Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 36 - A Chorus of Dragons (Eukara)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 36 - A Chorus of Dragons (Eukara)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
11/19/2008 18:06:14   
Maegwyn

A Chorus of Dragons
By Eukara

Although there are many people in the world who profess to know a great deal about dragons, very few have explored the music and song found in dragon kind. Perhaps it is too hard for the limited human mind to imagine our Draconic cousins as having such culture, such civilization. Sadly, most humans regard Dragons as brutish, greedy creatures with no passion outside of burning, killing and hoarding.

A careful observer of Draconic culture will in fact testify to a very complex and emotional musical tradition among Dragons. Music ranges from the very wild and hectic displays of territorial dispute to the elegant and calm arias of courtship. Very few humans have been given the opportunity to witness such enchanting moments, even fewer have ever truly heard a Dragon's song in its entirety. Sadly, that is because many layers of a Dragon's song or musical production go beyond the hearing of most humans.

There are several components of Draconic music. One such component is created through the Dragon's own body. This is a deep, guttural sound that originates in the stomach. It is enhanced by deep breathing techniques mastered by the oldest of dragons, creating a resonance that can be heard for hundreds of miles. A Dragon, whether the originator of the sound, or its mate, will then hit the abdomen. Though this is the easiest sound for man to hear, it is probably the most dangerous, as more than one adventurer witnessed a most ticklish dragon trying to produce the sound.

Another component of the Draconic music is the whistle. Now, to most of us, whistling isn't the easiest skill to master... Imagine, if you will, trying to master whistling when you are expected to produce a range of sound that rates far above and below the hearing of humans! Even the most experienced Dragon whistler can takes centuries to express such sounds. A Draconic band is most impressive when there is a whistler in their numbers. Whistlers also tend to produce sounds that mimic the environment they live in, such as the rippling of a forest stream, the wind through the high Appalachian mountains or the whisper of a budding flower at dawn in the desert wastelands.

Dragons will also incorporate the world around them. For example, Frost Dragons will play the massive icicles that hang from the great ridges and cave opening like a marimba. Knuckers, who enjoy the rustic sounds of the forest, will create makeshift maracas by breaking branches off of the oak trees that have immature acorns. Gargoyles have mastered the technique of using roof tiles, especially the older ceramics ones, to create a wide range of musical sounds. Even the warblings of the great birds of the Tasmanian forests are really choirs directed by the Tasmanian Dragon.

The voice of a Dragon is a very splendid thing. As with humans, there are divisions among singers. Most female Dragons are altos, whereas male Dragons tend to be tenors or baritones. The rarest of Dragons can also sing beyond these basic ranges. Few, very special Dragons, mostly of the Frost and Wyvern species have been heard singing up into the ranges of soprano and even coloratura. The Amphithere and Lindworm can sing into the bass range-- and if you ever get the chance to listen, be sure to lay prostrate on the ground, for the most complete experience is to feel the song while listening. A word to the wise, if ever in the water, the song of the Amphithere will enrapture an individual enough to drown even the most diligent of divers.

Dragons sing and create music for a variety of reasons. One of the most well-known, and most overused, is the song for mating. Mating songs are extremely emotional pieces of artistic display, expressing devotion, promise, love and desire towards a chosen Dragon of the opposite gender. Despite common misconceptions, both males and females sing mating songs, often resulting in duets once both Dragons have accepted each other as soul mates. Quite often, the two songs are completely independent of each other, yet both parts sound as if they were meant to be sung together. Such is the perfect example of soul mates finding one another.

The war-cry is the second most well-known song, as it is quite often misrepresented by the mere roar of a Dragon. Sadly, our limited hearing excludes us from experiencing the true sound. What we hear is the Dragon's ultimatum and our last chance at survival. Too many dragon hunters, adventurers and so-called crypto-zoologists (had they but heard the rest of the song) would have known to flee, or in most instances, learned the proper way to approach without dishonoring themselves. Layered around the ultimatum is also the chance at redemption, escape and life. Dragons would rather settle disputes civilly, as that is what intelligent creatures are supposed to do.

Despite the popular Hollywood portrayals of Dragons, they do not fight constantly, raid, pillage, or kill at whim. The occasionally-sacrificed virgin does nothing more than make them pity our existence. The Draconic race is highly intelligent, and in most ways, superior to humans. Their music, song and reasons behind such magnificent art only amplifies their brilliance and superiority. If humans could just learn to mimic these wondrous beasts, maybe then would our world be more civilized.

< Message edited by Maegwyn -- 11/19/2008 18:14:48 >
Post #: 1
11/21/2008 13:26:40   
Sentharn

I must say, I really enjoyed this article! You're making me want to go find some grand cave and see if there's any Dragons inside. Maybe if I'm real, real quiet, I'll hear them singing!

I do have a few questions, however, namely:

1. Do most dragons have perfect pitch?
2. What type of intervals do Dragons implement in their songs? Do they have a 12-half-step chromatic system similar to us nasty, brutish Humans? Perhaps a pentatonic scale of some sort? Do they use simple half and whole steps, or is their music more refined? Do they have modal concepts?
3. Why haven't I seen a Dragon yet? The Songs of Dragons constantly pervade my mind at night's rest...

Post #: 2
11/21/2008 15:15:41   
Cow Face
One Heck of a Guy

So... Dragons sing? How intriguing! They probably sing better than I do.

But this makes me wonder: Do they play instruments, as well? I think a piccolo-playing Dragon would be quite entertaining.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 3
11/21/2008 16:27:50   
Master Samak
Productive!
Steward Leprechaun
L&L

This is... very remarkable. It shows so much new perspective on the idea of dragons. Well written, Eukara! :D
AQ DF  Post #: 4
11/22/2008 1:09:17   
Sierra_Nocturne
Constructive!

I loved this article. As a musician, I found your descriptions amazing. Great article, Eukara!
AQ DF  Post #: 5
11/22/2008 8:01:11   
Dragon.
UCaG Contest Winner Feb 09

yay an article about me lol

very thoughtfully written
i enjoyed reading this right
from the first line,
very well done
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 36 - A Chorus of Dragons (Eukara)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition