Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

The Cold

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> The Cold
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
12/27/2008 12:07:32   
Alixander Fey

One of my friends complained to me about being cold. I told her, "Hide from the cold. Maybe it won't find you." She pulled her jacket up and looked at me. "Sssh," she said. "Don't make any noise. I'm hiding from the cold." For some reason, her joke stuck with me. The line, "Hiding from the cold" bounced around in my head for a while, until I envisioned a scene with a little boy huddled in the darkness and clutching a bloody knife. "He's hiding from the cold," I decided. This entire story grew from that scene.

Without (further) unnecessary rambling, I bring you The Cold.

< Message edited by Alixander Fey -- 12/28/2008 22:33:20 >

DF  Post #: 1
12/27/2008 12:14:44   
Alixander Fey

The Cold

“I haven’t been this far south in a long time,” Agrathan whispered. “But I don’t think that’s natural.”

Tara MageBorn frowned beneath his darkened cowl, surveying the haunted visage of the town. The wizard tapped his staff against the ground and chanted a string of awkward syllables. “No, it’s not. I’m not sure what’s wrong.”

The town of Rold huddled in a little valley between two mountains, wooden gates and makeshift palisades masked by a thick blue mist. Only one gate touched the main road, but the hinges swung limp and shattered. An empty guardhouse connected to a pair of abandoned towers that flanked the deserted gate.

Agrathan fingered his sword. “Is it magic?”

Tara closed his eyes, searching, sensing. He felt the echo of power. “The fog? Yes, it’s magic. But that doesn’t explain the lack of people.”

“Perhaps they’re hiding,” the ranger said. “I would hide from that.”

“Would the soldiers guarding the gate run from a fog?”

Wisps of smoke curled around buildings, strangling, sucking life. A door slammed, somewhere in the back of the town.

“Sounds like someone’s home.” Agrathan stepped forward, drawing his sword.

Tara didn’t move. He clutched the hems of his cloaks, wrapping them around his frail body. “Where are you going?”

The ranger turned, waving his sword at the gate. “Let’s see what’s going on. Maybe they need our help.”

The wizard grunted. “We have enough provisions to make it to the next town. I say we leave them to their fate and move on.”

“Are you that cold, Tara? You’d let these people die?”

“We don’t know if they’re in danger. They could all be dead. Or, they could be hiding from this fog, a natural phenomenon that will pass at any moment. It’s none of our business either way. We should leave.” Turning away, the wizard staggered down the road, grasping his staff in both hands.

“I thought you said the fog was magic,” Agrathan called after him.

Tara stopped, hesitated, and then kept walking.

Shaking his head, Agrathan cursed. “I’ll see you at DaySpring, then. Wait for me.” The ranger ambled down the gentle slope to the town’s gate. When he reached the broken portal, he glanced over his shoulder. Tara was gone, an ebony specter receding from view. He was alone in the blue mist.

Agrathan kicked the gate. The hinges creaked, opening the way for the ranger. Still, he saw no sign of life. Gravel crunched beneath his feet as he entered the town. Within the town’s walls, Agrathan could see that the fog was thickest in the town square. Here, he could barely see a few wisps of white smoke—nothing like the blue mist from before.

He reached the first building without incident. Circling the wooden structure, Agrathan came to the front door, framed by a wide porch and a pair of windows. The darkness radiated from behind the glass planes, reminding him of the black lights he had seen in Tara’s tower.

His fist rapped against the door; once, twice, then a third time. No one answered. And still he had seen no evidence of inhabiting life. Turning away from the door, he stepped to the edge of the porch.

“Hello?” the ranger called. “Is anyone here? Is there danger?”

No one answered. He didn’t call again.

Sheathing his sword, the ranger pulled his cape around him and walked deeper into the town’s heart. A bitter, cold wind fought him, whipping his hair and his cape backwards. Agrathan shivered but kept walking, closing his eyes to shield them from the biting cold.

“You missed something,” a gravelly voice rasped.

The ranger turned to see the black-cloaked figure standing by the side of the house. Green eyes stared back at him, heartless and mocking.

“I didn’t think this was any of your business,” he spat.

Tara sighed, leaned against his staff, and shrugged. “You are my friend. When you threw yourself into the unknown, the unknown became my business.”

Agrathan stared for a moment, narrowing his eyes. Still angry at the sorcerer, he refused to accept the man’s words—as close to an apology as Tara ever came.

The mage recognized Agrathan’s stubbornness and spun on his heels. He marched to the other side of the street, approaching a building identical to the one Agrathan had seen. Mounting the porch steps, he waited. Agrathan followed with a sigh.

When the ranger joined him, Tara slipped around the building, holding up a hand when they reached the corner. “Here,” he said softly.

Just around the corner of the building, they found a boy huddled in the shadows. No older than eight, his body covered in ragged cloths, the child shivered and clutched something in both hands. When he saw Tara, he whimpered and shrank farther into the dark corner.

To Agrathan’s surprise, Tara stepped forward and offered a compassionate hand. “Are you all right?”

The boy’s head rose to meet the wizard’s gaze. He shied away, folding whatever he held closer to his chest. “The cold…” he whispered. “It’s so cold.”

Tara glanced back to Agrathan. Neither of them felt chilled now that the wind had abated. Agrathan dropped his pack and shrugged.

Tara knelt down, gathering his robes around him. “What are you doing?”

The boy shivered. “I’m hiding… I’m hiding from the cold.”

He sifted away from Tara again, this time revealing the object in his hand. It was a knife, blade caked in blood.

The wizard snaked his hand forward slowly, grasping the handle of the knife. The boy didn’t react. Tara snatched the dagger away and tucked it under his robes. “Where are your parents?”

“It’s so cold.” He looked up, gazing beyond Tara and the ranger. “So cold.”

Agrathan placed a hand on his friend’s shoulder. “I don’t think he’s truly with us, Tara.”

The wizard nodded and backed away, withdrawing the dagger. “You’re right, of course. We need to find… whoever this belongs to.”

Retreating back around the building, they mounted the porch again and knocked on the front door. No one answered. Agrathan moved to kick the door down, but Tara stopped him. The wizard tapped his staff against the wood.

“Yyr.”

Hinges snapped as the door flew forward. Agrathan sighed and shook his head.

“Always talking to doors,” he mumbled. “You need to learn to talk to trees, make them bear fruit in the winter. You could make enough money to buy a city.”

Hearing the ranger’s complaints with his magically enhanced ears, Tara laughed. “I have, Agrathan. I have.”

The ranger’s eyes widened; he stood in the doorway and gawked at the wizard. Tara stepped into the main room, leading with his gleaming staff. Save for three chairs, a couch, and a table, the camber was empty. The wizard and the ranger moved to the next room.

At first, Tara thought the kitchen was abandoned as well. When they stepped past the tall counter, Agrathan gasped and pointed to the floor. Tara followed his gaze, eyes widening when he saw two dead bodies piled by the kitchen table. With a grim nod, the mage withdrew the boy’s bloody dirk. Kneeling over the bodies, he whispered a spell.

“Vas ker’um ve vas gal’ad kam vir’en!”

The blood on the bodies sparked, glowing with an inner crimson light. The sparkle traveled across the blood until every drop scintillated—then it spread to the knife. The dagger glittered in the darkness.

Agrathan knelt beside his friend. “What did you do?”

“It’s a magical test,” the sorcerer explained. “The blood on this knife belongs to these bodies.”

“You don’t think the boy did this, do you?”

Glancing up, he caught the ranger’s gaze and held it. His glowing eyes did not blink. Agrathan shivered and stepped away. Tara followed him back into the first room.

Whispering the spell for spiritsight, the wizard searched the building for other souls. When his eyes opened to the spirit world, he jerked back. The world was bright, too bright. Chairs, walls, and floors all took on faded grey hues in the spirit world—only souls exuded light. But the entire town seemed to glow with one continuous luminescence, as if one single soul enveloped the city. Tara shook his head. He had seem more anomalies in magic than anyone else he knew—it had become commonplace to see things he could not understand. The glowing, single presence stretched its tendrils into this building, wrapping around a few souls he could sense in next room.

“Is anyone here? Are we alone?”

Agrathan glowed too; his own spirit shone with the dull light of someone with no magical strength. The elfstone blade that Tara had enchanted scintillated at his side. Tara shook his head, trying to focus on the grey ghost of the ranger’s face.

“There are three adults in the other room. More upstairs. Something is… wrong.”

“Wrong? Oh, Tara, I couldn’t figure that out on my own. Thank you for telling me. Really, I was lost without your wise—”
Tara shut the man out and released the spiritsight spell. His eyes once again saw flesh and blood. “They are coming,” he whispered.

Three adults stepped into the room, each wearing a grim expression. They were well-clothed, obviously middle-class, and they were unarmed. The first one, the tallest, looked to Tara. His eyes flashed with surprise, then fear, then anger. He did not speak.

Agrathan drew his sword discretely, hiding the motion behind Tara’s cloak. The wizard stepped forward, dousing the glaring light in his staff. “Greetings,” he said. “I am Tara MageBorn, and this is my companion, Agrathan Thoulurd. We come from ArborVale, and we intend to reach DaySpring to meet a patrol of elves from across the river. How fares the town of Rold?” The wizard’s voice trailed off half-way through as he realized the man didn’t even register his words.

The three adults gazed at him, listless. They exchanged glances, then looked back to the door from which they had come. Agrathan stepped forward, still holding his sword away from their line of sight. “What ails you, brothers? We have a wizard. Can we help you? What is this arcane fog that clouds your city?”

Again, they did not hear him. Their faces changed, morphing into masks of determination. As one, they pulsed forward, grasping for the ranger and the mage. Agrathan raised his sword to defend himself, but Tara held him back.

“They are not their own,” he hissed. Tara thrust his staff forward like a spear.

“Dek’ra!”

Invisible bands of magic chained the attackers in their place. Gasping Agrathan’s hand, Tara dragged him towards the door—when two blank-faced women appeared. Acting on instinct, the mage changed directions and bounded up the stairs, carrying his staff and the ranger behind him. They reached the second level without stopping, and then climbed the stairs to the third and final floor. Tara guided them to a room on the edge of the building. Entering, he closed the door behind them and locked it with a word.

Collapsing on the floor, Agrathan dropped his sword and huffed. “Why did you pull us up here?”

Tara chanted a spell on the door and turned to the ranger. “You’ll understand. More are coming.”

Agrathan nodded. “What was wrong with those people?”

“They are not their own,” the wizard repeated. He gathered his robes and shuffled to the window. “Do you know what they remind me of?”

Agrathan sheathed his sword and joined the wizard by the window. “The LoreMaster’s zombies, when he raised those people from the dead. They were empty shells, just bodies without a true soul.”

Tara nodded. “I agree. I’m nearly certain that—”

A crack sounded on the door. It buckled, but the lock held. Tara spun and raised his staff. “It looks like our friends are here.”

“How many?” Agrathan drew his sword again.

“There were twelve in the building. I don’t know if they’re all after us.” Closing his eyes, he chanted a string of spells. “Don’t attack them. Trust me.”

Another crack against the door. Tara struck the wood with his staff and released the locking spells. The door crumpled, and armed men poured into the room. Tara recognized the tall man from the lower room.

Agrathan spoke the only word of magic he knew, setting his sword aflame. The zombies hesitated, casting glances back and forth as calculated how to defeat the ranger with the burning brand. Tara waited until he counted all twelve adults. Pulling his hand back, he jabbed his staff in the air like a spear, sending a bolt of lightning that struck the door. Green light hazed around the portal, creating a strong wizard lock. Tara whirled, raising a hand and shattering the window behind him with a grunted syllable.

While the wizard worked, Agrathan deflected the weak sword-strikes of the zombie attackers. He stepped back when the mage broke the window, ceding ground to reach Tara. Black robes swirling, the sorcerer pushed all twelve adults back against the wall. Then, grasping the ranger’s collar, he leapt out the broken window.

A quick magic word halted their fall, and the pair dropped to the ground with ease. Tara struck the wall of the building with his staff.

“Venat!”

A translucent emerald barrier materialized over the broken window, completing the magic prison. The black-robed sorcerer turned to his friend. “Let’s go,” he whispered. “We need to ask the boy some questions.”

They rounded the building again until they found the whimpering boy. He still hid in the darkness, clutching the dagger he no longer held. As soon as they came within earshot, Tara and Agrathan heard his soft whispers: “Cold. It’s so… cold.”

The mage knelt beside the boy, placing a gloved hand on his knee. “Can you hear me?”

The boy looked up and met the wizard’s eyes. “You’re not cold.”

Tara scooted closer. “Do you know what is happening here?”

“Cold,” he said. “I’m hiding from the cold.”

The wizard raised the bloodied knife. “Do you remember this knife?”

Reaching out to touch the hilt, the boy shivered. “It’s cold.”

Tara stood and stepped away from the boy. “He’ll be no help to us,” the mage murmured to his friend. Casting the spell of spiritsight, he was again surprised to see the glow that filled the entire town. Wisps of smoky light trailed upwards, twisting around his magic prison. Tendrils of light beat at his spells, trying to worm a way around his enchanted trap. Failing, they turned aside and gathered into a concentrated mass. Tara felt Agrathan’s hand on his shoulder—the ranger must have seen something in the world of flesh. Perhaps the milky mist outside had convalesced in the same way these tendrils of light had.

Looking down at the boy, he saw the same light. The tendrils of glowing smoke were faint, fading. The mist tormented this boy, but it did not control him. Not like it had controlled the others. Reaching out with his mental presence, Tara scooped the mist away. The child perked up instantly, gazing at the wizard with wide-eyed curiosity. He flexed his fingers, then stood, still leaning against the wall.

Agrathan grasped Tara’s arm more tightly. The wizard closed his eyes and breathed a spell, eyes returning to the flesh world. He looked to the ranger, who pointed towards the center of town—no, who pointed towards the thick, blue fog that rolled towards them. Like a miniature storm-cloud, the mist surged across the ground, bringing a foul smell and a gentle hissing noise.

“What is that?” Agrathan asked.

The boy tugged on Tara’s coattails, interrupting the wizard before he could answer. He turned and glanced at the child.

“Mister? That’s the cold. Don’t let it touch you.”

Tara shot a glance back to the approaching fog. “The cold?”

The boy dropped his hand. “We should hide from the cold.”

Before the ranger or the mage could react, two tendrils of smoke shot from the cloud, angling for their hearts. Tara swung his staff in front of the ranger.

“Venat ve fete!”

A shield of fire burst to life, wrapping Tara and his companion in a wreath of flame. The milky fingers burned when they touched the flame. Two more snaked from the mist, exploding in a puff of mist as the fire turned them aside as well. Tara cupped his hand and formed a fireball, launching it towards the smoke. The blazing orb seared a hole through the fog, but did nothing to deter it from advancing.

“The cold,” the boy whimpered. “We should hide from the cold.” He turned to run. Tara reached to stop him, but the same shield that protected him from the mist prevented him from touching the boy. He prepared a spell to catch the child, but then another tendril slithered out from the mist, striking the boy in the chest and knocking him against the wall.

“The cold!” he screamed. Tara opened his mind, ready to sweep the arcane wisps away from the child’s soul—but before he could act, the boy’s face twisted in a mask of cold hatred. Drawing another dagger from his sleeve, he growled, crouched, and leapt forward.

Tara shouted a warning, raising his staff to knock the boy aside with magic, but he was too late. The child charged headlong into the fiery shield, exploding with wave of heat.

Tara cursed, catching the child’s soul before it passed beyond and converting it into a wall of fire. He sent the infernal hedge sailing towards the smoke. When the fire sputtered out, the cold had disappeared.

< Message edited by Alixander Fey -- 12/28/2008 22:40:09 >
DF  Post #: 2
12/30/2008 12:00:40   
Alixander Fey

Tara MageBorn and Agrathan Thoulurd stood alone in the desolate town of Rold. Before them, milky blue mist drifted through the city, creating specters from every shadow. Miles to the south, an army of elves marched northward, wondering why their sorcerer guide had yet to appeared.

“They are not their own,” the wizard repeated.

Agrathan sheathed his sword. “These people… they’re not acting of their own will.”

“No,” Tara said as he pulled his cloak tight around his shoulders. “Something is controlling them. Something cold.”

“The cold,” Agrathan said as he watched the smoke waft through the town. “Is that what the boy is talking about?”

“This mist is alive,” he said. “It has a magical presence, a soul. I’m not sure if it’s a spell, or an entity in itself. But it’s controlling them.”

The ranger’s eyes widened. “Controlling them?”

Tara gazed into the green glow of the orb topping his staff. “The mist, the cold, is controlling them. It wraps around a soul, constricting it, strangling it, draining the soul and the person of free will. Then it controls them. The people we faced inside the building were controlled by the cold. They boy was controlled by the cold when he murdered his parents, and when he kill himself on our shield.”

Agrathan shook his head. “So these are like the LoreMaster’s zombies. They’re just vessels, slaves to this… this cold.”

Tara nodded. “Yes, and we need to find the source of this cold. How did it come here? And who brought it?”

“Could it have moved on its own?”

The sorcerer shrugged. “It’s possible, but I fear this is an act of magic. I doubt it’s self-aware. Someone… someone is responsible. This feels like a working of high sorcery.”

Agrathan drew his sword, igniting the fire in the blade. “And how are we going to catch him?”

“We find the heart of the cold. We go to the center of the town.”

“Through the mist?”

Tara whispered a few words, summoning a fiery shield similar to the one that had killed the boy. “My fire will protect us,” he promised. Then, silently, he added “I hope.”

Agrathan slid closer to his friend, keeping well within the infernal shield. They marched forward in silence, neither speaking as they stepped into the milky fog. The shield protected them from the cold by burning it to produce a hot steam. They drove farther into the heart of the town, searching for anything that would portend the source of the cold. The farther they went, the more the mist seemed to envelop them. To Tara, this proved his theory that someone sentient was controlling the mist. The cold hounded them, encircling them, waiting to strike. Like a pack of ravenous wolves, the wizard thought.

They entered the town square after an hour of exploring. Tara kept his staff loose by his side, ready to send a jet of flame at anything sinister that appeared. Agrathan grasped his arm, pointing to their left.

“Look,” he whispered. “More zombies.”

Tara aimed his spear in the direction the ranger indicated. Four of the cold-slaves staggered forward, barely in control of their bodies. When they saw the wizard and his companion, the leader raised his weapon. Following an unspoken command, they charged.

Unwilling to kill the hapless slaves, Tara cast a non-lethal spell. Bands of pure magical energy wrapped around the zombie’s writs and ankles, rendering them immobile. Then, while Agrathan kept watch, Tara forced his mind into the zombie’s souls and cleared the cold away. They awoke groggily, wondering at their arcane chains.

One of them looked to Tara. “What have you done?” he asked.

The sorcerer ignored the man, tapping his staff against the ground.

“Venat ve fete!”

A shield of fire identical to his convalesced around the freed slaves, burning the mists away. “That will keep you safe from the cold,” he promised. They gazed at him in wide-eyed wonder. He ignored them and moved on.

Tara repeated the process four times before they reached the center of the town. Together, they searched the surrounding buildings. “From the hill, it seemed as if the mist came from the town’s center,” Tara said. “We need to find its source.”

“What are we looking for?” Agrathan asked.

The wizard shrugged and used his spiritsight to scan the mist. “It could be anything. A wizard, a stone, a portal, a vortex of energy…”

Agrathan dropped to his knees—careful to avoid the fire shield—and searched under a porch. “It would be hidden?” Tara ignored him. “Who’s to say there actually has to be something? Couldn’t the wizard have summoned the cold and then left?”

His eyes burning with the intensity of the swirling cold, Tara staggered backwards, answering the ranger’s question without facing him. “That could be. If that’s the case, he must be hiding on a nearby hill. Or using a spell of seeing from his tower. Someone is controlling this fog, I’m sure of it.”

The ranger shook soot from his cloak and stood. “Could you sense the source?”

Tara froze. “I think I do.”

Agrathan raised his sword on instinct, standing behind his friend. “Where? What is it?”

The blue mist swirled, forming a whirlwind of smoke that sent chill wind biting at the wizard’s exposed face. In the center of the miniature hurricane, a blue light shone. Nearly blinded by his spiritsight, Tara released the spell and watched through fleshly eyes. The glare was less intense, a sapphire blue that glittered and sparkled.

“What is that?” the ranger whispered.

The cold curled around the silhouette of a man. The figure stepped forward, smoke sliding off his over-sized body. Spikes and horns signaled heavy armor. A shadow protruding from his hand indicated a thick broadsword.

Tara raised his staff and hurled a flaming dart at the approaching figure. The blaze struck his armor and flickered out.

The cold rolled aside, flanking the armored man and billowing behind him. Silver armor glinted in the harsh light, armor that framed a massive man—or not. Through cracks in his armor, Tara could see wisps of blue smoke to match the cold. An iron broadsword swung loosely in his hand. His helmet resembled a crown more than a battle helm, with a facemask pierced by two smoke-filled eye slots. Something sparkled on his chest, a deep sapphire that shined brighter than the cold.

The cold-golem stepped forward, raising his sword. “I know thee of old, MageBorn. And I know your kind. Stand aside and let my magic work. You need not concern yourself with my affairs.”

The creature’s voice froze Agrathan. The ranger’s face drained of blood, and his sword-arm tightened beyond use. Tara stood straighter, keeping his staff high and chanting a spell to defend himself. When fire materialized in his hands, he spoke in a low voice. “Then you have a privilege I do not, cold one. I do not know you, or your kind.”

“Ha!” The armored figured laughed, shaking his entire body with his chortle. “I am the WitchKing. As for my kind, I will tell you nothing. You will not stop me.”

Tara laughed, drawing another spell to his aide. “What if I don’t want to stop you? Perhaps I would rather subjugate you and turn your power to my own ends.”

The WitchKing drew his blade back. “You spend your days locked inside your dark tower, studying tomes you should burn and casting spells you should shun. But I wield higher sorcery than you can comprehend, MageBorn. Now, turn aside, or face the wrath of the WitchKing.”

Before Tara could respond, Agrathan—who had overcome his magically-induced fear—laughed and ignited his sword. “WitchKing?” he called. “Why must all the slaves of evil return to the same old names? You should pick a more unique title, golem of mist. You will fall like all the WitchKings before you.”

Tara stepped behind his friend and forced his staff into the ground, expanding the shell of fire to include the WitchKing. Having given Agrathan enough room to fight, the wizard fired his own spells. Darts of ice energy shot forward, quickly followed by blasts of lightning and streams of fire. All but the fire bounced from the golem’s armor. The fire spell barely blackened the silver plate.

The WitchKing shot forward, leading with his weapon. Agrathan met the sword and turned it aside, using the fire magic in his blade for added strength. While the ranger fought the golem, Tara shrank back, employing his spiritsight again. Casting a few spells of knowledge and divining, he examined the golem with a critical eye. In reality, he should have been able to guess. The sapphire that hung from his chest was the key.

It’s not that the sapphire is the key to his armor, Tara thought. He is the sapphire. The sapphire is the source of the cold.

Now hat he knew what he was looking for, Tara realized that the entire suit of armor had been formed around the blue gem. His circular breastplate framed the sparkling crystal perfectly.

Agrathan groaned as the WitchKing’s blade bit into his thigh. With a curse, he jabbed his blade through the golem’s forearm. A quick backhand swipe sent the ranger flying. As the sorcerer expected, the pierced gauntlet had no effect on the creature’s ability to fight.

Tara raised an arcane shield around the fallen ranger and dashed forward, conjuring a wall of flame around him. When the WitchKing advanced, the fire lashed out with forked tongues to burn him back. The golem lunged—fell back when the inferno burned him—then sliced—retreated when the blaze seared him. Tara made no advance against the WitchKing, but he did keep the fiend back.

Agrathan groaned from behind him, rolling in the dirt beneath the curtain of flame that Tara had raised. “Lower the shield, Tara.”

Calling a column of flame that barely deterred the WitchKing, Tara cursed and conjured a blazing spear. “That shield is the only thing keeping you alive, idiot.”

“If you don’t lower the shield, by the power of the Gods I swear I’ll gut you in your—” The ranger stopped when Tara borrowed the strength of the shield for his own conjugation. Freed, Agrathan rolled onto his stomach and pulled himself forward.

“Go back to the darkness, sorcerer!” The WitchKing growled as he lunged forward, trying to cleave Tara’s spells with his enchanted sword. “Go back and hide in your tower and learn your black spells.”

The wizard grunted, billowing a stream of flame that sent the golem retreating. Tara raised the spear he had forged from arcane fire and lava, hurling the projectile through their air. The javelin punched a hole through the breastplate of the WitchKing. The sapphire survived the strike, but the golem still shrieked in something like pain. Falling backwards, he clutched his wounded chest. Blue mist seeped through the gaping hole in his armor. Tara’s spear melted into nothingness.

The WitchKing raised his hand, and a stream of cold twisted towards Tara. He evoked a magical shield—his original shield now kept rest of the cold out of the field of battle—that burned the mist, but more kept coming. The golem poured cold on him, unrelenting, hoping to break down his defenses. Tara stumbled beneath the weight of his magic, staggering backwards. A chill seeped into the tips of his fingers. Then the sorcerer saw Agrathan, crawling forward at the edge of his vision. Summoning more flame, he fought to distract the golem.

The WitchKing fell for his ruse, fighting against Tara’s flame with short chops from his sword. He drove forward, shooting more jets of cold to batter the sorcerer’s defenses.

The wizard bluffed, stumbling beneath the cold to draw the golem’s attention away from the creeping ranger. The golem shot three more rivulets of cold, and this time Tara did not have to bluff when he wavered under the fiend’s power.

Changing his strategy to throw the WitchKing off, he launched a bolt of lighting that struck the creature’s facemask. The golem reeled back, then shot more tongues of cold—before a burning brand plunged into his breastplate just above the sapphire. Agrathan cursed himself for missing, but the WitchKing screamed and beat his chest.

“Curse you, MageBorn, for striking my heart. You should have stayed in your tower.” The WitchKing raised his hand, this time shooting a ball of ice magic that threw Tara backwards.

The sorcerer fell next to Agrathan, clutching the ice burns on his chest. His concentration faded, and he dropped the shields that protected him and Agrathan from the cold. Without the sorcerer’s defenses to hamper him, the WitchKing simply pushed a wave of cold towards them, hoping to capture both of their minds and win the battle.

Without any better choice, Tara rolled over, grabbed Agrathan by the collar and cast a spell.

“Griz’lem!”

A green flash of light—and both he and the ranger disappeared. They tumbled through the pathways of magic, only to appear outside the town in what seemed like an instant. They were safe; from the mist, and from the WitchKing.

“Three Gods, you fool,” the ranger cursed. “You left my sword.”

The sorcerer joined Agrathan’s curse, chanted the spell again, and disappeared. In a heartbeat, he reappeared by the ranger’s side, bearing his elf-stone blade. “Your sword,” he said, before dropping the weapon and collapsing to the ground.

< Message edited by Alixander Fey -- 12/30/2008 14:54:51 >
DF  Post #: 3
12/30/2008 12:02:44   
Alixander Fey

His composure and his health regained, Tara MageBorn crouched beside a magical fire. The crackling flame burned without wood, hovering just a few inches above the ground. He whispered quiet words in the dark, soft murmurs filled with ancient power and indomitable will.

Heavy breathing drew his attention away from his spell scroll. Agrathan Thoulurd dropped to the ground, letting his sword clatter against the stone. “What are you saying?”

Tara looked up from below his hood. “Talking, ranger. I’m always talking.”

The warrior grunted and adjusted the bandage on his wounded leg. “Opening any doors?”

“Proverbial doors,” the sorcerer replied. “Doors of knowledge.”

“Well, we’re going to die long before we can get to those doors if we don’t find food quickly.” Sheathing his sword, the ranger lay back against the stone and watched the arcane fire.

Tara lifted his cowl. “You went looking for food? I told you, we have provisions for more than a week—”

“—Which you left when you decided to teleport out of the town. We dropped the packs when we saw the boy.”

I left? You dropped the pack—”

“Tara, I’m not getting into this with you. Can’t you talk to a tree and make it give you fruit?”

With a sigh, the wizard stood and summoned his staff to his hands. “I’m a sorcerer, Agrathan, of the thirty-sixth tier. I can do anything I’d like.” Raising his staff, he searched his memory for a suitable spell.

“Mitros brett’a ve edur kam kandla mi nom’r!”

Three spikes of solid stone formed above the palms of his hands. He flexed his fingers, and the darts shot forward, disappearing down the path.

“What did you do?” Agrathan stood and stared after the receding darts.

“I hunted.” Tara dropped his staff and returned to his place by the fire. He retrieved a spell book from his pouch that he had not read in years, perusing through its pages in search of something beyond the ranger’s comprehension.

“You didn’t do a very good job,” Agrathan noted after a silent minute. “Can you talk and convince my stomach it’s not hungry?”

Tara looked up from his sketchbook again.

“Mi nom’r kam wardo ja mi mat’kas!”

From the same direction in which the darts disappeared, a stag hovered through the air, wounded by three spikes of stone. “You can roast that on our fire, Agrathan. I can conjure a spit if you need.”

The ranger gazed wide-eyed at the stag. The wizard’s spell ended, dropping the animal at the ranger’s feet. Trembling, he drew his dagger and began to skin the deer. He did not speak for more than an hour. Once Tara found what he sought within his tome, he closed the book and sat in silence, with nothing but his own mind to guide him.

“So… the sapphire is the source of the WitchKing’s power?” The ranger’s voice shook, showing his uncertainty.

Tara shook his head. “No. The sapphire is the source of the cold.” He fingered through the book he had searched earlier, searching for a specific page.

“And what of the WitchKing?” The ranger leaned forward to see the page Tara indicated with a pointing finger.

“It’s called channeling,” the sorcerer explained. “It’s a rare form of magic. Someone is projecting his spirit here, forming the mist into a suit of armor, and using magic to guide the armor.”

Agrathan narrowed his eyes. “So the WitchKing isn’t in control of the cold?”

Tara shrugged. “That’s a question of semantics. The voice you heard belonged to the channeler, to the one casting the spell. He controls the WitchKing’s body, just like he controls the cold. They are both spells he cast.”

The ranger nodded, absorbing the wizard’s explanation. “So, this channeler is powerful.”

Closing the book and shoving it into his pouch, Tara nodded. “Yes. Very powerful. Actually, channeling magic is elvish. I doubt anyone but an elf could learn it, unless he had access to something like the LoreMaster’s abbey.”

“We’re facing an elvish wizard?”

Tara’s emerald eyes blinked. “It could be. I wouldn’t be surprised. The elves call this elder magic. It’s ancient, and there are few left who can wield it.” Dispelling the magical flame, the sorcerer gathered his things and summoned his staff. “I have a question for you. If you had a gem with the power to control the minds of hundreds of people at one time, why would you send it to a backwater town like Rold?”

Joining the sorcerer, Agrathan placed one hand on his sword and mused over the question. “A test,” he said at last. “If I had created the gem, I would want to test its power. And so I would send it to a town like Rold.”

Following the road away from Rold, Tara shrugged and leaned against his staff. “That’s one possible reason. Any others?”

The ranger thought again. “My company of rangers often makes bases in towns like Rold. They are obscure, small, and yet they touch the main trade roads. Anyone going to DaySpring from ArborVale would have to pass through Rold.”

“And anyone traveling north from DaySpring would have to pass through Rold as well,” the sorcerer said. “And since this is elvish magic, I can’t help but wonder if this has anything to do with the small army of elvish warriors we were supposed to meet in DaySpring. The army would have to pass through Rold. So… after testing his creation, this elvish wizard would use his gem to capture the army and control them.”

“For what purpose?”

Rounding a bend in the road Tara waved a hand. “It’s an army, Agrathan. He could do a thousand things with an army. He could sell them like mercenaries, sack a town, defend his tower. Without knowing the limit of the sapphire’s power, I can’t begin to guess.”

Agrathan pulled a cowl over his face to shield from the bitter evening wind that began to blow. “So where are we going?”

“To warn the elves.”

The ranger glared at his companion. “Can’t you teleport us there?”

Tara stopped, tapping his staff against the ground. “I could. It would take a bit of work.”

Agrathan clenched his fist and fought the temptation to strike the wizard. “Then do it! We can’t afford to waste precious time! Talk! Talk to the air and have it bring us to the elves!”

Closing his eyes, Tara pushed his mind forward, searching for the cluster of bright lights that represented the elvish army. Without spiritsight, he could not see them, but he could feel the bubbling life of their souls. Fixing a location in his mind, he grabbed hold of Agrathan’s sleeve and raised his staff.

“Griz’lem!”

In a flash of green light, Tara and Agrathan disappeared.

< Message edited by Alixander Fey -- 12/30/2008 12:06:22 >
DF  Post #: 4
12/30/2008 12:06:04   
Alixander Fey

The elf stood, rubbed his chin, and paced a small circle around his chair. His golden plate-mail flickered in the dim torch-light, offering twisted reflections of Tara and his ranger friend. A golden gryphon soared at the crest of his helm, wings wide and beak outstretched. The sword that clanked against his thigh hummed with elvish magics.

“Let me make sure we understand each other,” Samiel said as he sank back into his chair. “I’ve been sitting here all day waiting for the guides I was assured would be waiting for me, and now these guides arrive, only to tell me that I cannot continue? That, if I travel any farther up this road, I will be attacked by a fog?”

Tara sighed and shook his head, praying that Agrathan had the good sense to keep his mouth shut. Leaning against his staff, he slid forward. “I’m telling you that the town of Rold has been completely decimated by this magic mist. The cold captures the minds of all it touches. Your army would become a coven of zombie slaves the moment they entered the town.”

Samiel rolled his eyes. “You survived, human mortal.”

“The cold was not looking for us,” the sorcerer spat. “And I can protect myself from magic.”

The general lunged forward, slamming his hand against the desk. “And what makes you think the cold is looking for us?”

“It’s elvish magic.”

Tara’s words forced the Samiel back into his chair. “I doubt you would know elvish magics if you saw them, mage—”

“Sorcerer,” Tara corrected. “If you’re going to mock me, do it right.”

“—but if you could defend yourself against this ‘elvish magic,’ then I’m sure my elf wizards will have no trouble with this cold.” The captain stood to dismiss the meeting.

“With all due respect, general,” Tara barked, darkening the lights of his room with a spell embedded in his staff. “I am far more powerful than any wizard you have here.”

“Don’t try to impress me with your tier ranking, human. We elves are—”

“Perhaps you are wondering why your wizard has yet to contact you with any insight into my thoughts.” Tara stood, letting arcane wind billow his capes backwards. “Perhaps you should send a guard to check on your wizard. And a healer.”

Samiel glanced at one of the sentries, who disappeared out the back tent flap. He returned in an instant, pale and shaking. The general turned an accusing eye to the sorcerer.

“The moment I felt your elf touch my mind, I broke him. He’ll recover before you reach the elflands.” Summoning power to his staff, the wizard prepared to defend himself if Samiel chose to retaliate.

The general stood and turned away from the two humans. “So tell me about this mist-golem. This… WitchKing.”

“There is a gem, a sapphire, imbedded in the WitchKing’s armor. I believe this is the source of the cold. If I can get the gem, I can stop the cold.”

“And what of the WitchKing? He is a golem from the cold mist, so taking the sapphire should destroy him?”

The sorcerer shrugged. “I hope we can destroy him in the process of taking the sapphire.”

The general nodded, glance to his sentries, and made a hand signal. “Then we’ll send a force ahead to deal with this WitchKing so my armies can move freely.”

Tara and Agrathan stood, gathering their possessions. “How many do you intend to take?”

Samiel counted in his mind. “Six elves. I’ll come, three guards, and two wizards. I refuse to depend on a human wizard for protection.”

Curling both hands around his staff, Tara bowed. “Gather your men and meet me outside your camp. I can magic us straight to Rold.”

Cloaks swirling, the sorcerer motioned to Agrathan and marched from the tent.

DF  Post #: 5
12/30/2008 12:12:43   
Alixander Fey

“Dragon’s bane,” one of the elves breathed. “What is that?”

The party stood outside Rold, paces away from the spot where Tara and Agrathan had first seen the town. Milky fog covered the town, shrouding the buildings and the roads—the cold had only grown thicker. Tara knew that elvish eyes could not pierce the mist; his immortal companions were as fearful as he and the ranger had been.

“It’s called the cold,” the sorcerer said. “Don’t let it touch you, and be wary of anyone you see walking in the town. The elven wizards both conjured curtains of flame to ward from the cold. The ranger shifted nervously and tugged at Tara’s sleeve.

“If elven wizards are so much more powerful,” he whispered, “how did you break the one who tried to probe your mind?”

The sorcerer laughed and spoke so only Agrathan could hear. “The elves keep their true spellcasters locked within their boarders. The wizards whe accompany their patrols are weak and backward. I doubt they will survive this fight.”

The ranger grimaced and nodded. “Well,” he said louder, “are you going to bring a shield up so we can go?”

Tara shook his head and stepped towards the town, clicking his staff against the stone beneath their feet. “I enchanted us against the cold before we entered the elf camp. The cold cannot touch us.” He watched in satisfaction as the elves shot jealous glances his way. Turning to the wizards, he swept his hand towards the town. “I won’t be able to fight the WitchKing,” he informed them. “I have a more important task. I doubt you have the strength to harm him, but you can drive him back with fire spells. If either of you know any particularly strong fire techniques, use them wisely. Let the swordsmen try to drive the gem from his chest, while your protect them and keep him occupied.” Both wizards nodded, not too arrogant to take advice from a more experienced mage.

Turning to the town, the sorcerer descended the gentle slope and threw open the abandoned gates. The entourage followed him with raised blades and wary glances. Using his spiritsight, Tara found the WitchKing quickly and guided the elves to the golem.

The armored fiend waited silently in the center of the town, his sapphire heart gleaming. When he saw the elves, he raised his broadsword over his head.

“You have brought friends, MageBorn. Elves. I will kill you all together.”

The mist-golem lunged, driving his blade towards the first of the elven guards. His sword pierced the weak magic barrier and the elf’s armor. The sentinel fell, dead.

Cursing, Tara closed his eyes and cast his own magic. A fiery sphere shone around them, keeping the cold that infested the town at bay. Now they only had to worry about the mist the WitchKing summoned himself. Waving his fingers, he threw defensive wards over Samiel and the other sentinels. Then he conjured a wall of flame that drove the WitchKing back several staggering steps. The elven wizards followed his lead and covered the golem in a barrage of fire.

“Eman s’yreva!”
A magical prison sphere materialized around the WitchKing, walls made of orange flame. The orb flickered, then faded—one of the elves cast a demeaning glance at Tara, mocking him for his failed spell. Tara only laughed.

Instead of sputtering out, as the elf thought, the sorcerer’s prison sphere had morphed to block a different kind of spell—channel magic. The invisible orb fought against the streams of magic pouring into the WitchKing, imparting the channeler’s will. Tara and the distant elf entered a mental wrestling match, each one gabbling for control of the spell. Through one open eye, the sorcerer noted that the WitchKing slowed, allowing Agrathan and Samiel to score several strikes against the cold-golem.

The channeler’s mind thrust forward, blackening Tara’s vision with his oppressive weight. The wizard staggered backwards, grunting, before he threw up a new round of mental defense that deterred the elf’s attack.

With a feral roar, the WitchKing threw the ranger and the elves aside, charging towards Tara with single-minded purpose. Enthralled by his fight with the channeler, the sorcerer never saw the attack coming. Instead of striking with his blade, the cold-golem raised a hand and cast a spell that stripped Tara of his wards. Then, he sent a wave of cold billowing towards the sorcerer.

Naked before the arcane mist, Tara fell to its power in seconds. Icy fingers wormed up his spine, paralyzing the mage and ending his duel with the channeler. His prison sphere disappeared, leaving the WitchKing free to act. A whip of frigid air struck Tara from behind, throwing him to his feet. He caught himself on his staff—but the shaft, suddenly made of ice, shattered. The wizard toppled to the ground, now also made of ice. He folded himself into a ball, cursing the cold and wishing it away. Frost dirks dug into his thighs and forearms, chilling his bones and inching their way into his heart.

Fighting the mist, Tara hid within the fortress of his own mind. He called a single spirit to him, fuel for fire magic, and shut the cold out.

Still, the ice came, hoping to imprison is entire body in a solid, frozen block. The cold attacked the fire spirit he had summoned, leaving him with no magic. With trembling fingers, Tara reached for the shards of his staff.

The cold fought him, icy shackles pulling his hand away from the broken splinters. By the force of his own will, Tara clutched the shard and dragged it across his arm, drawing crimson blood. Drawing strength from the life-force that escaped from his body, Tara set the cold on fire.

“Fete!”

As the cold burned away, Tara opened his eyes. He was not curled on the ground like he had thought—instead, he stood over a defenseless elf, Samiel, who gazed at him in horror mixed with confusion. Horror: Tara was on fire. Confusion: Tara had cut himself with the knife, instead of the elf’s throat.

Staggering backwards, the sorcerer tripped over the corpse of an elf. An elf whose neck had been slit. He didn’t have to cast any blood spells to know that his knife had cleaved the sentinel’s flesh.

Samiel stood, grasping his sword in a trembling hand. “What…”

Tara dropped the knife, reaching for his un-broken staff and dousing the flames with magic. “The cold…” he whispered. “It was so cold.”

Agrathan—who had seen the whole thing, but had been unable to fight Tara and the WitchKing at the same time—grunted as the golem drove him back. Tara summoned a column of flame to throw the creature back, offering the ranger a brief respite.

“I thought you said the cold couldn’t touch us,” he huffed through deep gasps of air.

Tara could only clutch his staff and shiver. “I… the WitchKing tore down my wards. His magic is too strong…”

Samiel only shook his head and joined Agrathan. The mist-golem charged again—Tara realized for the first time that someone, either he or the WitchKing, had killed the wizards too—and lunged for the ranger. The elf and the human fought in perfect tandem, complimenting each other with swift strikes and deft parries.

Tara fell back, summoning a few fireballs to distract the WitchKing. After laying another set of wards on himself, Agrathan, and Samiel—and offering a prayer that the golem would not tear these down—he cast his prison sphere again.

The orange orb flickering, morphing to block the channeler’s magic. They entered the same mental struggle as before, only this time the channeler fell to Tara’s fury. He pictured the dead elves in his mind, funneling his anger at their deaths by hand into raw arcane power. The elf’s mind staggered backwards, driven down by Tara’s attack.

The great distance between the WitchKing and the elf channeler dimmed his power. Still, he pushed Tara back, once he caught his balance. The prison sphere slowed the WitchKing again, and Agrathan came close to driving his flaming brand into the sapphire heart.

The elf shoved Tara backwards, but the sorcerer clenched his fists and pounded the channeler’s presence backwards. The magical link weakened—the WitchKing stumbled—for a heartbeat, before the elf pumped more magic into the mental chain. Tara released another telepathic punch, then another, sending the elf retreating from the black-robed wizard. Making a choking motion with on hand, Tara followed the link, travelling through the avenues of magic until he too stood in a dark, blackened tower. The elf wizard had no wards cast on himself, and Tara hurled him against the wall. From such a great distance, even the simple attack drained nearly all of the sorcerer’s strength. He tried to strike again, but his mind failed him.

Just before he could retreat, follow the elf’s channel spell back to his own body, the link severed. Thrust back into reality with impossible speed, Tara swooned. He fell backwards, landing on his backside in time to see the reason for the broken link—Agrathan and Samiel both had a sword stuck through the WitchKing’s breastplate. Twisting their weapons, they freed the sapphire heart. It clanked to the ground, glowing brightly as it summoned the cold back to itself. From all across the town, blue mist thundered like storm clouds, disappearing upon contact with the gem’s cold surface. The WitchKing’s armor toppled backwards.

Tara’s wards fell one by one as he lost the strength to hold them. He used his staff like a crutch, standing and gathering his robes. Hobbling to the ranger’s side, he retrieved the sapphire heart. It was cool to the touch.

“Three Gods,” Samiel cursed. “What power is this?”

Tara smiled beneath his dark cowl. “Now do you believe that this is elf magic?”

The general sigh and collapsed to the ground. “I do.” Dropping his sword, he cast a glance to his fallen comrades. “And if the cold could control a wizard of your power…” His voice rang free of malice. “I have to thank you for warning us. Who knows what this WitchKing could have done with an army of elf slaves at his command?”

Tara shook his head, polishing the heart with his cloak. “The WitchKing was just a summoned golem. There was an elf behind this, a wizard in a dark tower. I followed the channel to his source and fought him, just before you broke the link.”

Samiel’s eyebrows rose. “An elf? I had hoped that some human had found one of our wizard’s secrets. What did the elf look like? Did you see him?”

The sorcerer shrugged. “He looked like an elf. Blond hair, fine cloths, pointy ears. That’s all I saw. I’m sorry.”

The general stood, sheathed his sword, and nodded. “I understand.” Reaching out with both hands, he took the gem from Tara’s arms. “As long as the elf does not find this stone, its magic will be dormant, yes?”

Tara nodded, leaning on his staff. “Yes, the gem is docile. With a little study, I’m sure I could drain the heart of its enchantments. Then it will just be a pretty stone.”

Samiel narrowed his eyes. “No, I don’t think so. I’ll be taking this stone back to the elflands. We’ll have our own wizards decide what to do with it.”

The black-robed wizard shot an uneasy glance towards Agrathan. “I’m sure I could find all I need before you reach the elflands. I can study during the nights as Agrathan guides you during the day.”

The elf general took a step back. “No,” he said, stern-faced. “I think you’ve already proven that you are vulnerable to the magics of this stone. I think it’s best to keep you far away from it.”

“You can’t really plan on taking it back to the queen? You’re going to use this as a trophy!”

Samiel stood unphased. “It is a trophy. Yes, I’ll be taking it to my queen, and I’ll be taking it without you.” He turned and began marching towards the town’s gate. Tara followed him, using his staff like a walking stick to support his frail body.

“But you could be putting the queen in danger! You need to let me investigate first! What if there are other ways to activate its magic?”

The elf snapped around, rigid and straight. “There could be a thousand ways to activate this gem,” he said. “And that means a thousand good reasons to keep someone like you away from it. Even if you don’t fall to the sapphire, what guarantee do I have that you won’t use it for your own ends? I will find another guide. Thank you both for your time. I shall tell my queen the role you played in defending her armies. You both fought valiantly.” With that, the general marched past the gate, disappearing over the horizon and summoning his elf army with a blowing horn.

Agrathan placed a hand on Tara’s shoulder. “Well, he’s an idiot.”

The sorcerer laughed and shrugged the ranger off. “The one time I wanted you to jump into my argument, you stayed silent.” Tapping his staff against the ground to provide light, he searched for the pack they had dropped earlier.

The ranger followed a few steps back. “Quite frankly, I didn’t want to be around that thing. And if he’s really dumb enough to bring something that evil to his queen, maybe his queen deserves it for making him a general.” He adjusted the bandaged on his leg and took the pack when Tara handed it to him.

The sorcerer turned his cowled head, gazing after the departed elf. “I wonder who made the sapphire. And I wonder if Samiel isn’t just playing right into his hand by bringing the stone to the queen.”

Agrathan shrugged and turned back towards the center of the town. “Well, we don’t have any reason to go south now. I guess we should help these people recover from their losses. Aren’t some of them still trapped in your fire shields?”

Tara laughed and shook his head. “No, I freed them the first time we fought the WitchKing. I couldn’t hold the spells any more.” Instead of following the ranger, he turned towards the open gate. “I don’t think I’m going to stay, Agrathan. You’re welcome to help them, but…”

“But what?”

The ebon-cloaked sorcerer opened his gloved hand, revealing a small silver ring. “This ring records enchantments. I imprinted the sapphire.” Shuffling towards the gate, he sighed. “I’m going back to the tower. I want to uncover the secret of the cold.” He paused again. “And then I’m going to learn how to channel.”

Agrathan chuckled, shook his head, and turned back to the town. “I’ll see you around then, Tara,” he called. “I’ll bring the rangers around to your tower once I’m done cleaning up here.”

Tara nodded in farewell. “If I learn to channel soon enough, I might send my spirit to help you.”

The sorcerer slipped outside the gate, turning northward when he reached the road. Fingering the silver ring in one hand, he hummed an old trail song and resigned himself to a long walk home.

DF  Post #: 6
12/30/2008 12:13:51   
Alixander Fey

“Very good, general. I am pleased with your work.” The beautiful queen of the elves smiled and lighted back in her golden throne. “And what of the wizard who helped you? MageBorn, your guide?”

Samiel bowed and placed the sapphire at his queen’s feet. “He guided us through the mountains as he agreed, and then he left to pursue his own ends. He promised me the gem was docile.”

The queen’s smile turned sour. “I would have liked to speak with him. He could have offered valuable insight into this stone’s power.” One of her orderlies retrieved the sapphire heart and offered it to her. She stood gracefully and accepted the gem. Turning, she stepped behind the thick curtain into her private chambers. Setting the gem on her trophy case—filled with swords and rings and busts and armor—she returned to the throne room and extended her hand to Samiel. The general kissed her ring and stood, eyes widening as another servant brought him a decorated golden sword. “Consider this my thanks, Samiel. May you always serve me as faithfully as you do now.”

The queen dismissed her court and exited through a side door. Samiel belted the new blade and followed the rest of the court orderlies out the gaudy double doors.

Veiled in shadows, one orderly slowed his gait. His was a familiar face about the palace, always standing by the queen when she held court.

Reaching into his tunic, the channeler withdrew a small pendent—framed around a sapphire gem—and kissed it. He followed the trail of servants outside, risking one last glance at the throne before he closed the doors.

No one else noticed the tendrils of milky blue smoke that curled below the curtain.

< Message edited by Alixander Fey -- 12/30/2008 12:14:31 >
DF  Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> The Cold
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition