Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

RE: Eragon - Epistler #2 *Warning - May Contain Spoilers*

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: Eragon - Epistler #2 *Warning - May Contain Spoilers*
Page 3 of 3<123
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/22/2009 12:33:10   
Firefly
Lore-ian

It's been a while since I read HP, but there is /no/ comparison between Harry's growth and Eragon's. Harry is shown as flawed, beatable, and definitely not all-powerful. And he never, ever, /even by the end of the series/, surpassed Dumbledore. His friends aren't Team Canon Fodder, but he doesn't rely on them for everything either. And Harry suffers far more defeats and even humiliations than Eragon, but he still rises up to do /the right thing/; the willingness to deliver justice is far more important to a hero than having kickbutt, godmoddy dragonrider skills. Anyhow, I can go on and on, but this thread isn't about HP.

Yes, "main character beats everyone" is rather common. Doesn't mean it's right though. I have said that "Eragon is popular for a reason" right? So yes, it does surpass many other works. But "main character beats everyone" is still a problem. I object to it whether it's in Eragon or any other book, so I can say with a clear conscience that I'm not being unreasonable or biased.

However, "killing everyone in sight" is /not/ common. Unless it's a world half empty and you have to do it to survive, or if you have a villain protagonist or a Byronic hero. And note that, when anti-heroes go on killing sprees, they get called out for it, big time. By both the author, audience, and /other characters/. When a character kills many and experiences no consequences, you bet the readers are going to complain no matter which book it happens in.

But I have to disagree with Khalim in that Eragon isn't flawed. He is. "C" just doesn't realize it. =P
AQ  Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> RE: Eragon - Epistler #2 *Warning - May Contain Spoilers*
Page 3 of 3<123
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition