Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Elven Robot Taisen (For want of a better name)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> RE: Elven Robot Taisen (For want of a better name)
Page 2 of 2<12
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
10/18/2009 19:27:32   
Argeus the Paladin

Chapter 25
Tale of the F-System

“It's... not... over... yet... I am... the ruler... rightful ruler of Greenglaze... will bring it back to... its... former glory... won't end like this...”

“Of course it won't, Faerie-kun.”

Those words were followed by a soft, cool palm placed on the Elven prince's forehead. The abrupt sensation, comfortable as it was, caused his eyelids to twitch in an attempt to reopen as quickly as he could. There could have been no need to hasten, since the palm left his head as suddenly as it came. The coolness yet to leave his forehead at least managed to tune his sense back to action.

He was lying on a bed and covered with a warm blanket, that was for sure. His heavy eyes suggested that he must have slept a few hours too many. Finally, the smell of chemical in the air was extremely light, but distinct enough to tell Faegard of his location. In either world, being sent to a clinic too often was never a good thing.

It was difficult for him to even think of what had gotten him involved with the clinic yet again for a few seconds. His head was still swirling, his memories blurry, his waned strength still yet to recuperate. But there was one thing he still remembered. Casting too many spells without resting and completing the unhealthy combo with another cluster of medium-high level magic in quick succession was a very bad thing for a wizard's mental integrity. Not even a good reason couldn't exactly excuse his complete disregard of professional safety standard.

”Oh well,” Faegard mentally shrugged. ”Can't exactly get out of some fight of that caliber without losing anything...”

“Alright, Faerie-kun, enough sleep-talking,” the voice continued in a caring, yet cool and somewhat teasing tone right next to his ears. “You don't even have a fever. Save those words until you are absolutely sure you are going to die, wouldn't you?”

The warm breath blowing above his face bear the faint, yet refreshing fragrance of mint. If any of the pain in his cranium was still persisting, the combined effect of the hand, the voice, and the sweet breath was enough to temporarily negate it. As much as he enjoyed the company, something told him that staying down wouldn't be a very wise idea any longer.

A mild, yet stinging pain resounded in Faegard's head the moment he started regaining his touch again. Slowly he lifted his left eyelid, then his right, turning his head left and right a little, as if trying to shake off the pain. Still, his eyes was blurry, half from the pain and half from the long sleep. He could only guess his visitor from her voice, though it was already an easy task.

The first thing Faegard realized upon regaining his sight wasn't exactly a comfortable one any more. A couple of artificial brown hair dipped atop his cheek, brushing against his eyelids, tickling his skin just as the cool breath blew against his face. Aya was leaning against the bed and stooping over him as she spoke. Her face was barely a couple of inch from his, looking straight into his eyes, her hair forming some kind of a cover curtaining off the limited space between them. A mysterious smile bloomed on the Lieutenant's lips, one of both concern, relief and mischief all at the same time.

“Lieutenant Saionji?” he asked, his voice regaining vigor with each word spoken. Or rather, vigor came back to his voice by means of absolute awkwardness. “What are you...”

The elf was silenced by a quick kiss on the forehead. For a second, he thought he had touched a burning subject. A strange heat wave spread all over the point of contact, spreading down his cheeks, all the way to his neck, turning all within its wake into a shade of crimson. He tried to speak, but the heat wave somehow had locked his jaws solid, leaving it open in a rather ignoble stupor unfit for a prince.

The Lieutenant looked as if she was only waiting for that moment. Immediately she stood upright and covered her mouth. It didn't help much, as it was only less than five seconds before she burst out in full laughter. Her eyes looked teary as she laughed hard, as if she had never been allowed to before. If only Faegard had the least idea what was going on, Aya's hearty laughter itself was worth at least a good smile or two, but he didn't.

“Priceless, Faerie-kun, priceless!” she remarked between her gasps. “If only you could look at what you was like a second ago! Absolutely, hilariously priceless!”

“I don't know what you are talking about, and I don't think I exactly like the way this is going,” Faegard tried to stop her, “And last time I checked, my name was written down in the books as 'Faegard, not Faerie. I was not so diplomatically named to honor the fey population of my homeland, however it sounded likely.”

He sounded neither convincing nor convicting. Persuasion was a no-no when he tried to pull out a righteous speech with his speech pattern cluttered up with stammers and his expression ruined with an overall visage as red as a beetroot. If anything, he only made Aya laughed harder. It was not until the person in charge entered the room that order was restored somewhat.

“Lieutenant Saionji, this is a hospital!”

At the doorway of the cubicle stood a certain nurse with a mass of long, dark hair, with hands were planted firmly on her side, her eyes flared and her mouth twisted in a clear expression of displeasure. In full uniform, with a trolley in front of her, she appeared to be as professional in her trades as could be. However, being scary was not one of them, and incidentally what she was absolutely the worst at.

”That is why they say the gods and goddesses are unfair. Some women look absolutely hideous when they want to look cute. And some... the other way around.”

Had it not been for fear of rudeness towards the Nagoyaka princess, Faegard wouldn't have been able to hold that remark solely in his thoughts. But now that he had seen her, the elf was convinced that he was not the only one to admire her beauty even on the days she should wake up on the wrong side of the bed. Adding Lieutenant Saionji into the equation, the next line he thought of could only have been a logical conclusion.

Right, so I guess it's one hilarious comment from Lieutenant Saionji coming up next!”

But contrary to the logical conclusion, Aya's laughter waned instantaneously. A spark of seriousness rekindled in her eyes as her mouth returned to normal. Knowing what kind of identity Tsuki Nagoyaka had, such fearful response from even the most playful of person like the Lieutenant was only logical... or not.

“Sorry, Tsu-chan,” Aya smiled at the nurse. An understanding and compassionate smile, even. Effectively her move kicked the ball back to the nurse, as she awkwardly withdrew her quasi-fearsome facade, a reddish hue flaring on both her cheeks.

“No, I mean, err...” she stammered, her neck bent a little as her left feet tapped on the floor, “Saionji-san, please keep your voice down, that's all.”

And then she walked into the cubicle, stood in front of Faegard's bed and smiled at him.

“You are mostly okay, Elfblade-san,” she said. “Oh, and Captain Ritter and Kuro-kun would like to see you as long as you are ready. It's something important, they say.”

“I see,” Faegard nodded. “I must have troubled you and your colleagues while I was asleep, wasn't I?”

“It was nothing really, Elfblade-san,” Tsuki replied. “You've only been sleeping for about ten hours now. It's... nothing, really.”

Only then did Faegard have a chance to take a clearer look at the girl, only to let out a gasp of horror. Frankly speaking, the way her voice sounded and the state of her body did not match at all. Her voice was still lively, if not even more hyperactive than the last time they met, but her face said otherwise. Her eyes were sunken in, leaving two visible black marks below each. Her irises' color were bleak and bleached. And the paler tone of her skin, if anything, only confirmed that Tsuki had been undersleeping and overworking in the past few days they didn't meet. Knowing humans and how their bodies would stop working if they were unable to sleep for a whole third of a day, an inherent weakness that his people would often look down on, it didn't make any sense at all. He was about to voice out of concern when someone else did it for him.

“What's wrong, Tsu-chan?” Aya asked, holding the nurse by the shoulder as she stared at her unhealthy face. “You must have been working yourself sick again, aren't you?”

“I'm okay, really,” Tsuki answered cheerfully, but her face looked anything but. “Now if you would excuse me, Saionji-san. We have plenty of casualties to take care of these days.”

She was right, judging from the number of allied jets being reduced to smoldering meteorites over the sky during the fight and testified by the various, thought mild, groan and moans over the place. Still, it appeared to Faegard as if she was avoiding a conversation as he looked at her figure backing out of his cubicle. The complication didn't leave Faegard's head until Tsuki and her trolley had quietly shuffled along the corridor. And when it finally did, Aya's remark gave Faegard another one to think about

“This doesn't look right,” she said. “No, this is so wrong on so many levels, however I look at it.”

“What? What is wrong?” Faegard asked out of curiosity and some degree of concern. “You mean, this battle or Princess Nagoyaka?”

“There isn't actually even that hassle much about this battle. Sure, we lost around a hundred pilots and another forty or so is injured in various degrees, but that is all in a day's work,” Aya said, the ease at which she spit out the morbid fact was astounding. “Tomorrow, it may be Kuro, Captain, even you or I. It's war. We've learn to live with it and have our own way to adjust,” she paused, supporting her chin with her left hand as she raised her eyebrows, thinking hard. “But Tsuki's case is another, entirely different story altogether.”

“You also saw it, Lieutenant?” Faegard asked.

“She doesn't look right, talk right,... and smell right,” Aya continued, looking quite furious as she spoke. “It isn't like the last few times – this is apparently some potent drugs they've used on her.”

“Did you say... drugs?” Faegard gasped in horror. “You mean, something like dried blackadder venom boiled with bellgrass roots and prepared with a Hypnotize Creature spell with an effect a dozen times stronger than Dwarven Thunderale and can cause a plethora of ill side effect from nausea, hallucination, potential insanity and yet anyone hooked to it is unable to give up how strong their will is?”

“I wish,” Aya shook her head. “Knowing Tsu-chan... narcotics are far better for her health than the kind of stuffs they give her. All the time.”

“What?”

“She is different from us all – she doesn't have to adjust herself to the life of war. She joined the army to adjust to her existing problems in the first place when the war waltzed in on us. As if she wasn't already suffering all the time,” Aya said, as if talking to herself to vent her own dismay. “But no, they just have to make life more difficult for her. Some really nice people they are.”

“Join the war to solve her own issues?” Faegard rolled his eyes. “Well, I hope that's not because of the same reason I've been thinking about...”

“Wait, what? I've been speaking all the time?”

The look on Aya's face at that time would have been hilarious according to her definition, but it absolutely wasn't to her. Her eyes opened wide, her mouth a little, and the way she stared at Faegard was somewhat frightened and regretful. And with that expression, she was left in a trance for a good half a minute, to Faegard's perplexity

“Lieutenant?” Faegard asked in concern.

“Okay, Faerie-kun,” Aya said pleadingly, sitting down on his bed and placed both hands on his shoulders. “Never mind what I have let loose just now, alright? Promise me to forget it, and don't tell anyone whatever happens, alright?”

“My apologies, Lieutenant,” Faegard shook his head a little. “An elf's promise is effective for as long as he is alive or otherwise canceled, which means several centuries or sometimes longer. It is imprudent for us to promise everything and anything at a whim.”

There was a brief silence of displeasure. Aya's eyes twitched, and so did the twin strands of hair protruding over her mass of brown hair. Her forehead wrinkled, perhaps from calculation, disappointment, or both. But there was one thing Faegard knew – her eyes were especially convicting and disapproving, as nothing more than a single gaze from her cold, sharp eyes sent a freezing chill up his spines.

“Lieutenant, I'm sorry. I take back what I said,” Faegard promptly retracted his terms. “Take it this way then. I need a justification. Tell me why I have to keep a secret.”

For a second, Aya's gaze read 'I'm not sure if I should forgive you just yet,' bringing another chill to shiver the poor elf.

“I could say Tsuki's tale is as good as a military secret at this stage, which is true. I could also say they would evict you from the army if you fail to keep it secret and take your ticket home from you, or worse, imprison or dispose of you, which can also be true,” Aya finally said. “But... I trust you, that's all.”

“Trust me?” Faegard asked back in astonishment.

“If you think of Tsuki and me as friends, or something just slightly less,” she continued at a much lower tone, “or something just slightly... more,” at this point it was reduced to barely a whisper, as if she wouldn't care whether the elf understood her or not, “you will keep it a secret. Her secret... will permanently shatter her life, or worse, if more people know. You wouldn't honestly want anything bad to happen to her, would you?”

Faegard didn't even have to wait until Aya finished her speech before he gave a nod of approval. Having now regained control of his limbs, the elf then raised up from the bed, stood in attention in front of the Lieutenant, and raised his hand above his head.

“If that is the case, then it is decided,” and formally declared. “I, Faegard Thunderwood Elfblade, son of King Elladin Frostbriar Elfblade of the Kingdom of Greenglaze, hereby swear upon the name of the holy deities, my bloodline, the sovereignty of the kingdom and the heritage of the Elven people of Greenglaze, that I will not, be it willful or by deceit, for the sake of myself, the deities or my people, to friends or foes, elves, humans or dwarves, feys or outsiders, gods or goddesses, reveal anything that Lady Ayaka Saionji had unwillingly informed me today about Lady Tsuki Nagoyaka, her family, friends, foes or anything related thereof. Should I break this holy oath, may I suffer a most horrible of deaths, may my name ever be tarnished in the noble records of my noble people like that of the most despicable of criminals, and may my soul ever be tormented under the endless wretch of the Nine Hells!”

His oath was met with no answer whatsoever. When he turned to the Lieutenant, she was in a confused stupor, like an uninitiated being having just stumbled upon the vast wisdom of the Great Library of the Ancients.

“Lieutenant Saionji?” Faegard asked, shaking Aya's shoulders with all his strength. Still, it took him a couple of seconds before he could bring her back to reality.

“That... is your promise?” her face looked like it was torn between admiring and ridiculing Faegard's long speech, resulting in an even more perplexed look. “Do you realize I don't understand half of what you just said out there?”

“I'm a member of the elven royalty of Greenglaze,” Faegard explained. “Naturally, the hereditary power in the hands of my family means that our promises can't be taken lightly. It is customary of all my promises to be thusly sworn in the name of the gods, and... it wouldn't be nice if I break it, you heard it.”

“That is... a little overkill, isn't it?” Aya asked, her eyes showed apparent dread. “Is the sort of things you called upon going to...”

“Happen to me should I accidentally tell someone? Well, think nothing of it. And I do mean that literally,” Faegard smiled at his superior. “You know, I don't have any intention to spill the beans anyways.”

“But...”

“You told me earlier, Lieutenant Saionji,” Faegard gave a broad smile. “You are something more than just friends to me.”

Captain Ein's quarter was not in its best hours when Faegard arrived there. Although the room had escaped the fiercest of battle without taken a direct hit, a long range cannon shot piercing the hull just five yards below had seriously wracked the room's frame. Most of the electrical equipment in the room was offline as a result, and the rest of Squad 12 considered themselves lucky to be able to talk under a dim, fickle low-output light. Which, Faegard could add, the Captain's smile was brighter than. The Captain, who had got his machine blown nearly to oblivion, and had at least a broken arm and a couple of cracked rib that would possibly not heal before a week, judging from his bandages, that was.

Einherjar Ritter was sitting on his bed alone, naturally, with his laptop side-by-side when Faegard and Aya entered the room. From the way he abruptly shut his machine with an audible slam, the elf almost got a feeling that they were intruding on Ein's privacy somewhere along the way. The man didn't seem to be overly disturbed, though, as he quickly pointed to the two chairs next to the bed.

“Welcome, guys,” he said, in a voice rather too cheerful for someone that badly injured. “Sorry I couldn't arrange for something better, but you know the drill.”

“Don't expect much from a bachelor who doubles as a soldier and anime otaku, yes,” Aya giggled as she pulled the elf into the room, striding towards Ein's place. “You seriously need to get a girl, Captain!”

“That would naturally interfere with both my job and my hobby. Request turned down,” replied Ein with a mischievous undertone as he sat upright.

“Sorry for intruding, sir” Faegard said and meant what he said quite literally.

“Taken a lesson in Japanese culture already, haven't you?” beamed the Captain as he glanced at the duo. “Good job out there, recruit!”

“Err...”

The way he spoke made it impossible for Faegard to make out whether he was joking or totally serious with his words. The second possibility seemed much more viable, though.

“Oh well, never mind,” the captain was about to shrug, if his bandaged arm didn't ended up hindering that gesture. Instead, on his face strung an extremely awkward grimace of sudden pain.

“Are you alright, sir?” Faegard hastily asked.

“Not much worse than you, I believe,” Ein smirked. “I've told that Zakawa Black, and I will tell you just as well. I will die someday, but before that, it's hard to keep me down. VERY hard.”

“Ein, where's Kuro?” Aya asked her superior, looking around the room. “You said he will wait for us with you, didn't you?”

“For some reasons, he was no longer... interested,” Ein replied. “But whatever he needs to know I have already filled him in,” he gazed at the elf. “So this effectively leaves only you out of the loop, Faegard.”

“I must have dozed off way longer than usual, sir,” Faegard said apologetically. “Did I miss out something major while I was absent?”

“What can I say?” Ein looked at the elf from top to bottom, amused by his genuine curiosity and enthusiasm. His voice was still far from serious as he began speaking. “Ten hours aren't all that much, you know. Barely enough to watch an average-length series, without intro or ending,” at that point, he started to look more serious. “But today is a special day. I can just say that in the past ten hours, we have completed more than what we've been doing for the past week. Had I been able to actively participate in it, I'd have had no regret.”

“Did something happen, sir?” Faegard leaned towards his captain excitedly.

“Long story short, the Uchuu no Tsubasa is ours. Or at least, 95% of it,” declared Ein. “We have secured both the research and development team that is in charge of its construction and primary service and the necessary papers. As well as the deepground subway leading to the hangar. And secured the launch path.”

“But what about the ship itself?” Faegard inquired. “I suppose we've gotten hold of it now, haven't we?”

“Not yet,” Ein smirked. “There is a reason why I said 95%. There's a little complication, of course. Recovering the ship itself will require a task team to take control of it and make a break for it. Out of the middle of an enemy-controlled area. In broad daylight. Within the range of well a hundred anti-air/anti-space turrets of various sizes and outputs.”

“Which means that the battleship's power source is a...” Aya snapped her finger.

“Solar-powered core, yes,” nodded Ein. “Just like the Daimyo, making it rather unsound to attempt to launch it in the middle of the night.”

“Not recovering the ship itself makes the job 95% done?” Faegard blurted in disbelief. “Why this... faulty logic, sir?”

“If you were in the shoes of the leaders, you would know that the blueprint itself if more important than the ship,” Ein shook his head.

“Precisely, the leaders of the Union does not particularly trust us that much.”

A cold chill ran down Faegard's spines when he realized the presence of the fourth voice in the room following a much quieter sound of the door opening and closing. Quickly turning back to the doorway, Faegard took a firsthand view of the newcomer, and he didn't like that one bit.

The newcomer was dressed in white from top to toe. White shoes, white pants, white longcoat, even white hair and beard to go with. A pair of glasses adorned his eyes, since his age was probably not cutting his eyes any slack. He was slender and seemingly meek, his face pale, his sunken-in cheek and high forehead gave out a mild skull-like analogy. One of his legs was shivering every other step he took, and his bony, shaking hands had to clasp together as he walked. Everything about the look of his visage screamed lich at the highest pitch possible. And yet, in his bespectacled eyes burnt the fierce flame of knowledge, without even the least bit of malice or addiction. That was the sign of a true scholar who studied for the sake of knowledge rather than power, a dying breed throughout the various realms of Mediava.

He would have resembled an elder, venerable practitioner of the arcane art better had it not been for the particularly unnerving aura around him. A kind of aura that could easily deceive an inexperienced paladin into mistaking its owner for evil, even if he were anything but. But a wizard like Faegard had learnt too well about that kind of syndrome to jump to a paladin's hasty conclusion.

“Professor!” Ein exclaimed in horror as he sprang out of his bed towards the person in question. Taking the man's clasped hands, the Captain quickly supported him towards the nearest chair and sat him down. Only when he was seated did he stop shivering somewhat, his two clasped hands relaxed. But once every few seconds, his left knee would still jerk up for some unknown reason.

“You needn't have, Einherjar,” the man said in a friendly manner, as if trying to subvert his haunted-sounding voice resounding in an odd way across the room in a manner similar to a banshee's cry. “You are the injured one in this room. I'm only an old man who can't control his limbs as well as he'd like.”

“Professor, you shouldn't have walked all the way from your room up here!” Ein sounded much more anxious than he was usually. “Heck, you aren't even that well to begin with! I said I will take the group to see you once we're through with the basics!”

The newcomer was about to answer Ein when he was interrupted by Faegard's inquisitive eyes, gazing at him from top to toe.

“Sunken eyes and cheeks. Weak and cold hands and feet. But more importantly, mental fatigue to the point of permanently scarring the capability to use magic, no, to even live normally. You... must have suffered from chronic stagnant magic into the last stage,” Faegard mumbled as he finished his examination. “Only those so direly in need of magic and yet so atrociously deprived of it can have that sort of presence. Who ARE you exactly?”

“So that is how the people in your world refers to the ailment that my kind have been suffering from since time immemorial,” the bearded professor said. “And yet I am still convinced that there would still be no cure from this distant, unknown world of yours.”

“You know about me?” Faegard asked hastily.

“Naturally, Captain Ritter had taken the convenience to inform me about the presence of a magic-wielding elf from a world far away,” explained the professor. “We will have to work together for a long time, Mr. Elfblade.”

“Who is this man, Ein?” Aya also voiced her question, looking very uneasy, before turning to the person himself and asked out of considerateness. “Are you okay, sir? I... I don't think you feel too well, do you?”

“Ah, I forgot to introduce,” Ein said as he returned to his seat. “This is...”

“May I have the pleasure, Captain,” the man interrupted. “The name is Dr. Friedrich L. Banner, Professor, Ex-Dean of the Australian National University's Applied Metaphysics Faculty, or may I call it... magic to fit your understanding, Mr. Elfblade.”

“You are a researcher of magic?” Faegard exclaimed in glee. “Never did I expect to find someone of my profession in this world as well!”

Applied Magic, that is,” Professor Banner shook his head. “Magic and how it can be used to fuel and bolster various aspects of life, up to and including the apex – wars.”

“Dr. Banner here is also the chief designer and engineer of the Uchuu no Tsubasa, the first Union battleship that can theoretically run on magic,” Ein added. “I'm sorry not having informed all of you before, but some information just can't be spread around before the time is due.”

The next moment saw the room reigned in silence, as both of the listeners were dumbfounded at the revelation.

“I... I just can't believe that there are those who can use magic in our own world,” Aya finally said in utter disbelief. “I thought the whole magic, witchcraft and wizardry school was just a fantasy drawn by a very imaginative mind...”

“Wait a second,” Faegard followed up. “It is next to impossible for any human to naturally learn to use magic. The only exception is to be mentored by an elf and with plenty of luck involved. So how can you pull that off in a world that is not even populated by anything but humans?”

“You are right,” the professor nodded. “Naturally, humans can't use magic. No, most of them doesn't even know it exists, and those who know may not even believe in it at all. But I am not.”

“Then what are you?” Faegard rolled his eyes.

The wise man clasped his hands again, resuming his rhythmic shivering, as if faced by something bothersome.

“I am, or should I say, used to be a member of the Crimson Society,” he said with a sigh, “the gathering of scientists of the vampire kind, sponsored by the colonial government before the First War. In other words, I happen to be a vampire who practice magic as well as science and dabbles in the polymerization of both.”

His reveal didn't seem to be a very wise option, since 'horror' didn't even begin to describe the look on the face of both his audience at that moment.

“V... v... vampire?” Aya jerked in horror, jumping backward from her chair, nearly knocking it down. Next thing she knew, she was holding up her sidearms and pointing it at the wiry professor, her hands shaking, her face terrified, just like a would-be victim in a standard slasher film. Faegard's reaction was not much less violent, audibly chanting a combat spell, so that his palms flared up in a threatening glow.

“Not one more step, then, creature of the night,” Faegard called out in standard paladin practice. “Let the gods in the higher heaven judge you and your blasphemous existence!”

“Everyone, everyone, calm down!” Ein sprang up, standing between the two disturbed soldiers. “Professor Banner here would do us no harm!”

“You are standing by a vampire, Captain?” Faegard didn't lower his hand, even though the channeling spell was pointing right at his commander's chest. “What sort of blasphemy is this?”

“There is a huge chance he will just bite out necks off, Ein!” Aya shrieked.

The next thing Ein did seemed to make no sense whatsoever. He clonked his two subordinates on the skull with his only knuckle one after the other, causing an audible sound in each case. While Aya was clutching her head, Ein snatched the gun from her hand with utter triviality, and the knock itself was enough to disengage Faegard from chanting any more of his dangerous incantations.

“You, miss,” Ein told Aya, his voice hardly discernible between jest and chastising. “How many times have I told you and Princess Nagoyaka to cut down on fluffy vampire novels that isn't even accurate for the love of whatever deities there are?”

“And you, sir,” Ein turned to the elf, shaking his head, his tone now added with a large amount of amusement. “You've just proven the 'lawful stupid Paladin beating the crap out of any non-lawful non-good creature' myth right to an extent. You Pallies do need to ease up once every so often, indeed.”

“But...” the duo responded in unison.

“That's alright, Captain Ritter,” the professor said before Ein could get another word in. “I could have lived with keeping this away from the rest of your 12th Squad, but since we will have to work together, a mutual trust is required.”

“As if I can trust an undead,” Faegard roared.

“As if I were an undead,” Professor Banner calmly said. “If I were one, you, as the magic user you boasted, capable of sensing any reanimation or soulbinding magic in the vicinity, you should have been able to tell right off the bat, shouldn't you?”

The professor's observation stunned Faegard for a couple of seconds.

“I... well, I can't sense anything that vile about you, but...”

“There are a lot of myths and misconceptions about our kind, and two-cent novels don't help our cause much,” Professor Banner continued. “I would have to spend whole days to clarify those misconceptions to you all, but I'm afraid we don't have the time or the patience right now.”

“Let's make it this way,” Ein continued, patting his two subordinates on the shoulders. “Colonel Albert knows about the professor's identity. So does Kuro's father. So does the Captain of this ship. So do many of the high-ranking top brass all around the world with proper clearance. And so do I. Have any of us taken any dramatic action? No. Shouldn't it be self-explanatory?”

The next few seconds passed with Aya and Faegard looking at each other, then at the professor, then their captain, and finally back at themselves. Not a word was uttered while the Captain and the vampire professor sat calmly, waiting for an answer.

“Well, the fact that you can enter Ein's room without asking for permission would mean you are far different from the vampires I know,” Aya sighed. “As long as you don't bite me, I can care less.”

“But I've got my eyes on you, sir,” Faegard said with a clear-cut conviction. “If you try anything funny enough, keep in mind I am a Paladin besides being a wizard.”

“That I can swear,” nodded the professor with a smile. “Since, after all, I have a deal I would like to strike with you.”

“A deal?” Faegard asked. “First of all, remember that I am still wrestling with my inner conscience whether I can talk to you, let alone trust you.”

“Even if it has to do with a way to get you home?” smirked the professor.

Saying that those words had touched the elf's sensitive spot was an understatement. Faegard's eyes shone while the rest of his face froze solid, faced with some news too good to be true.

“A way... to get me home?” Faegard spoke cautiously, trying to withhold his excitement. “Are you sure about this?”

“How sure would you like?” the professor asked back. “Warping between planes is already an unpredictable job, you should have known this already. Warping between different worlds, or, in the worst case, different parallel universes, is several powers of magnitude worse. Even with the technology we have, there is never a certainty.”

“Well...” Faegard shuddered a little at the idea. “Actually, Colonel Albert has already...”

“I am working under the Colonel's bid, with some degree of freedom albeit,,” reassured the professor. “On my part, I can offer you a lot more in exchange for one minor condition.”

“And what may that be?”

“I want this war to end as soon as possible,” the Professor said. “The longer it prolong, the more the F-System will stray from its original purpose.”

“You speak about the F-System?” Faegard asked back. “But I'm afraid I don't even know that much about it to consider what you are speaking. What it is for, who can use it, heck, not even what it is. And not even the Captain knows it. I can't bargain with something I don't have the slightest idea about.”

“Very well then,” the professor said. “I will tell you what you need to know about the F-System in order to carry out your duties.”

“I have guessed from what I've learnt from it,” Faegard stated. “Apparently it is a system that manipulates and amplify magic. An advanced technology several millenia superior to what we have where I come from, may I add.”

“Wrong,” the professor dismissed. “You seem to be a wizard well-versed in the theory of magic. Would you please tell me, then, what is magic? Why is it that only a selected few can use it while others sit around drooling at their awesome prowess?”

“Because magic is a form of energy dwelling directly in the interior body. May it be gained naturally, via meditation, communication with celestial beings, deities, or even the dead, studious learning and practice, or even by exotic means and practices, the root is the same,” Faegard said without even having to think. “But the root itself is not as important as the mental capacity of the possessor. It is the power of the mind that forges tis energy form to the point where it can distort reality the way the caster see fit. Even if that power is there, without proper practice and learning, someone with potent magic may end up never casting a spell in the whole of their life. That is why most humans cannot use magic, while their body may have what it takes, they lack the mental capacity to actually execute this power into the tangible form of spells.”

“As expected from a wizard,” nodded the professor in applause. “Yes, that is what magic is like in a nutshell. Alas, this power and lack thereof is the downfall of my people.”

“The downfall of... your people?” Aya asked back. “Do you mean the vampires?”

“Girl, stop and think for a second,” Professor Banner turned to her. “Why is it that our appearance is always portrayed in folklore as charming, charismatic, bloodsucking, magic-wielding complete monsters? It is not to project a niche in the populace's mindset of horror into a tangible mythical figure. It is because that's reality. Not entirely accurate, but part of reality nonetheless.”

The professor then looked at Faegard for a few seconds, and then said.

“Effectively, we vampires are what you elves would be like if you cannot generate magic naturally.”

“That is disastrous!” Faegard exclaimed. “Without magic to hold our body together, our – no, every living being's corporeal body will start to deteriorate extremely quickly. There are more than enough direct and indirect consequences to this to kill one in the most painful ways imaginable, given enough time!”

“Incidentally, human blood is also a source of rich magic,” continued the professor. “It is estimated that an average human has the magic output potential sufficient to level a two-storey building three times over, everyday. 90% of this potential output is locked in the source of their life – blood. What is the most logical conclusion would this reap us, a race that cannot generate our own magic to sustain our very livelihood?”

“You suck blood,” Faegard snapped his finger.

“Precisely. That is the way our people had always lived. And probably our one single biggest flaw.”

“Because you lot kill humans for a living and thus are complete monsters in the eye of the public?” Aya hastily asked. “Since it is necessary for your survival, you cannot even stop.”

“No, young lady. Contrary to popular belief, not all of us have the capability of directly feeding on human blood. 95% of us don't even have the fangs so well associated with us. And only a tiny fraction of the remaining 5% can actually process sucked blood so as to most efficiently convert blood into raw magic.”

“That means...”

“Yes,” the professor bent his neck. “The only bloodsuckers, the most famous of which had been portrayed with questionable accuracies by folklore, are also the most powerful of us all – vampire lords. Our people had to depend on them for our livelihood, since they are the ones who distribute our much-needed magic to the populace. Naturally these lords get the lion's share of their harvest, and all of those obscenely overpower the average human, even the average vampire.”

“It is an extremely feudal economic model,” Ein remarked. “Not going to work well, I suppose.”

“No, it worked fairly well for a couple of millenia,” the professor asserted. “Since, the average vampire doesn't even need that much magic to simply live. The lords can have all they want as long as we ordinary vampires don't starve of magic. And so for centuries, everything was fine. Every year, a few thousand humans all over the world would perish due to 'unforeseen circumstances'. Every year, a few millions of us vampires would carry on living. It is more or less a parasitic existence, but we all have to live.”

“Suddenly it doesn't sound as morally ambiguous as it used to any more,” Aya said.

“We could have kept living like that until the Armageddon or Ragnarok or Gotterdamerung, whatsoever they call it. But things don't happen that easily,” the professor continued. “The turning point was the 20th century.”

“The Second Industrial Revolution,” Ein clapped in realization. “Suddenly, you vampires can no longer keep up with our scientific progress any more to waltzing around and whisking away a few thousand humans every year for consumption without any retribution.”

“When a powerful vampire lord is gunned to shreds by an anti-riot squad's assault rifles without even a chance to fight back, we realized that our doom was abound,” continued the vampire professor, his tone sullen. “All of a sudden, we were threatened with extinction through mass starvation.”

“That's a fine tale,” Faegard asked rather impatiently. “But what does this has to do with the F-System?”

“If you were the one in charge, my friend, what would you have done?” asked the professor.

“Either find a cure to this syndrome or use violence,” Faegard said without pausing to think. “If my people is threatened with extinction by whatever reason, I will personally lead my loyal soldiers into battle against our enemies. What we can't earn peacefully and rightfully will be handed to us on the negotiation table if we fight hard enough.”

“Yes. By the turn of the 24th century, we were at our absolute worst. Not a single year had passed without a fraction of our people starving of magic to death. Our population by then was barely a tenth of what it used to be in the early 19th century. And that is what our leaders planned to carry out – an all-out war against humanity.”

“Too little, too late,” Ein said.

“True that,” continued the professor. “It was a geno-suicidal idea at best – our fickle magic was the only weapon we had, and to counter that, humans had Mechanized Frames. A vampire lord on his own device won't last five seconds under the firepower of a then-modern Sanger-class MFF.”

“What happened next?” Aya asked.

“That is where a scientist named V. J. Laurent came into the stage. A vampire who had spent the past few decades dabbling in various fields of theoretical and applied science, she was able to propose her two permanent solutions to our problems. Namely, artificial blood and...”

“The F-System?” Ein guessed.

“Exactly,” professor Banner answered. “This is where my explanation to you come from, Mr. Elfblade. The F-System, or Falcon System, so named because its creator placed so much hope that it will help our people soar to the high sky as a species like a fearless falcon, is more than just a MF control interface. It's core function lies in the ability to convert various forms of conventional energy into magic and vice versa. For example, electricity, heat or radiation energy, with sufficient input from the controller, will be immediately and efficiently converted into magic – the 'food' that our people had been starved of for so long.”

“WHAT?”

Next thing Faegard knew, he was already standing, leaned towards the professor, his chair having collapsed behind him. The astonishment was too great to be concealed, however he tried to control himself.

“Does that kind of miracle exist?” Faegard asked hastily, full of enthusiasm.

“You've seen it yourself,” the professor said. “Any and every spell you have cast while sitting in the Shishioh's cockpit, including the battle this morning, used not your own magic reserve, but rather spontaneously converted the Shishioh's output into a virtually endless pool for you to use. In reverse, your magic was also converted into fueling the Shishioh's F-Barrier. It went both ways, turning the machine and its pilot into invincible war machines.”

“Then why is it a bad thing?” Faegard went on. “Having infinite magic reserve is the dream of each and every wizard to have ever lived!”

“The keyword is 'misuse', my friend,” a sad undertone lined Dr. Banner's voice. “Had the F-System been used as intended, everything could have been solved. Our people would have lived happily ever after, maybe even in peace with the humans we have been feeding on for eternity. Had it not been for the hawkish decision of the vampire lords' council this utopia would have been here right now.”

“And their decision was?” Faegard questioned.

“To form the Crimson Society,” the professor said. “A scientific society charged with researching the F-System and devise the most devastating uses for it in warfare. As for the people, only a token amount of effort was placed in utilizing the System as an alternative food source, so that they wouldn't starve as badly as they would usually. A great disappointment doesn't even begin to summarize how the creator felt, seeing her brainchild abused like that. And my mother lived her last years like that – in sorrow and despair.”

“You mean that V. J. Laurent is...”

“I am proud to call her Mother,” the professor closed his eyes in reminiscence. “Not everyone was born to a strong woman who took the fate of her people into her own hands and struggled till her last breath to see the future of her kind come true.”

With a long sigh, the professor continued.

“It's fifty years since my mother died. The task of setting right what once went wrong is now in my hands,” he turned to Faegard. “That is the nature of the F-System and its derivative. Now, whether it can be used to save lives or take even more lives depend on how this war ends. I place my wager on the Global Union Army and the likes of you, my friend,” his eyes locked on Faegard's a pleading look filled its hollow. “Will you lend me a hand, Mr. Elfblade?”

DF  Post #: 26
10/18/2009 19:28:53   
Argeus the Paladin

Chapter 26
Cruel Friendlies Thesis

Maybe it was just Faegard's overblown imagination, but the Shishioh did look somewhat different the next time he saw it in the hangar. It was not the paintwork or any periphery decorations that had been changed. The machine itself seemed almost alive, with a magical signature of its own he could pick up even before seeing it face to face. For a second, Faegard thought standing before him was a titanic wizard of steel rather than the machine he had been used to occupying for the last few weeks.

Awed by the changes, Faegard didn't pay attention to a couple of shadows sliding behind him. The quick pat on the shoulder the next second from behind nearly stopped his heart. Turning back, he was an inch from giving out an ignoble high-pitched scream when he was met with Einherjar Ritter's signature carefree smile.

“Captain!” Faegard exclaimed, holding his chest. “You've had me back there!”

“You're spacing out far more often than I thought,” Ein gave out a loud cackle as he glanced at his protege. And then his eyes met the obvious – the Shishioh and the new impressions it gave.

“I suppose Professor Banner had installed the new equipment into the Shishioh, hadn't he?”

“Yes, sir,” Faegard replied. “Fortunately the box wasn't damaged in any way after staying in my cockpit for so long. It took him only ten minutes or so.”

“Mmm... looks neat,” Ein remarked. “Did he tell you what it was for?”

“Strange,” Faegard bent his neck, pondering. “I thought he had told you about it, sir. All what he told me was something alone the lines of 'you will know what to do when the time comes'.”

“Ah, I see,” Ein nodded. “That is Professor Banner for you. If he could keep anything mysterious and cryptic for other people to melt their brains out guessing, he could.”

“Then it must be a very verbose streak out there for him yesterday,” Faegard remarked.

“Perhaps it was that he had found someone to entrust his secrets to,” Ein said with much understanding. “But that is understandable given who he is.”

“I see,” Faegard left his head hanging downward with the same notion going through his mind. “I wouldn't have tolerated a defector like him normally. The fact that he did make me tolerate and understand him even... that's saying something.”

“Not to mention the fact that half of the Crimson Society died owing, directly or not, to his capitulation to the Union side twelve years ago,” Ein smiled, a bitter look ran through his face briefly. “Even though the victors of this war get to rewrite history as they think fit, the old man will go down in the history book of any side as a filthy, honorless, money-grabbing backstabber.”

“Then I'll take it as my responsibility to have his motive be made clear to the world,” Faegard declared. “You see, Captain, even in the most simplistic of reasoning, he had given me a better odd to return home. I should be able to do at least that much for him.”

“Not to sound like a jerk, Faegard, but we'll have to see to that in the next battle,” Ein said, his face turned back to a stoic expression. “There is a fair chance the 12th Mechanized Frame Squadron will suffer its most humiliating defeat today.”

“One might wonder what kind of defeat we may suffer from, sir,” Faegard disagreed, “given that our mission was just to hold the remaining Confederate soldiers where they are.”

Faegard couldn't say he hadn't memorized the battle plan since last midnight. The overall plans of the crews of the Alexander and the remaining reinforcement from Osaka was to keep the Confederate Daimyo holed up in Tokyo's central district at all cost. While the battle there would be fought, the infiltration team will ride the deepground subway to man the newly-finished Uchuu no Tsubasa, start the engine and take off. The staring up of the titanic battleship would, understandably, take at least several hours. Compared to the last few days and the absurd amount of fire they had had to endure, that 'empty everything you have at them and make sure they shiver in the cover' mission sounded like a walk in the park.

“That is the kind of psyche I would not want you to be in before this,” Ein said with a headshake of displeasure. “War in this era is won not by superior firepower, charismatic leadership or even sound tactics, but aces. The last war had seen some of the most flawlessly scheduled and executed battle plans to fail in the last minutes, just because some aces decided they would like to screw everything up.”

“Aces? Don't we have some of our own, sir?” Faegard questioned. “We have you, Corporal Renzoku and Lieutenant Saionji as well...”

“If only I didn't have this,” Ein knocked on the plaster on his broken arm in dismay. “And both Kuro and Aya are no match for the person at the helms of the entire Colonial army in the far east.”

“Do they have someone that skilled, sir?” Faegard asked, anxiety started to build up in his mind.

“The name is Elvaht von Krieger. Remember it,” Ein said each word emphatically, “for this man is, no doubt, the only person in the Confederate rank to be able to best me fair and square.”

“Then I look forward to this challenge, Captain.”

The duo turned back to see a pilot, already in full combat gear, complete with helmet and joint paddings, standing before them. The opaque glass of his helm blocked his face somewhat, but Kurogane Renzoku's eyes still shone through the surface with all due conviction.

“I have never had to tell you this, Kuro,” Ein said, his face stern with concern, “but this battle is not the same as the ones you've fought until now. Elvaht von Krieger is certainly capable of blowing up your new Hiryuu Shinkiro before you can lock him on. He is just that good.”

“I have always sought more powerful foes over and over again, Captain,” Kuro nodded, his voice sounding rather bitter. “And I will triumph over every single one of them. It is for my country, my people, my own honor and... and...”

He didn't seem to be quite able to spit out the last word in front of the duo. It was only when he was turning away from them, his face hidden by the cheekplate of his helmet that he could spit it out.

“...and my father's expectation.”

His voice was troubled with a duality anyone could see through. On one hand, it sounded like he was unable to come to terms with what he had just said. On the other, as if he was willing to put everything on the line to make that proposition come true. In the end, it wasn't clear what his inclination truly was.

“Kuro!”

A hand from behind reached for the young man's ear, apparently looking for a good pinch. The helmet got in the way, so the hand instead rolled into a knuckle and knocked him on the cranium. Behind Kuro's form, the owner of the hand emerged – the brown-haired beauty of the team, also in full combat equipment.

“What kind of nonsense are you spouting again, Kuro?” Aya knocked on his helm multiple time, her face twisted in annoyance. She then turned to the two other members of the group and said apologetically.

“Sorry there, you two,” she spoke. “Looks like Colonel Renzoku had just sent my ototo a little 'encouragement' before the big day.”

“I see,” Ein looked at Kuro from top to bottom, before opening his mouth. “If that's the case, I still advise you to keep your calm. He is your father after all – anything he do to you must be in the hope that you will become a better person.”

“But I know that!” Kuro snapped. “He just doesn't have to... I... I... Damn!”

His last incoherent words were concluded with Kuro clonking his head with his knuckle in desperation. This time, Faegard felt he couldn't stand in the sidelines any more.

“Hey there,” Faegard walked towards the demoted Sergeant. “I don't know what had happened to you and your father, but...”

“If you can, try not to be a high-and-mighty holier-than-thou pastor,” Kuro said with the most acerbic tone he could whip up. “I'm tired of people telling me not to do this and not to do that because of this and that already.”

“Can I just say a brief 'thank you' then?”

The off-topicness of Faegard's comment knocked all those present off their defense. Kuro's eyes opened wide, his sharp look at Faegard nearly pierced the semi-transparent visor itself. His mouth stayed blankly agape for a few moment, the correct word to say having escaped his mind somewhat.

“Thank... thank me?” he finally got down to speaking. “For what?”

“For being a reliable teammate in the last battle,” Faegard said, his crystal clear eyes and his friendly outstretched palm reinforcing his sincerity. “If it is at all possible, would you like to keep working with me like that? We will make a great team, I reckon!”

For a moment Kuro looked like he was about to say a loud 'yes', if only out of pure appreciation, in every single language he knew. But something was holding him back for some reason, and Kuro ended up rolling his fist just an inch from Faegard's open palm.

“I'll see to it,” was the only words to have escaped his lips as he turned from Faegard.

“That's rude, Kuro!” chastised Aya. “You could have at least...”

“It's almost time, Onee-san,” Kuro said, void of any emotion. “You had better report to your machine too. Today is going to be a long, long day.”

“But...”

“Please go somewhere else, Onee-san,” Kuro repeated, somewhat cross. “I want to keep my mind clear for now.”

Before any of his teammates could response, Kuro had walked towards Faegard and stuffed a piece of paper into his hand. Without even looking at the elf's face again, the grumpy Corporal walked away.

“That's for you,” he said in between his paces, his back facing the elf. “Oh, and if you go off in a blaze of glory today for any reason, don't worry. I'll take care of the Shishioh nicely in your stead, I promise.”

“Kurogane Renzoku! Come back here at once!” exclaimed Aya angrily. “What kind of trash are you talking about?”

“Sorry, Onee-san,” Kuro replied half-heartedly. “I'm tired. Give me a break.”

His pace hastened the further he walked from the trio, and when he finally vanished behind the mechanized frames around the corner, he was virtually running. Only Faegard, Ein and Aya were left behind, the last apparently having steam coming out of her ears.

“That... idiot!” she snapped, throwing her fist on the nearby wall. “If only I could give up caring about him, I would have already.”

“But you can't, can you?” Ein asked gently. “That is our Kuro. We are on the same team as he is, work with him, love him, and hate him all because of his innate traits. He is who he is, and we are still a family all the same.”

“But can you believe he genuinely said that?” Aya said, her anger still yet to vent. “If this was an infantry division with a stricter code of discipline, 'wishing death on a teammate' could have gotten him sued by the offended party in the martial court!”

Ein didn't answer for a second, his eyes glued on the sheet of paper Faegard was unrolling. And when the sheet was completely unraveled, the Captain's eyes shone up in his own revelation.

“No, Aya,” Ein gave a stretching smile as he held up the sheet of paper for all to see. “Alas, what we have here is a gross failure to communicate...”

On it was written, in neat Hiragana, nine syllables.

Arigato Gozaimasu,” it said.

“The Paladin has arrived!”

So exclaimed Faegard, his machine catapulting off the launch bay. After taking off in a mild curved trajectory, the machine landed on the ground with a sharp thud, punching a hole on the earth beneath it.
There, the Shishioh stood, its Granleon tightly planted on its right hand, ready for action.

“This is Valkyrie 2,” the radio communication system blared to life as soon as Faegard was aground. Lieutenant Saionji's voice was stern and responsible as she spoke. “Valkyrie 3 and 4, do you copy?”

“Valkyrie 3, all clear,” Kuro's voice sounded with as much zeal as it could possibly summon. “Ready for action.”

“Valkyrie 4, same here,” Faegard also replied. “The Paladin is not going to fail. Period.”

“Good,” Aya said, a glint of reliability flared in the way she spoke. “Remember that our mission this time is to contain and support, not to Assault and eliminate. Valkyrie 3, advance from 3 o'clock, intercept all enemy airborne units and make way for the main battle tank squadron. Valkyrie 4, support our Orion squads to take out enemy AA turrets on the ground. If the enemy breaks rank, immediately notify the bomber squad. Our job is to push the enemy as far as the Shibuya district and form a line there. Clear?”

“Valkyrie 3, roger that,” Kuro replied bluntly. “Targets locking on. Destroy the enemies.”

“Valkyrie 4, ready for combat,” Faegard said. “Let their children and grandchildren know we elves are not easy prey!”

A volley of assault cannon from the port side of the Alexander signified the commence of the battle. A bumbling Daimyo got struck by the last shot squarely on its torso, caught fire and spontaneously combusted in mid-air, plunging to the ground, drawing a red line af flame across the sky as it fell to its doom.

And then the rest of the Union army charged their enemies. The sound of engine on the ground was quickly followed by the crushing noise of heavy war machines on treads rolling over the city, demolishing any building above ground and crushing the debris under their treads. Once every so often, a cluster of concentrated explosions would ensue in a single close vicinity, shattering buildings and machines and men alike. To complete the picture of a ferocious assault, jet fighters would circle above the fighting, saturating the sky and everything below with vulcan fire, bombs, missiles or all of the above.

Their enemies, faced with combined firepower taking out chunks of their force, also responded with as much as they could. Clusters of napalms and missiles would be thrown around indiscriminately in response, incinerating the razed districts and the heavily armed and armored tanks that couldn't dodge it. The fighting was exceptionally heavy around the prioritized targets – the AA turrets. It didn't take long observing the absolute selflessness of the troops of both sides before Faegard was convinced that his elven compatriots were not, in any account, the one single bravest body of soldiers in the whole universe. Some tanks heavily lugged themselves into firing position only to fire a single round at the target before a dozen enemy missiles pounded them into the ground. Quite a few Daimyos stubbornly stood ground around their position, and went up in a blaze of glory when tactical bombers detonated it and several dozen score square yards around it.

“We're almost there!” declared a tank commander, rolling over the remains of his fellow soldiers. “Push on, everyone, and don't let up!”

Running into the fray with such zeal always bore potential fire effect. The risk tripled with the battlefield that day, judging from the sheer amount of ordnance going off every split second. The said tank leader found out his mistake too late, when his machine became the primary target for a row of Daimyo firing squad. A couple of seconds later, the tank was standing still in its path, smoke and flame gushing out from every single orifice, having been fatally hit by one missile too many.

“I'm hit!” frantically exclaimed the tank commander. “Long live the Emperor... AAARRGH!”

“Your Japan doesn't have an emperor any...” taunted the Daimyo pilot having just delivered the killing blow as he watched the tank blow up. He didn't even get to finish the sentence, for his retribution came in the form of half a dozen focus-fired Orion missiles blowing up each and every part of its body into oblivion.

The rest of the firing squad didn't get away scotch-free by any account. Just before the smoke could clear up, behind the Union frontline emerged a Mechanized Frame closing on them at maximum speed. Perhaps the last thing those Daimyo pilots could see was a large Overcharged Beam Sword as long as they are tall cleaving them flashing before their eyes.

“We aren't going to let their deaths be in vain! Take this!” Kuro shouted wildly like a bloodthirsty berserker over his loudspeaker, swiftly turned each enemy machine in his way into the Mechanized Frame equivalent of eggs broken for omelette. The opening he created was enough for the couple of dozen tanks around his position to swarm the enemies, resulting in much casualty in their side.

Faegard was not slacking behind. When Ein had told him to be able to freely use magic 'as you see fit', Faegard's confidence was boosted by several powers of magnitude.

“Okay there,” Faegard smirked as he glanced at the squad of enemy Daimyos dogfighting against the Orion squad he was in charge of supporting. “The arcane arts has something along these lines too!“

Some silent enchantment saw the Shishioh's palms burning with an eerie, bluish light. More than a dozen balls of light gathered around it, first innate, then quickly intensifying, encircling the machine's wide open hands, before shining to the point of temporarily rivaling the sunlight itself. And then those blue fireballs left the Shishioh's palms, automatically homing in on the Daimyos in the region, pelleting them from below. The bluish ethereal missiles weren't as damaging as they were distracting, throwing the unfortunate Daimyos off balance and focus for just long enough for the allied Orions to swoop down for the kill.

Their allies quickly spotted the troublemaker and responded in kind with all their ordnances focused on Faegard's machine. The elf replied with as condescending a smug he could garner, turning on his F-Barriers and forgot about those attackers altogether. Those defenders couldn't fire for too long, though, for giving up one's defensive position to attack a target right under the nose of a bomber/fighter squad was never too bright an idea. The next minute saw those machines receiving what was getting to them – a cluster of air-to-ground missiles pummeling their hiding place, and some of among their number, into nothingness.

“Everyone, keep up!” Aya's voice blared over Faegard's communication screen. “It is barely a few more kilometers until the Shibuya district!”

The next half an hour saw a large break in the battlefield order. Perhaps so many of them had been shot down to the point of demoralization, or an order for a tactical retreat had been spread around their ranks, but their resistance was thinning down with every passing minute. The AA-turrets fell much faster than before, one by one blowing up into bits as their defenders withdrew.

With no longer a thick anti-air network to cover the skies above them any more, the grounded Daimyo were taken down with much greater ease as the Union aircrafts and tanks swarmed their positions. The enemy defenses dwindled the further the Union forces drew in, and by the time the multiple corps' assaults rendezvoused about half a mile from their designated destination, there were barely any resistance left. At that point, the sudden ease was starting to ring a bell.

“Is it just me, or is this a little too easy?” Aya said, showing a good amount of doubts. And then her voice was transferred over the loudspeaker.

“This is the 12th Squadron's Valkyrie 2,” she declared. “All units, please proceed with caution.”

“Caution?” her suggestion was immediately met with objection from multiple tank commanders. “The enemies are right there waiting for us to hand them their ass!”

“I know, I know!” Aya hastily said. “But doesn't this look fishy? We just can't be too careful...”

She never got to finish her sentence when a number of her own fellows snapped back.

“Screw you and your 'careful'! We're going to teach those swines they ain't getting away with trashing our Tokyo!”

“Yeah, let's pound them all the way back to their New Sydney and let them know what it's like to have their capital city trashed!”

“Let's move on, soldiers! If that woman wants to cower like the woman she is, let her! Real men charge forward!”

“Blast those homeboys to dust!'

“Yeah, sounds like a plan!”

“Right!”

The multitude of blatant ridicules aimed at her seemed to have broken Aya's speech pattern for a couple of seconds. Every time she was going to say something, another couple of insults would be flung back at her. Some of them were bearable, others were not – it was simply baffling to realize such large proportions of blatant sexists in the army in that day and age. It wasn't long before the Lieutenant herself couldn't take it any longer.

“Okay, fine,” she breathed out in complete dismay. “Do whatever you want. I'm out of this, alright?”

“That's right,” taunted another soldier. “Stay in the kitchen, women. Let us men do the rough work!”

The said tank immediately took over the frontline, leading its comrades deeper into the city, crushing and flattening building ruins as they displayed their bravado. The others were only too pleased to follow on, leaving only the three members of the 12th Squad where they were.

“What kind of attitude is that?” Faegard walked towards the Lieutenant, voicing his disagreement. “Pay them no mind, Lieutenant Saionji. We are still fighting here.”

“As if we are that free,” it was perhaps the first time Kuro agreed with Faegard. “Now we have to keep up with the original plans AND make sure those idiots don't blow up in the same time.”

Perhaps the weight of responsibility had intervened, snapping Aya out of her temporary stupor within barely a minute.

“I'm okay,” she said. “It is the original plan we have to stick to. Let's catch up with those guys and uphold the...”

Never could she finish her sentence. A cluster of huge explosions in the distance, followed by the only remaining skyscrapers in the vicinity collapsing on top of the advancing tank ranks. That was followed by another corresponding series of blasts on the ground, causing the ground itself to rumble as if alive. It was completed by a sward of missiles from seemingly nowhere collapsing on the general area like a tidal wave of explosive death.

When the last explosion had stopped and the smoke had settled down, before the trio lay a scene of complete destruction. The entire area had been completely wasted, leaving nothing but scorched barrens, littered with holes and clogged with dust. Even the existing debris had been blown into oblivion. And the fate of the berserker tanks was a foregone conclusion. A rank of dismantled tank parts, shattered an smoldering amidst the scorched ground was the only testament to the pointless bravery of an entire regiment of men. To say that Aya and her companions were horrified was a gross understatement.

“Ashikaga units from one through five have been completely annihilated, no survivor!” Aya exclaimed as she glanced at her radio screen. “How could that have happened?”

“That is what we call 'tactics and maneuver'. And that is what, unfortunately, the Union mudheads never seem to catch up.”

The voice Aya heard and the signals on her radar module completely seized her, if the utter destruction of the entire unit of tanks hadn't. Those signals were confirmed by the very scene around them. From above the ruins, a rank of enemy Mechanized Frames had risen, surrounding the position of the trio. The presence of any remaining friendlies around them were snuffed out within the next minute, as the Orion squads accompanying them were quickly overwhelmed by the sudden and concentrated fire from all directions.

“We...” Aya shouted, stating the obvious. “We've been cut off!”

As if to show them how badly they had been screwed up, the enemy ranks, having completed their seek-and-destroy mission, were then closing on them, forming a literal circle above the trio, leaving no place to run. All their weapons were pointed at them, and if they emptied their ordnance at the three machines, there would be as much of Aya, Kuro and Faegard remaining to fill a tiny pouch.

Raising before the circle, the trio could spot a machine standing out from the others by a large distance. Its general construction was that of a Daimyo, but its color scheme was quite off. In stark contrast to the other machines' shade of gold-silver, the machine stood out with a distinct blue-green tint. It sported a somewhat heavier weapon system on its shoulder, while the beam edge on its hand was smaller and more resembled a rapier than an average standard-issue beam sword.

But the most distinct difference was its chest. It was embedded with a sigil, covering half of the chest and part of the upper abdomen. An unique crest it was, marked with two bloodied swords crossing over the front view of a draconic head. It went without saying that anyone going into battle with a mark that distinguished must be an important figure in the army and naturally the first prioritized target. It shuddered Faegard thinking of the level of skill of someone proud and good enough to bear that mark and dare to charge the frontline with it.

“You are... members of the 12th Mechanized Frame Squadron based in Kansai,” the rider of the blue-green machine declared. “If I hadn't heard much about you lot. Even though you are under the command of the famed Cannon of Heaven, all of you are skilful enough to stand out on your own, aren't you? That I commend you all.”

“Who ARE you?” Kuro demanded.

“Major Elvaht von Krieger of the Colonial Confederate Mechanized Frame Corps. A member of the Krieger clan, and proud of it,” calmly answered the pilot of the machine, with a gentleman's aristocratic tone.

“Elvaht?” exclaimed Faegard. “As in, the top ace of the Colonial Confederate Army?”

“I'll take that as a compliment,” Elvaht von Krieger answered as he glanced at Faegard's machine with all due astonishment. “And you... what a surprise. After all our multiple efforts to take hold of the Shishioh and its mysterious pilot, who could have known the machine itself would have flown right into our hands. What a very pleasant surprise.”

“You... you were behind the attack at our base?” Aya questioned.

“A woman intelligent enough to charm my one and only rival should have known, shouldn't she?” Elvaht answered. “It's not as 'behind' as 'personally lead my troops into battle', Lieutenant Saionji. Members of the Krieger clan are proud enough to take on any and every enemy head-on.”

“You are dreaming if you think I am going to hand over the Shishioh to you!” Faegard steeled his voice. “Captain Ritter had entrusted me with this machine. Even its own creator had entrusted it to me. There is no way I'll give it up even if I still draw breath!”

“I expected as much from the person who had stood up to a much stronger foe head-on and prevailed more than once,” Elvaht answered, some degree of respect showed through his speech. “But look around you. The ten-score army I bring around with me here is no longer the rag-tag recruits you've fought all along.”

He then pointed to the rank of men around them. Their movement were extremely fluid, their formation professional and flawless, and every other move they made showed veterancy of the highest degree. Their discipline was baffling, to say the least.

“Don't you think for a second the crews of the Alexander will give you a chance!” Faegard retorted.

“Not quite,” smirked Elvaht. “One rule of war is you must never expect your allies, not even your nearest and dearest to do what they are not ordered to just for you. Judging from the state of the Alexander now, let me be frank and tell you that even staying afloat and repel our attacks is quite an achievement.”

Taking a brief pause, as if gloating at the growing despair in the encircled trio, Elvaht continued.

“What a pity my old friend the Tenjouhou isn't here,” he said, “I wish my subordinate hadn't... temporarily disabled him, or else we could have resumed the duel a month ago. Guess I'll have to take it to another time.”

Even from Faegard's cockpit, the elf could hear Kuro's knuckles cracking with murderous intent. It was barely a few seconds before the hot blood in Kuro's veins ignited into violet action against any bit of wisdom he had.

“You... BASTARD!” roared Kuro, the flight module embedded in the Hiryuu's wings blazing to life, his large beam sword in tow.

“This cannot be... all friendlies have been wiped out?”

“Yes, sir. The only surviving units are the three MFs of the 12th Squadron, but they wouldn't last much longer. The Hiryuu Shinkiro is on its last leg, and the Type-A Sturmgewehr is likely to be overwhelmed if it makes a move!”

The panic in the bridge of the Alexander was well called for. A whole division-level combat group being wiped out within a mere few seconds was a military disaster, regardless of time or setting. Taking into perspective the fact that the entire army was supposed to both offensively defend the battered ship and buy time, 'disaster' didn't even begin to describe what was going on. Even the calm Sea Hound was about on the verge of losing his cool in the face of such imminent defeat.

“Damn,” he cursed. “How long will the Uchuu no Tsubasa take to start up?”

“N... not good, sir!” stammered the operator. “Our engineers had gotten into position, but the launch path had been sabotaged by the Confederate forces! If this goes on, the ship may not be able to launch at all!”

Captain Zabrovich responded by slamming his fist onto the nearest hard surface, his forehead wrinkled in frustration. The ship's plight was too bleak for even the most optimistic soul to light up.

“Looks like we have been played for fools all along,” said a bandaged figure beside the Captain.

“What are you trying to make here, Captain Einherjar Ritter?” the ship's captain asked him.

“From yesterday I have been thinking why they let us seize control of the vital districts along Tokyo Bay's shoreline that easily. Everything from sending out fresh recruits as easy cannon fodder, not using the various artillery emplacement on the hills around the central districts to provide support fire, and easy retreat when they were arguably still having the upper hand. Now it's clear - They want us to attempt to retrieve the battleship to gather us in a bunch.”

It would have been far more helpful had Ein been that thoughtful a couple of hours prior. At that hour, his words was more or less annoying, wise-cracking restating of the obvious, as Captain Zabrovich was quick to point out.

“If you are that smart, Captain Ritter, what would you propose us do?” said the ship's captain with a voice borderlining sarcasm.

The look on Captain Zabrovich's face was enough to unnerve the other Captain, a large sweatdrop ran down his cheek as he tried to find the right word.

“I'm afraid I...”

Ein never got the chance to say what he got in mind. For better for worse he could not tell, for judging from the unpredictable psyche the ship's captain was displaying, anything he said could have been unwise. The interruption by the operator seemed to have been a good thing... for the first few seconds.

“Sir, the Shishioh's pilot is displaying extremely irregular brainwave patterns! His F-stats are fluctuating at an unbelievable rate!”

“What?”

Both Ein and Captain Zabrovich exclaimed in unison as they stared at the charts and numbers displaying on the main screen. Just from the trend displayed in the graph, it seemed that when the operator said 'fluctuating', he meant 'plummeting'. It was as if the elf pilot's spiritual strength was being drained by something, to the point he was barely able to do anything.

And then some sort of realization hit Ein with the might of a sledgehammer.

“Captain Zabrovich,” he hastily asked, “is there any chance that an unknown enemy model is fielded around the Shishioh by any chance?”

The operator answered before the captain could response to such an awkward question.

“Yes, sir,” he said. “A customized Daimyo, one in number. But it doesn't look much different from the other Daimyo except for its... odd green-blue color scheme!”

“In the name of all what is holy, how could I have been so stupid?” Ein cried out, repeating the other captain's desk-slamming action. “Pitching anyone naïve, idealistic, unstable or inexperienced person against Elvaht von Krieger is asking for him to make them surrender unconditionally and irrevocably!”

“With all due respect, I demand to know what you are talking about, Captain Ritter!” the ship's captain told him, before he, too, was embroiled in the revelation. “Wait... is that the same Elvaht “mind-reader” von Krieger renowned through his various logic-defying conversion of soldiers in the First War I know?”

“That's him,” Ein said affirmatively. “The fact that he is here...”

Once again Ein was disappointed, but this time by much more alarming news.

“Sir, the Shishioh had dropped its weapon on its own account! He... he looks like he's going to surrender!”

“Are you joking?” the two Captains sprang towards the operator at the same time.

But what appeared on the main screen more or less confirmed the bad news. The Shishioh was standing there on the field, motionless, its weapon pinned on the ground. It was as if its pilot had given up all his will to fight, and was going to pop his cockpit door open any second then with his hands above his head. Or worse, pick up his his weapon and turn against the ship. It was no rocket science that should the bad come to worst, the Alexander itself would be wiped out without so much as a chance to fight back.

“Captain, Captain!” the operator called out at the top of his voice in desperation. “What do we have to do now? If... if...”

At that point, it was only the leadership of the seasoned captain that was holding the bridge from falling into complete panic. Conversely, it was that moment that would distinguish a brave man of the sea from a mediocre seaman like any other. And Captain Zabrovich had his feet firmly planted on the domains of the former.

“Stay calm,” the captain eventually said. “Everyone, be ready to evacuate in short notice. Except for the long range missile launch team. Load all the long-range launch tubes with anti-MF missiles. Aim for the Shishioh.”

“What are you thinking, Captain Zabrovich?” Ein shrieked in dismay. “That is my men you are aiming at!”

“If he capitulates, Corporal Faegard Elfblade is no longer your man, Captain Ritter,” the other Captain said with his voice unhinged. “The order from the higher-ups is to destroy the Shishioh and even its pilot if need be, if we ever lose control of it. The Confederate cannot have another F-System and F-Manipulator capable of turning the tide of the war. Even if this ship goes down, we will make certain of that.”

“What if he doesn't surrender?” Ein protested. “Would you like it fighting knowing that your teammates can shoot you in the back any second now?”

“What if he does?” rebutted Captain Zabrovich. “This is a mistake too costly to even think about, Captain Ritter. Many more lives will be lost if they ever get the Shishioh. As a MF commander, you should have known better.”

“But...”

“May I remind you that I am this ship's Captain. Here I call the shots. The least I can do for that young man is to give him the final saving throw,” the other Captain blocked any objection Ein was to offer, before turning to the rest of the bridge crews. “Load the missiles, but don't fire unless the Shishioh make any move towards us! Now get going with those warheads!”

His words were confirmed by the clanking of the launch tubes audible even from the bridge. As if sealing his decision, the operating crew at the control panels made the final declaration.

“Launch tubes 1 through 8, loaded with XV-12 Sarpedon Anti-MF missiles! Launch angle and trajectory, fixed! Target, MVFB-02 Shishioh! Ready to launch!”

DF  Post #: 27
10/18/2009 19:30:14   
Argeus the Paladin

Chapter 27
Heart of the Elf

“What, still in a coma, Corporal Faegard Elfblade? Is this how you greet someone having taken the time to visit your innermost mind?”

Faegard's blank eyes blinked, slowly coming to life upon hearing those words. That notion could hardly be called 'waking up'. He had never slept or fallen into literal unconsciousness in the first place. The last thing he remembered was seeing Kuro charge the blue-green machine head-on. While Kuro had failed many times before with that sort of straight charge, never before had he been so completely shattered. It took nothing but merely a single offhand punch to knock him out of the sky onto a pile of debris below. Then the green Daimyo turned its head towards Faegard. Perhaps it was just his imagination running wild, but the Daimyo's eyes shone at him with an eerie light. And then everything went black, or, more like it, white.

Only then did the white shade slowly fade away, giving way to a more corporeal feel around him. But when he realized what kind of surrounding he was in, he wished he was stuck in a coma like before.

For a second it felt as if he was trapped in a dimension where everything else had been erased from existence, a dimension of nothing but blackness. There was no top, no bottom, near or far. It was entirely possible to perceive his confinement as very spacious or extremely narrow at the same time. Such sort of planar dimensions would normally make great research material for fledging wizards like himself. If he knew what it was and if he himself wasn't trapped in it, that was. When neither of the aforementioned was true, the only thing Faegard could feel was fear, extreme fear of desolation. At least the virtues of a prince still held him together, and the elf bit his lips almost to the point of drawing blood just to stop himself from letting out the scream of the most primal of fears.

To his relief, he wasn't alone. Standing at the far corner of the room, space, plane, dimension or whatever it could be called stood a figure he had never been acquainted with before. He was a tall, slim but well-built man, with well-groomed white hair. His ominous red robe could be said to either abysmally clashing with his hair and skin tone. Or conversely, matching with it so well there could simply be no better combination in the nature of colors, depending on who Faegard asked. But from the smirk on his face, it was no doubt he had something to do with Faegard being transported to that particular dimension.

Faegard's diplomatic education dictated that if he was to talk with an unknown party holding the upper hand, it was crucial to regain the initiative. Thinking so, he steeled himself and began talking.

“I demand to know where this place is and who you might be,” he said. His attempt to keep his voice sounding determined and firm was shaken after every word he spoke, just from the imposing presence of the other party alone. Still, he pulled off that quite well, as the other party acknowledged.

“So, Elven Prince of Greenglaze, you certainly are an interesting personality,” the figure stated with all due amusement. “Even though, to be honest, I don't really know what this 'Greenglaze' place might be.”

“How did you know all that?” Faegard gasped in amazement.

“It's all in your mind is it not?” rhetorically asked the red-robed figure. “And incidentally your faithfully has the capability to browse your brain for information as he thinks fit.”

“You are reading my mind?” Faegard rolled his eyes at the stranger, trying to contain the fear growing in his heart with every passing second.

“And, my apologies,” chuckled the stranger, “for having taken the liberty to pull you with me into... a journey into the depth of your mind, where we are now. This is the best way to have a heart-to-heart conversation, both figuratively and literally.”

“If you are trying to convince me we are both trapped in the depth of my heart, pardon me for not believing,” Faegard retorted. “My heart is neither as empty or as black as this. I refuse to believe it.”

The stranger lifted his lips victoriously.

“Your heart appears to you as what you perceive it. You, who are so bound by the various dogmas and rules that governs your life from the day you are born. You, whose entire life had been spent doing nothing but locking yourself away in whatever researches and studies you can think about. You, who had forcefully sealed away most of your desires except for that of your people's greater good,” he said respectfully. “You, sir, are the single one most perfect leader-to-be I have ever seen the heart of. That is why your own heart was blocked out to the very person who owns it.”

He then took a few more steps towards Faegard, creeping him out by his slow and steady pace.

“But I, Elvaht von Krieger,” the man continued, “can see through all those mists. I see you as what you are. I can see the desires at the bottom of your heart as you felt and suppressed it. Isn't it ironic for one to end up not knowing himself as well as some other souls know him?”

The stranger introduction struck Faegard aback. Finding someone else peering into his mind was one thing, but that someone being an enemy he was supposed to vanquish in battle is another matter entirely.

“Elvaht von Krieger, the evil mastermind of the raid on the Kansai base,” Faegard repeated with his teeth grinding. “The monster who has the blood of hundreds staining his hands. Don’t you think it is a tad risky trapping yourself here with me, a wizard with enough power to blast your face right off your torso if I should so elect?”

Answering Faegard’s threat, Elvaht von Krieger just lifted his lips somewhat in a gesture easily perceived as ridicule.

“Unwise move,” Elvaht said. “I trapped you here in the bottom of your heart in the first place and naturally the only one who can get any of us out of here as I please. From here on, you don’t get to control how this goes any longer.”

Faegard did not take that threat kindly, flinging one of his signature fireball at the opposite speaker spontaneously. To his astonishment, the searing ball of flame was stopped right before the edge of the flame could even singe Elvaht’s garment, as if an anti-magic wall had been erected to prepare just for it. And then the entire flaming globe was snuffed out of existence, to Faegard’s horror.

“What is this all about?” Faegard questioned, feeling it harder and harder to maintain his façade of bravery.
“You can’t do any of those fancy magic in here,” Elvaht shook his head victoriously at the elf. “After all, this is your heart – what takes place within the interior of your mind. Does it make any sense if you can suddenly fling thunderbolts and fireballs in your very head? No, of course not.”

Taking a pause to gloat at Faegard’s increasing desperation, Elvaht then went on with a more serious tone.

“Consider this some sort of a prison, an interrogation chamber, or perhaps… an appropriate conference hall for two men to start negotiating, whichever you think fit. But neither of us is free to go until we are done.”

“It is the duty of us Paladins to eradicate the very concept of evil from the face of this earth,” Faegard said, slapping himself mentally to keep his calm. “Give me one good reason why I must speak with an evil creature like you.”

“You speak of a clear-cut definition between good and evil. And so goes the mentality any ‘good’ parent or teacher would inspire their children or pupils with,” Elvaht touched his chin as he remarked. “May I ask you, then, what is good and what is evil? What is that clear crevasse that split the spectrum into two such strikingly opposite halves?”

“Would you, an evil creature, understand even if I told you?” Faegard said proudly. “Working for the good of the majority at the expense of the self is good. Doing the other way around is evil. No exception. For the betterment of the universe, the sooner evil is expelled from the face of life, the better.”

At these words, Elvaht broke out laughing. To Faegard’s astonishment, his laughter did not reek of malice as he expected. It was a genuine laughter of a man having just been taken whole by a humor to the point of absurdity.

“What’s so funny?” Faegard demanded angrily.

“If that is what they taught you, then I feel sorry for those having learnt from them,” Elvaht said, after stopping his string of laughter. “No, to put it more appropriately, I feel sorry for you as a person.”

“Feel sorry? For me?” Faegard asked back, “What kind of ridiculousness is that?”

“Let me ask you for one,” Elvaht said. “Do you really think, for one, that this war is fought between a force of true good and true evil? And you, like any other paragons of good and honor so omnipresent in fairy tales, fighting for the so-called ‘good guys’?”

“I don’t doubt it for one bit,” Faegard replied without hesitation. “We are good, you are evil. End of story.”

“Oh? I take offense to that last one,” Elvaht smirked. “May I ask you, how could we have garnered such a large force to surround you today?”

“Draftees and opportunists,” Faegard answered. “All evil overlords before and even after your lot have taken that as a tried and true method. Those people will see the light of good or desert you to side with the better payer sooner or later, rather than giving up their lives for you lots!”

“Wrong,” Elvaht shook his head. “Those who are still fighting along my side today, they have all had their reasons to. Have you seen, for instance, Captain Charles Kingsley and his companions, or Sergeant Zakawa Black? Or even the average soldier in our army, pushing forth against you in spite of losses? I suppose even today you are wondering what the driving force that pushed them to fight your clique with such bravery could be, aren’t you?”

Those words stunned Faegard as spoken. Just before he could find the proper words to rebut the enemy’s speech, a patch of the black scenery around him sprang to life. It was the battle scene from the past few days, playing around him like a slow-motion clip. The enemies marching without the hesitation and cowardice seen in a supposedly evil army, not even faltering before the sure-kill cannon of Captain Einherjar Ritter. Captain Charles Kingsley and his two sidekicks keeping up with their mission, trying to minimize losses on their side at the expense of themselves. And Zakawa Black’s zealous assaults on Captain Ritter with the kind of fervor unseen anywhere save for righteous vengeance of crusader paladins. Those images seemed to be on auto-playback, repeating themselves before Faegard’s eyes ad infinitum.

“What… what is happening around me?” Faegard asked in panic. “What are those scenes? Why are they here? Why… why don’t they stop?”

“I have just taken the liberty to unearth some of the images in the depth of your heart you’ve inadvertently locked away,” explained Elvaht.

“What do I have to fear to have to lock them away?” Faegard demanded.

“You fear yourself,” Elvaht said slowly and clearly. “You fear that what you have seen and what you believe may clash with each other to the point of making you question the very pinnacle of your faith. For someone upholding the boundary of good and evil in your heart with such a religious fervor, allowing something to prove otherwise,” he raised his voice, “you consider that to be a sin. A sin to be avoided at all cost. Am I right?”

“I… I don’t believe it!” Faegard desperately denied. “This must… must be some kind of illusions! Say what you want. But I won’t believe it!”

“You are avoiding it. This is not good for you,” Elvaht shook his head. “No wonder all what you can see in your heart originally is nothing but blackness. You have never been… yourself, don’t you know?”

“I have always been myself!” Faegard roared back, clutching his forehead. “I am Faegard Thunderwood Elfblade, the Prince Paladin of the Elven Kingdom of Greenglaze! To destroy all that is evil and to uphold the livelihood and prosperity of my people is my mission! Don’t you dare…”

“Dare what?” Elvaht advanced towards Faegard, until the distance between the two was barely a couple yards. “Dare exposing what your heart tells you? Then, please allow me show you just what you are. You have much more fear and desires than you would like to show on the outside.”

Elvaht then waved his hand. Again, the darkness around him partly dissipated, showing a much more peaceful scene that time. That of the clinics he had been through ever since he had arrived at the world of Earth. A haven of the color white was stretching before his eyes. There was his cubicle, and there was his bed. There was the ticking, clingy machine tied to his wrist he had always tried so hard to remove to no avail. He was lying motionlessly atop that white sheet, covered by that fluffy white blanket.

And there, at the doorway, stood a petite woman, clad in white, her long, silky black hair outmatching even the most beautiful of Elven ladies he had ever been acquainted with. Pushing a trolley along the corridor, she could merely afford a couple of seconds to glance at his sleeping form. She could only flash a brief, ambiguous smile at him before vanishing into the beyond. But the look in her eyes told of great fears, great sorrows and great uncertainties, neither of which he understood or had the solution to.

Just as her trolley had disappeared beyond, outside the cubicle appeared another woman. Her medium-length hair and the twin strands of hair rising above the overall mass would have been a dead ringer for her identity, had it not been for their color. Ayaka Saionji, clad in a casual skirt instead of a military uniform while still maintaining that look of jest and mischief on her face, was smiling at him. No longer did her hair in particular or her figure in general look unnatural any longer. That black shade was apparently what she was born with, matching all too well with her dark irises and her fair skin tone. And that casual white skirt was supposed to be the one she would wear on a daily basis.

Her crystal-clear eyes were free of all anxiety and thoughts, supposedly all thanks to the person standing hand-in hand with her. His mentor/commander was standing beside her, hand in hand, his face that could never stand a moment of seriousness was beaming. The victorious look in his face was as if he had just taken care of all her issues, all her sorrow and bonds with her past, a past Faegard didn’t even know of. Suddenly something tugged at his heartstring hard, causing all the images to ripple and distort, leaving him speechless.

“This is…”

“I have just taken the pleasure to expose that part of your heart that pinpointed your ideal women and all the emotions attached to it,” Elvaht said, “Either the fancy Lieutenant in your unit or Princess of Nagoyaka Heavy Industries would have made a fine companion for you, had the former not been already taken and the latter had… issues that you can’t afford the time, effort or moral dedication to even care. Passion, desire and hopelessness – perhaps your code of Paladinhood disallows any of them? Or, in the worst case, all three?”

“What kind of nonsense are you spouting?” Faegard denied furiously, his eyes trying to jam shut to stop the influx of images he wished to block out. No luck – what he had saw kept playing over and over again in his head, with no way of removing.

“So that is some of your guilty desires,” Elvaht said, continuing with his ritual. “Now what about some of your guilty fears?”

Yet another fragment of darkness lightened up. Before Faegard now stood the Shishioh, his machine since he had been entering that strange world. It was still as majestic and awe-inspiring as the time they first met… had it not been for a familiar figure standing next to it. For a second, he could not recognize Kurogane Renzoku any more. His cheeks were sunken in, his features pale and unhealthy, and his appendages dangling down, as if tired from all the load he had to bear. Those eyes he had known to be burning with bravery and willpower was no longer alit. The black mark under his eyes due to apparent sleeplessness was wet with tears – tears of blood. He looked as if he was going to collapse any second now.

Then the unhealthy Kurogane produced from behind him a strange-looking, exotic short sword with a curved edge. The shimmering edge was cold as ice, driving a cold chill up his spines.

”I have done all I can, father,” Kuro’s mouth opened, his voice filled with anguish and sorrow. ”Why can I never be as great a warrior as you would want? Why? If I am such a disgrace to your name, to this family’s name,” to Faegard’s horror, he knelt down, turning his weapon to himself, “then let me not shame our family name any longer!”

With those words, Kuro drove his weapon into his torso. A spring of blood gushed from his wound, painting the Shishioh’s feet and lower leg red. Kuro’s eyes turned wild for a second, his mouth opened, a string of mad laughter escaping his lips, only to fade into a nonsensical series of coughs. And then even those coughs faded, his eyes turning to a solid shade of inertness. His souls had been liberated from his lifeless body as he collapsed on the ground, soaked in his own blood.

“CORPORAL RENZOKU!” screamed Faegard as he tried to run towards the mirage. A useless move. The image of Kuro dying such a horrible death faded away when he arrived, only to replay itself over another patch of Faegard’s mental space.

“Sergeant, or should I say, Corporal Kurogane Renzoku had always resented you for having taken his machine from him,” explained Elvaht. “To him, the Shishioh you now pilot is the only way he knew to even remotely fulfill his father’s desires of a warrior son. Judging from his fiery temper, don’t you fear that his desperation one day will cause his death, perhaps even by his own hands as you are seeing? And would it hurt your ‘Paladin’ sense of justice, knowing that you are responsible, at least partly, for his demise?”

“Shut up!” Faegard clutched his eyes while screaming madly at his hypnotizer. “I don’t believe it! I don’t!”

“Very well then,” Elvaht shook his head in displeasure. “You can deny all of the above if that so-called ‘sense of good’ in you is so strong. But there is no way you can deny this one.”

Elvaht then crossed his arms. With that ritual, the remaining of the darkness around Faegard dissolved for good. In their place, flames and debris dominated the scenario. The worst horror in his life was playing itself before his eyes again. The sack of Greenglaze, the insane laughter of the invading hordes, the cracking flames consuming everything in its path, and the brutish slaughter of his people. Screams filled the background, the haunting dreams he was glad he could wipe his ears of. And the sight of all those nearest and dearest to him falling before the invaders, just to let him get away. All of those he had wished he could forget were alive before his wide opened eyes.

And amid those background stood one Faegard, dressed in nothing but a tattered, unenchanted wizard robe, surrounded by a mob of goblins, mountain giants and dragons, licking their lips ravenously. One defenseless Faegard naked of any means to save himself, let alone those he loved and honored stood there, just waiting to be eaten. All the while, the city around him was crumbling to the ground, the wails of his tormented people slowly fading, consumed by the dead of night. Even if he hadn’t had the taboo against screaming, there would have been no use for doing so. There was not an elven soul alive all over the place.

“Ooh! Me likes elf sandwich!” a giant exclaimed gleefully. “Reekin’s friends gets nice elf sandwiches! Me gets me elf sandwich too!”

The giant then reached out to grab Faegard. Cowering wouldn’t help – there was simply no place to run and none to hide. It seemed that would be the end of Faegard when a huge metallic hand from nowhere landed on the giant’s head, crushing its skull and everything inside into bloody, chunky paste.

Then the screen switched. Faegard again saw himself, but this time sitting inside the Shishioh’s cockpit, laughing maniacally. Outside the Shishioh lay a scene perhaps even more atrocious than the end of Greenglaze itself. The machine was standing atop a mountain of corpses and bones – goblin dead bodies. None of them were so intact, if not missing all limbs, then had so many holes in the torso that the torso itself was as good as lost. Or without a head, or having said head bashed to pulp. Or reduced to smoldering goblin ash. Or worst, having nothing remaining but disintegrated dust. There must have been hundreds of thousands, or even millions, of goblins murdered to have yielded such a grisly, colossal pile of remains.

Around that mountain were other moulds, dumped with the corpses of each and every other creature that had aided Mortigius in his quest for Greenglaze. Black Dragons, orcs, trolls, ogres, mountain giants… it looked as if Faegard and his Shishioh had gone to each and every corner of the world and committed genocide on every single of those species. His face in the cockpit showed complete ruthlessness. To complete the scene, another hysterical string of laughter escaped Faegard’s lips as the Shishioh stomped on the pile of dead bodies. Blood splashed upwards, painting whichever corner of the machine that had not yet been soaked with blood red. The scene then faded out, giving one final close-up shot of the Shishioh’s new paintjob of blood.

“What… what is this?” Faegard felt queasy even as he spoke.

“So that is the tragedy that had befallen your people,” Elvaht smiled. “That was the first time in your life, everything you have known and love had collapsed. You were a failure as an elf or a Paladin, or so you perceived yourself. Helpless. Useless. Feeble. Fragile. It looks like you had never recovered from that which you saw that day – you just managed to cloak them all up under the pretense of nobility and justice. You even cloaked up the true desire behind your joining the Global Union Army.”

“My… true desire?”

“Didn’t you see the massacre? The carnage? The destruction and horror you and the Shishioh in the visual image struck into your enemies? I don’t even need much effort to interpret that desire of yours into visual images. They have razed your nation to the ground and perhaps had even driven your people to extinction. You would like to pay them in kind, no, ten times worse than what they had done to your people. But right now, alas, you lack the power to do so.”

Elvaht gave a rhetoric pause as he glanced at Faegard and his wide-opened eyes staring at him. And then, with a smirk, Elvaht approached Faegard, now within an arm’s reach of the elf, and patted him on the shoulder.

“The Shishioh is your only chance to deliver such vengeance to those owing you one. That was the first thought you had when you first saw it. You just can’t deny it – it is that sort of out-of-your-world power that attracted you to the Global Union Army in the first place. It is not righteousness, goodness, morality or anything. Just power. Raw power, and the possibility to use it to wreck havoc against your mortal enemies.”

“That’s not right!” Faegard screamed back, throwing Elvaht’s hand aside. “I’m above that!”

“Are you?” Elvaht grinned at Faegard’s bewildered expression. “This is your heart, not mine. You own it, write its content, and know what’s inside. I’m just an interpreter, pointing out what you can’t openly admit yourself.”

At those words Faegard looked downwards at his feet. He didn’t know whether it was a disgrace or a relief to have those thoughts explained. It was undeniable that those murderous intent upon his enemies had been haunting his every dream, more or less, ever since he made his breakthrough to Earth. The dream of one day storming Mortigius’ castle, setting fire to his nation, and finally crushing his skull with as large a weapon as he could file while stomping on the remains of all what the evil lord had constructed over his lifetime never once stopped inspiring Faegard. The fact remained that he had joined the Global Union Army with that sole objective, without even care to find out if his side was even the side of justice in that conflict.

“My advice to you: Don’t shun your true heart. Do what you think is right – in this case, joining the side that would give you the most bene…”

Elvaht didn’t get to finish his sentence. From the background, suddenly an alerting bleep sounded, startling both speakers. A mechanical voice boomed overhead, as if trying to awaken both of them.

“WARNING! LONG RANGE MISSILES LAUNCHER INITIATION DETECTED! MACHINE WITHIN ESTIMATED BLAST RADIUS! EVASIVE MANEUVER HIGHLY ADVISED!”

The voice repeated itself over a couple of times, at increasing speed and volume. It was further accompanied by a series of red flares filling the background. Elvaht, being the experience soldier he was, quickly snapped from the first impression, and assessed the situation. Faegard, unfortunately, could not.

“What… what was that?” Faegard stammered, panic growing exponentially with each word he uttered.

“My, oh my,” Elvaht shook his head in amusement. “Looks like someone on board the Alexander is getting the vibe that you’re going to defect to our side. Of course they, being the good guys, cannot allow any betrayal of that sort, could they? If you make as little as the slightest inclination now, they would launch the missiles at you. Missiles that, may I add, capable of blasting your machine and everything within several yards of it into oblivion.”

“What?” Faegard gasped. “C… Captain Ritter will never do that!”

“That is called the military, my friend,” Elvaht said. “Once the higher-up issues an order you just have to carry it out. So, let me ask you, what would become of you if your supreme commanders absolutely hate you they would like your face off the planet as soon as possible?”

“Then I…”

“Or a better question would be, if an army was so willing to so easily eliminate its arguably most potential soldiers so that their leaders would be at a better strategic and political position, would that an ‘Army of Justice’ make?” Elvaht continued, before giving a conclusion. “I can’t say our enemies had committed a despicable sin by trying to eliminate you if they doubt your loyalty. Every other politician with much at stake would do the same. But then, my friend, what is it that distinguish us and them any more?”

“There is… none…”

Faegard tried to speak more, but he just couldn’t find anything to say at that point. A feeling of betrayal filled his heart as his eyes switched between the opposite speaker and the ground. The moment’s confusion and dissonance, coupled with all the intake of information from before went dreadfully close to shutting down his head and its various functions. For a brief few seconds, Faegard thought he could hear the sound of glass shattering all around him. The glass tower of idealism had collapsed on top of him, trapping him under it for all what it weighted.

Lifting his eyes back to Elvaht, Faegard was once again astonished to see the man’s garments had changed right out of nowhere. Or more like it – the color of the negotiator’s robe had changed. No longer was it red as if dripping with the blood of the innocent, but was now a shade of green. Not exactly pure, but nowhere near the level of evil symbolism it was just a blink ago. Faegard stared at the opposite speaker, thoroughly amazed.

“What a fresh change, isn’t it?” said Elvaht with all due humor. “You’ve dressed me up in a far more befitting color, don’t you think?”

“This… what does this mean?”

“Unconsciously, you have disregarded your previous prejudice of my arguably nonexistent ‘evilness’,” Elvaht explained. “I commend that brave innovative thought. This means that we can now negotiate this like gentlemen, can we?”

Another alert voice sequence drove Faegard to the brink of his wit, as he quickly asked Elvaht.

“So what do you suggest?” he asked hastily.

“Simple: Join us,” Elvaht said. “My men are more than experienced enough to take down not one, not two, not even a dozen, but thousands of half-assed missiles with no difficulty. We can offer you far better terms than what they have granted you in the Union. The Shishioh will be yours to use as you please, with some token restrictions, of course. If you would like to bring that weapon back to your world to give your mortal enemies a taste of their own medicine, so be it.”

“But I’m trapped in this world!” Faegard exclaimed.

“No sweat,” Elvaht said with a delightful voice, “Did I tell you that the warp and teleport technologies of the Colonies are, say, several decades ahead of the Union’s own? Right now our scientists have already been able to carry out experimental warps to other planes and dimensions, bringing even Mechanized Frames with them.”

There was a moment of silence as Faegard opened his eyes wide. Considering the alternatives, it seemed there were no longer any threads holding him to the Union side of the war.

“The choice is yours now that you have seen my hand,” concluded Elvaht as he stuck his hand out towards Faegard with a friendly smile. “Will you decline it and risk being shelled to death by your own allies? Or instead, take it and get on the fast lane to your deepest and most ferocious desires? As I said, the choice is yours.”

At that point, Faegard’s token ‘righteous’ conscience could no longer resist the offer Elvaht had provided. Even that conscience was fading away – Elvaht had already seemingly terminated all the loose moral threads possibly linking him to the Union side of the war. Almost like under hypnosis, Faegard slowly raised his hands and reached towards Elvaht’s outstretched palm…

“Sorry for interrupting the negotiation, gentlemen, but I bring other news instead!”

A familiar voice sounded over the background, drawing Faegard’s attention to it. To the astonishment of all those concerned, just a little over the horizon stood Einherjar Ritter in all of his glory, his signature smirk decorating his visage. From the way he entered, it was apparent he had heard all about Elvaht’s offer and seen Faegard nearly accepting it. Involuntarily, Faegard stepped back, hiding his hands behind him, as if he was concealing something especially guilty within his grasp. Indeed, the sense of shame of betrayal lit up again in his heart the moment he saw his superior’s face.

“What an astonishment, Einherjar Ritter,” Elvaht said casually after his astonishment had died down. “I should have been prepared to see you around even under this sort of security.”

“Indeed you should,” Ein said. “A daredevil F-Manipulator with some skills to top it with can watch your mental conversations whenever and wherever he wishes.”

Elvaht didn’t answer, but replied with a casual shrug, before looking at the newcomer face to face.

“I never expected to meet you not on the battlefield or the drinking table, old friend,” Ein began walking towards his opposite number, shaking his head as he walked forth. “You, sir, have just beaten your own record on ‘most underhanded method ever’. I don’t know if I should be proud or ashamed of this as an old mate.”

“Neither did I,” answered Elvaht. “Though I’d expected you’d known better that I am utilizing a very acceptable, if not even ethical, method in warfare.”

“Captain, I…” Faegard tried to speak, but the overwhelming shame in his heart weighed down any other word he could utter.

“Don’t say anything else, Faegard,” Ein said sympathetically as he continued walking towards the duo. “You did nothing wrong out there. If I were you, I would have surrendered the moment he gave an offer something along the lines of ‘infinite manga and anime supply’.”

“Well, you must have something up your sleeves at this point,” Elvaht remarked. “Or otherwise you wouldn’t have, I suppose, dashed through my line of soldiers on guard just to drop a word, would you?”

“Believe me, I have nothing,” Ein shrugged with a broad smile. Whether that came from extreme ignorance or confidence, Faegard could never tell. The only thing he knew was his Captain took the time to gloat at his opposite number’s clueless face for some time, before begin speaking again.

“But you know me,” Ein continued. “I’d rather take a bullet through the cockpit than let my men’s lives be endangered. And I mean it literally.”

“Literally?” Elvaht rolled his eyes at his nemesis.

“Right now, as I am talking to you here, I’m parking a replacement mass-produced Stahlpferd directly in the Alexander’s line of fire,” Ein said casually. “If they proceed with launching their missiles, I, not Faegard, will take the hit.”

“What?” it was Elvaht’s turn to become bewildered for good measure. “You are joking!”

“Go look out the window if you still doubt it.”

Naturally Elvaht didn’t need to check a window. With a wave of his hand, a patch of Faegard’s televised inner thoughts was wiped empty, in its place a screen emerged. To Elvaht’s astonishment and horror, what he saw outside the screen was exactly what he was told. There, at the center of the ring of his soldiers and above both himself and Faegard, Ein’s Skybooster-equipped Stahlpferd was standing in mid-air, as if challenging all of the Confederate soldiers and the ship in the far beyond.

“But how could you do that? My men…”

“I heard that the Krieger clan’s loyal Huskarl unit is fiercely obedient of their chain of command to the point of being mechanical,” Ein said with all due amusement. “Don’t you forget you’ve ordered them to hold their fire unless otherwise ordered or they are under direct fire. None of the above has happened thus far.”

“Wait, Captain, does that mean…”

Faegard’s question was answered by a casual chuckle from Ein’s part.

“It means exactly what you think it was,” Ein said. “While I am still standing in the launch trajectory, you are free to make your choice with absolutely zero risk. Should you choose to surrender, do as you please. I’ll take the punishment in your part.”

“But if I surrender now, they will fire!” Faegard cried out. “You’ll not survive it!”

“Says the one whose entire people depend on the survival of,” Ein answered. “I have for long lived for neither any political idealism nor battle glory any longer. I live, and possibly die solely for those soldiers under my command. If I can make a judgement call that will probably cost me my life for the better good of a soldier with a future to look forward to… so be it.”

Taking a good pause, as if waiting for Faegard to absorb his resolution, and then finished.

“The choice is yours, Corporal Faegard Thunderwood Elfblade,” Ein said. “Will you stay on our side, or switch to theirs? It is up to you and what your heart tells you to.”

“My… heart?”

“That’s right, your heart!” Ein exclaimed. “Do what you think you should! Live like what your heart tells you to, not what you’ve been told!”

“I…”

DF  Post #: 28
10/19/2009 3:24:58   
Argeus the Paladin

Chapter 28
The Ship That Pierces The Ground

The weight of the option stalled Faegard for more than a few minutes as his eyes alternated between the two aces representing the two sides of the conflict. No one had said it out loud, but it was more than obvious that any choice he would make at that time would probably change his life forever. And potentially, the lives of many others who had their stakes on him, his machine, or both of the above. The train of thoughts quickly boiled down into an all-out internal struggle between surrendering for the greater good of his people and fighting on for the sake of those having trusted him. The strain between those equally heavy weights was tearing him into halves. In the end, Faegard decided to just make a random option.

“It’s decided then, Captain,” Faegard finally said. “I’ll…”

His words, and intentions, were instantly locked down indefinitely when a large explosion rocked the entire dimension and everyone in it. The trauma was such that it knocked the elf on the ground, face-down.

When he finally got to his feet, he saw both of the commissioned officers accompanying him still standing, feet firmly planted on the ground as if nothing had happened. But it didn’t take a second to realize something had gone horribly wrong. While Elvaht’s projection hadn’t changed at all, Ein’s figure was dissipating quickly, like a cloud of smoke under the mercy of a gust of wind.

“Captain!” Faegard cried out frantically. “What’s wrong?”

“Heh…” Ein replied, not giving up his triumphant smirk even as he was literally vaporizing. “Looks like my luck ran out faster than I thought.”

At that point, Ein’s projection completely vanished from the sight of the duo, as if he had never been there in the first place. Immediately Faegard ran towards his commander, as if trying to hold him back aground. It was no use – by the time he reached where Ein once was, his entire being had been erased into nothingness, if only his voice still echoing behind.

Elvaht’s response was not much less astonished and terrified than Faegard. However, the Major still had the advantage of knowledge and experience. Just a quick look out of the screen was enough for him to realize what had gone wrong.

The mass-produced Stahlpferd was no longer stationed in the air as the two remaining figures in the dimension peered into the screen. All what was left of it was a waning column of black smoke, tracing all the way down to a messy-looking mass of junk metal still smoldering on the ground. And somewhere among the rank of Daimyo surrounding their position, a puff of barrel smoke was exhausting from a random soldier’s shoulder-mounted ordnance system.

It wasn’t rocket science to connect the dot and draw a conclusion of what had happened. The two remaining figures seemed to have reached the conclusion all at the same time. The responses of the two onlookers were thoroughly different, however.

“Who just fired that shot?” Elvaht cried out in exasperation as he looked out of the screen. Unfortunately, it didn’t seem that he was able to be heard while still trapped in Faegard’s heartchamber. Besides, he still had a mission at hand. With eyes still showing annoyance to the highest degree, he turned to Faegard, attempting to resume whatever persuasion he was still carrying out.

“Err… that was… a clear case of insubordination on behalf of my soldiers,” for the first time Elvaht struggled to find a correct word. “I’m sure the culprit will be appropriately punished… But now, where were we?”

Faegard didn’t response to his shout. His eyes were blanked out staring at the empty space where his commander once was, his hands rolling into a fist, and his jawline was showing as his teeth clenched. It then became obvious it was not as much as he didn’t hear him than he didn’t want to respond.

“You…” muttered Faegard, his tone so frighteningly murderous that the normally calm and eloquent Elvaht was taken aback by such boldness.

“I… I promise the culprit will be dealt with according to the rulebook,” Elvaht hastily said as he took a few more steps backward, trying to work out a compromise. “Or maybe five times the sentence? Ten times?”

No amount of compromise could actually help his case at that moment. Just from the way Faegard’s face twisted in absolute fury, he was caught in perhaps the most savage rage of his ever since the destruction of his hometown. It was outright improbable that he would even forgive the only personification of his enemies before him, let alone cooperate. As if informing Elvaht outright how messed up his effort was, the negotiator’s entire green garb gradually blackened, until the point it looked even blacker than freshly mined coal.

“The deal is off, you hear that, butcher?” Faegard roared, his voice so reminiscent of Zakawa’s battle roar that the polite, righteous prince a minute ago seemed to have been already snuffed out of existence. “It’s war to the knife from this point on, you hear that? To the knife!”

However, the sly war fox Faegard was facing was too experienced to be sufficiently shaken by his fury. It barely took him a few seconds before he managed to reestablished his mental composure and countering the elf’s demeanor,

“Looks like you don’t know where you are standing,” Elvaht said with a headshake. “You can’t exactly fight me when we are inside your head. And I always have the option to trap either or both of us here indefinitely. As well as the ability to do this.”

The next thing Faegard realized was his opponent waving his palm at him. The result of that seemingly random movement was devastating, to say the least. Suddenly, everything Faegard had heard and seen for the past hour, which was already an overwhelming load, was flowing backward into his head, repeating themselves at an increasing speed. In the first few seconds, Faegard could still cope with it, but as the information influx ramped up in speed, it quickly overwhelmed any defense he could put up. The elf found himself collapsing to the floor, hands squeezing the sides of his head in no time, writhing in real, physical pain.

“What did you just do to me?” Faegard asked difficultly, the influx of information squeezing his head with every passing second.

“I happen to be able to force the flow of information in and out of your head at will once I’m in it. Flowing one’s intermediate memory through one’s head over and over again overloads it pretty fast, I may add,” said Elvaht. “It isn’t the most comfortable of treatment, but it can get things going when the outlook is grim.”

“…”

Faegard’s mouth was frozen solid in place when he tried to rebut. The exponentially increasing pain had finally seized his capability to use his head straight, and, in time, the rest of his body. His head felt as if physically bulging forth like a filled balloon, his brain pressed against the inside of his cranium, filled to the brim with the imageries. If there was any hard object around him, the elf would have smashed his head against it to ease the pain from inside.

“This is not they way I want things to go, but if that’s come to that, so be it,” Elvaht asserted as he stuck his hand forward, “but if you ever changes your mind, be free to tell me. No one will be harmed”

”He’s right, maybe you should just give up, Faegard?” his own inner voice bent under the pressure advised. ”You just have to survive! Your life at this time is more important than anything else! Not even your ideals!”

”Not even my… ideals?” Faegard questioned himself. ”Is survival… that important?”

”Yes, yes, yes! Aren’t you tired of your ideals already?” his cowardly self spoke hastily. ”What have you to gain going out with a bang or turning insane at this stage? Nothing!”

”Wouldn’t that betray the… purpose of a Paladin?”

”Preposterous!” hastily reasoned his cowardly inner self. ”Even the Captain, pardon me, the late Captain had told you that. Drop the Paladin act, and live like who you are! What is happening right before you is important, not some senseless dogma that can’t even save lives”

”If you can hear this, that means my worst fear had come to reality, my friend.”

For one second Faegard thought the pain had driven him to hallucination. But the voice he could hear was so clear, so real, as if pouring straight into his mind without passing through his ears. So distinct and potent it was that the voice overrode a portion of Elvaht’s reverse information influx. It was just enough for him to hear while not making his situation any worse, as if specifically designed to counter Elvaht’s assault.

”What? Who’s there?” Faegard questioned.

“This is Professor Banner speaking. This voice will only activate when you are under the direct influence of Elvaht’s mind manipulation.”

”But how did you know?”

The voice continued, ignoring his question.

”The M2M Drive’s Reverse Control is created solely to accommodate this. Activate the drive, it will take care of the rest.”

”But exactly how?” even Faegard’s moral consciousness was getting desperate, twisted by the pain approaching the limit.

”Your mind holds the control. Focus. Just focus all your thoughts into the machine. The drive itself will start without any manual control.”

The advice seemed as nonsensical as could be judging from the situation at hand. With Elvaht stuffing his brain, there was no way he could focus on anything. Perhaps following the suggestion of his cowardly self wouldn’t seem to be so bad an idea after all…

And then all of a sudden there was another explosion, once again shaking the entire dimension. But unlike the previous time, the blast was vastly more powerful – not only did it throw Faegard aground his well-footed adversary was similarly shaken.

“What on Earth?” Elvaht cursed aloud as he struggled to stand up straight amid the turmoil. His effort was quite effective, as the worst the impact did to him was to stagger his posture and forcing him to use all his limbs to regain balance. From start to finish, the torturer was off his balance for barely a couple of seconds.

But those couple of seconds he lost focus could never be regained. And that was just about enough for the elf’s self-defense mechanism to kick in. A flash of determination ran through Faegard’s head, his mind gaining focus on his survival and escape as a concept. When Elvaht could act upon it, Faegard was already in the middle of a trance-like state of being.

All of a sudden, there was a huge bolt of flash tearing through the very fabrics of the dimension, followed by a deafening thunderclap, just like an approaching storm. The bolt of lightning struck the elf vertically, the spark ensuing covered his entire body. And then the column of thunder, the multiple sparks surrounding the target as well as the target itself suddenly turned to a green, scintillating tint.

So magnificent the phenomenon was that the belligerent torturer could only leave his mouth gaping open in awe. When he finally recovered from the trance and attempted to regain control of the elf’s mind like before, his effort seemed to have had no effect any more. The column of lightning was effectively shielding his victim from each and every effort he could garner at the moment.

And then Faegard opened his eyes, staring at his opponent. His was such a terrifying stare that Elvaht was unnerved for the second time, this time backing up for a good half-score steps. And unlike before, there was no fury in Faegard’s look. No vengeful glint, no murderous glare, not even the slightest hint of annoyance. Nothing. Nothing but tranquility, like a priest in the middle of his meditation. But perhaps that was why his presence was ten times more frightening than it used to be.

“It’s time to finish this, Major Elvaht von Krieger of the Colonial Confederate!” Faegard spoke, placing stress on every word he uttered.

His opponent was not without pride, however. Faegard’s threatening composure could only take him that far before Elvaht retorted with all due ferocity a soldier of his caliber should have.

“Finish this? You, sir, and whose army?” he raised his eyebrow. “Have you ever considered the gap between our skills both here and in the real world?”

“I’ll see to that,” Faegard asserted.

To conclude what he had to say, Faegard stomped the ground with as much strength as he could muster. To Elvaht’s astonishment, from the point of impact, a small crack in the fabrics of the dimension began to materialize. With a series of breaking sound, the cracks widened rapidly into a net of fissures, then crevasse, and finally, wide, irreparable gorges. Weird beams of eerie lights shone through the shattering ground, further illuminating Faegard and his odd trance-like presence.

“Let’s get out of here,” was the last words escaping the elf’s lips, before the dimension itself fell apart piecemeal, swallowing both occupants with it.

“Status report!”

“Sir, Captain Einherjar Ritter’s unit had been shot down by hostile units! The green Daimyo had taken a direct hit on the shoulder by the Hiryuu Shinkiro’s wing slasher! Both the green Daimyo and the Shishioh are still not making any move!”

It was perhaps the weirdest moments in Captain Zabrovich’s life. First there was an irregular enemy army destroying an allied army in mere minutes. Then one of the surviving allied unit tended to turn rogue. Then an experienced officer of the army taking off without clearance, running off to cover said allied unit from friendly fire. Then said officer got shot down by one of that army, and then everything started to get messy. By the time the green Daimyo got a solid blow from the Hiryuu, the experienced captain had completely lost track of where everything was going.

“Sir, what is going on? What should we do next?” the troubled operator asked out aloud. “Should we…”

“That is beyond me, son,” answered the captain as he observed the event unraveling before him. “Chances are, what we have learnt today will make a fine tale to pass on to our children and grandchildren. If we survive, that is.”

“Sir, looks like…”

To cut the operator’s off, the analyst sitting on the far side of the bridge exclaimed in fascination as she glanced at her computer screen.

“Captain!” she shouted. “The Shishioh… its pilot is experiencing a… strange… F-Stat progress! The readings are thoroughly off the scale!”

“Show the relevant statistics on the main screen!” ordered the captain.

The next moment saw the entire bridge filled to the brim with exclamations of extreme amazement from all of the crew operators, bar none. On the main screen, the charts depicting Faegard’s F-Stats were displaying a sharp spike, rising at an almost vertical angle at every passing second.

“F-Syncronization rate at 94… 95… 96… 97… 99…” recited one operator excitedly.

“It’s over 100%!” shouted another. “It’s now approaching 105%... 110%”

“F-Utilization Quotient has risen above 10!” another noted. “How could all this happen?”

The calm and decisive captain tried to come up with a logical conclusion to the phenomenon. He called for the nearest operator.

“Is there any mechanical error on our part? Or technological shortcomings, perhaps?” he asked. “Or even operating errors?”

“No, sir, not one!” said operator shook her head repeatedly. “These readings are as good as perfect!”

The astonishment was yet to end there.

“Look, everyone! The Shishioh is moving! It’s moving!”

Nothing, not even the disciplined presence of the Captain, could stop his entire bridge crew from spontaneously leaving their posts and lunged for the main screen. Even the Captain himself, temporarily abandoning his disciplined behavior, ran down the Captain’s commanding pulpit towards the screen.

The Shishioh was indeed moving. First came its fingers, then its forearms, then its shoulders, feet, leg, and torso. And then the entire machine rumbled back to action, drawing its weapon from the ground, to the awe of everyone in its presence. For a second, the Captain held his breath, turning towards the missile launch operators. For any reason, if the machine would make a move against his ship, he would order the launch. There was no doubt about it.

That moment was never realized. Instead, in its place was a much more majestic scene, perhaps the single most magnificent event to have occurred in his entire lifetime. The machine in its entirety began to glow green as it stood up. Sparks of energy bolts shooting from nowhere surrounded its shape, forming a shield of lightning covering it at all angles. The sparks specifically concentrated around the machine’s palms, resembling when it was readying its magical attacks, and the back, around where the engine exhausts lay.

And then the montage was completed by a blinding flash, this time blanketing the Shishioh in its entirety. So intense it was that the operators closest to the main screen were taken aback, frantically covering their eyes. The flash culminated into a pillar-like beam of blue-green light, shooting up from the core of the Shishioh, piercing the sky, temporarily outshining sunlight itself. Those most victimized by the Shishioh’s wondrous performance were the enemies themselves, unconditionally backing off from Faegard’s position with no sense of order whatsoever, resulting in a partial rout.

When the flash and the column of light had all faded away, the greatest wonder of the day had unveiled itself. The Shishioh, after the fanciful blast of light, was standing in mid-air. Behind its back spread a large pair of metallic wings, bathed in a now-familiar blue-green aura. Neither were they mechanical plane-wing nor feathery angelic ones, but rather a draconic one – webbed, scaly, and every bit as majestic as the machine’s pose itself.

Looking at its armaments revealed another level of wonder in their own rights. The Granleon blade was now bursting aflame, completely outshining the glint of the original anti-beam surface. The dull, gold-painted plates of the machine from top to bottom was universally replaced with glaring replacements, sparkling as if made of authentic gold. Both its arms were reinforced with gauntlet-like plates, overwhelming the other pieces of armor in terms of aura. And there, in the middle of the sky, the machine suspended itself, its weapon in hand, pointing towards his enemies, like a fearless, winged war god ready to rain fury down its enemies.

‘Baffle’ didn’t begin to explain what the rest of the crews of the Alexander felt at the mere sight of the flying Shishioh’s presence. Captain Zabrovich was the first to regain his composure, but even then, his voice was quite clueless.

“What is THAT supposed to be?” he asked aloud, thoroughly believing that no one else could answer that question. He was not exactly right in that aspect.

“So the Dragon Lion Emperor had awaken…”

The Captain turned back to find standing at the doorway the pale, crooked figure of Professor Banner. The man was showing a broad smile of satisfaction, as the standard fare for a scientist having witnessed his experiment to fruition.

“Professor, what is this all about?” questioned the ship’s captain.

“If equipped with the M2M Interface, when piloted by the right person at the right place and the right time, the Lion King will make its ascension into the ultimate Mechanized Frame,” explained the Professor with all due fascination. “Ryushitei, the Dragon Lion Emperor.”

“We weren’t informed of any of this!” the Captain exclaimed in displeasure. “Why did you only inform us of this now?”

“Because even I am not certain of this,” calmly responded the professor. “Remember that the original plans of the Shishioh is almost as old as the Crimson Society itself – I am merely a cog in the entire machine.”

“I see,” the Captain settled down with a grumpy sigh, before going on. “But how do you think it will fare in this battle?”

“I can only tell you one thing,” nodded the professor for no reason. “The green Daimyo is finished. With the Hiryuu Shinkiro into the equation, not even the legendary Char or Amuro at its helm can save it now.”

“How… dare you damage my Isabella to this extent!”

The table had turned faster than Elvaht could understand what was happening. He realized what the cause of the last explosion was the moment he felt himself returned to his pilot seat – the Hiryuu Shinkiro’s wing blades had detached from its body and was currently lodged into his machine’s shoulder. The mounted ordnances were slashed in half, and the entire injured arm itself was bleeding sparks, rendered immobile.

And then he saw the Shishioh’s… magnificent transformation, to say the least. If the sight of the huge column of light not demoralized his soldiers already, then the new Shishioh would have. Even the most battle-hardened of soldiers in his loyal Huskarl unit was drifting away from the golden winged machine, cowering together in clumps, thoroughly unable to provide him with support fire.

Next thing he knew, the transformed Shishioh proceeded to attack him without delay. Any confidence he had remaining was lost at that very point. His superb skills and reaction rate ended up to be even slower than that of his opponent, his F-Barrier pierced without exception whenever he let a stray attack slip by, and his only remaining weapon was simply useless before the opponent’s flawless F-Barrier. Barely a minute had passed when the green Daimyo found itself to be in no shape to continue the battle.

“You’re not going to get away, bastard!”

To make matters worse for him, Elvaht didn’t have to face Faegard alone. The pilot he had beaten just fifteen minutes go with a solid blow had risen up from his apparent defeat, and with his flight-capable model, laying the smackdown on him at another angle.

“Give Ein back to us!” Kuro roared, delivering another slash with his Overcharged Beam Sword aimed at the green Daimyo’s head.

Parrying the attack left him open for an extra heavy rocket fist from the flying Shishioh, which he could only avoid by a hair through sheer luck. Quickly barrel-rolling to a relative safety, he was greeted by a cluster rockets from the Hiryuu’s multi-launchers, which he dodged with greater ease. But however he looked at it, the longer that dogfight went on, the greater the chance he would get shot down. With the close distance between him and his attackers, even if his troops were ordered to provide support fire, there was an extremely high chance they would end up hitting him instead. And he had more than one reasons to not take the risk.

“All units, this is the Daimyo Isabella!” he exclaimed through the radio, dodging another blow at the meantime. “Retreat from this area, at flank speed! Remain in formation and support one another. Over!”

There was a moment of confusion in his rank as the troops looked at one another, and then at their struggling commander. It didn’t take them too long to reach the conclusion of following order, however. Quickly, the battalion-sized unit arranged themselves in support formation, preparing themselves for departure.

It was as if they could escape safely.

“Ahoy, mateys, we are back! Show them who’s the boss out here, boys! Flog’em good!”

That seemingly out-of-palce exclamation originated from deep below the ground. Before the enemies could well understand what was going on, the ground began to rumble, as if the already ruined city was graced with another earthquake. And then, to the astonishment of all those present, both friend and foes, the ground split open right under the enemy air formation.

The split grew larger with each rumble, and when the enemies knew what the noises and cracks were all about, it was already too late for any further maneuvers. From below the ground emerged a gigantic ship’s bow, as large as several building blocks, thrusting its way out of the ground. As it earthed, a multitude of turrets of different sizes and shapes littering its surface started to move, pointing towards the retreating enemies.

And then there was a huge beam launched towards the enemies. Or rather, a plethora of smaller, anti-MF beams fired simultaneously in a line. The tightly packed formation of the retreaters made it nigh impossible to avoid the multitude of shots. The result was a corresponding number of explosions in the sky as the beams cleaved through the enemy formation, claiming lives and machines alike.

It was like a firework performance in mid-day – the sky was filled with blasts that seemed strangely beautiful to the Union soldiers observing it. The performance ended with the sky clogged in smoke and the ground in Daimyo remains. While the surviving Union soldiers stood in awe at that performance, about a third of the enemies got away. It didn’t matter to them any longer, however...

< Message edited by Argeus the Paladin -- 10/19/2009 3:25:35 >
DF  Post #: 29
10/19/2009 3:26:26   
Argeus the Paladin

Conclusion
“Steeloak”

“Sergeant Faegard Thunderwood Elfblade, waiting for orders.”

“At rest, Sergeant Elfblade.”

If only he could be ‘at rest’ with two eagle-eyed high-commissioned officers peering at him at point-blank. Colonel Albert and Captain Zabrovich of the Alexander, the more Faegard knew about them, the more fear-inspiring they appeared.

“You have removed your headband, Sergeant,” said Colonel Albert.

“Yes, sir,” Faegard replied, his uneasiness somewhat eased by the officer’s casualness. “I was advised by Lieutenant Saionji that since the entire army knows of my true identity now, wearing a headband any longer would just make me look ridiculous.”

“Mmm… she’s grown up to become a woman with a fine sense of fashion,” remarked the commanding officer in an off-beat streak. “By the way, how has the Lieutenant been faring after the victory at the Battle of Tokyo?”

Battle of Tokyo. The name had a nice ring to it, to say the least.

The battle in its entirety had been done and over with for two weeks now, completed with the flushing out of the remaining Confederate strongholds in the remaining districts of the city. Its sheer scale and the tactical advantages gained in the aftermath of that battle made Faegard feel rather proud to have played a role in it. The fact that both he and Kuro were promoted in its wake as a testament to their bravery had only reinforced that notion.

But was that truly a victory? Faegard thought not.

While in actual battle, he never paid attention to the allied casualties around him. Partly that was because they were not his flesh-and-blood Elven compatriots. It was only when the battles had ended and he saw the statistic did he realize what a devastating war it had been. To regain control of an already ravaged city with, to put it in the Colonel’s own word, “no electricity, no water, no market, no industry, no commerce, nothing,” they had lost fifteen thousand men, nearly four hundred main battle tanks, five hundred jet fighters, and thirty-six MFs of all makes and designs. Including the losses before the retaking of the city began, the total losses of the Union side would have been upward of sixty thousand lives, more than half of which were citizens. To put it in perspective, that was half of the population of Silverlush in its heydays. Even though they’ve retaken the city and regained the ship of the line, Faegard could still question if it was all worth it.

And there was always Captain Einherjar Ritter’s case…

“Sergeant Elfblade?” urged the Colonel, snapping Faegard out of his thinking. “Did something cross your mind?”

“Y… Yes sir!” Faegard stammered in panic. “I mean… No sir!”

“Actually, I’ve already known,” the Colonel nodded. “Ayaka is certainly having a hard time these days, doesn’t she?”

“Yes, sir,” Faegard bent his neck. “About the Captain…”

Indeed, it was too early even at that time to make any conclusion about his Captain’s survival. After the battle was over, the paramedic team managed to recover the mass-produced Stahlpferd’s cockpit block, severely damaged as it was. Ein survived the crash miraculously somehow, but his injuries were such that even the best doctor in the entire country was unable to decide if he would even wake up again or not.

Since that day neither Faegard nor Kuro had had a chance to meet their Lieutenant again. She had stationed herself in the hospital, taking care of the Captain for any second she was awake. As a hospital administrator put it, had the group been given any combat order during those two weeks, she would have rather deserted the army than leave Ein for even a second.

“Well, judging from her personality, even if he never woke up, she would stubbornly wait for him,” the Colonel remarked. “That’s the Ayaka I know. The girl who takes the mother she had never met as a rolemodel and play against her type fulfilling that role at any possible opportunities.”

“It had taken a miracle just for him to be alive,” Faegard commented with a sad undertone. “Maybe the gods had run out of miracles for him this time.”

“…and that was my fault,” he concluded, keeping his head down.

Thoroughly waiting for something much more ominous or tragic, Faegard was taken aback when he saw the large smile adorning the face of both officers.

“You need not worry about that, Sergeant,” declared Colonel Albert, “Einherjar Z. Ritter has just been proven to be one of, if not the luckiest devil in this entire army. And I mean what I said.”

“Sir?” Faegard couldn’t stop himself rolling his eyes in a perceivably rude way at his superior, unable to comprehend what was happening.

“Captain Einherjar Z. Ritter had woken up at last,” Colonel Zabrovich stated with a semi-serious tone. “Even the hospital staff didn’t know just how he made it – whether it was some sort of blind luck, a divine grace, or just simply because the lucky landlubber refuses to go out with a bang. He just… happens to find today a nice day and up he jumped from his coma. Just like that.”

Faegard couldn’t believe his ears any longer.

“Did you… mean what you said, Captain Zabrovich?” he asked back with all due fervor.

“Do I look like the kind to joke around with life-and-death matters, son?” the captain gave out a string of hearty laughter as he glanced at Faegard’s face. “And does he recover fast!”

No words could escape Faegard’s lips as he finally understood what had happened. Instead, his eyes started filling up with tears, and as he smiled of relief, those tears were free to flow down his cheeks. Some kind of joy he had never felt before filled his heart. For a brief second the child in him felt like rushing up to the Colonels and embracing them in gratitude, only to be stopped by his more mature self. Hardly had he recovered from such a news when Colonel Albert knocked him back into reality with another statement.

“However, we didn’t call you here today just to inform you of that news,” he said.

“Is there anything I can help you with, sir?” Faegard stood up straight, saluting the commanders, his voice up high. “I… I will do whatever I can!”

“It is nothing, in fact,” Captain Zabrovich said with a friendly look. “It turned out that the Uchuu no Tsubasa was churned out of the factory so quickly to meet the shortened schedule that they didn’t even christen the girl! This, may I add, is bad, bad omen for us seafarers.”

“So… what should I do, sir?” Faegard asked eagerly.

“Your exploits in the last battle prompted us to officially grant you the honor to name our ship of the line,” explained Colonel Albert. “As long as it is not a nonsensical, offensive, or otherwise unusable name, we will adopt it, or any variance thereof.”

’Steeloak’?”

The look on Ein’s face and the laughter he was trying to contain didn’t particularly amuse Faegard, to say the least.

“Steeloak is the name that will go down in we elves’ history books for aeons as the battlefield where thousands of our compatriots, old and young, male and female, archers, swordsmen or wizards had hold out against the superior forces of the evil Lord Mortigius!” Faegard flailed his arms around as he gave his patriotic lecture. “If, or rather when, we rebuild our nation, the day those thousands of honorable elves had fallen will be a national holiday! With a festival, if that should be fit, in the name of those who had given up their lives for…”

His non sequitur was called off with a clonk on his head. Covering his injury and turning back, Faegard realized Aya was standing behind him all along, herself not being able to contain her laughter.

“Sorry, our Captain doesn’t need yet another lecture in your Elven history, culture or whatsoever,” she said with a teasing look in her eyes. “Can’t you just let sleeping sick lie?”

“Thank you, and no thank you,” Ein cracked out. “Can’t you understand the poor miserable dude being locked out of his supplies of anime and manga until these legs heal? I need jokes to survive. Some good one.”

Normally Ein wouldn’t need his arms and leg all that much with the self-named Open Hikikomori lifestyle of his. Had a particular young woman not separated him and his stash of entertainment, he could have as well cared less. Unfortunately for him, Aya was quite serious on forcing him to stop his ‘unhealthy habit’, at least for the time being. As if being forced to stay in bed in a tiny personal cubicle could be healthy in any sense of the word, he often complained, to no avail.

“But that’s not a joke!” Faegard asserted. “It is a serious attempt to honor the…”

“Enough there,” Aya clonked Faegard on the head jokingly again. “Mr. History Lecturer, this is still early evening. I don’t want to fall asleep yet, alright?”

“Well, at least that name was adopted by those in charge,” Faegard stepped back, looking at the duo victoriously. “At least I’m proud I could commemorate those martyrs here and now.”

“Bah,” Aya stuck her tongue out at Faegard. “Wouldn’t White Wing or something like that made a better name? The name of the class is Universal Wing for goodness’ sake, and the paint is wh…”

“That’s enough, Aya,” Ein burst out laughing, interrupting the feisty woman. “You say that word again, and someone is going to get into trouble. Just saying.”

Perhaps it was supposed to be a joke, as the duo started laughing out loud immediately after that, while Faegard was caught at a loss for words.

“By the way,” Faegard quickly changed the topic. “I haven’t seen Princess Nagoyaka or Sergeant Renzoku for the past two weeks. What had happened to them?”

That question seemed to have touched a nerve, all of a sudden silencing both of his companions. It was a while before Ein began speaking again.

“I don’t actually worry much about Kuro as I am about the Princess,” he said. “After all, Colonel Renzoku can’t be more pleased with his performance in this campaign, so at most he’ll get a snarky comment or two every day. But Nagoyaka-san is a different story altogether.”

“Is there something I didn’t know, sir?” Faegard asked.

“Nagoyaka Industries representatives just talked to us a few days before,” Aya said. “Apparently we are not authorized to contact her for the time being.”

“Is there such a rule that allows that?” Faegard raised his eyebrows.

“Well, our best bet is she has something to do with some secret pieces of technology,” Ein said. “Knowing Nagoyaka Industries, they are unscrupulous enough to use the heiress herself as experimental subject. But there is no way we can find out about it. No legal way, that is.”

“Then…”

“Hey, guys, cheer up! We’re soldiers all right?” Ein answered with a more optimistic tone. “We live to follow orders and hope that they don’t mistreat us too badly. That’s all what we can expect, especially in wartimes like this. Best to look forward to out next missions than caring too much about what is beyond our capabilities.”

“The next mission,” Aya asked. “We are going aboard the new Uchuu no Tsubasa, right?”

“Steeloak,” Faegard reminded. “And the answer to that is yes.”

“Everyone,” Ein said with a broad smile, reaching out for his two visitors’ shoulders. “Somehow I get this feeling that this battleship will observe much of history as it happens. Let’s do our best, alright?”

“In the name of Steeloak, yes!” answered Faegard as he gazed into the early night sky. There the single moon stood alit amidst the stars, as if offering a testament to the exiled elf’s adventure and deeds.

That same moon would observe much, much more, or so Faegard felt. But there would be a lot more he needed to do.

”Until then, my dear Greenglaze, until then.”

DF  Post #: 30
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Bookshelves] >> Other Creative Prose >> RE: Elven Robot Taisen (For want of a better name)
Page 2 of 2<12
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition