Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: "Real Men kill all their characters before the epilogue!"

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: "Real Men kill all their characters before the epilogue!"
Page 2 of 2<12
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/31/2009 13:17:33   
lordkaho
Creative!

Ugh.. Ga-Rei Zero and Chrno Crusade (in a toned down way) comes into mind. But as for the latter, the write killed everyone off in the second episode! So much for misleading the audience that they were the actual protagonists.
DF MQ  Post #: 26
7/31/2009 23:59:02   
RATIONALPARANOIA

Well... as for the entire issue of whether or not to kill of your characters, for me, it all depends on the story. When I write, I just write the story as it comes to me. The characters and plot both sort of take on a life of their own, and I let the character's emotions and motivations dictate what happens. I won't kill someone just to kill somebody off and make my story more "realistic", but if my story necessitates that particular character dying, then I have no option- I need to kill him off. An example from my own work:

spoiler:

Charlotte in The Wolf's Rebellion. The scene I had in my mind- Prince is with her, Sir Evan goes to collect him to bring him to the King. Writing it, I had no idea I would kill her off. Then, I thought about Sir Evan's personality and his responsibilities to the King- he'd have to kill her. If I did anything else, I would not be doing his character justice, and that would against my belief that when you're writing, you always have to be honest. No matter where the story takes you, as long as you're staying true to your characters, that's where you need to go.

I don't believe it determines whether a story is good or not, though. It all depends on the story- some stories, in order to be the best that they can, need a lot of characters to die. Other stories, on the other hand, need a lot of characters to live.

Oh, and Firefly- Johan Liebert rocks.
AQ  Post #: 27
8/3/2009 12:54:22   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Oh, he does, but I prefer Light Yagami.

*imagines the creators of Monster and Death Note banging their heads on the wall, because these two characters were supposed to be a complete monster and a psychopath with god-complex* Too bad they made them too brilliant to be anything short of awesome. At least I like Light 'cause he was a genius and you like Johan 'cause he was cool... Liking them as characters sure beats the... other reason... *runs for the hills as the hordes of screaming fangirls crowd in*

Quality does matter more than quantity, and the story is king. However, I think that killing everyone or killing no one is extremely hard to pull off. One reason I think Wheel of Time is an endless ping-pong game is because he wasn't killing off any characters. Do I sound cruel? You bet. But I'm just being honest.
AQ  Post #: 28
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: "Real Men kill all their characters before the epilogue!"
Page 2 of 2<12
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition