Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=MECH= 55-fiction

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> =MECH= 55-fiction
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
6/20/2009 22:43:57   
Arzamol

55 fiction is a form of literature that requres the writer to make a story containing no more than fifty-five words.

In my opinion, its pretty good, if writen carefully. But what do you think of it? Have you seen any? Can you provide any examples?

Edited the discussion tag into the title. -Fleur Du Mal

Thanks, magical blue text.

< Message edited by Arzamol -- 3/6/2010 18:06:22 >
DF  Post #: 1
6/20/2009 23:40:03   
Sentharn

I've never seen any form of 55-fiction, although it sounds fascinating.

But...'wrighter'?
Post #: 2
6/20/2009 23:47:13   
Abiogenist

Must be a mispelling of 'writer'...

Anyway, Arzamol, perhaps you could provide examples? I think most of us haven't heard of this.
Post #: 3
6/20/2009 23:49:07   
marvin_the_robot

Teehee, I was LMAO'ing to that as well.

Sounds hard. Being a writer who absolutely ADORES writing with tons of adjectives, 55 words is quite an impossible feat for me. I'd like to read some; Do you have any examples?

DF  Post #: 4
6/21/2009 13:03:55   
Arzamol

Googled an example:
quote:

A Second Chance by Jay Bonestell

His love had gone. In despair, he flung himself off the Golden Gate Bridge.
Coincidentally, a few yards away, a girl made her own suicide plunge.
The two passed in midair.
Their eyes met.
Their chemistry clicked.
It was true love.
They realized it.
Three feet above the water.

Here is the book I originaly found them in.

More examples and the rules to writing.

< Message edited by Arzamol -- 6/21/2009 13:32:06 >
DF  Post #: 5
6/21/2009 19:21:30   
Firefly
Lore-ian

I'm not a huge fan of Hemingway, but I loved this:

quote:

For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

Hmm, I do write flash fiction, but never under 55 words. My shortest story was 485 words, I think. I think it's an interesting concept and I love experimental stuff, but I value story over form so I won't write something short for the sake of writing something short.
AQ  Post #: 6
6/27/2009 1:10:24   
r0de0b0y

55? Weird number. Some of my posts are longer than that. May be a good change of pace to people who create too much clutter with details and extra stuff and purple prose. I guess it doesn't take 10,000 words to get a point across. Seems a really...promising excercise, perhaps we should have a collab thread to see what the L&L can come up with?
AQ DF  Post #: 7
6/27/2009 22:14:55   
Firefly
Lore-ian

I don't think the strength of flash fiction is plot or practising "less description." The strength is theme, idea, maybe technique. The best way to learn to not purple prose is to write a short story, then try to edit 20% of the fat off. But anyhow, novels can and should be (usually) more descriptive than short stories. Ultimately, it's to give the audience most of what they care about and little that they don't care about. So if the setting or character is exotic, do describe them--the audience will care. If the setting/character is bland, then a general idea is more than good enough.
AQ  Post #: 8
7/12/2009 15:48:31   
Fornever

Hm, I've heard of 69ers (exactly 69 words) but not 55. I'll have to try it sometime. In fact, my entire project is flash fiction. Just flash after flash after flash. I'm hoping to have nothing over 300 words. My shortest is currently 36 words. Longest is exactly 300. The first time I tried it, I ended up with 923. I can definitely relate to the frustration of flash fiction, but I picked it up because it sounded interesting. Now, I don't think I'll ever be able to make things long and descriptive again.

Hemingway's infamous six word story. That is probably the most interesting one I've ever read. From the link, I'd say The Bus Station is my favorite. I've been challenged more than once to do flash fiction, and failed each time 'cause I had no idea what it was about. It's difficult to find well-written flash fiction.

AQ DF MQ  Post #: 9
7/12/2009 23:52:14   
Prator the Legendary

I've never heard of 55-fiction before. I don''t think I'd much enjoy it; brevity is not my strong point. I always worry that I'm not explaining myself thoroughly enough, and so I keep extending anything I write until it's far longer than necessary. Plus, I generally don't care for short fiction; it almost always leaves me feeling unsatisfied, like eating an appetizer in lieu of a full meal.
AQ  Post #: 10
2/22/2010 21:33:00   
Arzamol

This thing is still around? Woah, theads in this part of the forums are like... survivalists, or something.

Anyway, withi 55-fiction, you kinda have to imply a lot instead of writting it straight out... as that would use up words.

It's amazing how an entire story can be written with so few words and still be good.
DF  Post #: 11
2/22/2010 22:39:50   
alexmacf

I am a huge fan of character development. I have a hard enough time writing stories less than a thousand words, forget 55. Nobody changes!
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 12
2/23/2010 17:16:56   
Arzamol

^True, but the stories are still good. Did you read some of the ones provided?
DF  Post #: 13
2/23/2010 20:35:02   
alexmacf

Yeah, they were excellent. I'm just thoroughly incapable of writing anything that short.
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 14
2/23/2010 20:55:09   
Shreder

Ooh! /Me is excited.

This looks like prose I might actually be able to write. I'll have to try this sometime...
DF MQ  Post #: 15
2/24/2010 19:22:50   
Reaper Sigma

I'd never be able to do this. I can't do a story without establishing the characters, world, etc, first.
Post #: 16
2/24/2010 20:05:35   
Arzamol

I think it should be doable... Lemi try:

"Leo walked the window and looked into the streets. There were children playing basketball in the and cars honking loudly for them to clear out. He had always wanted to be an Artist, but the harsh reality hit him every time he put on his suit and badge. The badge read: Leonardo DaVinci: Street Patroll."

55. Dont I love messing with alternate dimentions?

Well I tried it and I still cant tell if it's easy or not... I wonder if I did that right...

< Message edited by Arzamol -- 2/24/2010 20:06:47 >
DF  Post #: 17
2/24/2010 20:24:17   
Shreder

It looks like it would be easy to write, but hard to write well...
DF MQ  Post #: 18
2/24/2010 20:29:39   
Arzamol

^Exactly.

It's tricky.

I guess with a thing like this, practice makes perfect, and that was my first attempt. I better get practicing...

< Message edited by Arzamol -- 2/24/2010 20:54:37 >
DF  Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> =MECH= 55-fiction
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition