Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Agatha Christie

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> Agatha Christie
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
8/29/2009 19:52:21   
Erason

Ahh, yes. One of the best-known authors in the world. What do you think of Agatha Christie's books? I was introduced to her, because I didn't know of her surprisingly, by my cousin, who showed me a Arabic version of one of her books a few month ago. I recently spotted one of her books at my local library, and picked it up and started it. I am now engrossed in it. So, what are your opinions of her, and her books?
AQ DF  Post #: 1
8/29/2009 20:22:25   
Ilø€IMPERIAL€ølI

Agatha... hm, I can't really say I know or even heard of her. She must be a good writer though.
Post #: 2
8/29/2009 21:03:17   
Erason

She's a detective mystery writer. She's sold roughly 4 billion books.
AQ DF  Post #: 3
8/29/2009 21:15:30   
WA
Constructive

Seriously 4 billion?

Anyways, I think she's very good. I first read And then there was one, and I love how she leaves the clues in ways that let you guess certain people, and then explains exactly what the clues were at the end.
DF MQ  Post #: 4
8/29/2009 22:02:42   
Firefly
Lore-ian

Wikipedia lists her as the bestselling author of all time (by number of copies of her works sold), right beside Shakespeare.

That aside, I've only read a short story by her. Wonderful twist ending, extremely clever. However, mystery isn't for me, not even hers. I want to care about the characters, not the flashy tricks of the case.
AQ  Post #: 5
8/29/2009 23:32:50   
Erason

I'm currently reading Sparkiling Cynaide by her, and I must admit it's amazing. Every fifty pages or so, you feel sure that it that one, but then you change your mind...And their are underlying factors that can't be figured out.
I think she's moving up a few notch's on my fav authors list!
AQ DF  Post #: 6
8/30/2009 0:05:03   
Prator the Legendary

Hercule Poirot 15 t3h 1337z0rz!

Agatha Christie is probably my favorite mystery novelist, mostly because she's extremely good at presenting a complex story that can be "puzzled out," but is also a good enough writer that the reader probably will NOT figure it out 9 times out of 10 thanks to some clever misdirection.
AQ  Post #: 7
8/30/2009 14:35:37   
Erason

Well, well. I finished the book, and the ending was unexpected! It's amazing how you don't notice things.
AQ DF  Post #: 8
8/31/2009 6:55:10   
Fleur Du Mal

My problem with Agatha Christie's books is that with the exception of And Then There Were None --not a Poirot-book, btw-- I can't recall anything of them. I've read 5-10 books by her and most of them left no mark on my memory.

What I remember from her most famous character, Hercule Poirot is so permaeted by the TV-series and how David Suchet playes that role, that I can't even start comparing the character in the books to the character in the TV-series. In contrast to Christie's Poirot, Doyle's Holmes is very much alive in my mind and I actually can discuss some of the differences I have noticed between the part played by Jeremy Brett and the character of Holmes in the books.

Which tells me that Christie's characters in the book didn't come alive but stayed as curiosities for me.

This doesn't neccessarily mean that Holmes was any more human or better characterized, he just happens to have some traits I can identify myself with, whereas Poirot has none.

On the basis of And Then There Were None I could argue, though, that Christie is an entertaining writer and is able write and play out the questions of who, how, and why with all the subtleties that may apply, very skillfully.

And, as others have said in this thread, she is the queen of misdirecting the reader with all her cleverly placed clues. =P

< Message edited by fabula -- 8/31/2009 6:56:59 >
DF  Post #: 9
8/31/2009 7:43:34   
Highlord Sendai

Agatha Christie is possibly one of my fave. authors but still no where near...Arthur Conan Doyle with Sherlock Holmes.
DF MQ AQW  Post #: 10
9/1/2009 15:54:30   
Falerin
Legendary Loremaster

A fantastic author but her tricks have the unfortunate side affect of being nonmemorable. She herself considered much of her work to be pulp and thus of no consequence. Yet I think it fair to state she undersold herself. Pulp after all is of consequence itself imo.
Post #: 11
9/19/2009 1:59:15   
khalim456

Got introduced to Agatha's works quite unexpectedly. After finishing our English Major Work, out teacher decided to show us the 4:50 from Paddington film adaptation. The twist was a bit on the weak side though, I won't spoil it for those who haven't read or seen it, if you're curious, just go and wikipedia it, or even better yet, read it XD.

Maybe I'll start reading her works. By all accounts her books on Hercule Poirot seems to be of exceptional quality (or so I've heard).

I've just finished 11 of her books in one sitting on one Saturday.

Now I know why she is considered as one of the leading Crime Writers in the world.

I have to admit, I do not like Poirot - his arrogance rubs on me the wrong way.

< Message edited by khalim456 -- 11/23/2009 7:22:14 >
AQ  Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> Writers of Lore >> [The Workshop] >> Craft Discussion >> Agatha Christie
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition