Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 34 - Conspiracy Corner: Werewolves (Cow Face)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 34 - Conspiracy Corner: Werewolves (Cow Face)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/22/2008 22:21:12   
Circe
Stand Back

Conspiracy Corner: Werewolves!
By Cow Face

Ah, lycanthropy, the condition that sounds to me like some rare disease. Of course, some would say that it is a disease. However, there are many explanations for how one would become a Werewolf, and even more for what happens once one has transformed. Despite the many theories, they all lead to the same inevitable conclusion: Werewolves are evil! I - oh, wait a minute - I have a letter here.

To: <cowface@conspiracy.corner>
Subject: The article you're writing.

Bovine Frontskull, I want you to think carefully about what you're about to say. Do you really want to alienate yourself from an entire race of Darkovia Forest? After all, you already got yourself bitten by a Dragon, so I don't think that you want a race of angry wolves, particularly when you look so tasty. So if you're going to say that we're evil, you'd better have some good proof ...
XOXO,
Were-King

Oh, my. It seems as though my mindless rhetoric won't let me slip out of this one. But what else can I do? Looks like it's time for: Researched rhetoric! To avoid having to run like I'm being chased by a pack of wolves (Yes, I am aware of how cheap that was), I'm going to have to actually study them. Then I can put in mindless rhetoric!

Werewolves are a large part of many cultures' mythologies. The concept is quite popular today, with Werewolves being involved in much of fantasy literature, games, and television. Nowadays, the generally accepted way to transform into a Werewolf is to be bitten by one, and thereby given lycanthropy, the "Werewolf disease." However, if you look back at old superstition and legends, there were many other ways to become a Werewolf. Maybe you spat on a gypsy's crystal ball, and she put a curse on you. Perhaps you put on a belt (or worse, an entire pelt) of wolf hide. Being bitten did it to you as well. Sleeping under a full moon could have rather furry results, though it could also allegedly drive you insane - that's where the term "lunatic" comes from, with "Luna" being the name for Earth's moon - as well as being the name of a Roman moon goddess. There were (and are) many other ways of transforming as well, of course, but these are probably among the best-known.

Why are Werewolves considered evil? Well, for one thing, they're creatures of the night, much like Vampires. That's not a quality that'll endear you to many peasants. Worse still, they feed on human flesh, which humans tend to value rather highly. Also - not to seem unfair - but, they weren't human, which also roused the people of the land. We humans are often rather prejudiced against all things non-human. To top it all off, they just weren't natural - and they were considered minions of Satan, which really frightened superstitious peasants.

At least, that's the Terran reasoning. On Lore, things tend to be a bit different. They still transform on every full moon, but there seems to always be a full moon in Darkovia Forest. Furthermore, the transformation can be performed at the subject's will, at least during battle. Also, they seem to be more generally accepted by Lorians than by people of Terra, many willingly becoming a Lycanthrope (or Lycan, for short) themselves. In fact, it could be argued that while the Terran Werewolves were at least malevolent, the Lorian Lycans (that could be a sports team!) are fine. As an investigative conspirator, though, it is my duty to argue right back at those people.

I am a fan of Werewolves, please understand that. I find it fascinating how they fight Vampires, protect little girls' gardens, and form pie-making street gangs. Also, Lon looked quite good in jewelry during the U-Games; I think the earrings really set off his eyes. Nonetheless, I feel that I must bring to attention the subterfuge these wolfmen and wolfwomen have attempted.

Firstly, a question: Do you like pie? Many do, noting that it is far more truthful than some of its other confectionery cousins. Some point out that its filling can be considered better than frosting. Oh, how I do love pie. However, if there's one thing I hate, it's a corrupted pie. And what have those naughty Werewolves over in MechQuest been up to? Contaminating pies with a substance that would cause Lycanthropy. Or, as it has also been referred to, Pie-canthropy. This has ruined the integrity of what was once so truthful a dessert. Go to the Soluna City Police Department to fix this problem.

If pie isn't your thing, how do you feel about flowers? I find that they are quite tasty when - wait, you probably like the smell of them. That's nice too, I suppose, but is it so great when it's being covered by the scent of Werewolf? I doubt that the Lycan in question even used cologne. Which wolf, you ask, performed such a heinous crime? None other than Lon in DragonFable. Sure, he did it to protect a little girl's garden, but that's no excuse. You can find Lon (and Chaney) in Amityvale, at the Crystal Clear Lake.

Also, do you like Vampires? If you do, (or if you don't but prefer them to Werewolves, or if you don't care either way and just like fighting things) then you can join the fight against all of those scheming Werewolves in Darkovia Forest in AdventureQuest. Of course, those Vampires certainly aren't innocent, either, so you can also fight against them as a Werewolf. Or become a Werepyre, if you are a Guardian.

Though at the moment I am writing this I have not yet received intelligence from AdventureQuest Worlds, I wouldn't be surprised if those misbehaving Lycanthropes make an appearance there soon.

Happy Mogloween, and stay safe if you go out candy hunting! Note: Even if you're going to give out candy, or stay at home with a garden hose, waiting for rollers - wear a mask! You do not want to deal with a Moglin if you don't have a mask on Mogloween.

< Message edited by Circe -- 10/22/2008 22:32:35 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 34 - Conspiracy Corner: Werewolves (Cow Face)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition