Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

=Elemental Championships 2009= Spike Arena

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =Elemental Championships 2009= Spike Arena
Page 1 of 212>
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
7/14/2009 12:52:47   
Ronin Of Dreams
Still Watching...

It has been a long year since the last Elemental Championship, but the Championship Arena Complex did not show signs of age, but rather on the contrary - it grew, and along with it, just a hill and a spring with a weary wooden bridge over it away, grew the township...now more of a city...of Bren. The vicinity of the Arena has done it much good - apart from the great crowds -- and thusly business -- it brought it during the Championship itself, just the presence of such a building carried the township's name far over the lands. There came adventurers of many sorts, and the burgeoning four inns of Bren were never short of business, there came priests of the Elemental Lords, building shrines and churches and granting it divine protection not from one, but from all the Lords, and there came many, many artisans to maintain the four offshoot Arenas around the First Arena now used exclusively for Finals, and craft the minor alterations that seemed necessary from year to year.

The would-be combatants, either just arriving, or having taken a night's rest either at an inn or at the small camp of tents at the base of the Arena hill, would get to see the artisans' handiwork soon enough, right after the priests and mages within them finish their last checks on the protective barriers and image transportation enchantments for the gathered crowds.

~~~

The Spike Arena was rightfully so called, and one of the magicians now leaving it chuckled softly on how the protective spells were best cast upon to combatants rather than the crowd, at least to assure the former would live long enough to provide a spectacle for the latter.

The huge metal gate - a trademark of the Arena Complex, no doubt - now open, the contenders could now peer through and see what sort of obstacles lied in wait for them within.

Of the four Arenas, the Spike one was the most gruesome to behold, with an interior, both floor and slightly tilted spike-covered walls made completely out of a cold blue metal, one which, as they've been instructed before, was non-breakable by either magic or force. There were miniature channels at where the floor connected to the spikey walls, with even smaller holes along them, leading to who knows where - a moment's thought would reveal that this was indeed a sewage system for nothing else but blood!

The plentiful spikes which lent the Arena its name were all made of the same metal, and each at five feet in length, attached firmly to the walls they stood perpendicular to - thusly being at an upwards angle to the ground itself. The only four spikes not at the walls lay still at the bottom of a very large - yet again, metal - pillar, to its top they were attached by a lengthy chain. There was an inscription on the pillar, which would reveal to anyone who bothered to circle it and read it all, that there was a featherweight enchantment on all the four spikes, which would make them weigh but a tenth of what they would normally, making them a very much usable, if a tad unwieldy, weapon. But there was more! If the spike's surface was to come in contact with bone of any sort, its reduced weight effect would either be reversed, making the spike ten times as heavy instead of ten times as light, or would be turned into a levitation enchantment, which would then make ten times the spike's weight fly straight up into the sky at an instant. There was no way to know exactly what would happen, and there was even less to know for those who never did bother to read the warning - but for both of these, the massacre that was the Elemental Championship was about to begin.

The sun hovered above the metal pillar, making it look as some sort of an odd... altar? pedestal?

Mausoleum?

Worse yet...an abattoir?

...all would hope that it would not be theirs, but people -- people were known to make mistakes.
AQ  Post #: 1
7/15/2009 12:07:57   
2009light

Inside one of the famous Inns of Bren was a room inhabited by Chad Sleas of the Eletic Clan. Morning was only beginning, but since this day of all days was when the Grand Tournament of the Elemental Championship was to commence, it was anything but quiet. The streets were filled with man, elves, dwarfs, and even creatures that haven't ever been seen before, all here to either watch or partake in this once-a-year event. For Chad, it was an honor to even be one of the contestants, let alone someone who can finally show his dedication to his Lord amongst other elemental worshipers. This wasn't just some petty competition for his honor, his clan's honor, and more importantly, his Lord's honor, was on the line. And Chad Sleas was determined to make himself proud, his clan proud, and once again, his Lord extremely proud.

Chad had woken up that bright morning not to the sun, but to the noise of the early-birds who have come to watch the spilling of blood. One callous hand ruffled up his bright, spiky blond hair as he got out of bed. He slept just fine -as he was one of the lucky ones to get a room at an inn- but because of his stature, his feet had hung slightly over the bottom side of the bed. Sometimes, it just wasn't easy being six feet tall. At least he was of a medium build, neither a fragile stick figure, nor a towering monster. Chad began to go through his morning routines, which consisted of dressing, praying, and eating. His attire for the day consisted of trousers made of a black cloth, a bright blue sleeveless shirt, black boots, a silver-colored belt, and his weapons. Just the night before he had recoiled the chains inside of the two leather pouches so that they would not become knotted when he tried to retrieve them in today's match. Those two pouches found their respectable places on either side of his hips upon his belt. Next and last of his dressing was the four shiny metal balls of which were placed in a special section in each of his boots.

Chad glanced around his room to make sure he wasn't forgetting anything that was vial to his upcoming battle. Many participants have met their end while fighting, and it was inevitable that some fighters today would fall. Chad didn't want to be included among the fallen because he forgot something in his room. He soon stared out his window and at the energy displayed by all those who were already up. Already, he could feel the excitement rush through his veins much like an electrical charge. He kneeled down on one knee, bowing his head.

"My Lord....All my life I have been grateful to you for bestowing life into my body, the world that surrounds me, and for the spark of spirituality that surrounds us all. It's this spark, this current that has enabled us to feel our emotions, think with our mind, and most importantly, guide us down our destined path. Today of all days, your honor as this Grand Lord rests on those who fight in your name. I will make you proud."

Chad couldn't stop the smile upon his lips as he felt warmed by the sun that shone down upon him. I will not fail you now after so long of relentless dedication. My clan....you too will feel my accomplishment as you watch me fight this fated day. After feeling pleased with himself after his prayer, he headed downstairs to get himself a large breakfast. Besides, anything can happen in this tournament and it may be his last meal. Hopefully this inn has a large stock of meat....because I'm going to eat a few pounds of it!

After his meal was consumed, he headed through the crowded streets to the Spike Arena. The excitement vibe there was extremely powerful as this was the one arena that was particularly gruesome in its battles and appearances. It was sure to draw in many blood-thirsty spectators. He walked through its big metal gate into the arena. In fact, he was the first of the fighters to arrive. It was quite a spectacle to behold! Spikes covered the walls and pointed upwards towards the sky and a pillar, directly in the center was bathed in light as though it was an altar to an god itself! Somehow it was particularly interesting to him, as though there was an invisible energy drawing him towards the metal pillar. He obeyed this instinct and approached the pillar. There was some inscriptions that covered all around the column, probably serving as a warning. To his mind's eye, which was particularly interested in the chained spikes that lay at its base, this was another tool for him to use. And blessed be this day! Of all the arenas to be chosen for him, he was in a pit of shiny blue metal, eager and completely hungry for blood and compatible for electricity.
AQ DF  Post #: 2
7/15/2009 12:38:49   
Biophysicist

Esir Prus had not slept well. Not at all.

In fact, he had slept rather awefully. Knowing one is probably going to die soon usually has that effect on people. It certainly did on Esir.

He decided it was time to have something to eat. He headed down to the inn's dining room. just in time to see one of his fellow competitors leaving.

Esir did not actually feel like eating. He was afraid that if he did, he would simply throw it up. Given that he felt extremely sick to his stomach (Knowing that one is probably going to die soon usually has that effect on people as well), this was a reasonable assumption. Still, going into the Arena hungry would not be a wise decision.

Esir quickly ordered some eggs. As he waited, he looked around at the inn he was in. Heh, inn he was in. Esir almost laughed out loud at that. Funny how everything seems funny when one knows one is probably going to die soon.

Anyway. Back to the looking at the inn he was in. He noticed for the first time how the paint was slightly peeling off the walls, how the floor was dirty, how there was a plate of eggs in front of him... The last probably because his food had just arrived.

The eggs tasted aweful. Everything tastes aweful when one knows one is probably going to die soon.

Esir was the second to arrive at Spike Arena. As he looked at the arena, he realized that signing up for this contest was a mistake. He was probably about to die soon.

This was no place for a summoner. There were no hiding spots or defensible positions to hide out in while the summons did the fighting. Even standing next to the wall offered no protection, for while it would stop anyone from attacking from behind, it also meant that a simple push could send him falling onto the rather sharp and painful-looking spikes. Falling onto the rather sharp and painful-looking spikes would probably mean he was about to die soon. No, that was not a good idea.

So, what to do?

Not panic.

Oops, to late.

Okay, so the first thing to do is to stop panicking. As for what the second thing to do was, Esir had no idea.

He considered standing on the column, but that would just attract attention. Too much attention on Esir would probably mean he would die soon. That would most definetly be a bad thing.

Okay then, what about standing next to the pillar? It looked wide enough that no one would be able to sneak-attack him from behind.

Esir quickly ran over to the pillar and turned so that his back was to it. Now what?

The answer suddenly hit him much like a sword would probably do later in the contest. The Dark Orb could be used as a wall, protecting one of Esir's sides. If he positioned enough Imps on the other side, he would only have to worry about his front.

Esir's mental energies crossed the small gap between himself and a point a few feet to his left. He whispered a quick prayer to the Darkness Lord and was rewarded. A small black sphere spawned at the desired point and rapidly extruded thick, almost solid, blue fog. Within a few seconds, it had formed into the Dark Orb. This was an unusal move for Esir: In all his practice fights, the Dark Orb usually came out after the Imps, and was used offensively, never as a wall. Still, anything else and Esir probably would die soon.

With the Orb up, Esir quickly summoned three Imps on his right. His defenses now complete, he allowed himself to relax a bit. Not a lot, just enough to make it easier to not panic.

Esir knew he was still probably about to die soon, but at least now he had a fighting chance.
MQ  Post #: 3
7/15/2009 14:38:33   
Sir Inge

Giovanni slowly opened his eyes. He could never sleep. Not because he was scared, but because he was physically incapable of it. The rigged cracked inn wall he had been leaning on all night was worn in and was discolored from the wear of his body. The again, The Watchman was an old inn. Giovanni pushed of the walls with the backs of his hands and proceeded up the old rickety, mahogany stairs. They ran around a fulcrum point in a screw formation. Giovanni was left blank minded as he walked and finally reached his room on the third floor. Giovanni checked his black cloak for the key and sighed as he had locked himself out of his own room. Giovanni tensed himself and he head butt the door. A whole large irregular gap appeared and Giovanni reached in and unlocked the door from the inside. The owner appeared at the stairs behind him. A hunched over, gray bearded man.

"Hey! You are going to have to pay for that! I hate you contestants here! Someone always ruins my inn!"

Giovanni stared at the old weak man in disgust. The man froze in utter fear of the dark robed man with the pure white eyes. Giovanni walked into his room with an angry face. He relaxed a little, understanding why the man was angry. So Giovanni retrieved from a small brown cupboard, a small bag of gold.

"Is 10000 good enough," he thought to himself. He exited his room nice more and threw the bag to the worn gentleman at the steps. The man opened the bag in awe as Giovanni waved him away.

Finally. the day had come for Giovanni to prove his worth as a Death Knight, a a Knight, and as a former brother. He kissed the medallion strung around his neck, in remembrance of his family, and of the town that shunned him from them. He opened up the large wooden closet to reveal a black leather, plate, and robe set. It was his specialized Death Knight armor. And beside it stood a four and one half foot longsword. Pitch black near the hilt, and pure white at the tip. He donned his gear, and sheathed his sword. Finally, Giovanni was ready to go. He walked out the front door of the worn out inn, toward the crowded streets. And, for the first time, people did not stare in fear or anger of him. He was just another contestant. As he trekked toward his appointed arena, a lone mage walked toward him, wearing a white, skin tight robe.

"I remember you Giovanni. We used to play as children. It's me Alexander. I came here...hoping to see you again. I know of all the horrible things you've done, but I'm still rooting for you in this years EC's." The mage removed his head to reveal a tanned skin with caramel eyes. Giovanni laughed slightly.

"It's great to know that I still have one fan out here." his cold voiced echoed, strange to be found in such a sunny area.

"My blessings Giovanni." Alexander bowed slightly and disappeared in smoke. Giovanni continued on to arena. He traveled through endless corridors to come upon the actual arena. Two other combatants were preparing themselves up ahead on the cold metal. Giovanni wandered around the arena reading all the hazard signs for the arena's obstacles. Alexander sat in the audience waiting along with the masses for the competition to start.

< Message edited by Calcon30 -- 7/15/2009 14:39:44 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 4
7/15/2009 14:48:45   
Voltar

Zypher woke with a start. He had heard something in his room. He didn't know what it was, exactly, he just knew it had been something.

He sighed. "What a lead, Zypher," he muttered under his breath. "What a lead." He turned, searching for Illûv.

It wasn't there.

"What the-?" He searched under the bed. Not there. Was it under his pillow? No, not there. In his backpack?

"Ah, well, whaddya know?"

There it was, in his backpack, along with the sheath and sword belt. And his combat regalia. He sighed in relief. If he'd lost Illûv, he'd have to rely solely on his elemental manipulation. Which wasn't much. He took off his nightrobe and slipped into a black tunic and black pants. Then he wrapped his arms and legs in stripes of black fiber, symbolizing his former training with the Acolytes. He slid on his hood, and fastened his sword belt to his back, attatching Illûv, sheathed in black leather. Lastly, for good measure in hiding his face, Zypher slid up his hood's mask until it covered his mouth and ended just below his nose.

Now he was ready for combat, and hurried out of the inn and over to the arena.

The Spike Arena was...spiky. To say the least.

The cold blue spikes were menacing, and-when Zypher subtlely tried to sever one with Illûv, he found them also- unbreakable. But there were more Spikes than the ones along the walls. In the center of the arena stood a pillar, to which were attached four more spikes. Zypher strode to the pillar and read something about 'ten times lighter' and 'ten times heavier' and 'levitation enchantment'.

He figured it must be something to do with local superstition.

< Message edited by Voltar -- 7/15/2009 15:23:03 >
DF MQ  Post #: 5
7/15/2009 18:06:05   
Mirai

Kalen breathed deeply, his dark cloak fluttering behind him as he prepared to enter the Spike arena. In memory of comrades lost, his gauntlet gloved left hand rose to his chest, touching a sliver of metal worn as an amulet, concealed beneath his green tunic.

Behind him he heard the roar of Bren’s crowds, already baying for blood, a pack of hyenas delighting in their gruesome sport. The young warrior’s heart had already started to pound in anticipation, his breathing becoming faster, harder, drawing oxygen deep into his lungs. Instinctively, the green eyed monk’s fingers had tightened about the shaft of his war hammer, digits whitening against the mithril. He’d heard plenty about this arena from the townspeople of Bren, about the savage fangs that ringed its walls, about its central pillar, and the lightweight, enchanted spikes that were chained to its summit.

He had prepared meticulously for this combat, meditated on different strategies for this deadly duel. He was ready to unleash terror and death to his foes. The last Drak of Narlich stood ready to enter battle once more.

What in the nine hells was I thinking, entering this death-trap? Burn me, this has to rank up there among the stupidest things I’ve ever done.

Memories of equally stupid actions briefly came to Kalen’s mind- the release of the creature of the Darkstone, foolishly unleashed in a desperate attempt to wreak vengeance on Narlich’s destroyers; the death of his friend Alyss, cloaked in illusion, unwittingly slain by Kalen himself. The dark haired Drak had certainly made his fair share of foolish decisions in the past.

Have I truly entered this tournament to find fame? Do I really believe word of my actions could reach survivors of Narlich’s fall? Or do I merely desire an end?

Kalen shrugged off the treacherous thoughts, focusing himself once more, steadying the breathing of his lungs to a deep, rhythmic pace. He had made his decision, and now there was no time to second guess his choice. Besides, there was a certain ‘rightness’ to his decision. Narlich, and he himself, had been pawns in the hands of the elemental lords. It seemed fitting that the elemental gods’ own championship could be used to suit his own purposes. Such thought might be considered blasphemous by the Energy Lord, but Kalen saw little point in concealing his true intentions. Elemental lords were well capable of seeing through any falsehoods he might create in his own mind. Besides, he had a natural affinity with energy, considered by the Drak to be the life source of all beings, the spark that drove the chaotic frenzy of life, and if the Energy Lord believed his own ends could best be served through Kalen’s championing of his cause… then mutual goals could be achieved.

He concentrated on a simple mental exercise, listening for the sounds of other warriors entering the Spike pit, the crack of their leathers, the clank of the weapons, the screams of the crowds, but forcing his mind not to judge them, not to comment on them.

The grim reaper stalked this place, death nigh in its future. It was familiar, comparable to the horror of Narlich’s fall, and the ghostly memories that yet haunted his mind‘s eye. He knew that memories of his homeland‘s destruction could distract him in this den, but to deny the ghosts, to suppress them, was to weaken himself. A memory of ashes gathered, and he opened his mind to its scent, its painful beauty. He opened his eyes and received colour, yet not form. He was in balance with the world, and received its wonder.

The initiate screamed, a raw bloody call of savagery, plunging his sword into the orc’s chest. His shoulders ached, battered from the butchery. Throughout the night his sword had risen and fallen, smashing down on their foes as a blacksmith’s hammer. Had he not been so exhausted he might have marvelled that he had survived so long, when so many of his more experienced comrades lay dead. So many times he had been saved by sheer fortune. So many times he had been saved by the courage of his brethren.

He panted, looking about for the next foe to slay. For several moments he stared out at the blood soaked clearing, confusion written across his face. Finally he realised that there were no more of the wretched creatures. But they would be back. There were always more.

He glanced down. Tilak lay dead beside him, her delicate fingers still clutching a bowstring. Azeron was slumped beside the earthen wall, his axe buried in an orc’s skull. Tillath, Gaverlok, Creafs… Icy fear inched up the Initiate’s spine.

Was he the only one left? Was he the only member of the squad still standing?

Choking coughs interrupted his thoughts. Thurloth, their great bear of a sergeant lay slumped against a tree, three arrows sticking out from his chest.

Thurloth’s eyes flickered open as the initiate ran to his side. His tongue wetted dry lips, aware that his wounds were fatal. An ordinary man, even one so physically strong as Thurloth, would have long since succumbed to the pain, embraced death as respite from the ragged agony. But the Drak would not go quietly into the night.

“Narlich… is lost.” As he said the words, Thurloth knew them to be true. Their squad had nearly been over-run so many times, and they merely held a high woodland pass, advantageous for setting up siege engines... but otherwise of limited worth. Far off, with his sensitised eye-sight he could make out fires in Narlich’s once glorious streets.

“Run lad. Get to Bremen. Warn them.”

The recruit hesitated, wide eyed at the sergeant’s words, a hand hovering over one of the arrow-shafts, desperately seeking a way to help his leader.

Suddenly, the sergeant’s great hand clasped the initiate’s own, gripping it with ferocious strength.

“That’s an order… Kalen.”

Then Thurloth’s eyes slowly rolled up, as his great heart and lungs finally gave up their impossible struggle with the laws of nature.

“Aye ser” the recruit whispered. For a long moment he stared at the sergeant’s now still form, gently closing his teacher’s eyelids.

Then he turned, and sprinted away.

Kalen shook his head, clearing aside the memories. He had followed Thurloth’s order, yet his warning had largely gone unheeded, with Bremen’s forces largely unprepared for the dark forces’ assault. Only the desperate courage of the city’s guardians had held back the black tides.

And it had all been a distraction, all merely a feint, when the true goal of the orcs’ dark leader had been buried beneath the city. A goal, which a disparate band of adventurers had been manipulated into helping him all but achieve.

In the months that had followed the destruction of the orcs and their leader, he’d slowly accepted Alyss’ forgiveness for himself. Slowly acknowledged that the loss of his great friend was not his fault. Slowly conceded that closeting himself away from the world would be a disservice to her memory.

Finally he resolved to seek out other survivors of Narlich’s fall. He had pursued rumours, travelled across the lands in search of his kindred. He’d journeyed after knowledge, after even scraps of hope.

All had come to nothing.

Eventually, he’d decided to make one last attempt to call out to survivors of his homeland’s fall, by entering this championship.

Should he survive, and his call find no answer… perhaps then he could release Narlich’s hold on him. Recently he had felt envy at the sight of a farmer walking through the fields, his young son clutched to him, the boy’s arms clasped about his father’s neck, face buried into the man’s neck. Perhaps he too could find peace.

Of course, if I don’t start moving soon, I’m going to find the peace of the dead.

Sending a surge of adrenaline through his veins, Kalen entered the Spike arena, taking in the vista before him. Three potential opponents had already gathered in the room, two close to the central pillar of the room. Dark imps gathered close by a tall man, who had his back to the pillar, a glowing ball of blue fog hovering menacingly close by. Another foe appeared to be a swordsman, hooded, and clothed in a dark tunic and black pants, who had strode forward to read the pillar‘s runes. And a third, medium built, wearing a bright blue sleeveless shirt, who also stared up at the inscriptions of the pillar…

A pillar whose top was chained to four lethal, lightweight, enchanted spikes that were currently lying on the floor…

As a child, Kalen had played a game called ‘swing ball,’ used by the Drak to stimulate combat reflexes. The game was simple enough, a ball that had been lashed to a post being batted from one side, and then the next, so that it swung about the pillar. Hit too hard, it could fly about the summit of the post- but- if hit at the right velocity, the ball would circle about the base of the pole, until it came into contact with an obstacle.

It was an image that the Drak knew could be turned into bloody reality in this room.

With an illusionary air of confidently he strode forward, approaching the pillar, endeavouring to close the gap with his foes. Hopefully they would not react before he sent his war hammer slamming into one of the spikes, sending it spinning about the central plinth in a deadly arc of death…

AQ  Post #: 6
7/15/2009 18:47:23   
2009light

Chad didn't have to wait very long until four opponents have shone themselves in the arena. For a full experience and glory, it would be better to wait until most of the competitors have arrived, but waiting wasn't something that Chad Sleas wasn't feeling right now. Perhaps he could introduce himself as a way of polite formalities before the bloodshed started. He took a glance up at the spectator's stands. Already the seats were being filled, and the energy that they put forth upon cheering so early signaled they were waiting for something to happen. Already one competitor has taken up defensive positions beside the pillar. Thus far, the apparent summoner was the only one that Chad knew anything combative-wise about. The other three had yet to showcase their abilities other then what was plainly seen. Everyone was somewhat cautious, inspecting the spikes, the pillar, and everything-in-between. His excitement was beginning to charge up to an unbearable amount that threaten to explode. Here I am, here in this place for battle, yet I stand idle? What would my lord think of me if I don't do anything?

Chad reached down to touch the spike that was held by a chain to the pillar. Carefully, he applied part of the electric current running in his veins and magic to the spike. When he looked at his result, he was quite disappointed. Perhaps I better rethink my plan. Apparently this metal isn't as conductive as I had first hoped. Doesn't matter. I didn't come here expecting to have an advantage with the arena. I have other ways of proving my worth. He took a step back to take in what he could feel in the atmosphere before his next decision. Why wait? Besides, isn't the thunder and lightening of storms random and fleeing of the moment? Take the advantage of the calm to unleash the storm.

Of course you can never rule out that the others may strike at this time before Chad since this is a good opportunity to win the upper hand early in the fight. (Being as how his lord did give the ability of reasoning and sparks of epiphany to everyone to which they could attack at the least suspected moment, it was best that he made the first move, being as how he was the first to arrive.) In particular, it was odd how everyone was advancing towards the pillar, and with the chained spikes, it was likely that something was about to be attacked.

He turned himself to face away from the pillar, and prepared himself with the energy inside of him. As soon as he could no longer hold it in, he let the built-up energy inside of him release to carry him away from the pillar and out of incoming danger should any of his opponents decide to attack. His momentum was stopped by a quick spin on his heels to face in the direction of the pillar, the summoner, the man in black, and the new enemy who has just arrived. His left hand had, in the about-face, reached into the pouch upon his left side and has already pulled out the chain stored within. With his right hand, he allowed himself to bend down to grab one of the metal balls that was tucked away inside his boot. As soon as he grasped it, Chad's energy poured into it almost as though the metal sphere was absorbing his energy. When his hand came out of his boot with the sphere -glowing and sparking with the energy within- he threw it in the direction of the pillar and in the direction of the newest arrival.
AQ DF  Post #: 7
7/15/2009 19:04:44   
xaxtoo

"You only like him cause he's sexually appealing, but his fortunes have him..."

The jovial and slightly non-sensical singing cut off abruptly as Phork for having stepped through the overly large metal gate dividing dreams and ambitions from banality and apathy. Though, like the sunlight's reappearance to provide once again an audience to his singing, the music did not simply stop, but rather recessed into the Phork's mind, awaiting a better time to escape and tell the world the inner emotions of this rather fat man.

Another reason Phork stopped singing was that the mixing of music and bloodletting seemed too incongruous of a match. And in front of so large of an audience, he wouldn't want to make the first impression that he's not treating the occasion seriously by providing extra entertainment than what's advertised and paid for. Restraining the music took an obvious effort, as to any astute observer can easily see, Phork's head moved to some internal directives, yet the motion was mechanical and forced. Instead of allowing this painful struggle between passion of life and somberness of the moment to take place, Phork should have simply let his excitement abate, fade into a calmer mindset, one better suited for battle anyways, but he cannot be faulted for trying to hold on as long as possible to vestiges of this rare appearance of joy.

Phork was even surprised that he got caught in the moment enough to let joy flare up amidst of all his current worries. Chief amongst his problems was the need to find a suitable lead. Not having one is akin to half a tortilla shell, missing the flap and ends to trap inside all the melted mélange of deliciousness inside; instead the thing deflates and leaves its innards all over in a nasty mess, an intentional slipshod, missing all the spirit not to mention girth of a plump burrito. And likewise, Phork, the wing man, already blessed with girth, still needs that person, his better half, to hold together the identity of himself. It's a large enough crisis that the needs of Phork, the chef and Phork, the person are dormant in fear of conflicting interests.

As often the case, desperation feeds purpose, and Phork is already on the lookout for that special someone. He quickly dismissed the three in the middle of the arena and the one on approach. The scene of combatants flocking towards the most interesting point in the arena reminded him of bugs gravitating towards light. In other days that would be worth a chuckle, but he just moved on and considered the one walking alongside the arena. With no more information about the man and not wanting to seem needy, Phork walked in the opposite direction.

He took in the arena with his first couple of steps. The effect of his examination left him floored. Spike Arena is simply magnificent: metal everything with tenderizing spikes thoughtfully placed on the walls and even on the pillar in the center. Thoughtful! Perhaps fear should've been the natural reaction, but the chef inside marveled at the thought of a large frying pan. Just think of the masterful creation about to take place here--a chef's playground, his domain. The only odd thing might be the bluish hue to the metal, but despite that, the chef wanted to chuckle and the person acquiesced.

Instead of the displeased growling current coming from the portly round thing that can only be described as the belly, a different vibration emanated to throat to escape in short bursts deep and soft laughter. The angry rumblings persisted, however, for not even awe is enough now to make the stomach forget the transgression of not having eaten for the previous few nights. Not that he didn't want to, mind, but a mix of having a curse placed upon him plus inferior products from inns made him shy away from putting anything inside his mouth, which thusly results in another desperation, but this was not the reason Phork stuck his tongue out towards the closest spike.
AQ  Post #: 8
7/15/2009 22:57:09   
ringulreith

Faint rays of golden light filtered in through an open window, illuminating a plain, square room. The walls were clean and had been painted recently, leaving them with a white luster. Wisps of warm air wafted into the room, scenting it with the fresh smell of grass and flowers. Opposite the window lay a mostly undecorated wooden door, except for the thin carvings that crisscrossed across its simple brown complexion. Hung on the door was a tall white mirror, its cold metal frame decorated with a series of small spirals intersecting each other. Beneath the window sat a bed, with a metal frame, and a soft, comfortable mattress. Beside it was a small black bedside table, polished so it shined in the pale sunlight, with a lit oil lamp on its smooth surface. Beyond that, in the corner adjacent the door, a wooden cabinet stood tall and proud, its fine exterior dappled with blotches of gold. Finally, opposite the cabinet stood an oaken desk, wreathed in shadow, complete with an unlit lamp and a chair of the same composition.

Warm sunlight caressed Blaze’s handsome face as he slept on his soft bed sheets, his head lying on a fluffy feather pillow. As the sun slowly rose, he began to wake up. At first, only his eyes started to flutter open, but gradually he began to stretch his body, awakening the sleeping muscles. With a slow sigh, he propped himself up, using his elbow as support. Grudgingly, he threw off his warm, white covers, moving his legs off the equally soft and warm bed sheets in the meantime. Leaning over, he opened the first of two drawers on his bedside table. Rummaging through its jumbled contents, he pulled out a plain white tunic and a pair of blue pants, which he proceeded to wear over his white underclothes. He stood up drowsily and walked over to the mirror on the door, rubbing his eyes on the way. A fair face looked back at him through the glass, tired bright green eyes following his own. Crafted with a short, straight nose, a thin mouth, high cheekbones and a well structured jaw, his visage was nothing less than handsome. To finish it all off, wavy platinum hair cascaded down to his shoulders, gleaming in the morning sun.

Walking back to the bedside table, he pulled out a black vest from the still open first drawer, which he put on after closing the drawer. He then opened the second drawer, pulling out a pair of black leather boots and a pair of black socks. Closing that drawer, he opened up the third, and last, drawer, and quickly swiped a bag of money and a key, both of which he swiftly deposited in one of his vest pockets. He sat down on his bed and slipped on his socks, his boots going on after them. With a final glance at the mirror, and a quick combing of his hair with his hand, he stood up once more, crossing the room in three strides. The door swung open noiselessly, revealing a long, candle-lit hallway lined with many doors all of the same design. Fishing the key out of his pocket, he locked the door behind him. He took the hallway to the left, which ended at a set of tall wooden stairs that were newly polished and cleaned.

“I’d like three boiled eggs, a salad, and some water, please.” Blaze was standing in front of a large wooden table behind which the inn keeper was standing. He was a muscular man, sporting a large black shirt and a short, unkempt beard. The man had asked him what he had wanted, and Blaze answered him hungrily. The inn itself was mostly empty, for it was still early morning, and most of the patrons were still in bed. The walls were fine, painted lavishly and polished to a gleam, the floor clean and smooth, slightly reflecting the lanterns that hung above, and the sunlight coming in from its many windows. Many tables were set about, all of them covered in a uniform white tablecloth. In the center was a fireplace, its roaring flames crackling menacingly.

“Would you like a loaf of bread with that?” asked the inn keeper unconcernedly, a kind smile spread on his face.

“Oh, yes please.”

“Fine with me. That’ll be, hm, ten gold pieces.” Snatching his money bag, Blaze tossed some gold coins to the large man. Right when he was going to put the small bag away, he stopped.

“Oh, and,”, Blaze pulled out a coin before continuing; “can I have it delivered to my room?”

“Sure thing, it’ll be my pleasure!” Blaze smiled contentedly, tossing the extra coin over before departing.

Back in his room, Blaze sat down on his bed to await his breakfast. Sure enough, about one minute later, he heard a knock on his door.

“Come in!” Standing up, he strode forward as the door opened, and a waitress came in carrying a tray with his meal on it. Thanking her, he took the tray and walked back to his bed, laying the tray on the table beside it. Picking up a fork and a knife, he began to slowly eat his food, savoring every bite as if it were his last.

Blaze strode calmly through the bustling streets of Bren, a warm breeze flirting with his fluttering platinum hair that shined in the sunlight. He was not wearing the clothes he had worn in the inn, now sporting a set of armor instead; a black scalemail vest, the upper front area replaced with a light black steel plate with a sun painted over the heart; black scalemail vambraces for his forearms and black scalemail greaves for his thighs; a pair of black scalemail gauntlets with the same sun insignia painted on their backs; and a pair of black leather boots reaching his knees. Worn under all of this was a set of matching heavy black pants and a black long-sleeved shirt. In his left hand was a black steel kite shield, a large sun pictured in its center, and on his back was strapped a katana, its handle made of light-blue leather and its tsuba, or guard, decorated with carvings of miniature suns. The sheath was plain, made of black leather, and only decorated with another sun painting, and the strap was equally plain, made of the same simple black leather.

As Blaze drew near the gate to the legendary spike arena, he could already see the large metal spikes it was famous for, light glinting off their cold blue surface. A crescendo of sound assaulted his ears; screaming spectators, applaud, whistling, even the rare sound of music blasting from the stands. The sound was overwhelming, and Blaze felt he could be crushed by its immenseness. As he walked closer to the arena, however, his ears became more accustom to the sound, and he shut it out in the back of his mind. After all, it was nothing but a distraction, a petty little obstacle in his quest to be the elemental champion.

Soon, he was at the gate, looking at the entire arena in awe; the large, foreboding spikes along the wall; the metallic alter-like pillar in the center; the four chained spikes hanging from that pillar; and the general sheen of the entire structure, which appeared to be made entirely of the same cold blue metal. As he stepped in, he noticed that he was not the first one here; he could find at least three lingering near the central pillar, and found more as he looked. Drawing his katana from its place on his back, which had a simple blade, carved with a white sun insignia on both sides of it, he decided to observe from the shadows, hiding directly to the left of the arena entrance.

‘How ironic, a warrior of the light deciding to watch from the darkness?’

‘Be quiet, I must concentrate on the task at hand!’ he screamed at himself mentally.

< Message edited by ont -- 7/16/2009 20:38:11 >
Post #: 9
7/16/2009 0:22:55   
dragon

Some days, the sun seemed to rise as if in an old film, blatantly rendered frame by frame. With more than just a pleasant morning glare on today's horizon, the sun rose in this abnormal fashion, slow, monolithic in its girth. Each ray, like an ancient and wispy finger, reached infinitely away, and Logain basked in the warmth, the only warmth he could find in this frost-bitten dawn.

He had been like a hawk, peering into the depths of Bren, for more than a month now. He had gained what knowledge he could from various, often barely audible, passing whispers. He knew not only of what lay in wait for him at the great complex in the distance, but he could recall every figment of fear, every virtually undetectable hint of nervousness that hid behind those quaint syllables. He hadn't spoken a word, his only communicative actions being the soft pounding of his heart and the rustle of leaves in the night, during those long hours of practice and self-torment. There were spots in the woods where only large, gaping holes now existed in the canopy, the empty branches like the veins running across a chasm, a deep void of the heart, spots where his magic had whirled furiously through the crisp midnight bell tolls.

All of that was behind him now. For the first time since its weaving, he threw on an black cloak, the hood resting gently atop his bald, ghastly scalp. The hood extended far past his brow, into the sweeping bow of the approaching day, so that his mask was cast fully in a looming shadow. His coat was now hidden beneath the crude wool cloth, and it would remain that way through the town. Slipping nonchalantly beneath the cover of the cloak, the 3 foot long Seraphim staff sank into the texture of the fabric and became like a wraith beneath the weave of the physical world. Logain was now entirely immersed in the large and kingly cloak, and without a moment's hesitation, he stepped quickly towards the large structure splayed out before him, enthroned in the distant hills, waiting for him, rising to meet him as the shining sun had done so little time ago.

With long and intentional strides, Logain swept across the landscape. Every step was a catalyst for a dusty breath from under foot, dirt catching on the currents of the gentle breeze that was moving lightly through the blades of grass. The dust didn't settle right away as it should have, but lingered in some call to glory, a magical web enticing them into a prolonged flight in the early air. Behind him, Logain left a long, winding path, one the seemingly refused to wither for the time being, an eternal marker of his former presence.

"What do you command m'Lord?"

Logain had not spoken to the figure in decades, and spoke now only to forgive himself of this trespass on the code of worship. In his omniscient place amongst the stars, the Great Wind had always been a guiding hand, but nothing more than a gentle touch, this way or that. It was now that a brief gust blew across the hills, silent save for a whistle, gaunt and faded.

"Your will be done m'Lord."

What could he promise but victory or failure? He was no agent of destiny or fate, nor was the almighty wind of the heavens, nor were the cardinal spirits, and so he asked himself, was there any heart but his beating within his torso? Was the muscular pump of his future self, and the driving force of his younger persona beating in rhythm, in harmony. What was his melody? Could he even live for the future when the future was a moment undiscovered?

These thoughts were ushered out, his confusion drained with a new, hanging realization draped upon his shoulders. It hung so low as to brush his ankles, whisper against his toes, this new focus and understanding that as he dropped his silent footfall unto the road, only the meager city lay between him now. Between him and the vertical rise, the godly, forsaken gate to tomorrow. To a strength untapped. He knew it was time to reach deep within, and spread his arms to the stars, to discover what was given to him so many years ago. He didn't hesitate for a moment, although he was sure he knew what would come next.

"What do you command m'Lord?"

The world fell into a deafening quiet. There was no movement, no pulse of life, no roar of death. There was no pain, no sorrow. No strength, no happiness. There was only a rushing wind, a gale of serene power. There was no answer here, simply chaos, a disturbed order.

"Your will be done m'Lord."

And so Logain Dedracio stepped not in a direction on faith, but relative to what lie ahead. He stepped not forward, or back, left or right, but towards the arena complex, a life of its own, something distant from what he had done, where he had been thus far.

His steps no longer brought dust to a standing ovation, but tussled the hair of onlookers. His wake was a windswept world, and the shadow hiding his mask began to shudder with the gusts swirling unexpectedly off the cloak. Many were curious, but his look was unassuming and while mysterious, nothing particularly spectacular, save for his sheer height. The only consolation he could take as he glided through the city was that it was not unheard of to see competitors of his size or of some comparable, towering position at this time during the year, and no one could identify his mechanical additions through his multitude of clothing.

By the time he had reached the other side of the city, he had saved himself considerable notice through his disguise, but knew that his true identity was due a breath of air, that it was no longer his place to be a hooded stranger. Instead, he would step into the world as a masked one. Without braking stride, he shed his black garb onto the path behind him, revealing his majestic long coat, a sweeping, unique canvas of a brilliant white coloring, pinstriped to its lower seam, adorned with a silk white lapel. Beneath he wore a pure white shirt and pants of the same shade, with a black the color of deep night painted upon a vest which he wore over his button down shirt. He resembled a modern rendering of a 1920's Earth gang member, even wearing a cloud white, formal glove on his left hand. This similarity met its demise in moments once one encountered the mask set upon his face. A hideous, yet pristine and awe-inspiring mask of a sleek silver metal, it was a tribal depiction of the joyful and sorrowful masks of drama, a demonic expression written in the meeting of the two contradictory pieces of the puzzle. All he could remember of Earth, he wore upon his body. It seemed ridiculous, and absurd it was. But he could not let these fleeting images pass him by. Here they were, established in a fantastical world. He almost laughed to himself as he thought, perhaps Earth is the fantasy land of the elves.

Even now, it was impossible to distinguish that he had any kind of metal mutation beneath his clothing, and he intended to keep this facade until the time was right. He felt the gold latches on the back of his mask throbbing with power, with hunger. This feeling was from some origin past his buried memories of Earth, his grainy recollections of a former life. It was instinctual, born of some beast within him. He felt it in the air. It was within them all. The smell of blood had never wafted into range as such a sweet perfume, the relished scent of a blooming flower. He knew it. Death was birthed here. The irony of such a though did not escape him, but only half of his mask would deliver even a smirk to the outside world. On the inside he grimaced. There would be no mistaking this for what it truly was. A sick game. He would not settle as a pawn, a knight, or a castle. Not a bishop, a king, or a queen. He would be the player. They would all be players. This was far beyond a simple game of chess. Checkmate never sounded so much like a clashing sword, or a final, hollow, desperate breath.

He stepped into the arena, slowing on his entrance, quickly acquainting himself with his surroundings. Immediately he felt a series of energy pulses rippling towards him, and he tried with momentary, intense concentration to identify his opponents. He felt power flying towards the top levels of what he had felt in his encounters in the world of Lore prior to this moment, elemental affiliation ranging across the spectrum. Light, dark, and...energy, a blooming wave of power dispersing from a point of mana use. Someone was attacking. It didn't take long to see the commotion at the center of the arena, a set of gears moving in unspoken agreement for now, but a wrench was being tossed in the mix. He would steer clear for now. He noted the combatants on the outside edge of the room, before taking a deep breath and taking in the most obvious threat.

The spikes bore an odd resemblance to the mask perched so humbly upon his burned face. A bright metal composed the spikes, as if to taunt their perfection. As if asking, no, pleading with the competitors to mar their surfaces with blood. The entire room was like an innocent child with a secret guilt, begging forgiveness, a rose that wanted only recognition for a beauty, and an intentional forgetfulness about its thorns. Logain just to the right of the room's threshold, grounding himself, realizing every movement, every breath, every whisper. He simply eyed the competitors, taking deep breaths as he moved from one to the other, feeling their power radiating through the cold, heartless chamber.

< Message edited by dragon -- 7/18/2009 12:18:05 >
Post #: 10
7/16/2009 16:52:35   
ringulreith

The time for waiting was over. He had stayed silent for too long, and nobody seemed to have an interest in him. It was time for the light to shine through the darkness, for the light to emerge from the shadows. It was time for action. Leaning on his sword, light reflecting off its smooth surface, he began to form a plan in his mind, the roaring cacophony of the croud now nothing more than the quiet buzzing of a bee, shut away, locked away in the deepest recesses of his brain.

Light began gathering at the blade of his katana. Seven small light crescents started to form on the katana’s edge. Very small and thin, they would be very hard to see, and therefore block. But their purpose was not for offence, no, far from it. As they formed, he started applying pressure to them, making them more tangible, more solid. The thin crescents were not completely solid, no, but that too was not their purpose. They were strong enough to slice through leather and cloth if thrown at a high speed. Raising his sword, Blaze prepared to launch them. With a strong horizontal swing, seven thin blades of light launched off at a dizzying speed, each heading towards one of the seven other contestants. Hopefully, seven thin blades of light would strike all of the other seven contestants, confusing them, and Blaze would have a chance to make his attack in the chaos.

As one spell finished, another began. Behind him, where nobody would be able to spot it, a ball of light formed, spinning ever faster, drawing light into its blinding white core. Bigger and bigger it grew, waiting, waiting for the command it needed. And as it grew, so too did its solidity.

< Message edited by ont -- 7/17/2009 14:27:01 >
Post #: 11
7/16/2009 18:27:00   
xaxtoo

From the moment Phork's tongue touched metal, all its relevant properties became known to Chef Phork. Missing the identification of the magical fusion, Phork did arrive at a couple of conclusions from his taste test. The first thing he noticed was that the arena pan had slight hint of blood, which would mar the over quality of the food cooked, and his ebullience of having the world's largest pan subsided a bit. The second thing he noticed was that the metal itself would be very difficult to heat, and his ebullience faded further. Yet he was not much discouraged, for making something in adversity is a close bed-fellow of greatness. And there's no better moment than the Elemental Championships for legends to be made. Surely, he can use the tournament's prestige and annual frequency to give all his creations the additional tag of Limited Edition. And if he snuffs it, other than the tragic happenstance of his death, his dishes would get even more fame, of course that’s provide the latter wasn’t the cause of the former to occur.

Already furiously working on recipes, Phork started moving away from that spike and a little ways from the wall. Now that he's got a feel for the spiky agent that is the accessory for meat tenderizing attached to the pot, there's no reason to remain in the proximity of pointed things unnecessarily. Plus, as the metal's property almost completely negates the effect of his mark, Phork would have had to be more than foolish to remain and try to use it as a trap, for doing so would require a lot more effort than a half-sane chef, and still very much relegated in the background combatant, should put forth.

Ideas arrive, precursors for ground-breaking dining! Improvisation moves Phork towards a whole new style of cuisine--cold foods and salads. And the method of getting there will be accompanied by dicing, chiffonading, chopping, slicing, and possibly even julienning every now and then. The skills of his knife will be the showpiece, the impressions left on the food will be both masterful and pleasing to the eye. Cutting will be art. The new standard of cooking will make his eventual dish stuff of legends.

Oddly, prospects of cutting, cutting, and more cutting really got Phork excited today. It must be the fighter in him wanting light of day, but the others urged him patience. Told him, he was a butcher of a man, and his chance will arrive soon, and the glint of bloodlust faded from Phork's eyes.

Since inside a metal cauldron might not be so conducive a place for obtaining ingredients for a salad, he settled for the more accessible thing: meat. He'll need a bait. And he stopped moving, not having actually gotten very far from the wall at all. Time for a little preparation.

On his wing...no arm. Phork, confounded, slightly shook his head at the mental error. With a little trepidation, he lifted his left arm into view. A very human arm arrived in sight much to his relief. On the arm was shapely rows of hair, much of which is short and small, but there are lines of larger specimen, making lilliputian the stature of others. The giant hairs oozed abnormality just like the curious nature in which the hair was arranged. Having always found that odd, Phork paid it no mind in his hurry, and grabbed a fistful of the convenient and inviting, just made for this occasion, longer hair from his arm, he pulled. They easily came into Phork's hand, and immediately became thin strips of beef.

With one graceful motion, Phork sat down and spread the steak strips on the arena floor in front of him. It all took an instant, and happened with an elegance that looked out of place for having originated from such a round man. If one guessed that the inner beats of the music finally meshed with the external actions, then that one could be no truer.

Something small flew by above where his head was moments before. Phork paid it no mind, of course, doing any man possessed proud for all the attention he gave it. Finally in sync with his inner melody, Phork will not have a small attack hinder that. Greater work has to be done!

Pouring the heat of passion and the heat of fire into one slice of meat, Phork grilled. To sell the product with street vendor know-how, he reached into his backpack for a small fan and waved it to waft the smell across the arena. The wing man kept quiet all this time in hopes of the aroma attracting a suitable lead, but the chef's aspirations were bigger and rife with grandeur. "Come," he thought, "come to the bar-b-que, come enjoy the fire and friends, come to see your food cooked, come to a slaughtering, come suffer searing pain and anguish, come to see your demise." For now the chef must assume a different role. He is the butcherman.

As the music shifted to hip stylings of I'm the Butcherman in his mind, he smiled and shouted for the world to hear, "how would you like your meat cooked?" He even had the sauce ready; it just need something to coat.
AQ  Post #: 12
7/16/2009 19:20:08   
Mirai

Electricity causes a rapid build up of heat to that which resists the flow of electrons. Thus, human flesh and internal organs can burn in its passing. But such burning can be the least of a human’s concerns, if in contact with an electrical source. The electrical flow can also incapacitate a nervous system, causing vital muscles to spasm and contract. The human heart can cease its beat, the lungs can stop their vital pumping of air through the body.

Ironically, with his ability to manipulate and control the functions of his own border, it is conceivable that Kalen might have simply caught Chad’s orb and compelled his body not to resist the electrical flow, channelling the stream of electrons into the earth, in a manner that avoided his vital organs, with only limited damage. Indeed, given the Drak’s capacity to discharge his own electrical energies in a focussed burst, it would have been conceivable that he might have unleashed the electrons at his foes. Conceivable, though by no means certain: such control, at such an atomic level, would require significant concentration and will, even for a Drak.

Regardless, as Kalen was not aware of the nature of the threat posed by Chad’s electrified metal ball, he took an entirely different course of action. The young Drak had no way of knowing whether the metal would explode on contact with the ground, release a noxious gas, or unleash a vortex to the abyss. Consequently, as the blue shirted warrior’s metal orb flew towards him, Kalen instinctively hurled himself to one side, muscled legs propelling him to his right, to avoid the object.

So much for that grand masterplan. What in the seven hells was I thinking, hoping that I could just walk up to these warriors? Trust my luck to be the first man attacked in the whole arena.

As his shoulder collided with the arena’s floor, Kalen made no effort to halt his momentum, rolling over to push himself aright himself once more. As he did so, his gauntleted left hand plucked a throwing knife from his left boot, and sent the blade spinning towards the midriff of the blue shirted warrior who had attacked him. A split second later, feet still propelling him up from the floor, his gauntleted hand had flicked two more steel fangs from his belt, and sent them slicing through the air, aimed to fly a yard either side of the man‘s heart.

Throwing accurately while in motion was a difficult skill, but Kalen had been taught by the best, a scarred man named Ferin whose skills with knife and dagger had been a marvel to behold. Not knowing the Drak’s true identity, Ferin had taken the young warrior under his wing, and taught him the arts of his craft. Kalen might not have his master’s skills, but he would have still walked into the role of knife-thrower in most circus troupes. His steel shafts would fly through the air with a hawk’s vengeful speed as it dived towards its cowering prey.

Then the Drak was upright once more, feet blasting against the arena floor as he powered forward toward the energy wielder: his plan to send the chained spikes flying would have to wait. Even as he did so, his eyes took in the extra combatants joining the arena. Saw a madman licking a spike, and then conjuring flaming meat stips before him. Saw a shining crescent of light flying towards him, terrifying to behold.

His course of action already set, Kalen would doubtless have been struck by the blast of light, had the late Lord Gallaphile’s Gift not come his aid. Invisible to the naked eye, dark tendrils of leaching force launched themselves from his gauntlet to feed, parasitically, upon the sorceries that powered the projectile. A split second later, a burst of light flashed upon Kalen’s green tunic, briefly irritating the Drak's eyes as he charged forward. Fortunately, it was but the work of a moment to clear the sunspots from his vision as he closed in on his blue shirted foe…

< Message edited by Mirai -- 7/16/2009 19:48:34 >
AQ  Post #: 13
7/16/2009 20:35:32   
Sir Inge

Giovanni rose, hod flowing over his forehead. He accounted for all of the new arrivals, and the actions of those that were there. He stared into the audience, and found Alexander praying his heart out for something. Was it for Giovanni's safe return? Or was it for something of a darker nature? The mood soon shifted as something hit Giovanni in the back. It was a projectile light cutter. I attempted to get through to Giovanni's heart, but it collided on the surface of his back plate. He turned in full form, to the man who had sent it toward him. Giovanni closed his eyes in an excited fury. Never had he felt closer to being alive than today. He unsheathed his sword, black and white in full abysmal beauty. He lashed several times to get the grip of the blade and held it to his side, pointing forward. Giovanni focused hard. He had to gather all of his mana. He was not charging for an attack in particular, but for attacks to come. Soon, his body emanated with a black shadowy aura. After fully reneging his mana, Giovanni turned toward the cowering spell caster, leaning up against the pillar. Sir Inge focused. From the ground, three separate portals emerged. The first swirled counter clockwise with a bland of red and black irregularly. The second portal was pure white, almost blinding to a humans eye. And the final portal was crimson red, almost the color of blood. From the Black and red portal emerged a skeleton. This bony warrior stood hunched over at seven foot even, so it seemed he was much shorter. He wore a black, full cover chest plate, which had been broken directly in the middle. His helm covered his entire face, and resembled that of a regal knight, but it was pure red. In each hand he held a pitch black throwing axe. The blades were cut down sharp enough to cut through a fully grown Oak tree. It stood hovering over it's portal with it's head hung low and lifeless.

"Roaz..."

Giovanni began the summoning spell. The next portal revealed another bony minion. Only this time, it wore a pure white monk's robe. In it's left hand, which was missing a finger, it held a six foot long scythe. The robe covered to the minions ankles, revealing bony feet that hovered over it's white portal. Like it's proceeding brother, it hung it's head low with the scythe in it,s hand hitting the ground. This one also was seven feet tall even, but hovered like a slouch. The blade curved in like all scythes, but this one was cut in a fashion to allow extra mobility. The end was replaced with a square, step shaped cut off.

"....Sheetali...."

Giovanni continued with his sword pointed to the portals about two feet in front of him. His face had no emotion, and he spoke in his usual cold tone. He felt unimaginable power. The third, and final portal revealed a replica of the first two. It was seven feet tall, slouching, hovering, with it's head hung low. his one wore no clothes at all. It's pale whit bones easily visible to the cheering audience. the deafening screams encouraging him to move on, Giovanni focused. The new minion held a black longsword. The hilt, had a dragon painted in white engraved on it.

".....Boasil!"

As Giovanni screamed the final word, the portals disappeared. The minions stood on the cold metal lifeless. Giovanni smiled and readied his blade in his right hand. He snapped his fingers with the left. In an instant, all of the minions stood at their full heights. They lifted their heads and looked toward Giovanni in an about face. They also had there weapons ready. The sounds of their bones rubbing together made the crowd cringe. Giovanni smiled at the human moving undead minions.

"Axe, strike the man who cast the spell. Scythe, attack the man who summoned the meat. Blade attack the man with the mask. Make sure you kill them. If you can't, then back to me. Understood? I'll handle the spell caster."

The three minions bowed their heads and ran attacking respectively to each of their targets. Axe was strong, but very inaccurate and slow. Scythe was fast and accurate, but he lacked a lot of power, and if he missed, he left himself open. Blade, was the equilibrium between the two. Individually they were good fighters, and could handle themselves, but they were more efficient together. No matter. they would be fine. Giovanni focused his energy of Regen and built up his mana for his battle with the scared spell caster, pressed against the center spike.

Axe moved in, swinging uncontrollably with his axes. He went berserk and used all of his energy on overhead swings and deadly chops.
Scythe floated gracefully and with this, slashed diagonally several times, flipping his scythe over for extra attack coverage. He continued slicing, being weary and ready to counter. Blade moved diversely, standing in a defensive position, ready to pounce or counter. After a minute, he lunged forward, slicing away, spinning occasionally to keep up momentum. Hopefully, blocking would wear down the masked man.

< Message edited by Calcon30 -- 7/17/2009 13:43:33 >
AQ DF MQ  Post #: 14
7/16/2009 22:28:07   
2009light

The storm is rising...let it be unleashed.

The crowd has gotten an answer to its cry for action. The fight has now begun. The stored up energy within the competitors has been unleashed by a single spark, a single action to kindle and activate the long-awaited stall. It was refreshing to be alive, but invigorating to be in a fight! Not only could Chad feel the excitement of the atmosphere around him, but also the sparks of energy within him. He has felt them before when he had stepped into the arena, but not like this. His attack had released some of the energy that threaten to explode, but it wasn't enough.

Chad watched as his opponent dodged the thrown sphere, which landed upon the metal ground, a few sparks gliding off its surface. It will retain its energy for now, but it will disappear if left alone for too long. It didn't matter, it has served its purpose for now. It was the force that sparked his opponent to take notice of him. That was all he needed.

With his left hand, he began to spin the chain in front of him, more for preparation then for dodging although it turned out to be useful for both. Just as his second chain whipped out from his right pouch, his first chain diverted a projectile of some sort to fly a few feet away from its intended target. Even though Chad hadn't caught sight of this first attack, he was prepared for the second. Both chains lashed outward to either side of his body, somehow knocking those projectiles off course as well. In this position, he was completely vulnerable, but only for a moment. As his limbs stretched, he could feel his tight muscles relax, and the clogged up energy inside of him rushed out to his fingers. Soon, the sparks of life emitted from him sprang unto the chains to share the wealth. The metal links became alive as the electricity made them dance to an unknown beat known only to the Energy King, Chad's Lord and creator. It was in this moment when he dared to take a breath that he noted the other competitors. He didn't look at them as he was already busy himself, but the smell of cooking meat tickled his nose, sounds of the crowd signaling that more have begun their fight, and then something slight, something shining out of the corner of his eye....

It was the blast of light, small and traveling fast. Truly, he had not noticed it, and it has only caught his eye when it sliced into his arm, opening a small wound. Whatever it was, it has hit its mark, but it didn't seemed to have done more then break the skin. The light that flashed upon his eye wasn't too good for his vision, but a quick moment was all he needed to recover. With his opponent closing in and his one eye seeing spots, it wasn't quite a good thing. However, he still had one eye for his enemy, and both of his chains charged with life. He brought them towards his center-front in a vertical criss-cross fashion putting to use his stretch to cover a wider area. The chains continued their dance like fallen wires, not taking heed of where they go.

< Message edited by 2009light -- 7/17/2009 0:19:19 >
AQ DF  Post #: 15
7/16/2009 22:44:06   
ringulreith

Blaze was standing in the shadows, watching the effects of his light projectiles. He did not, however, get a chance to observe all of his light crescents before he was attacked. Some sort of necromantic warrior, a death knight perhaps, had gone through some ritual and summoned three undead; one in white robes, carrying a scythe; one in dark armor, wielding two black axes; and one with its bones showing, holding some sort of black longsword. Blaze was surprised to see that they split up, each one going in their own direction; he expected them to be weak without their companions. Nevertheless, he didn’t have time to ponder, for the axe-wielding one, masked in some knightly helmet, came charging at him. That seemed a very bad strategy to Blaze. What was this necromancer doing?

As the skeleton warrior drew closer to him, his spell, which had been gathering strength behind him, completed. A ball of light, about a sword’s length around, had formed, its light solid enough to scratch metal and slice through leather easily. Drawing on the light swirling around its blinding white core, he formed a wide ring, about a man’s length across, which encircled the skeleton. Reaching out with his mind, Blaze commanded the ring of light to slowly close in on the undead. Hopefully, it would either sever the skeleton in half, or weaken it due to the high concentration of light. Either way, it would give Blaze the upper hand in this fight. In the background, Blaze could hear the crowd screaming for first blood as the ring tightened even more around the axe-wielding knight.

The skeleton continued to charge towards him, slowly, but determinedly. Just before it reached the edge of the ring of light, it stopped, eying the circle suspiciously. Suddenly, it gave out a loud, frightening cry, and with one fell swing, it severed the circle. But just like a ring that can open and close, the circle quickly closed. This time, however, its edge was too close to the skeleton, and the knight couldn’t strike it with the axe again. One command, one thought, finished it all. The circle’s speed accelerated tenfold. A flash of light and the sound of shattering bones were the only warnings before the skeleton fell to the metal floor, utterly destroyed. The thing never really had a chance in the first place. Shards of broken bone flew everywhere, some big, some small, but they would surely hurt if they hit somebody.

As Blaze finished the undead off, he noticed, for the first time, the juicy smell of cooking meat. Looking around, trying to smell where the scent was strongest, he pinpointed the origin of the smell to be from some strange humanoid thing, which was very hairy, sitting down and cooking several strips of meat nearby. A fire user, no doubt. A fire user with a very sick sense of humor.

‘And a very good sense of taste, too.’ Blaze was very wary of the humanoid, for while the smell was oh so enticing and promiced a succulent meal, it could as well be a trap.

Behind him, hidden by his tall stature, the ball of pressured light waited like the maelstrom, a harmless spinning ball of light that would release its full fury at any time.

< Message edited by ont -- 7/17/2009 15:41:40 >
Post #: 16
7/16/2009 23:20:39   
dragon

Had his face not been wrapped in the hard texture of the cold, silver metal, Logain would have flashed a cunning smile at the sight now set, painted in some pale fresco before his steely eyes. Not only did he feel the surge of battle tear through the very fibers of his being, but he basked in the intense pulses of energy crashing against his figure.

The reflective surfaces of the arena hearkened the eruption of light from a neighboring corner of the room, and in a somewhat brash reflex, Logain sent his right arm swerving through the space in front of his mask, lucky enough to just nip the edge of the small crescent as it flew towards him, sending it spiraling blindly into the wall just behind him. His long coat had suffered a clean cut, right down to the metal of his arm, and while the attack peaked his annoyance, it peaked his awareness, as well. He knew that the real attack would come at any time now. He would be ready.

Quick glances about the room from behind the mask reassured him that he was going generally unnoticed, and his shadowed edge allowed him a graceful retreat from the looming danger. His claws danced in and out of the metal finger tips, as if rearing their ugly heads, showing themselves so as to follow the scent of blood. He rolled his head gently, stretching his neck, but remained in his casual stance.

The tail of his coat was soon engaged in a timid waltz with the tickling whisper of wind that started to roll around him. It was playful now, but he felt it strain against him, as if it were some playful tiger cub, who's hidden fangs had just brushed against him for a moment. He could feel it snarling around him, he could hear it's distant hiss. He breathed deeply. He felt the power sink into his lungs.

For the time being, he observed the attacks and defenses of his fellow combatants. His moment would be soon. Though the crescent of light had left but a curious slash in his garb, he took the act of aggression into account with the highest regard. That one had acted in this manner for some reason. Attacking each competitor...why? Simply to anger them? Doubtful. No, that one was sure to show his cards soon enough.

His respite was shortlived though, as a summoning ritual unfurled its inner workings in the midst of the fighting. His attention was secured when a towering figure glanced towards him before turning completely and beginning a fast-paced march in his direction. After many decades in Lore, the sight of undead still disturbed Logain's roots on Earth, as if they remained a breach of his true reality. But this was no illusion or dream, and the moment intensified as the undead's fingers curled into a solid grip around the intricate longsword handle in preparation for the battle to come.

Logain was wary of the fact that it was too early in the tournament to reveal his tricks. It took little consideration to arrive at the conclusion that this would have to be a melee battle so that his magic could remain up his sleeve instead of on it. The gears in his mind began rotating rapidly, spinning about as he calculated his move.

The figure had stopped approximately 10 feet in front of him. Three strides he figured, sub-two seconds to reach the target. Or for the target to reach him. He felt a steady aura from behind him, radiating from the spikes that he put at just under 3 feet away. He re-focused his attention on the figure, sizing him up. It was magic-less, but the fact that it was summoned by magic allowed Logain to read the undead's power regardless. All bone, no visible armor. Considerably weaker than any official contestant in the arena. It wasn't adding up in Logain's calculations. Why send a weak foe? Why not attack yourself?

It didn't matter now, a plan was forming, hatching like a precious newborn bird, awakening to the light of day.

"I don't know what you are, but attacking me is useless. I'm not a threat to your master. P-p-please, I am awed by your power, rest in peace my friend, as the valiant warrior you are."

Logain's legs were shaking blatantly, as if a speck of dust could bring him crashing down. He stepped back slightly, backing away in fear. He needed to find his footing, but the shaking made it difficult to stabilize.

He could've sworn the undead figure smiled a moment before striding towards the cowering Logain. It's approach was quick, and the ghastly figure's broad shoulder's painted the facade of power akin to that of a rampaging bull. It's sword was held low to the side, trailing behind it. In a graceful movement, the warrior raised the blade, using its momentum to bring it crashing in an arc over its head and down, hurdling towards Logain's mask, a smile and a frown landscaped into its metal majesty. The mask was brilliant cover for the intense expression of battle that now consumed every inch of his face.

As if in a final, desperate reflex, Logain's right mechanical limb rose in defiance to the inevitable strike. The powerful arc landed squarely in the middle of his lower arm, sending a shock through him, not one of pain, but the result of the vibratory resonance of a metal on metal collision. It shook his core, raging through the tubes that ran throughout his body. Now was the time.

Logain extended his arm so that his large claw could curl its fingers around the undead's bony hand, which also sat on the hilt of the longsword. At the same time, his left arm performed a swift and smooth dive over his shoulder and down his back, grabbing the 3.25 foot staff that had been sitting beneath the cover of his pinstripe longcoat. In a sweeping movement not dissimilar to the one performed by the undead just moments before, he brought the Seraphim (the staff) smashing into the unprotected bone of the figure's wrist. An eerie crack split through the still air, but no noise of pain erupted from the mouth of the being. It was as though the crack was also a scream from the throat of the warrior.

It wasn't over yet though. His left arm, the one holding the staff, whipped from it's bent position to a locked, arrow-straight extension, and as this movement took place, Logain's wrist swiveled to the right. This brought a second crack, this one a split second scream from the back of the figure's head. Once again, there was no notable development of an expression on the undead's face. Without a second thought, Logain pivoted on his back foot, which he had planted what seemed like ages ago, swinging the struggling warrior from his broken wrist, forcing it around with the Seraphim, still stationary in the divot on the back of its head, slamming it into the spikes that had witnessed the battle with a sickening thud. The figure's bony limbs slipped in between the spikes, but it's head was ruthlessly impaled on multiple metal points, and bone cracked in the final moment as the tips dug into the face of the warrior.

Logain replaced the staff beneath his coat quickly, and pivoted back to face the center of the arena, gently rotating his neck to release the tension that had built up in the moments before. He flexed his hand and claw, and breathed deeply to regain his focus. He shifted his weight to his back foot, not willing to be caught off guard by any other forthcoming attacks. Soon, it would be time to enter the fray.

< Message edited by dragon -- 7/17/2009 14:45:59 >
Post #: 17
7/17/2009 13:50:22   
ringulreith

Blaze smiled. It was time. He was sure of it. The fighting had begun, he could see that his crescents had caused some confusion, and he was alone. Nothing else had tried to attack him for several minutes after the undead axe knight. He could hear the crowd cheering, thirsty for more deaths. He would fulfill their desires. The orb of light behind him had reached its zenith, both in size and in speed. About a sword’s length around, and about as wide as a wall, it was spinning wildly, tendrils of light lashing out at the air. Yes, it was time.
Time to release the maelstrom.

The ball of light began to slowly rise and move forward. It continued this motion until it was high above him, almost as high as the stands, where all could see it. It bathed the arena in a ghastly light, reflecting off the floor and the pillar in the center, making the spikes seem more fearsome than before. There it stood for a short moment, in plain view of all the contestants; a warning of the coming storm. Blaze braced himself. He held his katana over his head, ready for an attack. The sun on its blade gleamed brilliant white beneath the combined light of the sun and the shimmering orb. Then he gave the command. One single command that would change the entire battle. He told the orb to fall, and fall fast. Closer and closer it came, covering Blaze in its almost blinding light. Making him shine so that everybody would see him, see him before he unleashed the storm. Then, exactly when it was at his head’s height, he swung.

BANG!

A flash of light illuminated the arena for a split second, projecting everything as pale, frightening ghosts. That was all it took, however; a perfectly executed swing to its core. The orb shattered like a sphere of glass, hundreds upon hundreds of sharp, jagged pieces flying in all directions, thirsty for blood. Craving the taste of flesh. Some were larger than others, and some were smaller than others. It did not matter. What mattered was the result of his work. As the shards of nearly solid light swept across the arena, he resigned to leaning on his katana, panting from the exhausting task he had just performed. No shard hit him, or even dared come close. Perhaps it was because all the force was focused in front of him, and nothing was blasted backwards. Perhaps it was because the shards did not want to hurt their master. Whatever it was, Blaze was too worn out to know, or even care. Now was the time for resting, not pondering.

< Message edited by ont -- 7/17/2009 23:48:00 >
Post #: 18
7/17/2009 21:56:36   
Mirai

Kalen thundered forward, closing with his foe, even as Chad’s yard-long chains whipped away his throwing knives. The chains seemed to course with energy, dancing to a frenetic beat that seemed almost independent of his enemy’s own motions. The links appeared more akin to the writhing tentacles of the Kraken, as it ensnares and engulfs the foolish seafarers that thought to sail past its lair, than anything inanimate and inert.

Closing in, Kalen noted finer details about his antagonist, the man’s black boots, his silver coloured belt. A corner of his mind wondered who his opponent was, wondered if they might have happily shared a meal together in other circumstances.

What brought him here to this place? Would a wife cry for him if he fell? Would children weep at his grave? Will anyone weep for me? Or will I go unremembered, as my people were?

Alone, he had wept for Narlich’s fallen. Alone, he had gathered their bodies, suffering the thousand memories that danced before his tortured gaze as he roamed the once paved streets, recalling teachers, friends and colleagues. The orcs had been thorough in their devastation, carving a bloody path through the city. No survivors walked these roads now, no merchants would hawk their wares in the markets again. Alone he had placed their corpses on a pyre, and wept into the night as the flames licked and roared at the last passing of those he had held dear.

Such memories flickered through the beat of Kalen’s subconscious mind, but for now, his focus remained concentrated on the battle about him. The chain whips provided a brutally effective defence for his foe, whirling as lethal tendrils before him. There was no way he could completely avoid the lashing wires, and still strike at the man behind them.

So he didn’t try.

Sidestepping to his right, Kalen brought his war hammer ready to fly, readying his gauntlet to accept a blow from one of the chains on his left arm. He trusted in the gift to protect him from harm, confident the metalalic mix of enchanted copper and blackened steel could resist physical damage, and hoping its enchantments could resist any eldritch sorceries emanating from the chains.

Unfortunately for Kalen, the energy that coursed along the chain was no unnatural sorcery, but rather an all too natural surge of electrical energy. Time seemed to slow for the Drak as lightning burned through his gauntlet, an all too effective conductor, and then seared into his veins. In the thunder that rumbled in between the crack of time’s fractions of seconds, his body felt the whirlwind thump of electrons flowing, smashing, and burning as they encountered resistance.

Fortunately, the Drak was not unaccustomed to such sensations, possessing the power to discharge the electrical energies that flowed through the internal systems of all humans. Instinctively, he discharged the energy down the length of his arm as if it were his own, his fist clenching in response to the muscles in his palm contracting as a result of the flow.

More by luck than judgement, he aimed the resulting blast against the spellsword who had previously targeted him with a light shard. Saw the forming bolt blast from his fist, arcing in a brutal blast of white lightning towards the black scale mail vested man.

And then the world exploded into a maelstrom of white light as the katana wielder sent another spell exploding into the arena, shards of light flying in all directions.

Unable to halt his original motion, Kalen continued to swing his mithril mallet about in a rising, glittering arc from right to left, aimed to blast into the side of his chain wielding foe. The weapon sought to crack ribs, its hammerhead forged for this one purpose of war.

Then, without fully being aware of the effect of his strike on his opponent, the Drak dived to the arena floor, skidding along the ribbed surface on his tunic, friction ripping and burning at him. Even as his left arm burned and ached from the effort of channelling the lightning, he forced himself to wrench the gauntlet and war hammer in front of his face, in an effort to shield himself from damage.

About his prostate form, light blades froze in mid air, smashed into one another or burst harmlessly into flashes of light, as the dark tendrils of Gallaphile‘s gift leeched at the mana energies that empowered the sorceries about him. His green tunic pattered with pinpricks as needles splintered against the mithril vest underneath. Then pain seared against his right ankle as a blade sliced into his flesh. Further agony was unleashed on his left arm as another blade speared through his gauntlet, slitting into the burnt flesh of his forearm. Finally, he felt shock and panic seek to control him as another light dagger skimmed along the surface of his scalp, drawing blood, but avoiding a major injury by mere millimetres.

Is this it then? Is this the end at last?

And then- it was over. In the sudden peace that followed the end of the flying shrapnel, Kalen sent a burst of adrenaline coursing through his veins, quelling the screams that his tortured nerves were sending out. Already, as he rose to his feet once more, he was forcing blood to coagulate, knitting skin cells in a song of healing. Even so, as he looked about the arena, readying himself for assault once more, his left arm felt numb, and his ankle burnt with pain…
AQ  Post #: 19
7/18/2009 6:09:29   
2009light

The feel of the frantic beat at the ends of the chains of which Chad held was wonderful. It was random, and it twisted and turned as if asking to be let go, to be given freedom. It was hungry, it was yearning, they were wanting. This is the power given by the spark of life that only the Energy Lord is compatible of. And it is his lord that Chad wanted most to make proud. If his Lord takes pride in him, then he can take pride into himself, and with that pride he gains, he can bestow his honor upon his clan.

The feel of one of his chains became different. It wasn't much, but it has collided with an object in its path which surely must be Chad's opponent. His next move already in his mind by instinct and the feel of energy within him, he wanted to launch another attack after another as a frenzy took possession of him. However, that was short lived as the arena became pale with light. Since his attacker was surely behind him, it was of course that the pale light was his only warning. Not only that, his opponent's mallet was swinging fast toward him at his side. His eyes, alert and cautious despite his rash movements, caught the sight of the attack. What was he to do? It was quite simple: go with the current and keep moving.

At this point in time, in order to turn around and in order to dodge his opponent's attack, he did what he could. The internal current within him fueled his movements of which he dropped and rolled on the ground. This was his way to avoid the mallet and to face against the incoming light shards. Hopefully his opponent was too busy with this surprise attack to bother to hit Chad while he was upon the ground almost defenseless against attacks from above.

His chains, still powered by the energy that gave them a sense of merriment, were thrust in front of him. They still danced to their own music and paid little heed to what came their way. A shard flew past and gently stoke against Chad's cheek, sending a tickle of blood to drip down his face and in his mouth. Its taste was similar to melted iron. It was warm and salty. A few of them could be felt tearing through his legs in a couple of places. All this while, Chad watched with amazement that it seemed like the full force of the light shards weren't completely getting to him. Why was that? Was there some illusion that there weren’t as many shards as he sees? It was quite hard to tell, since his vision was quite blurred from a few flashes of light among the light projectiles themselves.

Soon however, it was all over. He felt as though a storm has passed by, and now it has become peaceful in the arena once again. His chains have quitted their dance as Chad cut off their life source as he tried to allow himself to gather his bearings. Chad could feel his heart was slightly still pumping faster then normal and his breathing was slightly labored. He pushed himself up into a kneeling position, his hands and chains almost prepared for his opponent's next attack. However, his opponent seemed more on the defense then the offense at the moment. Perhaps this calm was brought about on purpose as though by fate. Did his Lord provide this calm for perhaps a formal greeting with his opponent while they prepare for their next attack? Besides, this can at least satisfy any questions or doubts that may come later on should his foe fall in battle. A name is all Chad needed.

As Chad rose to his feet slowly -because of the wounds upon his legs- he wiped the blood that continued to pour from his cheek, and spoke. "Hey, perhaps a random calm like this in the fight was what my Lord intended. Besides, battle is all well and good for honor, but respect cannot be bestowed properly upon someone of which I know not of. I'm Chad Sleas, an honorable member of the Eletic clan. Before we continue, perhaps you can tell me your name?"

< Message edited by 2009light -- 7/18/2009 6:23:01 >
AQ DF  Post #: 20
7/19/2009 2:57:39   
xaxtoo

The piece of thinly cut steak was smelling meaty. With the tendrils of aroma swirling around in his nostrils, Phork couldn't help but regret the fact that he had no bottled wine or even sake to serve along with it. He can certainly produce some, but to do that, he would really need the privacy of being alone to avoid grossing out any potential customers. Ah well, at least now, he can't get cited and charged for dispensing liquor without a proper license in a festival setting.

Having done enough fanning to spread the aroma, Phork set the fan down on the arena floor and observed the effects of his olfactory advertising. He was rather disappointed at the results, for people were choosing to fight instead of eat. Well, he hungrily set about observing these men, now on a different stage, one suited for displaying dominance and qualities suitable for a lead. He ate all that he saw eagerly like a dog set upon its first plate of food of a new day. His penetrating gaze took in everything, from the large details of how they're fighting to the miniscule tidbits such as how well the fighters' clothes conformed to movement. And if no one took any efforts to attack him, Phork could have watched for a long while. Really, times of calm are good chances to use to think of ways to make great first impressions to the eventual few he might choose.

One man made three portals, each spawning a large skeleton with a weapon. Phork is impressed by the man's ability of calling his own wing man whenever and wherever he chose, yet he had to tisk tisk at the thought of skeletons doing anything except mucking things up in the flattery category and providing any kind of conversation to distract the slightly less pretty friend. A flicker of hope that the entire quad-some would come to eat crossed his mind, yet he also knew that none of the four might flock together to try his arena style beef strips. But, the one thing he didn't really expect was a single skeleton rushing towards him. So disappointing!

With a sigh, he dropped his backpack on the ground and got up. Unlike the grace he had shown earlier, the motions reeked purpose and frustration. No wasted movement or flourish was befitting the situation, and Phork stood, back straight and expelling tons of menace towards the oncoming skeleton. He's going to personally show the skeleton the seedier part of the food business in outward displays of discrimination and rejection of service.

Skeletons in groups or with people are fine: every group needs a chill, stoic guy, and bones tend to make having flesh look good, real good. But having a lone skeleton customer is just bad business. Not only will that result in places being called a "dive", a "boneyard" etc, but also single skeleton tend to be uncouth and drive off customers with bad table manners. Finally cleaning up after skeletons is just a pain, since food just goes right through them, and Phork do not want to waste that effort cleaning up after the first customer of the day.

While walking to the front of his stand and purposely avoiding stepping on the meat, Phork plucked two strands of hair from the same arm as before. The hair immediately grew back, but after living like this for so long, Phork doesn't need to confirm that to know what's taking place already, so instead he fixed his gaze upon the skeleton and hoped the thing might sense his displeasure and just leave on his own.

One strand of hair changed into an entire pork ribcage. While balancing the circular side on an arm, Phork's free hand dug into the meat. Fingers found the holes in between the ribcage and wrapped firmly around the sternum. The other piece of hair became a leg of lamb in his hand. He grabbed the ankle and smiled terrorizingly in anticipation of the food fight. Now taking a step towards the charging skeleton, he turned the rib shield inwards, towards his body, and through gritted teeth, sprayed a layer of oil from his mouth onto one side of the ribcage, then the other side received the same coating. He dowsed the lamb leg as well. If he only had a chance to marinade the meat before, but such is life, he can always add sauce later.

As the two figures, perfect foils of one another, one tall and thin, the other stocky and fat in comparison, neared to mere moments of striking distance, the make-shift meat weapons burst into flames. Now the question is whether they'll finish cooking before the fight is over or will there be some skeleton bones for garnish? Cutting off his rendition of pusherman, "butcherman," Phork embraced the now, the time to roll the bones.

The skeleton did not seem to have cared just what Phork did and just continued on its charge. Swing the scythe, the looming figure bore down upon Phork, who held up the shield to deflect. To his relief, the pork bones held, and turned the scythe away, but the flames might not have been there at all for all the non-reaction the skeleton gave it. And pressing the advantage and displaying more acceleration and agility than his weight would suggest, Phork moved swiftly to close any remaining distance that differentiated their respective weapon's ranges. The great scythe struck again, this time the impact with the shield had much less power. This was perhaps due to both less distance to impart momentum to the swing and the skeleton having to stop and change direction of motion to a backpedal which shifted weight from the swing, and either reason suited Phork just fine.

At this point, Phork knew he had the advantage. The scythe was strong at a distance, but since he got close, his proximity allowed much greater strength for his flaming lamb leg. Moreover, the skeleton sudden need to shift weight gave Phork a speed advantage which allowed him to maintain as little distance between the two fighters as he liked. And with power, the club slammed into the midriff of the Skeleton, impacting so much force to cause the large creature's upper body to fold towards one side. The club imprinted not on the bones, but rather left behind a little slime of meat juice and lamb flavor. Then aided by the momentum of his forward motion, he slammed the shield into the pearly skeletal face with a most satisfying crunch. Now he's almost pressed against the bony structure, for if he were to put an arm out, he can wrap the thing in a warm embrace, not that he would want to, but as luck would have it, his closeness saved him from a third swing of the scythe. And only the skeleton's arm resting on his shoulder alerted him to his close shave, and without even feeling the arm pulling back, he moved, sidestepping out of the way of the blade's path back towards the skeleton.

During his dodge, he made sure to brush up against the robe of the skeleton. And towards the end of him stepping a quarter circle around the rejected customer, he swung out with a kick right to the back of the bony knee. As the skeleton crumpled, his nose caught the first whiff of lamb flesh roasting and he brought leg down hard, slamming it right into the head, making the thing crash instead of simply falling to its knees. The skull now had an unnatural tilt to it, but Phork did not take any chances. He stepped back two quick steps and instead of doing what he had planned, he crouched and put up the shield. His view over the top of the skeleton had revealed danger in the form of flying light projectiles, and in lieu of discovering firsthand what they did, he put as much obstacles between him and them as possible. Behind the skeleton and a slab of meat smelling more like it's burning, he avoided the light fragments.

After a brief moment, Phork stood up once more, and with the words "Fire Lord, I give this to you", he watched the robe wrapping the skeleton catch fire and surround the being with a final pyre. He tossed the not Evenly cooked with both Well done and raw depending on which Side, “EW Half and Half Chef Saturday Special”, ribcage shield onto the flames for good measures. Landing with a thump, the shield collided with the burning skeleton and within mere moments the flames became one and indistinguishable between which source provided which initial spark of life. All that mattered was the skeleton would no longer possess whichever life it had to terrorize the food business setup.

Stepping out from behind the flames, Phork quickly deduced from the direction of the light who might have attacked him and narrowed the options down to two. And taking into account one's history poorly hiding the light used in attacks, Phork settled on the man in black. Even though he was relieved to see no visible damage on his make-shift diner nor on his backpack, he had to make sure the important stuff within are not damaged. Fortunately, they were close to the ground and missed the blunt or most of the light shards or Phork would have wished much more retribution for vandalism and purposely assaulting a proprietor.

With the flame almost dying on the lamb leg, he launched it towards the odious light man. Immediately, he darted towards his bag. In motion, he raised an arm to his mouth and bit off a section of hair. Retribution will not wait for backpack recovery.
AQ  Post #: 21
7/21/2009 6:37:38   
Mirai

Kalen looked at Chad for a long moment, weighing up the man’s words.

A trick? Does he seek to distract me from some new attack? Or is he really mad enough to want to introduce himself in the middle of a battlefield? Whatever, if I can keep him talking, it gives me moments more to heal. And the speed with which he dodged my hammer blow… that has to be magical. Which means of course, the longer I can stay close to him…

Suddenly, Kalen smiled, green eyes crackling with amusement at the situation. Moments before, he had been battling with this man for his life. Now they were going to exchange introductions. It was funny really, for the names of men, even their generations, were as leaves, scattered by the winds, budded and born by the forests. With each generation, new names, new individuals sprung forth, and ceased. Even whole generations of leaves, whole forests, could be burnt down, destroyed, and scattered in chaos’ furnace. Now he was a lone leaf, bereft of his people, blown only by fate’s ill will. Alone, with but a name, to scream into the void. Hilarious even.

“Greetings honorable Chad Sleas of the clan Eletic. I have heard of your people, and of their deeds. Your skills do them credit.”

Kalen paused, and flexed the fingers of his gauntlet, privately pleased that they had finally regained the flexibility to move once more. Even as the moments passed, he could feel life returning to his tortured left arm, as his blood raced about the limb, displacing heat to the air. Similarly, tissues had begun to knit together about his ankle, stitching themselves together in a joyous regathering of life’s energy. He needed to keep Chad talking.

Awkwardly he crouched to the ground to retrieve a throwing knife that Chad had previously knocked to the ground. He turned the weapon over in his hand, noting the blade was still sharp, apparently having suffered minimal damage from his foe’s chain. Judging the weapon to remain serviceable, he tucked it back into his black leather belt.

“My name is Kalen Kalthain, of the Drak. My people are no more, but once I hailed from a city called Narlich. Darkness has fallen upon its once fair streets now, and I have become a wanderer. ”

Kalen paused once more, smoothly rising from his haunches. While on the floor, he had noted the channels and funnels that criss-crossed the ground, conduits by which blood from wounded contestants could dribble down to the drains. He’d no burning desire to shed more precious life fluid in this chamber, much as it seemed inevitable.

“It would seem today that we both fight for the glory of the energy lord. But perhaps we can resolve our battle for his favour after we have dealt with the sorcerer who attacked us both. What say you, great hearted Chad? Shall we unite our energies to slay the spellsword, our mutual foe?”
AQ  Post #: 22
7/21/2009 22:52:51   
2009light

Chad kept an eye upon the battlefield even though all seemed still and quiet except for the conversation with his opponent. Random attacks at those who least expect it are to be expected. Here in the grand Elemental Championships, there are no cheap blows or shots. Anything goes, including backstabbing, biting, and any other dirty tricks. Even the smell of the freshly cooked meat could lead one to his deathbed. Chad's eyes finally fell over upon a stout little man who apparently thought of this arena more as a kitchen then a fighting ring. So that's where the smell of meat came from.... He wasn't to be underestimated. The Lord bid us to be different: by demons, as a competitor, he was different! The chef may have Chad on the menu if he didn't watch himself. That meat, although tempting, it was only bait. Just another trick in the book.

He couldn't resist a smile at the comment towards him and his clan despite his aching pains. The tickle of blood down his cheek wouldn't stop, the cut in his arm has ended its burning, and his legs were gashed. His movements will become slower, but he can't let those stop him. They were petty wounds, and what would his Lord think of him if he couldn't handle something like this? Besides, his pain was eased by the compliment. He was here for honor, and already it seemed as though Chad has gotten a good start. If your opponent can't respect you, then why would anyone else? Although whether that praise is genuine or a way to lower his guard, Chad had no way of knowing other then gut feeling. At the moment, his gut wasn't telling him much except to stay on guard.

After crouching to the ground, his enemy announced that his name was Kalen. Kalen... so that's your name. While others declare that a name and a face are meaningless, I remember those I fight one-on-one. It's the least I could do, and I will remember this name...Kalen Kalthain.

Chad listened silently until Kalen had finished his speech. A temporary alliance.... It seemed as though his Lord did plan this out. Only does the Lord know how random events lead to another and how those events intertwine to form fate and destiny. This is no exception.

"Glory for our Lord comes before my own. It is though him that I receive honor. As a fellow comrade fighting in his name, our original battle can wait until the other is vanquished. With our combine power, the spellsword shouldn't last long. As for you, Kalen Kalthain of the Drak, your skills are also quite extraordinary. While your people no longer walk upon Lore, they reside beside the Energy Lord. I'm sure they're watching this tournament and are proud to call you kin."

Chad waited a moment or so to let his own words sink in. He spoke what he believed to be true, but also planned that his comment would prove his respect for Kalen. Perhaps if they continue their battle once again, the energies surrounding it will not be of mystery, but of mutual respect. Chad turned to see more clearly the spellsword that had attacked them. His hands began to move. The chains began to swirl around, gaining speed, power, and energy. The storm will pick up again, and he will be part of the thunder and lightening duo that will wreck havoc upon the Lord's enemies. "Enough talk. It's time for action." While his eyes were upon his enemy, he also kept check upon his new ally. He could be hit from behind at any moment in the fight, and despite Kalen's words, trust wasn't to be given so lightly here in Spike.
AQ DF  Post #: 23
7/22/2009 18:20:45   
ringulreith

Blaze rested in the shadows, observing the chaos his light shards were making. Slightly exhausted from his effort, his breath came as steady panting, chest heaving up and down in a steady, calm rhythm. He was not surprised to see that his shards had not done as much damage as he had hoped for, but that was explainable He was in the Elemental Championships, where the strongest warriors Lore could offer came to pit their strength and wit against each other, and fight for the favor of their lord. Therefore, it was expected that such an attack would yield minimal results, and it was childish to think otherwise. As Blaze stood there, leaning on his prized katana, contemplating such thoughts, he caught sight of a long, flaming object flying through the storm of sharp daggers. And it was heading straight for him!

Mentally slapping himself for not being more attentive, he prepared for the impact. As it got closer, he could see it was in the crewed shape of a leg, though of what composition he could not guess. The flame was starting to die down, and when it got within a spear’s length in distance, the fire had completely burned out. His left arm whipped in front of him, the sharp edge whistling through the air. A sharp crack sounded as the leg hit the shield, small fragments clicking against the cold metal floor.

A slight gasp escaped his mouth as he felt pain erupt from his left shoulder. A split second after the pain began, he saw a yellow wave, probably of electricity, dissipate into thin air near his left shoulder. As the pain subsided, he felt a slight tingling sensation all along his shield-baring arm; it did not hurt, but it was an annoyance none the less. Glancing down at his armor, he cursed. Where the electric wave had struck, the scales of his vest had taken on a black tint, and most of them were slightly charred.

Blaze stepped out from the shadows, the light from the high noon sun glistening off the steel scales that populated most of his attire. His katana, now proudly held in front of him, tip facing the clear blue sky, glittered in a bright display of simple beauty. His shield was held to the side, left arm swinging merrily. The two men that had been fighting previously, the chain-wielding blond that sported a blue vest and a black tunic, and the hammer-wielding one wearing a green shirt and a black cloak, had stopped their duel. By the looks of things, they had allied with each other, and were aiming to take him down. Both of them were talking to each other friendly, exchanging names most likely, and the chain-wielding man was spinning his chains menacingly in his direction. Stepping forward so that they could see him, he gave a small bow of greeting.

“Hail, fellow fighters. My name is Blaze, Blaze Drakestorm, and as you have seen, I fight for the light lord’s honor.” His voice was calm and friendly, but at the same time was strong and determined.

Now all he had to do was wait...
Post #: 24
7/23/2009 18:00:11   
Mirai

Kalen nodded in satisfaction as Chad accepted his offer of truce, and felt his lips twitch in a smile at the man’s words.

Proud to call me kin? I fear they would be more disappointed that a wretch such as I has chanced to be the last of our kind. But it’s a nice thought all the same.

Moreover, with the chain wielder at his side, he was confident the spellsword could now be overcome. Yet he would have to beware treachery from his erstwhile ally.

For trust was often not logical. Memories of one of Ialren’s puzzles bubbled in the a corner of his thoughts.

“So, you would like a riddle would you?”

Seated in the dusty chamber of Ialren’s library, Kalen and his fellow pupils nodded in eager delight. The oldest of them being but twelve, they were weary of reading through the dry histories of kings, queens, laws and legends. The air in the library was stale, as if it too had been bottled up for an age, and contributed to leaving the children lethargic and bored.

Indeed, few did not wish to be outside, enjoying the last warm days of Autumn, running through Narlich’s streets with joy at their games. Even now the sun's rays glimmered through the murky windows, the light catching upon the dust that floated about the ancient library. Still, if they could not be outside, hearing one of Ialren’s riddles would be no poor substitute.

The master considered for a few moments, his craggy brows crinkling in thought. Then his glacier blue eyes twinkled, and he ran his brown-spotted hands through his white beard.

“No riddle this, but it might interest you nevertheless.

Two thieves are arrested by the town guards. The guards have insufficient evidence for a conviction, and, having separated both suspects, visit each of them in jail to offer the same deal.

If one testifies against the other, and the other remains silent, the betrayer goes free and the silent accomplice receives the full 10-year sentence. If both remain silent, both prisoners are sentenced to only six months in jail for a minor charge. If each betrays the other, each receives a six-year sentence.

Each thief must choose whether to betray the other or to remain silent. Each one is assured that the other would not know about the betrayal before the end of the investigation. Imagine, younglings, that you are on of the prisoner. What would you do?”

Kalen and his friends discussed the puzzle, arguing this way and the other, some advocating silence, others betrayal. A few suggested confession, but they were quickly shushed in the name of resolving the riddle.

Finally, Ialren explained that in the puzzle, regardless of what their accomplice chose to do, each thief always received a lesser sentence by betraying the other. For instance, each could accurately say, "No matter what my accomplice does, I personally am better off betraying, than staying silent. If he betrays me, my betrayal will mean I suffer only 6 years in jail, rather than 10. If he stays silent, my betrayal will mean I suffer no time in jail, rather than 6 months. Therefore, for my own sake, I should betray my accomplice. Therefore the logical thing to do was to break trust, and betray.

However, Ialren continued, if the thief’s accomplice had similarly logical thoughts, then they would both betray the other, and both get a 6 year sentence: far worse that the 6 months suffered if they had both stayed silent. Rational decisions based on personal self-interest would actually result in each prisoner being worse off, than if they had- irrationally- chosen to lessen the sentence of their accomplice, at the cost of staying a little longer in jail himself.

Thus, Ialren continued, trust- while irrational- could bring greatest reward. Some scholars had suggested that society had created concepts like ‘honour’ and ‘morality’ to enable such trust, in the face of rational self interest. Others observed that rarely in life do our decisions have no longer term consequences, and thus trust was a more rational concept than the scenario initially presented: if the two thieves lived forever, and were able to play through the scenario again and again, they could talk through the situation and agree to trust one another- and punish the other in the future if they were betrayed. Whatever, the moral for the young Drak was both that trust was not to be forsaken lightly, and that betrayers were to be punished ruthlessly.

However, while such memories occupied a corner of Kalen's thoughts, a much larger part of his conscious psyche was occupied with the present, and in particular the platinum haired spellsword that had now emerged from the shadows. The man’s armour virtually screamed an allegiance to the light, a blazing sun painted over his breastplate, contrasting with the black scale mail that adorned his limbs. In the warrior’s left hand was a black steel kite shield, another sun adorning its center, newly splattered with what appeared to be… lamb? Reflexively, Kalen scented the air, and felt astonishment at tasting such succulence on the breeze. Furthermore, he noted the man’s chain links appeared to be particularly charred and blackened about his shoulder, where his electrical energies had struck. A plan forming, as the man introduced himself, Kalen began to work purposefully forward, flexing his left arm once more.

“Greetings mighty Blaze Drakestorm. Your magics have certainly been both impressive… and painful. But now I hope to put an end to your sorceries. I am Kalen Kalthain of the Drak. My people were shown no mercy by the orcs that destroyed us, yet I shall seek to give you such quarter should you desire it.”

Kalen paused, offering an opportunity for his erstwhile ally to also trade words with the black armoured knight, while he reached down, and plucked a throwing knife from his boot, partnering it with the newly regathered blade he’d tucked in his belt. Readying himself for action, he offered three more words to his foe.

“Now, prepare yourself!”

Springing into sudden motion, controlled adrenaline blasting through his veins, Kalen sprinted forward, hoping to close in on the handsome warrior before he could use his sorcerous powers once more. Pounding forward, he flicked his left gauntlet, sending the pair of throwing knives spinning horizontally through the air.

A mask of disgust momentarily covered his features at the angle of the weapons, each at neck height, but speeding well wide to either side of Blaze. Each would in fact connect with the deadly spikes that stood behind the green eyed spellsword. A groan passed through some onlookers in the crowd, concluding that the injuries to Kalen’s left arm had offset his aim.

Kalen’s features twisted in apparent anger at his own mistake, and, as he continued to charge forward over the floor’s pale blue metal, he wrenched his dagger from his belt, and hurled it, spearing through the air, perfectly aimed at Blaze’s midriff. A falcon plummeting towards its prey, the blade shot for the gap between scale mail vest and thigh protecting scale mail greaves.

Even so, as Kalen thundered on, war hammer readying to strike once more, a chant fluttered on the breeze, taken up by some few in the crowd: “Kill the one armed Drak! Kill the one armed Drak!”

< Message edited by Mirai -- 7/24/2009 2:58:10 >
AQ  Post #: 25
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Role Playing] >> The Championships >> =Elemental Championships 2009= Spike Arena
Page 1 of 212>
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition