Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: =PROSE= What Are You Reading?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: =PROSE= What Are You Reading?
Page 6 of 9«<45678>»
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/29/2009 12:22:24   
Firefly
Lore-ian

It's not that I dislike /all/ YA books that aren't speculative. It's just that I feel they do not have great universal themes. They speak to drug addicts, basketball players, farmgirls, ect. but it's rare that they can speak to a population that isn't "in" their range of the novel. If I'm making sense. Also, there's the fact that many YA authors seem to think kids can't handle description so I end up racing through the whole novel without a clue of how anything looks like. See the description discussion thread for more on that.

That being said, I do read YA. In a way, I have to. Bookclub has nominees for some YA award and we're supposed to read and vote. I find that I don't like those books as much as, say, adult fantasy. Back in middle school, things were better. There were more "adventure" books and less "highschool sucks" books--that's largely responsible for my feelings that YA is actually a step backwards from children's lit. And there was also Kenneth Oppel. =P No surprise he won two years in a row (imo, he was head and shoulders ahead of the competition, but anyhow, really off topic now)
AQ  Post #: 126
4/16/2009 13:33:09   
Frenzy Soul

Re-reading Keys to the Kingdom again.
Working on finishing Empress.
Re-reading I am the Messenger.
Re-reading the Book Theif.
Re-reading the Abhorsen Chronicles.

DF  Post #: 127
4/20/2009 8:01:39   
gwoonjustin
April 2008 Writer of the Month

Just finished Thoreau's Walden, and Nietzsche's Also sprach Zarathoestra (Thus spoke Zarathoestra I believe is the common translation). I'm planning on reading something by Beckett, Brave New World. Possibly some more Nietzsche. He's pretty great.

< Message edited by gwoonjustin -- 4/20/2009 8:02:28 >
AQ  Post #: 128
4/20/2009 10:23:25   
Sky Ever

Currently reading Vampire Kisses Series, currently finished the first one.. So far it seems to be good, the main character is too
odd for some reason >.>, but hopefully it gets better ^_^
DF AQW  Post #: 129
4/20/2009 15:47:18   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. Last depressing dystopia novel I have to read for class and then I'm free.

Finished rereading A Game of Thrones. That speaks for how awesome it is, since the last book I reread right after reading it was the final Harry Potter book...

Read a few pages of the second Artemis Fowl, but I doubt I'll be truly reading it anytime soon. Might give mainstream YA another try. Waiting for A Clash of Kings. Might decide to read nothing 'til school's out or else my writing and my schoolwork suffers bigtime. So... yeah.
AQ  Post #: 130
4/20/2009 19:59:26   
jerenda

Eew, my class is reading Brave New World. Horrible book.

Sorry, that's probably off-topic. Then again, maybe not. ^_^

I'm reading David Edding's books, starting with the Belgariad series, and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Two ancient, great classics (?) - or at least pretty intense series - at the same time. Should be interesting. Up to Book Three in the Belgariad, and just finished book one from the Wheel of Time. Weird parallels are forming in my brain. ^_^
AQ DF  Post #: 131
4/20/2009 22:46:08   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Brave New World appears to be the worst of the three dystopians we're reading (the others are 1984 and The Handmaid's Tale). I'm only a little bit of the way in it so I don't want to pass too many judgements.

Wheel of Time... Ramble time. The concept is good (other than the fact that, assuming you think of this as /a/ last battle rather than /the/ last battle, then the whole story is pointless), but I can't deny that the later books get really slow. No, slow's not the word. It's like a ping-pong game where they just keep hitting back and forth and making no progress even if stuff is happening. And most of the female characters act like someone set their fuses alight when they were little--kinda like the book version of Neon Genesis Evangelion females minus Rei. And the male characters aren't much better. Seriously, all the men talk about how willful/foolish/whatever the women are and all the women talk about how stubborn/stupid the men are. Though some of them do have their redeeming qualities. Some of them (such as Elayne, or am I spelling her name wrong?) are just downright annoying. Actually, I didn't find them too bad, just a little off, until people started talking about it... and then I'm like, "Oh, that's what's wrong with them..." Anyhow, the first five or so books are good. After that, my focus started diminishing. I'm still stuck at book seven and I doubt I'd have the time to restart any time soon. I do plan to finish them. Just not soon. But yeah, they're right up in the top ranks of modern high fantasy, so they're worth a read if only for the epic concepts.
AQ  Post #: 132
4/26/2009 5:29:44   
Xirminator

Currently expanding into science fiction with Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, Foundation by Isaac Asimov, and a collection of stories by Arthur C Clarke.

I also recently finished The Gone-Away World, by Nick Harkaway. I highly recommend it, if you're at least 15 years old. :P
AQ DF  Post #: 133
4/26/2009 12:38:59   
MechaMaster77

I am currently reading Speaker for The Dead, the second book in the Ender's Game series. Umm, after that I plan to read all the other Ender books and who knows what I'll read after that.

Speaker for the Dead offers some interesting insight and it's cool because it uses a lot of Portugese words which i find different but good. So far it's a really great read and I recommend it to anyone... who has patience. It can be boring at some times and it's very hard to concentrate on reading and not letting your mind wander, I can usually only read it when it's very quiet and nothing else is going on.
DF MQ  Post #: 134
6/6/2009 14:59:10   
jerenda

So my books were recently all fiendishly stolen and returned to the library for me before I could read through them all. But I managed to preserve a list of all of them, and intend to restart the Wheel of Time and Belgariad series' from where I left off. ^_^

If I can find the list I made... my list... *lower lip starts to tremble, and eyes grow big and mournful* No... where is it... *tears* My list! It's gone! *sadness*

Well, I'll restart them when I find my list. *leaves computer to search madly for list* *destructive noises are heard in the background*

(On-topic, I was also reading The Winter Knights from the Edge Chronicles and Queste by Angie Sage. Anyone like those series?)
AQ DF  Post #: 135
6/6/2009 15:03:11   
not steve

I dont read much sadly, i always have a book or two i am working on but i usually just read them at night when i don't feel like writing. right now i am reading "The assent of money: The financial history of the world" by Neil Fergeson.

AQ DF  Post #: 136
6/6/2009 18:41:02   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Haha, end of the year has been a good time for me. My school library is selling their discards for 10 cents! I was pretty happy until I found out that most of L&L gets off before me. <_<

I had to return Eragon and Jane Eyre, but oh well, I can read them next year.

Currenting read Thendara House, part of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover books. So far, so good. Better than the collaboration between her and two other female fantasy writers that was my first reading of her works.

I just finished George R. R. Martin's A Feast for Crows. I kinda feel sorry for him because of how many fans are complaining about the lateness of his next book, but I can understand why they're frustrated. The series hasn't lost me yet as my friend warned. And no, the characters didn't all die. I think I kill off more by percentage myself (in some stories), so I can't complain. The main issue is that all the sane characters are dead, so if you're not a freak who likes the insane characters (me), then it might be a bit gruelling.
AQ  Post #: 137
6/6/2009 19:15:48   
SL

Johnny Got His Gun, for the fourth time, 1984, again, and Black Like Me.

< Message edited by SL -- 6/6/2009 19:16:07 >
AQ DF  Post #: 138
6/6/2009 23:45:16   
Lightquake

I'm reading Sphere for the hundred-and-somethingth time. Michael Crichton FTW!

AQ MQ  Post #: 139
6/7/2009 2:47:42   
Sentharn

Sphere was one of the first 'thrillers' I read; very involving and somehow realistic, although something about Crichton's writing style bothered me at first (As usual, the feeling went away after the first few pages)

I am currently working my way through 2061: Odyssey 3 (After finishing 2001 and 2010 for the second time in a year. What can I say? I like Clarke.)
Post #: 140
6/7/2009 10:11:02   
Albino Slug

Just started reading Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged.
...Again.
It's one of the most pivotal and meaningful books for me. It honestly has changed my life, and how I perceive life. I would definitely recommend it to people.
Post #: 141
6/21/2009 16:26:27   
Arzamol

I'm not really reading anything right now. The only thing I brought to the vacation I am on was a copy of "the last olympian", which I finished. Now, I am on a quest for a book store that sells good books in english (I can read spanish, but it's not the same).
DF  Post #: 142
6/21/2009 19:12:28   
Firefly
Lore-ian

"False Memory" by Dean Koontz. I bought it a long time back in a thrift store and never got around to it. It's very interesting so far, and engages me more than any thriller/horror should have a right to. =P (As much I'd like to claim that I'm unbiased in terms of genre, that would be entirely untrue)
AQ  Post #: 143
6/21/2009 21:14:57   
Gianna Glow

Just finished recently reading Pride and Prejudice. Its one amazing book. Jane Austen is such an amazing writer. This book has quickly become one of my favorites... and the movie as well. (not as good, but pretty good for a movie)
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 144
6/22/2009 2:03:12   
Fornever

I've recently finished The Family That Couldn't Sleep. Very interesting book, and I enjoyed it, even though I don't usually like non-fiction.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 145
6/23/2009 10:25:40   
Xplayer
Roaming the Web

I'm required to read Atonement for AP English 12. It looks interesting so far, but it's pretty long.
AQ AQW  Post #: 146
6/30/2009 14:40:53   
Gianna Glow

Just read Treasure Keeper by Shana Abe. It was written in a very usual way, but has an amazing storyline. I enjoyed it... though i do have to read it again to understand the epilogue, that was a little dense. i'm wondering whether its a series.

anyways, next i'm going to be reading Emma and Sense and Sensability by Jane Austen. I loved Pride and Prejudice... so we'll see how those go.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 147
6/30/2009 15:52:05   
marvin_the_robot

Re-reading Animal Farm again for the the heck of it. Also just finished The Last Olympian recently.
DF  Post #: 148
7/8/2009 14:14:34   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Finally finished Dean Koontz's False Memory. It wasn't OMGAwesome, but the last one hundred pages really made up for the parts where my attention wandered.

Reading Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight. So far, so good.
AQ  Post #: 149
7/8/2009 17:37:51   
Arzamol

After weeks of having nothing to read, I finally have something. It's called "The Mirror Prince"

Seems good, but I have only read a chapter and a half so far.

< Message edited by Arzamol -- 7/8/2009 17:38:45 >
DF  Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: =PROSE= What Are You Reading?
Page 6 of 9«<45678>»
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition