Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 38 - Editors Note (smbdoll / Alac)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 38 - Editors Note (smbdoll / Alac)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1/18/2009 14:35:40   
smbdoll

Hello again readers! It's wonderful to be publishing the first Zardian issue of 2009. Last year was full of amazing issues. I'd like to congratulate the entire team on the job they did and I look forward to seeing what they come up with this year. Hopefully this year will be even better, funnier and more random than ever. I feel that's the case with this issue, which is brimming over with articles that set a new standard for The Zardian.

We've had a bit of a luxury problem, with more articles submitted for publishing than could possibly fit in this issue! While I would have loved to include every article, we had to decide which ones would be left behind. The choices were not easy and I regret having to leave out the articles we did decide against. They were all worth reading and I wish I could decide how to present them to you.

That's something you readers can help me with. How do we present these extra articles to you? Do we save them for a later issue, just in case something comes up where our authors can't submit articles on time? Or do we make a special extra issue? Let us know what you want! You know what that means. Once again we're begging you to visit us in our feedback forums and leave us your opinions. We want to hear from you, we need to hear from you. You are the only ones that can tell us what you like and what you want to see more of.

We saw a lot come and go last year and the future will also bring new challenges and changes. Unfortunately, sometimes change also means saying farewell. As many of you know, Alac resigned from the ezine to focus on other aspects of life last issue. We will miss her and wish her the best of luck in the future as she concentrates on other aspects of Artix Entertainment.

Another farewell for this issue is personal. Maegwyn's mother in law passed away this week and Maegwyn has been preoccupied with being strong for her family. It's uncertain how long she'll need before returning to The Zardian, but our thoughts are with her. It's never easy to say farewell and we'll all be here for Maegwyn if she needs a shoulder to cry on, someone to listen to her, or even someone to yell at.

This issue has been a challenge to produce without the support I'm used to from Maegwyn and Alac. Maegwyn often serves as my right hand (and the right side of my brain. Honestly, conversations with her get creepy with how often we have the same idea at the same time!) Yet her family needs are more important. The Zardian will have to struggle on until she comes back. Yes, it is a struggle, but we are making do. It's taking the efforts of nearly the entire team though. Maegwyn is an indispensable member of AE with her fingers in nearly every project. We'll keep things afloat for now, but please hurry back Mae! We need you! Alac, you've been great in helping transfer the reigns. You made the transition so simple for me and taught me what I most needed to know before I even had to ask. You set up a system for the Zardian that works flawlessly, a team that functions seamlessly and a standard for quality that will be difficult to uphold, but the challenge will be worth the effort. I only hope I can fill the shoes you left behind. Thankyou for trusting The Zardian to me. I hope I don't let you or the rest of the readers down.

In closing, I'd like to bring you a letter from Alac. This could be the last we see written from her for a long time.

---

Dear Readers,

I began working on The Zardian as an editor in May of 2007, and assumed the Editor-in-Chief position a few months after that. I stayed in that position for a bit over a year. In the year and a half I worked on AE's ezine, I made many memories (and laid out not a few issues of the ezine). I want to thank the artists, editors, primary authors, secondary authors, and definitely the Authors in Training for all the work they did while I led our team. We made some wonderful, funny, and interesting issues; that was our goal and we not only achieved it, we surpassed it. I'd also like very much to thank you, the readers. You're the reason we make The Zardian, and the feedback I've gotten from you both in private, on IRC, or in The Zardian discussion board has been helpful and encouraging.
I will definitely miss the fun I had working on The Zardian, but I know that the team will continue to produce wonderful issues that I look forward to reading. The one bit of advice I will offer is: be sure to feed the gecko. When she gets hungry, she tends to chomp Editor's Notes.

Again, thank you to everyone!
AQ  Post #: 1
1/19/2009 16:55:57   
general greivous

Mae, sorry for your loss, I know how hard it can be...

Alac, don't simply disappear! Show up on IRC! You did a great work here.

Smb, you doing a great job, I loved this issue. As for the extra articles, can always save them for latter, so we can always have a packed zine ^^
AQ  Post #: 2
1/19/2009 17:41:59   
mastin2

I have a possible solution: Treat the Zardian a little more like a newspaper. Newspapers expand. They get larger with time. Have a 'front page', containing, well, something like the current pages of the Zardian, perhaps containing sneak-peaks of articles. Have 'sections', each with a group of articles--essentially, a page. For example, take the main page of this article. Maya and Twig talking, with links to all articles. Perhaps instead of links to articles, it links to pages, and contains a preview of some material in those pages. Each page would have its own links, linking to articles relating to the subject of that page. Kind of like having a sports section, or a dragons section, or undead. Really, these days, you see an article or two (at least) on those two things alone. Holiday pages, etc. Out-of-Lore (AKA, Real Life) pages, philosophy pages...the possibilities are endless. It could potentially allow many, many, many more articles than what you currently are allowed. I remember that a few articles had Author's Note/AiT pages, where AiT articles were all in a separate place. Around issue 17, was it? This would be similar. More complex, but it is my slightly insane idea, a way of doing it. Comprehend? I don't think I am saying it well. :/

It is truly a sad day when you lose a relative so close to you. I have not had such an experience, so I can only imagine how bad it is. But that's enough for me to know that it is terrible. I am truly sorry for your loss, Mae. These things happen to us all eventually...but it always happens when we do not expect it, and we find that, no matter how prepared we thought we were, we are powerless to comprehend them. May you fare well, Mae. We'll be here for ya. ;)

-M
Post #: 3
1/21/2009 15:46:37   
Cow Face
One Heck of a Guy

It's good to see the letter from you, Alac. I hope you can at least submit writings occasionally (if not more often).

Maegwyn, I wish that I could find words to express how I feel. I am sincerely sorry that this had to happen. Death is a terrible tragedy, one which leaves us feeling shorn and incomplete. At least she is now in a place where there is none of the sorrow of this world, where there is but bliss. I suppose that death exists so that we may have something to make life beautiful. I just hope that you can find peace yourself soon... I'm at a loss for words.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
2/6/2009 1:31:36   
Gianna Glow

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Maegwyn! i'll be praying for you and your family! As for your mother-in-law, the next thing she will see is Jesus when he returns, and thats happy. :)
Also, Alac, so sorry to see you go! i hope you can still maybe pop into the Zardian randomly sometimes. :)
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 38 - Editors Note (smbdoll / Alac)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition