Home  | Login  | Register  | Help  | Play 

Issue 46 - Slipping Away until Reunion (Eukara)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 46 - Slipping Away until Reunion (Eukara)
Forum Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
9/4/2009 14:09:02   
Eukara Vox
Legendary AdventureGuide!

Slipping Away until Reunion
by Eukara

The sun set and the sun rose day after day, the heat came down and never relented, giving Chrysa more and more reason to hate where they were. Namaran flew as low as possible, but more often than not, he was stuck at higher altitudes because of human activity along the coast. Both the dragon and Diren were frustrated, knowing that it would be harder to find Talvan stuck in the clouds. That, compounded with Chrysa's deteriorating condition, made the journey hard.

Eventually, the forest began to break into dark green swaths flanked by grass and rivers. One river in particular drew Chrysa's attention and her need follow it was inexplicable, but both Diren and Namaran heeded her insistence and began to scan the forest and riverbanks for Talvan. Chrysa looked on, her face a mix of hope and emptiness.

The stress of separation was beginning to affect her physically. She had paled significantly and her face seemed hollow. Her hold on Diren in the saddle was loose, causing him to frequently check to make sure she was there. When they walked along an open area when Namaran needed to rest, she moved slower and rarely ate or drank.

Long ago, the separation had already affected her mentally, as she had slowly become more and more withdrawn and distant. Diren could see it in her eyes. The longer they looked for Talvan, the further away she became. If this is what it is like to lose your Dragon while both rider and dragon are alive... I never want to know what it is like to lose one completely to death.

Usually, dragon and rider die together, Diren, so the likelihood that you will have to endure such pain is almost nil. Most of the pain, you cannot see... Which is what usually drives dragonless dragonriders into becoming the soulless shells that are mentioned in stories.
The turbulence above the forest caused a sudden drop in altitude and Namaran strained against it to rise again. You need to make sure you keep in physical contact with her. Skin contact, so if you must, force her riding gloves off and hold her hand. Not that you don't want to already.

Shut up, you overgrown lizard.
Diren did as Namaran said, noting that it took no effort whatsoever to get her glove off her left hand. She didn't fight, she didn't flinch... She just sat there and allowed it. This wasn't the Chrysa Diren admired, and he knew their window to making her whole again was closing fast.

Her back burned... Every muscle, every tendon and ligament screamed in agony. Yet, there was no way that Talvan was going to admit anything to Niske. That Harpy of a Wyvern would just love to know I am hurting. I bet he would enjoy every tear I would cry if I allowed myself to ask for a rest.

Niske was trying hard to ignore the loud grunts coming from behind him. He couldn't wait to get back home, as his grandmother was being honoured this evening. He suddenly glowered at the horizon. At this pace, that stupid dragon will make me late for the ceremony. Talvan's rider should be lashed for allowing her to be so out of shape. Proper dragon... Not within a thousand miles of here. He looked behind him and huffed. Pushing his wings harder, Niske sped up. Suddenly, his mother's command to protect and deliver Talvan mattered no longer.

Pure indignation fueled Talvan's flight. She was not going to be left behind, no matter what. The harder Niske pumped his wings, the harder she did too. But, she was slower than him and, sadly, began to see him pull away. She wasn't going to lose sight of him, even if it killed her.

Night fell, and with it, Diren's desire to go on. He mentioned to Namaran, that once the great dragon found a place to rest, he should land. The crimson dragon began to descend, passing over the finger-like expanses of a lake below them, and aiming for a different kind of forest. They had spent much so much time over the tropical forests that Diren found the change in forest texture comforting.

Namaran flew on, lowering more and more until Diren realized where they were going to land. In the distance, a large area of forest had been cleared. It looked horrible, but Diren knew that it was something that happened in these parts. He turned to tell Chrysa that they had found a place to spend the night, but upon turning his head, he knew talking to her was useless. Her eyes were vacant.

He held her hand tightly, and mindspoke with Namaran. I don't know what to do. She's so... Unresponsive, so absent. If we don't find Talvan soon, will I lose her?

I don't like the answer to that question anymore than you. The sad thing here is that I believe Talvan's youth has her oblivious to the separation.

What?
Diren blinked, surprised. You mean to tell me that Talvan doesn't feel this?

I don't believe so. If she was, we would have found her listless body along the path Chrysa insists on taking. I would be able to sense a dying dragon more than a living one.
Namaran shook his great head. I am afraid, Diren, that her youth makes her bond to Chrysa in this manner weak. Chrysa bonded to Talvan at a later age than most. It was a very strange bonding. You know as well as I that childhood bonding is better. And this is one of the reasons why.

But... Surely she misses Chrysa?
Diren nearly yelled mentally.

Knowing that dragon, if she is preoccupied by something that either confuses her or challenges her, she has a type of tunnel vision. And with their bonds weakening because of what was cast on them by D.U.M.B., she may not be in the frame of mind to recognise trouble.

Diren closed his eyes and looked down at the pommel of his saddle. He was having trouble digesting all that Namaran said. As his dragon gracefully landing in the midst of the huge clearing, he tried to figure out how to get Chrysa off of Namaran and on the ground. The last time they landed, she was still somewhat aware. But now...

Namaran, I am going to need you to help me get her down. It will be very ungraceful, but I don't know what else to do. What do you think, if I got off and then you rolled to the side slightly, she could slide off and I could catch her?

Namaran snorted. Yeah, if you intend on breaking her wings. How about if you just turn around, pick her up and hold her and I pick you up with my mouth. I am that flexible you know.

Diren slapped his forehead. Of course. Diren turned around in his seat and faced Chrysa. "Chrysa, Namaran found us a place to sleep for the night. It should be nice and calm."

Chrysa sat silently with eyes unblinking. She registered neither his movement nor his voice. Sighing, Diren got into a kneeling position and pulled Chrysa up from the saddle. He slid one arm under her legs and hefted her up into a cradling position. He wanted her to protest, to fight, but she didn't. Alright, Namaran. I am as ready as I will ever be.

Grunting, Namaran bent his neck sideways and back. His mouth barely reached the back of Diren's riding jacket, but it was enough to get a small hold. He lifted Diren by his jacket and slowly moved his charge to the ground. Once Diren felt steady, he asked his dragon to release his grip so that Diren could begin to make camp. Set up didn't take long, as Diren had no motivation to cook food. He spread out a blanket next to Namaran and laid Chrysa on it, up against the dragon's hide. He forced her to drink some water and then ate some jerky before settling down himself.

He laid next to Chrysa, and without consulting Namaran, put his arm around her. Namaran said contact was good, so he was going to continue to heed his dragon's advice. He hoped that he wouldn't pay dearly for this when they found Talvan and Chrysa's senses came back online.

I feel like I am dying. Everything feels so heavy and dreary. I swear, if Chrysa ever makes me fly this far, I will protest quite loudly. Talvan continued her protestation flight, and despite her continual complaint, never once let up. She could still see Niske and had followed him along the river, over the dark green forests, over the lighter forests and now over the grasslands. So, when Niske suddenly dove towards the ground, she knew exactly where he was based on the trees and followed his actions, twenty minutes later. As she neared his point of landing, she could see a gathering of Wyverns, great and small. Such a gathering was so wondrous that she nearly missed her cue to land.

Wings sore and tired, limbs stiff and head buzzing from anger, Talvan finally landed on the outside of the Wyvern circle. The fact that she landed outside the circle, rather than right smack in the middle of it escaped her own attention. She quietly walked towards the Wyverns, looking for Niske. She wanted to give him a piece of her mind.

As she searched, she studied the Wyverns gathered and noticed such diversity that she had to pause a few times to take in all the patterns, colors and size. A few times she caught herself staring at the more exotic adults standing around talking. A glance or two caused her to move ahead. Eventually, the adults began to appear younger and younger. A small voice carried over the wind, a small, plaintive voice that was highly distressed.

Rounding a corner, Talvan saw what was the most beautiful Wyvern she had seen yet. Her small, fine scales reflected the setting sun, swirling gold, red and bronze in with the deep green of her hide as it peeked through the scales. She towered over another Wyvern, a much smaller one sputtering under her fierce glare.

"I told you to bring her here, Niske. Not leave her behind... Not fly as fast as you could knowing she struggle... You did not do as I asked!" the beautiful Wyvern growled.

"But, Mother, she was going to make me late for Grandmama's ceremony. It's not my fault she's--"

"Don't! You have no right to judge anyone. You have no idea what has been going on. There is more at stake here than Talvan's safety." Niske's mother sighed and shook her head. "And because you did not obey me, nor did you communicate with me your ordeal, we have a larger problem on our hands."

Niske looked up at his mother, confused. "What do you mean? I got her here, didn't I?"

"You know nothing about the world, yet you are ready to be the judge and executioner. Dragons like Talvan bond with humans from hatching until the end of their lives." Niske made a move to speak, but a look from his mother cut him off. "And though I know you know this, what you don't know is how profound this bond is. Her human is slipping away, into the deep. Had you relayed to me the difficulti... We would not be in trouble right now."

Talvan stared at the mother Wyvern for a few seconds and slowly sat down. Chrysa is slipping? Slipping where? What is the deep? Suddenly afraid, Talvan jumped to her feet and ran at full speed towards the pair, breaking up their conversation. "What do you mean, Chrysa is slipping away?"

The female Wyvern looked down at Talvan with more compassion than she expected. "We have known for some time that your rider and bonded was not handling your bond breaking very well. She is hurting, Talvan."

Bewildered, Talvan stood beneath the kind gaze of Niske's mother. How come she didn't know that Chrysa was so bad off? "Why don't I know?"

"Your bond was mostly severed upon your kidnapping through a very strong magic. There have been many of us involved in tracking you down and trying to reunite you with your rider." Niske shifted his feet uncomfortably. "We knew that your recovery was important and most of us in the mythical world were disgusted by the work of D.U.M.B."

Niske looked at Talvan and then ducked his head. ... I am sorry Talvan."

Talvan glanced at Niske and bowed her head. She turned and walked away, far from the circle of Wyverns that had just begun to sing. The sound should have captivated her, but nothing felt right now. She remembered being lonely on the island, she remembered feeling empty. And now, she remembered what fear felt like.

Behind her, song rose, Wyverns danced and the fire flared. The elder Wyvern was honoured that night, for her age was great and had accomplished much. Chrysa would have loved to see this... She should be able to see this and she won't. Talvan cried and flopped on the ground. She covered her head with her forelegs and sobbed. Unbeknownst to her, Niske's mother left the celebration, flying south along the path Talvan had just taken.

Niske's mother flew fast. The pixies that whispered to her were panicked. The rider, the human female, was slipping faster than they had all anticipated. Her mother's instincts kicked in, further propelling her through the sky. I must get her now. Spirits grant me the strength to carry her, as I know the poor dragon that has accompanied her thus far is exhausted.

Diren laid next to Chrysa, but he could not sleep. Her breath was shallow, her body deathly still. Yet to figure out if his mind was playing tricks on him, he could swear she felt cold. He felt helpless as there was nothing he could do.

Namaran slept heavily, his breathing shaking the ground as his snoring overwhelmed the area. In between each snore, Diren swore he could hear the beating of wings. And the longer he listened, the louder the beating sound became. He drew his daggers from beneath the blanket and rose slowly, stationing himself between the approaching mystery and Chrysa.

In a swirl of wind and dust, a Wyvern settled in front of him. "I am here for the female. You have little time to question me. I have Talvan back at my family rook. Hand her over please."

Diren didn't hesitate, more because he had no choice but to trust the creature. He steps aside. "Please... I don't want to lose her."

The Wyvern nodded and ambled over to the blanket. With a gust of wind, the Wyvern lifted off the ground and hovered over Chrysa. Gingerly, the Wyvern curled claws around her body and took off towards the north. "I will send someone before the sun rises. Look to the north!"

Diren watched the Wyvern disappear and sat down heavily.

Talvan's sobs drowned out everything else, even the approaching wing beats of Niske's mother. It wasn't until the grit of the dirt whipped around, battering her hide, that she noticed and looked up. The Wyvern lowered herself, and gently laid out Chrysa's body in front of Talvan.

Talvan jumped up, upset at Chrysa's condition. She ran over and nuzzled her rider, but received no reaction. She laid down next to Chrysa, wondering how it was that her bond-sister seems so much smaller. Nevertheless, Talvan made sure that she is cuddling up to Chrysa, moreso than she had ever done in her life. There she fell asleep and the Wyvern left them to slumber.

As promised, a Wyvern did arrive before the sun rose. Without a word, Diren climbed into his saddle quickly and nodded to the beast. Namaran took off in a flurry of branches, dirt and wind, and followed the lightning-quick Wyvern.

The time went slowly to Diren, as he was afraid that whatever the Wyverns had tried that night hadn't worked. He was afraid that he would find Talvan in full health and Chrysa dead or close to it.

But that would make you hate Talvan.

Yes it would,
Diren replied. Because in all this, that overly self-absorbed Dragonet never thought about anyone but herself. Had she thought about Chrysa at all... she would have found her.

She is young and well, a challenge. But don't hang this on her head. I can assume she feels worse about this than you want to believe.

I hope you are right.
Diren sighed and continued to scan the horizon.

As they neared the area, the remnants of a bonfire stood out in stark contrast to the grassland that stretched for miles. And off to the side, Diren saw the only thing that would have made him happy: Chrysa standing, albeit weakly, hugging a much larger Talvan.
AQ DF MQ AQW Epic  Post #: 1
9/10/2009 22:04:17   
kasama999

quote:

"You know nothing about the world, yet you are ready to be the judge and executioner. Dragons like Talvan bond with humans from hatching until the end of their lives." Niske made a move to speak, but a look from his mother cut him off. "And though I know you know this, what you don't know is how profound this bond is. Her human is slipping away, into the deep. Had you relayed to me the difficulti... We would not be in trouble right now."

Shouldn't this be difficulty?

But this is good.

Best dialogue for me:

quote:

But that would make you hate Talvan.

Yes it would, Diren replied. Because in all this, that overly self-absorbed Dragonet never thought about anyone but herself. Had she thought about Chrysa at all... she would have found her.

She is young and well, a challenge. But don't hang this on her head. I can assume she feels worse about this than you want to believe.

I hope you are right. Diren sighed and continued to scan the horizon.
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Gaming Community] >> [Legends and Lore] >> The Zardian >> Issue 46 - Slipping Away until Reunion (Eukara)
Jump to:

Advertisement

Icon Legend
New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Content Copyright © 2018 Artix Entertainment, LLC.

"AdventureQuest", "DragonFable", "MechQuest", "EpicDuel", "BattleOn.com", "AdventureQuest Worlds", "Artix Entertainment"
and all game character names are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Artix Entertainment, LLC. All rights are reserved.
PRIVACY POLICY

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition