Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

DF fanfic

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> DF fanfic
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3/9/2009 1:23:19   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Table of contents

Unexpected Surprises

Pallor of Life

In Absentia

Anoril's Brithday

< Message edited by Eukara -- 3/9/2009 1:40:08 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
3/9/2009 1:23:51   
Eukara Vox

Unexpected Surprises

----Standing on the edge of the cliff overlooking the sea, Azlyra stared at the oncoming waves as she fingered the necklace around her neck. They crashed into the cliff, battering it. The sounds of the ocean saturated the air around her, briefly causing the rogue to remember her mother standing in this very spot the last time anyone saw her. If Azlyra inhaled deep enough, she could taste the salt that floated up from the spray. She licked her lips briefly and sighed, wondering if her mother too had tasted the salt on her lips. Eventually, she knew that her journey must turn northeast, towards Warlic's tent and beyond.

----"Why I respond to this kind of stuff, I don't know. Last thing I need is a charity job." She turned on her right foot and looked back up the path. The sun filtered gently through the leaves, contrasting with the violence of the crashing waves heard below. "But, I can't resist a child with a bleeding heart. What deity directed my path to cross Aria's I will never know, but they had better know they owe me."

----Slowly, Azlyra trudged up the path that led to Warlic's Tent. She passed the portal that would take her back home. Her pace slowed just a little as thoughts of abandoning the favor crossed her mind. I can't even bring myself to ditch the kid. What is wrong with me? Rolling her eyes, she sped up and headed towards the valley where the massive red tent stood.

----Though the wind coming off the mountain in the distance was brisk, the flag outside of his tent hung perfectly straight. Azlyra's hair whipped around her face as she approached Warlic's dwelling. She slowed down and smoothed her vest, trying to render her appearance acceptable. Everyone knew you approached Warlic with a certain amount of reverence. Well, everyone except Cysero. I assume that Warlic considers any approach by him that isn't followed by an explosion, gas or misguided magic reverent.

----A moment before Azlyra reached the opening to his abode, Warlic exited. His deep blue robes fluttered gently with the breeze and he smiled at her. "Well, Azlyra, this is somewhat of a surprise. I wasn't aware that you left the lower forests...ever."

----Azlyra swallowed, trying hard not to respond in the way she wanted. The retort sat on the tip of her tongue, barely hanging on for dear life; for if it let go, not only would it be shot down, but its owner too. "I have, on occasion, been known to leave the comfort of my dwellings to run an errand or two."

----"An errand or two...Interesting use of those words, Azlyra." Warlic's eyes shone just enough that Azlyra knew he was baiting her, but her self-control was already teetering on the edge. "I doubt you are here to trade words, Rogue. What is it that you need from me?"

----And people wonder why I keep to myself. She mustered a half smile. "Aria asked me to come here in search of something new, something she greatly desires for the pet shop. A brand new creature no one has seen before." Noticing Warlic's amused look, she rolled her eyes. "Of course, it is merely a rumor spread by box stealing sneevils caught in Robina's traps. But you know how children are. Shiny things are quite attractive and desirable."

----"I was under the impression that it wasn't just children that found shiny things desirable," he quipped. He smiled slightly and continued before Azlyra had time to say anything. "There has been some very strange activities in the forests around here lately. Perhaps something has moved in...Nythera!"

----Azlyra winced inwardly. She had hoped to avoid seeing Nythera, much less having to talk to her. The familiar scowl appeared from behind the smaller tent next to Warlic's and upon seeing Azlyra, Nythera scoffed and glared at Warlic.

----"What do you want now, O great instructor?" she spat as her gaze shifted towards Azlyra. The rogue held her ground, never wilting under the gaze of Warlic's apprentice. Eyes narrowed, Nythera crossed her arms and stared. "Since when do the lower life forms dare approach this place?"

----Azlyra stepped forward, hands curling into fists at her side. "You didn't say that last time," she snickered. "As I recall, you were crying, 'Ow, oh that wasn't fa-'"

----"Enough!" Warlic eyed both women and shook his head. "Enough, both of you. I did not summon you, Nythera, to insult someone seeking out my advice and knowledge." He turned to Azlyra, "As for you, I daresay you are lucky to still be alive to be speaking here at all after that encounter. Though, how you managed to best her, I have yet to figure out."

----Uncurling her fingers, Azlyra relaxed, knowing she was walking on thin ice. Nythera's gaze still sent imaginary arrows at Azlyra's chest and she could imagine that if the apprentice was allowed to, the arrows would be laced in some kind of magic. Counting herself lucky, she turned to look at Warlic. It was then that she wilted, for his gaze suddenly made her feel very insignificant.

----She bowed her head. "My apologies, Warlic."

----He muttered under his breath and addressed Nythera. "You have been in the forest lately, Nythera, gathering plants and such. Have you come across anything out of cadence with the balance of the world?"

----"There seems to be something amiss, yes, but nothing I found the least bit interesting," she admitted grudgingly. "I didn't see it as something that I really needed to bring to your attention."

----"Yeah, because she was going to use it to her own advantage," Azlyra said under her breath.

----Nythera inhaled sharply and turned to Azlyra. Warlic grabbed her arm before she could do or say anything. "What exactly seemed amiss?"

----Nythera pulled her arm out of Warlic's grasp and straightened her shoulders. "It was nothing. A few of the creatures were just acting strange, that's all. A unicougar was trying to climb the trees and a few sylphs were excited."

----Warlic looked from one woman to the other and exhaled heavily. "Aria is usually right when it comes to the creatures of the Lore. Her grandmother has taught her well. Since this is my area and the natives are restless, Nythera, I want you to go investigate more. Find out what is going on."

----"But," she objected, "but why do I have to go do that? I have other things to do around here. Things to make and try ... I have been practicing the potion making lessons. Just make her go; she's the Hero. Besides, who will clean up the laundry that Cysero left thrown all over the place? That was one of my duties today." Azlyra balked. She saw the evil glint in Nythera's eye and took a step back.

----"No, you have to be the one to do it. If this is magical in nature, you would be better able to handle it, Nythera." Warlic merely shook his head. "I am sure Azlyra can handle the mess Cysero left."

----"Oh ... very well. If it has to be done, it has to be done." She smirked as she turned towards the forest, bumping Azlyra's shoulder as she passed by. Azlyra merely stood still as a statue, for if she moved, it would be to grab a dagger and fling it at the retreating back of Warlic's apprentice.

----"You are wise to stay your hand, Azlyra. I know the temptation. I know it very well." He pulled the tent flap open and gestured for Azlyra to follow him. "Might as well get started. At least I know you won't complain ... Well, openly. I have important things to do and the peace will make it that much easier."

----Azlyra turned to face the opening to the tower and sighed, acknowledging the task that would occupy her time for few hours once Warlic absented himself. The line that divided their sides of the tower was still there. She sighed and walked towards the unknown. Sounds of restlessness echoed through the air, forcing Azlyra to pull her daggers from their sheaths and proceeded to the mysterious side of laundry, week-old encrusted socks, and whatever creatures emerged from the rogue magic that sometimes escaped Cysero's workshop and infiltrated his home.

----Cautiously, she walked on the dark carpet that ran down the middle of the corridor, passing by beautifully tiled marbled floors to either side. When she reached the boundary that separated Warlic's half of the tower from Cysero's side, she paused. The glow from the lights only intensified the differences between the two sides. Suddenly, something darted across her line of vision, causing Azlyra to hang her head and accept her fate.

----As she crossed the line, chittering greeted her from both sides. Looking to her left, she saw that one of the windows was sideways. Sideways? What on earth is Cysero doing in here? Seriously, someone needs to put his hands in chains or something. Her eyes followed a shadow up ahead, slowly moving towards her. I guess I should count myself lucky that this place is still a human habitation and not the insides of a fish...

----As her eyes followed a slow moving form up ahead, something blitzed her from above. The impact caught her off guard and sent her skittering across the floor. A high pitch screech gave her but a few moments warning before the creature attacked her again. It landed on her chest, knocking the wind out of her. She struggled for breath as she swiped at the creature on top of her.

----A whiff of something nasty tickled her nose and she gagged. As her eyes teared up, she saw what it was causing her discomfort. A dirty sock monkey swiped at her face and she was just able to bring up her dagger to block the attack. As the creature recovered, she backhanded the little devil with her other hand, sending him flying off her chest.

----She rolled onto her stomach quickly and rose to her feet. The sock monkey screeched again and clambered up a column. As he flung himself at her from his lofty height, something wrapped around her left leg. She felt the tendril of cloth as it snaked its way up her leg, constricting slowly. Azlyra tried to kick whatever was attached to her body, but she couldn't move. The sock monkey landed on her back, clawing at her head and shoulders. Several times the creature searched for her mouth with its dirty sock hands but failed.

----Putting her daggers in their sheaths, Azlyra reached up and gripped the soft body of the sock monkey and pulled him off. As it squirmed in her hands, it lashed out its tail and whipped her cheek. Incensed, Azlyra hurled the sock monkey at the wall. The respite allowed her to look down at what was responsible for the slow loss of feeling in her leg. The tentacled appendages of a laundry golem held her fast; the creature's tugs becoming stronger. A grumbling up ahead caught her attention.

----I don't like the sound of that! Azlyra struggled with the laundry golem, but the creature stood fast. Grabbing one of her daggers, she swiped down towards its head, but the creature dodged it. It groaned, turning its buttoned face towards the approaching monster. Another air strike by the sock monkey toppled her over, causing her to crash to the floor. A cacophony of screams echoed as a troop of dirty sock monkeys dog-piled Azlyra.

----"Oh, get off me you little runts!" she screamed. The monkeys screamed back, then cackled. Several pulled her hair as the others wrestled with keeping her arms and legs pinned to the floor. Twice she kicked, sending dirty sock monkeys flying through the air. Those that had stayed planted on her body laughed, pointing at their airborne comrades.

----Once the launched sock monkeys hit the wall, those holding Azlyra down turned their attention on her. One broke from the group nearest her right leg and clambered over his troop mates, heading for her head. Another abandoned his post on her torso, was quickly replaced by a returning monkey, and joined the migrating comrade. Both stopped at her neck and giggled, looking down at her face. Lightning quick, they shoved their dirty sock covered hands in her face. She shook her head back and forth, trying to avoid the creatures' hands, until the laundry golem appeared next and wrapped its tentacles around her face. With her head no longer mobile, one monkey smothered her nose with a paw while the other tried to stick his hands in her mouth.

----Mouth firmly closed, she cursed the creatures amid mumbles and grunts. Frustrated, the second monkey turned to the troop and chirruped. Suddenly, three of them began to tickle Azlyra. She was defenseless against this attack and eventually couldn't keep her mouth shut, she was laughing so hard. The second monkey took advantage of the situation and tried to shove both hands into her mouth.

----She gagged, no longer susceptible to the tickling. Her nose and mouth offended, she felt sick to her stomach. It churned as dirty sock monkeys jumped around, causing her to feel worse. She allowed herself one course of action, one that she had no choice in. Something caught the attention of the monkeys and she bit down hard, causing the sock monkey to scream and pull its hands from her mouth.

----A roar scattered the dirty sock monkey troop. Slowly, the laundry golem unwrapped its tentacled arms from her head and retreated. Azlyra propped herself up on her arms and looked towards the noise. Oh that is just great. As if the dirty sock monkeys weren't enough, but Cysero has another bugbear. I hate bugbears.

----The bugbear lunged forward, jaws gaping. Azlyra rolled out of the way just in time to feel the jaws snap shut next to her back. Jumping to her feet, she pulled her daggers and held them tightly in her hands. Snarling, the bugbear stepped back briefly, only to launch itself at her in a roll. The spines on his back shot out as he rolled, narrowly missing her.

----Unfortunately for the bugbear, the beast's biggest weakness was the chance it took using those spines. Once deployed, they stuck in virtually anything impacted. Since he missed Azlyra, the bugbear now lay on its back, upon those very spines stuck in the floor. It squirmed and growled, upset at its predicament. As Azlyra neared the creature, she noticed something in its paws. A red, black and white fleecy material was stuck between its claws.

----"What is this, you beast?" she yelled.

----The bugbear squirmed, more to get away now than to attack. It whimpered slightly and then began to moved more violently. She stunned the bugbear by smacking it in the head with the flat of her blade and pulled the material from his claws.

----I know this material.

----Without warning, the spines in the bugbear's back retracted and the creature hit the floor. It yelped and ran away, heading straight for the nearest window and jumped.

----"You found something I take it?' Warlic asked from behind.

----"Apparently, something is amiss, and Cysero's problems were not his fault ..." she replied without turning around, "amazingly." Azlyra rolled the material between the fingers of her right hand. After a few moments, she turned to face Warlic. "I know this material. I have seen it before, even felt it before. But I can't recall it."

----Warlic plucked the material from her fingers and looked at it. "I know exactly what this is. Go into the forest. Nythera is not back yet, which I assumed would be the case anyway."

----"You knew all along didn't you?" Azlyra looked at the archmage suspiciously.

----"Perhaps. Would it have truly mattered if I did? You would still have to come to me anyway, as you were destined to do that very act, just as I was destined to send Nythera into the forest to do absolutely nothing but gather potion ingredients for her own purposes."

----Azlyra blinked. Well, that should have been expected yet I am surprised. Go figure. "That said, perhaps I should go on my way? Or am I destined for something else at the moment?"

----Warlic narrowed his eyes, glaring at Azlyra. "No, Azlyra, most people know perfectly well why you keep to yourself." A wave of his hand and Azlyra was no longer in the tower but in the middle of the forest.

----"I guess I was destined to be here right now."

----Azlyra looked around, carefully watching shadows and nooks in hollowed out trees. There should have been songs sung by territorial birds and the skittering of squirrels, yet it was quiet. She scanned the canopy, hoping to find some sign of life. Out of the corner of her eye, she swore she saw the entire treetop move down. A loud crashing to her right produced a unicougar, who bounded for the tree with the moving canopy.

----The creature attempted to climb the tree, and upon failing, merely stretched out its body. Its massive claws dug into the tree about ten feet up. The unicougar roared, causing the canopy to return to its original position.

----What was that? Azlyra stared at the tree in disbelief. Odd, trees don't just move. She cautiously stepped towards the tree, keeping one eye on the unicougar. At first the tree looked normal- tall, wide trunk, brown-grey bark, and a full canopy of leaves. As she approached the tree, the unicougar snarled. Fur bristling, it dropped back down onto all four paws. The unicougar extended the claws and scraped at the ground, showing off just one of its weapons.

----"Well, aren't you a good looking unicougar! Look at that fur, so nice a golden... I bet you do something special to keep it so shiny and clean." Azlyra spoke softly, hoping the unicougar would not see her as a threat. Three steps later, the unicougar roared and advanced on her. "Well, so much for politeness."

----The unicougar leapt at Azlyra, causing her to dive to the side to avoid the sharpened claws. She rolled to her feet and faced the cat again. "Nice kitty. Surely you don't want to hurt me. I haven't done anything to you yet."

----It snarled. "Not yet, but you will need to act soon enough."

----Azlyra stood up straight and blinked. The unicougar didn't just talk to me, did it? Surely not...

----"You seek something that is already claimed, Rogue." From behind the tree stepped someone Azlyra would have never expected. Especially since it was spring. "You look surprised my dear. Surely, you don't think that I only bring out this outfit during Frostvale.? If so, then you are seriously misguided."

----Azlyra's jaw dropped. Well, at least it wasn't the unicougar talking to me. I think I would need serious therapy... or assume Nythera had something to do with it. Actually, seeing Xan like this in the spring may warrant a trip to a therapist. Azlyra looked at Xanta Claus, looking ridiculous underneath the flowering branches in his Frostvale costume. "What are you doing here? Don't even think about inflicting any of your shenanigans on us!"

----"What, me?" Xanta Claus smiled. "Besides, don't you mean Xananigans?"

----Azlyra groaned.

----"Hehehe, that's a good one. I will have to use it in the future. Of course, I would have to wait to use that when Frostvale comes around again and I must terrori-- um, make my true appearance." Xanta Claus stepped closer, the heat from the eternal flame consuming his head heating Azlyra's skin. "I would love to use it right now, but unfortunately, no one cares to talk to me when visiting that wretched statue of Warlic in Falconreach."

----Azlyra coughed, covering up her laughter. "How do you know what it is I seek? The only person I have spoken to about this is Warlic."

----"Do NOT speak that name in my presence! Unless you want to know what the afterlife holds for you, leave that man out of this conversation." Xanta's flame flared briefly.

----"Oh, wow, sorry. I forgot that you still are sore over that whole thing from back then. Well, like I said, no one knows why I am here except he-that-should-not-be-named and the person who requested my assistance to be here." Azlyra narrowed her eyes and glared at him.

----"Aria is a bright girl, such a future she has if she chooses wisely. I have my ways. Remember, I can see you when you're sleeping..." Xanta roars with laughter, causing the tree canopy to shake violently and move again.

----A fireball formed between his hands and he pulled back as if to shove it towards the leaves. "Stay there! Can't you just do what you are told?" He turned to Azlyra. "Really, is it that hard for a creature to obey an easy command?"

----Shrugging, Azlyra peered into the canopy and watched the movement cease. At first, there was nothing there but leaves in her eyes. Yet, to her amazement, the leaves seemed to move as one. Not like leaves in the wind which may move the same direction but not unison. These leaves did. "Wait, are you telling me that what ever is up there is the creature that Aria sent me to find?"

----"Wow, you are a sharp one." Xanta smirked. "To think, it took you but half an hour to figure that out."

----Azlyra rolled her eyes. "So, you are herding them for your own uses. That tells me that they are more than just simple animals that Aria wants to train. So what is it that makes them so special?"

----"As if I would tell the likes of you!" Xanta scoffed.

----"The likes of me...haven't looked in a mirror lately have you?"

----Xanta tossed the fireball, still burning in his hands, in the air. Without warning, he launched it at Azlyra, who caught off-guard, had to drop onto her stomach to avoid being burnt by Xanta's attack. "That was uncalled for!"

----Another fireball formed and was launched at her. "Uncalled for? You insult me and say that my attack is uncalled for?"

----Azlyra rolled to the right to avoid the blazing ball coming at her. The ground was left black where it hit and she looked up at her enemy. "What is it about these creatures that you have imprisoned them in the tree and command them like slaves?"

----"Wouldn't you like to know? But you won't because I am not going to give you the satisfaction of learning what makes these creatures incredible." He flung two more fire spells at her, one narrowly missing her and the other brushing her side.

----The shirt and vest both had been burned away, along with a good portion of her skin on the left side of her body. She could feel a slight breeze blow across the raw, burned skin on her side. Moving caused her to involuntarily flinch and Xanta smiled. The canopy shuddered violently, causing the unicougar to snarl up the trunk again. Xanta turned his attention on the tree and yelled. As he did, Azlyra pushed herself to her feet and tackled Xanta.

----As soon as she hit him, Azlyra knew that her move was a bad idea. Her hair shriveled in the intense heat of the eternal fire consuming his head. The fire began to irritate and burn her arms, forcing her to disengage her attack as both fighters fell to the ground. She kicked away from Xanta, pushing him further from her.

----The air began to hum. At first, it was quiet, but quickly the sound escalated to a roar. Both fighters looked up and saw the canopy descend towards them, disregarding the affronted unicougar. It snapped its jaws at the passing creatures, but to no avail. Azlyra stood, dumbfounded at the sheer number of ... what ever was coming towards them.

----Xanta struggled to his feet and yelled at the oncoming hoard of leaves. "Stay back on that tree!" Flames erupted in his hands. "I will use force. You will obey me!"

----Azlyra braced for impact, closing her eyes and praying that whatever the creatures intended would be over quickly. She knew what happened when the creatures of Lore got angry. A blast of air ripped by her body as the swarm passed by. But not one creature touched her. Opening her eyes, Azlyra watched as hundreds of colorful creatures flew past her.

----Curious, she lifted her hand and pushed it into the creatures' path, yet they parted to avoid touching her. She turned around, eyes transfixed on the myriad of designs that rushed past her. Every creature had some shade of green - leaves it looked like - spotted with blues, oranges, whites and yellows. She felt as if she was caught in a storm of spring. Smiling, she turned to see where their path was taking them.

----Xanta Claus was spinning around, trying to bat the creatures away. They swarmed, thick and menacing, making it hard to see Xanta himself among the many creatures. As they swirled around him, they slowly moved in closer and closer. Azlyra could almost feel their anger towards Xanta, which seemed to build the tighter they flew around him.

----Their movements made her dizzy and she was forced to step away. She could hear the humming change pitch and felt not only anger now, but frustration, sadness, helplessness...she closed her eyes but the feelings refused to go away. The screams coming from Xanta Claus didn't make things better, and at one point she swore she heard him call her name.

----Try as she may, nothing worked and the emotions began to overwhelm her. In addition to those foreign to her, panic rose inside and she fought desperately to quell it. As if coming to her rescue, several of the creatures removed themselves from Xanta's assault and fluttered to her. As they neared, something strange began to happen.

----The necklace that she had received from her mother began to glow. The onyx cabochon shone brightly, its polished luster almost ethereal. The creatures settled on her and the negative emotions left her. It was then that she had the chance to really look at this being, this thing that Aria had sent her to find. It was a delicate creature, almost fairylike, except the fairies she knew were mean little light sprites.

----No, these were different. "Aren't you beautiful? Are you responsible for all these emotions?"

----One hovered in front of her face. It's body was made up of leaf-like parts. This one looked like a tiny branch of an ash tree. Among the "leaves" was what looked to be flowers. "Well, aren't you a complicated little guy. You look as if you are supposed to be the tree."

----The creature tossed its head to remove the leafy hair from his eyes and looked at Azlyra. She felt exasperation and suddenly realized that these creatures were indeed responsible for all the emotions flying about. They were empathic. She turned and looked at the swarm that was torturing Xanta. For the first time, she felt sympathy for him and the little creatures sensed it.

----Suddenly, they disengaged their attack and Xanta was left a huddled, shivering mass on the ground. The flames that usually engulfed his head were muted, flickering. Azlyra had no interest in knowing exactly what they did to him, now that she knew what they could do.

----She walked away from him, trying to put as much distance between him and herself as possible. The leafy creatures followed her, humming constantly. Once she was on the edge of the forest, she stopped and turned to face the cloud of leaves hovering over the ground.

----"What are you and why do you follow me?" she asked, not truly expecting an answer.

----The humming began to differentiate, some voices dropping or raising in octave, others changing to minor or major chords. As the creatures hummed together, Azlyra swore she heard words. As the music they produced swelled, she knew they were, in fact, trying to communicate.

----"Call us Leiflees, Azlyra. We have stayed hidden for so long, until the flaming one discovered us. Now, we cannot stay hidden any longer and are not sure if this is a good thing or bad. So much of your world seems harsh and unforgiving."

----Azlyra sighed. "There are good things though. Like the girl that sent me here to find you. She is a sweet little girl who loves all the creatures in Lore." I recall a particular trip into a cave to illustrate that point. "I am sure if you spoke to her, you would see there is greatness here."

----The Leiflees quieted for a moment, then responded. "Then take us to her. If she is what you say, then we will hold onto that hope for you and your kind."

----A solitary Leiflee broke from the group and nestled onto Azlyra's shoulder. The onyx shone more brightly, causing Azlyra to look into it. Within the center of the cabochon, the symbol of a Sassafrass leaf materialized. The Leiflee on her shoulder also changed, its leafy appearance taking on a more sassafrass-like shape.

----"It seems, Azlyra, that one of our own has chosen to stay with you. Whether you realize this or not, this is a very inauspicious thing. We don't bond with others lightly. Perhaps there is more to you than what you project." The rest of the Leiflees, including the few that shielded her from Xanta's punishment swirled up into the sky and headed towards Falconreach.

----"Interesting, don't you think?" Warlic's voice drifted from behind her. "Incredible creatures. I watched them handle Xanta Claus and care for you. And now it seems that you have a momento of this adventure. I will be watching closely, more to see how this all works out. Good luck, Azlyra."

----She turned to see nothing but trees. The Leiflee on her shoulder nudged her gently and she nodded, knowingly. "Yeah, home sounds good to me too."

< Message edited by Eukara -- 3/30/2009 17:25:31 >
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 2
3/9/2009 1:34:04   
Eukara Vox

Pallor of Life

The metallic song of axe and sword haunted the valley between Battleon and the Great Cementary; its cadence was fast and the two fighters danced into a frenzy of thrusts, slashes and swipes. Axe blazing through the air, a paladin dominated the shadows that had begun to stretch across the valley while the undead warrior struggled to fight back. He brought the axe over his head and pulled it hard down onto the head of the undead warrior. Decayed arms countered, bringing up the sword to block the attack, but the paladin was stronger. He pinned the undead warrior's sword against his bony shoulder, trying not to inhale too deeply. The undead warrior stared into the paladin’s cold blue eyes through empty sockets and knew that his life, as it was, would come to an end shortly.

Using his axe, the paladin pushed the undead away from him then kicked, sending unholy creature sprawling backwards. The sword went flying from his hands as he landed in the mire and muck. Dragging himself through the grime and mud, the skeletal abomination pulled himself up so that he could stand before the paladin. His empty sockets stared at the paladin, an unholy smile upon his skull. “This will never end. We are strong and there is always someone willing to bring us back to fulfill the bloodlust we died serving. The taste will always draw to this realm and you will never win.”

The bright axe fell swiftly, severing the head from the body. A black mist rose from the skeletal body and swirled through the air. As the paladin watched the departing spirit, he put his axe away and sighed deeply. Turning slowly, he made his way towards the road that brought him to the valley in the first place, chasing the undead warrior.

Back on the road, again. This never ending rabbit trail is tiresome. How many more days, how many more weeks shall this life be thus and not mine. Undead warriors, undead paladins, defectors of my own order. Greed…lust of power. It is a bane. A bane to everything.

He continued to walk on, passing by swaths of wildflowers and blooming trees. Singing birds flew through the air, cheerfully displaying their colors to attract the females waiting in the trees. All this, wonder and beauty was lost on the wandering man. As he passed by people working the soil on their farms, he noticed them not, as his mind was already set on the time at hand. He trudged on, not responding to the waves and smiles of children, merely following the sense that would take him to the next infestation.

Why must we continue on our road, calling upon the things that which we do not fully understand, only to use it against one another. Death…darkness…pain…pathetic existences them all. Grasping for power that should never have been brought to light. Hahaha, bringing darkness to light. How appropriate. How appropriate, indeed.

The setting sun glared over the horizon, causing him to shade his eyes as he marched onward. All he could see was his feet, not that he cared. They were merely taking him onward towards the goal at hand. The back of his neck itched, meaning he was getting close. Peering up and squinting against the glare of the setting sun, the paladin saw his destination.

Of course. Just the place I want to be. The domed roof, the telltale signs of icons. Let’s see, this one has blue and gold stained windows with a picture of a dove. Must be the shrine to Anurali, goddess of chance and luck. Why don’t people see that no matter of shrine or altar will fix this place. If we can’t be enough to save ourselves then why would anyone else care enough to help? No, this is all there is to life and it sucks. Immensely.

A roar snapped him out of his reverie and he looked up in time to see two undead soldiers attacking him. The paladin dove out of the way, rolling a few feet before returning upright and pulling his axe from his back. One swing from his axe stopped both weapons wielded by the undead in midair. He locked both of them under the curvature of the blades and spun the axe handle in his hands, unarming the undead quickly. The swords flew through the air landing several feet from the reach of the two rotting corpses.

They screamed in anger and lunged at the paladin. Turning his axe over in his hands, he spun it rapidly and deflected their feeble blows, dismantling the skeletal frames as they attacked. Once the undead were taken care of and the dark souls rose and swirled towards the clouds, the paladin marched on up the path to the remainder of the fight. He could hear the calls of the undead to each other as well as very feminine voice.

He stopped in his tracks. A woman? What would a woman be doing here in this place? Why would she have herself surrounded by such creatures as these? Has the world gone mad?

Just you, lord of light.

But impossible things are afoot.
He stared at the tree-lined pathway. Undead around a shrine. A woman’s voice, unadulterated among the cries of an undead army. That is madness.

No, the madness is all yours. You hate this life yet you pursue it. You waste away under the chaffing weight of hopelessness, yet you fight for what? Glory, honor, fame?

I fight because I must.
Turning sharply, the paladin made his way into the forest, trudging along the pathway towards the cacophony of voices.

You fight because you do not have anything else worth doing in your life. I should know, I am you. I am the you that you refuse to acknowledge.

You cannot be me. You can’t. He shrugged his shoulders, as if trying to throw off the thing that contained the voice in his head. I must fight. Someone must fight.

Fight What! Mankind’s inability to know his limitations? Fight Mankind’s unending thirst and lust for power? You know that nothing will change them. Not you, not me, not anyone else in the world. No one will want to change.

You lie!
He growled under his breath. If you were me, you would not think thusly.

I AM YOU! I am more you than you want to acknowledge. You are useless. You rekill and rekill the undead, but it doesn’t stop. You slay conjurers of darkness and death, but there is always someone to take their place. You will not win. EVER.
“I will WIN!” the Paladin screamed into the night air. Silence followed his statement and his entire body felt the pulse of darkness around him. They came at every angle; from the side, dead ahead, from the back and from above. Rusted and aged swords, daggers and even a few axes swung at every inch of his body. A skeletal pair of rogues sulked behind a tree while an axe warrior came at him in full force, axe raised above his head.

The paladin inhaled deeply and met the axe warrior headlong, a resounding clang echoed over the hills of the shrine’s lands. The undead warrior pulled back and swung his axe down up on the paladin, intent on cleaving his skull in twain. The paladin answered with his own sidelong swipe and the handle splintered sending the blade into a trio of swordsmen. Axe connected to spine and the undead axe warrior lay broken at the paladin’s feet. The rogues leapt from the trees, smashing bony elbows into the paladin’s neck causing him to fall to his knees and sent his axe skittering through the dead leaves. One rogue slashed the paladin’s side, where the faded armor was jointed, with a jagged, worn dagger and he cried out in pain. He felt the blood flow, staining the hand-sewn shirt beneath.

As the second rogue kicked at his face, the paladin fell face first to the ground avoiding the white, dirty foot. He reached out for his axe, fingers straining to reach it. An undead warrior smashed a foot down on his outstretched arm and the pain reverberated through his body. Ignoring the pain, the paladin pulled his arm out from under the warrior and sent the undead sprawling. He ran for his axe and retreated into the shrine to regroup.

Useless maneuver, lord of light. They can still get in here. Just give up. You already have in your heart, just succumb to your mind and be done with it.

No, I cannot.
His haggard breath bounced loudly off the old barren walls. There is still so much to do, to fight, to beat.

You are the only one fighting. You are defeated and it is a defeat at your own hands.

NO!
He screamed internally, his mind reeling from the insinuations the voice made.

Listen to yourself, useless warrior of good. You are but one man in a world where no one cares anymore. It is futile, man, futile. Your madness does nothing but prolong the inevitable.

No.

Your madness is proof. You were saying on your way here that you are tire; that the world does not care anymore. You were ready to throw down your axe before arriving here. Why haven’t you? You know that you are worthless to this world. It...isn’t...worth…it…anymore…

no

Goodness has left the world, man. It is long gone and given way to corruption, hate, greed and death. Let the dead live with the dead and let go.

The undead poured into the shrine and the paladin looked up into the visage of Anurali. She looked down at him in sadness and he swore he saw tears in her eyes. The undead swarmed over him, beating him with their clubs, ripping into him with their weapons. And he laid there, wondering where the good had gone.

The woman’s voice could be heard over the din of battle. The undead parted and she walked up to the paladin, broken and laying on the altar of Anurali. She smiled and looked him over. The paladin looked into her eyes and the last part of him, his heart, broke under the weight of the stare.

“Laurent, my love, what a shame.”

Darkness swirled and he breathed one last time as she touched his skin.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 3
3/9/2009 1:36:52   
Eukara Vox

In Absentia

There is an old lady outside Oaklore Keep that lives along the road to Falconreach. If you stop in sometime, she may tell you one of the saddest and strangest stories you have ever heard.

In my prime, I knew everyone in Oaklore, seeing as most of them I helped birth as a midwife. I saw an awful lot in my time as midwife. But nothing compares to the last family I helped bring a child into the world for. This is the one part of Oaklore history I will never forget.

Brangst Herfsnayer was a kind man. He grew up idolizing the knights of the Pactogonal Table. His mother had the local woodsmith whittle a wooden sword for him when he was seven years old out of faulty wood from the mill. Brangst went everywhere with that blade. His favorite targets were the chickens at old Mayer’s place on the way to Oaklore. When he became of age he traded in the old handcrafted sword for a practice sword and simple training armor. He trained hard, emulating his favorite knights. He would collapse in his bed at night with a smile on his face. Soon enough, he achieved his goal and became a defender of Oaklore and a respected member of the Table. He went out on quests to retrieve things stolen by factions of sneevils. He protected the local farms from the overgrazing and overzealous boveox. But his crowning moment was rescuing a family from a marauding band of Vurrmen.

The first time he saw her, he knew he was going to marry her. Her long red hair shone in the sunlight and her green eyes sparkled. She had a smile that would melt a yeti’s heart and a touch lighter than a feather. Her name was music to his ears, Coralee. He had come swooping in to save the day and she looked at him with such admiration that nothing would have parted them. He asked her to marry him after three months of courtship. They were oblivious to everything in the world.

They lived with his parents until Brangst made enough gold as a knight to build them a sweet little home in the woods. Brangst enjoyed his place as husband and provider in the house. Everyday, he came home to a kiss and a large meal. And each night, they would curl up in front of the fire and read to each other. Sometimes the stories were romantic. Sometimes Brangst and Coralee laughed late into the night when reading a comedy. But no matter what it was, they never strayed far from each other’s touch.

A few years went by and Brangst started to become anxious about Coralee. Though they had been trying to have a child, they had been unsuccessful. I was called on to give all kinds of brews and concoctions to Coralee that should have helped her conceive. Just when they had given up all hope, Coralee discovered that she had conceived. After five years of trying, they were finally going to have a family. I was happy for the couple. They deserved such happiness.

Brangst made sure that Coralee did everything she was told. She ate properly, walked about more and rested longer in the middle of the day. But near the middle of the second trimester, she became ill. The doctor tried to help but nothing worked. Because there was concern for the baby, I was asked to come in earlier than usual. It seemed as though I was with the family constantly. A couple of months went by and Coralee didn’t get better. I tried to reassure Brangst that the child was still well and that most mothers-to-be did go through sicknesses like this. Towards the beginning of the third trimester, Coralee got worse. Brangst never left her side and became withdrawn and sad. The Knights gave Brangst a leave of absence to help take care of Coralee. The townspeople weren’t sure if they should offer condolences or prayers for recovery. I worked night and day to make Coralee comfortable. There were days when I thought I was going to lose her.

I had to leave town for a couple of days to get some medicines for her pain. Upon entering Oaklore, I was met by a frantic knight saying that I was needed right away. Coralee had gone into labor the night before and it looked bad. Coralee ended up delivering early, but the baby was a fine strong boy. When Brangst finally got to hold the baby, he named him Brigg. He smiled down at the boy, walked over to Coralee and happily stroked her cheek. His touched seemed to bring color back to her face and she managed a small smile of her own. Coralee remained slightly sick during the first few weeks, so a wet nurse was brought in to help take care of she and Brigg. Brangst stayed home with Coralee and Brigg, caring for them the best he could and enjoyed fatherhood. I dropped in time to time to make sure that Coralee was fine. The older Brigg got the happier Brangst appeared. After a few months, Coralee strengthened and the wet nurse was dismissed.

Several families from town brought meals to help the family out so that Brangst and Coralee could concentrate on loving and caring for Brigg. Brangst returned to the Pactogonal Table in good spirits, but his presence seemed more reserved. Most people placed the blame on the hard pregnancy and Coralee’s long recovery. But slowly over time, he cheered up some, Coralee got even better and eventually by Brigg’s first birthday, he was back to the man everyone remembered. With Brangst in high spirits and Coralee able to spend more time in town with Brigg, everyone felt better about Brangst and his family. The family became part of the town again and everyone seemed happy.

But not all was bright and beautiful. Though everyone appeared fine and the people of Oaklore enjoyed having the family back, there were whispers going around Oaklore. Brangst had lost some weight, and though that seemed a petty complaint by some, others were more concerned. It was gradual, but Brangst did nothing different than he had all his life. By Brigg’s second birthday, Brangst health was a concern for all those around him. And occasionally, Coralee and Brigg seemed slightly reserved. When Brangst looked his worst, his wife and child weren’t always around. They stayed at the house and people were forced to go to them.

Brangst had to get a new set of armor because of the weight loss and recently his strength had waned. Brangst’s superior officer made a few house calls to make sure everything was ok and found that the house was an active, though maybe quieter place than recently. But dinner was always cooking when he stopped by, and Brigg was found to be playing quietly with his toys in the living area. Coralee would pat him on the shoulder and thank him for watching out for her love.

Brangst began to invite others over to dispel the myth of his failing health. Children came over to play with Brigg and everyone seemed to back off. The children’s games were frequently done inside and were quiet. The dinners with friends were quaint and conversation was low and on topics that didn’t require much opinion. By the time Brigg turned three, everyone in town had to admit that Brangst looked bad. His eyes were yellowing, his skin seemed dry and he was getting weaker. To make matters worse, Coralee and Brigg weren’t seen quite as often and everyone assumed it was because she was busy at home trying to figure out how to care for Brangst.

He submitted to the doctor at everyone’s insistence, but the doctor found nothing wrong except that he was underweight. The doctor sent a note home with him to ask Coralee to fix bigger meals. Guests were always amazed at the amount of food served at dinners and wondered how on earth Brangst was losing weight with meals like this on the table every night.

Slowly, Brangst missed more and more days of work. The knights took turns visiting the house to call on him and see how he was feeling. He officially gave his resignation to the Pactogonal Table, knowing he was too weak to be much help anymore. The people in town saw less and less of Coralee, too, though the knights said that she was at home tending to Brangst’s needs. As the months dragged on, Brangst and his family were seen very little. A day came suddenly when the townspeople realized that Brangst had not been seen in a while. A few asked around and no one claimed to have seen him. A few shop owners agreed that they hadn’t seen Coralee in some time.

The knights and a few others from town, including myself, went to the house to check on the family. We walked through the home and found it bear, kitchen dusty and back door wide open. When we walked out, we found the thin, dry husk of Brangst on the ground, hugging a large marble slab sitting against the house. A few of the other women walked around outside calling for Coralee and Brigg. And until the day I die, I will never forget that scene or what it meant for all of us that fateful day. I was there when the knights carefully removed Brangst from the stone. I saw the inscription carved into the stone in Brangst’s handwriting.

My beloved Coralee, my wife, my best friend.
And the child that never saw the sun’s beautiful light.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 4
3/9/2009 1:38:49   
Eukara Vox

Anoril's Birthday

Anoril sat in front of the TV, channel surfing, looking for something to entertain him. It wasn’t like it hadn’t been a good day so far. He woke up to gifts and checked out the CD where several members of the clan left birthday wishes for him. He even found some of the stories written for his birthday event entertaining. It was just that, well, he thought that something spectacular should have happened by now.

As he flipped through the channels, a news flash erupted across the screen. Intrigued, he settled in and watched the news anchor stare at him through the TV screen. The man sounded bewildered as he delivered the news flash.

“This just in. We have confirmed a wild story reported this morning about several large, unidentified creatures roaming around the countryside. The reported sighting of the creatures says that they seem to be looking for something, though no one has worked up the courage to approach them. Here is a fuzzy picture of two of them taken an hour ago by a panicked American tourist.”

A picture flashed across the screen and Anoril dropped the remote onto the floor. Impossible! They don’t exist outside of DF.

The news anchor continued, “Until this situation has been fixed, everyone is encouraged to stay inside. If you see anything resembling the creatures in your neighborhood, please contact the authorities. Don not approach them, I repeat, do not approach them.”

Anoril switched off the TV and stared at its dark screen. He smiled and jumped out of the chair and walked calmly to the door. Stay inside when those things are roaming around here. Yeah, right!

Once Anoril was clear of the house, two unexpected guests arrived at his front door. They tried the door and found it unlocked as Anoril was so excited about the news report that he forgot to lock the door. The creatures tried several times to squeeze through the door frame. As the first one did, a loud crack sounded from the left side of the frame. It let out a sigh of relief as it slipped into the house. The second one shook her head as she followed the larger one in.

They searched the entire house for the room they needed most. They tried out the sofa, but ended up breaking it when they sat down. Neither could squeeze into the bathroom but found the room quite intriguing. As they lumbered through the house, tables fell over, pictures swung askew and things fell off shelves and broke. Neither creature blinked once as these things happened. Until they reached their primary goal, nothing mattered.

Anoril ran through the streets, anxious to catch sight of the creatures he saw on the news. As he approached the outside of town, he slowed down. Last thing he needed to do was frighten them. He walked casually down the road until he saw something move to his right. He snuck a glance to the side and saw one trying to hide behind a tree. He tried not to laugh, but it was a comical sight. He stopped and looked directly at the great gray creature. He wanted more than anything to approach it.

The creature looked at him invitingly. Somehow it knew what Anoril wanted. Should I go to it? Should I trust it? I am the expert on these awesome creatures and wrote about them often, but, can I truly just walk up to it? Anoril took a tentative step towards it and then another. Soon he found himself at arm’s length from the great creature. I have always wanted to meet a gorrillaphant in person. But it was only a game…

He stared at the gorrillaphant and smiled. Suddenly, the gorrillaphant’s left arm reached out and roughly touched his chest. Before Anoril could react the gorrillaphant snorted happily and took off running. Right before his eyes, several more gorrillaphants began to run around also. Bewildered, Anoril realized that the gorrillaphant that he approached just tagged him. He was it!

After several minutes of exploring and arguing, which unfortunately led to the destruction of the TV, the creatures found what they were looking for. They walked into the kitchen and began opening doors and drawers. They pulled out everything they would need and haphazardly placed them on the counter. One of them set the oven to a high temperature that looked right. The other got out bowls and spoons. As she turned around with her tools she bumped into the other and dropped a bowl. It broke into several pieces and she whacked the other with the spoon in her hand several times.

Side by side they began to mix everything together. They picked out several eggs and smashed them into the bowl. The female opened the vanilla, but before she could pour it into the bowl, caught a whiff of the heavenly scent. She stood transfixed by the aroma. The male, realizing that the other wasn’t working tried to take the vanilla bottle out of her hand. She fought his move. The male jerked the bottle out of her hand and vanilla sprayed everywhere. They looked into the bowl and saw that some of it made it way into the bowl. The male shrugged his shoulders and tried to clean off the vanilla from his fur. The female moved closer and smelled him dreamily. He pushed her away and grunted roughly.

The male picked up the bag of sugar and began to pour its contents into the bowl while the female mixed. Suddenly, the oven bell went off to indicate the oven was ready and the male jumped. The bag of sugar went flying out of his hand and sugar rained down on the two bakers. The female looked around and shook her head. A litany of grunts and groans caused the male to turn slightly red in the face. He calmly went and picked up the bag of flour.

He brought the bag of flour to the bowl and proceeded to pour its contents into the bowl. The female stopped stirring abruptly and grabbed the bag, not wanting to see another explosion. The male grunted at her to let go of the bag and she refused. They both tugged on the bag until it ripped down the middle. Flour went everywhere. Both realized that very little fell into the bowl. They each shook out their fur into the bowl and gathered the fallen flour from the countertops. Soon, it looked like enough of the flour was in the bowl.

After finally pouring the milk in and stirring, the creatures poured the contents of the bowl into several small round pans and put them into the oven. Now to make the icing…

Anoril ran through the field, trying to catch a gorrillaphant. Wow, for such great lumbering creatures, they sure can run when playing a bit of tag. Finally he caught up to a small one that was making faces at him. He leapt forward and tagged the little one on the back and turned tail and ran. He ran through the grass as the smaller one pursued him. Suddnely it broke off its pursuit and chased another gorrillaphant. Anoril could hear the noises that the creatures were making and laughed to himself. He never imagined that the laughter of a gorrillaphant was so wonderful.

His brief stop to listen to the gorrillaphants got him into trouble. A rather large dark one was bounding his way and nothing was going to stop it from reaching Anoril. Anoril took of as fast as he could but the big guy caught up to him easily. The gorrillaphant tagged him so hard that Anoril was airbourne in a matter of seconds and heading for a tree. Seeing his mistake, the big guy ran under Anoril and reached up. He grabbed Anoril seconds before he would have met the tree personally and set Anoril on the ground. He then bounded off as the other gorrillaphants went crazy running around to get away from Anoril.

Anoril ran around the field for hours playing tag with the gorrillaphants. Eventually, everyone got tired and sat under a few trees. Anoril leaned up against one of the gorrillaphants and found himself getting sleepy. Soon, he was snoring along with the rest of the gorrillaphants.

The icing was a tricky adventure for the creatures. First they had to collect the rest of the sugar that had fallen all over the kitchen and put it into a saucepan. Then they added milk and a few other things they found in the kitchen. The female turned up the burner and waited for the concoction to begin to cook. After a while, she turned off the heat and let the stuff cool. She then poured some of the concoction into several bowls. The male squirted coloring into each bowl and then thought it was funny and squirted the female.

She, not thinking it was funny, hit him with the pan that she had been using to heat the sugar mixture for the icing. Not only did it hurt him, but it burned him also. He whimpered as he stepped away from the female. The oven bell chimed and the female took out the pans and set them on the counters to cool. The male, wanting to make sure they were done walked over to each pan and licked the top of the cake. Satisfied that the cake was springy he smiled at the female.

The male searched for a large platter and pulled everything out of the cabinets until he found one. As the male plopped each cake out of its pan, the female iced it. Soon, the cake had several layers and the creatures looked at each other triumphantly. The male looked outside and tapped the female on the shoulder. It was getting dark so they had to be ready. The male held the platter while the female navigated their way through the house.

Anoril woke up slightly groggy and looked around. He was alone in a field lying under a tree. He could have sworn there had been gorrillaphants there with him. He played tagged. He flew through the air and almost became part of a tree. He heard them laugh. They were there, he knows they were there. Yet, as he looked around he saw no trace of the gorrillaphants.

Sullenly, Anoril trudged home. They could have at least woken me up to say goodbye. Imean, they were real. I played with them. He smelled his clothes. Whew, wow, I definitely smell like them. But where did they go?

When he caught sight of his house, something was very wrong. He dashed to his front door and saw that not only was it open, but the door frame was broken. He cautiously opened the door and saw the family room was destroyed. Pictures were crooked and some were on the floor, glass cracked. The TV was busted beyond repair and the sofa was smashed. He continued to pick his way through the house. He looked into the kitchen and nearly passed out. Sugar, flour, milk, eggs and, he sniffed, vanilla everywhere. What is the world is going on here? As he ventured farther into the kitchen, he saw pans and dishes strewn everywhere.

As he surveyed the damage, he spotted something very peculiar on the floor. He saw what looked like large irregular tracks leading out of the kitchen. He followed the tracks through the hall. They seemed to lead to his room. He approached his door apprehensively, knowing that the tracks didn’t lead back out of his room. He turned the door handle and slowly opened the door. When it was finally opened he looked in. He nearly passed out at what he saw.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> AE Fanfiction >> DragonFable >> DF fanfic
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition