Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 35 - Mage, Fighter, Thief Part 4 (Eldron)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 35 - Mage, Fighter, Thief Part 4 (Eldron)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/5/2008 18:43:42   
Maegwyn

Mage, Fighter, Thief - Part 4
By Eldron

6. DAY 2

We arose the following morning, settled our account, and resumed our journey. In the distance could be seen the Carpelian Mountains, still several days' walk away. We walked in silence most of the time with only the necessary communication between us when we stopped for our noon-day meal. Ramalad seemed distant as if his mind was filled with some upcoming monumental task. At some point he stared off into the distance at the mountains. He seemed to shake his fist at them and we resumed our walk. By sundown the mountains appeared to be closer. Closer, in fact, than would be thought possible. It was as if we covered two or three days' distance in a single day. We found a secluded spot off the road and Ramalad cast Leomund's Secure Shelter. The shelter resembled a small log cabin with an entrance, two small shuttered windows, and fireplace with a hearth. The interior was quite plain with two basic cots and a table with two benches.

"Not exactly the Iron Eagle," I said, referring to our previous night's lodging.

"Forgive me!" said Ramalad. "Perhaps his highness requires more suitable accommodations!"

"NO, Master!" I said quickly. "I did not mean to imply that this was inadequate. Forgive me. I was actually thinking in a positive sense: no drunk humans to deal with. The shelter is more than sufficient."

"Forgive me," said Ramalad. "Of course you meant nothing by your comment. It has been a long day and I am tired. I fear I am not as young as I once was."

"I understand, master," I said, "I too am tired, and I consider myself in better than average condition. Shall I hunt for dinner?" I asked.

"Yes, Boreleon," answered Ramalad, "an excellent suggestion. I will start a fire and put some water on to boil."

"I shall not be long," I said as I left the shelter.

It had been a long walk and Ramalad appeared to have aged with each step. In addition, he seemed distant as if lost in thought. I was beginning to become concerned about this journey and the toll it was taking on him. It took a little longer than I had anticipated to catch two rabbits, and when I returned to the shelter Ramalad was fast asleep on one of the cots. I cleaned and dressed the rabbits. As if in anticipation, Ramalad had a pot on to boil with water and some vegetables. I cut the rabbit into smaller pieces and threw them into the pot. Setting the pot of to the side so it would cook slowly, I banked the coals and took up my own cot. I too was in need of sleep. The rabbit would make an excellent breakfast, I thought, as I drifted off to sleep.

I awoke to the smell of the rabbit simmering in the pot. I thought myself not entirely awake, however, because I could also smell fresh baked bread. This surely had to be a dream. Suddenly I sprang up. It was not so much as something I heard, but rather something I did not hear. The shelter, save for the bubbling stew, was utterly quiet. Ramalad was gone. I quickly searched the hut, which was rather unnecessary given its size and furnishings, and the surrounding woods. There was no sight of my master. I began to feel a sense of panic rise and had to force myself to calm down. This is not all that serious. I have survived many times before on a hunt for several days with far less than I had at present. And, surely Ramalad would return soon; definitely by nightfall.

I returned to the shelter. If I was to be alone for a while, it may as well be on a full stomach. When I lifted the pot from the coals I noticed a strange metallic object buried off to the side. I removed it also. It had no definite shape. It appeared to be an object of some sort wrapped in paper, but no, the paper was more a shinny metal. It was some strange hybrid of a silverish metal and paper. It was unaffected by the fire. I carefully unwrapped the bundle to find, much to my joy and amazement, fresh baked bread. My master, it would seem, is forever full of surprises and mystery. After eating and cleaning, something that was becoming second nature to me, I decided to explore the surrounding country. As I was gathering my things, I noticed a scroll and a note on the mantel.

The note was from Ramalad. "Eldron: I had to leave to accomplish some personal business. I shall return, if all goes well, by sundown. The accompanying scroll should keep you busy. Remember what you have learned. Ramalad"

I carefully unrolled the scroll and read it. It contained a handful of spells: Detect Magic, Alter Self, Knock, Dispel Magic, and Feather Fall. I smiled silently to myself. This was going to be a good day.

I rebanked the coals in the fireplace and set out to explore. The countryside was basically wooded. The trees were old growth and the land sloped gently towards the west and the mountains. Being unable to decide which way to go, I fashioned a small pointed stick. This I tossed into the air. I would go in the direction it pointed. It pointed uphill towards the west. The forest held the usual animals, plants, and birds. In a short time my elfin skills were well back up to their normal ability levels. Around mid-day I stopped for lunch. I sat quietly and enjoyed the pieces of rabbit and bread I had saved from breakfast. Off to the side I heard a small stream flowing over some rocks. I quickly found it and finished off my meal with a cool drink. Suddenly I felt rather tired. I decided to take a nap on the bank. I was soon fast asleep. I awoke with a start to find my short nap had lasted several hours and it was now quite dark. Panic rose inside me. I quickly grabbed my things and ran off into what I thought was the direction I had come. After about twenty minutes I realized that I was completely lost. I fought to calm down the panic. "Think, Eldron, think!" I commanded myself. Since it was late with no hope of finding my way back, I decided to continue up a little ways in hopes of finding a cave or other suitable shelter. After a while, I came upon a small cabin. There was no sign of occupancy. I cautiously approached the cabin. Concluding it safe, I unrolled my scroll and attempted to cast a Knock spell. I felt a little weakened but the door did not move. Next I tried "Dispel Magic". This too served only to drain my energy. The door did not move. At this point my frustration was mounting. In a last effort I tried "Detect Magic." Again, nothing happened. Finally in sheer anger and frustration I threw myself at the door. It opened without the slightest effort. My total surprise turned quickly to total terror,however, when I realized that the cabin turned out to be only a cabin wall. Behind this wall was a sheer cliff of unimaginable height. I was in total shock and falling fast. It took several moments before I realized the ungodly noise I was hearing was my own screaming. I closed my eyes. After what seemed an eternity, which in reality was but a few moments, I heard a voice in my head. "Now," I heard Ramalad's voice, "would have been a good time to use Feather Fall."

"Of course!" I yelled, opening my eyes to find myself kneeling on the floor of our shelter in front of Ramalad. "Master, I ..."

"Have a lot to learn," Ramalad interrupted. "I only pray I live long enough to teach you - and you, live long enough to learn"

7 The Mission

"Get off the floor," said Ramalad.

"Master, I did not realize that ..." I began.

"Please," interrupted Ramalad, "do not explain. I am aware of what happened. Luckily for you I returned in time and found you missing. Come to the table; dinner is ready."

I felt like a complete fool. As we ate our meal I found it extremely hard to even look at my master. I couldn't help but feel that I had let him down. I was not sure if this day was something Ramalad had orchestrated to test me, or, if it was as he said, a stroke of luck that he had returned when he did. After dinner Ramalad sat by the fire.

"Come, Boreleon," Ramalad said. "Sit by me."

I sat down by Ramalad. He pulled out a flask, took a drink, and passed it to me. I took it and stared at it questioningly.

"Go ahead - it won't kill you," said Ramalad, "or make you grow leaves."

Ramalad chuckled to himself at some private joke. I took a small sip.

"Ch...ch.ch..chia," Ramalad whispered to himself.

"Master?" I questioned.

"Nothing," said Ramalad. "I was just thinking of an old acquaintance."

We spent the next ten to fifteen minutes passing the flask and staring at the flames.

"By tomorrow at this time," Ramalad began, "we shall have crossed the mountains into the west countries. Tell me what you know of them."

"Not much," I said. "It's mostly human settlements which are usually fighting some war or another."

"That," Ramalad said, "about sums it up. Which brings us to the purpose of our journey. My services have been requested by one side in such a war. We are proceeding to their settlement."

"You mean we are getting involved in a human conflict?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yes," said Ramalad.

"Why?" I asked in total shock.

"Because," said Ramalad, "to borrow a twentieth century saying, it pays the bills."

"But that makes you," I began, "a ... a ..."

"I believe the term is mercenary," said Ramalad, completing my thought.

"You sell your services to the highest bidder?" I asked incredulously.

"Of course," said Ramalad. "I am the big, bad, evil wizard - remember? Please spare me your righteous indignation. What do you think wizards do? We do more than pull little bunnies out of hats at kiddy parties!"

"I suppose," I said. "It's just that, I don't know, it seems dirty. I realize that is what you do. I just never really thought about it."

"Be that as it may," said Ramalad, "we are en route to such a conflict. It would seem someone has seen fit to run off with the mayor's daughter. Our job is to try to retrieve her before thousands die over it."

"But if they are in love," I said, "how can we interfere? What gives us, or anyone, the right to break up young lovers?"

"Unfortunately," began Ramalad, "love and politics do not mix. People destined to rule cannot always have things their way. I would think you, of all people, would understand that."

We sat in quiet for a while, Ramalad staring into the flames and I thinking of what to say.

"What then," I ventured, "is our intended action?"

"I am not completely sure," said Ramalad. "I suppose we will have to play it by ear when we get there."

"Still," I said, "it somehow does not seem right."

"You forget," said Ramalad, "we are talking about humans. They fall in and out of love at the drop of a hat and they breed like rabbits. Short-lived species have little understanding of or appreciation for love."

"I suspect you are right," I said. "It does seem a pity, though."

We finished the flask and turned in for the night. Tomorrow should prove to be a very interesting day.
Post #: 1
11/6/2008 10:55:18   
Cow Face
One Heck of a Guy

As always, this was a very interesting tale. I'm more intrigued than ever, and I can't wait to read the next part.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 2
11/8/2008 10:18:34   
~JW~

*Le Gasp* This is A Great Story! Cant Wait For The Next Part!
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 35 - Mage, Fighter, Thief Part 4 (Eldron)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition