Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 37 - One New York Trip, Two Animators (Clyde)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 37 - One New York Trip, Two Animators (Clyde)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/21/2008 14:21:53   
Maegwyn

Clyde here and just recently back from a nineteen hour long trip to New York. Why was I there? Some random person might ask. Well the simple reason is that out of my class five of us were chosen to by Teacher to accompany him and meet Bill Plimpton* and Don Hertzfeldt**and to see both of their "not-yet-released films." After hours of walking and getting lost along the amazing bright lights and pretty pictures in New York***, we finally made it to Bill Plimpton's studio.

He greeted each of us with a hand shake and an autographed card for one of his animations. Though not a huge studio like most would expect it was actually pretty awesome and had an amazing view. Bill led to his workstation/desk showing off sketches of his current work in progress. Though I cannot reveal much about it, let's just say the Dog is up to more of his shenanigans. Plimpton also showed us his latest animation that was finished and ready to be produced. This holiday short will make you think twice before letting Ol' Saint Nick into your house during Christmas night. We shook Bill's hand again, wished him good luck, and then as fast as we entered we left.

Afterward we left, we just kind of walked around New York with hours to spare before we went to see the last Don Hertzfeldt show. So we checked out some book stores since everyone else wanted to go Manga and Comic book hunting. I was however laughing at the prices of everything and how much it was out of reach. Three book stores later we all decided on where exactly we were going to eat. Since everyone was so indecisive we had decided on...[drum roll] McDonalds! Yeah, I had some pretty addictive-ly good Chicken selects.

Shortly after some McDonalds and after luncher**** talk we took the transit a little bit more rural New York and headed in the IFC Movie theater. We took the front row seats and watched the sideshow of a few storyboards Hertzfeldt made. Then finally the seats filled and the lights went off as we watched each of Don Hertzfeldt's more popular/lastest short films/animations. From "The Beginning of Life" to his newest creation "I am so Proud of You." Which turned out to be a sequel to "Everything will be Ok" as you follow Bob through another interesting adventure. Soon enough the curtains closed and a spotlight touched the stage. Shortly after Don Hertzfeldt himself entered the stage and took a seat on a stool that was brought to him.

He introduced himself and then said he would be accepting questions one at a time. A few people raised their hands and others did not(including myself). I was simply blown away by the whole thing because of how he mixed old school with a tiny bit on new school style techniques to create something completely original. Despite the fact he was known for his dark-slapstick-humor one could not just deny the fact that he was a genius. Using only 16mm or 35mm film cameras, some paper, pencils, and filters to put over the camera lens. Eventually with these things he created his own stop-motion animations. Someone asked why he chose to do Stick figures and why he didn't use today's programs like Adobe Flash or Photoshop. In which he responded, "I was raised watching movies and animations the other way and I feel that using simpler characters can relate a lot more than anything else could."*****

After the short Q&A, he waited outside the door to sign autographs and to take pictures. While everyone else was waiting in line to get his autograph I waited just outside the line since I did not have any money left. Soon enough you'll never guess who enters the theater? Yes that's right, Bill Plimpton. He takes our group to meet Don Hertzfeldt, we just talk about normal everyday stuff like the weather and which current movie release is the best. Then we noticed we had to catch a train, thanked Don and Bill for an awesome time and left.

I certainly enjoyed the day. Moral of the Story: Follow your dreams and work hard and you'll get something in return.

*For those who need a reminder as to who he is, he created some well known animated features like "Your Face" and "Guard Dog." As well as many other things from Music Videos to Live action films.
**Animator/Independent Film Director. Made "Rejected", "The Meaning of Life", and "Everything Will be Ok."
***I blame the wizards.
****Dinner + Lunch, since we ate pretty early and didn't have anything after.
*****Sure there was alot more to the Q&A, but I could simply not include all in just this article.
Post #: 1
12/22/2008 6:08:57   
mastin2

My dream would probably be to create games myself, so I suppose the equivalent of what you went through would probably be like me touring The Secret Lab of Artix Entertainment. Well, I think it'd be something like that. So, yea, I can only imagine how much you enjoyed that, Clyde. A nice article; keep on writing. ;)
Post #: 2
1/6/2009 15:54:44   
Cow Face
One Heck of a Guy

Wow, that sounds really neat! It's great that you had such an opportunity. How did you get there, that it took 19 hours? By car? Oh, and I'm sure that it was indeed the fault of those pesky wizards. /me shakes his fist at them in anger!

< Message edited by Cow Face -- 1/6/2009 15:55:19 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 37 - One New York Trip, Two Animators (Clyde)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition