Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 44 - Mage, Fighter, Thief Part VI (Eldron)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 44 - Mage, Fighter, Thief Part VI (Eldron)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/7/2009 13:53:43   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Mage, Fighter, Thief Part VI
by Eldron

10 Conscience

We left the settlement and walked a little ways into a denser part of the surrounding forest, talking very little during our walk. There we made camp for the night. After we established our shelter and had a light meal, we sat, deep in thought, before the fire.

"Master," I began.

"It was not my fault!" said Ramalad. "I tried to warn him. A wish is a very unpredictable thing. I cannot control it!"

"I realize that", I said. "I just wish there could have been another way."

"There were many ways," said Ramalad. "There are always many ways. Unfortunately, the human was too short-sighted to see them."

"Is it ethical though?" I wondered aloud.

"Ethical?" questioned Ramalad. "You forget who you're talking to."

"What I mean," I began, "is at what point do we take responsibility? Should we have allowed him the option he chose?"

"We are not here to be the guardian angels of these people," said Ramalad. "We were not appointed the conscience of the world."

We sat quietly for a while contemplating the fire. "Surely," I began hesitantly, "there must be someone who could straighten this out."

"Aslyn," said Ramalad, "if he is so disposed. He is the god of magic!"

"How would one, if one were so inclined, speak to a god?" I asked.

"One does not speak to a god unless the god wants to speak to them," replied Ramalad.

"But it is possible," I said.

"Yes," said Ramalad, "it is possible."

"Could you? Hypothetically speaking of course?" I asked.

"Could I what?" asked Ramalad fearing the answer.

"Talk to Aslyn," I said.

"Why in the name of the gods would I want to do that?" demanded Ramalad.

"To perhaps correct the error that was made," I replied.

"I made no error!" shouted Ramalad. "I provided a service. He bought, I delivered! It's not my fault he now realizes he bought the wrong item. I did warn him, repeatedly!"

"I realize that," I said quickly. "You gave him every chance. Still, it seems wrong for him to suffer so for his mistakes."

"You," said Ramalad, "suffer the Grey Elves' curse."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You feel yourself nursemaid to the world," replied Ramalad.

"Perhaps," I replied.

"And I," continued Ramalad, "need neither a nursemaid or a conscience!"

"I do not presume to be so," I replied.

"You," said Ramalad, "presume that and much more!"

Ramalad threw a log on the fire and a shower of sparks flew up into swirls of grey smoke. The time was tense and quiet.

"Just assume," said Ramalad after awhile, "I would agree to this, though I don't see why I should cash in a favor under these circumstances. But, if I were to consider it. What exactly do you have in mind?"

"Well," I said thoughtfully, "it does not seem right that the girl should die for the father's prejudices."

"Wonderful!" said Ramalad. "A resurrection! Aslyn will love that! Is that all? No, of course not, it wouldn't be! Let me guess, you want everyone to live happily ever after, including the young lovers!"

"That would be wonderful," I answered.

"Wonderful for everyone but me," said Ramalad. "Everyone lives happily ever after but poor Ramalad. He has to beg a favor of a god. I've served Aslyn before and let me tell you, his favors are not cheap!"

"I'm sure you can work it out," I said smiling. "I have complete faith in you."

"Humph," grumbled Ramalad, shaking his head in disbelief of the fact he was actually considering it.

Ramalad sat lost in thought. I, myself, was racing along in my mind. After about twenty minutes I hesitantly spoke again. "Master," I said, "about the gold...."

11 Favors

I awoke, once again, in the morning to find myself alone. Ramalad once more had left me to my own devices. This time, however, I chose to stay inside and out of trouble.

The following events I am about to relate to you, I am inserting at this point years after the fact. I hope I relate them accurately, as I was not present at the time. This is, however, as Ramalad related them to me many years later. They are relevant to our current story so I insert them here.

Ramalad awoke, determined to do what he decided to do before he could change his mind. He arose, looked at Eldron, and shook his head. He then gated out. Ramalad appeared in what looked like a combination library and laboratory. The room was cluttered with various pieces of strange equipment and hundreds of tomes. The only one present in the room was a wild-eyed old man who appeared to be arm wrestling with his hat. Ramalad coughed. The old man looked up startled, giving his hat the advantage, which it took.

"Damn!" cried the old mage rubbing his bruised knuckles that were just smashed into the table. "Ramalad!" he said. "What are you doing here?"

"I am looking for the Arch Mage," replied Ramalad.

"An arch maze?" said the wizard. "Why do you want one of those? I got caught in one once, was in it for three months. They're tricky you know."

"No!" said Ramalad. "Not maze, MAGE! I'm looking for Aslyn."

"Is he trapped in a maze, too?" asked the wizard.

"No!" said Ramalad. "I'm looking for him."

"You're cooking you say?" said the wizard. "No thanks, I've already eaten."

"NO!" yelled Ramalad getting flustered. "I'm looking for him!"

"You're looking for who?" asked the wizard.

"I'm looking for Aslyn," replied Ramalad.

"Aslyn? Ramalad said he's trapped in a maze somewhere," said the wizard.

"I am Ramalad," said Ramalad slowly. "I'm trying to find Aslyn!"

"Well, why didn't you say so?" questioned the wizard. "He's outside."

"Thank you," said Ramalad as he turned to go. The old wizard didn't hear him however, as he was already engaged in a re-match with his hat. Ramalad walked out into a vast expanse of beautiful gardens. There he found Aslyn sitting under a tree.

"Ramalad," said Aslyn looking up. "I've been waiting for you."

"Have you?" asked Ramalad, surprised.

"Yes, yes, my friend," said Aslyn. "Come walk with me."

The two walked down one of the many paths. "This," said Aslyn," is one of my favorite places in all the planes."

"It is nice," replied Ramalad.

"Nice!" said Aslyn. "This is heaven." He chuckled to himself.

"Aslyn," said Ramalad, "I need to speak with you."

"Yes I know," replied Aslyn.

"You know?" asked Ramalad.

"Yes," said Aslyn. "What you seek has already been accomplished."

"I do not understand," said Ramalad.

"I, quite simply," said Aslyn, "have been keeping an eye on you."

"You have!" said Ramalad, a little on the defensive. "Why?"

"Well, not you exactly," replied Aslyn. "Your young apprentice."

"Eldron?" questioned Ramalad. "Why would the gods be interested in him?"

"As you said yourself," answered Aslyn, "he shows much potential!"

"I have had second thoughts on that assessment," said Ramalad.

"Have you?" asked Aslyn. "Why is that?"

"Because," answered Ramalad, "this one thinks too much with his heart and not his head."

"He is much like his father," said Aslyn.

"Mythron!" said Ramalad. "I would think not!"

Aslyn paused and looked at Ramalad. "I think," he said, "we need to chat. There is something you should know about your young apprentice."

After a while the two returned to the main building.

"You understand the nature of the situation?" asked Aslyn.

"I understand," said Ramalad. "I will do my best!"

"I can count on your discretion then?" asked Aslyn.

"Don't you always?" replied Ramalad.

"Indeed," nodded Aslyn and Ramalad turned to leave. "Oh, and Ramalad," called Aslyn.

Ramalad turned to face him.

"I don't keep score," said Aslyn.

Ramalad bowed and gated out.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
7/14/2009 20:29:56   
Dragonnightwolf
How We Roll Winner
Apr/Jun/Aug15

Eldron, That was unusual interesting, but unusual. I'd like to actually see more of you starring in this.
AQW Epic  Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 44 - Mage, Fighter, Thief Part VI (Eldron)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition