Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: The Orc Knight, book 2

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> RE: The Orc Knight, book 2
Page 2 of 2<12
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/9/2009 16:04:27   
HK 47

Tommy and Sarah continued their march to Sarah’s village, Tommy getting a bit more worried the close the two came to the village. He gulped a bit, trying to think about how he should handle the situation.

Sarah noticed this, and said to Tommy, “You’ll do great. I know it.”

Tommy sighed. “Hopefully,” he said. “I just…I hope things won’t end in violence.”

“Why not?”

“It’s just…they seem so sensitive…plus, I don’t want to kill if I can avoid it.”

“You’re a mercenary who’s known for brutal murder!”

“Not quite. I try to be a nice guy, and that means I just can’t commit bloody murder left and right. Bad public relations.”

“I see,” Sarah replied. “So what plan do you have in mind for stopping the catgirls?”

Tommy sighed. “To be honest, I don’t have a plan as of yet. But I hope I’ll find one when I get there.”

“Well, if you fail, my whole village might be killed off!” Sarah raised her hands above her head as if trying to emphasize the matter.

“I know, I know, you don’t have to tell me more than once,” Tommy replied. He sighed again. “I hope things will end well.”

The two rode on for a couple days, when they reached the forest that Sarah’s village was in. Tommy got off his horse and put his hands on his swords, slowly edging his way into the forest.

Sarah flew straight ahead of Tommy, and yelled, “Come on! I don’t think we have much more time!”

Tommy nodded, and then gulped. “Right,” he said, following Sarah at a sure but steady pace.

As the two made their way to the inside of the forest, Tommy picked up the distinct smell of a catgirl. He instinctively reached for the Blade of the Sky. Tommy started to look around frantically, trying to pick up where the scent was coming from.

Sarah looked at Tommy, and sat down on his right shoulder. “Don’t worry,” she said. “I know that you can do this, I’ve seen you in action before.”

Tommy sighed. “Yeah, well that makes one of us,” he replied.

The scent of the catgirl began to grow stronger, and Tommy gripped his sword tighter. Sarah began to look around. “Do you smell one?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Tommy answered. “It’s growing stronger, so that means the catgirl is getting closer.” He began to look around, smelling the air to try to pin down where the catgirl was.

Tommy began to look around, and muttered, “Come on out…I know you’re out there…show yourself…” A few leaves rustled. “Where I come from…we face our opponents…”

The scent grew very, very strong. And Tommy finally pinned down where it was coming from…right behind him. Tommy whirled around and drew his sword, only to find that it was the same catgirl who he saved. She had red hair, cat ears, two very small fangs, and a tail. She wore some nice clothing that she got from Eldor, which covered up most of her body. She still bared her stomach though.

The catgirl grinned. “Hiya!” she said, with a playful, child-like voice. “It’s been a while, hasn’t it?”

“Yeah, it has,” Tommy replied. “So what are you doing here?”

“Well, food has been running scarce recently…we’ve had to move deeper into the forest to get some more food…” the catgirl’s voice sounded rather upset.

“You do realize that you’re getting dangerously close to a pixie village?”

“Yeah…that’s what I’m afraid of…”

“What do you mean?”

“See, the leaders of my tribe aren’t willing to simply back down from their advances…I think they want to overtake the pixie village.”

Tommy sighed. “Then I guess I’ll have to force them to back down…I so didn’t want it to come to this.”

The catgirl tilted her head to the left. “Oh?” she asked. “Why not?”

“Let me be blunt. That moment where we first met…it kinda scarred me mentally.”

The catgirl looked down. “Oh…sorry…I didn’t mean to…”

“You don’t need to apologize. You can’t change who you are. And to be honest, I came here so that I can get rid of that problem.”

The catgirl then grinned very widely. “Okay then! I’ll take you to my tribe then!” she said, grabbing Tommy’s hand and starting to run off, Tommy in tow.

Tommy was a bit startled at this, but went along with it anyway. Sarah flew behind Tommy as fast as she could to catch up. “Wait up!” she yelled.

Tommy gulped, hoping that he will be able to do things the right way. “By the way, I never caught your name,” he said.

The catgirl simply grinned again. “I’ll tell you if you can get the leaders to back off,” she replied.

Tommy nodded. “Um…sure…I think I can handle that,” he replied. Although in his mind, he knew that he was very unsure about if he could do it or not.

“You know, you were very kind to me back when we first met, treating my wounds when I was injured.”

“Whatever did happen to you anyway? What were you doing away from your tribe?”

The catgirl sighed. “You can say I’m not always very happy with what my tribe does,” she answered. “The day we met I had run away from my tribe and was attacked by some bandits. They really didn’t like me for some reason.”

Tommy sighed. “They’re bandits. They attack anyone just so they can get some money. They weren’t just going after you, you know that, right?”

“Oh, really? Huh, I thought that they were targeting me, given that there were about five other guys around me.”

“Huh. Well, did they have weapons?”

The catgirl stopped and started to think. “Come to think of it…yeah…” she replied.

“And you didn’t?”

The catgirl nodded. “I think so.”

“Then there’s your answer. Bandits always pick on the weakest target because they know they can’t resist them.”

“Oh…” The catgirl looked down onto the ground. Her eyes then lit up. “Well, I’m glad you were there to save me!”

“It’s what I do,” Tommy replied, almost in a monotone. The catgirl leaped onto Tommy and gave him a hug, burying her head in his chestplate. This caused Tommy to be taken back a bit. “Uh…can you…let go of me?”

The catgirl let go. “Oh…uh…sorry…” she said.

Sarah couldn’t help but laugh. “Awww…isn’t this couple cuuuuuuuuute?” she asked playfully.

Tommy immediately grabbed Sarah and brought her to his face. “You. Quiet. Now,” he growled.

Sarah was outright startled that Tommy was doing this. “Sorry, sorry!” she said.

Tommy let go of Sarah and sighed. “This is going to be one long mission…” he muttered.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 26
12/4/2009 17:54:21   
HK 47

Commander Nigo entered Emperor Masuto's palace. As he marched through the palace, the clanging of his Adamantium boots garnered attention. "Oi," one samurai said. He wore the classic samurai armor, and had his right hand at his katana. "What are you doing here?"

Nigo looked in the direction of the samurai. "I am here to speak with the Emperor. It concerns Thomas' mercenary group," he answered.

"Oh. What about them?"

"I wish to join, but I do not know where their base of operations is located. I was hoping that the Emperor would be willing to clear things up for me."

"What is your name?"

"Just call me 'Commander Nigo'. I'm a good friend of Thomas'." Commander Nigo hoped that saying this would get him to the Emperor.

The samurai looked at Nigo for some time, and sighed. "Alright, I guess I can take you to the Emperor. But you must show respect to him at all times, do you understand?"

Nigo nodded. "Yes, I fully understand," he said. "After all, these lands are built upon honor, and I would not try to destroy that."

The samurai nodded. "There is something I must ask you," he stated.

"Yes?" Nigo asked.

"Some of the guard has stated that Thomas is actually an Orc. Is this true?"

Nigo raised his eyebrow. "What is their opinion on that?"

"They act surprised. But they never say anything bad about him behind his back. I think the Emperor actually likes Thomas because of that. On occasion I can hear him attempting to speak Orcish."

"Well, truth be told, Thomas is an Orc, as am I," Nigo stated, realizing that it was safe to say it. "However, I can't say that it should be told to the public. Would cause a bit of civil unrest having some mercenaries who double as bounty hunters protecting their city when their leader is an Orc. Civilians don't like it when their enemies are helping them. Feels awkward, really, as it is for me talking to a human without blades being drawn."

"I can only assume so. Well, time for you to meet the Emperor." The samurai and Nigo both began walking towards the throne room, some of the samurai looked at Nigo and wondered if it was Tommy.

One samurai approached Nigo, and bowed. "It is an honor to have you back, Thomas," he said.

"Um…I'm Commander Nigo, Thomas' friend. Thomas is off on a solo outing and won't be back for some time," Nigo replied. "I came here to find Thomas' base so I can join his mercenary crew."

The samurai nodded. "Oh…sorry for the mix-up."

"No, no, it's something I expected. Both Thomas and I have roughly the same build and wear the same amount of armor, hide our faces behind masks, et cetera, but one thing that we don't have in common is that I use a large axe, he uses dual swords. Another fact is that I wear Adamantium armor, he wears Mithril. Though that last one wouldn't be noticed except to someone well versed in armor materials."

"I see. I've rarely seen a man wearing metal armor before, so I couldn't tell the difference."

"Reasonable. No offense, but iron quality around here is pretty poor."

"You should watch what you say, peasant. Though admittedly, our swords have yet to cut his swords, much less get through his armor…"

"You've seen Thomas use his swords?" Nigo said, raising his right eyebrow.

"Once," the samurai replied. "His swords cut katanas without getting as much as a dent on it."

"True. Now I need to go and see the emperor. So long my friend." Nigo looked up and began walking towards the throne room again. As he moved forward, he began to smell the air, hoping to catch some interesting scents. No such luck came to him.

When he finally arrived in the throne room, Matsuo was sitting on his throne with a bored look on his face. When he saw Nigo enter the room, he mistook him for Tommy, and grinned. "Welcome back dear Tommy! I must admit that you were gone for a shorter period of time than expected!" he said.

"You've got the wrong guy," Nigo responded. "I am Commander Nigo, Tommy's friend."

"Ah, my mistake. It is difficult to tell, given that both of you hide your faces behind masks," Matsuo replied.

Nigo nodded, "It is fine. I understand the mistake." Nigo remembered why he came to the palace. "I must see Tommy's group of mercenaries. Where is their headquarters located?"

Matsuo nodded. "They don't have a very fancy headquarters. It's basically just a house. You can find it in the 4th district. It's the house with the helmet and mask on the roof. The rest of Tommy's mercenary group is not currently there, though you are welcome to wait there for them."

Nigo nodded. "My thanks for your help. I hope that I can work under you soon, as you seem like a respectable leader."

One of the Samurai seemed outraged at this. "You dare dishonor our lord by saying that he 'seems' like a respectable leader?!" he yelled.

Matsuo motioned for the samurai to step down. "He is not aware of our customs or our people. Exceptions must be made for newcomers," he said with a rather stern tone.

"But Matsuo-sama, he is dishonoring you with his words!"

Matsuo sighed. "It is fine. He is new to our lands. You must show respect to our guests."

The samurai nodded. "My mistake, Matsuo-sama."

Nigo began to walk off. "I shall be leaving now to meet up with the rest of Tommy's mercenary gang," he stated. "My thanks for helping me out."

Matsuo nodded. "Good luck. I do so hope that we can work together in the near future."

Nigo bowed. "I would be honored," he said, taking his leave.

When Nigo exited the room, Matsuo sighed. "More and more mercenaries are joining Tommy's group," he said to himself. "Soon, King Jakgo is going to take notice. I fear that we may have a war on our hands."

AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 27
12/18/2009 16:07:36   
HK 47

Commander Nigo approached Tommy's house. He whiffed the air to see if someone was inside, but did not smell anyone. He decided that it would be rude to simply enter the house, so he decided to wait around to try to see if they would come to him.

As he waited, he thought he picked up the smell of an unfamiliar person. At first he thought it was Tommy's crew, but he realized that it wasn't when an arrow was shot at him. Thankfully his adamantine armor stopped the blow from penetrating, but it startled him.

Nigo grabbed his axe and prepared for combat. Three men leaped out from the shadows. One brandished a sword of Eldor make. His face was hidden behind a hood and mask. Another brandished two daggers. His face was pretty rough, looking much like a human-sized Dwarf. The third brandished a bow and arrow, as well as an axe by his side. His face could've been passably fair was not for the scar that ran down the right side of his face, over his eye. Each assassin wore leather armor.

The one with the sword spoke first. "There you are, Tommy. Time for you to die for kidnapping the princess of Lebanon," he said with a somewhat thick Elven accent.

"Wrong guy," Nigo replied. "But I can't let you kill my friend. So I'll just kill you and get it over with."

The three of the assassins scoffed at the possibility of dying. "You? Kill us?" the assassin with the bow stated, having a Human accent, most likely from Osaka. "Pleeeeeeease, you couldn't possibly kill us! You're just an Orc!"

Nigo smirked underneath his mask. "Well then, let's just see who the stronger one is," he replied. Nigo took his combat stance, where he held his axe at about chest height, with the head pointing at the enemy soldiers.

The dagger assassin attacked first, charging at Nigo, and attempting to plunge his daggers into Nigo's chest. However, the daggers simply scraped off of Nigo's armor, leaving the assassin vulnerable. Nigo didn't waste his chance and smacked the assassin across the face. The assassin rolled on the ground a few yards, groaning from the force of the impact.

As the assassin was reeling from the blow, Nigo swung his axe down at his assassin, landing the head square in the forehead. The assassin died instantly. The bow and arrow assassin started shooting arrows, again running into the problem that Nigo's armor was too tough to damage.

The sword assassin tried to attack Nigo, but his blade was just as useless. Nigo grinned, and stated, "Who sent all these babies to fight?" while head butting the sword assassin to the ground.

Nigo swung his axe down again, but barely missed as the assassin rolled to the side. The assassin grunted as he said, "What the hell kind of armor is that?"

Nigo answered, "Adamantine armor. Much tougher than your standard armor. Good luck trying to break it with your puny swords."

The bow assassin shot arrow after arrow at Nigo, but each one bounced off his armor. "JUST DIE ALREADY!" the bow assassin yelled.

"Keep crying baby!" Nigo yelled as he charged towards his attackers. He swung his axe in a wide arc, hoping to hit the bow assassin on the temple. Of course, the assassin ducked, and Nigo completely missed.

As Nigo was recovering from the swing, the sword assassin shot off a fireball at Nigo's position, apparently having studied magic. The spell hit Nigo dead on and exploded in a violent fashion, knocking Nigo back and killing the bow assassin by proxy.

Nigo slowly stood up from the blow. "Agh…got me good," he said.

The sword assassin grinned beneath his mask. "Hah! Who's crying now?" he yelled.

"You are," a voice said, with lighting blasting the sword assassin square in the chest. The sword assassin died instantly from the spell.

Nigo looked in the direction that the spell came from and saw Karin, Rich, and Leola walking up to him. "You okay Tommy?" Karin asked.

Leola shook her head. "That's not Tommy," she stated.

"You sure?" Karin replied. "Sure as hell looks like Tommy."

"Wrong armor."

"The girl's right," Nigo replied, standing up. "My name is Nigo Gro-Asam. Five Sword Commander. I was looking to join your team, actually."

"Huh. You one of Tommy's friends?" Rich asked, tilting his head about twenty degrees to the right.

"Yeah," Nigo answered. "The two of us almost went to the same academy. If he hadn't become a Commando, he would've joined up with me."

"I see," Leola stated. "Did you see him recently?"

"Yeah, the two of us passed by each other. Guy's beating himself up over letting Ylthorin escape when every Orc eventually does that. It's hard to play the good guys."

Karin sighed. "Well, long as you're here, perhaps you can help me with something," she said.

"What might that be?"

"I know I may not look it, but I'm actually a pretty good scientist. I've been thinking about putting up a new lab in our base so that I can finally get the fun out of running experiments again. Problem is that I don't have the right equipment for the job yet. See, I left behind all of my materials and research when I left the demon world. I can use some makeshift equipment out of the various magical equipment you can get around here, but it won't be as effective as my original materials."

Leola shot a look at Karin. "And you never told us this why?" she asked.

"Never felt the need to tell ya," Karin answered. "I had left behind my job as a demon scientist a while back. To be honest, most of my time as a scientist was spent seeing in how many ways I can bring havoc to a planet, though I did have a lot of fun experimenting on the various species. I actually am to blame for most of the race's defining features. Human intelligence, Elven magic, Giant size, etcetera. However, there was one experiment that I'll never forget. Actually, it's staring us in the face right now."

Nigo blinked twice. "You mean the Orcs?" he asked.

"Yep," Karin answered with a passion in her eyes and a smile on her face. "I was contracted by the higher ups to provide a creature that can effectively hunt down and kill rogue demons. There were so many ideas I had. Flight, fire breath, shooting lasers out of eyes, so many ideas."

Karin then pointed her sword at Nigo. "But in the end, I chose the current Orc design, because it was simplistic and easy to make. High levels of strength, high durability, enhanced senses, and two other trump cards I put in. It was pretty easy to make, but one trump card I had discovered almost by accident," she stated.

"What?" Leola asked.

Karin's eyes almost lit up. "There are two Orcish trump cards. The first is their berserker abilities. When an Orc goes berserk, they are nearly impossible to kill. That one was easy to make. But I realized that a second trump card was needed. Something that could combat the high-level magic of some rogue demons. And that's when I found it."

"What is it?" Rich asked, almost afraid to find the answer.

"Simple," Karin answered. "I created the Orcish anti-magic gene. At its peak, the anti-magic gene can allow an Orc to nullify the most powerful spells, even those casted from an Omega-level demon. Of course, soon after I had finished the Orcs and their effectiveness was proven, I realized that it would cause a bloody civil war over who gets the most Orcs. They would be treated as property, not as beings. So, I suppressed the gene and sent them to this world to live their lives."

Nigo started to ponder all that he was just told. "So what you're saying is that Orcs were not in the original races?" he asked.

Karin started to laugh. "You didn't honestly think a nearly-broken tier species was naturally created, did you?" she asked, almost teasing him. "The Orcs, if their anti-magic gene was reactivated, would be able to bowl over any race that stands in their way simply because they can't be killed."

Nigo began to think things over, contemplating this new information. "I suppose you have a good point," he replied after a five second pause. "Even still, it is somewhat difficult to swallow, realizing that I, and all Orcs, are artificial creations simply built to kill rogue demons…"

Leola nodded. "It does seem strange…" she stated.

"Oh, no doubts," Karin replied. "Still, I eventually need my equipment if I want to do the higher-end experiments. We can start by getting magical equivalents, like crystal balls and whatnot."

The group nodded. "Alright, we do have an excess of money," Leola noted. "We have some to burn."

Nigo sighed. "So am I on the team?" he asked.

Leola, Karin, and Rich all looked at each other for one second, and all three nodded. "A friend of Tommy's is a friend of our's," Leola replied. "Welcome to the team."

Nigo grinned beneath his mask. "Glad to be aboard!" he said in a very loud voice. "Now, let's get working on setting up Karin's lab."
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 28
2/26/2010 14:41:08   
HK 47

Tommy and Sarah kept on following the catgirl until they reached a clearing. Tommy had one hand on his short sword at all times, partially out of worry that they would be ambushed, despite the fact that his senses told him that there was nobody there.

The clearing that they arrived in was very peaceful, with no animals at all. Yet at the same time, it felt like someone or something was watching them. The grass was green as could be, and there was a field of flowers as well. It looked very idyllic and very peaceful.

"Nice place," Sarah commented, although she knew the place, given that she lived in this forest.

"Yeah," the girl replied, "I like to come here when I want to relax."

Tommy sighed. "You said that we would be visiting your village," he reminded.

"Tommy, you need to learn to enjoy life!" Sarah said with a really happy voice.

"Enjoying life is not so easy when you have to spend most of it killing people and trying to avoid getting your identity revealed to the world," Tommy rebutted.

Sarah's expression quickly changed to a rather blank expression, realizing that she had been beaten. "Oh," was her only reply.

"Tommy," the girl stated, "The pixie's right. You spend too much time worrying. You need to kick back and relax some!"

"Says the girl that was assaulted and beaten," Tommy replied, although he knew that wasn't much of a rebuttal.

"That wasn't much of an argument," the girl replied. "Seriously though, relax some. You can't get through life without enjoying some of its pleasures."

Tommy sighed again. Of course these people would say that, they don't know what life is like being me, he thought to himself. Now if only these two had some actual experience with the real world then we could get somewhere with all of this.

Sarah looked at Tommy, and despite the fact that he was hiding behind his mask, she could tell that he was a bit paranoid at the moment. "Calm down Tommy," she said, "Even if we get ambushed I know that you can take them!"

Tommy nodded slowly. "Yeah, sure," he said. However, he wasn't so sure about his abilities, as these were foes he hasn't fought at all. He's usually confident in his ability when he knows his foe, but he's met a grand total of one of the Nekomimi in his entire life, and that was the one standing right in front of him.

The girl decided to take a wide grin and told Tommy, "Hey, don't worry man. I don't think that anyone in my tribe would attack you for no reason."

"And what do you assume they'll think when they see you standing next to me?" Tommy replied.

"Huh?" the girl asked, "Gee, I never thought of that…I'll straighten things out if things go that way."

That's very helpful if they decide to ask us about what's going on first… Tommy thought to himself, trying not to say something sarcastic out loud. He then decided to ask, "So, why are we here in this field of flowers again?"

The girl grinned. "Because I wanted to show you something first!" she said, closing her eyes in an attempt to seem happy.

Tommy nodded slowly. "Uh, okay then," Tommy replied, "So what is this thing you want to show me?"

"Oh don't worry, you'll see soon enough. Now come on, we're almost there!" The girl said, grabbing Tommy's arm and pulling him along with her.

Tommy was obviously startled, but went along with her. Sarah flew right behind the two, trying to catch up. "Wait for me!" she yelled.

As Tommy, Sarah, and the girl crossed the field of flowers, Tommy picked up an unusual scent. He couldn't quite put his finger on that smell, though he got the feeling that he smelled it beforehand. He tried to push it out of his mind and kept on following the girl.

Once they reached the center of the field, Tommy noticed what appeared to be a strange and ancient tree. The tree was easily the largest tree in the forest, yet was oddly having branches come out randomly, giving the tree no well-defined shape. The girl then decided to say, "This tree marks a nexus, a place of great magical power."

"Oh?" Tommy asked; interested in what she would say.

"Oh yes. You don't see too many nexuses around because they are often well-hidden. I've found this nexus while walking around."

"How are you so certain that it's a nexus?"

"Those branches don't grow out like any other tree you've ever seen. Nexuses typically are like that."

"Uh huh…" Tommy scratched his helmet, thoroughly confused. "So why did you want to show me this?"

"Because what you did, it kinda reminds me of this nexus. Always
standing there, always watching, and always ready to protect."

"That by far makes the least amount of sense that I've ever heard. And believe me; I've heard some nonsensical things before."

Sarah sighed. "Tommy," she said. "These nexuses are very important locations to the world because they are what give us our magical powers."

"What?" Tommy asked. "I'm sorry, but I don't study magic, so I wouldn't know."

"See, each one of these nexuses was created by the Gods to grant us all magic. This nexus grants us nature magic, manipulating the grass and the trees. Very few humans or Elves study this school because it doesn't have direct benefits. When in this location, nature magic becomes much more powerful."

"OF COURSE!" a new voice rang out. Tommy's eyes widened as he heard that statement, and whirled around to the source of the voice. It was a human, wearing black leather armor and with a slicked-back red hairstyle.

"Bison?" Tommy asked, "I thought you were dead."

"You will find that I am not so easy to kill," the man replied.

"Still planning on world domination?"

"OF COURSE! You know that it is the only way to stop the Elf/Orc war. This war has been going on for well over 9000 years, and what's to stop the Elves from assaulting other races after the Orcs are gone? If anything, the Orcs are the only race keeping the Elves in check. Your kind are the ones keeping the Elves from spreading too far," Bison replied.

"Bison," Tommy replied. "I understand your motivation, but you can't simply declare yourself the new ruler of the world. Plus, getting a third sword in on this mayhem will only worsen the conflict."

Bison nodded. "Ah, that I know," he answered. "In fact, I've given up creating a third sword. Instead, I am going to focus on these nexuses for my new plan."

The catgirl and Sarah dropped into a fighting stance. "Not while we're around!" the catgirl yelled.

Bison simply chuckled. "Really now, a pixie and a Nekomimi are going to stop me? I've already planned out how to stop both of your races from meddling in my affairs." He then looked back at Tommy. "Tommy, this has to be done. If we do not stop the Elves, who knows what sort of chaos will happen."

Tommy sighed. "At what cost? The races aren't going to so willingly obey your will. The swords will not bow to you, what chance do you have?"

Bison grinned. "With the nexuses, a pretty good chance. Each nexus has great power. The power-up to spells within the immediate area, that's simply residue leaking out. Each nexus has the power of a God because they are so strong. Every race draws from their power when they're casting a spell. Even the Orcs draw from a nexus."

Tommy raised his right eyebrow from under his mask. "What? Orcs cannot cast magic," he answered, in a completely flat tone.

Bison put on a wide grin. "That's where you're wrong Tommy," he answered. He then raised his right arm and pointed directly at Tommy. "Orcs are connected to the most powerful of all the nexuses, the anti-magic nexus."

Tommy was honestly confused at this point. "Anti-magic nexus?" Tommy asked.

"Yes. The anti-magic nexus. The anti-magic nexus contains enough magical power to offset all the other nexuses combined. The anti-magic nexus is the most difficult to locate, but when accessed, it can negate any spell by simply making it not exist anymore.

"Orcs do have a connection to this nexus, but they cannot tap into its power. For whatever reason, I know not. However, if we can get direct access to that nexus, we can stop the Elves cold turkey because we can stop any of their spells, even the Archmage's. Then we can steamroll right over them because they will be completely defenseless!"

"You would honestly think that this would be so easy? Elves are great archers as well as magicians!" Tommy stated, raising his tone of voice.

"Hah!" Bison replied, laughing off Tommy's reply. "The Orcs cannot die so easily, especially if they use their berserker mode! It's foolproof I tell you!"

Tommy sighed. "Then you know nothing of the Orcs," he replied. "Orcs utterly hate their berserker mode. They say that it turns them into mindless, slobbering beasts that thirst only for destruction without care for loss of life. They can even turn on their own allies because of their berserker mode, because they lose control of their own actions."

Bison grinned. "Oh don't worry about the blurring of friend and foe. That's what the psychic nexus is for," he replied, completely calmly.

"The psychic nexus?" Tommy asked. "What are you talking about?"

"You see, there are three kinds of magic in this world. Normal magic, anti-magic, and psychic powers. The third one is the rarest kind of magic, and one that can use psychic powers cannot use any other kind of magic. However, by utilizing the psychic nexus, they can manipulate the mind of the living. When an Orc goes berserk, all we need is a psychic who can control him."

"You say that as if there are enough psychics and they are powerful enough to control enough Orcs that can use their berserker mode."

"With the psychic nexus we can control several Orcs with just one psychic!" Bison argued. "It's the perfect plan!"

Tommy groaned. "Bison," he started. "This war won't end that easily. Even if by some miracle you actually take over the world, you'll still have a large population of the world refuse your rule. You can't just take over this place so easily."

"So then what would you do Tommy? You've been ignoring this war for so long, your people are suffering, and they need all the soldiers they can get!"

Tommy grinned. "That's why I've been getting allies to create a Horde. We all agree it's pretty much the only way to end the war. We don't need insane planes like yours to stop the war; we're going to win with our own soldiers and logical tactics and strategy."

Bison sighed. "Tommy. You'll need me. One Horde isn't enough, you need someone who can control the Horde and stop the Elves easily," he answered. "You should know that I'm great at planning and moving a small army around to win against larger forces. After all, I've been causing a lot of trouble for the Elves by using nothing more than simple bandits. If I can get my hands on a legitimate army, I can easily crush the Elves!"

Tommy frowned. "Bison. Stop trying. You can't win this war with insane plans like yours."

Sarah flew up to Bison and said, "Yeah! Leave the nexuses alone!"

Bison swatted Sarah away from his face. "I don't need to listen to someone who barely is the size of my thumb," he coldly stated. He then looked back at Tommy. "This has to be done. One day, you'll see. Now then, I'll go back to my base and start drawing up the plans to find the anti-magic nexus. Simply remember that one day I will have the world. And then, there will be no more war, no more violence! Everything will be perfect."

Bison started to walk away, and said one last line. "You should've accepted my offer. I could've helped you stop the bounty hunters that are coming after you."

After Bison left into the trees, the catgirl then asked, "Who was that guy?"

Tommy sighed. "Bison. As you have seen, he wishes to take over the world. I clashed with him once before, and I thought that he was killed in that attack. Goes to show how wrong I was," he answered. "Last time he wanted to make a sword corrupted by a powerful spirit of darkness, one that could rival the king sword and the god sword. Let's hope that he doesn't do something completely stupid with his new plan."

The catgirl nodded. "Okay then Tommy. Now then, I'll take you to my tribe," she said. "We've delayed long enough."

Sarah got back up and flew up again. "That crazy man! How dare he hit a woman!" she yelled.

Tommy then pointed out, "I've done that to you a lot of times. You shouldn't be so outraged that Bison did that to you."

Sarah looked down. "Oh yeah," she said. She then lifted her head back up with a large, goofy grin on her face. "Well, let's stop wasting time and get to the Nekomimi tribe already!"

Tommy nodded. "Alright, let's go," he said.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 29
3/8/2011 15:21:33   
HK 47

Tommy, Sarah, and the catgirl left the nexus and moved further into the forest. “So…what did you mean by the ‘corrupted swords’?” Sarah asked, trying to break the ice.

Tommy groaned. “It’s a long story,” he answered, constantly checking around him, trying to see something that was not there.

“Got a short version?”

“Long story short, two powerful swords got corrupted by spirits of darkness. They constantly clash with each other. Bison tried to create a third such sword to neutralize both swords, hoping to wield all three.” Tommy stopped for a bit, smelling the air. Smelling nothing unusual, he continued, “Suffice to say, a small team and I managed to stop him. I thought that we killed him, but apparently he’s not dead yet.”

The catgirl looked at Tommy, and asked, “So what are you going to do about his new plan? We can’t just let him get away with it!”

Tommy shook his head, as if a bit annoyed. “I know. Problem is, I don’t have the resources to deal with him. Plus, I’ve been kinda busy trying to just live a life as a mercenary. The life of an adventurer ain’t for me.”

The catgirl tilted her head to the side about 45 degrees. “Difference being…?”

“One gets paid for doing things, the other actively seeks out danger,” Tommy answered, once again stopping to look around him. “I would prefer to be the former.”

Sarah decided to ask, “Why do you keep stopping and looking around?”

“Can I help it if I’m a bit nervous?” Tommy asked. “I mean, this isn’t work that I’m used to doing. I’m more used to hitting things with my swords instead of diplomacy. I still don’t like having to help you out with this ****.”

“HEY!” Sarah yelled. “You take that back!”

Tommy looked right at Sarah, staring at her for about 10 seconds, before saying, “I didn’t like working with you the last time we met. What makes you think that I changed my mind? You were annoying, you stole things all the time, and you constantly butted into my own personal conversations. I’m not doing this for you. Keep that in mind.”

Sarah pouted, though Tommy knew that she wouldn’t stay mad at him for long due to her very child-like personality. The team then resumed heading out to their target location. Though it was very difficult to tell, Tommy’s eyes were widening as they headed further into the woods, and he was starting to sweat. The walk continued uninterrupted for roughly half an hour before the girl stated, “Okay, we’re here now! Oh hey Tommy, I just remembered something.”

Tommy stopped and looked ahead, seeing what looked like a very primitive tribe village. Wooden huts, a fire in the center, and the villagers gathering around in the center, apparently looking at something. Reminds me of home… Tommy thought to himself. Course, I don’t know how close this will be to home.

“Tommy? You listening?”

“Huh? What?” Tommy shook his head, bringing himself back to reality.

“I said that I just remembered something going on today.” The girl grinned widely, as if she was going to tell a joke. “There’s a big tournament going on tomorrow. Best warriors in the village all come together to test their skills in battle, in the hopes that one of them will be able to gain the favor of the chieftain. Perhaps if you enter and win, you could gain enough influence with the chieftain to get them to leave?”

Tommy rubbed where his chin would be if not for the mask with his right forefinger. “Hmmm…that does sound like something simple enough. Plus, fighting is what I do for a living. While I don’t think that violence is the best solution to all problems, in this case, it should work out well enough. Any specific rules I should be aware of?”

The girl thought for a moment, trying to recall the rules. “Hmmm…I remember that there’s not supposed to be any armor in the battles. It’s all about testing your agility as well as your strength,” she answered.

“And we’re using actual, metal weapons?”

“No, silly, it’s all wooden weapons! What, you thought that we were stupid enough to go without armor with live weapons?”

Tommy wiped where his forehead would be with his left arm. “Phew. I thought for a moment that we would actually be running a major risk of death there. If it’s just with wooden weapons, I’m game,” he answered. Though I don’t know if I’ll be able to actually get through the whole thing…

“Come on then! We’ve got to sign you up!” the girl said, grabbing Tommy’s arm and dragging him with her.

After charging through a crowd quite recklessly, the two of them managed to reach what looked like a booth. There was a sign next to it, but it was written in a language that Tommy didn’t understand. “What does this say?” Tommy asked the girl.

The girl walked over to the sign, and answered, “‘Whosoever wants to join the tournament must first prove himself worthy. 3 Gold Coins as an entrance fee, and some opening duels to prove your strength. May your soul guide your sword towards victory, and the chance of earning favor with the chieftain’.”

“Just 3 gold?” Tommy asked, grabbing his coin purse and pulling out three Lebanese gold coins. “Shouldn’t be hard.”

Tommy approached the booth. The man running the booth gave Tommy a good look over. He wasn’t particularly strange to look at, mostly human, barring the cat ears, the tail, and his eyes being much more cat-like. “I presume you wish to join our tournament?” the man asked, speaking perfect Common.

Tommy nodded, and laid down his three gold coins. “Indeed. I hope that you can accept Lebanese coins. My Osakan coins are with the rest of my team, who aren’t anywhere near here,” he answered.

“Gold is gold to me, I don’t pay attention to the exchange rates.” The man grabbed the three coins and put them in a chest. “You may enter, but remember, you cannot wear your armor for this tournament. We test agility as well as strength.”

Tommy nodded. “You’ll find that I have plenty of that,” he answered, walking past the booth. On the other side was a large open dueling ring, complete with warriors training fiercely. Tommy walked over to the armory, and removed his armor. He then realized that he felt a little bit naked without his armor, as he had been wearing it for several years straight.

One of the warriors, who was very clearly an Elf, walked over to Tommy. “By the Ruler, what is an Orc doing amongst us?” he asked, though he didn’t seem to say it with any ice in his tone.

Tommy looked over at the Elf, looking over him. Like most Elves, he was shorter than your average Human, with a very lean build. Blonde hair, brown eyes. Naturally fast, but extremely frail. “I was hired to move the Nekomimi’s base. They’re getting a bit close to a nearby Pixie home. In order to do that, I need to gain influence with the chieftain. This tournament is the best way I know how to do that,” he answered, with not a hint of sarcasm.

“Is that so?” the Elf asked. “Huh. I thought that you came here to kill everyone here.”

“Orcs aren’t all ‘burn, pillage, and rape’, you know.”

“So I’ve heard. One of our High Marshalls got captured by the Orcs recently. We had launched a raid to find him, but when we got to him it appears that he rather enjoyed the Orcs. We all thought it strange, considering that he was fighting alongside our ancient enemy.”

Tommy frowned, trying to recall any such details. All he remembered was that a High Marshall was one of the top-ranking Elven officers out there. Countless centuries of experience in warfare, but they inevitably turned out to be poor with adapting when something unusual happened, which was why Orcs loved to have their officers find their own plans as opposed to teaching them standardized tactics and strategies. “Never heard of that,” he answered. “But it doesn’t surprise me. There’s a lot to Orcs that not a lot of people know about.”

The Elf nodded. “So it would seem…it feels awkward to be having this discussion, doesn’t it?”

Tommy shrugged. “I’ve had this conversation with Elves before, they just didn’t know I was an Orc. Let’s change the subject though. Mind telling me what you’re doing here?”

“I was…captured. The Nekomimi ambushed my patrol, and killed off quite a few of my troops.” The Elf lowered his eyes, as if ashamed to admit defeat, which they usually were. “They managed to capture me before I could escape, and brought me here. They said that if I managed to win the tournament, they would let me go. If not, I am to be married to the chieftain’s daughter, which would forever shame my line. I have to win this. You understand, don’t you?”

Tommy nodded. “Yeah, I do. Tell ya what, if I win, I’ll see what I can do to get you out of here. But I expect that in return, you’ll help me out with removing the Nekomimi from the general area if you win. That sound fair?”

The Elf nodded. “Makes perfect sense to me.” He extended his hand. “Let’s shake on it…partner.”

Tommy grabbed the Elf’s hand, and gave it a light shake, knowing that his strength was far greater than the Elf’s. “Once the Elves learn that you got help from an Orc, they’ll cast you out, if not try to kill you. I happen to run a mercenary team over in Osaka. Would you consider joining us?”

The Elf nodded. “Indeed. As long as I can avoid death from my own race. By the way, perhaps we should exchange names?”

“Thomas Gro-Alack. You?”

“Evgeny. Evgeny Dostovernov.”

“Nice name,” Tommy said. “Okay then, perhaps we ought to get some training in before the tournament starts?”

“I was thinking a little one-on-one to work out the kinks.”

“Works for me,” Tommy said, grabbing two wooden swords, of roughly equal length to his own, and started twirling them around, looking them over and getting a feel for them. Lighter than my own. Speed will be increased by quite a bit. This’ll come in handy, considering that I’m training against an Elf.

Evgeny pulled out his weapons that he was practicing with: two wooden short-swords. “This’ll be quite ironic, won’t it?” he asked.

“Yep,” Tommy answered. “If it helps, we can pretend that we’re still enemies?”

“No, I’m good,” Evgeny replied. “Let’s get some practice in before the waiting kills one of us.”

Tommy and Evgeny took to the training ground, where a couple of Nekomimi were training, either in sparring matches or by running weapon drills. Most of them were quite agile, meaning that it would be difficult to land a proper blow on them. The two took to the nearest open training arena, and took their stances. Evgeny’s stance was a simple one, his right sword, which Tommy presumed was his primary hand, held out forward, ready to strike. His left sword was held in a reverse-grip, prepared for defensive maneuvers.

Tommy’s stance was his normal one for duels, both of his swords extended forward, his right sword held high, and his left sword held low. Left him wide-open in the center, but he knew well how to counter those moves from years of practice and intense Commando training. “I’ll let you make the first move,” Tommy stated.

“Fine by me,” Evgeny answered, slowly walking forward, not breaking his stance once. When he got within a proper striking distance, he broke his stance and lashed out, hoping to get Tommy with one move. Tommy, however, saw the move coming and deflected it with his right sword, with speed that he wasn’t used to.

Perhaps wearing that armor for so long had a secondary effect on my speed…Tommy thought, though he also chalked it up to his natural strength. Tommy then brought his left sword up, hoping to catch him while his attacking sword was thrown off, but got a response with Evgeny’s defensive sword catching his left sword.

The two broke from striking distance to regroup and get back into their stances. Tommy readied his blades again, and this time he took the offense. Moving slowly, Tommy got within striking distance and swung his right sword down, a common counter-move that he learned early on in his Commando training. As Evgeny moved to block it, he stabbed with his left sword, catching him off-guard and getting him right at his gut. “First win goes to me,” Tommy observed. “Thought you knew how to counter dual-weapons.”

“Been a while since I fought somebody who uses two weapons at once. Not an easy style to counter when you’re trying the same thing. You know that, right?” Evgeny answered.

“That I won’t deny,” Tommy answered. “Let’s keep this up though. One round isn’t going to be enough, I think.”
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 30
3/9/2011 18:41:12   
HK 47

Tommy and Evgeny dueled for roughly five hours, factoring in their short breaks to gather their strength. The two had actually attracted a small crowd of the other duelists, most of whom were taking bets with each other. Each duel was quick and to the point, each attack being made as if it was a true battle. The win ratio by the time they finished dueling was roughly 10 battles for Tommy against 5 battles for Evgeny.

The two put aside their swords for the last time today. Evgeny decided to say, “You’re quite skilled, Thomas. I never expected that. I mean, for a people that lives such short lives and all…”

Tommy chuckled. “True. Few Orcs live past thirty-five years of age. I had the benefit of Commando training. One of the toughest training regimes on the planet,” he answered, grabbing a cup of water and downing it as quickly as he could.

“How tough are we talking?”

Tommy pulled his head back, looking up into the sky. It was still daylight out, but the sun was going down, leaving the sky a pretty color of orange. “Within my training party, there were around 2,000 to 5,000 aspirants. Out of those thousands of aspirants, only a few hundred managed to pass the regime. There were about 300 or so who didn’t survive the regime. Literally.”

Evgeny gasped, “Y-You’re serious?! Why would anybody have such a harsh training regime?!”

Tommy shook his head. “The only reason why my people have survived for so long is because of the fact that we abandoned everything else to survive. Our cities, our farmland, we retreated into the desert. The mountains made it impossible for any army to pass without going through several chokepoints; many of those were guarded by various Dragon camps that we managed to persuade to join us. We abandoned any pretense of a civilian lifestyle. Because of this, my people focused on war. Everything we do is geared towards fighting. Any Orc is taught how to fight as soon as they can pick up a sword, which is within a year, for most. The toughest and strongest of my kind are picked to join the Commando ranks. We need to weed out the weak, as the demands of Commando work are tough.”

Evgeny slowly nodded his head, and looked towards the side, as if upset about something. “I see…so my people forced you to adopt such a harsh lifestyle…” he stated, his tone of voice low and sad.

Tommy shook his head, and patted Evgeny on the back. “Your kind was only following orders,” he stated, trying and failing to sound jolly. “Besides, any Orc would be willing to die for his kind.”

“But, if you abandoned all civilian life, how are you even capable of feeding yourselves!? Your kind has such vast numbers, greater than any one of the civilized races!”

“Various sources. While my people have forgotten how to farm, we have other ways of gaining food. Shipments from allies, mass fishing, et cetera. My kind is a hardy people; we always find a way to survive in the end.”

Evgeny shook his head, then sighed. “I still can’t believe that my people have brought this about for an entire race. To force them to devolve into savagery just to get by in a war without end.”

Tommy chuckled. “This war has gone on for so long that I don’t think my people would get used to peace by now. It’s something that we all want, yes, but over nine thousand years of war can do that to us.”

One of the Nekomimi, a male, lean build, green eyes, and brown hair spoke up. “The Elf/Orc war? Heh, it’s just a fact of life by now,” he stated. “Much money to be had by doing various jobs for both. Not like I care though.” His voice was very proud, and sounded much like a human teenager from Osaka.

Tommy shot the Nekomimi a look. “You are?” he asked, eyeing over the man.

The Nekomimi stood up, striking a warrior’s pose, twirling his axe in his hand, and then slamming it into the ground. “Name’s Matsuyama Kuniumi. I’m the chieftain’s son, and the winner of this tournament three times running. Gotta say, it’s going to be interesting having an Elf and an Orc in this tournament. Not like you guys’ll win, but it’ll be interesting to fight you.”

Evgeny shook his head. “Overconfidence is the downfall of many a champion. I have seen many brave souls lose their lives because they were so foolishly brave to think that nothing could stop them in the end,” he stated, trying to sound like he was saying something wise.

Matsuyama snorted. “Whatever man. Three times in a row, and there was some stiff competition. I’m pretty sure that I’ve got this one in the bag.”

Tommy shook his head. “I have to agree with Evgeny here,” he stated. “I’ve seen countless warriors and friends die because they were too confident in their abilities. The battlefield is unpredictable. What may work one day won’t work the next, and vice versa.”

“I’m certain that you’ll be a challenge. You’re an Orc, after all. The Elf, not so much.”

Evgeny grunted. “HEY!”

Matsuyama laughed a hearty laugh. “Oh come on, you guys can’t even beat the Orcs after over nine thousand years of war! You guys are pathetic!” he said, pointing at Evgeny.

“And yet my kind has yet to beat the Elves,” Tommy noted. “They aren’t quite as weak as you may think.”

“Yeah, but they have allies, and your kind doesn’t. I think that’s a win for you guys.”

Tommy shook his head. “You underestimate the capabilities of the Elves. But if you will not listen to reason, that is fine for me. Go off and do…whatever it is your kind does,” he said, dropping back into his old officer tone.

Matsuyama chuckled. “Alright then, sir,” he replied, his voice oozing with sarcasm. Matsuyama then walked off to go practice against a wooden dummy.

“Wow. What a dick,” Evgeny noted. “I’m amazed that he’s lasted as long as he has.”

Tommy shrugged. “People are who they are. We just have to roll with the punches,” he answered. “But I’m going to enjoy going up against him to get him to shut up.”

The girl walked over to Tommy, a clear pout on her face. “What is with that guy?!” she asked, clearly referring to Matsuyama.

“He’s the chieftain’s son. I suppose that’s inflated his ego a bit,” Tommy answered.

“Even still…last time I saw him, he wasn’t nearly as rude!”

Evgeny looked over at Tommy, then to the girl. “I presume you know her?” he asked.

“Not really,” Tommy answered. “Don’t even know her name.”

“…OH!” the girl yelled. “I…I’m sorry, my name is Nakashima Sachiyo.”

“Nice name. I’m sure you know mine already. So, tomorrow the tournament begins. I’m going to enjoy this round. Haven’t been in a proper tourney for quite some time.”

Evgeny nodded. “I suppose for a man whose entire culture revolves around war, it would be entertaining. Let us get some sleep first. We’ll need our strength for the morning.”

The three nodded, and headed off to the barracks. As Tommy and Evgeny fell asleep, old memories resurfaced for them both.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 31
3/9/2011 20:16:05   
HK 47

Tommy took his place on the watchtowers overlooking the only "safe" passageway into Orcish lands. Naturally, it was the single most well-defended spot for the Orcs. Ahead laid the human lands, a lush field of green and beauty. Behind him was the Orcish desert, a nearly inhospitable wasteland where his people had taken refuge from the Elven attack over nine thousand years ago. Tommy often times wondered what would await him when he finally got his first deployment. So far, he had been confined to the wall.

The one thing separating human lands from Orcish lands, besides the mountains all around the desert, was the Great Orcish Wall, a marvel of engineering. Constructed out of solid stone, and reinforced with adamantine, the wall was strong enough to resist any attack thrown at them. No matter how many times they attacked, the Elves and the Humans were never capable of destroying the wall. They always had to go over it, or have a spy unlock it for them. Along the wall laid many Orcish runes, stating various things, the most notable being "Keep out, if you wish to survive", printed in large Common letters. It never deterred anyone, but it was put on there anyway, mostly to amuse the engineers.

The wall had suffered numerous defacings on both sides. On the Elven and Human side, there were various defacings in various languages, the ones that Tommy could read usually called out the Orcs as a bunch of cowards for hiding behind their wall. The Orcish side had various paintings done by bored Orcs, though there were a few runes that asked questions such as, "Is this our fate? To fight and die for all eternity? Shall this be what shall remain of us? A garrison of Orcs, fighting for our lives against a foe that we cannot defeat?"

Tommy always thought such words to be words of those without much faith in The Horde, the official name for the Orcish army. In practice, there were a bunch of unofficial monikers used by both sides, the most common Orcish one being, "Guardians of Hope". Each Orcish battlegroup was officially designated an Orcada, Orcish for "Battalion". In practice, likely due to the fact that officers were constantly being rotated in and out, and always being taught to seek their own tactics, Orcada was just the most common name. Various names had emerged regarding various battlegroups. Most had specific titles associated with them, such as the 110th Orcada "Champions of the Orcs", a nickname gained by the fact that the 110th Orcada has succeeded in more battles than any other Orcada. It was the 110th Orcada that had managed to break the siege of the Elven fortress "Kierlyn", a previously unassailable location that had long prevented the Orcs from launching any deep raids against the Elves.

The 110th Orcada had also managed to break the back of a human raid that had managed to sneak past the Dragon camps undetected and caught the Orcish flank completely unaware. Many Orcs said that were it not for the 110th Orcada, they would have fallen a long time ago. Tommy always found their reputation to be interesting, but somewhat overblown, especially upon closer inspection. Many of their deeds suffered from hyperbole and bold-faced lies. But, such was their reputation that many Orcish armies rallied when the 110th Orcada arrived to reinforce them.

Of course, what many people didn't say was that the 110th Orcada had 3 full battalions of Orc Commandos. To many Orcs, the Commandos were more of myth than truth. Warriors who many have never seen and fewer even know properly. Commandos tended to operate away from the rest of the Orcs, launching their attacks, breaking enemy lines and defenses with well-placed explosives, perfectly timed flanking maneuvers, and good old-fashioned recon. Most of their reputation was overblown by order of the Orcish High Command, specifically to frighten the enemy with tales of Orcs who would be able to meld into the shadows, assassinate leaders without the targets knowing what hit them, and being able to survive for months on end without any support. A reputation that many Commandos worked to upkeep.

Tommy may still have been in training, but he already was competent enough to battle many opponents at once. He had seen many of his comrades pass away during the training, or wash out, but he worked forward to make his family proud. I may still be in-training, but when I manage to pass, I'll do my entire people proud. I'll show these Elves what the Orcs really have in store for them…Tommy thought, overlooking the plains ahead.

One of his fellow Orcs on guard duty, a Sergeant named Brom, climbed up the ladder and stood next to Tommy. "You know," Brom stated, "Your first deployment will prove to be most dangerous." His voice, like many Orcs, had a very low tone to it, almost growling at every word. His skin was a deep emerald, much like Tommy's, and he was also heavily-muscled. He stood wearing his NCO's armor, identified by the Orcish rune Nagam, standing for "Leader". Their official designator was still Sergeant though. In his hilt laid a standard Orcish battle axe, a well-crafted, yet plain-looking, weapon, crafted from the finest Orcish steel that was not put into the bonding process to make Adamantine.

Tommy nodded his head. "I know," he replied. "And I know my purpose here on the wall, as do all of us. This wall is our most important location, the only way for our enemies to safely get inside. But, more importantly, this task is to teach me patience, to watch for signs of trouble from a distance. In doing so, I am to apply this towards my missions, to be able to observe a battle, or an enemy force, from a distance, and then to know when to strike."

Brom nodded. "Indeed so, Thomas," he replied, reaching for his canteen that was standard-issue to all Orcs. He took a swig, and put it back in its holster. "Patience is the most vital skill for any Commando. You will need to master these skills if you are to prove yourself worthy of your training."

Tommy squinted, looking out into the plains. The land was so green and lush compared to the brown and lifeless desert. Oases occasionally dotted the desert, but most Orcs knew that these Oases were important less for their water and more for their resources. Papyrus, clay, supplies to make ink. The Orcs, contrary to the common portrayal by the "Nobles", as they called themselves, and indeed, contrary to the propaganda spread about by High Command, didn't abandon all of their previous civilian knowledge. In fact, many Orcish camps dotted their desert, located nearby the oases, so that they can create civilian supplies such as clothing, pottery, and even paintings. These "Civilian" camps were kept under tight-wraps, as High Command didn't want anybody to know that their people still had some civilian skills.

It wasn't nearly as hard as it sounded, as nearly all of their items that they created were inevitably shipped out to their few outside allies, mostly human kingdoms that either came about to understanding, or were occupied by other Orcs, so that the Orcs could obtain food. Tommy knew that, from a theoretical standpoint, the Orcs had a rich land. In practice, such wealth tended to be forgotten when you had to give it all away just to survive. Even then, sometimes the Orcs wouldn't get the supplies from their allies, either due to a poor harvest, or the supply convoy being ambushed by the "Nobles".

Tommy always found the concept of the Elven side of the war being portrayed as the Elves and Orcs always having been at war with both contempt and amusement. On the one hand, the reaction to every Elven prisoner they had when they first saw that the Orcs weren't savages was always priceless. Sometimes, Elves were so taken back by Orcish hospitality that their minds nearly shattered, turning them into gibbering wrecks. Tommy always found that amusing. He knew that Elves weren't used to radical changes from the norm, something that the Orcs have learned to exploit, but seeing their minds break at the concept of friendly Orcs was surprisingly funny to him.

On the other hand, the claim that the Elves are the "Noble" race irks him to no degree, a sentiment that many other Orcs shared. Technically, the Elven side of the war was called the "United Noble Armies". In practice, they tended to get many derogatory nicknames on both sides of the fence, the most common moniker from the Orcs being, "United Nationalistic ****s". In fact, Tommy had noticed that it was because the Elves had such a hypocritical approach to themselves and their allies that some of their former allies had actually rebelled against them, notions that were either crushed swiftly, or rescued thanks to the Orcs moving in to rescue them. These rebels were then given a full Orcish defensive compliment, which was usually enough to ward off future attackers.

Tommy then noticed somebody coming over the horizon. "Think I see something," he said to Brom.

"Enemy soldiers?" Brom asked.

Tommy headed over to the scope attached to all of the towers, and aimed it at the oncoming person. Upon closer inspection, there were five people. "Five of them. An Elf, two Humans, a Dwarf, and a Halfling. Judging by their loadout, the Elf is the primary spellcaster. Human #1 is a Paladin, likely the leader of the group, the Dwarf is decked out in heavy armor, Human #2 seems to be a priest of some sort, and the Halfling is wearing leather, likely a Rogue. Standard adventuring party. Must think that they'll get glory by raiding us."

"Again? That's the fifth adventuring party within the past month!" Brom lamented. "Ya think these adventurers would wizen up by now, but noooo, they always have to raid us. Set up our usual anti-adventurer measures."

Tommy nodded. "At once, Sergeant," he answered, reaching for the lever clearly marked "Nazem Ka Alem", which meant, when properly translated, "Leave now, Adventurer". "Just give me the go-ahead."

Brom took over the scope, and kept his eye on the party. "Huh," he noted. "Looks like there's some kind of contingency between humans 1 and 2. They seem to be arguing quite loudly with each other. I'm gonna hate to rain on this parade. Wait until they are within optimal striking distance."

Tommy knew what he meant. The "Optimal striking distance" for their anti-adventurer maneuver was roughly around 200 meters away from the wall. Once the team was within that distance, he pulled the lever, and a catapult below them, armed and loaded with a bomb, shot their little "surprise" towards the party. For amusement's sake, the bomb was typically labeled with the human phrase "So long suckers!".

Immediately, the party scattered, the bomb hitting right in the center of where they once stood. The bomb was always set for a delayed reaction, as it usually meant that the party would walk right back towards the bomb before it explodes. Unfortunately, this group comprised of the "smart" band of adventurers, and they stayed away from the bomb until it exploded. There was a bunch of swear words being tossed at them, thought Tommy thought he heard Human #2 yell, "Hey, we were having a conversation over here!"

"Well, so much for plan #1. Shall we invoke plan #2?" Brom asked, clearly amusing himself with these adventurers.

Tommy grinned, eagerly reaching for plan #2's primary weapon, a ballista that shot off roughly twenty arrows at once. Horribly inaccurate, but with that many arrows being fired at once, somebody was bound to get hit. He aimed it carefully, seeing that the party was still trying to regroup. "Light me," Tommy said.

Brom immediately reached for his matches, grinning like an idiot. He struck his match, and then lit the fuse for the ballista. When the arrows shot off, the Elf was just about to let loose a fireball, and was on the final line of the spell before he saw the arrows and yelled, "OH CRA-!" Then the spell backfired on him, causing the fireball to be centered on his location, immediately blowing his body up into meaty chunks. The rest of the arrows wound up getting the Dwarf and the Halfling right in the face, and the humans had to scatter again, though the paladin got one arrow in his leg, causing him to fall to the ground. More swears were shot at them, the paladin daring them to come and fight them like a true warrior.

Tommy decided to shout back, "Hey idiots! You really expected us to play fair? You're in Orc lands now! And rule #1 of Orcish battle is: Anything goes, no exceptions! Run back home to your mother and cry some more!"

Human #2 cried back, "You're a coward! If it wasn't for your wall, you would have fallen long ago!"

"Well then it's a good thing we made this, isn't it? Sorry, but I don't like dying!"

Human #1 tried to stand back up, but wound up falling back down, the arrow injury making it impossible to stand. Tommy almost pitied the guy, if it wasn't for the fact that he tried to launch a siege of Orcish lands via the front door with about 5 people. For his people, it was those kinds of deaths that got them put in the "Tomb of Idiots", a sarcastic tomb designed to house the dumbest Orcs after they passed away. It was obvious that the human was suffering, so Tommy grabbed his bow and arrow, took aim, and fired off a mercy kill shot. A perfect hit, square in the chest. "Good shot," Brom said. "Keep that up and you might make it through the trials."

Human #2 was extremely pissed off, ranting and raving about how they killed her best friend. Tommy groaned and fired off another arrow to get her to shut up. Despite not even aiming for that region, he managed a perfect headshot, killing the target nearly instantly. "Well, that shut them up," he said, putting away his bow and arrow. "Well, I'll go down and reload our anti-Adventurer weapons."

"You go do that, I'll take over your watch."

Tommy nodded and slid down the ladder, walking over to the catapult. One of the Orcish engineers was standing over it, already in the act of reloading. This engineer, Kharn, was a bit violent at times, but fun to be around. "You need help with that?" Tommy asked, heading to grab the catapult's winch.

"Why did you shoot that thing?" Kharn asked, his tone slightly icy, but Tommy knew that was his regular tone of voice. "This thing is supposed to be used against an adventuring party of ten or more people, not your average five-party team."

Tommy just chuckled. "It's always funny to watch those adventurers scatter, and you know it," he replied, a hint of amusement in his tone.

"Well, yes, I'll give you that," Kharn said, setting down the bomb next to him. "But you've got to remember that these things are expensive. It isn't easy to get the fuse to the right delayed reaction without risking making the bomb a dud. You really shouldn't waste these things because you're bored. The brass'll chew us out for crap like that."

"Whatever you say," Tommy answered, putting on a grin of amusement. He turned the winch enough times so that the catapult was back in its resting position. As Kharn put the bomb on, Tommy asked, "So, any news coming from the rest of the engineers?"

"Rumor's been going around of a new weapon the brass are testing out, " Kharn answered. "Don't know the specifics though."

"Well, who knows, maybe this weapon will help us win the war?" Tommy put down his sword into the ground to support his weight.

"That's what they're saying," Kharn answered, grabbing his toolkit and looking over the catapult again. "Course, that's what they said last time with the whole fiasco involving the 215th Orcada."

"Oh yeah, that one. That's the one where they were testing out a new bomb that we can use on the sea, and it wound up exploding before it was deployed into the ocean, right?"

"That's the one," Kharn answered. "I would hate to be the engineer that made that bomb. Must've gotten his ass handed to him by the brass." Kharn stood up, announcing, "Looks like this catapult is A-OK for firing again. Just don't waste the next round, these things aren't easy to replace."

Tommy nodded. "Got it. I need to get back up the ladder to resume my duties."

"Say hello to Brom for me, will ya?"

Tommy grabbed the ladder, and looked back at Kharn. "Sure thing man."
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 32
3/10/2011 16:36:32   
HK 47

Three days had passed since the last Adventurer attack, and Tommy was starting to grow bored from overlooking the wall. Whatever happened? I thought that there would at least be an Elven raid or something…he thought, staring out towards the plains ahead.

Sergeant Brom climbed up the ladder to the tower, taking his place next to Tommy. “You know,” he stated, “This does seem to be getting dull. Looks like the Adventurers have learned their lesson or something.”

Tommy nodded, only half-listening. “There’s always a calm before the storm,” he replied, citing an important lesson for the Commandos. “Whenever it seems as if something is going too well, it probably is. Always expect ambushes.”

Brom shrugged. “Most likely.” Brom stared out into the plains, and then patted Tommy on the shoulder. “You should take a break. You’ve been at this for about five hours straight now. Every warrior needs his rest.”

Tommy shook his head. “No. I must keep up my duties. As a Commando, I am expected to be on-duty for weeks on end,” he answered, his voice sounding about as honest as an Orc’s voice could sound.

“Even still,” Brom replied, “No warrior can ever stay on-duty for eternity. Besides, your shift is almost up.”

Tommy shrugged. “I’ll go down when my replacement arrives. Until then, I’m going to keep my eye over the plains, like I’m supposed to.”

Brom nodded. “Fine by me. I’ll just go back down and keep my eye on the recruits.” Brom headed over to the ladder and slid down quickly.

Tommy grinned behind his helmet and mask. He was amusing himself by imagining a major battle with the Elves at this gate, him and small squad of Commandos-in-training taking to the field and battling the enemy, forcing them back from their defensive lines via surgical strikes and assassinations. His team was a small one, no more than five Commandos-in-training. They were taught to work as a team, so each one of them had gotten to know each other on a personal level.

The team was comprised of a small, standard team. Tommy comprised of the second-in-command, with Brom as the team’s Sergeant, the only full Commando in the team. The team’s Medic was a Half-Orc named Argash. As the only Half-Orc in the team, he also pulled double-duty casting spells, mostly healing-related, but he was also quite competent with medicinal herbs as well. Pulling ranged duty was the only member of the team in leather armor, Ambek. Always a bit laid-back, often times to the point of insubordination, but he proved himself to be more than competent at his job. Finally, there was the demolitions expert, Gualta. Tommy found him as a tad bit unhinged, as he always offered exploding something as the answer to nearly every problem that they would encounter. Very reliable when it came to finding just the right spot to plant explosives though.

Usually, Orc Commandos operated at around platoon-level, carrying out various tasks such as wielding heavy weapons, scout duty, and foraging for food. Most of them were cross-trained with various other tasks, however, so that, should some of them fall, the rest could take up the task instead. At this point in their training, however, they were not expected to wield heavy weapons, so instead they were broken down into five to ten-man teams, depending on the stage of training, overseen by a proper Commando Sergeant.

Tommy didn’t like to daydream when on duty though, so he quickly snapped back to reality. He did another quick scan from his station, and noticed what looked like half a platoon heading towards the gates. He grabbed the scope and looked through them, finding just what he feared: Half a platoon of Orcs, some of which seemed to have gotten injured very recently. Tommy quickly grabbed the bell, and rang it, screaming, “Incoming Orc Platoon! Open the gate!”

The rest of the Orcs below were quickly scrambling to their positions, heading over to the gates to give a greeting, as well as some heading onto the wall to pull the wheels to open it. Despite looking completely solid to an outsider’s view, the center of the wall was, in fact, a gate, just a completely solid one. Because of the fact that it was solid stone combined with adamantine, very few had the strength to pull the wheels to open it, a fact that prevented many spies from opening the gates to invaders. As the gate opened, Tommy stood at his position, knowing that there could be Elven troops heading their way. As the half a platoon entered past the gate, Tommy’s replacement finished climbing the ladder. “Oi,” the man said. “You’re free to head down.”

“Sure thing,” Tommy replied, sliding down as quickly as he could, interested in seeing why there was only half a platoon that entered the gates.

Once Tommy finished sliding down the gates, he approached the platoon. Brom was already questioning them. “You’re sure it was Elves?” he asked.

“Sure as I can be, sir,” the man commanding the platoon replied. He was wearing the standard Orcish steel armor, though it looked a bit beaten up. “A hundred Elven wagons, and five hundred Elven cavalry, headed straight towards the gate. My men were caught by their scouts, but we managed to escape. They’re probably aware by now that I’m warning you guys. We need to get the defenses ready, immediately.”

Brom nodded. “Indeed. Did you get a good look at their commander?”

“No, sir. He was still in his wagon when we got attacked by their scouts. I don’t know who’s leading them.”

“Very well then.” Brom looked over at Tommy, noticing his presence. “Thomas. Gather the rest of the squad. We’ve got some recon to do.”

Tommy nodded, immediately saluting Brom, and ran off towards his squad’s tent without a single word. When he arrived, the rest of the squad was busy relaxing. Argash was busy checking over his medical supplies, and Ambek and Gualta were busy arguing over if it is better to blow something up or to just arrow them from a distance. All three of them had a bright shade of green, almost neon-colored. Argash’s armor, a simple yet effective suit of steel armor, with only the marking of the Orcish medical symbol, a saw and a bandage, to mark him out as the medic.

Ambek always carried at least three weapons: A longbow, a small crossbow, and a dagger. His brown leather armor was obtained off of one of the merchants in the marketplace. Costed him a week’s pay, but he thought that it was rather high-quality. Gualta always carried around at least five sticks of dynamite, as well as some Commando-issued throwing daggers laced with black powder. Whenever he threw one of those daggers, he never aimed for the target, but instead any hard surface like metal or rock to light the black powder and cause it to explode. It worked fairly often, but it was never quite as effective as he would liked it to be. He often times said that he would head over to the nearest Dwarven city and grab himself some Explodium to work with, which irritated Brom to no end.

Argash was the first to notice Tommy, nodding his head and stating, “Thomas. Something up?”

Ambek and Gualta stopped their arguing and looked over at Tommy. Tommy replied with, “Yeah. Orc platoon just arrived from scouting duty. Lots of Elves headed this way. He counted a hundred carts, and five hundred cavalry. He didn’t get a good enough look though, so we’re going out on recon duty. Get everything you need, and report to Brom ASAP.”

The three of them stood up, Ambek answering, “Don’t worry Tom, we’ll get this recon over with very soon.”

“Just don’t screw it up like last time,” Tommy answered. “You nearly killed us because—“

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, I was a bit impatient there. To be fair though, neither was Gualta. I swear that he was reaching for his dynamite.”

Tommy shook his head. “Doesn’t matter. Now let’s move it,” Tommy replied, making his way to the exit. “Also, Gualta. Grab some extra dynamite. I have a feeling we might need it. Some firebombs too.”

“Alright! Looks like I get to blow some crap up real good!” Gualta replied, grinning like an idiot.

“Just don’t blow it up without Brom’s orders. You remember what happened last time, right?”

Nobody needed to reply to that. They all knew what happened. Tommy simply exited the tent and made his way over to Brom’s position, who had already packed some extra supplies in his bag. When Brom noticed Tommy’s presence, he looked up. “Thomas. I presume the others are on their way?” he asked.

“Indeed so, sir,” Tommy answered. “I told Gualta to grab some extra explosives. I’m pretty sure that we’ll need them.”

“Smart move. Keep that up and you may make squad leader eventually.” Brom stuffed another ration of meat into his bag. “Until then, though, make sure to run these things by me first. We don’t need a repeat of the incident with the dynamite stick and the trench.”

Tommy saluted quickly. “Sir, yes sir. Any idea what we’ll be dealing with?”

“If I knew, we wouldn’t be running recon, now would we?” Brom answered, standing up and swinging his bag over his back. “What I will say is that we’ll be sticking to the mountainside until we can get a good look at the enemy. Then, we’ll search them through the scopes, and then we’ll go and do closer recon if needed. ‘Till then, we need to be careful though. One wrong move could give away our position.”

Tommy nodded. “Understood sir. Should I get the mountain-climbing kit?”

“Nah, I figure we’ll do this without a kit. You guys could use the experience.”

< Message edited by HK 47 -- 3/10/2011 17:18:25 >
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 33
3/11/2011 9:55:56   
HK 47

The team moved about as carefully across the mountainside as they could, considering the fact that most were wearing armor and were going without a mountain-climbing kit. Ambek was taking point, as per usual. He was moving a lot faster than the rest of the team, mostly thanks to his lighter kit. They were travelling on-foot for roughly five to six hours when Ambek held a closed fist up, the sign to stop.

The rest of the team stopped on the closest out-cropping, and Ambek grabbed his telescope that was standard-issue to all Orc Commandos. He pointed out towards the north, and the rest of the team looked out. Sure enough, there were Elven carts and cavalry, all headed in the direction of the gate. The team grabbed their telescopes and looked in the direction of the carts. “I count a hundred,” Ambek noted.

“Hundred and ten for me,” Tommy replied. “Might be getting confused with the cavalry though.”

“Either way, that makes a thousand Elves,” Brom noted. “And that’s presuming no human allies to back them up. Our defenses could likely hold it, but I think it’s best that we provide some surgical strike support.”

“Perhaps we could take out their leader when he’s sleeping?” Ambek suggested.

“That’s presuming he doesn’t go to bed wearing his robe and mask. Worth a shot, at any rate.”

“Why don’t we just collapse the mountainside on them?” Gualta suggested, motioning towards his explosives. “I’m sure we can have some fun with that.”

“And if they don’t sleep nearby the mountainside?”

“Well then, we can do it the old-fashioned way.”

Tommy listened intently, managing to pick out the important details. Brom had a point, Elven officers typically had a lot of bodyguards, and they all went into battle wearing red robes and a mask of an animal, that only they knew which one was which. In that sense, if they were stupid enough to sleep by the mountainside, causing a rockslide would probably be the quickest and most efficient method of killing them. However, few Elven Marshalls were ever stupid enough to do something like that after the plan was pulled by a different Orc Commando team roughly two years ago. That had crippled an Elven assault to the point of preventing them from doing anything. Another victory that got attributed to the 110th Orcada, as those Commandos were attached to them.

“We should probably keep our eye on them until they set up for the night,” Tommy noted. “Once they’ve set up, then we can determine our plan.”

“Makes sense to me,” Ambek replied. “Sooner they set up, longer time we have to recon their defenses.”

Brom nodded. “Remember, no heroics. There are only five of us. We’ll probably die in a straight-up battle. If the enemy becomes aware of our presence, fall back immediately,” he ordered.

The rest of the team nodded, understanding their orders. For the next hour, they trailed behind the Elven army, pausing to check the enemy’s numbers and kit every fifteen minutes. Eventually, the Elves stopped. A full ten Elves exited one of the carts, and the rest of the convoy halted. The Commando team grabbed their telescopes and looked over at these ten Elves. While the telescope did have a strong zoom, it was difficult to make out details, as if the ten were being blurred by something. What was noticeable was that five of them were decked out in extremely gaudy armor, with a gratuitous amount of jewelry on them. “Anybody want to take bets that the gaudy guys are the officers?” Ambek joked.

“No, no, man, it’s clearly the guys who are just wearing the boring armor,” Gualta answered, his voice deadpan.

Tommy just rolled his eyes behind his mask. Ambek and Gualta were always joking with each other. More than once they had a competition as to who could rack up more bodies in a day’s worth of engagements. Usually, Ambek won because he attacked faster, but Gualta tended to get more kills per attack with his explosives. The rest of the team allowed them to entertain their banter because they all needed something to take their minds off of the endless war that they all got sucked into.

“If you’ve had enough banter,” Brom stated. “We’ve got some more recon to do. Do you have a positive ID on who this officer is?”

“Besides the overly-gaudy armor?” Ambek asked. “Can’t make out any details. I think they may be using some kind of magic to obscure his face.”

“Oh joy, more magic,” Gualta stated. “Can’t those damn Elves try anything that doesn’t involve magic? Are they really that uncreative?”

“Patience Gualta,” Tommy interjected. “These Elves are just being clever again. We all know that Elves may be arrogant, but they’re not idiots. Now focus.”

Looking down the telescope that he had with him, Tommy noticed what details he could. The Elves did seem to be hiding their faces behind some sort of blurring magic. Tommy made a mental note to see if Argash had access to spells that can pierce the veil later. Other Elves were apparently piling out, meeting up with the unknown and gaudy commander. Best he could tell, there was some kind of discussion being had, or possibly an argument. The Elves that weren’t concealed behind the veil were rather pissed at something, judging by their rather wide arcs of motion with their arms. The commander, possibly a High Marshal, judging by his equipment and the fact that he had easy access to magic, seemed to be rather calm, though whatever blurred troops were nearby him were thinking, they obviously weren’t feeling the same way, as they seemed to be reaching for their “Skimmer” blades.

Tommy knew why the Elves utilized “Skimmer” blades. Mithril core for speed, Adamantine edges for penetration. Utilized to get past Orc’s adamantine armor, while still being only about as heavy as an average steel longsword. Despite their best efforts, none of the Orcish smiths could replicate this design, though in truth it was rarely needed. Most people couldn’t even begin to wear adamantine armor that weren’t Orcs, and those that could were very slow and clumsy, enough so that it was easy enough to push them over and they would be out of the fight. This had caused most of the “Noble” armies to recognize that speed is more vital than strength against the Orcs.

One of the grunt Elves pulled out his sword and tried to attack the officer, but the nearby bodyguards immediately drew their skimmer blades and sliced the Elf’s neck in one clean motion. The offending Elf fell to the ground, bleeding to death. Not one other Elf moved in to help him, not even with magic. “Such barbarians,” Brom noted. “They call us the monsters?”

Ambek spat at the ground. “Brutes, all of them,” he replied. “I can’t believe that they have the balls to call themselves the heroes in this war. I would’ve at least expected them to heal up the injury and tell him not to do it again.”

Argash chimed in with, “I can’t believe these guys. Go in right for a killing blow instantly? Whatever happened to simply restraining them until the battle arrived?”

Tommy simply continued his observation of the enemy. Near as he could tell, the commander was barking orders to the rest of the Elves. While Tommy couldn’t read his lips, nor was he very fluent in Elvish, he knew that the orders were probably along the lines of “If anybody else expresses this opinion, I’ll kill you as well.”

The rest of the Elves seemed to start unpacking, including some basic defense systems. Combat engineers were busy setting up what looked to be a small set of walls. All wooden, so they’re easy to take down. Tommy knew that these wooden walls were very vulnerable to firebombs, so they would be easy to burn down. The trick, however, was getting close enough to do it. They typically had sentries on the top of the towers that were constantly running some magic spells that allowed them to see through any illusion, and Elves had naturally sharp eyesight in low light. It wasn’t quite as good as Orcish sight, but it allowed them to see in color, unlike the Orcs.

The next few hours was observing the Elven defenses, taking down notes for a plan of attack. After four hours, they had formulated their plan. “Okay, so, Gualta, Ambek, you’ll go in to get rid of the sentries. Burn down the walls and arrow those that still survive,” Brom ordered. “Tommy, Argash, you’re with me. We’ll be hunting down the officer in charge and executing him. Remember, we may be the best the Orcs have to offer, but we’re still killable. If you run into too many opponents to fight, just run. No heroics, and especially no berserking. We need to get our intel back to the wall so that we can prepare a proper defense. What we’re doing here is secondary to the task of bringing back the intel. Don’t waste it.”

“Sir, yes sir,” they all chimed in.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 34
3/11/2011 11:15:09   
HK 47

When night fell, the team made their movement towards the camp. Each one of them wore their metal masks, depicting a mighty red dragon. These masks were both to preserve anonymity, and for intimidation purposes. While indeed, few Elves were ever scared by the masks, but most humans were afraid, which was the purpose. Most Orcs agreed that, while the Elves were pulling the strings, the humans were the ones that were more dangerous in a melee fight, were it not for their horrible morale.

Each member of the team slowly creeped forward, taking cover among the rocky outcroppings so that they aren’t terribly exposed to the sentries. Ambek and Gualta were taking point, as they needed to get rid of the primary defenses first. Tommy, Brom, and Argash were about twenty feet behind. They had timed their attack in order to hit them when they were changing shifts, as there was always a short delay between when the first sentry left and the next sentry arrived. A roughly five minute delay that allowed the team to enter via the blind spots.

Ambek and Gualta arrived at the walls, and Gualta started planting his firebomb explosives to act as a distraction once they started their attack. When doing these, he tended to use fuses that lasted about ten seconds before they actually went off, a short delay that would only just allow the other team to enter. Once he finished, they signaled towards the others. Gualta held up two fingers. Two minutes, the amount of time they had until the next sentry arrived. Brom, Tommy, and Argash ran towards the entrance, trying to be as careful as they could. Thanks to the fact that they were attacking at night, few Elves were actually awake. Those that were, quickly got an arrow from Ambek to silence them.

The team grabbed the bodies and disposed of them, right next to the firebombs so that they would burn away when the bombs were detonated. One minute left before the next team of sentries arrived. Brom’s team headed inside the base, trying to locate the officer’s tent, usually marked by some rather gaudy coloring, such as gilded threads. Tommy always was amused by the idiocy that came from blindly showing your officer’s tent by making it stand out so clearly. Thirty seconds left. Brom noticed the colored tent, just as gaudy as the officer’s armor. He motioned for the rest of the kill team to regroup at his location. Judging by the lighting, anybody in the tent was asleep, meaning that the job would be much easier.

Ten seconds. Gualta lit the fuse on the firebombs, and the kill team crept into the tent. The officer was there, sleeping with some clothes on, and no armor apparent. If he was sleeping with his armor under his clothes, it mattered not, as Brom motioned for the rest of the team to guard the tent. The firebombs went off, lighting the walls ablaze, and startling any Elves that were still awake. The officer awoke as well, but Brom cut off his head before he could react, and then motioned for the team to run, fast. Their cover was blown, so all they could do was bolt.

One of the Elves, probably a First Lieutenant, headed over to the officer’s tent, probably intending to wake the officer. When the Elf noticed the Orcs, he was starting to head the other way, before Tommy noticed him and tackled him with speed that belied his size. The Elf died from the sheer blunt impact that occurs when over two hundred pounds of meat and metal comes crashing into a body that wasn’t built for resisting pain very well. The Elf let out a cry of pain, and Brom’s team immediately ran from the tent to bolt. They had to charge right past some Elven soldiers, but they didn’t care, because they just had to get out immediately.

As they charged right back to where they came in, Ambek and Gualta were busy holding the position against the Elves, and apparently having another body count competition. Gualta tossed a lit stick of dynamite at the Elves, causing an explosion that kill roughly ten of them. “That makes twenty-five for me, Ambek,” he stated, completely unaware of the fact that he was fighting for his life, and if he was, he didn’t care.

Ambek shot another three arrows at the Elves, killing only two. “Thirty,” he responded. “And I think I might get another one with a bleed-out.”

“You know that only counts for half a kill in our competitions.”

“Still got more than you, wise guy.”

Brom charged straight past the line of Elves, ramming into a couple of them, with Tommy and Argash right behind him. “Enough with the killing!” Brom yelled. “We run, NOW!”

Ambek and Gualta nodded, put away their weapons, and started to charge away from the Elven camp. There had to be at least fifty Elves in hot pursuit, but thankfully no cavalry, perhaps because of the fire. The Elves were naturally fast, but they had to be more careful on the uneven terrain, because their bones were a lot more fragile. This allowed at least some speed advantage for the team, as they could afford to be a bit clumsier than the Elves.

Brom pulled out the communication crystal that he was awarded a while ago, and barked into it, “Troops, my team is headed straight towards the wall, Elves in hot pursuit…There’s about fifty of them, at least…no, no cavalry…just open the damn gate when we arrive!”

Tommy calculated how long it would take to arrive. It took them about six hours to find them, and about an hour for the Elves to stop for rest, so that meant that it would take them five hours of charging in order to reach the gate. Orcs had a strong level of endurance when it came to these things, but he knew that Elves weren’t quite as good at extended running competitions, so they would probably lose the Elves first.

He remembered his training when it came to this sort of stuff. He did have to go through a literally all-day and all-night jog for part of the training. He had to pace his breath, and take in deeper breaths than usual to make up for the excess oxygen that he was using up during this charge. He took a quick look at the rest of his team, and saw that they too were following through with this advice that they had undertaken before. He also knew that talking was a bad idea, as it would waste more breath than he would require for these extended dashes.

An arrow just barely missed his head, signaling that either the Elves were tiring out, or the cavalry started to join in on the battle. He didn’t bother to turn his head around to look, because either way, he needed to run his fastest to lose them. Cavalry would be a bit more of a problem though, considering the speeds that the horses could go was a bit faster than how fast an Orc could run in full gear.

Gualta lit a stick of dynamite and tossed it over his shoulder. If he was trying to hit some with it, or just distract the enemy, Tommy didn’t know and didn’t care, long as it did its job. He heard the explosion behind him, and the sound of a horse neighing, and the crash of a body into the rocks confirmed that it was cavalry that joined in the charge. “That makes twenty seven,” he stated. “Cavalry count as two.”

“Shut up and keep running!” Brom barked.

“Why don’t we just cut through the mountains?” Tommy asked. “Try to lose them! Dragons could help us out as well!”

Brom didn’t reply for fifteen seconds, as if rolling it over in his head. “That makes sense!” he replied. “Alright, to the mountains!”

The team immediately changed direction, charging straight for the mountains as opposed to running around them. Tommy caught the Elves in the corner of his eye, and they seemed confused more than anything else. When the team reached the mountain’s cliff, they grabbed onto what they could and started climbing. Arrows and spells shot at them, most of them only barely missing. The others were further off. “This is crazy!” Argash yelled. “Why did we do this again?!”

“Shut up and keep climbing!” Tommy barked, echoing Brom’s words. Orcs were naturally good climbers, so they were already pretty far up the mountainside. “Gualta, try collapsing the mountainside on our pursuers when we reach the top!”

“Brom, what’s your call?” Gualta asked, following protocol.

“Do as Tommy says! If nothing else, it’ll act as a deterrent!” Brom yelled.

The team continued their frantic scramble up the mountainside for about fifteen more seconds before they reached a solid cliff hold. Immediately, Gualta grabbed his explosives and starting placing charges. “Would you like a large, or small crater sir?”

“Whatever gets rid of those Elves!”

Gualta nodded, and set about fifteen dynamite sticks, and lit them all. “Here comes the boom!” he yelled, and about two seconds afterwards, the dynamite started going off, causing rock to loosen and fall down the mountainside. These rocks hit other rocks, and caused them to fall down as well. There were multiple Elven screams as the rocks hit the ground, and the team slowly looked over the cliff to see the carnage. Lots of blood, some limbs showing up from under the rocks, and not one survivor. “That makes seventy nine.”

“Are you guys still focusing on that body count competition?” Tommy asked.

“Don’t mind us, we’re just amusing ourselves,” Ambek replied. “Looks like you win this one.”

Gualta nodded, grinning beneath his mask. “Excellent! Now, let’s get back to the wall and deliver this intel, shall we?”

Brom nodded, and looked over to Tommy. “Your fore-planning saved us the trouble of killing a lot of Elves. I’ll pass your actions along to the brass.”

Tommy nodded, and gave off his salute. “Sir, yes sir!” he replied.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 35
3/11/2011 15:46:21   
HK 47

Evgeny Dostovernov was like all the other Elves when he joined the army. Young (well, relatively, he was still about 150), idealistic, and all too willing to buy into the propaganda. He followed very order without hesitation, and was unquestionably loyal. He had passed the tests with flying colors, and was inserted into the front-line infantry, armed with basic steel swords and Mithril armor. He was on his first deployment, heading to reinforce the front lines. Like most Elves, he preferred riding in wagons, to conserve his strength for when he reached the front lines, a practice that often times got his kind ridiculed by their human allies, mostly because it would leave them vulnerable if they got ambushed.

Evgeny never paid attention to the human’s cries though, as they were inferior, as is every other non-Elf. No other being lasts nearly as long as an Elf, and as such, Elves had a long time to master everything. Most of the eldest Elves had enough practice to be masters of their art, be it war, sorcery, artistry, smithing, or anything of the like. Many humans sought apprenticeship with the Elves, but they were typically laughed off because they couldn’t last nearly long enough to master it.

Evgeny was resting in his cart, along with five others. Ten Elves per cart, plus any supplies they carried. They tended to be extremely cramped as a result. He felt someone shake his body, and he woke up. His Sergeant, Sasha Shcherbakov, stated, “Wake up rook. We’re nearing the battlefield.”

Evgeny snapped back to attention. “Sir, understood, sir!” he replied.

“I heard that you were very willing to buy into the propaganda,” Sasha noted. “That’s going to get you killed out here.”

Evgeny tilted his head about 45 degrees to the right. “Sir?”

“I’ve fought countless times against the Orcs. It never fails to amaze me just how clever they really are. The propaganda will get you killed, trust me.” Sasha looked over at the rest of his team, also comprised of rookies. “Same goes for the rest of you.”

The Elves nodded in unison. Sasha decided to take this moment to check his gear. Like many Elves in the NCO chain of command, he was issued a “skimmer” blade. Only the finest for the leaders of the Elves, he would muse.

As Evgeny looked out of the cart, he saw what looked like his allies’ garrison. What he saw was horrifying. Broken and injured bodies spread all around the camp, many of them critically injured. The clerics and priests were doing what they could to keep the injuries healed up with magic, but by the time they saved one, another had bled out. The non-spellcasting medics were busy patching up who they could, but it was rarely as effective as spells. Evgeny saw horrific injuries. Many humans were without limbs such as arms, and he even saw two that had lost their heads, literally.

Evgeny looked back at Sasha. “Sir,” he began.

Sasha looked up at Evgeny. “What is it, rook?” he asked.

“What’s with these humans? They…”

“They have served as our front-line infantry, and have suffered heavy losses because of it. Not because they are an inferior race, but because of the fact that the Orcs are far deadlier in melee than anything I’ve ever seen. One Orc is worth ten humans in melee. What’s worse is if they berserk. When that happens, your only option is to run, for a berserking Orc is damn near unstoppable on the battlefield. I’ve seen entire ranks of humans break formation and run for it because one Orc went berserk. Do not underestimate our enemy, for they will kill all of us if one of us falters.”

Evgeny nodded, slowly. He was having a hard time taking in the fact that the Orcs weren’t quite as weak as the propaganda made them out to be, but he was still believing that he would triumph in the end. After all, despite nine thousand years of war, the Orcs had yet to triumph in their crusade of slaughter. That alone was proof enough for Evgeny that the Orcs weren’t as bad as Sasha was making them out to be.

He turned his head back to the human camp, and saw one of their officers, a “Lieutenant”, by the looks of things, walk forward. Sasha and the rest of his team exited the wagon, so Evgeny did too. Sasha approached the Lieutenant, saying, “We heard that you required reinforcements, so here we are.”

The Lieutenant stared at Sasha, coldly. “Took you guys long enough,” he replied. “I’ve already lost a quarter of my fighting force in the time it took you to actually reach here. You have a nice rest on your way? Grabbed yourself a nice cup of tea as well?”

Sasha grunted. “If you were more competent, this would not have happened,” he answered, which was Elvish for “You suck, and you already proved it”.

“Bah, I’d like to see you guys hold the line against this Orc horde. I have done what I can, but they have proven themselves hard to kill.” The Lieutenant turned his back and walked a few steps forward, stating, “I hope that your recruits will be skillful enough to help hold the line against these brutes. If not, then I am going to be very disappointed. Your kind are supposed to be the heroes, so prove it.”

Sasha nodded. “I’ll take that under advisement. What do you have left?”

The Lieutenant motioned towards his forces. Roughly three-quarters of a battalion’s worth of human soldiers. The rest were either dead or dying. Many of the humans had a scared look on their faces, some others stood in awe of the Elves. One of them seemed to have a confused look on his face, as if to say, “I thought they’d be taller”.

Evgeny’s company’s commanding officer, a female Elven first Captain named Klementina Akimov, stepped forward. She was about as hard as they come, despite her gender. She was armed with a bow and arrow, a spellbook, and a skimmer sword. Her figure and face was obscured as she exited, simply because she had exited wearing her red robe and mask. Her mask depicted a simple horse, where as the rest of her retinue, her bodyguards, wore the same red robe, with different masks to tell them apart. Only they knew which mask was which, but Evgeny learned that the one with the horse was their captain.

“If you two are done arguing,” Klementina stated. “We’ve got work to do. It appears that the defenses here are poorly constructed, at best. I’m amazed that you managed to hold out for as long as you did against these Orcs.”

Klementina always did have a gruff voice, which caused many recruits to jokingly refer to her as “a man in a woman’s body”, though they never dared to say such things with her in earshot, because that tended to end up with the offending idiot getting a fireball to the face. Evgeny just followed orders, as he was taught to do.

“So then what do you suggest?” the Lieutenant asked, clearly annoyed. “We haven’t had proper time to set up good defenses, given that the Orcs’ next attack is due soon.”

Klementina looked the Lieutenant in the eye, and said, “Don’t worry; we’ll get this place properly set up soon enough. Just leave the defenses to us; you tend to your wounded.”

The Lieutenant bowed. “Of course, madam. I shall rally my troops to do what we can for the next wave,” he replied, walking off to get to his troops.

Sasha walked up to Klementina and asked, “Pray tell, what’s so wrong with their defenses? It seems solid enough?”

Klementina looked straight at Sasha, and even though her face was hidden behind her mask, Evgeny thought that it was saying something along the lines of “you’re an idiot”. Klementina answered with, “It’s simple: The defenses are being manned by humans. We should be the ones manning their defenses; it’s obvious that they’re failing in the line of duty.”

Sasha nodded. “Understood ma’am,” he answered, looking over at his recruits. “What should the rooks do?”

“Put them on sentry duty. They could use the target practice.” Klementina walked over to Evgeny, who immediately straightened up unconsciously. “This one is to be put on front-line duty. I’m sure he’ll prove useful to help those humans out.”

Evgeny gave off a crisp salute, and started walking off to join the humans at the gates. What he saw there was outstanding. Each human was armed with steel and iron weapons, and armored in steel armor, yet only a few were armored from head to toe. Most lacked protection for the arms, but not a single one went without a helmet. A fact that Evgeny noted was missing from the Elven officers and NCOs. He filed it away under their natural speed allowing them to dodge any attack that the Orcs would make against their heads. But the battle to be had would shatter his perception of the war forever.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 36
5/13/2011 12:05:17   
HK 47

Evgeny stood by the walls, next to the humans, for what felt like an hour or two, before a brass horn was sounded. Evgeny knew what that was code for. Cries ran about the camp. “ORCS ARE COMING! GET TO YOUR POSITIONS!” the soldiers yelled, running off to man whatever positions they could.

Evgeny looked over at the other troops defending the way out, and all of them seemed either unnerved, praying to whatever non-existent God they believed in, or just stared forward. Evgeny pitied the humans, for having to rely on faith in some non-existent being to keep them together. When Evgeny returned his gaze forward, one of the humans nearby stated, “Hey, Elf. You think that we’ll make it through this battle?”

Evgeny nodded. “Of course,” he replied. “You have the aid of the Elves now, the Orcs stand no chance.”

“I hope you can back up such bold words,” the man replied, staring back to the path ahead and drawing his sword. “Because I sure as hell think we’re in for a rough battle.”

There was a sound of drums beating coming from up ahead. Evgeny could not make out where exactly it was coming from. A brutal, tribal banging, perhaps intended to scare them. Over the horizon, Evgeny could see the Orcs coming. Contrary to what the propaganda told him, the Orcs were marching in a uniform formation, slowly approaching their lines. Evgeny, at first, mistook them for humans, given their uniform patterns and the formation. But his sharp eyes managed to prove him wrong, as he saw the green that made up Orcish skin from the exposed parts of the Orc’s skin.

Every one of the Orcs were marching decked out from head to toe in a full suit of armor, more than what he could say for the humans fighting alongside him. The drums of war were beating, and he could see that some of the humans were unnerved by what they saw. He heard an order being barked from Klementina, “Archers! Shoot them down!”

A salvo of arrows fired off from behind him, and attacked the Orcs. Several arrows hit home, some snapping when they hit the Orcish armor, but those that did penetrate seemed to be ignored. The Orcs continued their slow march towards their lines. Those that were killed were simply stepped over, forgotten. Another salvo of arrows and only a few more Orcs fell. Some of the humans were horrified by what they saw. “By God…what is going on? Those Orcs are just ignoring the pain!” one yelled.

“Focus!” a Sergeant ordered. “We’ll show these Orcs the true might of our armies!”

The soldier got his act together, and stood back at attention, his shield and his axe held forward. This salvo was shown with fireballs raining down upon the Orcish lines. Once again, the Orcs seemed to ignore any casualties, or any non-fatal wounds, and continued their march forward. This time, Evgeny saw two human troops break formation and run for it, one of them yelling, “Screw this! I’ve got a family to take care of!”

Two arrows were shot at the humans that ran, killing them quickly. “You will stand your lines!” Klementina yelled. “Or you will die like those two!”

This snapped the rest of the soldiers back to attention, observing the Orcish lines as they marched forward, continuing to ignore casualties. This pattern of salvo, ignoring casualties, and marching forward started to unnerve Evgeny. Not enough that he would think about running, but he was surprised at the mental focus of his enemy. When the Orcs were roughly two hundred meters from their location, a cry went out. Evgeny couldn’t understand Orcish, so all he heard was, “ERAGH!”

Quickly, the Orcish lines suddenly lost cohesion, and charged as a massive mob, and less as a formation. The drums started to beat louder and faster, and was now accompanied by war trumpets. Were it not for the fact that he was busy focusing on the Orcish charge, Evgeny would’ve found the music surprisingly interesting, if not slightly invigorating. And then, the Orcs reached their lines, slamming into their troops like a ton of bricks. Evgeny did what he could to dodge the Orcish battle axes and other weapons, but the humans were much slower and less agile, and suffered severe damage as a result.

Evgeny stayed in formation as best as he could, stabbing at the Orcs right at the front line with his sword, yet all for not, as the Orc’s armor was far too resilient to his weapons. Evgeny tried to stab at the weak points such as the joints, but the Orc was surprisingly fast for his size and parried the blow. The helmet was not full, showcasing the Orc’s snarling, ugly face. Evgeny would’ve thought about stabbing there, but the Orc was constantly moving his head about, making a clear attack there an impossibility. The Orc snarled, and spoke in perfect Common, “You must be new. You should’ve stayed in the back, Elf. You’re going to die, and that’s all there is to it!”

The Orc raised his battleaxe high, clearly going for a downward chop, but before he could deliver the blow, an arrow shot out and hit the Orc clear in the face. Evgeny took a look back, and saw Sasha with a bow. “You really shouldn’t be looking at me right now, rook!” Sasha barked. “More Orcs, right behind you!”

Evgeny turned around and ducked immediately, just barely avoiding a second axe swing. This Orc was clearly armored up with his head enclosed, so it wouldn’t be so easy to go for the face, if at all. Evgeny parried the next blow as best as he could, and then went at the knees with his sword, only barely managing to hit it in time.

The Orc fell to one knee, but roared and brought his axe in an upward swing as a final act of defiance. Evgeny quickly stepped to one side to avoid the blow, and stabbed right at the Orc’s eye slit for his helmet, landing a perfect hit. Evgeny tried to pull his blade out of the Orc’s head, but it was stuck, so he had to grab the Orc’s axe, which felt surprisingly heavy to him.

Evgeny twirled the axe around a bit, trying to get a feel for it, but barely had any time before more Orcs slammed into the wall. Battle cries were going all around, roars from the Orcs and screams of defiance from the humans and Elves. But no matter how many Orcs were slain, another two stepped forth to take their place, and there was simply no way to hold back the tide.

Eventually, the Orcs suddenly broke off. They jumped back and disengaged from the battle, stepping back. Five Orcs stepped forth, wearing little beyond leather armor. Their axes had carvings into them, and they appeared to have been stained with blood. Evgeny couldn’t help but get a bad feeling looking at them, and whispered to the human next to him, “What are those beasts doing?”

The human was quaking in his boots, and answered, “Those are Blood Knights. Fiercest Orcs you’ll ever see. Don’t ever try to fight them one-on-one, you’re guaranteed to lose. We lost twenty of our greatest champions that way.”

The lead Blood Knight, characterized by his complete lack of armor of any sort, as well as his long cape, bellowed out in surprisingly good Common, “Those who are brave enough to meet us in battle, step forth! If none will stand against us, we shall fight you all at once!” The Orc’s tone was a very challenging one, as if daring for his opponents to face him.

Klementina Akimov decided to step forth, and cried out, “You will find not one of us wanting in the line of duty, Orc filth! Our champions will defeat your kind, as we always have!”

The lead Orc simply laughed a hearty laugh. “If there’s one thing I like about you Elves, it’s that you’re always willing to rise to the challenge! Bring forth your mightiest champion then! I look forward to adding his head to my…collection…” he answered, moving back his cape to show that he had many pockets with severed Elven heads in them.

This really startled Evgeny. “They…those brutes collect heads?!” he cried out.

“Told ya kid, these Orcs ain’t anything like the propaganda,” Sasha answered, appearing right next to him. “And if anyone’s stupid enough to meet that Orc’s challenge, he’s going to be dead meat. No way they can survive, Blood Knights are the best the Orcs have to offer.”

“I will face you down, Orc filth!” an Elf cried out. Everyone turned to face the man who issued the challenge. It was Polina Timofeev, an old friend of Evgeny’s back in the academy. She was as skilled a swordswoman as they came, even managing to outdo the teachers at times.

“If anybody could win, it has to be her,” Evgeny muttered.

“She’s dead,” Sasha stated, almost completely deadpan, but there was a minor hint of concern for her.

“AHAHAHAHAHA!” the Orc laughed, “Another challenger! Very well then, step forth! I await our duel.”

Polina stepped out from the ranks, marching up to the lead Blood Knight. She had cut her hair to a short length, in order to make it harder for her opponents to simply grab her hair to hold her down. The size difference between the two was incredible. The Orc was nearly twice the height of Polina, wielding an axe nearly as big as she was. Polina was wearing chainmail, where as the Orc wore only clothes and a cape. It looked so incredibly mis-matched that Evgeny was having second thoughts about this setup.

“What’re her odds?” Evgeny decided to ask Sasha.

“Winning? It’s pretty much impossible, with her equipment. Surviving? I’d put that at around one in a billion. If she does well and entertains the Orc…even worse,” Sasha answered. “Blood Knights love combat. So much that they’ll battle whoever they can fight. I’ve even heard that they’ll fight other Orcs if there isn’t another opponent nearby. She’s in a bad situation right now…”

Evgeny could only nod, letting the reality of the situation sink in. He was still in shock that the Orcs were actually brutal adversaries as opposed to complete morons like the propaganda said. And now hearing that there were even fiercer Orcs…he could only stand by and watch.

Polina drew her longsword, and took her defensive stance. The Orc simply chuckled and held his axe in a stance that obviously didn’t have defense in mind. One of the other Blood Knights started talking to each other in Orcish, probably taking bets. One of the non-Blood Knights, what looked like an “officer”, judging by his relatively high-quality armor, stepped forth. “When I swing my sword down,” he said, “The match is to begin. In accordance with Blood Knight dueling rites, no holds are barred. The battle with continue until one of you two are dead. No holding back. Give it your all.”

Polina simply grunted. “I will show you a true Elf’s swordsmanship, Orc filth,” she threatened.

“And I will show you how powerful an Orc can truly be,” the Blood Knight answered. “So take some notes.”

The Orc officer drew his sword and held it high over his head. “3…” Both duelists looked each other in the eyes, as if trying to psyche the other out. “2…”

“Is this really wise?” Evgeny questioned.

“No, of course not,” Sasha answered. “But nothing we can do to save her now.”

“1…” the Orc stated.

“Any last words?” the Blood Knight asked.

“Funny,” Polina replied, “I was going to ask you the same thing.”

“Then this will be a fun battle.”

The Orc officer swung his blade down, indicating the match has begun. The Blood Knight took the first move, giving out a loud warcry and swung his axe down towards Polina, who only barely managed to dodge the attack. She tried to counter with a stab, but the Blood Knight quickly recovered and stepped to the side, the attack missing completely. He then simply kneed her, causing her to stumble backwards from the sheer force of the attack. She managed to regain her balance just in time for the Blood Knight’s next attack. The Blood Knight charged right at her, holding his axe above his right shoulder with both hands.

“He’s going for the very obvious moves…” Evgeny noted.

“That’s ‘cause Blood Knights will intentionally drag out a fight if they think it won’t last long,” Sasha answered. “All they care about is having a good fight.”

Polina stepped to the side, the axe swing missing completely, allowing her to make a clear counter-attack. She stepped behind the Blood Knight as quickly as possible and cut straight at his back, a large gash and a spray of blood showing that the blow connected. Polina quickly jumped back as the Blood Knight stood up and turned around. “First blood goes to you,” he stated, matter-of-factly. “But I will have last blood!”

The Blood Knight charged forward, Polina thinking that he was going to go for the same move again. However, he stopped short, and went for a sweeping kick. Polina managed to jump over it, but the Blood Knight spun in place and booted her while she was still in the air, causing her to lose aerial control and slam into the ground ass-first. “Didn’t see that one coming,” Polina admitted. “Not bad.”

The Blood Knight simply smirked and helped her up. “Here’s a tip,” he said. “You need to think at least three moves ahead of your opponent. That’s going to get you far in battle, if you survive this one.”

Polina nodded. “I’ll take that under advisement,” she said, which to an Elf would translate to “Don’t care what you have to say.”

The Blood Knight stepped back, taking up his stance again. Polina readied her blade again, hoping to take the Blood Knight by surprise this time. She launched the offense this time, showing some flourishes that she had learned in the academy in an effort to find weak points in the Blood Knight’s defense. The Blood Knight blocked and parried as many blows as he could, but two of them managed to get through, cutting at his gut and his chest. He only put on a very toothy grin. “Keep it up!” he cried. “You’re doing great!”

“Ooooh this is bad…” Sasha noted. “He’s having fun…”

“And this means…what, exactly?” Evgeny asked.

“Means that he won’t be holding back much longer…”

The Blood Knight decided to make his move, first opening up with a fist to the face, which Polina ducked under, and then swinging his axe on a downward arc, connecting right at her back. Her chainmail didn’t manage to hold against the sheer force of the axe blow, causing it to land straight in her body at the spine. “But your luck has run out,” the Blood Knight commented. “I said that I would have Last Blood.”

Polina’s body became paralyzed as the nerves in her spine were severed. She crumpled to the ground, unable to move. She started breathing heavily, barely able to keep herself together. “H-How can I lose…to a beast…like you?” she asked.

“Simple,” the Blood Knight answered. “You’re too arrogant. That has done in far too many of my opponents for my liking. Also, thanks for distracting your army.”

“W-Wha?!” Polina cried.

It was only then that Evgeny could hear it. Cries of humans and Elves being mutilated, coming from right behind them. He smelled fire. Evgeny whirled around, and saw about ten Orcs with dragon masks, having just finished torching the supplies. “Hostiles!” Evgeny cried out, pointing right towards the ten Orcs.

One of the Orcs turned his gaze towards Evgeny, gave a bow, and said, “Ladies and gentlemen, you’ve just been had! Let’s see how well you do without your supplies, fools!”

Soldiers charged to fight the Orcs, but they simply ran away from the battle. The Human Lieutenant decided to say, in his most deadpan tone of voice yet, “Well, that was lovely. We just got all of our supplies torched because were stupid enough to watch a duel. Remind me again why the Elves are supposed to be the heroes?”

The Blood Knight laughed. “Fools!” he cried. “You have underestimated the might of the 65th Orcada! Tomorrow, we shall launch our final assault! Be prepared, for not one of you will be spared!”

Klementina simply locked up, paralyzed with this sudden development. The Orcs roared in laughter as they all marched off the field of battle, the Blood Knight having claimed the head of Polina and added it into his collection within his cape.
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 37
5/28/2011 21:10:15   
HK 47

The night after the battle, Evgeny was busy checking in on what supplies were not burned to the ground. His findings weren’t good. When Klementina came up, she asked, “You, rook. How’s the supply situation?”

Evgeny shook his head. “Worse than I expected,” he replied. “We’re almost completely out of arrows now, and we’ve lost a good 95% of our magic scrolls. The books fared slightly better at a 90% loss rate. Even still, we’re almost out of supplies from our first day of battle against these beasts.”

Klementina nodded, very unnerved. “I had never expected the Orcs to be like this…I honestly don’t know what to do…”

The human Lieutenant walked up and answered, “Ain’t it obvious? We hit ‘em on their home turf! All or nothing!”

Klementina shook her head. “How many Orcs have we killed thus far?” she asked with a bit hint of concern in her tone.

The Lieutenant looked to the right, which was apparently a sign that he was trying to remember something. “Before you came here, we must’ve killed about 200 Orcs. When you arrived, we’ve killed about another 250 of them, so that makes about 450 kills. Is that bad?”

“Yes. Very bad,” Klementina said, a look of shock and horror on her face. “If this is a full Orcada we’re dealing with, we’re dead men walking. A full Orcada is 10,000 Orcs, not counting any attached units such as Commandos. And we know that there are attached Commandos now, as well as Blood Knights. We’re dead, we are so dead!”

The Lieutenant slapped Klementina hard enough for her to hit the ground. “Get your **** together! We can’t just give up! There are so many civilians out there that are going to die unless we can stop this Orcada!”

Klementina looked like she was having a complete mental breakdown. Evgeny noticed that Sasha was nearby, helping to tally inventory. He simply decided to ask Sasha, “Hey, what’s with Klementina?”

Sasha’s answer was something that Evgeny was expecting. “You know that Elves aren’t good at adapting to change. When you have the burden of leadership and stuff like this happens, most Elves panic. A good leader doesn’t panic, but those are few and far between. Most of us just freak out.”

Klementina was just babbling in fear. “I…there’s no way to win this…we’re all dead…we have to evacuate!”

The Lieutenant shook his head. “The Orcs are going to come marching in here when daylight breaks! If we hit ‘em while they’re sleeping, we may be able to do some actual damage!” he argued, very angry.

“Don’t you know?! Ambush or not, the Orcs are going to kill us all! They outnumber us several times over! We’re just going to die if we assault them!”

“I think the Elven girl has it right,” someone said. His voice was very deep and gravely, yet somehow familiar.

Everyone turned to look at the source of the voice, and just as Evgeny expected, it was the Orcish soldiers from before. Everyone pulled out their weapons and dropped into a defensive stance. Evgeny was the first to demand, “What are you doing here, Orc?!”

The Orc simply raised his hands to about chest-level, and stated, “Calm down. We’re here to negotiate.”

Klementina’s mouth dropped. “You? Parley? With us?” she asked, completely dumbfounded.

The Orc chuckled. “Yes, how very surprising for one such as yourself,” he stated, clapping his hands together at a slow pace. “Yes, we’re here to parley with you. Surely you must realize that you don’t stand a chance at victory now, yes?”

The Lieutenant spat on the ground, his gaze lowering. “And what makes you think that we’ll just surrender to you, Orc?” he growled.

“Because there’s several thousand of us, and only a few hundred of you left?” the Orc asked, in an almost mocking tone. “Seriously, what, were you going to attack us at night? Orcs have good low-light vision and senses of smell. You wouldn’t have been able to catch us off-guard. We’re not going to demand anything unreasonable.”

“I’ll be the judge of that.”

“Of course, of course.” The Orc sat down, removing his axe from his back and laying it on the ground. “Now then, here’s all that we demand: A share of your village’s harvest. Surely you’ve heard the stories about the Orcish homeland, yes?”

That barbaric wasteland…no army has ever succeeded in conquering it…Evgeny thought, remembering all of the stories about the wasteland. How could any army last even half a year there?

“Yeah, I’ve heard of it,” the Lieutenant said. “Supposed to be inhospitable, right?”

The Orc nodded. “Indeed so,” he replied, stretching his back. “Because of that, it’s very difficult for my people to live. Due to the requirements of this brutal war, we wound up having to give up most of our civilian luxuries. Truthfully, Orcs don’t remember how to farm. The details of such an art can be gleamed from the few tomes that we have, but we lack the skill, or the time, or the resources, to actually go through with farming. We use up all of our metal on war machines, armor, and weapons. As such, food supplies are always limited for us.

“Surely you can see now? A share of your village’s harvest would work very well for helping out my people with their survival. We cannot last without these sorts of things.”

“And why should we give you this food? What is to stop you from assaulting my people anyway and taking more?”

The Orc shook his head. “I suppose you’re right. I cannot prove to you that my people will abstain from assaulting you. All I can give you is my good will, as much as that is. But perhaps there is something else that you can ask for in return?”

The Lieutenant tapped his chin, thinking things over. “Well, I’ll be honest here,” he said. “I was honestly astonished by the ferocity your warriors displayed. Perhaps you can give us some tips and tricks so that we are better prepared for a later assault?”

The Orc nodded. “I see little problem with that. It would certainly help out with keeping the Blood Knights bloodthirst down. Though I cannot give a guarantee that this training will work out all the time. No two Orcadas fight in the same manner.”

“Mind explaining why?”

“Simple. In order to best exploit the Elven weakness of their inability to adapt, our officers are only taught rudimentary tactics and strategies. They are expected to find their own. Because of this, army composition and fighting style vary widely. There is no standard Orcish army. Ergo, what we teach you may work for some Orcadas, but not others.”

The Lieutenant nodded slowly, an inquisitive look on his face. “Why are you telling me all of this?”

The Orc chuckled. “Truthfully, I fear what happens if this war ever ends. My people have devoted themselves so fully to the art of combat for thousands of years, that, should we ever end the war, I worry that my people will devolve into barbarism. At least now, we are united. I worry especially for the Blood Knights, who are so involved in warfare that the prospect of peace is inconceivable to them. They want a war without end. And truthfully, I enjoy this war as well.”

Evgeny was utterly shocked at the prospect of the Orcs actually enjoying combat. To think that these barbarians would actually want to have a war without end was something that he couldn’t quite understand. “W-Why would you enjoy an endless war? Bloodshed and death for all eternity?” Evgeny asked, a horrified tone in his voice.

“Isn’t that what we’ve had for the last 9000 years?” the Orc asked, shifting his gaze to Evgeny. “Bloodshed and death for an eternity. Peace is such a foreign concept to us Orcs now. We all want it, but none of us know what it would be like. Many of us are frightened at the prospect. Some more than others.” The Orc shifted his seat a bit, and reached for his mask, pulling it off. His face was scarred all over, the glow of the campfires showing his natural green skin. “I devoted myself so fully unto war by joining the Commandos. I joined, knowing that peace was an impossibility. At least now, there is stability. Many die daily, but at the same time, everyone knows the cycle. Everyone knows their place in this war. We know what will happen, as it has happened for thousands of years.

“Perhaps one day, you will understand this, young Elf. In understanding this, you can survive longer. The prospect of peace, the idealistic view of the war finally ending, it simply cannot happen. If it could have, it would have many years ago. By not understanding this, you only condemn yourself. Do not give up on survival, but by clinging to the idea that the war can end, it is a weakness that you must shed yourself from.”

Evgeny shook his head. Is that really true? Is this war…9000 years it’s existed, and neither side has ever come close to victory…Is this really how it’s going to be? War without end? I didn’t sign up for this…I didn’t sign up for endless slaughter…I joined because…because I thought that I could help win this war…that it would be possible for victory…I suppose I was only kidding myself…I should’ve seen it…For an Elf, 9000 years may not be as long as other races, but it is still a long time…countless generations of Orcs and Elves have gone to war, heading into the meat grinder…to think…that this is all for naught… A single tear formed at Evgeny’s right eye, rolling down his face.

The Lieutenant nodded. “At any rate, I guess the demands aren’t unreasonable after all. We’ll work out how much of a share you get, as well as how long the training will last for,” he stated, dropping into a more official voice. “After that, I want you all to leave.”

The Orc nodded, standing back up. “Of course,” he replied, reaching for his axe. After slinging it over his back, the Orc bowed. “I’ll send for some Orcish negotiators soon. I must report back to the camp.”

The Orcs then exited the camp as silently as they came. Silence fell over the camp, only the crackling of the campfire breaking the quiet. About five minutes later, Sasha was the first one to break the silence by stating, “Well, I suppose this wasn’t a total loss then.”

The Lieutenant nodded. “I suspect that we can benefit quite nicely from this,” he answered, stretching his back. “But we should probably be fair to the Orcs, lest the cut us down anyway.”

Klementina breathed a sigh of relief. “Yes, I suppose that this would help us out quite a bit,” she said, reaching for her dagger. “Don’t screw this up on us.”

The Lieutenant saluted. “Yes ma’am!” he answered, heading off to plan something.

Evgeny was still lost in thought. How…how can this war end, if countless people before us have failed? Is this war…is it truly hopeless? …I don’t even want to think about that…
AQ DF MQ AQW  Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> RE: The Orc Knight, book 2
Page 2 of 2<12
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition