wall, and the wall had exploded on impact." ?
quote:

The villagers' identical houses around me seemed to twirl around me as pain throbbed from the three scars on my body.

Please don't repeat the "around me". Also, at theend of this, you need to leave another line.

Sorry, I have to go now. But, as always, Recar = flashy. ^_^
Post #: 33
9/18/2008 10:53:48   
Recar Dragonlance

Thank you so much! I shall get to these when I resume the story... However, Fire of the Soul has engrossed me, so until it's completion, this story is suspended. I will get back to it, just not for a few weeks.
DF  Post #: 34
9/19/2008 23:35:22   
demolitiondragon
Constructively Friendly!

Fair 'nuff. Just means that when you get back, I'll (hopefully) have caught up a bit more. ;]
Post #: 35
9/23/2008 13:01:19   
mastin2

~~Resuming critique~~

Well, why? Simply because this is a PERFECT opportunity for me to catch up, and I can't do that with a critique on my mind.

quote:

They too stole, corrupted the minds of the people, and killed.
I'd put a comma after 'They' to slow down the flow. But, meh, I have a slower flow.

quote:

After a few seconds, she had caught her breath, and so she started moving again.
drop the 'and'. You might want to drop the 'so' and make the second comma a semicolon as well. Either works, but as it is...it sounds a little, well, awkward.

quote:

Once she took one-step forward, the phone in her pocket began to ring and vibrate.
Dehyphenate the 'one-step'; it's two works.

quote:

Rachael…just get out of the village, I have just been given reports saying that a powerful Earthican warrior leaves there.
By the way, I'd make the comma a semicolon or a period (preferably the latter). But, anyway, 'leaves' should be 'lives'. 'leaves' is the plural of 'leaf' or the present tense of 'to leave'. 'lives' is present tense for 'to live', which is what you want here.

quote:

Jason...I’m sorry.
This is a thought, no? It needs to be marked as such. (Italicizing it would be the standard, but it really depends on how you do thoughts. You DO need something, though.)

Post #: 36
9/25/2008 21:11:38   
Brynn Summers
Winter-Spring 2009 Honoured Writer

Recar: I really like what I have read of your story so far. Here are the edits I found in the prologue and chapter one. Note: when I think something should be fixed, I put the fixed version in bold. Hope you don't think I'm too harsh! I'll try to get more feedback to you asap but with college life, reading/editing takes a lot longer...

Prologue: Darkness Entwined
quote:

My desperate emerald eyes shot up to the pale, yet muscled figure that stood tall next to my body, which lay slumped on the ground.

Chapter 1: Blinded and Buried
quote:

The two Yayolites wore long, azure coats that trailed down their bodies and stopped at their ankles. On the bottom half, they wore black trousers.

quote:

At the bottoms of the hilts, a cerulean gem was embedded into them.

You are talking about two swords so these words need to be plural.

quote:

Only one of the Yayolites pointed his blade at the young boy, though both of them frowned with condemning, judgemental eyes.

quote:

“I said, boy,” the man holding the blade, with bleached blonde hair that waved in the bitter autumn wind, declared in a stern, harsh voice, “stand up. You are coming with us.”

quote:

“He said stand up.” The woman standing next to him bent down and reached for the boy in a rapid movement.

quote:

“You are under arrest by the Order of Yayole, place the gun down, heathen!”

Tags need to have a common before them.

quote:

Concentrating on the space in between my hands, the flow of my spiritual energy pushed through my body.

quote:

It moved fast, like a rush of horses scrambling away from its home when someone let them out.

Post #: 37
9/27/2008 18:05:01   
Brynn Summers
Winter-Spring 2009 Honoured Writer

Here's the rest of my edits. I really like this story, Recar... I hope you will finish it soon.

Chapter 2: Rival Shades

quote:

Rachael…just get out of the village, I have just been given reports saying that a powerful Earthican warrior lives there.

quote:

Wendy ran up to him, attempting to pull him on his arms.

quote:

“Right, you want to play, bird; let’s play.”

Chapter 3: Acceptance

quote:

“Right, I am going to hunt down Azure; kill this bird before it destroys this village,” Scarlet said, immediately darting from her position to follow the man in blue.

She is giving two separate ideas… so they need to be separated.

quote:

Part of my mind ordered me to chase after Azure and to get Joe back myself, yet a strange nagging doubt pierced these thoughts.

quote:

With a few beats of its wings, the bird lifted off the ground.

quote:

The light began to peel away, revealing the majestic figure of the half-eagle, half-lion.

quote:

I lifted a hand over my eyes and flinched as I was attacked by an onslaught of road.

quote:

Drawing the ruby short sword resting on my hip, I darted at full pace at the bird.

quote:

I walked up to the remains of the dust, bending over to pick up a small charm that lay on the ground.

quote:

The car lay toppled over; the boot of the car was completely crushed and the roof caved in.

quote:

Haven’t you wondered why no one’s even glimpsed out their windows?

quote:

There seemed to be no sign of a battle, so the Yayolites couldn’t have destroyed everything.

Chapter 4: Why Do You Help People?

quote:

She moved her hands from her hand and clenched her fists tightly.

This sentence doesn’t make sense… how do you move your hands from your hand?

quote:

She gave a false, weak smile while her fists remained tightly squeezed together.

quote:

That look told me that I was going to fail – that we were going to die and he’d get a hold of the artefact he was looking for.

quote:

The spiritual energy already flowed to my hands, making the last two wolves easy.

quote:

The electricity encased them, destroying their bodies until they finally blew up in flames.

quote:

At its face, fully black eyes stared at me with Cohah’s vicious glare. On its forehead, a long spike rose outwards, appearing sharper than the rest.

Chapter 5: Fearing Blue

quote:

Rachael, you will fail when the boy is dead. Do not lose hope.

quote:

I am Sophia; I am a friend of you and a friend of Jason. Your fates are… unfortunately intertwined, Cohah will be after you soon. Now quickly, someone’s coming to help you!

quote:

Picking him up, she lugged him into the back seat

quote:

Azure was the most feared Yayolite for a reason, and she did not appear to be a person strong enough to take him.

quote:

Though this was a huge fete that loomed over her, bringing up feelings of complete fear, the blanket of comfort wrapped around her.
Post #: 38
10/21/2008 12:17:01   
Recar Dragonlance

*Dusts off Thread* Well, I miss you old buddy.

I hope you all missed it as well since CRIES OF THE WIND IS BACK!!!!!

Yeah, Fire of the Soul is finished. And the next chapter will be able before I go on holiday. Which is on Saturday : )

As for the edits... I will do them once the chapter is complete. And after I catch up on some reading, I've been neglecting people lately and I feel selfish...
DF  Post #: 39
11/6/2008 9:33:41   
Recar Dragonlance

Recar's back, YEAH!

Anyway, I'm gunna attack those corrections as soon as my eyes stop bleeding.

New chapter that I wrote on holiday. It's sort of like eating too much, it was fun and the content of it is pretty good but the finished product is an orange, lumpy liquid on the floor that is by no stretch of the imagination "good". Sigh, oh well.
DF  Post #: 40
12/13/2008 0:38:23   
demolitiondragon
Constructively Friendly!

Caught up, reading-wise. Loved every minute of it.
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> RE: The Cries of the Wind ~Comments~Prologue added 31/7! I allow you to read now!
Page 2 of 2<12
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition