Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

The Systems Chronicles Book 1 - C&C

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> The Systems Chronicles Book 1 - C&C
Page 1 of 3123>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
4/17/2009 5:11:45   
Argeus the Paladin

Book 1 is now finished, renamed and awaits your reading.

As you may guess, this story is a spark-of-a-moment idea of mine - a combination between Super Robot Wars and Lord of the Rings. There are elves, a Dark Lord, as well as a Super Prototype Mecha and a whole lot of technobabble. But I do it in a way different from AE - we now have an elf who pilots said Super Prototype and fight dragons.

Synopsis: Following a massive invasion of the Dark Lord, the elven kingdom of Greenglaze in the world of Mediava was completely wiped off the map as its survivor fled, or attempted to do so, to safety. In the rout, the 50-year-old (mind you, 50 year old = teenage in Elven calendar... isn't it?) Prince Faegard was cut off from the rest of the refugees, ending up defenseless when he was found by a thirty-feet-tall mountain giant hell-bent on having a piece of him. The prince was saved by an event involving a teleporting warp going berserk, finding himself in the cockpit of the Super Prototype Shishioh Nishiki (Lion King Type 2) of the Global Union Army. Mechs, dragons and aliens ensue.

A couple of notes: In this story I am following the Super Robot Wars example of Theme Naming. For the prologue, for instance:

- Elven names: You know the drill from Warcraft. Need I say more?

- Dark Lord and faction names:

+ Dark Lord: Mortigius. (Mortigi is kill in Esperanto)
+ Black Knights of Llouche: Anagram for the win. Sorry Lulu.
+ Vermillion Raven: Replace "raven" by "sparrow" and you will get Vermillion Sparrow, "Suzaku". Sorry Zerozaku.

- GUA names/mech names:

+ Kurogane Renzoku: Kurogane means iron. Renzoku means continue. Oh, and Kuro means black/run.
+ Einherjar Ritter: "Lone Warrior Knight". Although it is a broken combination of Norse and German.
+ Shishioh: "Lion King". "Nishiki" means second generation, and in this case, Type 2. Thank you, Super Robot Wars. I intend to code-name the Ichishiki "Mustafa" and the Nishiki "Simba". See the reference?
+ Stehlpferd/Weiss Stehlpferd: Listen to Kuro - "What is the use of a steel horse?" Oh, and "weiss" means white. A reference to both Excellen Browning and Elzam von Branstein (Ratsel Feinschmacker)
+ Hiryuu: "Flying Dragon". Famous for the Hiryuu Custom and Captain Lefina.
+ Sturmgewehr: named after a WWII German rifle, "Storm Gun".
+ FALCON System: Because acronyms are awesome.

Well, this is what I am planning for my character for now:

(Note that the sketches below are to keep them in-character. No copyright infringement involved)

1) Kurogane Renzoku: What would become of Raidiese F. Branstein if he hadn't (i) fallen in love with his sister in law, (ii) seen his brother kill said sister in law off and (iii) still has both hands.

2) Einherjar Ritter: Pretty much an older version of Ryusei Date with Kamina/Sanger's awesome sauce and Irmgult's easy-going attitude.

3) Prince Faegard Elfblade: A younger version of Legolas who doesn't have the slightest idea of what on Mediava is going on.

As for now... any idea for the title?

EDIT: How could I have made such a mistake? "Vermillion Sparrow" is Suzaku, not Li Xingke.

< Message edited by Argeus the Paladin -- 11/22/2009 22:27:00 >
DF  Post #: 1
4/17/2009 6:10:12   
Crimzon5

Is this another one of those crossovers? Tsk... you always seem to amaze me with your "uniqueness".

Can you see the Visions?
AQ DF  Post #: 2
4/19/2009 23:38:59   
Argeus the Paladin

No, this is not a crossover. It is an original story. But it sure is a genre crossover. Think LotR with super robots...
DF  Post #: 3
4/24/2009 5:13:22   
Argeus the Paladin

Chapter one up!

Okay, so here I'd like to make an announcement as well as on the Seisen Engi thread.

The Holy War project has come to a temporary closure.

As much as I have many endearing plans for this project, it is most likely that I will have to temporarily put it on hold for now. It is not the rejection I've just gotten that had prompted me to say this - I know very well that a professional author's path is harsh and full of tough challenges. Nor is it the ANU - you see, with minimum revision I've managed to crop up a 73% on my mid-term for Money Market - not bad at all, considering that that exam was terribly ruined by indigestion, which forced me to forsake a fourth of the paper due to stomach disturbance.

It is just that... when I reread my work, I realize that something has gone very, very wrong. It feels as if it isn't my work. Firefly, when the only character in my work you root for is an expy of Kimiko Nasu's lead in Tsukihime, I realize that it isn't the right way for a work to go on, at least for the moment being.

As of now, simple editing won't work on this story. What would work is a full-scaled rewrite, the scale of HotD. I wouldn't probably have time for it until much, much later on, maybe at the end of this year, when I have a juicy three-month break to spare.

I am sure that one day, I will fulfill this work that I have envisioned about. Thank you, Firefly, Fabula, for your help all along.

Therefore, I would ask that any of you who had taken at least an ounce of interest in the Holy War project, please consider reading the Elven Robot War project.

It is a crossover, and it is vastly more original than the Holy War project (which wouldn't probably reach the truly original stage until the third installation). The only things that are not original in the Elven Robot project are along the lines of acceptability, because, as you know, every D&D/LotR/Warcraft geek loves elves and every Tokusatsu/SF manga/anime otaku loves super robots.

(And every language geek loves German and Japanese, because they sounds awesome.)

As for now, please read and enjoy!

"Ware wa Faegaado! Faegaado Erufuburado! Yami o Tatsu Tsurugi Nari!"

^^ That wouldn't happen in the story, though T.T
DF  Post #: 4
4/24/2009 8:42:45   
Crimzon5

Did I jsut see "Lion King"? Tsk... Disney! Anyway, if you have plans on this being published, let's attack the minimal errors as well.

quote:

The long-living elves, with all that to back them up, were more than confident that any attack against them or their forested sanctuary would be suicidal at best.

No need for that, right?

quote:

It turned out that the Dark Lord’s armies were not just made of the ominous staple Black Knights of Llouche and the Vermillion Raven Divisions, but also a plethora of other creatures, factions and
Black knights? I cant believe you spelled his name wrong! (By the way... I'm a ninja now xD)

quote:

Trolls, goblins, mountain giants, orcs, and even the mighty Red Dragons had joined his cause, bolstering the Dark Lord’s ranks, bringing any hope of resistance to the point of absurdity.

If Elves and Dragons are capitalized, what about the other races?

quote:

The deafening roars of the mighty winged beasts, coupled with the thundering war drums and the savage cries from the chaotic horde of wild creatures of darkness and the dementing groans of the Dark Lord’s personal necromantic army in unison formed the most infernal symphony that the remaining elves had ever heard during their whole lives.

No word in my dictionary...

For consistency, be sure whether elven should be capitalized or not throught the story.

quote:

The ruler promptly grabbed his longsword out of reflex, springing up from his table, cleared his throat, as if to regain composure, and shouted out in the most courageous voice he could muster.

Long sword is 2 words. (1 word in RPG games)

quote:

All unit, battle station level 1!”

unitS, right?

quote:

flat on the ground, while spoonfeeding the sense of danger into anyone still unsure of what was happening.

spoon-feeding <-- see the hyphen

I'll read the chapter one soon. Also, I'd like to commend your writing effort. You have the longest works in the forums. Also, compared to the last one, you seem to have fixed the proper way of character's shouting and emphasizing.

AQ DF  Post #: 5
4/25/2009 10:40:24   
Fleur Du Mal

Hello there!

I'm very interested in how you'll be able to tie the nature-loving quality of the elves together with high-end-mecha-technology. Shall his kin look down upon the Prince? Ah, don't tell me, let me find out by reading!

Note: The link you have in the title of the first post has those yellow questionmarks embedded into it:
http://forums2.battleon.com/f/tm.asp?m=15862490&mpage=1&key=?

You might want to "fix it" by removing the stuff after m=15862490.

I've now read all you've posted so far. The first scene of the prologue makes a good introduction and opening. The next scene, however, confuses me. I'm not at all sure if it's good to have something so different in its mood in a prologue. Although it might serve its purpose in introducing the two crossing-over genres of the story, I still find that the scene two breaks up the mood and setting and the structure of a prologue.

So, I started to think, if your story would benefit from a reorganisation of the scenes and chapters. How about cutting the prologue so that it would include only the first scene? You'd then have a prologue with a strong beginning (your opening paragraph is splendid!) and an ominous and alluring ending. That would make it a clear and concise entity, imho.

Chapter 1 has that kind of beginning as if it was made to be the first chapter and therefore, I think it would be best as is, but the second scene would serve good as a chapter of its own, chapter 2. This would make way to the reinstallation of scene 2 from the prologue as scene 2 from chapter 1.

This is just an idea, give it a thought and use or reject, whatever you think serves the story best.

Some suggestions on stylistic details:
1) Well, as I said, I think your opening paragraph is splendid. If you want to make the very first sentence even more impactful, I think you could move the last part of it to the next sentence, thus presenting only the core message in the first. This would make it even clearer, imo:
quote:

Power in the form of immortality, invincibility and dominion, those words had been luring tyrants, conquerors and dark lords of terror like no other since time immemorial. Perceiving them as the solution to whatever problems they came across, they would not for one second hesitate throwing away the lives of hundreds and thousands in the quest for such powers, sparking wars and mounting expeditions in the hope of achieving that goal.

Changed part bolded.

2) As I've been nagging to you in the Seisen Engi thread, imo, you still have the tendency to occasionally overdefine and overstress things.
Eg, in prologue, scene 1:
quote:

And with that power, it took the Dark Lord’s army almost no time to close in on the walls of Silverlush, the glorious capital of the Elven kingdom, the city that had never once succumbed to any invading army throughout its existence.

You are basically saying the same thing again, imo. I view this as overstressing something without any actual effect or with the opposite effect. I think fewer words would be clearer here:
'..., the city that had never succumbed to an invading army.'

In chapter 1, scene 1:
quote:

That statement was like a sledgehammer blow squarely on the face for the Paladin, almost causing him to notifiably stagger.

Imo, this is overdefining. As in 'the blow was so hard as to almost cause him to stagger that the others would notice - but not quite!'
It takes away the effect of the atonishment. Instead of describing what the Paladin almost did, describe what he did or what he felt.
Suggestion: since you have described in the next sentence:
quote:

It took him a good couple of seconds to stern himself up once more.

I think you could simple just cut the bolded part out of the previous sentence. The following one does explain that the blow was hard enough to force him out of his balanced state.

My eyes did catch a few typos, but since I choose to rather enjoy your writing and get a general idea where this story is going, I didn't do any real typohunting. I think you'll catch them easily, though if and when you go back to your text for edits.

WriteOn!

< Message edited by fabula -- 4/25/2009 10:41:14 >
DF  Post #: 6
4/26/2009 20:05:52   
Argeus the Paladin

Thanks you guys for the timely comments!

Now let's see what we have here...

1) Crimz's edits:

- Lion King: No, I did say it. Actually, this is a double reference in its own rights.
+ In Super Robot Wars there is a secret weapon that does 4000 base damage at 1 range and 45 BtH, which is called Shishioh Blade. At first I thought it was named after Makoto Shishio of Rurouni Kenshin, until I found out that someone's combat dialogue has this weapon's name in kanji rather than katakana. A quick Wikitionary search reveals that "shishi" means "lion" and "oh"... need I say more after the phenomenon that was Yugi-oh?
+ And yes, Disney. What a coincidence. I am planning an "I call it Simba" in later chapters to emphasize this.

- Would you really want me to have my fortune sued out of me by Sunrise? There is NO WAY I am making a Code Geass reference without either (i) cross-language translation or (ii) anagram!

- Oh yes. That is a common typo in my story telling to forget to capitalize the name of races, or capitalizing in some place and not in others. Looks like a Ctrl + F will work wonders...

That one is basically done.

- Looks like I'll have to change "dementing" for the simpler "maddening" then. And done.

- Err... nope. Very often longsword is considered one word, adn I think it is acceptable there.

- Argeus has failed in his impersonating Captain Daitetsu Minase... did he? Okay, fixed.

2) Fabula's edits: Should I say that I thoroughly welcome your constant nagging? I'd like to say that again this time... and concluding that I appreciate all of your input for this one occasion. I've mended off the pasts you marked now though.

Thanks everyone!

< Message edited by Argeus the Paladin -- 4/26/2009 20:25:29 >
DF  Post #: 7
5/8/2009 3:57:02   
Argeus the Paladin

Chapter 2 is up!

Should I say how much I hate filler chapters? Oh well, this is not the time for ranting, anyway.

So, to generalize the plot at this point,

spoiler:

We will have vampires. Clearly we will. Ever since I found out the existence of Twilight, I can't help but seek to include vampires in every single scenario I paint up.

As of present, I am planning a (temporary) antagonist by the name of Elward von Cullen (Elzam von Branstein and Edward Cullen, if you are clueless), who always paint his mech black, and calls her it Isabella. Of course, I'll refer to him and his mech as these until I can figure out a nice Scandinavian/Germanic name for this guy and his horse mech.

Read and enjoy!
DF  Post #: 8
5/13/2009 6:10:16   
Argeus the Paladin

I usually wouldn't post a half-chapter, but today I'm just being lazy. Please bear with me until I get this chapter done.

In terms of my next intentions:

spoiler:

Now, where were we? Elward von Cullen? Now let's see if we can make something even more ridiculous. How about Shinn Asuka and Jacob Black? We have a name of Zakewa/Jakewa Kuroi (Jacob + New (shin) + Black (Kuroi - Kuro is for Kurogane, so I'd best not repeat it again)), for a start, with double the angst factor.
DF  Post #: 9
5/14/2009 1:41:31   
Argeus the Paladin

Finished the chapter. Now then, read and enjoy/spork, guys!
DF  Post #: 10
5/14/2009 5:26:41   
Crimzon5

Mechvalry... and mechfantry? *Expects mechers to come soon*

quote:

S… Silverlush… is… lost, my… my prince… You… you must escape!”

quote:

Aargh… make… make it stop! Make it stop! The noise… I can’t stand it any longer!”

quote:

Am… am I still alive?” Faegard

quote:

It… it can’t end like this! My… my people need me!”

quote:

Not human?” the words rang Faegard a huge bell. Are they talking about me? And

quote:

And they have found time to search for and heal me...”

quote:

Wait… what? Come again?” Faegard thought,

quote:

That… that seems to be the case, sir.”

quote:

Nnngh… Pull yourself together

Small but hardly-noticeable error: quotation mark is facing the wrong side. WARNING: There might be more :O

Also, you still havenet fixed the uniformity whether a race (elves) should be capitalized or not.

quote:

forming the pandemonic orchestra of carnage and destruction that would please no one except Death himself.

Pandemonium (or something like that) - in a game I play, it is a giant sword with the highest attack power but it comes with a VERY huge speed boost. Anyhow... I know tht pandemonium (spelling?) means extreme chaos (or was it fear?). Any how... the bolded word right there... aint a word.

quote:

“We have to hold to this… boy for now. We can’t afford to have someone with such an absurdly high F-stats as an enemy, or even among our enemies.” Another contemplating pause ensued, as the man in charge considered the options. “As of present, we must priorize

spelling check!

quote:

”Priorize… my survival? Don’t they know I am the Prince of Greenglaze

Both the quotation mark error AND the 'priorize' word. PrioriTize...

Chapter 2 - check!

Heh, I was wondering... the thingy they suspect to be an elf... 6 inches to a foot seems... large. And if I rememebr correctly, they mentioned it was human-shaped. *Imagines that...* Seriously... at most, it could be as large as a normal person's head.
AQ DF  Post #: 11
5/14/2009 5:40:30   
Crimzon5

quote:

What on Mediava?” Faegard thought,

Another one in chapter 3?! Ohh... just press Ctrl + F... you'll find more

quote:

largely magically illiterate Guardian Knights, as well as an economy

Are the guardian knights illiterate (please no)? Or illiterate to magic (a hyphen might help)

quote:

Had Faegard’s strong resolution not pre-determined

no need for the hyphen (unless your work is your homework and adding the hyphen will allow you to have exctly 10 000 characters without spaces xD)

quote:

The problem was, it didn’t work this time.
No need for that

Will be back
AQ DF  Post #: 12
5/15/2009 4:05:56   
Argeus the Paladin

@ Crimz: The "intelligent quote" function is playing on me, I suppose. On the way to mend.

The GKs are magically-illiterate. At first I was thinking about "illiterate", but then Sir Durant of Fantasinia, who can read three huge volumes on military tactics and still asking for more (Yggdra Union reference) sprung to mind.

Okay, off to edit.

Oh, and:

spoiler:

MFFs cannot fly and cannot operate in space. MVFs can. There wilbe no Mecher, but there will be something called Dracoframes (Jesus Yamato, behold, the might of an ancient Red Dragon combined with science at your service!).
DF  Post #: 13
5/18/2009 12:22:13   
Fleur Du Mal

Hello,

I have some comments, opinions, and such to present thee about chapter 2; hopefully, at least a few of them are useful... I'll just go in the order I came across these thoughts.
(btw, I saw you still seem to have those yellow questionmarks included in the story-linkage. Do they have some particular use?)

1)
quote:

Kurogane's voice echoed concernedly from the other end of the corridor, his tone struck an obviously still astonished Einherjar Ritter as yet another addition to said surprise. That tone was far too concerned and curious even for the considerate and scrupulous soldier Kuro was, telling the Global Union captain that the classified information would not remain classified for much longer, at least to Kurogane. The commissioned officer sighed, as if trying to release the chunk of disbelief stuck in his throat for the last half an hour, while returning the concern back to his friend.

Imo, there's a little bit too much of repeating the word 'concerned.' I'd suggest removing the first one with '-ly' since your description of the tone is illustrating enough later in the sentence.
This might be nitpicking, lol, but near the end of the paragraph, I don't think you need the word 'back' as 'return' implicitly takes that into account.

2)
quote:

“I still can't believe the Liberators have found themselves some Mechvalries myself,” Kurogane said, looking highly tense.

This solely my personal preference, but I'd wish to read how Kurogane's tense-state showed itself. Were his muscles so in spasms that one could count the tendons of each, for example? (Yeah, that's overdoing it, but just to illustrate my point.) The thing is, if you say that he looked highly tense, it doesn't describe that much, imo. It doesn't /show/ his state. You could as well go with:
"Kurogane said, highly tensed."

3)
quote:

Einherjar twitched a little, trying to bring himself to terms with the nonsense that his friend had just touched back.

'Touched back nonsense?' I'm afraid I don't quite get this sentence. Could it benefit from some rewording?

4)
quote:

His boss was clueless himself at best, to be fair - from the Colonel's puzzled voice back then, it was implied that there was no way he could explain the matter without quoting senseless technobabbles as spoken by the resident scientists.

Any particular reason you need the passive voice here? I think it just adds unneccessary words in the sentence, complicating it. May I suggest a little simplifying:
'- the Colonel's puzzled words had implied that there was no way he could explain....'

5)
quote:

Einherjar asked back, pulling himself together to return to his carefree attitude flawlessly.

Imho, this sentence would flow better if you'd move the adverb nearer to the verb it's tied to:
'Einherjar asked back, flawlessly pulling himself together to return to his carefree attitude.'
Furthermore, since the questions he's going to ask comes only /after/ this sentence, I'd suggest further reorganisation:
'Flawlessly pulling himself together to return to his carefree attitude, Einherjar asked, “With that aside, what do you think about these mysteries?” '
Your call, of course!

6)
quote:

The giant's DNA structure was nothing we have ever seen before, or so I was told.

Beware of the nitpicker =P: 'structure' or 'sequence'?
Were the coded genes different, the bases in the nucleotides different or were the proteins associated with the DNA different?
Ah, well, just hit me, it's speech, so...I guess it doesn't matter.

7)
quote:

“I'm not really into those boring high fantasy, but those overgrown ears are a quintessential tell-tale sign of the elves in most of these works.

Me suspects from the plural nature of the word 'those' that there's a word missing: 'into those boring high fantasy novels/books.'
or
'into that boring high fantasy'

8)
quote:

Needless to say that gesture halted the conversation for a good couple of dozens of seconds.

This truly nitpicking, but the gesture doesn't really halt the conversation, but the same emotion and revelation that causes the facepalm also freezes the conversation. So, if and only if you want to, you could refine that a little. My suggestion would be:
'Needless to say, that gesture visualized the silencing of the conversation for a good couple of dozens of seconds.'
Might need some reworking as well, lol.

Scene 2...
9)
quote:

when the rampaging fist of a Mountain Giant of the Dark Lord’s armies crushed the wounded elven knight,

I believe that should be 'the' is the Giant has been mentioned before.

10)
quote:

All over Silverlush, the massage was rolling in at full swing, as houses were set ablaze,

Just a typo: 'massacre'

11)
quote:

Faegard was speaking his mind is this issue.

Another typo? 'in'

12)
quote:

The cracking flame of the burning city, the screams of people being slaughtered, the savage roars of the infamous dragons, the barbaric laughter of the goblin rabbles, not to mention the half-sadistic, half-idiotic growls the Mountain Giant gave out every so often when he was in its sight … every of those sounds combining with one another, forming the pandemonic orchestra of carnage and destruction that would please no one except Death himself.

First of all, I love how you have used the soundscape for presenting Faegard's traumatic memories instead of just the common visualizations. Suits the character, since he does have quite a hearing capability.

Secondly, not 100% sure, but should there be 'one' in 'every one of those sounds?'

Thirdly, a stylistic suggestion based on sound only: 'choir of carnage' Imho, it rolls out slightly better than 'orchestra of carnage.' Not that there's anything wrong with that original wording, either.

13)
quote:

His paralyzed limbs were betraying him – what should have been a violent struggle to break free of whatever holding him back turned out to be a little better than lifting and turning his hands and feet.

Not sure of the tense there. Should it be 'whatever was holding him back' or 'whatever held him back?'
Probably the former.

14)
quote:

The struggle itself didn’t last long, however. Faegard’s pains set back as quickly as it could, nullifying any ounce of the downed prince’s attempt.

Since 'pains' is in plural, shouldn't 'it' be 'they?'

15)
quote:

As much as Faegard felt relieved that eh had made it after all, the bruises, cuts, and mind-scrambling headache were still there.

Just a typo: 'he'

16)
quote:

Yet, this time, curiosity got the better of Faegard after all, as the prince chose to listen on.

These three expressions
'yet'
'this time'
&
'after all'
are all pointing pretty much at the same thing, imo. So, I'd suggest cutting some of them away, since you don't need them all. 'after all' would be the most obvious choice, imo, in fact, mere 'Yet' in the beginning could take care of the whole thing alone.

17)
quote:

His tone had been slightly watered down this time, showing that he had somewhat calmed down, at which point Faegard sighed of relief again. Just about time Faegard needed some explanation, the way the loud voice was addressing the matter was not cutting him any slack, namely, half of the vocabulary he used, Faegard didn’t know.

Not sure if you really need to repeat 'Faegard' all this time, but that's again me preferring minimal number of stating the names. =P
Maybe you could replace the second one with 'he' or 'the elf' ?

18)
quote:

The final shocks in the fight against the Mountain Giant must have left his physical body in a less than adequate state,

This is just me, but whenever I read 'physical body' I start to think about mechanical energy, inertia, and other physics-related matters. May I suggest another word, like 'physical frame' or deleting the word 'physical' altogether, and go with the word 'body' only?

Your call, of course, not all your readers are geeks like me. =P
DF  Post #: 14
6/3/2009 5:40:28   
Argeus the Paladin

The first part of C.4 up! There has been a lot of Executive Author Meddling going on with this chapter, resulting in a huge amount of cancelled, rehashed, recancelled and re-rehashed plans. I finally settled down with this model. Hope you like it!

< Message edited by Argeus the Paladin -- 6/3/2009 5:41:46 >
DF  Post #: 15
6/4/2009 3:54:43   
Helixi

It's really good, but......I don't get the characters in the crossover. I suppose I haven't read what they're from. Care to explain to me? I really want to see more of this.

< Message edited by Helixi -- 1/8/2012 11:24:59 >
AQ DF  Post #: 16
6/24/2009 1:22:33   
Argeus the Paladin

Ahoy there! I'm back with the rest of chapter 4!

*sees nobody around*

Oh well, it appears that the activity level of L&L has badly plummetted these days.

Anyway, necessary vocabulary for the chapter:

- Tenjouhou = Cannon of the Upper Heaven (Ten - Heaven, Jou - Upper/Higher, Hou - Cannon, On-reading). This is Einherjar Ritter's title as he got it following the First War, because of the use of a Big Fragging Wave Motion Arm Beam Cannon to wreck havoc. The thing does ALL damage, has an S rank on all terrain, +50 Critical and does Supreme (Hissatsu) damage. [/Super Robot Wars fanboyism]

"I AM/THIS IS THE CANNON THAT BLASTS AWAY THE FORTRESSES OF HEAVEN!" <- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann reference.

Oh, and the Edward Cullen expy has got his first appearance.

@ Helix: This is my point of the crossover: Mecha + Vampires + Dragons. In terms of what exactly I like to make reference to, think of it this way: This is a case in which Twilight takes place in a Gundam setting, in which a Super Robot Wars Original Generations conflict sparks, further heated up by the participation of a Standard Fantasy magical society, which, in itself, hides a Code Geass conflict.

Everything even slightly pertaining to Badassery is Amped to Eleven according to the Rules of Cool, and I've made it a point to give every character at least two Crowning Moments of Awesome. Including those who are scheduled to die. Including the evil characters. Including the dragons.

< Message edited by Argeus the Paladin -- 6/24/2009 2:20:09 >
DF  Post #: 17
6/29/2009 4:22:28   
Argeus the Paladin

First part, Chapter 5. In which the elf gets his Ace Custom Super Prototype Lion King Type-2.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE for this chapter:

Tsuki's full name is Tsuki Nagoyaka, which means "the harmonious moon" in its entirety.

Let's just say the plans for this girl's personality and backstory has changed drastically throughout my planning stage, and by now I settle down with a Kusuha (Super Robot Wars) + Kotonoha (School Days) + Fio (Metal Slug) + Fllay (Gundam SEED) quad-formation, in order of importance. Why is Kotonoha even in this formation? Well, I'd reserve my answer till chapter 15 or so...

Bilingual bonus: In the later episodes, you will see Kurogane address her as "princess" in a semi-serious manner because she is, figuratively, an Ojou. But then, her name ITSELF does present a very interesting Shout Out when paired with the title "princess". Go ahead, try it out. I mean you, Marv.

< Message edited by Argeus the Paladin -- 6/29/2009 4:24:45 >
DF  Post #: 18
7/8/2009 0:25:35   
Argeus the Paladin

Megaupdate: Chapter 5, 6, 7 and 8!

If you see some remote resemblance to Negima at the 8th and 9th chapter, please don't panic - I take it as an obvious result after having read so many chapters of the manga in quick succession.
DF  Post #: 19
7/8/2009 20:26:48   
Fleur Du Mal

Hello!

I read chapters 3-8 today, so I'm now completely up to date with this story. I hope there's more to come about that Jessica character. I got interested...

Some comments before I doze off for the night.

Hmm, the fighting and havoc in chapter 4 was well written, imo. I was hanging on the edge of my seat when you were switching between the scenes and characters.

I loved the paragraph about the single moon in chapter 7, scene 3. But I guess you guessed that. =P I'm just a fool for beautiful descriptions. I'm wishing for more spots like that in this story, yet I know it is not for me to request...

Umm, about pacing. In chapter 4 I think it was well executed. In chapter 6, imho, you might have explained the accidental nature of Faegard's success in driving the robot, a bit too much. In fact, I sensed a contraction between described events that happened quickly and unpredictably, as compared to the way they were narrated, that wasn't as quick-paced as the events. I hope I make at least some sense here, trying to describe what I was thinking while reading. I guess what I'm trying to say that maybe that part of the chapter would benefit from quicker, less explanative narration, to fit the unpredictable events.

I think that your quick speed of writing may have caused a bunch of errors escaping proofreading. Chapter 4 had the least of them, I think, but the others had some clusters of inconsistent forms of verbs: -ed <-> -ing, some words getting repeated needlessly in consecutive sentences (although that's only my opinion), and the odd typos or two. I concentrated on reading more than typohunting, so I don't have a list for you just now, sorry, but I think that you'll easily spot them with some light proofreading. This one typo I do remember that you might want to correct soonish: in the title of chapter 7 you mention 12th squad, but in the beginning of chapter 8 you have 17th squad.

In chapter 8, there's the scene where Kuro aims the gun at Faegard. Then all of the sudden, the woman enters. You description of her eyes is very vivid, but I wonder if it's placed the optimal way as of now. You see, it's quite long regarding the situation at that moment, and the POV is Faegard's, so imo, it's kinda odd that his thoughts would linger like that in her eyes at that specific moment. So, my suggestion would be to move that description to the point where she has stepped in front of the 'cute boy' and Faegard starts blushing. Just for consideration.

I like how you have described the entry of the two in that same scene by Faegard's sense of hearing. To keep the POV strictly with Faegard, in his room where he cannot see the duo until Kuro opens the door, I'd suggest editing this sentence:
quote:

“What kind of man would bother a woman with such things as carrying the luggage?” grinned the man, as if it was a matter of course.

Because this would require Faegard seeing Kuro or a sudden shift in the POV, which would be confusing to the reader, imo. And unnecessary, since you've been doing such a good job by employing the sense of hearing instead of seeing. =)

I saw you use a lot the sayings 'suffice to say' and 'needless to say.' These occur both in the direct narration as well as in the dialogue. Which, imho, indistinguishes the persons and the narration a little. Wouldn't it add to the characterisations, if you'd cut these out from the dialogue, so that the voices of the characters would be more distinct from the narration, or, restrict the usage of this expression to only one of the characters? Imo, using as distinct and personalising expressions as these, which I do recognise to be your style, should be more restricted so that each one of the characters would have a voice of their own, that is distinct from the narrative voice.

Humour-wise, I think you might be slightly over-using the jaw-dropping effect on Faegard. This is of course only according to my preference, but it's currently repeated a little too much to keep its effect. Oh, now that I remember, I must not forget this: you did have a lot of absurd and crazy humour through-out these chapters that did work for me and that I loved. Like Faegard's views on the human technology compared to the dwarves' and that little dispute between the 'golems' about whether 'the charging into' was better described with 'stone wall' or lava pit'. =P

DF  Post #: 20
7/10/2009 3:40:51   
Argeus the Paladin

When Fabula's back in action, looks like my fear for L&L's *gulp* death will be postponed a little longer. So yay!

Regarding your comments:

- The 12/17th inconsistencies: That is due to the fact that I didn't have access to what I have written at school when I write at home, and had to make up another number. Will be corrected as soon as possible.
- "Needless to say". Yes, I do realize that. This will need some very heavy cutting back when I am at it.
- The single moon - Yeeesh... looks like Tsukihime has finally taken its far-reaching effect. To explain why I had that description, let me bring you back to the fact that Seisen Engi was to Tsukihime as Eragon is to Star Wars, as of present. One of the thin disguises I threw over the expy is the more explicit role of the moon, and let's just say I got addicted to it later on. And there you go.
- Jessica? Think Poe from Turn A Gundam, although I won't go around and say that. She and the Kingsley team will show up in the fights to come, the latter for comedic effect (The Lava Pit or Stone Wall part is so going to be a running gag).
- Description of Faegard's second Falling Into the Cockpit: Will sort this out - I always try to maintain a balance between description and dialogue, making it a wee bit harder to cut down on one without slashing the other.

spoiler:

Jessica will be somewhat of a Yandere for Elward (Thinking about changing this guy's name - the Twilight reference is too obvious) and ended up getting blown up by a good, well-placed F-Solid Beam Cannon volley, following the examples of such people as Lalah Sune or Four Murasame.

The Kingsley squad will survive though.

So far I haven't inserted the vampires into the picture. Will do soon, though.

All in all, thank you so much for your time and comments!
DF  Post #: 21
7/13/2009 21:53:13   
ringulreith

Give. Me. More explody fun! NOW!

That aside, great work. I do find your take on Faegard's view on the machinery quite humerous... "Dragon Golem"... And I have to agree with Fabula, that stone wall/lava pit thing was quite funny. Now, to reiterate myself:

Give. Me. More explody fun! NOW!
Post #: 22
7/21/2009 2:24:09   
Argeus the Paladin

^^ You ask for it, you get it. Chapter 10 and 11 are up today. I was going to post a 12th chapter as well, but there is that short story writing competition I have to tend to, so...

Read and enjoy!
DF  Post #: 23
7/22/2009 23:41:22   
Argeus the Paladin

Chapter 12 out. More explody fun coming in the next one, though.
DF  Post #: 24
7/23/2009 16:20:49   
ringulreith

I love these three new chapters, Argeus!

I just have one problem with chapter 12, though. You describe too much. Not to the level of info dump, but the complex descriptions, metaphors and similes sort of take away that fast-pased, action mood. You can also tune the Hiryuu descriptions down a notch, since we already know what it looks like from the first description.

I loved chapter 11, however. It's nice and fast-paced, and has that suspense feeling to it.

Can't wait for chapter 13(!!!)!
Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> Works Discussion >> Other Creative Works Discussion >> The Systems Chronicles Book 1 - C&C
Page 1 of 3123>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition