Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 36 - Overview of Vartai Culture (Cyrus)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 36 - Overview of Vartai Culture (Cyrus)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/19/2008 18:01:48   
Maegwyn

Overview of Vartai Culture
By Cyrus

It's been some time, but I have returned with a new bit of information for you. I was asked to elaborate on the culture and the nature of the Vartai, and since I'm in a particularly good mood, that's what I'll do. Indeed, should you ever have the fortune of being allowed to visit Medrovia or one of the smaller Vartai towns, you'll find that life isn't exactly what you're used to.

Despite what you might think, most Vartai are not as violent as the warriors you've likely seen in the past. In actuality, most despise fighting, and only do so when absolutely necessary. Killing other creatures, especially fellow Vartai or dragons, is usually considered one of the most grave offenses in their culture. It is only accepted in the most dire of circumstances, such as when protecting loved ones from a direct assault.

The Vartai are actually extremely peaceful creatures. They age slowly and have long lifespans. Family is most important to them, perhaps because of the extended incubation time required for thier eggs to hatch. In less troubling times, they're known to be quite affectionate with mates and family. As would be expected with such importance, hurting a mate or family member is considered the most grave offense in Vartai culture, and is punished quite harshly.

Most Vartai find what they love to do most in life, and find a way to make a good life for themselves from it, even if they're more skilled at something else. While it seems like all Vartai are incredible warriors, few actually are. The truth is that those who act as warriors love fighting as much as avid fishermen love to catch fish. The warrior's love of battle is what makes them a truly dangerous foe.

Vartai enjoy various celebrations throughout the year, including Frostvale, despite its incredibly odd nature and the trouble that seems inherent with it as of late. There are also four other holidays at the start of each season, the festivities devoted to each of the four most influential Avatars. Spring celebrates the creation of new life, summer brings order to that life, autumn balances it with chaos and freedom, and winter destroys that which no longer lives to clear the way for new life. Another noteworthy day is the day Medrovia was formed by Medros, the first High Khan of the Vartai. That day in particular is one where almost every Vartai takes the day to celebrate their culture and the Vartai's accomplishments in the years since the territory's foundation. Song and dance are highly common in both Common and Draconic tongues during the celebrations, as are appropriate feasts of the finest food and drink known to them.

Contrary to popular belief, the Vartai do not often eat large amounts of meat. It is extremely difficult to raise livestock in northern lands, especially near the mountains. As a result, the Vartai live mostly off a diet of fish, in addition to the particularly hardy types of vegetables and fruit found in northern lands. Much to the chagrin of human dignitaries (and, occasionally, to traumatize the more squeamish ones), they often enjoy eating the fish raw. They are fond of new experiences as well, and are known to work out agreements with other nations just to have an opportunity to share more exotic foods with as many Vartai as possible. Despite its frequent enjoyment by humans, alcohol is quite rare among Vartai, due largely in part to its rather disastrous effects when combined with the physiology of certain dragons.

The Vartai are also known to seek guidance from the five Draconic Avatars. Large temples dedicated to them are located in key points around Medrovia, and those seeking guidance are known to ask one of the Avatars directly in these locations. In day-to day living their beliefs are simple: Do the right thing. Those who act against their fellow Vartai, or other humans, still know that the world finds ways to balance itself out, and that in doing so, their actions might just have a terrible price for them to pay later.

I could go into much greater detail, but I'm afraid my time here is up for now. There's much to handle in the near future, as I've been hearing rumors of strange, cross-planar artifacts, in addition to people with very strange beliefs about dragons. As much as I'd love this to continue, I'm afraid I have a few investigations to conduct. Until next time, humans ...
Post #: 1
11/21/2008 15:34:04   
xehanort

Thanks for the info Cyrus.
This should help out my research by a great deal.
Let's just hope no overzealous dragonslayer gets any ideas when they find out what i'm doing.

At least i don't think we need to worry about Galanoth anymore (I do believe we have your sister to thank for that)
His underlings might need a bit of "reigning in" so to speak though.

Hmm...Note to self, beat some sense into the next moron who tries to follow me.

What can i say...I have a thing for dragons...At least the ones who won't try to barbeque me on sight. The evil ones gives the rest of dragonkind a bad name, something which i am understandably not to happy about.

Out of character: Nice article! Quite informative.
AQ DF  Post #: 2
12/30/2009 1:20:42   
lightmage14

Good to know most of the stuff in my fanfics turned out surprisingly accurate.

I should look through these more often, they're really helpful. I wish you luck with whatever else you decide to do.
DF  Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 36 - Overview of Vartai Culture (Cyrus)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition