Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: (DF) Memoirs of Mistress Eukara

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> RE: (DF) Memoirs of Mistress Eukara
Page 2 of 2<12
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/2/2009 14:40:17   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Chapter 25 – Unleashed 

Captain Elf ran through the corridors, checking every room, workshop and storage facility, looking for the creature that went with the nerve-wracking call. Right now, nothing was more important than finding the Chikvir. All that they had worked for regarding this factory would go up in smoke if the Chikvir got in the way. Its proximity to the factory was making Captain Elf nervous as he watched for his other crew members to return and report the sweep of the building. He hated being inside this building, unaware of what was going on outside. Commander Wyvern better find a way to alert me to what is going on. 

In the distance, Captain Elf could hear the running footfalls of his crew as they headed his way. This cannot be good; they left walking and return running. Several men rounded the corner, two of which slid into the opposing wall trying to turn sharply. 

“Captain Elf! The UoN have advanced into the inner halls and rooms. And they come en masse, sir. We cannot hope to hold them off,” a man explained, huffing the whole time. 

“Have you heard from Commander Wyvern yet, sir?” another asked as he rubbed his shoulder. As he had turned seconds earlier, his collision with the wall left the shoulder smarting. Rotating the shoulder a little told him that the bone was going to be deeply bruised and it would be weeks before it was whole again. "Shouldn't you have heard from him by now with orders?" 

“No, I haven’t, Defender. As much as I would like to say that I have a new set of orders from him, I do not. But what I have heard you will not like. The Chikvir is here.” He looked at each man as they returned his gaze, surprised and a bit frightened. 

“But I thought that Commanders Wyvern and Eukara trapped it in a temple on one of the southern islands?” A crewman shook his head violently. “We can’t possibly combat that and the UoN at the same time! We need reinforcements and we need them now just to hold back the UoN. Sir, this is impossible!” 

Captain Elf stepped up to him and slapped him hard, nearly bringing tears to the crewman’s eyes. “If Commanders Wyvern and Eukara could find a way to keep that thing at bay on the island, then we have to have faith that they can do it again. Do you hear me?” 

Its dark, mechanical eyes focused and unfocused as the Chikvir cocked its head and stared at Eukara. Unable to move, Eukara returned the gaze, trying desperately to figure out her next move. The book was lost to her, as it was down below and her ship was starting to take on water. Besides, she knew the Chikvir wouldn’t let her get very far. There was always confronting the beast, but she didn’t feel particularly suicidal at the moment. 

Eukara, get off of the ship! 

I’m trying, Mnemeth!
 Eukara looked around at her options. Her only recourse was to jump ship and the closest railing would put her within the Chikvir’s range. I am afraid I have only one way of escape. Behind me about twenty paces is the only clear path for any escape. Watching the Chikvir struggle to get free alerted her to the rapidly narrowing time frame for escape. But, Mnemeth, that would require me to turn my back on the monster. 

Then turn your back on it and run while you still can! 

In a matter of seconds, the Chikvir was able to pull a wing free. A sweep of the deck told her that everyone was gone and she alone stood on the sinking ship. My crew is safe; therefore, I can leave. 

As soon as she tensed her body to turn, the Chikvir screamed, forcing Eukara to go whether she had second thoughts or not. Turning quickly, Eukara sprinted back to the railing. An explosion behind her sent wood spiraling towards her, whipping past on its way off the ship. Just as she began to gather herself to jump over the side of the ship, the Chikvir dropped in front of her, slamming its body heavily onto the deck. Blocking the only exit she had, the Chikvir’s wide body stood as a monument to all that was wrong in front of Eukara. She slammed shoulder first into the Chikvir’s body violently and fell to the floor in a crumpled heap. 

Reaching out, Eukara tried to pull herself away, but her shoulder still hurt from the impact. The Chikvir’s clawed foot gripped Eukara and flipped her over, cracking her head against the deck so that it could look at her better. Using its weight, the creature pushed Eukara down, pinning her to the floor, its talons piercing her skin painfully. 

Get free, heart sister. MOVE! Mnemeth’s voice screamed painfully in Eukara’s head. 

The claw tightened its grip around her body as its weight crushed her, making it hard to breath. Lowering its enormous head, the Chikvir peered down into Eukara’s eyes, inches from her face. The scream it let loose ripped through her body and the remaining exposed part of her sinking ship. Lifting her off of the deck in its vice-like grip, the Chikvir sprung from the ship, wings pumping as it turned towards the shore. With each push of the Chikvir’s wings, Eukara’ body was jerked around, causing the talons to dig deeper into her body. Trapped helpless in its crushing hold, Eukara screamed for help to the only person who could hear her. Mnemeth! 

Grabbing his head in pain, Soren fought the nausea that accompanied the screaming in his mind. Ryu bombarded Soren with a hundred thoughts at once, none of them discernable from the others. Meringue steadied his commanding officer amidst the explosions around them as Soren tried to sift through all the thoughts. Ryu, calm down! What are you getting at?

Above the din of attacking mercenaries and his own crew yelling out reports, Soren heard the angry call of the Chikvir. He looked up to see the Chikvir flying directly for the island. It’s Mnemeth, Soren. She is insane right now. Both Zhoth and I are trying to restrain her, but we are finding it hard to! 

“Commander Wyvern?” Meringue prodded quietly. The ship rocked as an explosion next to them erupted into the side of the hull, sending debris crashing into the Midnight Crusader. “What is going on? Does Ryu know something?” 

“Something is wrong, Meringue, very wrong. Ryu is screaming about Mnemeth and Eukara, but I can’t get him to calm down enough to tell me anything coherent,” Soren forced through gritted teeth. “Hey! Get those cannons firing faster and aim lower. We aren’t going to sink the mercenaries’ ships by hitting their masts, are we?” he yelled at his crew. “Divert some of our lesser firepower to the smaller boats heading for the island.” 

“Sir, about Ryu?” Meringue questioned again. 

With a wave of his hand, Soren quieted Meringue as he pulled out his C me Orb. The soft green glow poured over his hands as he summoned Captains Ben and KDC. “How are we holding up regarding the UoN and the mercenaries?” 

Hoarsely, Captain Ben spoke up first. “Not good, sir. We need more people on the island to fight. Actually, if you can gather a few more mages and send them over, I would be very happy. The UoN have very powerful mages and those of us that are battling them are getting weary. On top of all this is the command to contain the UoN, barring any form of attack that would kill or maim the members. I am warning you that there are several Defenders having trouble keeping that order.” 

"Same here, Commander,” Captain KDC shouted above the din of swords clashing. “We need more Defenders off the ships and on land. If that means sacrificing my ship to get more able bodied fighters onto the island, so be it. Let my ship sink!” 

Soren, what do I do about Mnemeth! 

“Fine KDC, relieve your men from duty on your ship and direct them to shore. But before they leave, have them load up what ammunition they can and send it on over to other ships. Even better, your second-in-command is a telekentic mage. Have him use those abilities of his to transport the stuff while the ship is evacuated. And Ben, you order the same. Your men have a certain fire that can be very useful in the midst of the battle on the island.” 

Both men answered in unison, “Yes Sir!” Then the orb slowly darkened. 

Soren looked out over the water and stared at the beast that held Eukara’s fate in its sharpened claws. The Midnight Crusader rocked violently as a cannonball hit the side, throwing Meringue and Soren against the ship’s railing. The cracking of the wood below made its way to Soren’s ears and he knew that it was only a matter of time before he would have to abandon his position of command for the lower ground that would afford him less visibility. 

We can’t control her! She has completely lost it and is lashing out at anyone who tries to stop her. Despite everything that Ellaurah has tried, Mnemeth will not settle down. She is trying to get to Eukara! “Mnemeth has gone crazy, Meringue,” Soren whispered. 

Meringue leaned against the rails and shook his head, looking towards the approaching monster with his longviewer. “That means only one thing, Soren: the Chikvir has Eukara and it's coming this way. She has to be in bad shape for Mnemeth to be as crazy as you are getting from Ryu. And if she is hurt beyond measure—” 

“—or she is dead and the monster is bringing her here to shove in our faces triumphantly.” Soren’s voice broke and his shoulders sagged. 

Meringue punched his commanding officer and then shook out his fist, flexing his fingers. “Do not think for one moment that that is the truth! Commander Eukara is extremely strong – one of the strongest people I know. Heck, she is stronger than most of the guys I have ever served next to. Artix doesn’t invite just anyone to battle the undead with him. The king doesn’t ask just anyone to undertake missions of deadly import. They ask her! She cannot be dead. I refuse to believe that nonsense! And you better too, or I will tell her that you gave up when she gets here.” 

Soren rubbed his jaw gingerly and eyed Meringue. No one had ever hit him like that. No one would have been allowed to get away with it either, except he knew that Meringue spoke the truth. If he was going to believe she was dead, she might as well be since he would be useless from this point on. 

I can’t get her to calm down, Elluarah! Ryu sprang into the air and tried to tackle Mnemeth, but the female whipped her tail around and thrashed him in the air. He flew backwards into Zhoth, causing the both of them to tumble into a stand of trees. Shaking the shock of the attack out, Ryu stood and ran towards Mnemeth. Ellaurah was standing to the side while three of her assistants tried to hold Mnemeth down with ropes looped around the dragon’s neck. Mnemeth reared up on her haunches and tossed her head backwards, sending the men flying over her head and crashing into the Ellaurah’s office. 

“Mnemeth!” Ellaurah yelled. “Do not make me to use my own force.” 

Mnemeth turned her face towards Ellaurah, eyes whirling violently red. Don’t force me to use mine! Leave me be or I will be forced to do whatever I must to get out of here. 

Swallowing hard, Ellaurah looked at Mnemeth wide-eyed. She had never been threatened by a dragon before, not in that capacity. To threaten her as Eukara's dragon had caused her to pause. I know she is upset by whatever is going on with Eukara, but she isn't doing anyone any favors by being unreasonable. She watched Zhoth try to take the female by surprise while she and Mnemeth stared at one another. Poor Zhoth. He means well, but she knew what he was going to do before he did it. Man, how many times have I told him to watch out for her back legs! Him landing in the blackberry bushes is going to stain his hide. The mage's thoughts returned to Mnemeth's threat and what the dragon hinted at scared Ellaurah. There were certain draconic abilities that Ellaurah knew of and she was afraid that Mnemeth was actually capable of wielding them. 

“Mnemeth, you are not doing Eukara any good by getting yourself worked up. Calm down and let’s figure this out.” Ellaurah spoke soothingly, trying to will Mnemeth's behavior more manageable. 

No! I am tired of talking. Eukara is dying and I must go to her. Do not stand in my way or I will do something you will not like. Nothing can stand in my way…NOTHING! 

While Mnemeth and Ellaurah argued, Zhoth and Ryu flanked their friend. On a mental count of three, the boys tackled Mnemeth; Ryu sat on her shoulders and Zhoth pinned her back legs to the ground. 

Let me go! You are not helping! 

No, Mnemeth, we can’t let you do this.
 Ryu spoke with an authority that neither Mnemeth nor Zhoth had ever heard from him. You will only get yourself hurt. You will be useless to the Defenders. 

Mnemeth’s eyes flared as she turned her head to look into Ryu’s eyes. If Eukara dies, I have no reason to be useful. In a rush of wing and energy, Mnemeth’s wings snapped open and she pushed off from the ground. Ryu and Zhoth held on tightly as Mnemeth executed a spin move in midair to shake them from her back. Zhoth lost his grip on her and fell towards the ground before spreading his own wings and flying back up towards his friend. 

Ryu bit into Mnemeth neck as he tried to pull her down. You are going to get yourself killed, Mnemeth! I cannot allow you to do that. 

I don’t care what you cannot allow!
 Her roar shook his very bones and he let go of her hide in response. Falling to the ground, he watched Mnemeth fly in the direction of the sea. His shock delayed his reaction to her statement and behavior and he failed to stretch his own wings out. Zhoth flew under Ryu and to save his friend from a hard landing that could have broken the bones in his wings. Rolling off of Zhoth’s back, Ryu opened his wings and took off for Mnemeth. 

Ryu! 

As he hovered in the air, Zhoth looked down at Ellaurah unsure of what to do next. “Go after both of them, Zhoth. You seem to be the only one who is in control of yourself here.” 

Zhoth nodded his head and took off after his best friends, worried about what he would find ahead of them. He feared for Mnemeth; if Eukara does die, he knew in his heart he would be deprived of his most cherished friend. 

“Remember that we are to disable and contain the UoN warriors. Do not, under any circumstances, kill any of them. That is our orders men!” Captain Elf ordered, as he signaled for them to fan out and begin to sweep the halls. 

Slowly walking down the main corridor, Captain Elf and the three Defenders at his side cautiously surveyed the rooms off to the side of the hall. Ten minutes into their sweep, footsteps were heard around the bend of the hall up ahead. The language was Galeocerda and Captain Elf knew that this was going to be more trouble than it was worth. He hated the Galeocerda more than any other sea sentient in Lore. They, of all the sea people, refused to acknowledge that anyone other than themselves was intelligent and possessing of military might. 

Orders are orders… As the Galeocerda rounded the corner, Captain Elf ordered that his men lower their weapons. Holding his hands out and arms wide, he gestured to the Galeocerda that he meant nothing but peace. The leader eyed him warily, holding his trident out in front of him. Elf took that as a positive thing and stepped forward. “Look, we are not your enemy. We do not like this place any more than you and came here to shut it down like you. Is there not a possibility of us working together here?” 

Eyes narrowed, the leader took a step forward and turned his back on Elf to converse with his team. They discussed heatedly and Elf didn’t like the sound of what he was hearing. After a few moments, the leader turned back around. “Considering that you did not attack while my back was turned to you, I will take your word that you are here to destroy that which we desire to destroy also.” 

Sighing in relief, Captain Elf nodded his head. “Then I will share with you what I know. All those who were hired to protect this facility inside are dead. The researchers and assistants have been captured and are held until we can battle and defeat the mercenaries. But we have a problem. The UoN still thinks we are the enemy, so we are trying to defend ourselves from your people while attacking the mercenaries at the same time.” 

The Galeocerda leader looked at Elf thoughtfully. “If this is so, then we are wasting manpower in here!” 

“Exactly. Something isn’t right regarding these mercenaries either in my opinion.” Elf extended his hand to the leader. “I am Captain Elf, Cysero Defender and ally of the UoN.” 

The leader looked at Elf’s hand. As he reached out to grasp it, one of his warriors spat something that sounded insulting. Elf did not show that he understood the tone, but the leader did. He turned and thrust his trident into the Galeocerda’s stomach, twisting it for good measure before ripping it out. Taking Elf’s hand and shaking it strongly, the leader replied. “I am B’lek. Let us gather our forces and see to the outside of this facility. In the meantime, inform me as to why you think that something is not right about the mercenaries.” 
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 26
11/2/2009 14:42:01   
Eukara Vox

Chapter 26 – Potential Loss

The wind screamed past Mnemeth’s face, cutting into the more sensitive hide around her face. Never had she flown so hard or so fast in her life as she did just now. Compelled by, fear torn by grief, Mnemeth headed for the island that had caused so many so much strife. For that was where Eukara was, broken and hurting, in the clutches of that monster.

Slow down! Zhoth broadcasted to Ryu and Mnemeth.

I can’t! Eukara needs me. Mnemeth’s wings cut through the air faster as she pumped her wings harder. She is hurt. There is so much wrong; her head, her body…

Ryu looked back at Zhoth as he pushed his body to keep up with Mnemeth. Good going Zhoth. The harder he pushed, the farther away Mnemeth seemed.

Zhoth struggled to keep up with both his friends. Neither seemed interested in stopping and now he was so far away from Ellaurah that he couldn’t ask her for advice. She was powerful, but she wasn’t his partner, his bonded human companion and therefore could not hear him call from so far away. Then it hit him and he felt stupid.

Ben! Oh please don’t be too caught up in the fighting right now. I need you, brother.

Zhoth?
Ben paused, surprised by Zhoth’s panicked voice in his head. “You three, yeah the pyromancers, I want you to concentrate on the smaller boats trying to reach shore. Recruit six others the help you.” He turned around in time to watch a fireball streak through the air, hitting the side of the factory causing an explosion that rocked the very ground they stood on. “I want three mettalomancers over there and have that fireball analyzed now and replicated within the hour. Where are my energy mages? Would someone remind them that they are supposed to be helping me fight the UoN mages here?!”

Ben…please, I don’t know what to do. Mnemeth is crazy and heading your way right now. Eukara is hurt very badly and Mnemeth cannot be stopped from going to her. Then Ryu took off after her to try and get her back to Ellaurah’s but Mnemeth is much faster and stronger than either of us realized. After that, Ellaurah told me that I have to follow them both and try to keep them from doing anything stupid. But they are so fast and I am not…

Listening to Zhoth and trying to direct a troop of mages was wearing thin on Ben and his conversation with Zhoth had only begun. Slow down, Zhoth. Take a mental breath and calm down. Dropping back to a safer spot, Ben took a deep breath and waited for Zhoth.

How am I supposed to calm down? I am following the two fastest dragons ever hatched in Lore as they head straight into a battle of mages, monsters and people. If I get too close to Mnemeth she will try to kill me. I have a feeling that if I get too close to Ryu he will tail slash me in mid-air because he will think I am interfering. And they are pulling away, Ben. How am I supposed to do what Ellaurah told me if I can’t keep up?

Ben closed his eyes for a second, still trying to assimilate everything that Zhoth just relayed to him. According to Zhoth, he now knew that Eukara was hurt badly enough for her dragon to come. Ryu is on his way because he tried to stop her and poor Zhoth was sent to be the shepherd. Can you tell how far away you are, Zhoth?

A female mage dropped down in front of Ben, wide eyed. “Captain, sir, another mercenary ship has been spotted coming around the back of the island!”

Grasping his hair as if he wanted to pull it out, he blocked out Zhoth’s panicky voice to answer the mage. “Another mercenary ship? Are you sure?”

“Yes sir, the sails match the ones on this side of the island. It is a sneak attack, obviously. What do you want us to do?” She searched his face for an answer, hoping to hear him tell her what she and the others wanted said.

Growling loudly, Ben stood up and faced the water. “Orders will have to be put aside; I will answer for it later. Start gathering the mages and send them on the other side. Take my ring to prove that this is my wish and the Defenders’ wish also. Leave all inhibitions here and attack the ship. Do you understand?”

Grabbing Ben’s ring from his hand, the young woman nodded, her smile somewhat disturbing. “I understand perfectly, Captain Ben.”

I can see a very thin plume of smoke. It is very pale from here, but I can see it.

Ben nodded as he approached the shore. Errant balls of fire and streaks of energy whipped past him as his mages and the UoN mages traded shots. But it did not deter him. You are close, Zhoth. Push yourself, heart brother, as hard as you can and stay with them. What the three of you are about to fly into is a nightmare. Quiet settled in his mind, indicating that Zhoth was doing exactly as Ben had recommended. Ben stood next to the lapping water that gently pulled against the sand amid the violence, almost as if defying the very existence of every fighter.

“ENOUGH!” Ben screamed at the top of his lungs. He held his hands out to his sides as a blindingly white radiance of energy began to grow and dance from one hand to another. The shock of his presence, unscathed in the middle of the crossfire of magic, caused a few mages on both the human and UoN sides to cease their fighting. Glaring at the Sarkanian mage across from him, Ben bellowed out his final judgment. “This has gone on long enough. If you will not accept the fact that we are on your side, then you will just have to accept the consequences.”

Within seconds of Ben’s declaration, both sides ceased their activity. Wide-eyed the UoN mages watched their leader as he stared at the human. Even the waves seemed to still at Ben’s call. In the background, a bloodcurdling scream reached their ears and for a second Ben faltered, knowing what he heard. Quickly, he swept the unease from his mind and focused on the problem at hand. I am tired of these people refusing to listen. My people are dying, his people are dying. And for what? To prove nothing except that the UoN is too stubborn to accept that people on land may actually want to help them out.

“You dare to threaten me, child of the land?” The Sarkanian’s laughter echoed across the water’s surface. Suddenly, the water became choppy, mages immersed in the water to loose their footing. As the wind picked up around the mage battlefield, those on land found it hard to stay on their feet. Blasts of wind whipped by them, pulling on their robes and flinging sand into their eyes. A few kept their wits about them and formed bubbles of protection, encircling themselves and their peers. All eyes were on Ben as he stood steadfast, neither the wind nor the grit touched his body.

Blasted bullheaded, water-wretch! What is his deal? Punching the air towards the mage with his right fist, Ben released a streak of energy that ripped through the surface of the water. Traveling faster than anyone could see, it parted the water and slammed into the Sarkanian, sending the arrogant mage doubled-over and backwards into the water. Screaming in anger, the rest of the UoN mages open fired on the human mages.

“Cluster yourselves in mixed form as you were taught in the palace academy. I do not want any two of the same element fighting side by side, do you hear me?” Ben screamed as he wove his hands in the air, pulling energy and darkness together in a swirling mass that pulsed in time with the running feet of gathering mages. “Counter and protect; no one goes down and no one gets hurt. If these idiots refuse to see the light then we will just have to force their hands!”

Mages who had been heading for the opposite side of the island returned to join in battle. It wasn’t often that the full brunt of Ben’s magic was seen by a common mage. To fight alongside him as he battled the UoN was a treat. No one in their right minds would pass up this opportunity. Falling into small groups, the mages alternated the shields that they formed around themselves while attacking the UoN. Flickering rainbows of color glowed around them and the UoN couldn't keep up with the rotation of the shield. Their elemental blasts were ineffective and the UoN mages made no effort to create their own shields.

Water shot up out of the sea as the UoN's master mage recovered from the blast that he suffered at the hands of Ben. Pointing his coral encrusted staff at the shore, the mage attempted to create a quake to knock Ben off of his feet. The quake jostled the land-bound mages, but it did not deter their resolve. Amidst the exchange of ice, fire, energy, wind, water and earth attacked, Ben and the Sarkanian stared at each other.

All this time, all this death had been a wasted effort of resistance and Ben had had enough. With all his might, he threw the ball of energy and darkness into the center of the UoN mages, following it up with a blast of wind magic to speed it along. The water-bound mages abruptly dove for cover as the ball exploded inches above the water’s surface. Off shoots of the combined magic sought out the exposed body parts of the slower mages who were unable to completely submerge themselves into the water. The collective screams of the UoN mages pierced Ben’s heart, knowing how much pain he was causing tearing him apart. If only they would have listened.

Too slow, the Sarkanian was hit full force by the blast and he screamed as the magic consumed him and ate away all that was material. Ben looked away, not wanting to watch what that combination of magic did to a person. Face turned and eyes averted, Ben saw a slight movement out of the corner of his eye. Another similarly dressed Sarkanian was moving towards the dying mage. You have got to be kidding me. This cannot be happening…they wouldn’t be that barbaric towards their own kind, would they? A blast of light radiated out towards Ben, blinding him. When he regained his sight, before him stood the Sarkanian mage… No, I killed him. I watched his body be devoured by the magic… He looked wildly around at everyone. Surfacing UoN mages looked on their leader with a renewed sense of victory.

“Why didn’t I see this before?” he asked himself. “He should have died the first time yet re-emerged from the depths to confront me. Then he is devoured before all our eyes, yet lives! They don’t see it any more than I did.”

“Sir?” one of the nearby Defender mages asked.

“That isn’t the original mage! They have been replacing the dead one with a substitute!” Shaking with rage, Ben pointed at the new mage. Each word drew him a step closer to the mage. “Imposter! You are not whom you claim to be. This man is not the leader that the UoN placed here; he is not the man in whom you put your trust before we began this fight. You saw him die – twice! Can you not see it?”

Waist deep in the sea, Ben ground his teeth and glared at the poser. A Vagaran mage to Ben’s side slowly looked at Ben and then to his leader, “If what you say is true…why is it being done?”

“Captain Ben! Captain Ben!” a shrill voice called from behind. Ben turned and saw the young woman who had approached him regarding the mercenary ship that was working towards a sneak attack earlier. “We cannot hold off the ship. Very few mages came with me to help hold the ship at bay. And we have casualties, now, reducing our numbers to a point where we are but ants marching across their path.”

Murmurings from both sides of the battle began at once, assailing his ears to the point where nothing was audible. “Silence! All this talking is not allowing me to think.”

“Think all you want, dry-lander scum; there is no hope for you,” the mock leader spat. “We will be victorious over all, no matter how we go about it.”

In a single rapid swipe of his hand, Ben released a bolt of ice directly at the traitor. As the bolt collided with the Sarkanian, it created a cocoon of ice, trapping the man in his deceit. “Everyone, human, Sarkanian, Vagaran, Galeocerda, Mermazon…we have been deceived! This battle was nothing more than a traitor’s way to distract the fighters of good form the approaching mercenaries coming up around the back of the island. If we fought amongst ourselves, no one would be able to stop them.

“I will tell you once more: The humans that I am with have no desire for anything but what is right for you and us. We do not want to fight you; we want to ally with you, to end the tyranny that this factory brought to our homes and environment. To punish those who took it upon themselves to rape the environment of its beauty and welcome. What say you, honorable mages of the UoN?”

A resounding cry went up from the sea, joining an equally loud call from the land as UoN and human mages agreed to be united as one in the battle to save Lore’s seas and the rest of its beauty. Ben watched and smiled, knowing that his job was done and that the mercenaries were in a bit of trouble.

The decision was not an easy one to make by any means. Not knowing if the final decision would weigh him down for the rest of his life, he gave the command anyway. Soren had become quite comfortable on Midnight Crusader, as she had been his constant companion these past months. Now, with his back to her and his face towards the battle at hand he felt as if he was losing something precious.

“Do you think the mercenaries will buy it?” Meringue asked as he trudged alongside Soren on the beach. Climbing the dunes were taking the wind out of him.

Soren glanced back at his beat up retreating ship. “It better. The ships that are already doomed have taken their places at the front of the battle.” He watched the exchange of cannon fire with sadness. “Those who stayed behind are to be honored at the most convenient time in His Majesty’s court.”

Meringue silently walked behind Soren as he resumed the climb up the dune; his thoughts occupying a good portion of his mind. Is Soren truly up to doing this? With all that he has endured – the failed defense of the BoL invasion, the knowledge that so many have already died under his watch, Eukara’s condition or, gods forbid, her death, making the decision to sacrifice lives to cover our retreat… He glances sidelong at his commander. He looks half-defeated already. No, looked half-defeated when Ryu told him about Eukara. Now he looks half-dead.

“Sir, have you any news from Captains Ben, KDC or Elf?” Meringue inquired, hoping that one of them had reported something positive prior to his and Soren’s departure from Midnight Crusader.

“Captain Ben reported that after a strange stunt pulled by the Sarkanians, the mages of the UoN and Defenders are united. They are—”

“What do you mean a ‘strange stunt’?” Meringue interrupted.

“Apparently, the Sarkanians are interested in keeping the animosity alive between the UoN and humanity. When Ben defeated and killed the head mage, they kept replacing him with another identically dressed Sarkanian over and over.”

Meringue cleared his throat and gawked at the back of Soren’s head. “You mean, to make it look like the head mage could not be defeated by human hands?”

“Precisely. But once Ben figured out what they were doing, he forced the UoN mages to see what was truly going on. Now they are united and are currently on the other side of the island to stop a mercenary sneak attack.” A brief smile crossed Soren’s face as he thought about his friend. You’ve come a long way, my friend.

Quickening his pace, Meringue caught up enough to walk by Soren’s side once more. As they began to approach the peak of the dune, he looked ahead at the battle surrounding the factory. Defenders fought UoN soldiers and Meringue could see even from where he walked, Defenders were not killing the UoN soldiers, though there were many fallen Defenders. “So a mage accomplished what the rest of us could not?”

Soren nodded his head, his smile widening. “Never underestimate a dedicated and passionate heart, Meringue. As for Captain KDC, he is commanding our fighters on the beaches where the mercenaries are making landfall. As you can imagine, he doesn’t have much time to talk. He reports though that the Vagarans have joined with him.”

“The Vagarans fight alongside him. Beautiful! Though the Galeocerda are more numerous and the Sarkanians more vicious, I fear the Vagarans more. They are ancient and wise. I fear the smarter fighter than the stronger one.” Meringue inhaled deeply, “And what of Captain Elf? Anything?”

Soren silently shook his head and sighed. As he began to speak, both men stepped up to the top of the dune and looked down on the chaos that reigned below. It was a mess. The small taste of what Meringue saw earlier of the battle was nothing compared to what he saw now. The dune had shielded them from most of the sounds of the battle, but now, nothing stood before them and they could here the cries, screams, shouts and curses.

“By the gods, Commander! It didn’t look this bad from the ship,” Meringue cried out. He grabbed his sword to unsheathe it and ran forward.

“Meringue!” Soren yelled, taking off after his first officer. He ran hard after Meringue, grabbing him by the shirt. “What do you think you are doing running headlong into the battle this way?”

Whirling around, Meringue looked Soren in the eye. “Hesitation will not serve us at this moment. We should go and join them.”

“And we will, Meringue. But we should not run blindly into the fight without a strategy. We must know what the plan is before we can help. Watch carefully and tell me if you see a pattern or a plan to all of this.” Soren released Meringue shirt and spun him around.

Meringue watched the tug-of-war and saw nothing at all that resembled a pattern. But if Soren insisted him watch, then his commander had obviously seen something. He is the War Marshall after all. I guess he would know a pattern when he saw one.

Watching everyone fighting made his hands itch. Meringue wanted nothing more than to run down and slash a path through the UoN. But he restrained himself and watched. Soon enough, Meringue saw something; it was subtle, but he could see it. He noticed small pockets of Defenders amidst the chaos of the battle moving as one. Each pocket attacked, retreated and moved on. As they retreated the UoN followed suit allowing another pocket to come up behind and stun the sea soldiers. Once stunned, each soldier was taken off of the battleground to a safer place. This looks like a well choreographed dance. Are the Defenders this in tune with each other that they can work so well together without a clear high ranking officer calling the shots?

“I see it! Amazing, Commander, absolutely amazing. Now that I see what is happening, may I have your leave to join one of the pockets of Defenders?” Meringue looked eagerly at Soren, who merely nodded and smiled.

Soren watched Meringue run down the dune and insert himself into a pocket of Defenders. As he headed down the dune himself movement from the building caught his eye. Staring cautiously at the doors that opened up, he gripped his own sword and picked up his pace. Halfway there, Soren halted and sighed in relief as Captain Elf and his small contingency of Defenders stepped into the sunlight.

Sprinting towards his friend, Soren found it hard to contain his elation. Thank the gods, someone is safe! I have worried so much. Resisting the urge to run up and bear hug Captain Elf, Soren stopped a couple of feet from Elf and grinned. He held out his hand and Elf grasped it solidly before pulling Soren into a hug.

“My gods, if it isn’t nice to be in the sunlight finally. I find working indoors rather stifling.” Captain Elf shook his head. “This is a mess, Commander. But look, I have found intelligent, sensible men and women of the UoN who listen to reason.”

Soren turned and bowed to the UoN soldiers that filed out of the building and into the glaring sunlight. The leader, a large Galeocerda proudly approached Soren and crossed his chest with his triton. “I am Zh’stos, premier leader of the Galeocerda forces and at your service. Captain Elf has told me about you and what you are trying to accomplish here.” Zh’stos turned to his men and women. “Go out there and stop our brothers and sisters. We must tell them that the Defenders are on our side and on the side of justice. Go now!”

The Galeocerda ran into the melee of swords, daggers, tritons and sais, oblivious to the danger around them. Left and right they yelled out at the UoN fighters, encouraging them to lay down their weapons and stop fighting. The remaining Defenders watched as UoN soldiers slowly obeyed the orders given to them, relief etched into their weary faces.

“My sincerest apologies, Commander Wyvern.” Zh’stos looked Soren in the eye, unblinking, but sorrowfully. “Had I heeded the words of another Defender, we would not be where we are right now. I am ashamed that I had not seen the wisdom in her words.”

Soren stood there for a second, silently staring at Zh’stos. Her? Her? There is only one her that he could be talking about... Soren lunged at the Galeocerda commander before anyone could stop him and tackled Zh’stos to the ground. “You! What kind of person are you, to torture and hurt another living being like that? What gave you the right to do that? Because of you, she is probably dying right now, do you know that? You nearly kill her to prove a point and then you just leave her to the elements, without so much as a thought! Who the—”

Captain Elf pulled Soren off of Zh’stos with the help of one of his subordinates, directing two others to hold the war marshall securely. “What is the meaning of this, Commander Wyvern? I bring Zh’stos here, worked out a treaty of sorts and stop the fighting on this part of the island and you attack him? And what non-sense are you screaming about?”

“You don’t know? How, by all that is sacred, do you not see who this is? He admits it with his own mouth!” Soren fought for his release, pushing one of his captors into the sand beneath their feet.

Drawing his sword, Captain Elf stood before Soren; his eyes were wide and searching. Meringue ran up to the group and looked from his Commander to the Defender captain bewildered. “What is going on, sir?”

Eukara? Mnemeth’s frantic voice shattered Eukara’s silent mind. Don’t close your eyes, I beg of you. Stay awake!

Mnemeth, everything hurts so much. My head throbs as if my brain is beating itself against my skull. The Chikvir slammed be against the ship’s deck without caring whether it damaged me or not. With every wing stroke, its talons sink deeper into my body. I am…finding it harder to breathe the longer I am in its clutches. Eukara strained to lift her head to look at her body, knowing that she really didn’t want to see the results of her time at the Chikvir’s mercy. Wide crimson stains bled into her clothing, spreading out like cursed flowers unfurling their petals. Already weak with blood loss, the effort it took to hold her head up caused her head to reel. Darkness crept in and eventually swallowed her whole.

Eukara! Mnemeth screamed as she felt her sister disappear from her mind. So abrupt was the disconnect, that Mnemeth stopped the push of her wings. She fell from the sky, turning head over tail.

Zhoth, to Mnemeth! Ryu dove sharply towards Mnemeth, with Zhoth close on his tail. We need to stop her spin before we can stop her descent.

I know! If we don’t we will fall prey to her spin. Zhoth tried to communicate with Mnemeth but he detected nothing. She is unresponsive, Ryu. Something must be wrong with Eukara.

Both dragons reached her side and pulled up slighty to match her speed. Her eyes were dull and Ryu shook his head. She is in shock. We are on our own in this.

Circling Mnemeth, both dragons looked at each other and Zhoth voiced what both were thinking. This should be interesting then, Ryu. Mid-air rescue training doesn’t start until the summer! Zhoth watched for a moment gauging the speed and looked at Ryu. We have to use momentum and force and push her the opposite way without getting tangled up.

Oh yeah, and as soon as we do that it will snap her out of the daze and BAM! We are in for it.

Better us beaten than her dying, Ryu. On the count of three, you go for her shoulders and I will go for her tail. 1…2…3…

Simultaneously, both dragons swung once more around and flew directly at their spots on her body. As they pushed Mnemeth, her spin slowed but did not show any signs of stopping.

Push harder Zhoth!

I am trying to, Ryu. But I am being dragged horrible. I am not as big as you.
Zhoth pushed harder against her tail and his shoulder smarted from the effort. He realized that the tail end of a dragon was not the most stable end of a dragon.

Ryu looked down, realizing that they may not have much time. Dragon eggs! Zhoth the water is coming at us fast. We have to catch her. I will get under her and you grab her from above and push with your wings like you have never pushed before. Got it?

Zhoth rose above Mnemeth and wrapped his legs around her body as Ryu got beneath and rested his back against her stomach. Both dragons pushed as hard as they could and the descent slowed. But as hard as they tried, they ran out of time and all three dragons plashed down into the sea.

The impact and coolness of the water brought Mnemeth out of her daze and she lashed out under the water. Both Zhoth and Ryu were thankful that her movements were hindered as she attempted to swim. Zhoth pushed her towards the surface as they struggled to reach the air all three of them needed. When Mnemeth broke through the surface of the water she tried to fly, awkwardly throwing her body around in the process. Ryu surfaced just after her and tried to calm her.

Mnemeth, would you stop flailing for a moment and calm down?

Where am I? Why am I in the water? What did you two do to me?
Mnemeth screamed mentally as she tried to tail lash Ryu. Her unsuccessful attempt caused her to sink deeper into the water. Zhoth pushed from below, more to get to desperately needed air than to save his friend. Gasping for air he kicked Mnemeth in the hindquarters and stared at her.

Get a grip, Mnemeth! You nearly got us both killed. I know that something is wrong, but give me a break. Continue this and I will leave you here to fend on your own and curse Eukara!

Mnemeth blinked a couple of times at Zhoth and broke down into tears. I couldn’t save her, Zhoth. I have lost her. What do I do now…I can’t live without Eukara.

Zhoth and Ryu looked at each other and an understanding passed between them. Nodding at Ryu, Zhoth spoke calmly to Mnemeth. Mnemeth, look at me. How do you know that Eukara is dead? Do you have any proof? You are lamenting over her death, yet I see nothing in your eyes that indicates she is truly gone. Slowly, as Zhoth distracted Mnemeth, Ryu pulled at her wings with his teeth, spreading them out to dry in the sun. You know the stories that we are told at Ellaurah’s, about how it feels to lose your sister or brother. Ellaurah’s heart sister, Coriath, told us once that it is supposed to feel as if your heart has been ripped out of you and that half of your soul is missing. Do you feel anything like that? Zhoth slowly spread his wings also, hoping to catch the sun just right to dry them off, and looked into Mnemeth’s eyes.

…No. Mnemeth shook her head solemnly.

Then, you can safely conclude that she is not dead. Ryu swam to Mnemeth’s side and nuzzled her cheek. She very well may be in grave condition, but you have not lost her yet. Until you feel what Coriath described, you must not lose hope, for Eukara will know and she needs you to be the strong one now.

You guys are the greatest friends. But we will never get there. We are all wet and our wings are soaked. There is no way we will get off the surface of the water now. Several tears trailed down her dark green cheeks.

Zhoth laughed. But Mnemeth, you are dry. All of us are. While you were moping about, Ryu made sure that your wings had the chance to dry. We are all dry and ready to be off when you are ready.

Awww!
Mnemeth spread her wings over her friends in a draconic hug. The boys reciprocated and they nuzzled each other for a few seconds before Mnemeth announce she was ready to go. The three dragons labored to get out of the water, but did, scaring a pod of dolphins in the process. As they headed for the island, Mnemeth took the lead, but this time, they stayed together.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 27
11/2/2009 14:42:45   
Eukara Vox

Chapter 27 – The Chikvir Arrives

“She told me everything! She told me about her captivity, about how she was treated; how she nearly starved because no one aside from one Vagaran took care of her. Every Galeocerda soldier scoffed at her and abused her. And you…you most off all wouldn’t heed her words and it has now blown up in your face!” Soren eyes widened, his mouth twisted in anger, “And now she could be dead because of you!”

Pushing his captors into the sand, Soren lunged at Zh’stos, driving his shoulder into Galeocerda’s ribs. Zh’stos fell back against the wall of the factory, the breath knocked out of him as struggled to separate himself from Soren’s grasp. Soren pulled back his fist and punched Zh’stos in the face. Blood began to pour from his nose but he made no effort to wipe it from his skin. Looking Soren in the eye, he stiffened as he saw another swing headed towards his face.

A pair of arms wrapped themselves around Soren’s chest and heaved him off of Zh’stos. In one smooth movement, Soren was thrown to the ground away from the Galeocerda Commander. “What do you think you are doing here, Commander Wyvern?” Leaping up from the ground, Soren spun around ready to fire back his response. Before him stood Commander Allingby, staring at Soren disapprovingly, while surveying the situation. “Why, Soren? What has made you become this creature of rage that I see standing before me?”

“This man, this commanding officer, could have stopped so much bloodshed had he but listened to a voice of reason. But instead he threw off sound reasoning for a bloodlust that has drastically reduced our numbers by his own troops.” Soren pointed at Zh’stos menacingly. “Everyone knows that the Galeocerda hate humanity. But to allow that hate to cloud intelligence is unacceptable! And to top it all off, he was one of those that held Eukara prisoner. So it is his entire fault that our people are dying, that Eukara was almost dead when she was found and now—”

“Commander, enough. Pointing fingers and accusations are not going to stop what is going on! I cannot believe that you have allowed yourself to be consumed by hatred yourself that you contradict your very words.” Commander Allingby shook his head, “I am disappointed in you and—”

“Wait.” Zh’stos stared at Soren, understanding perfectly clear what was going on, and in turn understanding what he must do. “This man does not deserve the reprimand you hand out, sir. I ask that you hear me out, please. May I have your name?”

“Commander Allingby, Cysero’s Defenders,” he said as he bowed slightly. “I am curious as to why you would be so willing to clear his name. He attacked you, seemed intent on beating you to a bloody pulp and threw serious accusations your way. So enlighten me please, as to why I should withhold my reprimand on Commander Soren.”

Zh’stos pulled himself to his feet and looked at Soren first and then to Allingby. “Commander, what he says is the truth. I was one of the ones that held a Defender by the name of Eukara prisoner some months ago. She was put into a small cage and held against her will under water. Though we knew it could potentially make her sick, we did it anyway. She was neglected, except for Gerahar’s attentions and care. Even when Eukara showed signs of weakening, illness and mental anguish, nothing was done to relieve her of her condition. She was forced to endure physical “training” towards the end to make her seem healthy to the people who ran this factory. She was to be our negotiation or sacrifice to make our point.”

He stopped a moment before going on and looked at Soren. “When she was asked for advice, she gave it without malice, judgment or hatred. Gerahar had reported on several occasions that her people, the Defenders, were not to blame and should be contacted for support. I refused to see the truth in her actions or Gerahar’s statements. Then I abandoned her here on the island, very sick and weak, because I thought she deserved to die for what humans had done. I didn’t care at the time.”

Reaching behind him, he pulled his triton from his back and presented it to Soren. “I deserve everything Commander Wyvern would like to do to me. Had our places been switched, I would have acted the same way.”

“That does not excuse his actions, Commander Zh’stos,” Allingby stated. “No Defender is at liberty to act in such a manner.”

“I realize this. But, if someone were to take my mate and treat her with such disrespect and blatant disregard for her life, I would have done the same as the commander. Though, I am sure that I would have succeeded in killing him.” Zh’stos looked Soren in the eye and cringed at the hatred he saw there. I am worthy and deserving of his wrath, as I am deserving of it from all humans. “The morality of your commander caused him hold back and I am sorry to say that I do not have the same morality as he. I should be dead, but I am not. On the same token, the fact that I did not listen to reason and am responsible for such destruction as my UoN troops caused have made the situation worse. Take my trident and do as you wish, for that would be the punishment I would have to submit to at home.”

Soren stared at the trident that Zh’stos presented to him, now unsure of his own thoughts. He deserves this death; delivered by the very weapon he used to kill others without care…doesn’t he?

Depends on why he deserves it, Soren.
Ryu’s voice sounded strained, but his message was clear.

He jumped into a war without restraint. He has killed so many and for what? He condoned and contributed to Eukara’s imprisonment and mistreatment. He— Soren wavered internally as he looked on Zh’stos as he awaited judgment.

“It is admirable of you to take the brunt of responsibility off of Commander Wyvern. But the matter stands that his behaviour is unbecoming of a Defender, no matter the circumstances.” Allingby watched for a reaction from Soren. When he didn’t get one, he continued. “Have you nothing to say for yourself, Commander?”

Stop right there, brother. If Eukara was conscious right now, she would have knocked some sense into you and told you to stop lying to yourself. You know as well as I that you want someone to pay for Eukara’s misery, not for the war.

His throat tightening, Soren pushed the triton back towards Zh’stos. You are right, Ryu.

Suck it up and do what Eukara expects of you. Be the man she is in love with, not the hopeless boy that stands before his equals. She is not dead yet and Mnemeth, Zhoth and I are on our way…We have no choice, trust me. Mnemeth took off and we had to follow. We will continue this when I arrive.

Abruptly, Ryu was gone and Soren realized that he had been standing there in front of two armies, silent and vacant-eyed. They probably think I am insane. Wouldn’t be too far from the truth. “I cannot take your weapon, Commander Zh’stos, for if I do, I become a monster. One far worse than I have labeled you.”

Waves of magic hit the ship continuously, element after element, in no particular pattern or order. The randomness of the attack made it nearly impossible for the few mages on the mercenary ship to counter. Ben enjoyed watching the mercenary mages try to counter the onslaught on land and sea. UoN mages made a wonderful accompaniment to the human mages. If only they had seen this before, we would be done with the whole factory situation. Oh well.

Ben directed a few cell groups of mages to change places and attack at a different angle. Already, the ship had slowed down and was on its way to a complete stop. Cannonballs whizzed past and hit the beach, exploding and spraying sand in all directions. Mercenary gunfire peppered the area, mostly unsuccessful, though a mage here and there was hit. Ben had been prepared and had a core group of healers stationed out of reach to attend those who were injured.

As successful as this seemed, Ben knew that their victory here would be pale in comparison to the slaughter everyone else was experiencing. He wanted to celebrate, pat the mages under him on the back, but it would seem trivial once they returned to the other side of the island. And he knew that it wasn’t just the mercenaries that threatened them, but that the Chikvir was nearly there. Once it gets here, we are in trouble. That monster has haunted us for as along as I have been a member of this group. We have never managed to defeat it. And with Eukara at its mercy, many of the Defenders will be reluctant to attack, even though I know for a fact if she could she would be screaming at us to do so.

Adding his own magic to the fray, Ben engulfed the sails in mage fire. The blue flames bellowed outward, infecting anything else it touched, running down the mast and spreading across the deck. Mercenaries dove off the ship and into the deep blue water below, only to be met by the UoN mages that had approached the ship. It mattered not where the enemy turned, they were met with a wall of magic that left them with no other recourse but to die or give up.

“Destroy the ship! Blow it up so beautifully that the other side of the island will think that we are having a party and shooting off fireworks! Leave nothing, I mean nothing, to help identify that ship,” Ben yelled, challenging the mages.

Suddenly, an eerie silence fell over the mages as each prepared their strongest spell for the attack. The mercenaries that capitulated stared, wide-eyed and mouth agape, at each mage as he or she closed eyes and began to call forth a spell. The air vibrated with the gathered power, resonating in unison, UoN and human alike until every person was in sync. The soft footfall of one solitary mage approached Ben, though never once throwing off the pulse of power.

“Captain Ben, I believe that there is someone on the ship that shouldn’t be there!” It was the young female mage from before. She whispered lowly, “And whoever it is, waves the Defender colors.”

Ben looked towards the ship, casting an augmentation spell on his sight. Those are Defender colours! But who…Anoril! That has to be who is doing that. “You are one of our teleportation mages, are you not?” Ben responded without looking at the girl.

She swallowed hard and nodded, her voice cracked as she replied. “Y..yes sir, I am.”

“Then here is your day to test whether you can earn your next stripe, mage. Bring whoever that is back.” Ben looked her in the eyes.

“I have never worked with anything bigger than a small child’s chair, sir.” Her voice, panicked now, began to rise in pitch. “Certainly not anything alive!”

Accept, he willed. He stared into her frightened eyes, never blinking. Accept it now!

She looked at the ship and back at Ben for two seconds. "If I must, I will do it, Master Mage." She bowed her head low and tried to keep herself from crying out of fear.

Ben put his hand on her shoulder. "I would not ask you if I did not already see, in you, the ability to do this." Turning her face up to his, she saw the sincerity in his face. "Find him and get back."

Nodding slowly, the young woman disappeared from view. Ben felt the rush of power hit him after her teleportation. We will have to work on concealing our exits, won't we? She will have to be watched. Abruptly, the colors disappeared from the small window. Ben counted the seconds. Five. Ten. Fifteen. Twenty. Where is she? She should not be taking this long!

The sun began slip beneath the horizon as Zh’stos stared at Soren, beside himself. He refuses to take my triton an exact revenge! What is this madness? Do not humans have the same rules as we do? Humans are civilized people, as are the races of the UoN. Shouldn’t that mean that we all handle things like this similarly? “You refuse to exact revenge, for the pain I caused your mate?”

It was then that Soren realized that Zh’stos was referring to Eukara as his mate and that he had done it moments before. She is, isn’t she, by his definition? “It is because of Eukara that I stay my hand. I have already made a mess of things because of my love towards her. I cannot create further trouble by doing the exact opposite as she would wish of me.” Soren looked Zh’stos, face to face, and shook his head. “No, I do neither of us good by acting on emotions better left for a training ground.”

Soren looked at Allingby, hoping that his fellow commander would leave the issue for another time. The look on Allingby’s face was indescribable. “Hold up. You and Eukara are—”

Commotion on the fringes of the gathered troops interrupted Allingby’s question. UoN soldiers and Defenders alike were pushing away from the shore and heading inward. Men and women were pointing at the sky as others rushed by, trying to get far from the water. Suddenly, a piercing scream ripped through the air, smashing its way towards Soren. His heart stopped for a brief moment before his feet took him towards the sound.

“Soren! What in Lore are you doing?” Allingby screamed after him.

Unable to stop his feet, Soren ran towards the scream of doom. That monster has Eukara and I will get her back. It will pay for whatever it has done to her. Skidding to a stop in the sand, Soren watched the Chikvir barrel down on the island. Allingby slammed into his back, unable to stop as he too watched the beast maneuver through the air towards them.

“Is that what I think it is?” he asked fearfully.

Hovering for a few seconds in the air, the Chikvir focused on Soren’s face and presented Eukara’s body to him. Her body was lifeless as it lay in the monster’s clawed foot, limp as a rag doll. Soren wanted to cry out, call her name, but knew in his heart she couldn’t hear him. His fear rose in his throat, threatening to cut off his breathing. Half-choking, Soren stood still as the creature stared at him.

The Chikvir’s eyes dilated and narrowed as it watched Soren. Then, almost in an act of malice, it stopped beating its wings and landed on the sand with a loud thud. Eukara was not spared the landing and both Soren’s and Allingby’s bodies involuntarily shook. Opening and closing its talons, the Chikvir shrieked at Soren and snapped its large beak.

“Warriors prepare your swords and get into small core formations!” Allingby shouted, pointing at strategic places to settle each group.

Soren waved at the Defender captains. “We need to set up a rotation! Remember what we fight. Defense is more important that offense.”

Allingby held his arms up and slammed them down to his sides. “Hit it with all you got!”

“We need a plan!” Soren screamed.

Soren and Allingby shouted out orders simultaneously, throwing everyone present into confusion. Both men were calling out contradictory orders, forcing the Defenders and UoN alike to choose who to follow. Some fighters formed up in core groups, while others set about assigning people to rotations. Then, in staggered groups, everyone attacked the Chikvir.

Raising itself up, the Chikvir watched the oncoming horde through unnatural eyes. Seeing the threat approach, it lifted each wing, allowing the guns to drop from their compartments. The Chikvir aimed for the people rushing it and opened fire. The sound of the ammunition’s discharge rang through the air as fighter after fighter dropped onto the darkening sand. Soon, everyone was running for cover and what little sanity there was left with the lives of the fallen. There was nothing that a sword could do in the face of the Chikvir’s offense.

“Fall back immediately!” roared Soren, trying to desperately corral the survivors. As the men and women retreated, the Chikvir stopped its barrage of bullets. People swept past Soren, buffeting him, nearly knocking him to his feet. Allingby stared at the Chikvir, shaken and pale.

Once everyone was a safe distance from the Chikvir, they turned to see how many of their friends had fallen in the few moments of attack on the bane of Cysero’s Defenders. Allingby looked at Soren apologetically, knowing that he should have deferred to Soren’s judgment. No apology would make up for the slaughter before them.

Soren turned back towards the Chikvir and stared at it. Now that he was out in the open, he could see the Chikvir for what it was - an enormous monstrosity of machine and animal, built to kill. Its size was comparable to the house that Soren himself lived in No’Bell. The house that I intended to share with Eukara after all this was over.

The Chikvir stared back, blinking only once. And Soren could swear that a very human taunt was displayed across its horrendous face.

Waiting was tearing at Ben’s heart, waiting for the young woman to return from something she should never have been sent to do. He paced back and forth, as the pulse of the power around him waited for the word of release. Stopping for a moment, he looked at the ship he was about to destroy, watching people still running around trying to reverse what his mages had already done. Idiots. Can’t they see that there is no hope? Why do they insist on staying on there?

Suddenly, the air around him shifted slightly and the young mage appeared before Ben. She fell to her knees before him, skin translucent and slick with sweat. “I…found him, Master Mage.” Letting go of Anoril, she collapsed to the ground beside the Defender Sword in her hand.

Kneeling beside the young woman, Ben took her hand and gave the order to attack. “Hit the ship with everything you have! I don’t want to see a plank of wood after you are done!” He gently laid his fingers on her throat to check her pulse, finding it very lethargic. Her skin reflected the colors of the mage attacks as each element raced through the air towards its target. He whispered to her as he swept a strand of hair from her face. “I am sorry.”

Anoril bent down and picked up his sword, gently as he did not want to cause the young mage any more harm than she had endured for his sake. He watched the display of the Defender’s entire mage corps as it destroyed the ship. In awe, he stood as the explosions sent up something akin to a fireworks display. Pity more of the mercenaries couldn’t be saved. Anoril looked at the ones surrounded by mages, watching their shipmates die in the attack. They all deserve to rot in the dungeon of the king’s castle. That or at least pay for what they did physically. Hmmm, handing them over to the Galeocerda or Sarkanians wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

Turning his attention to Ben, he watched the young mage… Master Mage he corrected himself, pick up the young woman. Only then did Anoril finally meet the eyes of the man responsible for rescuing him. “Thank you, Ben. For a minute there, I saw my life flash before my eyes as I watched every Defender mage power up to attack. I have to say that it was a very intimidating display to watch. You have no idea, seriously, what something like that looks like to a mundane warrior. I daresay it is why so many mercenaries jumped ship.”

Ben smiled slightly, proud of the mages under his charge. “They are formidable fighters, General. One day, I hope the rest of the world sees what you did.”

Anoril clapped Ben gently on the back. “Captain, if the rest of the world sees what I saw, they would tremble at your feet and never be able to look you in the eye without fear. Nay, I think for now, it is just as well that they don’t see that. Mages would be even more isolated than they already are.”

Turning to the mages that had gathered around the two leaders, Anoril opened his arms wide. “You have truly made the Defenders proud today. Not only did you rescue me, but you took down a mercenary ship alone. You are a formidable force to be reckoned with and I smile knowing to whom you owe your allegiance.” Anoril nodded and turned around, making his way towards the front of the group. “It is time to join the others. I assume they are on the other side of the island.”

Anoril started forward but soon realized that he was alone in the march. When he turned around to look at the group, he found that the mages were looking at Ben for instruction, not Anoril. They stood silent and expectantly, awaiting Ben’s orders. The Master Mage looked at his general proudly and questioningly.

I understand. Who am I, but a warrior who does not understand the ways of mages? He is their leader, for it was not I that led them successfully through this turmoil but him. Anoril bowed his head low, giving Ben the position he earned.

“Let us go and save the warriors from themselves!” Ben roared to the army of mages, both UoN and Defender alike. The response was jolting, as Anoril swore that the very yell they answered with shook the air around him. The mages marched, determined and faces hardset, causing Anoril to pity anyone that may cross their path.

Captain KDC’s breathing labored greatly as he watched the fighters under him attack the final escape boat from the mercenary ships. The injury he sustained an hour ago made breathing torturous, in turn sapping what little energy he had left. Sitting aside and watching everyone fight chaffed at him. I should be fighting, not sitting here like an invalid! I still have plenty in me to get the job done. But is didn’t matter how much he thought he could bring to the fight, the Vagaran set to watch over him had already made it clear that if he moved, there would be trouble.

“That is the last ship correct, Gerahar?” KDC grunted.

The Vagaran turned her eyes on KDC and nodded. “Yes sir, it is. They are taking care of it efficiently. You have no cause to be alarmed.”

That’s just peachy. “Can I at least get closer to watch the final strike?” Trying not to pout, KDC looked away from the fight and stared at the slowly darkening water. “I hate being so far away from my men and the action.”

“Are all Defenders like this, Captain KDC?” Gerahar inquired as she stared at him. Her eyes made KDC uncomfortable, for he could not tell if she spoke out of curiosity, playfulness or frustration. “I mean, are all of you this determined to beat yourself into a pulp to make a point or get something done?”

KDC looked at the Vagaran astonished. “You haven’t spoken to me in an hour and suddenly you ask me that! What spurred that question on?”

“You sit here, wounded deeply in the abdomen, breathing labored and yet you want to go watch. As if you have to make sure it is done right, or perhaps slip through my grasp and participate.” Gerahar watched the battle, proud of her own Vagaran brothers and sisters engage the boat as it neared shore. “You are not the first human Defender that I have had to watch over. Had she not been so sick, I am sure that she would have been a handful.”

KDC tried to laugh at Gerahar’s statement. “This ‘she’ could only be one person. You are the one that took care of Eukara during her imprisonment.” Though he was trying to be positive, KDC winced as his voice conveyed a touch of rage.

“Yes, Captain, it was me for a time. I liked her very much. Had the circumstances been different, I think she and I would have made great friends. I tried everything I could to help her, but everything I did needed to be done in secret.” The Vagaran smiled solemnly and continued. “She got so sick at the end; physically, mentally…I think she thought she was going to die. And there wasn’t anything I could do about it.”

They quietly watched the boat sink and the prisoners bound. Lifting a sword in the air, one of the Vagaran fighters yelled into the air, claiming victory. As he did so, an explosion of sound and color drew their attention to the west. Somewhere off the opposite coast, something was destroyed and destroyed good. KDC surmised silently. What the heck just happened over there? The main battle is north of here!

Watching the Vagaran fighters and Defenders approach caused KDC to sit up more. No one needs to know how bad this is just yet. “I think we have a decision to make,” he addressed the group. “We can either head to the main battle or intercept what ever caused the explosion on the other side of the island. What do you say?”

Discussion ensued, leaving KDC to wonder if this decision will cause them problems. Finally, a silence settled over the group and a young Vagaran stepped forward. “I believe that we would like to intercept what may be coming this way from the explosion. If it is a foe, it would be better to engage them out here than to let them surround us in the north.”

Smiling widely, KDC nodded his head towards the young woman. “Very well, gather what you need, fighters, for we intercept what may be an enemy at our backdoor!” Slowly easing himself off the enormous rock he was set upon, KDC stood at the front of the marching army and led them northwest through the forest.

After a few minutes, a Defender approached cautiously. “When the last boat came in, there were king’s men on it. They claim that they were on Commander Eukara’s ship headed here for negotiations. What do you want me to do with them?”

“Send them up here. This could be interesting.” KDC struggled to walk, slowing up a bit as Gerahar joined him. “Who on earth would have been held hostage on a mercenary ship from Eukara’s ship?”

“We were,” a harsh voice answered.

Turning slightly, KDC saw a man in a dirty suit walk up, followed by three knights. “And who are you?”

The man cleared his throat. “I am Dr. Montgomery Fastion, chair of the King’s council. These are the knights sent to help me negotiate a peace treaty between us and the UoN that Commander Eukara began: Sir Laeg Olahs, Sir Thomas Beauford, and Sir Krystof Skylr.”

KDC nodded to each one in turn, his eyes lingering on Sir Laeg Olahs’s face. Why doesn’t he make eye contact like the others? Surely a knight of his reknown would have the confidence to look me, a lowly Defender captain, in the eyes. “I see. And where, pray tell, Commander Eukara, because she is certainly not with me. And I have heard nothing from the others to indicate that she is with them.”

“She’s not here?” Sir Olahs gasped and looked around, slightly panicked. “But surely she got off the ship before it sank. No…she has to be here on the island somewhere.” Sir Olahs glanced at Dr. Fastion briefly and then looked at the ground and spoke under his breath. “No, this cannot be happening.”

“Remember yourself, Sir Olahs.” Dr. Fastion walked next to KDC and answered KDC’s statement. “I can only hope that she got off her ship. It was attacked by something you Defenders call the Chikvir. She forced everyone off the ship before I assume she made her own escape.”

The Chikvir!!! “Did you see her actually leave the ship after you did, or did you just run for your lives without so much as a thought to her safety?” KDC looked ahead to avoid glaring at the men in his company.

“All I saw was her attempt at keeping it occupied so that the rest of us could get to safety. I have no idea how or if she got off her ship.” Dr. Fastion shook his head, “So tell me about this creature the Chikvir. Where did it come from? What is it exactly? And why does it have such an interest in the Defenders?”

“You are going to walk here beside me, tell me that a powerful creature attacked one of my commanding officers and then sweep it aside as if nothing so that you can ask me questions that I have no interest in answering?” KDC couldn’t believe this guy. What an insensitive idiot! Luckily, the knights know to keep their mouths shut.p

Dr. Fastion raised an eyebrow at KDC’s demeanor and cleared his throat. “As one of the King’s Council, I think I am entitled to getting answers to any question I decide is worthy of asking.”

KDC smirked, “And as a Defender, Dr. Fastion, I have the right to deny answering any question I want to, by word of the King.”

Growling internally, Dr. Fastion glared at KDC. “Yes, that blessed immunity granted to your people in payment for your services. What a convenience to play at the most inopportune times. Fine, if you will not answer questions about the Chikvir, will you tell me about Mnemeth, Ryu and Zhoth?”

KDC stopped in his tracks and whirled around to face Dr. Fastion, grimacing slightly at the burning sensation it created across his stomach. “How dare you speak their names without permission! No one speaks the names of the dragons so casually. I suggest that you just keep quiet until we get to Commander Soren. He can deal with you.”

“I merely wanted to know what it takes to get one of those creatures and how it is that Soren, Ben and Eukara managed to get their hands on one! Is that so awful of me?” Dr. Fastion retorted. “What is so special about the animals anyway?”

KDC, despite the pain, marched harder towards the point of interception. He didn’t know what it was about Montgomery Fastion, but the man seemed a little too interested in things surrounding his friends.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 28
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> RE: (DF) Memoirs of Mistress Eukara
Page 2 of 2<12
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition