Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 37 - A Frostval Carol (Kabroz)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 37 - A Frostval Carol (Kabroz)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/21/2008 14:24:08   
Maegwyn

It was a dark and stormy night...

Well, actually it wasn't all that stormy. Or dark, for that matter. But what kind of ominous story starts out with "It was a bright and sunny day..."

Anyway, I digress...

Kabroz looked out from the windows of his hidden lair and sighed. The nights were getting longer and colder in Lore. As much as Kabroz appreciated the dark, that could mean only one thing: Winter was here. And winter meant Frostval, the most wretched time of year as far as Kabroz was concerned. As he looked out into the dark, Kabroz could almost imagine all the happy little ice moglins in Frostvale, busily creating new enchanted armour and weapons for Artix and his legions of goody-goody numbskull followers. Sure, Frostval also brought the inevitable attempt by some two-bit wanna-be villain to kidnap the Ice Moglins and ruin the Holiday, but so far the forces of good were 5-0... and Kabroz doubted that would change any time soon.

As he turned away from the window, Kabroz sighed again. Perhaps he should consider hibernation this year. One of his Tomes of Ebil had suggested the incantations for an extended meditative trance which would supposedly multiply his already formidable necromantic power. Kabroz was dubious; many of these spells were actually attempts to trick lesser mages into feeding their souls to otherworldly demons. Still, this one appeared authentic, and Kabroz was confident that...

His musings were suddenly interrupted by a loud knock on the door. "Odd," thought Kabroz. "Most people know better then to disturb me in my home. But perhaps this unexpected visit will serve to provide me with some much needed distraction." With that thought in mind, Kabroz flung open the door to the Hideout to reveal: no one. Puzzled, Kabroz looked around. It was too late in the year for Mogloween pranksters; and besides, the severed heads of the last ill-advised trick-or-treaters hadn't completely rotted off of their pikes in the yard yet. "Must have been the wind..." he thought to himself, as he closed the door and turned towards his study...

Tripping over Twig in the process.

"Ouchies, Mr. Kabwoz!" bubbled Twig. "That reawwy huwt!"

"TWIG!" yelled Kabroz. "What in the Nine Vermillion Hells are you doing here?"

"Don't be mad, Mr. Kabwoz! I'm here to ed-u-ma-cate you about the Twue Meaning of Fwostval!" Twig replied.

Kabroz quirked an eye.

"Tonight you will be visited by twee spooky ghosts! Dey are gunna tell you all about Fwostval, and all the fun and fish and ice cweam! Then we can all be Fwiends and sing and play and eat ice cweam together!"

Kabroz rolled his eyes. Twig was babbling more then usual...

"Byes Mr. Kabwoz! Spooky Ghosts will be here soon!" With that, Twig teleported away, just as Kabroz swung his staff at the spot where the little Moglin has recently stood. "Drat!" muttered Kabroz. "Missed him again..."

----

Later that night, Kabroz was awoken by a loud crash from his Throne Room. Grabbing his cloak and Ebil Staff, he headed down the hall muttering to himself... "If it's that idiot Twig again, I swear I will banish him to the foulest plane I can imagine. Perhaps the one where all those snakes live..." However, as he entered the room, Kabroz noticed that there was no Twig present. Instead, there were three ghosts hovering above his throne.

"Who are you, and why are you invading my Hideout and disturbing my sleep?" Kabroz asked.

"We are the three Ghosts of Frostval Past, Present, and Future" said one of the ghosts. "We are here to teach you the true meaning of Frostval!"

"I see," said Kabroz. "So I suppose you will show me visions of my happy childhood, my friends in the present having fun without me, and my depressing future where I die old and alone?"

"Well... yeah" replied the Spirit. "That was sort of the idea."

"Let me save you some time then. My childhood was miserable. My only moment of Happiness came from zombifying my home town in revenge for the wrongs they did to me while I grew up. I have no friends in the present; only Minions and Undead followers. And they certainly AREN'T celebrating right now. And as for my future... I don't fear Death. In fact, I won't be dying... I'll be ascending to Godhood. Did I miss anything?" Kabroz looked at the Spirits expectantly.

"Still, we need to teach you a lesson.” replied the Spirits. "Are you ready to learn?"

"I don't need to learn" Kabroz said, "I already know the most important lesson of all!"

"And what would that be" asked the Spirits?

At this, Kabroz raised his Ebil Staff of Necromantic Power and began chanting. An eerie light filled the room, as the jeweled eyes of the Demon skull atop his staff began to glow with a sinister red light. As Kabroz began to chant in an ancient and mysterious language, the Three Spirits of Frostval tried to flee... but they were rooted in place by forces beyond their control. Suddenly, a swirling vortex appeared beneath them, and the three Spirits were pulled into the Void. As they were slowly dragged into Limbo, Kabroz yelled after them "The Lesson, my friends, is that you should NEVER send a trio of incompetent ghosts to threaten a Master of Necromancy." As the Swirling Void began to close around the wailing spirits, Kabroz yelled "Merry Frostval, fools! When you get to Limbo, tell them Kabroz sent you!" With that, the portal snapped shut and the room returned to normal.

As he headed back up to bed, already plotting his revenge, Kabroz sighed again... "I hate this time of year."
Post #: 1
12/21/2008 17:46:22   
15cman

That...was...SO...FUNNY!This was probably my favorite part of the Ezine.Great work guys
DF MQ  Post #: 2
1/7/2009 15:34:32   
Cow Face
One Heck of a Guy

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when I read this! To me, at least, it's on a level with A Blackadder Christmas Carol; Kabroz is a brilliant fellow, far more than that Scrooge chap. Perfect ending, too. Those spirits really deserve that, messing with everyone's sleep.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 37 - A Frostval Carol (Kabroz)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition